PDA

View Full Version : Salton Sea??? anyone camping there???

wisconsinboozer
02-09-2007, 09:05 AM
Yea im pretty much stuck staying there against my will due to my friend getting it without our knowledge. hoping theres gonna be some people there that arent just gonna sleep right when they get back, they allow you to bring in all the beer/liquor you want unlike coachella and they have fire pits designated to bbq's so it sounds decent, if anyone hasnt found a camp site yet go there and we'll booze it up together.

wisconsinboozer
02-09-2007, 12:16 PM
wow this camp site really doesnt seem like the place to be...

psychic friend
02-09-2007, 12:19 PM
salton sea Chargers Camping/Lodging 11 01-30-2007 08:27 PM
Bogart/Salton Sea/Idyllwild Park Danica Camping/Lodging 0 01-30-2007 06:11 PM

wisconsinboozer
02-09-2007, 12:47 PM
salton sea Chargers Camping/Lodging 11 01-30-2007 08:27 PM
Bogart/Salton Sea/Idyllwild Park Danica Camping/Lodging 0 01-30-2007 06:11 PM

hey phychic friend, does that mean youre camping there under the name there? quick questions; have you ever been camping there before and do you know if a lot of people camp there. thanks ;)
just hoping theres lots of people to mingle with

elChurro
02-09-2007, 01:45 PM
you can party at salton sea longer, harder and louder than any of the other camp sites.

psychic friend
02-09-2007, 01:50 PM
i was showing you the other existing salton sea threads so you could read them

Cocabean
02-09-2007, 02:23 PM
About 2 weeks ago, the History channel aired a special on the Salton Sea as an American Blunder :(and that wasnt the only program aired about it. We camped there in 06 and all I can remeber is getting shit faced drunk and walking to the water at night with some friends, and that shit was glowing in the dark. During the day it has a redish tent. The sad thing is during the 60's and 70's it was used as irigation run off and the salt content is so high that it should be unswimmable. Please dont take the Park Rangers advice.

Besides the water the camp grounds are cool, clean, and decent showers. If your looking to have a good time, this is the place. For my friends and I, it's tradition to rally at the Salton Sea before the festival. Come over and say hi and get high:dumbo . Ill be the one cooking. We're the one's with 20 people at our site and not one sober person present.

eli
"rock out with your cock out"
-ron jeremy

wisconsinboozer
02-09-2007, 02:34 PM
About 2 weeks ago, the History channel aired a special on the Salton Sea as an American Blunder :(and that wasnt the only program aired about it. We camped there in 06 and all I can remeber is getting shit faced drunk and walking to the water at night with some friends, and that shit was glowing in the dark. During the day it has a redish tent. The sad thing is during the 60's and 70's it was used as irigation run off and the salt content is so high that it should be unswimmable. Please dont take the Park Rangers advice.

Besides the water the camp grounds are cool, clean, and decent showers. If your looking to have a good time, this is the place. For my friends and I, it's tradition to rally at the Salton Sea before the festival. Come over and say hi and get high:dumbo . Ill be the one cooking. We're the one's with 20 people at our site and not one sober person present.

eli
"rock out with your cock out"
-ron jeremy

cool man, isnt there acyually a few diff spots in the salton sea to go, buddy said there was 5 sites with a bunch spots at each one, yea thatd be cool to meet up, its me a dude and 3-4 chicks. is there anything we should bring besides beer and food? i wish it was possible to swim there or id get myself a tube to lay out in the water with

jam out with your clam out
-me

DSN1138
02-10-2007, 01:53 PM
there are about 4 campsites on salton sea with attendants that take your money and you get a spot but in 2004 they filled of really fast.. so we had to go to the "rural" campsite where we put are money in a little box and we got the whole beach there was no one there but i agree.. the water she not be touched its fucking creepy too

Cocabean
02-11-2007, 06:17 PM
mecca state beach park campgrounds fills up with nothing but coachellasapiens and alcoholics from all over the world. last year i met people from all over the world. follow your noes and you will find me :)

wisconsinboozer
02-11-2007, 06:24 PM
mecca state beach park campgrounds fills up with nothing but coachellasapiens and alcoholics from all over the world. last year i met people from all over the world. follow your noes and you will find me :)

yea i seen you saying you were gonna be there thursday, i wont get there til friday sometime but im sure ill bump into ya when i do my drunk walks of the campground, whats cookin on the grill? do they have grills there cause we wanted to buy a bunch of food but were not sure where we'd cook it... car doesnt have enough room for a little grill

Cocabean
02-11-2007, 06:30 PM
they do have grills near the beach from what i remeber. on the grill will be:poo , na prolly something simple like taco's and breakfast. im going with a large group, we're all spliting up the meals and we're thinking of adding a keg to the group. something rich and premium

wisconsinboozer
02-11-2007, 06:38 PM
yea i think were gonna do the keg thing too although theres only 5 of us i think we could polish off a 16 gallon in 2-3 days, were not even gonna go to the concert til mid afternoon but that might change after we see the setlist times, im thinkin chicken burgers and ka-bobs all the way, cant forget potatoes and corn on the cob too

Cocabean
02-11-2007, 06:44 PM
will be sporting a big 15seater van with 1or 2 trucks. the van should be all tagged up by the time were done with it and we shouldnt be hard to find. last year we were up till 4am drinking till we fell over. yep, this is gonna be a good year.

DuctTapedGerbil
02-15-2007, 03:22 PM
did you guys hear about the thousands of rotting tilapia washing up on the shore, sending a rotten stank through the coachella valley? People in Palm Springs are complaining of it. The fish all died with the recent cold snap...

worldinmyeyes
02-15-2007, 07:57 PM
this will be my 4th year going and 3rd year at the salton sea. I look forward to parting with you guys. We're from Austin and we pick up a buddy in El Paso on our way. I hope they didn't change the rules and start taking reservations.

M00nshine
03-30-2008, 09:57 PM
those dead fish are part of a yearly tradition for me, we count the dead ones early in the morning before heading to the concert, poor fishies

sk8r408
04-01-2008, 12:01 AM
I had a good time when I stayed at the Salton Sea. It is out in nowhere, which is the good part and the bad part.

RedEye
04-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Any one with reservations at Salton Sea has any camping space to spare? Me and my brother need to camp for one night, Friday night. I could make reservations myself but would not be able to check in on time. We arrive to Coachella on Friday and don't want to miss any part of the show...
We'll bring our camping tent. We'll pay for the space if needed.

sk8r408
04-04-2008, 09:09 AM
When I stayed there, we got there late Friday. There was no one working, we never paid, and never even saw anyone to pay. There were open sites too

Stork
04-06-2008, 12:58 AM
I stayed there last year. There were dead fish along the shore and whenever the nearby train would pass by our direction it would carry the stench from the water. Otherwise it was pretty cool. You can party until whenever you like the whole weekend.

Butthead'sCousin
04-06-2008, 10:39 AM
this will be my 3rd year camping out at the salton sea (4th year at coachella). it's a great place to camp and everyone there is chill and friendly and you can smoke and drink openly. the showers are decent - just get there early to avoid waiting in line. ill be looking forward to meeting some new people at the camp site this year !

dnbmunke
04-06-2008, 10:49 AM
did you guys hear about the thousands of rotting tilapia washing up on the shore, sending a rotten stank through the coachella valley? People in Palm Springs are complaining of it. The fish all died with the recent cold snap...

yeah I was going to say the last time I went there which was years ago there was nothing but fucking dead rotting fish everywhere.

It was disgusting as fuck and the smell was horrendus.

I remember there was thousands of flies. When me and my bud got into the car a swarm of flies followed and we ended up sitting on like 5 flies each. I hope no one stays in this shit hole this year

aphrael
04-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Why the unhappy face at the description of the Salton Sea as an American blunder? It totally is ... back when California became a state, it was an empty lake bed; an error in the maintenance of the Colorado river resulted in it becoming a sea.

It's below sea level, too, which is part of why it's so polluted; all of the fertilizer and pesticides used in the surrounding farmland run down to it.

internethandle
04-20-2008, 11:13 PM
looks like we'll be staying there thursday night and friday night this year, but thankfully we found a place in palm springs for saturday night and sunday night. the worst part about camping anywhere near coachella, whether it be lake cahuilla, here, or, i would assume, the campsites on the polo fields, is the heat. with the salton sea, we've stayed there for the past four years, and each time we don't end up getting out of the parking lot and getting to the campground on mecca beach until at least 2 AM. we're exhausted, but the heat wakes us up, every time, by 7:30 or 8, so we don't get nearly enough shut-eye. i guess it's just part of the experience at this point, but with the 3 day coachellas nowadays, i don't think i could camp more than one night. it is always fun to have some beers and chat with people, though, and go to the water while intoxicated just to "trip" out on it glowing.

advice i'd give for those staying at mecca beach:
- it does smell, yes, but i really don't think it's that bad. there's enough campsites that you don't have to be right near the water, anyway.
- you can try and risk not paying, but a park ranger does come by every morning in a truck, and i would assume they would bust you or make you pay if you don't have your site registered and paid for in the drop-box near the kiosk. i don't think i've ever seen them busting people drinking or smoking in the morning, but you'd be wise to be more discreet in the morning about that sort of thing, when they're doing their rounds at least. at night it's totally fine.
- the showers are great after a long day sweating/coated in sun tan lotion, but they are not heated at all, so i guess be psychologically prepared for a cold shower. it really isn't that big of a deal with the heat of the desert, though, to say the least.
- they do have grill plates on top of the fire pits in each site, but they are... grimy, i guess is one way of putting it. might want to bring a grill cleaning brush or something similar. also, you will need firewood to start a fire in your pit, obviously.
- there are water fountains near the showers that work pretty well.
- there's a del taco in mecca, the very small town about 15 or 20 miles away from the campground and the last sign of civilization you see before you get to mecca beach. we always hit that up before we crash at our site, since they're open 24 hours.
- there's a date farm if you keep following the highway. they have pretty good date shakes, if you're into that sort of thing, and some nice bathrooms/air conditioning.

sk8r408
12-15-2008, 03:10 PM
I saw this interesting mini-documentary on the Salton Sea. Check it out...

http://current.com/items/89623161/salton_sea_hey_days.htm

Pollywog
01-14-2009, 08:18 AM
WoW...thats pretty sad...I would have never thought that it was so beautifull.

DJdharma
01-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Have you seen the movie "Salton Sea" with Val Kilmer?
Rent it. Experience it. And then try to enjoy your time at the Salton Sea.:eek:

paula
01-27-2009, 06:25 PM
To far for me. I stay at Shadow Hills RV Resort along with another 300 campers. Pool is open all night long!

sk8r408
01-27-2009, 07:01 PM
To far for me. I stay at Shadow Hills RV Resort along with another 300 campers. Pool is open all night long!

Ha ha, shameless plug for your own resort.

Lake Cahuilla is better!

dmunk
04-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Stupid question...I haven't camped at Coachella since the very first one, and my memory of that is a little hazy. Is it reasonably safe to leave your campsite set up during the day while at the concert? Or do people generally take stuff down and lock it up, then come back and try to reclaim their spot at night? Or is there some other way to save your spot during the day that doesn't involve leaving your tent (or whatever) set up all day? My understanding is that the Salton Sea campsites are pretty much all first-come, first-served, so I'm just trying to make sure I don't end up getting my camping gear stolen or getting my camp spot ganked while I'm at the concert.

sk8r408
04-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Stupid question...I haven't camped at Coachella since the very first one, and my memory of that is a little hazy. Is it reasonably safe to leave your campsite set up during the day while at the concert? Or do people generally take stuff down and lock it up, then come back and try to reclaim their spot at night? Or is there some other way to save your spot during the day that doesn't involve leaving your tent (or whatever) set up all day? My understanding is that the Salton Sea campsites are pretty much all first-come, first-served, so I'm just trying to make sure I don't end up getting my camping gear stolen or getting my camp spot ganked while I'm at the concert.

Stupid answer... Use common sense. Don't leave any valuables unattended.