View Full Version : dredg and The Mars Volta

GnarVee
01-16-2009, 02:19 PM
please.......?

both have albums due soon...

that is all.

pocket
01-16-2009, 02:30 PM
ugh.... id rather chew on glass shards while two huge dudes ear fuck me. that would be more enjoyable than those two bands...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-16-2009, 02:31 PM
mars volta need to get off the drugzz and make some music again...

lolwut
01-16-2009, 02:31 PM
please.......?

both have albums due soon...

that is all.

*yawn*

Sonicifyouwantit
01-16-2009, 02:32 PM
dredg played last year

Alchemy

For real. They haven't made music since 2003.

Jman4321
ugh.... id rather chew on glass shards while two huge dudes ear fuck me. that would be more enjoyable than those two bands...

He's not amused.

http://www.offthedial.ca/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/cedrc.png

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-16-2009, 02:33 PM
his eyes look all coked out...

Jman4321
01-16-2009, 02:35 PM
his eyes look all coked out...

Naw dooooooooood...he's ridin the waves of the 4th dimension mannnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Kid B
01-16-2009, 03:03 PM
I still want to see them live......

IngenJoolerie
01-16-2009, 03:06 PM
the volta would be dope :) only if they played at night though... and werent interfering with anything else like chem bros :P

sangreal
01-16-2009, 03:06 PM

when do you think they were not on drugs?

IngenJoolerie
01-16-2009, 03:07 PM
and yes dont talk s if u havent seen them live cause they are fucking on point and tight as hell :P cough acid

seanzie
01-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Remember At the Drive In? That would be a Coachella miracle!

At the Drive In >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Mars Volta
:poo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dredg

James
01-16-2009, 03:28 PM
volta would be killer. you guys must have missed Bedlam in Goliath, there were some solid tunes to be heard. it was no De-Loused, but it sure beat Frances the Mute. They put on a great show, assuming the sound is right.

atdi would be better, but it's not like we'll ever see them re-unite so we're stuck with TMV.

uniform72
01-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Folks sure love to hate The Mars Volta so I always feel inclined to chime in and provide the counterpoint. Oddly enough they were actually ON drugs when they were in At The Drive In but have been OFF drugs for nearly all of TMV. They went sober after the first album (when a close friend died from an overdose).

I clearly understand how the live shows will not please everyone (or even piss them off)... but as far a body of recorded work is concerned, The Mars Volta owns this decade.

drewdrewdrew
01-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Folks sure love to hate The Mars Volta so I always feel inclined to chime in and provide the counterpoint. Oddly enough they were actually ON drugs when they were in At The Drive In but have been OFF drugs for nearly all of TMV. They went sober after the first album (when a close friend died from an overdose).

I clearly understand how the live shows will not please everyone (or even piss them off)... but as far a body of recorded work is concerned, The Mars Volta owns this decade.

Amen to that. Id kill to see em play coachella, right around sunset.

Drewski27
01-16-2009, 06:14 PM
ive seen the mars volta a few times now and i have always had a blast. id would rather have them fuck my eardrums to a bloody pulp.

Drewski27
01-16-2009, 06:14 PM
but then again, ATDI is ATDI

Paixe
01-16-2009, 09:02 PM

Thank you.

alpharuin
01-16-2009, 09:35 PM

I was just about to make a similar post. Thanks.

woogie846
01-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Dredg doesn't deserve to play two years in a row.

pancakespancakes
01-16-2009, 11:26 PM

See, the thing is, they have been straight-edge-cold-turkey since one month before De-Loused in the Comatorium was released (and that album was recorded at the peak of their drug use). Frances the Mute, Amputechture, and The Bedlam in Goliath have all been written and recorded without any use of drugs. I may love De-Loused, but that's certainly the right way to do it in my opinion.

Their entire period in At the Drive-In (Omar & Cedric's anyway) was marked by an increasing and increasing addiction to crack and heroin and plenty of other opiates, as well as a lot of psychedelics, naturally. By the time Relationship of Command was recorded it had got out of control for Jim Ward to witness, so they all decided the band had run it's course.

So basically, what you're saying is that they should go back to using drugs and making "good" music?

pancakespancakes
01-16-2009, 11:27 PM

Hahaha beat me to it. (And apparently some other people). Amen to this. I happen to love them live as well, in fact they're one of my three favorite live acts next to My Morning Jacket and Arcade Fire, but yeah. They're not for everyone, (or for most people it seems), but for some of us, they truly have owned this decade.

rage patton
01-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Cedric was on a ton of cocaine when I saw them at Sasquatch. No doubt about it.

pancakespancakes
01-16-2009, 11:29 PM
Cedric was on a ton od cocaine when I saw them at Sasquatch. No doubt about it.

Haha. Well, if you say so. :D

microcuts
01-16-2009, 11:32 PM
Remember At the Drive In? That would be a Coachella miracle!

At the Drive In <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< The Mars Volta
:poo <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< dredg

Fixed.

pocket
01-17-2009, 12:35 AM
Cedric was on a ton of cocaine when I saw them at Sasquatch. No doubt about it.

serious, and didnt he throw some cymbol in the crowd and some girl had to get pulled out, i only watched the first two songs before i went over to another stage...

pocket
01-17-2009, 12:36 AM
Fixed.

god if you think mars volta is better than at the drive in, you suck. also shit, even smelly shit is better than dredg. i have been a dredg hater for a solid 10 years now since they were playing the gaslighter with trapt and papa roach.....

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-17-2009, 12:38 AM
I catched Dredg last year and they fucking sucked. They shouldn't be able to play coachella again.

psycobetabuckdown
01-17-2009, 01:43 AM
fuck that, dredg was great last year. their first album i don't have but they sound a bit gay on it. el cielo is deserving of massive amounts of respect (try "fixing" that quote). i understand pocket if you're hating on leitmotif, but they are badass now.

they're very dissimilar to mars volta except that people call them both new-prog. mars volta would be a solid enough sub-headliner to make up for a weak headliner (not as weak as the Killers, only Massive Attack or Puscifer could make up for that). I sort of agree that Mars Volta relies too much on that unintelligible wall of sound recently, but they're still worth watching and their first three albums have some great songs (I have temporarily given up on trying to look for a great song in Bedlam).

tHEdARKsIDE
01-17-2009, 03:09 AM
I would DEF be down with some Mars Volta!!!

atomhimself
01-17-2009, 11:14 AM
I saw The Mars Volta at Austin City Limits this past year. They were playing against Manu Chao. Out of the two, I was more of a Mars Volta fan. But, damn man... a lot of times the stuff they played didn't even sound like music. Occasionally, they would actually play some music. Most of it was this crazy avant-garde stuff, which is cool and all, but sometimes you need to limit that shit.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
01-17-2009, 12:38 PM
I saw The Mars Volta at Austin City Limits this past year. They were playing against Manu Chao. Out of the two, I was more of a Mars Volta fan. But, damn man... a lot of times the stuff they played didn't even sound like music. Occasionally, they would actually play some music. Most of it was this crazy avant-garde stuff, which is cool and all, but sometimes you need to limit that shit.

a perfect example of what Mars Volta has become.

Jman4321
01-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Some guy at my college was talking to a friend about a Mars Volta gig he saw in Santa Cruz. He recounted:

"dude it was so RAD. I smoked a fattie then went in and it was like mind blowing. At one point, they like, played a single keyboard note for like 8 minutes, just over and over, and then all at once just went right back into the fucking song! I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW THEY DID THAT!! *laughs*"

I remember it verbatim because it is easily one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

Memorial_07
01-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Don't repeat dredg two years in a row, but I'm all for Volta