PDA

View Full Version : !?!??!?!?!?!

Sleepingrock
01-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Why is Scoops rumoured line up have no big good names? Serious anwers please >.< this is my first year for coachella and im coming from Canada so i am kinda anticipating people as good as prince and rogerwaters..... any tips?!?!?!?!

jtovar21
01-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Expect the lineup to kick ass as usual, but I wouldn't bet money on any "huge name" headliners. That could be a good thing, less crowded means less clutter which means more fun for the hardcore Coachella fans!

Sleepingrock
01-15-2009, 02:42 PM
But seriously THE KILLERS >.< I could accept them for friday but we better have awesome stuff for sat and sun :P

stinkbutt
Why is Scoops rumoured line up have no big good names? Serious anwers please >.< this is my first year for coachella and im coming from Canada so i am kinda anticipating people as good as prince and rogerwaters..... any tips?!?!?!?!

according to everyone that supposedly knows anything we are not getting any good headliners or sub headliners

Sonicifyouwantit

stop right there. first coachella...HA. you just go and you will see how good it is and then you'll kick your self for ever doubting the lineup. don't make the mistake of so many who don't go off of what they think about the lineup, then regret not going when they hear how amazing the weekend was.

and GV has already made a statement that they arent spending another $1,000,000 on the likes of prince and/or roger waters. Prince was a total surprise and I wouldnt expect that again until Bowie or Talking Heads perform.

boarderwoozel3
In an interview, GV said that they got out of control spending way too much money on big names last year (Prince) and that they were going to reel in the budget on headliners in 09.

The Killers and Franz Ferdinand heavily rumored/confirmed and they're pretty big...

But yeah, the lineup is always impeccable from noon to midnight all three days, every year--except for the years with one or two days. So expect the same excellence this year as well.

Sleepingrock
01-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Hmm... thanks =D

hannibul
01-15-2009, 02:46 PM
cause hes a plant

brando4n82
01-15-2009, 02:47 PM
In an interview, GV said that they got out of control spending way too much money on big names last year (Prince) and that they were going to reel in the budget on headliners in 09.

The Killers and Franz Ferdinand heavily rumored/confirmed and they're pretty big...

But yeah, the lineup is always impeccable from noon to midnight all three days, every year--except for the years with one or two days. So expect the same excellence this year as well.

Franz = Great sub healdiner

Franz = Not a good headliner

Sonicifyouwantit
01-15-2009, 02:48 PM
I posted it somewhere else but just because they arent spending $1,000,000+ doesnt mean we are getting undercard acts as headliners...I wish everyone would stop that talk already! if they were hurting so much financially they would have made this year a two day not three day. Everyone stop saying undercards are headlining. thank you.

also, look how everyone bitched last year and then came back after the event totally praising the fest, and it was not just because prince/roger was there. the undercards rocked, HARD

FakePlasticMe
01-15-2009, 02:50 PM

Don't make the same mistake I did! I thought last year's lineup sucked when it was first announced then I soon saw Prince and Aphex Twin were added and it would be Portishead's only gig. Now I'll never get to see Portishead and I'll never forgive myself. Even if the initial lineup is weak, don't fret. Coachella is a living, breathing, ever-changing thing, what you see Mon is not necessarily what you'll see come April. Just go and enjoy the most awesome festival in the country. It'll be well worth it.

lolwut
01-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Personally, I think GV should do a charity type event this year.
Have huge headliners perform for little to no pay and just cut them a slip that they can write off.
What better way to play a festival than play it correctly when the economy is tough?
If a headliner showed up spontaneously that would be EVEN better.

If they are allowing lay away tickets this is totally possible.
They should also do a smaller campground with cheaper tickets.

In the case they are not disregard this entire message.

Gribbz
01-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Franz = Great sub healdiner

Franz = Not a good headliner

Agreed.

stinkbutt
01-15-2009, 02:53 PM
But yeah, the lineup is always impeccable from noon to midnight all three days, every year--except for the years with one or two days

Well congratulations you now have just won the dumbest post of the week award

Sonicifyouwantit
01-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Don't make the same mistake I did! I thought last year's lineup sucked when it was first announced then I soon saw Prince and Aphex Twin were added and it would be Portishead's only gig. Now I'll never get to see Portishead and I'll never forgive myself. Even if the initial lineup is weak, don't fret. Coachella is a living, breathing, ever-changing thing, what you see Mon is not necessarily what you'll see come April. Just go and enjoy the most awesome festival in the country. It'll be well worth it.

thing is, even thought there were some late adds it still had a great lineup before those bigger adds...most people didnt know the undercards at first and then people got to know the music and suddenly the festival was acceptable. People dont like taking chances if they dont know who the bands are. most didnt know mgmt or a few others and look how big theyve become now.

quicksand
01-15-2009, 03:02 PM
But seriously THE KILLERS >.< I could accept them for friday but we better have awesome stuff for sat and sun :P

If you would have read through that whole thread, you would have found the following post, as well as knowing that Scoop has admitted to working for or with GV. He even admitted that the whole Killers thing was a joke to throw the board/blogs/music sites off. And it worked. Look...

GUYS. The lineup is less than 2 weeks away. Chill! I'm going to put in my two cents, and then I'm done answering any questions until the lineup is out. I can promise you 3 things for 2009.

1. Da festival will be exceptionally Funky this year.

2. Coachella is going to rock hard. Really hard. There's a repeating headliner.

3. 2009 is going to be a golden year.

C'mon dude, there've been pages and pages discussing this. And like 5 threads alone discussing this.

1. Da festival is going to be Funky = DAFT PUNK

2. Rock Hard Really Hard Repeating Headliner... 3 RH's and mention of a repeat headliner = Radiohead

3. Golden Years is a very famous Bowie song

DAFT PUNK
RADIOHEAD
BOWIE

Come on man, Scoop works with Golden Voice and dropped 3 MAJOR MAJOR hints here. In the "LOCK IN YOUR HEADLINERS" thread, Scoop posted predicting that these 3 will play.

So that's what's up for headliners this year.

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-15-2009, 03:07 PM
quicksand....

SHUT
THE
FUCK
UP!!!

lolwut
01-15-2009, 03:13 PM
If you would have read through that whole thread, you would have found the following post, as well as knowing that Scoop has admitted to working for or with GV. He even admitted that the whole Killers thing was a joke to throw the board/blogs/music sites off. And it worked. Look...

C'mon dude, there've been pages and pages discussing this. And like 5 threads alone discussing this.

1. Da festival is going to be Funky = DAFT PUNK

2. Rock Hard Really Hard Repeating Headliner... 3 RH's and mention of a repeat headliner = Radiohead

3. Golden Years is a very famous Bowie song

DAFT PUNK
RADIOHEAD
BOWIE

Come on man, Scoop works with Golden Voice and dropped 3 MAJOR MAJOR hints here. In the "LOCK IN YOUR HEADLINERS" thread, Scoop posted predicting that these 3 will play.

So that's what's up for headliners this year.

You and I should sit down and discuss conspiracy theories. It'd be fun.
But I am so for the golden year... i'd poop myself.

Sonicifyouwantit
01-15-2009, 03:16 PM
I'll say this much if those were the headliners, I'd have no problem getting friends to confirm they are staying in my house that weekend and I wouldnt worry about eating a chunk of change on the rental...although I'm really not worried. people always come out of the wood work when they know you have a house out there. its just too convenient.

Edmontonian
01-15-2009, 03:45 PM
I heard a rumour that the headliners will be Modest Mouse, Devo and Ace Frehley Solo playing "Destroyer" in it's entirity

Todfilm
01-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I was somewhat disappointed last year on the announcement of the lineup. But I got tickets anyway because I had faith in Goldenvoice. And in the end, I did not regret it one bit. As time went on and I explored some of the bands that were going to be there, and with the adds, the more excited I was to go. Besides, if you only go for the headliners, you are missing out on all the other great bands that are going to be there.

Sleepingrock
01-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Quicksand no matter what you have said in the past, possibly about choking cock..... this is the best you have ever said =D

jlk2490
01-15-2009, 05:17 PM
It really isn't about the big names anyway. Coachella always gets names that are small when the lineup is released and they become huge within a few months. Just have some faith in GV, they know what they're doing.

moomoo
01-15-2009, 05:23 PM
ITS GONNA CHANGE YOUR LIFE EITHER WAY, FUCKING JUST GO PLZ

Sleepingrock
01-15-2009, 07:20 PM
:) I am forsure going =D

2nd thing... My dad whos 51 is coming with us to Coachella... any tips for him?

MeowMixer
01-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I was somewhat disappointed last year on the announcement of the lineup. But I got tickets anyway because I had faith in Goldenvoice. And in the end, I did not regret it one bit. As time went on and I explored some of the bands that were going to be there, and with the adds, the more excited I was to go. Besides, if you only go for the headliners, you are missing out on all the other great bands that are going to be there.

Example: Gnarls Barkley was in one of the tents.

stinkbutt
01-15-2009, 07:27 PM

their 2nd gig in the Gobi that was one of my favorite sets of 06 and before anyone knew who they were

stinkbutt
01-15-2009, 07:29 PM
My dad whos 51 is coming with us to Coachella... any tips for him?

Sean Penn Acid Test

CalmerThanYou
01-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Quicksand can solve a rubics cube in 6 seconds while translating ancient sanskrit.

quicksand
01-15-2009, 08:06 PM

Does he smoke weed?

stinkbutt
01-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Box Quicksand's dad?

Spongehead56
01-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Please lord, let Quicksand be right about the headliners.

quicksand
01-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Bro, listen. I am. Who was the first one to post last years headliners here? Yeah, hello! right here!

obzen
01-15-2009, 08:36 PM
quicksand....

SHUT
THE
FUCK
UP!!!

:rotfl

ArcadeParade
01-15-2009, 08:40 PM
I'll say this much if those were the headliners, I'd have no problem getting friends to confirm they are staying in my house that weekend and I wouldnt worry about eating a chunk of change on the rental...although I'm really not worried. people always come out of the wood work when they know you have a house out there. its just too convenient.

I dunno if I've said this in another thread or not...but this is SO my life story right now!

Sleepingrock
01-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Does he smoke weed?

he used too be a stoner.... not so much anymore... lol why :O

quicksand
01-15-2009, 08:53 PM
It would be cool to get him to smoke maybe. Or even smoke with him if you do. My friend got busted for smoking by his parents and got in trouble, and like a week later he went to Radiohead with his dad and they both hit a blunt passing through. Sounded like a cool time. If my dad smoked or used to I'd probably try to get him to do it with me, but he never has and never will.

stinkbutt
01-15-2009, 08:56 PM
he used too be a stoner.... not so much anymore... lol why :O

Box Quicksand's dad?

Sleepingrock
01-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Haha, how old is he? Cuz he probly has... !

obzen
01-15-2009, 09:00 PM
i cant get over Quicksands avatar,comedy!

quicksand
01-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Haha, how old is he? Cuz he probly has... !

my friend is 17 his dad is about 50

Sleepingrock
01-15-2009, 09:05 PM
No how old is your Dad?

CalmerThanYou
01-15-2009, 09:08 PM
DOES YOUR DAD HAVE GUNS IN A SAFE THAT YOU MIGHT KNOW THE CODE TO?!?!??!

obzen
01-15-2009, 09:30 PM
DOES YOUR DAD HAVE GUNS IN A SAFE THAT YOU MIGHT KNOW THE CODE TO?!?!??!

:rotfl

Sonicifyouwantit
01-16-2009, 12:40 AM
ITS GONNA CHANGE YOUR LIFE EITHER WAY, FUCKING JUST GO PLZ

WORD

yeah, stay at home...or go to stagecoach

yeah but they were already popular by that time...a band like mgmt got big after.

stinkbutt
01-16-2009, 03:30 AM
yeah but they were already popular by that time...a band like mgmt got big after.

not really they played in the gobi and it wasnt that packed Crazy hadnt been released as a single yet

ADrunkPoet
01-16-2009, 04:25 AM
What is amazing to me, is that people bitch for weeks on end about the lineup before it comes out...

People bitch for weeks after it comes out...

And very few, come back and bitch after going to the festival...

SFChrissy
01-16-2009, 07:20 AM

2nd thing... My dad whos 51 is coming with us to Coachella... any tips for him?Hopefully he likes music other than that tell him to enjoy the amusement park for big kids...

DOES YOUR DAD HAVE GUNS IN A SAFE THAT YOU MIGHT KNOW THE CODE TO?!?!??!hahahaaaa!!!

ZackQ
01-16-2009, 08:04 AM
What is amazing to me, is that people bitch for weeks on end about the lineup before it comes out...

People bitch for weeks after it comes out...

And very few, come back and bitch after going to the festival...

Yup, this board is a total bitch fest. I think I come back once right after the festival. I always look to see which sets that I missed were amazing, and which sets that I missed were awful.

Then it's away from the board until New Year's.

Xenocide
01-16-2009, 08:42 AM
after last year, i'll bet GV puts the weak headliner (likely Killers at this point) on Saturday, & not Friday...

the reason being, if people are going fri & sun, they'll go on Sat. but if only sat & sun have good lineups fewer people will bother showing up for Fri.

FakePlasticMe
01-16-2009, 08:51 AM
thing is, even thought there were some late adds it still had a great lineup before those bigger adds...most people didnt know the undercards at first and then people got to know the music and suddenly the festival was acceptable. People dont like taking chances if they dont know who the bands are. most didnt know mgmt or a few others and look how big theyve become now.

MGMT can suck my balls, but I see what you're saying. The thing is, I live in Chicago, so if Coachella has a crappy lineup in terms of bigger names and the small bands are great, chances are those bands will tour here anyway so I wouldn't fly across the country to see partial sets in boiling hot tents. However, that way of thinking is over, and I have vowed to never doubt Coachella again.

lolwut
01-16-2009, 08:54 AM
It would be cool to get him to smoke maybe. Or even smoke with him if you do. My friend got busted for smoking by his parents and got in trouble, and like a week later he went to Radiohead with his dad and they both hit a blunt passing through. Sounded like a cool time. If my dad smoked or used to I'd probably try to get him to do it with me, but he never has and never will.

You are too young to internet (or a very talented troll.)

GTFO my internet.

ZackQ
01-16-2009, 08:56 AM
MGMT can suck my balls, but I see what you're saying. The thing is, I live in Chicago, so if Coachella has a crappy lineup in terms of bigger names and the small bands are great, chances are those bands will tour here anyway so I wouldn't fly across the country to see partial sets in boiling hot tents. However, that way of thinking is over, and I have vowed to never doubt Coachella again.

Amen my brotha from my hometown aka the greatest city in the world.

FakePlasticMe
01-16-2009, 09:03 AM
Amen my brotha from my hometown aka the greatest city in the world.

I'm a sista...the balls comment probably threw you off there. Chicago rules, except right now because it's actually -15 outside.

Todfilm
01-16-2009, 09:48 AM

I took my 60 year old aunt with me on the Friday of 2007. She had a great time. Just bring a hat, earplugs, comfortable jeans and drink plenty of water. You can either lay out for him which bands he should check out or let him go online and figure out what he wants to see. He can either stick with you guys or go out on his own for a bit. Just tell him to meet you at the KROQ tent at the end of the night.

And if he wants to spend a little extra for himself, he can get an Amex VIP ticket and go lounge on the couches in the VIP section. The festival is pretty appropriate for people of all ages. Although he might be less likely to be raving to Chemical Brothers with you in the Sahara.

And for the record she liked Amy Winehouse and Interpol. And I even got her to dig a little Jarvis Cocker.

SFChrissy
01-16-2009, 10:15 AM
I took my 60 year old aunt with me on the Friday of 2007. She had a great time. Just bring a hat, earplugs, comfortable jeans and drink plenty of water. You can either lay out for him which bands he should check out or let him go online and figure out what he wants to see. He can either stick with you guys or go out on his own for a bit. Just tell him to meet you at the KROQ tent at the end of the night.

And if he wants to spend a little extra for himself, he can get an Amex VIP ticket and go lounge on the couches in the VIP section. The festival is pretty appropriate for people of all ages. Although he might be less likely to be raving to Chemical Brothers with you in the Sahara.

And for the record she liked Amy Winehouse and Interpol. And I even got her to dig a little Jarvis Cocker.Ahhh...I wanna be that auntie at sixty!!!

FakePlasticMe
01-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Me too...that's awesome.

On a similar note, what age is one old enough to experience Coachella? I've been molding the impressionable mind of my 15-year-old cousin over time (made him a music package with all of the essential albums I wish I heard about at his age, took him to his first show...in a club, Man Man, and his first local festival..Lolla) and I'd LOVE to take him to Coachella one day. However, I know you have to be 18 to camp and I wouldn't want to babysit him the entire time.

BROKENDOLL
01-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Hopefully he likes music other than that tell him to enjoy the amusement park for big kids...
hahahaaaa!!! I thought Coachella was an amusement park for big kids... makes me feel like I've been let loose to runamuck like a kid in ToysRUs!

Ahhh...I wanna be that auntie at sixty!!! I will be that auntie at 60, no doubt! :dumbo

obzen
01-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Me too...that's awesome.

On a similar note, what age is one old enough to experience Coachella? I've been molding the impressionable mind of my 15-year-old cousin over time (made him a music package with all of the essential albums I wish I heard about at his age, took him to his first show...in a club, Man Man, and his first local festival..Lolla) and I'd LOVE to take him to Coachella one day. However, I know you have to be 18 to camp and I wouldn't want to babysit him the entire time.

take him now
for him,at this age itll be a sonic-landscape,like disneyland.
heres the thing about hotels though,despite how close they are to the polo fields it takes a minute (+1hr,i sat in a car +2hrs waiting just to getting IN the parking area in 07-getting out is WORSE) to actually drive up into the parking lots cause all the traffic inbound will bottleneck as you head down Monroe Ave.-if you decide to go the hotel route go by taxi and have them drop you off at the last cross street before the venue(just north of the polo fields)-itll be blocked off at Monroe Ave-from there-just get off and walk_its right there...
leaving the venue-taxis are all over the spot that youll be dropped off at...
thats probably the best ticket if you dont want your cuz to wait til hes 18
though camping is a whole other experience...
...:thu

Sonicifyouwantit
01-16-2009, 11:33 AM
not really they played in the gobi and it wasnt that packed Crazy hadnt been released as a single yet

wasnt that packed? maybe you were in one of those pockets inside where there was room, but outside the crowd stretched far back from the tent and they were playing crazy on the radio...everyone knew it and cheered for it.

Sonicifyouwantit
01-16-2009, 11:36 AM
take him now
for him,at this age itll be a sonic-landscape,like disneyland.
heres the thing about hotels though,despite how close they are to the polo fields it takes a minute (+1hr,i sat in a car +2hrs waiting just to getting IN the parking area in 07-getting out is WORSE) to actually drive up into the parking lots cause all the traffic inbound will bottleneck as you head down Monroe Ave.-if you decide to go the hotel route go by taxi and have them drop you off at the last cross street before the venue(just north of the polo fields)-itll be blocked off at Monroe Ave-from there-just get off and walk_its right there...
leaving the venue-taxis are all over the spot that youll be dropped off at...
thats probably the best ticket if you dont want your cuz to wait til hes 18
though camping is a whole other experience...
...:thu

last year it took me about 30 minutes to get parked, and getting out each night I took an hour nap in the car. It was erie because I'd wake up and the lot was empty. but it was easy to exit, hehe

obzen
01-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Box Quicksand's dad?

:lool

obzen
01-16-2009, 12:01 PM
last year it took me about 30 minutes to get parked, and getting out each night I took an hour nap in the car. It was erie because I'd wake up and the lot was empty. but it was easy to exit, hehe

i camped last year and this year the same,so no worries for me either way
-and i was refering to 07-however considering the apparent mediocrity of the prospective headliners(budgetchella),the parking wont be so problematic.

on another note i think the article in RS supposedly stating AEG/GV were gonna lay low on the big headliners is ringing the false alarms-i wonder if its all being blown out of proportion
-maybe im in denial about the line-up

-but,how much exactly did Prince/Roger Waters get paid?
(ive heard Prince was paid $4mil,$8mil,$20mil????)

there really isnt anyone else out there who would get paid more than Prince-besides he was a last minute add-on so you know they paid extra.

braundiggity
01-16-2009, 12:09 PM

I've totally done this. It's absolutely the way to go.

On this whole "Budgetchella" idea, I think it's bullshit. They thought they had a great lineup last year, they released it, and everyone got pissed. They won't let that happen this year. It's called "managing expectations."

Just like they should come out now and say "NO. There won't be big additions late to the lineup." I keep reading "The Killers will be the initial headliner, then they'll add someone late who blows them out of the water." That is absolutely, absolutely not happening. Last year with Prince was a truly one-time deal. There will be late additions, but I doubt there will ever again be a late headliner addition.

braundiggity
01-16-2009, 12:10 PM
The bottom line is, they spent a ton last year, but it was still one of the most profitable festivals in the country. Simply by not having Prince this year, it'll be cheaper, and almost certainly sell as well (last year didn't sell out all three days for the first time in a few years).

obzen
01-16-2009, 12:15 PM
it easily takes more than 30 minutes to get in if you show up after 230pm.

the bottom line v v v v
__________________________________________________ _____

obzen
01-16-2009, 12:20 PM
On this whole "Budgetchella" idea, I think it's bullshit. They thought they had a great lineup last year, they released it, and everyone got pissed. They won't let that happen this year. It's called "managing expectations."

agreed.

Sonicifyouwantit
01-16-2009, 01:23 PM
it easily takes more than 30 minutes to get in if you show up after 230pm.

the bottom line v v v v
__________________________________________________ _____

maybe for you, last year all three days going down what ever presidential street it was there was a long line of cars in the left of two lanes...I cruised on by in the right lane and saw that both lanes turned into the fest...cut off 20 minutes just doing that.

I've totally done this. It's absolutely the way to go.

Just like they should come out now and say "NO. There won't be big additions late to the lineup." I keep reading "The Killers will be the initial headliner, then they'll add someone late who blows them out of the water." That is absolutely, absolutely not happening. Last year with Prince was a truly one-time deal. There will be late additions, but I doubt there will ever again be a late headliner addition.

yeah people bitched no doubt, but they do that every year...and in the end everyone seemed happy even with the undercard acts that they originally hated on for no reason other than that they had never heard of them. I think a mix is always in order for coach...good well knowns and unknowns alike

FakePlasticMe
01-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the info, but I've been before. I was there in 04, 05 and 07. I'm a camping girl myself, too much of a headache trying to drive in and out each day. He might have to wait until he's 18...depends how I feel ha.

obzen
01-16-2009, 10:18 PM
maybe for you, last year all three days going down what ever presidential street it was there was a long line of cars in the left of two lanes...I cruised on by in the right lane and saw that both lanes turned into the fest...cut off 20 minutes just doing that.

like i said,i camped last year,NO WORRIES...:winkiss