PDA

View Full Version : Animal Collective, not at Coachella...

Sebnoize
01-19-2009, 07:15 PM
We should get the confirmation in a few hours, but Animal Collective just added a date for Vancouver on May 24th. Not sure if there was any chance they'd be back this year but now seem more likely they'll be at Sasquatch then Coachella

moomoo
01-19-2009, 07:16 PM
...wow...

this board is a shithole

coolhandluke
01-19-2009, 07:17 PM
You sir are a fucking retard. May 24.... April 17.....

TommyboyUNM
01-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Yeah it's pretty shitty that they installed that rule that says a band can only play one music festival per year.....

woogie846
01-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Yeah it's pretty shitty that they installed that rule that says a band can only play one music festival per year.....

hahahaha Jack Johnson

ZackQ
01-19-2009, 07:22 PM
We should get the confirmation in a few hours, but Animal Collective just added a date for Vancouver on May 24th. Not sure if there was any chance they'd be back this year but now seem more likely they'll be at Sasquatch then Coachella

Animal Collective played three festivals last year including Coachella and All Points West. They were actually the main anecdote used in a Spin Magazine about bands who are not going to tour anymore, but rather make more money off of festivals exclusivly. I think it's likely they will be at both, if not more.

Boourns
01-19-2009, 07:31 PM
I am starting to think that they will end up not playing Coachella since they are at the Wiltern a month later. But then again, they would really sweeten the pot for a lot of people, especially those that live in non-major cities that will get ignored. Guess we will find out next week or next month.

moomoo
01-19-2009, 07:31 PM
I don't know if I laughed harder at the failure of his deductive reasoning. or at the fact that he thinks the lineup is coming in a couple of hours.

Lurker_in_a_tree
01-19-2009, 07:32 PM
is AC really neccessary this year considering they are playing at least 3 shows in Socal in the first half of the year alone? plus they already played Merriweather last year at coachella? just saying.
i'd kinda rather spend my Coachella seeing bands I haven't already seen 5 times.

DRcube
01-19-2009, 07:34 PM
some of us havent seen them,
and this would be a cool place to see them

sbessiso
01-19-2009, 07:34 PM
this thread title is misleading and offers false hope

Mister DVNO
01-19-2009, 07:36 PM
You guys, Animal Collective is playing Coachella. Merriweather Post Pavillion. MPP = 9 syllables. Animal Collective. 6 Syllables. Panda Bear. 3 Syllables. 3+6+9 = 18. The number of times I've tripped the fuck out looking at the MPP album cover = 4. 4/18.

Animal Collective will be playing 4/18.

FUCK I JUST BLEW YOUR MIND

DRcube
01-19-2009, 07:39 PM
http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/i-see-what-you-did-there/1/ohoq9.jpg (http://www.funnyforumpics.com)

FurtherDownTheRabbitHole
01-19-2009, 07:40 PM
this board is getting really bad, and i've only been here for a week

Boourns
01-19-2009, 07:41 PM
is AC really neccessary this year considering they are playing at least 3 shows in Socal in the first half of the year alone? plus they already played Merriweather last year at coachella? just saying.
i'd kinda rather spend my Coachella seeing bands I haven't already seen 5 times.

Yeah, but tickets for those Wiltern and Troubadour shows are over $9000 each. And not every Coachellian lives in LA.

napaquetzalli
01-19-2009, 07:44 PM
i could see animal collective every night for the rest of my life.

Lurker_in_a_tree
01-19-2009, 07:44 PM
good point. however, they still already played last year (not that that has stopped GV in the past)
Oh well, if they're up against the Killers, I'll see them again. This is AC's year, after all.

Pixiessp
01-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Yeah, but tickets for those Wiltern and Troubadour shows are over $9000 each. And not every Coachellian lives in LA.

I paid $8500 for mine.

Mister DVNO
01-19-2009, 07:47 PM
I was there when the played last year, and the loudest cheer all night was when they went into Fireworks. I think the crowd was restless considering AC didn't play "crowd favorites" (Grass, Peacebone, Reverend Green, etc) or played remixes of songs from albums too far ago (Chocolate Girl). With the hype MPP and the praise it's gotten, I don't see why AC would turn down a second shot at playing MPP.

By the way, I've got a 30 second clip taken last Coachella of what I've recently realized was Brothersport.

Boourns
Yeah, last year they played during the only Portishead performance we will ever see. And it looks like they will be a lot bigger this year. Just sayin'

Mister DVNO
I paid $8500 for mine.

Double post.

GTFO, I sold mine face value when I couldn't go.

clumsy342
01-19-2009, 07:49 PM
I paid $8500 for mine.

That's weird.. Because I ran into Avey at Circle K. And I was like: "Hey, I wanna go see your band live." And he was all like: "Why? We suck." And then I go: "Well.. this chick I'm bangin heard you were supposed to be good." And he goes: "Well.. here's free tickets. Sell them and go fuck that bitch." And I was like: "Lolz!"

Just kidding... I fucking love Animal Collective. Can't wait to see them in Portland.

kreutz2112
01-19-2009, 07:50 PM
I am starting to think that they will end up not playing Coachella since they are at the Wiltern a month later. But then again, they would really sweeten the pot for a lot of people, especially those that live in non-major cities that will get ignored. Guess we will find out next week or next month.

And especially since I missed them last year. Who was playing during them last year?

kreutz2112
01-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Maybe I should read the whole thread.

PotVsKtl
01-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Kraftwerk. Not Portishead.

Mister DVNO
01-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Maybe I should read the whole thread.

Or just check the schedule on the main page, they still have it up.

Boourns
01-19-2009, 07:54 PM
And especially since I missed them last year. Who was playing during them last year?

MIA and Kraftwerk, but they ended up crossing into Portishead's set because Scars on Broadway failed on life and were 25 minutes late.

It was Islands I was more bummed about missing.

clumsy342
01-19-2009, 07:56 PM
We missed about 4/5 songs of Portishead because of AC. But I don't regret it.
I got to see both.

Jman4321
01-19-2009, 07:57 PM
That's weird.. Because I ran into Avey at Circle K. And I was like: "Hey, I wanna go see your band live." And he was all like: "Why? We suck."

hilarious.

quicksand
01-19-2009, 07:58 PM

where do you see that tour date at?

pancakespancakes
01-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Either or Avey or Geologist has stated recently how much they love Coachella. Something along the line of this "is [their] favorite festival and they would love to come back." I wish I could quote it but I can't remember where that came from, unfortunately. I'm sure kitt kat knows. But the bottom line is that the ball is in Goldenvoice's court. It's all a matter of them being asked. And unlike Metric, who have made a similar statement recently, I think Animal Collective do actually have a strong chance of being asked, seeing as they're only getting more popular with this new album, and many who would have liked to have seen them last year (were stupid enough to have) missed them because of the timeslot they were given.

kreutz2112
01-19-2009, 08:00 PM
So it was on sat. I barely remember sat anyway. I was about blackout during kraftwerk and was talking to jennie. That's about all I remember.

pancakespancakes
01-19-2009, 08:02 PM

Boourns, you're perplexing:

A) I thought you hated Animal Collective with the passion of 1,000 fiery suns.
B) I thought you lived in LA.

Jman4321
01-19-2009, 08:02 PM
I was about blackout during kraftwerk and was talking to jennie.

Some people had vodka next to me during Prince and there is no doubt at all for me that one girl there was double blackout. She kept screaming requests for sexual favors from Prince.

clumsy342
01-19-2009, 08:03 PM
The intersting thing is that IF Animal Collective are back.. would they be sub-headliners?
I kind of think they would have to be.

Lurker_in_a_tree
I remember their appearance in 2006, their performance was soooooo universally hated on this board.
but it was the first time I heard Peacebone, and they played Safer, which became my favorite AC tune until MPP came out.

ELPOLLOLOCO
Animal Collective are boring...and they have been on the polo fields enough times...

quicksand
01-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Either or Avey or Geologist has stated recently how much they love Coachella. Something along the line of this "is [their] favorite festival and they would love to come back." I wish I could quote it but I can't remember where that came from, unfortunately. I'm sure kitt kat knows. But the bottom line is that the ball is in Goldenvoice's court. It's all a matter of them being asked. And unlike Metric, who have made a similar statement recently, I think Animal Collective do actually have a strong chance of being asked, seeing as they're only getting more popular with this new album, and many who would have liked to have seen them last year (were stupid enough to have) missed them because of the timeslot they were given.

In an email I sent asking if they were playing '08, Geo said that they love Coachella and would love to play it again. He said all the people in charge are really nice and treat the bands really well, therefore they (AC) respect the festival coordinators' wishes to keep it a secret until the lineup is out.

clumsy342
01-19-2009, 08:05 PM
I understand not liking them... but... boring? you think they're boring?

pancakespancakes
01-19-2009, 08:05 PM
I was there when the played last year, and the loudest cheer all night was when they went into Fireworks. I think the crowd was restless considering AC didn't play "crowd favorites" (Grass, Peacebone, Reverend Green, etc) or played remixes of songs from albums too far ago (Chocolate Girl). With the hype MPP and the praise it's gotten, I don't see why AC would turn down a second shot at playing MPP.

They would be moving on to their new material at that point. I doubt that they would be playing any MPP material by mid-April. And of course they certainly wouldn't do repeats of the songs they played last Coachella.

By the way, I've got a 30 second clip taken last Coachella of what I've recently realized was Brothersport.

Post it!! That was my favorite from that whole night. Probably my favorite performance of that whole weekend, next to maybe One Big Holiday and Life's an Ocean. And I always wanted to see a video of it... but of course the webcast at that point for Portishead.

Jman4321
01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
(were stupid enough to have) missed them because of the timeslot they were given.

Also, my logic in missing animal collective for kraftwerk was basically singularly based on the idea that animal collective would probably be around for quite some time as opposed to kraftwerk's age and rarity of touring. I heard animal collectives set was very, very good though.

pancakespancakes
In an email I sent asking if they were playing '08, Geo said that they love Coachella and would love to play it again. He said all the people in charge are really nice and treat the bands really well, therefore they (AC) respect the festival coordinators' wishes to keep it a secret until the lineup is out.

YES! There it is! Good work quicksand, you win.

Boourns
A) not anymore...I had gone back and forth between hate/like since early 2006 but I was really impressed with MPP and the novelty didn't wear off and become annoying like their last few albums did to me
B) yeah, but I have to speak up for the people that don't. Having grown up in a hellhole that 99% of bands don't play, I became sensitive to the agony of having desired bands playing only venues 4+ hours away. That, and I'm not in LA at the moment and won't be back until probably March. Closest venue that gets anyone is maybe an hour and half away and their upcoming schedule is nothing but tribute bands and juggalo crap. And there's still a chance that it might be later than March.

rage patton
Sweet. Looks like I'll be seeing Animal Collective.

pancakespancakes
01-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Also, my logic in missing animal collective for kraftwerk was basically singularly based on the idea that animal collective would probably be around for quite some time as opposed to kraftwerk's age and rarity of touring. I heard animal collectives set was very, very good though.

I saw more than half of Kraftwerk set (left after Autobahn, i.e., I saw all the good songs) and made second row for Animal Collective. My logic was precisely the same. And look what happened.

quicksand
01-19-2009, 08:07 PM
I'm thinking they'll play (cause they ARE playing)...

In The Flowers
New Song
Banshee Beat
Also Frightened
Daily Routine
Slippi
Guys Eyes

not in that order. hopefully they'll be able to play longer this year.

Boourns
01-19-2009, 08:09 PM

This is a confirmation. If they weren't playing, then there would be no secret to keep in the first place.

pancakespancakes
01-19-2009, 08:09 PM
The only song I think you'll get is "New Song." Just sayin.

WillyWonka5497
01-19-2009, 08:10 PM
the amount of logical thinking that goes into these threads is astonishing

"animal collective just added a date on May 24th so they're not going to be at coachella"

because that's make so much sense.

Jman4321
So the conflict was portishead and animal collective then? or portishead and kraftwerk both?

and yeah for prospective set-list predictors, be warned. I agree with pancakes. Usually they play a majority of unreleased material and splice it all up with their newer or more recognizable tracks

Mister DVNO
Looking for Brothersport. In the meantime, enjoy Fireworks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Cd7W6DGuM

clumsy342
01-19-2009, 08:11 PM
definitely Slippi and the New Song...
I do noooott want to hear Banshee Beat unless they perform it as it should be. Slowing it waaaaaayyyy down and leaving out the drums does nothing for it.

clumsy342
01-19-2009, 08:12 PM
So the conflict was portishead and animal collective then? or portishead and kraftwerk both?

Both. .. we checked out Kraftwerk for a while.. went to AC.. left AC when it was over and missed 4/5 songs of Portishead's set.

Mister DVNO
01-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Also, if you see yourself in that crowd shot at 1:30, please talk to me, I'd like to reconnect with everyone who waited through Islands with me.

Daft Fro
01-19-2009, 08:13 PM
They'll get Outdoor sunset slot this year.

Jman4321
01-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Both. .. we checked out Kraftwerk for a while.. went to AC.. left AC when it was over and missed 4/5 songs of Portishead's set.

That is a really unfortunate conflict. I didn't know it was that bad. Whoever chose M.I.A. then got double fucked

quicksand
01-19-2009, 08:15 PM
They'll get Outdoor sunset slot this year.

that's what i'm sayin

pancakespancakes
01-19-2009, 08:16 PM
The only Portishead song I missed was Mysterons. (I missed Silence too, but of course I didn't even know it yet). And I saw 100% of AC's set, from the very front. So again, I kinda think the Animal Collective conflicts thing is BS. But on the other hand, I like to run between acts. Fast. And I know I'm one of the few who does this...

Boourns
01-19-2009, 08:18 PM
If they don't play Brothersport, I'm throwing bottles.

quicksand
01-19-2009, 08:18 PM
I only saw 5 or 6 Portishead songs after AC. I was walking slow. I was real high.

clumsy342
01-19-2009, 08:19 PM
they should play the outdoor at 10.
They need lights... lots and lots of lights

Mister DVNO
01-19-2009, 08:20 PM
If they don't play Brothersport, I'm throwing bottles.

If they don't play Peacebone, I'm throwing bottles.

:'(

Jman4321
01-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Lol I really wanted like a front section spot for Portishead cause I wanted to see their set-up and stuff. When the back screen lit up with the singer's giant face it was somewhat frightening and disorienting

quicksand
01-19-2009, 08:32 PM
they should play the outdoor at 10.
They need lights... lots and lots of lights

oh shit i forgot about the lights. it should either be..

Outdoor Stage at sunset (no lights)
close the Outdoor Stage
close the Mojave

Sebnoize
01-19-2009, 08:36 PM
link to Vancouver date

http://www.sealedwithakisspresents.com/index.php

Maybe they'll be back for a 3rd time in 4 years and I'll see them again if they do, but that would mean 3 west coast trip in 5 months

napaquetzalli
01-19-2009, 08:39 PM
I only saw 5 or 6 Portishead songs after AC. I was walking slow. I was real high.

same here.
did that version of fireworks seem like, a half an hour long to anyone else?
best show of my entire year.

Mister DVNO
01-19-2009, 08:41 PM
same here.
did that version of fireworks seem like, a half an hour long to anyone else?
best show of my entire year.

Only because they went into another song during the middle of Fireworks.

Listen here: he's so offtune though =/

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A9Cd7W6DGuM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A9Cd7W6DGuM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>