PDA

View Full Version : The Killers in 2004

johnnypolite
12-04-2008, 07:43 AM
So did anyone on this board happen to see the Killers in the Gobi that year?

dorkfish
12-04-2008, 09:05 AM
kinda blew.

Sonicifyouwantit
12-04-2008, 09:20 AM
I think I saw them at troubadour after the fest.

fiyahhh!
12-04-2008, 09:22 AM
missed their set, but ran into Brandon and the bass player in the food area near the Sahara. We had met Brandon two nights before at the Great American Music Hall in SF and we told him "see you at Coachella" so when we ran into them we were like "ahahaha! we told you!" I don't think they remembered us, but they were polite and made small talk for a wee bit.

chithanh119
12-07-2008, 05:12 AM
I have no idea.

shakermaker113
12-07-2008, 08:42 AM
I think it's funny that almost nobody knew who they were at coachella, but six months later they were everywhere.

Stainofmind
12-07-2008, 11:17 AM
We had met Brandon two nights before at the Great American Music Hall in SF

was this when they opened up for Stellastarr and Brandon had his shaggy looking hair?

fiyahhh!
12-07-2008, 12:25 PM
was this when they opened up for Stellastarr and Brandon had his shaggy looking hair?

yep. although I don't recall his hair being that shaggy.

beavington
12-30-2008, 06:34 AM

i think i didnt want to give them a chance at the time because they came out of nowhere, i mean literally nowhere and got a spot at coachella. I always wondered how that happened.

ZackQ
12-30-2008, 07:23 AM
I think it's funny that almost nobody knew who they were at coachella, but six months later they were everywhere.

That seems to happen a lot. MGMT from last year was kinda like that.

AlecEiffel
01-14-2009, 12:41 PM

I did. I was extremely excited for it and it ended up being terrible. It put me off of them for a long time. I did, however, see them last month and I thought it was completely awesome. I think they just weren't ready at the time.

shakermaker113
01-14-2009, 07:40 PM
I seem to remember an article in nme quoting brandon flowers on how their set had gone pear shaped in 2004, and how he was looking forward to making up for it in 2005. I don't know why he was under the impressiong they were going to play in 2005.

damn I hate the fact that it's so hard to find old news articles on nme's website. it seems to include all the ads and junk in the indexes for each page, so a whole lot of irrelevant articles appear.

M Sparks
01-16-2009, 10:56 AM

My friend was an engineer at KLAS and I guess one of them worked there, or was an intern or something. The drummer, I think. Apparently he was always doing the "dude, come see my band this weekend" thing and my friend always blew him off. Then he's at Coachella a while later, stops to watch them, and then recognizes the guy after a couple songs.

MGMT were in the Mojave and it was pretty packed. I remember walking over from the Gobi and I couldn't get near it. I didn't bother to walk around the back, maybe there was room there.

AbundantChoice
01-16-2009, 07:13 PM

Or Justice playing a half-full tent in 2007

Alchemy
01-16-2009, 07:39 PM
I blame Of Montreal for MGMT.

MGMT's album is good, at least.

hancho09
02-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Isn't that the goal of Coachella's signings; they want acts that are either acclaimed, relevant up and comers, or not yet known but soon to be.

sonofhal
02-03-2009, 11:27 PM
I watched them. I'd seen them a few months before supporting Stellastarr* in London and i'd been quite blown away by how good they were. I enjoyed the Coachella set too in the ungodly heat.

Unfortunately since then, the venues have got bigger and so have the egos. The performances have become more theatrical whilst the music and lyrics have gone down the shitter. Add to that the George W Bush loving shit that Brandon has spouted in interviews and you get a band that i'd now actively avoid.

shakermaker113
02-04-2009, 07:04 AM
Isn't that the goal of Coachella's signings; they want acts that are either acclaimed, relevant up and comers, or soon to be forgotten.

fixed.

fatbastard
02-04-2009, 07:16 AM
I saw them from start to finish. Yeah, it was hot that year. The only reason for seeing them at all at that time was from an article in the LA Times. I would not have predicted that they would have become as big as they have become.