PDA

View Full Version : boy, those Chinese sure like to SPIT

corbo
02-09-2007, 12:12 PM
i found this news article to be slightly amusing .lol.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=2860415&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

EIJING Feb 8, 2007 (AP) No spitting and get in line. That's the message Beijing city officials are trying to get across 18 months before the Olympics open in China's capital.

"Everyone will be fined for spitting," read the headline in Thursday's Beijing Daily Messenger.

In a city of 15 million, jumping ahead in line is common. So is spitting and littering, which officials hope to restrain in an effort to improve the city's image.

Officials have announced a range of measures including "punishment and reward" programs to improve conduct.

One campaign for "civilized behavior" kicks off Sunday in the Wangfujing shopping area, located just east of Tiananmen Square. This will be the first "Queuing Day," which will take place on the 11th of each month.

The 11th was picked because the two numbers 1-1 resemble two people lining up.

Spitting could start to become costly.

People spitting could be fined up to 50 yuan, or $6.50. In Beijing, 50 yuan is the daily income of a Chinese college graduate. It can also buy 16 subway tickets on the Beijing system.

"Fifty yuan is a fairly hefty warning for spitters," said Zhang Huiguang, director of the Beijing Civil Affairs Bureau. "The amount of money is not the most important, the most important is to warn people."

bug on your lip
02-09-2007, 12:20 PM
I lived in Beijing.

spitting is a big thing there, also little kids urinating & pooping in the middle of the sidewalk is perfectly normal there. In fact todlers walk around with a square hole in their outfit to allow them easy & immediate relief.
However they are just talking about policing one area, that is more affluent. (it's located between Tiananmen Square and the Diplomatic area)

full on idle
02-09-2007, 01:14 PM
do the adults pick up the toddler crap like in a little plastic bag like dog poo?

bug on your lip
02-09-2007, 01:24 PM
do the adults pick up the toddler crap like in a little plastic bag like dog poo?

HELL NAW

corbo
02-09-2007, 02:55 PM
do adults also relieve themselves on the sidewalks?

kimery08
02-09-2007, 03:00 PM
if so, did you?

DeltaSigChi4
02-09-2007, 03:40 PM
I lived in South America, and working-class men used to relieve themselves all the time on the side of the highway road (on the walls). They need to empty their bladders and continue working so I suppose that was the most convenient method for them. No fine as far as I noticed.

E

corbo
02-09-2007, 03:48 PM
is it really necessary for you to sign every post with an E?

DeltaSigChi4
02-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Yes.

E

corbo
02-09-2007, 03:50 PM
oh ok then....carry on.

StudioStatic
02-09-2007, 08:06 PM
http://www.fotofm.com/concerts/rhcp/rhcp/images/Red%20Hot%20Chili%20Peppers%20-%20Las%20Vegas%20Centennial%20Photos%20by%20PhotoF M.com%20-%20031.jpg

kroqken
06-15-2007, 05:55 PM
I think llamas spit even more than the Chinese do. I learned that if someone annoys a llama, it will spit in your face. Almost as bad as waht a skunk or a porcupine is capable of doing.

J~$$$
06-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Ken, do you spit?

kroqken
06-15-2007, 05:58 PM
That is a stupid question. I am HETERO.

corbo
07-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Chinese people continue to amaze me.

Chinese food 'made from cardboard'
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/07/12/cardboard.food.ap/index.html

BEIJING, China (AP) -- Chopped cardboard, softened with an industrial chemical and flavored with fatty pork and powdered seasoning, is a main ingredient in batches of steamed buns sold in one Beijing neighborhood, state television said.
art.cardboardfood.jpg

Steamed buns sold in Beijing contain 60 percent cardboard, a report on China Central Television said.

The report, aired late Wednesday on China Central Television, highlights the country's problems with food safety despite government efforts to improve the situation.

Countless small, often illegally run operations exist across China and make money cutting corners by using inexpensive ingredients or unsavory substitutes. They are almost impossible to regulate.

State TV's undercover investigation features the shirtless, shorts-clad maker of the buns, called baozi, explaining the contents of the product sold in Beijing's sprawling Chaoyang district.

Baozi are a common snack in China, with an outer skin made from wheat or rice flour and a filling of sliced pork. Cooked by steaming in immense bamboo baskets, they are similar to but usually much bigger than the dumplings found on dim sum menus familiar to many Americans.

The hidden camera follows the man, whose face is not shown, into a ramshackle building where steamers are filled with the fluffy white buns, traditionally stuffed with minced pork.

The surroundings are filthy, with water puddles and piles of old furniture and cardboard on the ground.

"What's in the recipe?" the reporter asks. "Six to four," the man says.

"You mean 60 percent cardboard? What is the other 40 percent?" asks the reporter. "Fatty meat," the man replies.

The bun maker and his assistants then give a demonstration on how the product is made.

Squares of cardboard picked from the ground are first soaked to a pulp in a plastic basin of caustic soda -- a chemical base commonly used in manufacturing paper and soap -- then chopped into tiny morsels with a cleaver. Fatty pork and powdered seasoning are stirred in.

Soon, steaming servings of the buns appear on the screen. The reporter takes a bite.

"This baozi filling is kind of tough. Not much taste," he says. "Can other people taste the difference?"

"Most people can't. It fools the average person," the maker says. "I don't eat them myself."

The police eventually showed up and shut down the operation.

J~$$$
07-12-2007, 05:01 PM
My dad is old,.......he would tell me of stories during the depression where hamburger meat was cut with sawdust to stretch it out for more people.

marooko
07-13-2007, 09:08 AM
did he walk up hill both ways in 10' of snow to get that HB meat?

thinnerair
07-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Some parts of Beijing be pretty gross. Bring hand sanitizer!!!

corbo
09-17-2007, 02:06 PM
now THAT's what i call EXTREME GAMING!!!!:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/09/17/internet.death.ap/index.html

BEIJING, China (AP) -- A man in southern China appears to have died of exhaustion after a three-day Internet gaming binge, state media said Monday.

The 30-year-old man fainted at a cyber cafe in the city of Guangzhou Saturday afternoon after he had been playing games online for three days, the Beijing News reported.
Don't Miss

Paramedics tried to revive him but failed and he was declared dead at the cafe, it said. The paper said that he may have died from exhaustion brought on by too many hours on the Internet.

The report did not say what the man, whose name was not given, was playing.

The report said that about 100 other Web surfers "left the cafe in fear after witnessing the man's death."

China has 140 million Internet users, second only to the U.S.. It is one of the world's biggest markets for online games, with tens of millions of players, many of whom hunker down for hours in front of PCs in public Internet cafes.

Several cities have clinics to treat what psychiatrists have dubbed "Internet addiction" in users, many of them children and teenagers, who play online games or surf the Web for days at a time.

canexplain
09-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Chinese people continue to amaze me.

Chinese food 'made from cardboard'
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/07/12/cardboard.food.ap/index.html

BEIJING, China (AP) -- Chopped cardboard, softened with an industrial chemical and flavored with fatty pork and powdered seasoning, is a main ingredient in batches of steamed buns sold in one Beijing neighborhood, state television said.
art.cardboardfood.jpg

Steamed buns sold in Beijing contain 60 percent cardboard, a report on China Central Television said.

The report, aired late Wednesday on China Central Television, highlights the country's problems with food safety despite government efforts to improve the situation.

Countless small, often illegally run operations exist across China and make money cutting corners by using inexpensive ingredients or unsavory substitutes. They are almost impossible to regulate.

State TV's undercover investigation features the shirtless, shorts-clad maker of the buns, called baozi, explaining the contents of the product sold in Beijing's sprawling Chaoyang district.

Baozi are a common snack in China, with an outer skin made from wheat or rice flour and a filling of sliced pork. Cooked by steaming in immense bamboo baskets, they are similar to but usually much bigger than the dumplings found on dim sum menus familiar to many Americans.

The hidden camera follows the man, whose face is not shown, into a ramshackle building where steamers are filled with the fluffy white buns, traditionally stuffed with minced pork.

The surroundings are filthy, with water puddles and piles of old furniture and cardboard on the ground.

"What's in the recipe?" the reporter asks. "Six to four," the man says.

"You mean 60 percent cardboard? What is the other 40 percent?" asks the reporter. "Fatty meat," the man replies.

The bun maker and his assistants then give a demonstration on how the product is made.

Squares of cardboard picked from the ground are first soaked to a pulp in a plastic basin of caustic soda -- a chemical base commonly used in manufacturing paper and soap -- then chopped into tiny morsels with a cleaver. Fatty pork and powdered seasoning are stirred in.

Soon, steaming servings of the buns appear on the screen. The reporter takes a bite.

"This baozi filling is kind of tough. Not much taste," he says. "Can other people taste the difference?"

"Most people can't. It fools the average person," the maker says. "I don't eat them myself."

The police eventually showed up and shut down the operation.

i heard after that news went out, the head of some company that was responsible for a lot of that, commited suicide .... tuff crowd .. cr****

corbo
09-17-2007, 02:15 PM
hmppth.. tragic.

PassiveTheory
09-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Wasn't there some Korean guy who kicked the bucket after playing games for a week straight, also?

Weird asians...

TomAz
09-17-2007, 02:24 PM
this thread is in the wrong lounge and NEEDS TO BE MOVED.

canexplain
09-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Wasn't there some Korean guy who kicked the bucket after playing games for a week straight, also?

Weird asians...

there was something online today i read where some chineese dude died after being online for three days stright. didnt say why he died though ... might have been the food, the cardboard food that is ... cr****

amyzzz
09-17-2007, 02:36 PM
i heard after that news went out, the head of some company that was responsible for a lot of that, commited suicide .... tuff crowd .. cr****
I heard this was a hoax.

EDIT: the hoax was the cardboard meat story I mean

canexplain
09-17-2007, 02:37 PM
and this is in the wrong part of the site ... wake up PF ... we are trying to follow the rules ... cr****

amyzzz
09-17-2007, 02:38 PM
who gives a rat's ass?

summerkid
09-17-2007, 02:49 PM
this thread is in the wrong lounge and NEEDS TO BE MOVED.

I thought this thread was going to be about Asian rappers.

8N-eANoO_eA

Edit: Well that was when it was in the music lounge.

canexplain
09-17-2007, 03:03 PM
who gives a rat's ass?

if it about the spitting, i dont give a rats ass .... if it is where a thread s/b, just trying to help out our friendly mod ... cr****

corbo
09-17-2007, 03:27 PM
there was something online today i read where some chineese dude died after being online for three days stright. didnt say why he died though ... might have been the food, the cardboard food that is ... cr****

something online today? dude are you high? i just posted that story a few hours ago in this SAME thread.

Ill_Eagle
09-17-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm still waiting for Mr. Nipples to whip out the 'FUCKING STUPID' pic.

canexplain
09-17-2007, 04:44 PM
something online today? dude are you high? i just posted that story a few hours ago in this SAME thread.

i was agreeing with you but wasnt sure if it was the same article ... so lite in up ...... cr**** oh and the answer to your question, at work when i posted that , no, now yes :)

fatbastard
09-17-2007, 08:46 PM
http://data.blogg.de/7285/images/spitting2.jpg

corbo
04-13-2011, 04:23 PM
The Chinese have banned time travel

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/12/making-tv-safer-chinese-censors-crack-down-on-time-travel/