PDA

View Full Version : Black Mountain...

frisbeee
02-09-2007, 01:39 PM
I definitely feel that that black mountain would fit in really well at Coachella...not to mention their music is amazing.

Anyone else with me?

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
02-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Saw them open for Coldplay, twice, I have no need to see them ever again.

frisbeee
02-09-2007, 02:50 PM
hahahahaha really? i seriously enjoyed them more then I did Coldplay when I saw them.

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
02-09-2007, 03:38 PM
They were ok technically speaking, but nothing about them or their music spoke to me at all.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
02-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I saw them on the Coldplay tour and I just thought they were dull.

Coldplay were not dull. Coldplay were anti-dull.

woogie846
02-11-2007, 09:24 AM
I saw them open for Coldplay, but truthfully, wasn't paying much attention to them. When I got home though, I typed them into iTunes and found that I liked some of their stuff.

dorkfish
02-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Well, they're touring as the Pink Mountaintops at the moment, so probably not...

kroqken
01-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Wow, they will be at Coachella 2008. I guess the ticket is wish for a specific band to play when they are not scheduled and tehy will appear the following year.

CurableOkie
01-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Glad I searched for this thread instead of making a new one... it's pretty cool.

Anyway, I just listened to Black Mountain and am definitely going to try to see them on Sunday.

Their new album "In The Future" is really good and it would be sweet if they decided to play all 16 minutes of "Bright Lights" :)

M Sparks
01-31-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm confused about all the "black" bands. Isn't there one that plays 80's thrash and everyone is 13 years old or something? Are they playing?

jonnypark
01-31-2008, 11:13 AM
isn't that turbonegro?

rage patton
01-31-2008, 12:05 PM
I am very excited about Black Mountain this year.

humanoid
01-31-2008, 12:44 PM
I am very excited about Black Mountain this year.

can't wait to see them either

paulb
01-31-2008, 12:46 PM
Ill check them out if there are no other conflicts

M Sparks
01-31-2008, 03:37 PM
isn't that turbonegro?

No, it's Black ______________.

It's not Black Kids- I've heard them. I don't THINK it's Black Lips. So I thought maybe it was Black Mountain, but I doubt they had a thrash band open for Coldplay.

GoEastYoungMan
02-20-2008, 08:29 AM
I saw Black Mountain perform last night at the Rock and Roll Hotel in Washington DC. Fucking awesome is what I have to say about that (Bon Iver was good too, for the most part, and those dudes can sing). Sold out shows on Tuesday nights give me a lot of hope the present state of rock and roll, and Black Mountain definitely held the torch for it last night. Amber Webber has one of the most intriguing female rock voices I have heard in a long while. Her mix of whiskey soaked blues undertones with her ridiculously powerful vibrato is both haunting and comforting at the same time, and complements perfectly the voice of band leader and guitarist Stephen McBean. Comparisons to Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd have been made and are in no way insulting, as they are taking the best parts of late 60's/early 70's psychedelic rock and updating these touchstones with minimal irony and much talent. Grooves were laid all over the place last night; drums, guitars, vocals, and bass were locked in and sewn together by the awesome sounds coming from keyboard/synth/rhodes piano. I managed to pick up their newest release, "In The Future" on vinyl. As an added surprise, the two disc LP contained a code to download the album in MP3 form, for free. This, I feel, should be the standard. If you enjoy psych/prog/bluesy rock, you are obligated to Thor to check this band out. I can't imagine them not setting the desert on fire with their searing performance.

In what turned out to be a sweet turn of events, NPR was recording last nights show for broadcast on all songs considered, and will be available from their podcast for free. Fuck yeah. You can listen to it now here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=19086361
There were some sound issues with the guitars being too loud for the first two songs but they got those ironed out by the third song.

ENJOY!

ArcadeParade
02-20-2008, 09:40 AM
thanks for the review, looking forward to seeing them :)

kreutz2112
02-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Nice review. I've seen them twice and they rock hard. Their drummer is the shit.

bonerfromgrowingpains
02-20-2008, 06:51 PM
its all about weedeater...they own all "stoner/doom" bands...

Memorial_07
02-20-2008, 07:37 PM
No, it's Black ______________.

It's not Black Kids- I've heard them. I don't THINK it's Black Lips. So I thought maybe it was Black Mountain, but I doubt they had a thrash band open for Coldplay.

damn...
you almost got my hopes up for a thrash band at Coachella.