PDA

View Full Version : Amsterdam

faxman75
12-08-2008, 11:12 AM
I went to Amsterdam this summer and it was quite nice. I must say I love how relaxed the laws are and how the legislature or whatever they have over there leaves so much wiggle room. For instance, mushrooms were banned last fall BUT they were still avialable for purchase in July because shop owners were told they can sell their remaining stock. The fun part is, there is no one checking how much they have and regulating when they get more supply so it just keeps going.

Now the big news over the last week is that the government is stepping up it's program to make the city center and redlight a bit more accomidating to travelers, historians, and those who want to live and reside in the city center rather than have it remain a smut and drug capital. They don't want to outlaw it completely so they are simply reducing the number of marijauna shops and brothels.

The best part about this new plan is that they don't expect it to be in full swing until 2018. TEN YEARS. I didn't see many of the news items I read address this issue so I was disapointed at first but now realize they will never make it all illegal.

The weed law is one big loophole in itself. It's legal to sell it and possess it in less than 5 gram quantities however, you are not allowed to grow or cultivate it. So those who sell to the shops are doing so illegally though they don't go after growers generally. It's just in the books as illegal.

I can't wait to go back.

bug on your lip
12-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Br0

TOTALLY !

Mr.Nipples
12-08-2008, 11:16 AM
fuck windmills

theres enough dispensaries in oakland and enough hookers to keep me out of there for awhile

kreutz2112
12-08-2008, 11:16 AM
I bet it sucks that the only way you can get laid is by going to brothels in Amsterdam.

faxman75
12-08-2008, 11:27 AM
I bet it sucks that you couldn't come up with anything funnier than that lame ass comment.

Sad.

kreutz2112
12-08-2008, 11:37 AM
I wasn't being funny. I really do feel bad that you have to travel all the way to amsterdam to get laid. Sorry for being empathic.

leo01g
12-08-2008, 11:37 AM
I want to go...
Dont they have really good mdma too?

TomAz
12-08-2008, 11:40 AM
I don't understand why the Dutch refuse to continue to govern their country to suit the needs of a bunch of lascivious American stoners.

marooko
12-08-2008, 11:40 AM
i wanted to go....when i was like 18.

faxman75
12-08-2008, 11:46 AM
I wasn't being funny.

I know, that was my point yet you went for it twice.

kreutz2112
12-08-2008, 11:47 AM
you're missing the point. done.

faxman75
12-08-2008, 11:51 AM
I don't understand why the Dutch refuse to continue to govern their country to suit the needs of a bunch of lascivious American stoners.

They're just smoking to much of their own product to remember what laws they have passed.

nationocean
12-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Paris. is WAAAAAY... way better.

faxman75
12-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Give us some highlites.

Blinken
12-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Paris. is WAAAAAY... way better.

God, I hate Paris.

Rome >London>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Paris

JustSteve
12-08-2008, 12:00 PM
They're just smoking to much of their own product to remember what laws they have passed.

it's the tourists who smoke. hardly anyone we met who lives there partakes in smoking the weed.

TomAz
12-08-2008, 12:01 PM
funny, I would go the other way. Paris > London > Rome. I like Paris a lot, though it has nothing to do with drugs or whores.

marooko
12-08-2008, 12:03 PM
stab

Blinken
12-08-2008, 12:06 PM
The art and architecture was really cool and i enjoyed that. But I got a horrible vibe from the people. Everyone seemed really rude and gave off a horrible impression. I loved Italy for the great art and everyone was really cool and helpful.

faxman75
12-08-2008, 12:19 PM
it's the tourists who smoke. hardly anyone we met who lives there partakes in smoking the weed.

Yes, most people don't and some do just like in the countries where it is illegal.

JustSteve
12-08-2008, 12:20 PM
The art and architecture was really cool and i enjoyed that. But I got a horrible vibe from the people. Everyone seemed really rude and gave off a horrible impression. I loved Italy for the great art and everyone was really cool and helpful.

did you go to florence? where the men whip out their dicks and start jerking off when the see a beautiful woman? yeah, my sis has a few stories...

marooko
12-08-2008, 12:21 PM
yeah, SF is crazy like that.

TomAz
12-08-2008, 12:23 PM

Interesting. I find the French to be very friendly. yes there are assholes in Paris but there are assholes everywhere. Paris is one of those rare cities where (in my experience) people you meet here and there.. waiters, bartenders, etc.. will actually attempt to engage you in conversation deeper than "Hi My Name Is Alex I'll Be Your Server Today May I Suggest You Start Off Your Meal With Some Potato Skins Or Our All New Jalepeno Poppers" and actually seem to mean it.

The thing about the French, and Parisians in particular, is they are very sensitive to certain rules of behavior and not following those rules really creeps them out. Much like not respecting personal space would really creep out an American. If you go into a store and don't say hello to the guy behind the counter. If you stop someone on the street to ask for directions and don't bother to say excuse me, please, and thank you. If you just launch into a conversation with someone in English and don't bother to at least learn "excusez-moi, parlez vous anglais?". That sort of shit drives the French right up a tree.. I mean seriously in their mind that sort of thing is more egregious than cutting in line or something. Drives them batty.

Not saying this is you, of course, but from what I've seen, many Americans get a bad impression of the French by watching the French react to what they consider to be horrifying breaches of civilized conduct.

bug on your lip
12-08-2008, 12:25 PM
whats the name of the park in Paris that is full of hookers n drugz ?

Blinken
12-08-2008, 12:32 PM
did you go to florence? where the men whip out their dicks and start jerking off when the see a beautiful woman? yeah, my sis has a few stories...

I loved Florance. I never saw anything like that over there though.

Interesting. I find the French to be very friendly. yes there are assholes in Paris but there are assholes everywhere. Paris is one of those rare cities where (in my experience) people you meet here and there.. waiters, bartenders, etc.. will actually attempt to engage you in conversation deeper than "Hi My Name Is Alex I'll Be Your Server Today May I Suggest You Start Off Your Meal With Some Potato Skins Or Our All New Jalepeno Poppers" and actually seem to mean it.

The thing about the French, and Parisians in particular, is they are very sensitive to certain rules of behavior and not following those rules really creeps them out. Much like not respecting personal space would really creep out an American. If you go into a store and don't say hello to the guy behind the counter. If you stop someone on the street to ask for directions and don't bother to say excuse me, please, and thank you. If you just launch into a conversation with someone in English and don't bother to at least learn "excusez-moi, parlez vous anglais?". That sort of shit drives the French right up a tree.. I mean seriously in their mind that sort of thing is more egregious than cutting in line or something. Drives them batty.

Not saying this is you, of course, but from what I've seen, many Americans get a bad impression of the French by watching the French react to what they consider to be horrifying breaches of civilized conduct.

Interesting, I tried to speak in french, very poorly, and was polite. Maybe not enough I was 16 at the time so who knows anymore. I don't think I said hi to the shop keeps or stuff like that though. I would give the city another chance someday but there are so many other places i want to travel to that I have never been to before. I had a number of people in France come up to me thinking i was British, so that may have something to do with it too.

chairmenmeow47
12-08-2008, 12:34 PM

wow, i don't feel so bad about not going to see portishead there while i was in st. moritz then, lol.

made me think of this picture though, one of my favourites:

http://ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/582771-2/italy.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=227e5b1ae368eb21ee5b543951 2e9453

and i've really never had a desire to go to amsterdam. i'd definitely go and i'm sure it's fun, but even when i was way into drugs, it just didn't seem all that great. i've never needed to buy sex though :p

faxman75
12-08-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm not way into drugs but it was great. It's such a social city with a lot more to do than just smoke pot. Good beer and lots of interesting history. Museums, art and of course bike riding! My favorite was the giant check board near one of the town squares.

I did more drugs at coachella than I did in amsterdam. Unfortunately I had the same amount of sex at both. :(

nationocean
12-08-2008, 12:45 PM
God, I hate Paris.

Rome >London>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Paris

Lol. well i have family there and speaking french really helps me. i visit as often as possible.

London on the other hand, smells bad, is WAY overpriced and overcrowded.. terrible food, terrible weather...

Rome is beautiful though.

Blinken
12-08-2008, 12:49 PM
speaking english really helps me in London.

chairmenmeow47
12-08-2008, 12:56 PM
fuck the london haters, it's awesome!

minus their distate for good food and ice though. other than that, i freaking loved london.

amyzzz
12-08-2008, 01:00 PM
London is awesome. Or it was 10 years ago when I was there.

Blinken
12-08-2008, 01:01 PM
It has been about 10 years for me too. So of course things have gotten alot more expensive.

TomAz
12-08-2008, 01:06 PM
London's food is much improved. My first trip there (91) I couldnt' believe how awful it was. Been there three or four times since, most recently 07, and it's now very easy to get decent food.

It is expensive as hell there now though. Crazy expensive to get a hotel.

faxman75
12-08-2008, 01:10 PM
I was reading about Frankfurt Germany today. Germany is definitely on the list of places I want to see. Frankfurt looks to be pretty damn cool and affordable.

amyzzz
12-08-2008, 01:11 PM
I ate Indian food and fish and chips a lot when I was in London. I remember at the British music festivals they had some decent food--I think it was something like a crepe which you could get "savory" (with cheese and corn) "or sweet" (with fruit). And of course, the ubiquitous bangers and mash. What an awesome food name, although I would never eat sausage.

Anonymous
12-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Wij houden van het wanneer u Amerikaanse idioten aan Amsterdam komt en geld besteedt.

greghead
12-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Amsterdam is amazing. I have been three times and spent a total of five weeks in the city. I have been in Spring, Summer, and Autumn, and it's different with each season. Prinsengracht Canal at night is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Of course the weed is ridiculous. The Cannibus Cup in 2006 put most American weed to complete and utter shame. As for shops, they're not really stores or dispensaries, they're coffee shops that also happen to sell cannabis. And the coffee over there is magnificent; so you get a nice cup and bag of grass, sit down in a cozy both, and puff away on a number the size of Sharpie. As soon as dispensaries let you do that, I'm in. But until then, Amsterdam will slay any American dispensary

RotationSlimWang
12-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Amsterdam has the best pure MDMA in the world according to a knowledgeable friend of mine. This makes me think I should be moving there promptly.

greghead
12-08-2008, 08:17 PM
^ I can vouch for this. Even the mid-grade is miles beyond most of the "MDMA" that passes through here

Jew'd Law
12-08-2008, 08:33 PM
I want to go...
Dont they have really good mdma too?

Yes they do. Took a page and 1/2 to get to the response to this, but it is magnificent.

chairmenmeow47
12-09-2008, 07:13 AM
I was reading about Frankfurt Germany today. Germany is definitely on the list of places I want to see. Frankfurt looks to be pretty damn cool and affordable.

good food too. the best food i had in london was when we went to a german pub for dinner. that was in 1995 though, i'm sure the food has gotten better since then.

my one gripe with london was that in every museum we went to it was either torture related or it was to look at a bunch of cool stuff they stole from the rest of the world. i remember specifically being confused as to why they were showing us this throning rock from scottland they had stole in like the 1200s and wondering why they didn't just give it back, but someone on fark said they did in like 1996. still though, come on london, give that shit back to where from you got it!!!!!!

greghead
12-09-2008, 07:30 AM
my one gripe with london was that in every museum we went to it was either torture related or it was to look at a bunch of cool stuff they stole from the rest of the world. i remember specifically being confused as to why they were showing us this throning rock from scottland they had stole in like the 1200s and wondering why they didn't just give it back, but someone on fark said they did in like 1996. still though, come on london, give that shit back to where from you got it!!!!!!

This is actually a really huge issue in my field (museum studies), since the former colonies are now wanting back all of shit that was stolen during the rampant imperialism of the 18th, 19th, and 20th centuries.

The British Museum refuses to give anything back, especially the Elgin Marbles and the Egyptian collections, claiming that the works are more culturally significant to British national identity than they are in the lands they were stolen from. They claim that since they "found," preserved, and displayed the artifacts, the Brits have dibs on them. Kind of a finders-keepers kind of thing. Here in the U.S. is a little thing called N.A.G.P.R.A., but even that is kind of a joke.

ShyGuy75
12-09-2008, 07:37 AM
love amsterdam. was struck by how clean it was and how cool the people were.

americans make up a very small % of the "tourists" who are there to explore. backpackers from all over the world dominate the coffee shop scene, along with many locals.

they can do whatever they want with the laws, as long as they keep the Grey Area.

greghead
12-09-2008, 08:28 AM
^ Yes! I love Grey Area. I think it is the only shop owned and operated by an American. It's fucking tiny, but it's a nice taste of home when you've been on the road for a couple months.

faxman75
12-09-2008, 09:28 AM
So while looking at prices for airfare to Amsterdam, I found a flight RT phoenix to dublin + 4 nights at a hostel for $620. Not bad. Very tempting.

greghead
12-09-2008, 09:33 AM
That is a pretty solid deal. But Ireland really sucks this time of year; fucking cold and rainy. I know it's always cold and rainy in Ireland, but this time of year is REALLY FUCKING cold and rainy. In January 2006 I stayed with an Irish friend of mine for two weeks; in those two weeks I can count the number of times I saw the sun on two fingers.

faxman75
12-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Everytime I check Dublin is always the cheapest european city to fly to from Phoenix. I'm gonna see what else is out there but i'm looking at January 15th to 19th as I have a 4 day weekend and i'm gonna toss on 1 PTO day. I would love to go somewhere for that price or cheaper.

algunz
12-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Amsterdam is one of my most favorite cities in the world. It frustrates me that it has this seedy rep because that is such a small part of what the city has to offer.

I saw on America's Next Top Model that there is a campaign to turn some of the brothels into fashion designer's studios. They are doing what they can to move away from the dirty side of Amsterdam, but in some ways it gives the city some character. Although the city has PLENTY of character, culture, and beauty outside of the red light district.

And YES OMG it has the best E I have EVER had. It was the E that brought me back through the city 4 or 5 times on my eurorail pass even though it was many miles out of our way.

greghead
12-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Everytime I check Dublin is always the cheapest european city to fly to from Phoenix. I'm gonna see what else is out there but i'm looking at January 15th to 19th as I have a 4 day weekend and i'm gonna toss on 1 PTO day. I would love to go somewhere for that price or cheaper.

Here's the deal: buy a ticket to Dublin, then fly Ryan Air or Air Lingus to the continent for $40 one way. It's a short flight, and it will save you a good chunk of change that can now be spent on food, drink, and drugs.

faxman75
12-09-2008, 09:44 AM
The city has already started to rent out some of the red light district windows and they put up manequins in some of them and different clothing designers in others. The odd part of redlight to me was the day care center right next to the brothel. :)

faxman75
12-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Here's the deal: buy a ticket to Dublin, then fly Ryan Air or Air Lingus to the continent for $40 one way. It's a short flight, and it will save you a good chunk of change that can now be spent on food, drink, and drugs.

The problem is $40 1 way becomes $80 rout trip and then airport transfers at each of the airports and it's gonna get way costly. I want simple, direct and affordable. It might not be possible but i'm gonna do more research tonight.

greghead
12-09-2008, 09:57 AM
$80 dollars is much less than the $300 extra they want you to pay if you fly right into Schipol. And sometimes it is much less. In March 2007 I flew from London to Amsterdam for $5. Tax and everything brought the total to almost $23.

Airport transfers? What airport transfers? Land in Dublin, spend a night or two drinking, then hop on a plane to the continent, spend a few days over there and then come back. No transfers, no fees.

There are many different ways to do it if you're willing to spend a little extra time instead of extra money

chairmenmeow47
12-09-2008, 09:59 AM
if you're worried about $80 airfare on a trip to europe, may not be the time to be heading to europe :p that's less than a rail pass in most places, christ.

bug on your lip
12-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Amsterdam is one of my most favorite cities in the world. It frustrates me that it has this seedy rep because that is such a small part of what the city has to offer.

And YES OMG it has the best E I have EVER had. It was the E that brought me back through the city 4 or 5 times on my eurorail pass even though it was many miles out of our way.

I can't believe the rep Amsterdam has either Gunz, BUT OMG THE DRUGZ WERE SO GOOD !!! I WENT BACK 10 TIMES AND GOT SUPER FUKKED UP!!!
DRUGSDRUGGGZZZZDRUGGGGSSSGZZZ

algunz
12-09-2008, 10:02 AM
You pick on the best of me. :)

Oh and I would take my daughter there in a second. I wouldn't be the least bit nervous.

faxman75
12-09-2008, 10:32 AM
if you're worried about $80 airfare on a trip to europe, may not be the time to be heading to europe :p that's less than a rail pass in most places, christ.

The issue would be more about the time wasted in different airports. I only have 5 days off total and I lose a day in flights there and back and at airports here and in europe if I continue my journey. Dublin is cool and cold weather doesn't bother me. I'm gonna see what other european options are available as well.

chairmenmeow47
12-09-2008, 10:37 AM
wow, 5 days, that's a hardcore trip!

morelifefucker
12-09-2008, 10:57 AM
is it as easy to get the crackhed drugs such as crack, meth and herion just as easy as it is to get weed? just wondering, i dont smoke crack anymore i quit two weeks ago. or did i?

chairmenmeow47
12-09-2008, 11:00 AM
why would you go to amsterdam for crack?! might as well get a hot dog & apple pie while you're there.

algunz
12-09-2008, 11:02 AM
I think I made sense of your post, mlfucker.

I was offered all of the above drugs in the red light district, but who's to say what you're actually getting on the streets. I did see quite a few people strung out and living on the streets. But that scene seemed to be kept to the RL district.

I stayed in a hostel on the edge of the RLD and one afternoon we were trapped in our building for at least 5 hours because of an ongoing murder investigation. Luckily the downstairs was a coffeeshop, so we were takin care of. :winkiss

shotglass75
12-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Amsterdam: Things to do

Go to The Grey Area and get The Bubblegum and then go for a walk
Go to The Van Gogh Museum
Rent a bike
Get White Widow and sit on a bench
Get Amnesia Haze and get yourself lost (daytime preferably)
If you are going to stay at a Hostel stay at The Flying Pig Downtown and soak in their music collection
Drink a Palm Bier
Drink another Palm Bier
Try not to plan your trip to Amsterdam and just let things happen.

faxman75
12-09-2008, 11:12 AM
You totally left out the little jewish girls attic! I would add a BYOB canal tour, open air not the enclosed ones.

morelifefucker
12-09-2008, 11:15 AM
the price is right gives out trips to amsterdam, that shit would be cool to win a trip there and a replica of a carousel horse.

amyzzz
12-09-2008, 11:28 AM
hahaha

vinylmartyr
12-09-2008, 11:57 AM
There's so many drugs in California why would you need to go to Amsterdam to get loaded?

stinkbutt
12-09-2008, 12:00 PM
faxman needs to get laid not loaded

hence the thread

shotglass75
12-09-2008, 12:25 PM
You totally left out the little jewish girls attic! I would add a BYOB canal tour, open air not the enclosed ones.

There was a 3 hour line to get in. No thanks. The Grey Area is right around the corner from Anne Franks house though.

faxman75
12-09-2008, 12:34 PM
There's so many drugs in California why would you need to go to Amsterdam to get loaded?

That's assuming you just go there to get loaded. This thread talks about the culture AND getting loaded.

faxman75
12-09-2008, 12:37 PM
There was a 3 hour line to get in. No thanks. The Grey Area is right around the corner from Anne Franks house though.

Interesting. We got there about 10 minutes before the doors opened and were 4th in line so there was zero wait. This was in late June. Someone tried to tell us we would have a couple hour wait if we didn't get there a couple hours early. Glad we ignored them.

vinylmartyr
12-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Mostly getting loaded.

malcolmjamalawesome
08-19-2010, 05:03 AM
So I'm going to Amsterdam in a couple of weeks for a bachelor party. Any tips?

obzen
08-19-2010, 05:07 AM
Tip the stripper(s).

stinkbutt
08-19-2010, 05:15 AM
Just the tip

Sploosh

unknown
08-19-2010, 05:17 AM
When are you going, MJA? I'll be there labor day weekend.

malcolmjamalawesome
08-19-2010, 05:56 AM
When are you going, MJA? I'll be there labor day weekend.

That's when I'm going!

guedita
08-19-2010, 09:01 AM
I've told you this before, but if you have time or can convince your crew to get out of Amsterdam, take the train out to Utrecht (20-30 minute ride). The night life there is much better and you can actually meet Dutch women who are down to party, not just tourists.

Also, in Amsterdam, Club Paradiso is a ton of fun. It used to be a Church, but now it's a 3 story club and it's great to party in. Depends on who is booked there though (It looks like Dionne Warwick is playing there that weekend...hehe)

My biggest advice is wander as far away from the train station as possible if you want to get a real feel for the city. Naturally there are strip clubs and bars and coffee shops right away but these are all shitty and touristy and there are strip clubs and bars and clubs and coffee shops that are much better if you walk a bit further.

bleep
08-19-2010, 09:05 AM
Amsterdam has the best Indonesian cuisine in Europe. try it!

unknown
08-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Indonesian food, Van Gogh Museum, Rijkmuseum, canal ride, picture taking, and a couple coffee shops are on my list. MJA, I arrive Friday and leave Sunday. Let me know if you want to meet up for any of those - it would be lovely to hang out with someone for a bit since I'll basically be there alone!

greghead
08-19-2010, 12:11 PM

The best thing about the Anne Frank House is the little basement cafe next door. Seriously. The food is amazing. In my three trips to Amsterdam, I've eaten there about ten times.

For MJA/others going to Amsterdam:

*rent a bike
*go to Barney's for breakfast and fine hash
*Avoid the super-touristy shit between the train station and Dam plaza. Similarly, avoid most of the places on Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal.
*see the Sex Museum, it's really fun and surprisingly interesting.
*Do touristy stuff like Van Gogh museum and the Anne Frank House, etc early in the morning when lines are relatively short.
*Eat. Amsterdam has a huge immigrant population and they seem to all have ridiculously delicious food.

My favorite coffee shops:
Barney's
The Noon
Amnesia
The Grey Area
Abraxas, if you're into edibles and hash cappuccinos/coffee/milkshakes/smoothies
The Grasshopper in the Red Light

guedita
08-19-2010, 12:17 PM
If either of you are brave enough to try harring, please do and think of me. It's the thing I miss most about Holland.

JustSteve
08-19-2010, 12:26 PM
The Grasshopper in the Red Light

is that the one right on the water? near the train station?

djandrews25
08-19-2010, 12:33 PM

Barney's breakfast cafe: Great food and weed.

*edit* greg beat me to it.

Id also recommend looking up the cannibus cup winners, and goto those coffee shops for that specific weed.

djandrews25
08-19-2010, 12:36 PM
If either of you are brave enough to try harring, please do and think of me. It's the thing I miss most about Holland.

The times i went there, i really wanted to try it but couldnt bring myself to. Is it really that good?

guedita
08-19-2010, 12:44 PM
It's a very distinct, fishy, fishy taste and it's pretty slimy, but I loved it. Especially on bread with onions (Broodje Haring met Ui). Most people hate it.

TomAz
08-19-2010, 12:49 PM
herring is good.

all other dutch food is not. well cheese. cheese is good.

guedita
08-19-2010, 12:50 PM
I liked bitterballen as a drunk snack at bars there. But be warned, it's just deep fried horse meat. And you dip it in mustard.

TomAz
08-19-2010, 12:56 PM
when I was in Amsterdam that one time I took a day and drove up to either Edam or Gouda, I don't remember which and not sure that it matters. mmmmmmm cheese.

unknown
08-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Yes. I am very much looking forward to the cheese.

faxman75
08-19-2010, 01:35 PM
lol oh the cheese, this place was closed when we went by it.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Europe%202008/Amsterdam/amsterdam2043.jpg

We stayed near the museumplein area. Right across the street from the Van Gogh and on the other side of town from the Red Light District. It was a nicer neighborhood.

Also by the touristy Amsterdam sign.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Europe%202008/Amsterdam/DSCF0031.jpg

I didn't know what weed to buy or whatever so I stuck to a pack of pre - rolled thai I got at the Bulldog which is actually a chain. I wish I would have went for more of a variety because this was pretty intense and made me a paranoid mute the first time I smoked it.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Europe%202008/Amsterdam/amsterdam2028.jpg

greghead
08-19-2010, 03:11 PM
is that the one right on the water? near the train station?

Water.

And the cold herring was fucking gross, Cara, I have no idea what you're talking about

OnlyNonStranger
08-19-2010, 04:00 PM
I got mugged in Amsterdam.

djandrews25
08-19-2010, 04:11 PM
That's where i got my cheese faxy. They had some amazing stuff and they vacume seal it for you so you can bring it through customs.

malcolmjamalawesome
08-19-2010, 04:18 PM
That's where i got my cheese faxy. They had some amazing stuff and they vacume seal it for you so you can bring it through customs.

"vacume"

daxton
08-19-2010, 04:26 PM
My best friend just arrived in Amsterdam today! I wish I was there again.

algunz
08-19-2010, 04:35 PM

My best tip for you would be to get off the train, wander across, and when you are standing in front of the station, staring out at the city . . . GO TOWARD THE RIGHT!!! :)

enjoy long walks, yet rent a bike often
go to the Van Gogh museum

shermanoaksyo
08-19-2010, 05:05 PM
It's just not much of a good eats kinda town. Eat crap like falafel and shwarma, buy cheese and fruit and crackers from the market, stuff like that. Save your money for booze and other vices.

When I came back from here, not long after 9-11, the TSA guy searched every inch of my bags, took about 30 minutes. Less than fun after a long, long flight.

Then, looking at my itinerary, he asked me if Berlin was the name of a country. Pretty awesome.

djandrews25
08-19-2010, 05:10 PM
"vacume"

damn you

shakermaker113
08-19-2010, 05:11 PM
wow. deep fried horse meat. got to add that to my list.

faxman75
08-19-2010, 05:17 PM
It's just not much of a good eats kinda town.

Sure it is, depends on where you eat is all. I had some of the best Italian food ever at a small deli/restaurant near the museumplein and did some grocery shopping at the underground grocery store which is at the edge of the park where the Van Gogh is situated, grocery shopping in a foreign country is just one of several ways to find some culture in a country you visit as well. I seriously thought it was a parking garage until I went down the stairs. They apparently don't buy big grocery carts full of food at the grocery stores there. Makes sense considering they are all on bikes.

guedita
08-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Albert Heijn is the "Whole Foods" grocery store of Holland. Shop there to look classy.

TomAz
08-19-2010, 06:35 PM
It's just not much of a good eats kinda town. Eat crap like falafel and shwarma, buy cheese and fruit and crackers from the market, stuff like that. Save your money for booze and other vices.

When I came back from here, not long after 9-11, the TSA guy searched every inch of my bags, took about 30 minutes. Less than fun after a long, long flight.

I was there about 6 weeks after 9-11. same deal. they wanted to know the details of every bit of electronics I was carrying with me.

If you want to eat well in Amsterdam, take the train to Brussels.

chiapet
08-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Tip the stripper(s).

Why would you hire a stripper in Amsterdam when prostitution is legal?

daxton
08-19-2010, 07:04 PM
If you want to eat well in Amsterdam, take the train to Brussels.

That is not true. Indonesian food in Amsterdam is where it's at.

chiapet
08-19-2010, 07:31 PM
I thought the food in Amsterdam was really awful, aside from cheese. Just drink.

donkey sex
08-19-2010, 10:29 PM
This is near the top of my first time international destinations along with Beirut/Bekaa Valley (did you know Lebanon is roughly the size of Los Angeles County? I didnt either till my Lebo friend told me. You can see everything in a day if you wanted to) . From what I've read and know about it, here is my current task list if ever make it there:

Acres of colored tulip fields
Wind swept sand dunes by the ocean
Van Gogh
The Ganj

rskapcat
08-20-2010, 06:13 AM
Looks like the husband and I will be going to Europe next fall. Germany to visit relatives and surrounding areas...including Amsterdam. (Hence why I'm posting this riveting story in this thread.)

daxton
08-20-2010, 07:41 AM
I definitely think it's beneficial to explore the Netherlands outside of Amsterdam. Den Haag is a nice place by the sea. More the political capital of Holland, where Amsterdam is more the tourist capital, I guess. And, yes, they have coffee shops outside of Amsterdam, but you can always grab a space cake and jump on a train.

obzen
08-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Why would you hire a stripper in Amsterdam when prostitution is legal?

I was referring to the other 'tip'.

djandrews25
08-20-2010, 04:26 PM
I thought the food in Amsterdam was really awful, aside from cheese. Just drink.

I thought the complete opposite. Although i had a few mediocre meals i stumbled upon several different restaurants that were amazing. Of course i was really stoned the entire time so that probably helped a bit.

greghead
08-20-2010, 04:53 PM
I thought the complete opposite. Although i had a few mediocre meals i stumbled upon several different restaurants that were amazing. Of course i was really stoned the entire time so that probably helped a bit.

Same experience for me. Did not have one truly bad meal in over three weeks in Amsterdam. Pick your spots, people.

chiapet
08-20-2010, 05:01 PM
I'm not going to claim that I tried really hard to find great food there, meaning I didn't research it extensively in advance. I went places Dutch friends had recommended, places that were not very touristy at all, and which looked/smelled good. I usually have no problem finding good food when I travel, but I'm also rather picky about what I'd call a good meal.

Did none of you find the stereotypes to be true? (Sweet / greasy / over cheesing and gravy-ing things).

I had really good food from groceries/shops, though. And the produce was awesome, but that's how it is in all of europe, isn't it?

daxton
08-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Same experience for me. Did not have one truly bad meal in over three weeks in Amsterdam. Pick your spots, people.

Same same.

faxman75
08-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Did none of you find the stereotypes to be true? (Sweet / greasy / over cheesing and gravy-ing things).

The Italian I had was just plain good. There was plenty of greasy food though. This meal was greasy and rich, the red pepper w/ cream cheese in the middle was really good and so was the bacon wrapped shrimp which I have also had in Mexico but this was basically pub food in one of the popular squares maybe a 5 minute walk from the Van Gogh. That's my roommate Joel who you know of course.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v370/205/116/666671283/n666671283_1124797_326.jpg

donkey sex
08-20-2010, 09:46 PM
high & hungry

algunz
08-20-2010, 10:42 PM
high & satiated

faxman75
08-21-2010, 06:16 AM
I was. That guy though, he's never touched a recreational drug in his life believe it or not. Not even once.

JustSteve
08-21-2010, 07:51 AM
i don't trust people like that...

wmgaretjax
08-21-2010, 08:18 AM
That is not true. Indonesian food in Amsterdam is where it's at.

My vote here is an adamant no. But I'm biased... I grew up in Indonesia and am frequently frustrated by the dutch-bastardized versions of Indonesian food you find everywhere else in the world (even in restaurants run by Indonesians).

Not to say that there isn't any good Indonesian food in Amsterdam... But the two joints I tried out were not very good.

weeklymix
08-21-2010, 08:42 AM
I read this entire thread and it just made my penis hurt so bad.

shermanoaksyo
08-21-2010, 09:09 AM
I was there about 6 weeks after 9-11. same deal. they wanted to know the details of every bit of electronics I was carrying with me.

In my case he was pointedly looking for drugs. Makes sense as marijuana is impossible to find in California.

Geno_g
08-21-2010, 10:09 AM
i don't trust people like that...

HAHAHAHAHA

malcolmjamalawesome
08-26-2010, 04:08 AM
Anybody been to Mansion?

Also, check out this festival we're hitting: http://www.valtifest.nl/

marooko
08-26-2010, 06:16 AM
Yeah, man, drugzzz.

unknown
08-26-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm strongly considering this:

http://bimhuis.com/gigs/viral-radio-festival-2010-2

It's Friday & Saturday but I think I'm just gonna go Saturday.

vogina
12-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Heading to Amsterdam in June. Have any of you been there recently? What do you suggest?