PDA

View Full Version : Black Lips play Costa Mesa on 4/15....

hannibul
12-29-2008, 09:54 PM
You know what that prolly means

http://www.detroitbar.com/

for those of you that were at JJ last year, you missed a great set.

Alchemy
12-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Hmmmm...

nationocean
12-29-2008, 10:24 PM
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

moomoo
12-29-2008, 10:29 PM
for those of you that were at JJ last year

??????????

pancakespancakes
12-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Yikessssss

Maybe they're just going as fans?
Who knows.

They did play Detour again this year...

hannibul
12-29-2008, 10:59 PM
i dont think they can afford to go to coachella as fans

pancakespancakes
12-29-2008, 11:22 PM
i dont think they can afford to go to coachella as fans

HAHA

Bradford will be getting them in for free this year anyway. ;)

felakuti78
12-30-2008, 12:37 AM
san diego on 4/16

http://www.casbahmusic.com/schedule.php?page=1&month=4&year=2009

slurpee
12-30-2008, 08:14 AM
JJ = the JJ double ranch where Rothbury was held?

pancakespancakes
12-30-2008, 09:25 AM
san diego on 4/16

I don't think that means much. But thanks for posting anyway. I do find the lack of a true LA date striking here... but who knows.

I'm not even sure I would see them again this year anyway, so this isn't overly-wishful thinking. But I do think that they are in the cards to repeat right now. Strangest repeat ever, I know.

pancakespancakes
12-30-2008, 09:26 AM
JJ = the JJ double ranch where Rothbury was held?

HAHAHA... too many drugs for you... think a little haaaaarder. :D

Xenocide
12-30-2008, 09:55 AM
ugh... why not bring back one of the many bands that people actually enjoyed...

Coachella Bound
01-02-2009, 08:55 AM
ahhhhh, good ol Detroit Bar!

Daft Fro
01-02-2009, 09:15 AM
I'd rather have the Black Keys back...

PierogiHead
01-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Their set last year was good but kind of annoying if you wanted to be up close. A bunch of little kids/little kid-minded Coachellagoers were doing one of those pushpits that looks like a circle of people collectively having seizures, so I had to stand in back. Then Black Lips started their guitars on fire.

woogie846
01-02-2009, 11:24 AM
I was at Fatboy Slim.

pancakespancakes
01-02-2009, 11:34 AM
A bunch of little kids/little kid-minded Coachellagoers were doing one of those pushpits that looks like a circle of people collectively having seizures, so I had to stand in back.

Oh hey, it's me!!

Actually, I was 17 at the time, I suppose I was still a kid by definition... plus I'm what, 5'8"? I'm a kid.

pancakespancakes
01-02-2009, 11:34 AM
ugh... why not bring back one of the many bands that people actually enjoyed...

:blah

coughcoughing
01-02-2009, 12:04 PM
how bout The Black Ghosts instead?

shakermaker113
01-02-2009, 01:09 PM
let's have a stage with nothing but 'black' bands.

black ghosts
black lips
black angels
black keys
black rebel motorcycle club

alright that was really lame.

pancakespancakes
01-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Black Lips
Black Mountain
Black Kids
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Black Keys
Black Angels
Black Crowes
Black Ghosts
Black Dice

and of course:
Black Flag
Black Sabbath

...who else??

Daft Fro
01-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Blackstar
Blackstreet
Blackfoot
Black Uhuru
Black Grape

Courtney
01-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Black Francis

ivankay
01-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Do Young Black Teenagers count?

Coachella Bound
01-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Black Eyed Peas
Black-alicious

pancakespancakes
01-02-2009, 02:32 PM

Well if they do I think we'd have to throw Big Black in there too...

enriquevs
01-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Godspeed You Black Emperor

shakermaker113
01-02-2009, 05:33 PM

no.

Well if they do I think we'd have to throw Big Black in there too...

no.

Godspeed You Black Emperor

no.

but black moth super rainbow can play.

ivankay
01-02-2009, 06:36 PM
ok, Black Box and Black Oak Arkansas then.

Could Prince doing the Black album be a exception?

shakermaker113
01-02-2009, 07:53 PM
ok, Black Box and Black Oak Arkansas then.

one of them can open the stage. this place is getting crowded though, no room for both of them.

Could Prince doing the Black album be a exception?

no. but if he changes he name to the color black he can be a part of the gang.

Xenocide
01-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Their set last year was good but kind of annoying if you wanted to be up close. A bunch of little kids/little kid-minded Coachellagoers were doing one of those pushpits that looks like a circle of people collectively having seizures, so I had to stand in back. Then Black Lips started their guitars on fire.

i thought it was real easy to get close, since there were never more than 20 or 30 people in that tent the whole set... that weak-ass mosh you mentioned lasted a whole song, maybe. You had to stand in back? i must have seen you then, what with there only being about ten of us back there...

weak sauce. period.

hannibul
01-03-2009, 12:24 PM
there were over 500 people in that tent for the black lips set last year. I saw the fire code report.

Xenocide
01-03-2009, 12:31 PM
that is 100% BULLSHIT!!! for a fact...

i guarantee you when Fatboy Slim was spinning there were less than 100 people in the tent... and less and less and less as the set went on... there may have been a bunch of people there before/as they were going on (and why not, for over 20 minutes they were the ONLY act playing besides JJ)...

i don't give a fuck if you saw a fire code report, i saw the set... and for the last half of it there were less than 50 people in that tent, and most of us were sitting down on the grass except for a dozen or two at the front of the stage...

the only act i saw the whole weekend with less people at any stage than Black Lips was the next night when Enter Shikari played the same tent in the same slot... and they only had a couple fewer people. I can't even think of any Stagecoach acts that had fewer people at any of their stages than Black Lips did... except maybe Ralph Stanley who played that same tent while Carrie Underwood was playing the Mane Stage. Hell, i'll bet $1.50 that Jupiter's Ring had more people watching their set at 1pm than Black Lips did at 11pm... which is really sad, since I was really, really looking forward to Black Lips and skipped most of Fatboy to see them... really the most disappointing set of the weekend, behind Scars on Broadway perhaps... the fact that Black Lips didn't play "Veni Vidi Vici" didn't help as it's their best song.

shakermaker113
01-03-2009, 04:41 PM
that is 100% BULLSHIT!!! for a fact...

i guarantee you when Fatboy Slim was spinning there were less than 100 people in the tent... and less and less and less as the set went on... there may have been a bunch of people there before/as they were going on (and why not, for over 20 minutes they were the ONLY act playing besides JJ)...

I'd be surprised if they wanted to come back after that.

ivankay
01-03-2009, 05:09 PM
This is before the end of their set:

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/IMG_1485_Black_Lips--large-msg-121252980646.jpg

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/IMG_1494_Black_Lips--large-msg-121252981463.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1151/3164530333_6d0f516d9f.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1102/3164532151_27e67810a7_o.jpg

There were definitely more than 100 people there. More than 500.

hannibul
01-03-2009, 10:05 PM
looks like more than 500 people to me.

Do you think xenocide will man up and admit that he (or she) was wrong? Thats gotta hurt after that lengthy posting. That took some time to write I bet. I love how he got so upset about me having seen the fire code report without even asking to see how I managed to get my hands on it. Well I didn't see a fire code report, i lied, and I'm sorry. It was a knee jerk response to the comment of only 20 people being there. I was there and it was not true. The pics dont lie. I dont even know if a fire code report is a real thing, i just made it up on the spot.

Funny how people can see the same set and have completely different opinions. I thought the Black Lips set was the best set of last year for me.

Xenocide
01-04-2009, 05:47 AM
looks like more than 500 people to me.

Do you think xenocide will man up and admit that he (or she) was wrong? Thats gotta hurt after that lengthy posting. That took some time to write I bet. I love how he got so upset about me having seen the fire code report without even asking to see how I managed to get my hands on it. Well I didn't see a fire code report, i lied, and I'm sorry. It was a knee jerk response to the comment of only 20 people being there. I was there and it was not true. The pics dont lie. I dont even know if a fire code report is a real thing, i just made it up on the spot.

Funny how people can see the same set and have completely different opinions. I thought the Black Lips set was the best set of last year for me.

okay, before i man up...

#1- were these taken after JJ was done playing (ie the last song or so of Black Lips set?), after the tent got flooded with people coming from Main?

#2- were these taken at the beginning of their set when they were the only act playing the polo grounds for twenty minutes whose name isn't Jack Johnson? (Fatboy went on like 30 min. late too, but the second he started playing the Mojave emptied like a motherfucker...)

#3- were those last two pics taken during somebody other than Black Lips?

if the answer to all three is no, then okay, i was wrong, but i don't see how i could have been laying down in the middle of that, able to look over and see two girls sitting by themselves on the other side of the tent from me... i'm pretty sure i wasn't that fucked up.

ivankay
01-04-2009, 12:17 PM
The pictures from the left of the stage were taken at the very end of the set. The empty stage shot is just as Black Lips walked off.

pancakespancakes
01-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Hahaha I see me in that last one. My friend Cody is the one in the white shirt/black hair in the middle holding his left hand up with a ridiculous facial expression... I'm the face on his left... ANYWAY yes, Xenocide, you are very very wrong. But I forgive you.

I did like how easy it was to get up to the front row though. I missed their first song but thanks to the little pit... I just walked right up to the front. Convenience.

fiopadp7791
01-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Since Dwight Yoakum played both Coachella and Stagecoach last year, what about Clint Black for that whole "Black Stage" theme? YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! !!!!!!!!

I'll shut up now... sorry...

Xenocide
01-05-2009, 12:14 AM
The pictures from the left of the stage were taken at the very end of the set. The empty stage shot is just as Black Lips walked off.

then i maintain that the crowd seen in the pics is the Main Stage crowd that drifted over after JJ finished...

& that for the majority of their set, particuarly after Fatboy Slim started until Jack Johnson finished, the Mojave tent was mostly empty...

...maybe i WAS really that high...hmm

hannibul
01-07-2009, 11:36 AM
at any rate..., Scoopers posts have made no mention of The Black Lips playing coachella, yet they are in and around the area on the same dates as coachella 09'.

My deduction, scoopers lists, while fun, are inaccurate. Obviously he has stated several times that his lists mean nothing and the line up will not be known until it is released. There are some bands on scoopers list that will be there, of course. having 9 years of coachella line ups, one can tell the trend of the fest vs. the current crop of bands, anyone can name an obvious appearance.

like my prediction: TV on the Radio. (and I know no one on the inside)

My point to this is, is that I believe Scooper is a PLANT. he is throwing us off the scent. I think there is going to be a surprise this year that is going to come from left field and the only way that can happen is if we are all looking the other way.

Take for instance scooper questioned by the moderator of his inside sources. Of all the people who post saying they have someone on the inside, why does psychic friend question only him?

Neil Young and Radiohead as separate headliners on different days. If you dont know, Radiohead cover Neil Young quite often in live shows. Neil Young has made several appearances with "it" artists over the years. A radiohead/Neil Young show is long over due. Scooper is listing them as headliners on different days. that does not sit well with me. For the record, while not a HUGE Radiohead fan, they are more than an IT band.

as posters, we need to look outside the box for the line up. Actually we need to shut up and be patient for the real line up. Scooper's posts are fun to read, but we cant let him hide behind the "this list just for fun" excuse any longer. He is a plant and he needs to be exposed.

JFK was killed by Lee Harvey Oswald
9/11 was not staged by the US government
It was NOT over when the germans bombed Pearl Harbor!

As Zack De La Rocha says.........WAKE UP!

If I am wrong I will declare Xenocide correct in his comment of there only being 20 people in the black lips tent in 08'.

PS- Im listening to SOUNDTRACK OF OUR LIVES new album "Communion". Its pretty dope. Avail on emusic.