PDA

View Full Version : Rumors/ Wishlist for Outside lands 2009

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

cradle186
08-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Twin Peaks was the worst out all the stages last year I thought. I was lucky to be able to get up close for Primus, but the stage was like on the top of an incline so I had neck cramps from looking upward. That was the only band that I watched there last year. A good number of bands that I want to see are playing there this year, I hope that they maybe orient it differently.

scoop49er
08-18-2009, 06:46 PM
i agree. u feel like u r looking upward alot so its a weird setup. hopefully its better this year...

tubescape
08-18-2009, 06:49 PM
I saw quite a few acts at the Twin Peaks stage, like Primus, Wilco and Broken Social Scene. I was able to make my way up pretty close with relative ease for all of those, but moving up along the side was tough since on one side there was a constant influx of people entering the event (it is the stage right behind the main Will Call booth). I agree with you BlackSwan that the Sutro stage was far and away the best in terms of its "feel." But it was in a weird hole and unless you were within 50' of the stage or up on the sideslopes (which the VIP area was WAY TOO BIG the first day), you couldn't see sh*t. I saw Cold War Kids, but when I came back for Beck it was total madness. Later in the weekend I got a good spot up on the hill (once they shortened the VIP area) to see Drive By Truckers. I really hope they lift the stage and crank the sound at Sutro this year. Though it looks like I'll be spending almost all-day Saturday in Speedway Meadow...

miSTEVEious
08-18-2009, 09:28 PM
the dodos and akron/family are gonna be awesome on weds/thurs don't miss it!

shakermaker113
08-18-2009, 10:40 PM
yeah I'm looking forward to akron/family. I haven't been to the rickshaw stop in ages. gang gang dance should be fun there also.

Geno_g
08-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Anyone have an extra ticket that they would sell for cheap(sat or sun)?

Thinking of going since this is my last weekend of freedom for a while, until I can get my work covered...

tubescape
08-19-2009, 07:27 AM
go low-ball people on Craigslist or eBay, not here.

scoop49er
08-19-2009, 11:13 AM
cl has some deals.. i got my sat ticket for 60.00

lifewastedinhiding
08-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Can anyone tell me where the closest entrance to the lands end stage will be? Also how far from the stage is this entrance?

tubescape
08-20-2009, 08:09 AM
who do you wanna blow up? gonna have to pack the car pretty full of explosives to impact that stage from the entrance.

it's in the polo fields, but who knows if they'll have the same entrances as last year. look up a map of GG Park or just wait for the festival map.

scoop49er
08-20-2009, 01:22 PM
weather looks good so far for OSL..

Friday, Aug 28 SunshineLow: 56 °FHigh: 77 °F

Saturday, Aug 29 Sunny and very warmLow: 59 °FHigh: 82 °F

Sunday, Aug 30 Mostly sunny and very warmLow: 59 °FHigh: 82 °F

chiapet
08-20-2009, 06:52 PM
That would be incredible if the forecast holds. Which after shows are people going to? I'm doing Gang Gang Dance but don't think I'm going to do any Thur/Fri/Sat nights.

shakermaker113
08-21-2009, 07:33 AM
I'm going to akron/family thurs and gang gang sunday. not sure about friday or saturday yet.

tubescape
08-21-2009, 07:38 AM
^ no OSL night shows for me. 3 full days in the park is quite enough. I feel like if I spend $25 for a night show that starts at 10pm (the same time the festival ends) that I'd be all pre-occupied the last hour or so at the festival planning my escape. As I mentioned earlier, I did an after show last year and saw the Felice Bros. at the Indy, but it was free and literally on my way home from the park. the Holy F*ck show is really tempting, but I'm gonna pass and save my energy.

^^^forecasting the weather 10 days out if San Francisco (GG Park specifically) is near impossible. Sunshine would be nice, but I'd also be happy with overcast conditions just to help minimize the fatigue factor and beer consumption desires.

chiapet
08-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Yea, after shows would have a high flakiness factor for me since I live in the Richmond, but I really want to see Gang Gang Dance in a small venue (instead of festivals) and it doesn't get much smaller than Rickshaw.

Sunshine during the day would be great. After all, it'll be foggy and damp by night anyway :)

unit300021
08-21-2009, 07:53 PM
so I am excited to see Zion-I and I know they have done a lot of collaborations with the grouch and other artists. I was curious of what you guys think are the chances of one of these artists coming out and preforming with them? Thanks

suprefan
08-22-2009, 05:09 PM
MIA is PISSED.

CANT BELIEVE THEY REPLACED BEASTIES WITH TENACIOUS D ????? AND IF I PULL OUT THEY SUE! SO REALLY? TENACIOUS D AFTER ME ?

And yeah

YOUR ALL WELCOME ON STAGE FROM THE GET GO, FUCK IT! IM TAKIN BIRD FLU OUT OF THE SET ! JUS TO MAKE A POINT!

shakermaker113
08-22-2009, 10:04 PM
ROFL.

woogie846
08-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Wait, she's refusing to play a song to make a point about the Beastie Boys getting replaced by Tenacious D? What a dumbass.

WhyTheLongFace
08-23-2009, 12:12 AM
MIA is PISSED.

And yeah

Wait, where did she say this?

Edit: NVM found it hahah I love this chick

fiyahhh!
08-23-2009, 05:56 AM
Less than a week away... sooo, board member meet-up on Saturday in Winehaven. What time is good for everyone? I'm pretty much open from doors - 12:30 and again from 3:15-4:00. We could do another one on Sunday for those that are just going on Sunday.

scoop49er
08-23-2009, 08:37 AM
MIA needs to just shut the fuck up and play her set... let us worry about the D!

chiapet
08-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Less than a week away... sooo, board member meet-up on Saturday in Winehaven. What time is good for everyone? I'm pretty much open from doors - 12:30 and again from 3:15-4:00. We could do another one on Sunday for those that are just going on Sunday.

I have a feeling we're going to have trouble finding times when everyone is free. How many people are in?

I'm open from about 1-2PM then 4-5ish. Bat for Lashes goes on across from Wine Haven (Panhandle stage) at 4:55.

Jon Blazed
08-23-2009, 11:06 AM
MIA needs to just shut the fuck up and play her set... let us worry about the D!

This is so true. I hope she doesn't turn into a Kanye.

BlackSwan
08-23-2009, 11:11 AM
What a dumbass.

This is not a new development.

I'd be available 3:15ish on Saturday as well.

scoop49er
08-23-2009, 11:11 AM
weather info as of today:

Friday, Aug 28More Details Areas of fog, then sunny Low: 58 °FHigh: 74 °F

Saturday, Aug 29More Details Mostly sunny and niceLow: 57 °FHigh: 72 °F

Sunday, Aug 30More Details Mostly sunny High 72Low: 58 °F

BlackSwan
08-23-2009, 11:12 AM
Seriously scoop?

Jon Blazed
08-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Wait, where did she say this?

Edit: NVM found it hahah I love this chick

Where did you find it?

tubescape
08-24-2009, 07:39 AM
MIA needs to STFU and play HER show. Those who bought tix before the BBoys had to cancel are already bummed, the last thing they need is a some artist with an ego to play a lesser quality gig becasue she doesn't like who is coming out afterward.

BlackSwan
08-24-2009, 08:58 AM
This is pretty much her saying that she is going to come out and not give a fuck about her set. How much worse can it really be?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-24-2009, 08:59 AM
MIA is PISSED.

And yeah

God I love this woman.

Egull
08-24-2009, 09:59 AM
This is pretty much her saying that she is going to come out and not give a fuck about her set. How much worse can it really be?

Or try to make it better then usual...

P.S I ORIGINALLY BOOKED ON SHOWS COZ BEASTIES WERE HEADLINERS , BUT NOW THEY AINT DOING IT AND I JUS WANNA SAY , WE HAVE TO GO HARD!!!

scoop49er
08-24-2009, 10:03 AM
M.I.A. is ok as a artist, but people are selling their tickets for sunday now for like 40 bucks... so she is not the reason they were going on sunday.....

Egull
08-24-2009, 10:09 AM
M.I.A. is ok as a artist, but people are selling their tickets for sunday now for like 40 bucks... so she is not the reason they were going on sunday.....

Where did you see Sunday tickets for $40, I just looked through Craigslist tickets and did not find one under $70...

beavington
08-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Where did you find it?

its on her twitter. God when will twitter go away.

scoop49er
08-24-2009, 11:27 AM
the person im getting 40.00 tix from had them at 75 to start then worked it down to 40. they just want to get rid of them....

i wasnt gonna go but for 40.00 i may stay for the day...

chiapet
08-24-2009, 01:01 PM
I bet a lot of people are dumping the tickets. Beasties were the reason a lot of people bought tickets for Sunday only, and let me just say... the revised posters all over town with Tenacious D in the Beasties' spot.. don't look very impressive at all.

sbessiso
08-24-2009, 05:10 PM
I need to really emphasize how much I hate you all for not only getting to see Tenacious D but getting to see them at a festival and on top of that CLOSING OUT THE ENTIRE WEEKEND.

Like how do I put this? If they were headlining from the get go I would have been attending this.

So who's going to rock out in the front in my honor?

KJBil0w6j_s
SrRipWlamfM
4fbli2HUcw0

shakermaker113
08-24-2009, 05:51 PM
hmm. now a cheap ticket makes sunday more tempting.

WhyTheLongFace
08-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Where did you find it?

Her twitter

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-25-2009, 07:30 AM
I need to really emphasize how much I hate you all for not only getting to see Tenacious D but getting to see them at a festival and on top of that CLOSING OUT THE ENTIRE WEEKEND.

Like how do I put this? If they were headlining from the get go I would have been attending this.

So who's going to rock out in the front in my honor?

Salah is a closet Bro.

moviebruin
08-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Anyone hitting up the Clipse show on saturday night at the Mighty? I think I rather go there than listen to DMB. Does anyone know how far the Mighty is from GG Park and if its walkable maybe?

sbessiso
08-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Since when is The D bro music? Don't be dumb!

I do enjoy the occasional Jack Johnson though

fiyahhh!
08-25-2009, 08:28 AM
This just in --

Lila Downs has cancelled due to appendicitis. Nortec Collective named as replacement act.

This was on the OSL homepage.

BlackSwan
08-25-2009, 08:44 AM
Anyone hitting up the Clipse show on saturday night at the Mighty? I think I rather go there than listen to DMB. Does anyone know how far the Mighty is from GG Park and if its walkable maybe?

It's not even close to being walkable, and a cab will probably cost you more than the Clipse ticket.

BlackSwan
08-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Ah, my ticket turned out to be a VIP ticket, and we didn't buy a second VIP ticket. Fuck.

aphrael
08-25-2009, 10:58 AM
It's not even close to being walkable, and a cab will probably cost you more than the Clipse ticket.

Your definition of walkable is a bit different than mine; on Saturday i'm walking to and from the CalTrain station. :)

It's about five miles to the Mighty from the OSL venue. Depending on your walking speed this could be anywhere from 75 min to two hours.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Since when is The D bro music? Don't be dumb!

I do enjoy the occasional Jack Johnson though

aphrael
08-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Nortec Collective named as replacement act.

That's fantastic. :)

Bud Luster
08-25-2009, 11:26 AM

yeah, its too far to walk. You could do it, but... Just get a cab or ride the muni. And for the record, I always have a good time @ Mighty...

*Edit, Im considering going to OSL on Friday (only), anyone else going Friday?

chiapet
08-25-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm going the whole weekend.

BlackSwan
08-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Your definition of walkable is a bit different than mine; on Saturday i'm walking to and from the CalTrain station. :)

It's about five miles to the Mighty from the OSL venue. Depending on your walking speed this could be anywhere from 75 min to two hours.

That is silly, but you are right it's only around 5 miles.

aphrael
08-25-2009, 12:50 PM
That is silly, but you are right it's only around 5 miles.

I'm too impatient to wait for public transit and won't have a car on Saturday; and two hours is well within walking distance. :)

For Spectrum - when I didn't want to look for parking near the venue - I parked at Lone Mountain and walked to/from the Regency Ballroom. It mostly worked fine, although I was cramping up when I got back to the car (5 hrs of dancing on top of the walking will do that to a guy ...)

scoop49er
08-25-2009, 12:55 PM
you tube got the right to the webcast so everyone can watch all of us become winos! :)

and i just got a cheap ass 3 day pass so ill be there all 3 days so thank goodness the schedule works for me to keep busy and see around 25-30 bands for the 3 days! :)

fri im going alone which will be a first for me so if anyone wants a free beer, let me know.. i get lonely so ill bribe u to hang out for a few.. :)

sat i have my brothers in town and my girl will go with me sunday...

BlackSwan
08-25-2009, 01:24 PM
my girl will go with me sunday...

I don't think they allow pets on the festival grounds unless they are a service animal. You might want to look that up.

scoop49er
08-25-2009, 02:27 PM
u remember when i said i would look for you... dont post a picture of urself or it will get ugly... trust me im that fucking crazy to do it blackswan...

scoop49er
08-25-2009, 02:28 PM
i tried to be cool with u but now my old school latino side has come out so i will find you and just enjoy the silence fucker...

Egull
08-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Anyone going to this:
TAKING WOODSTOCK SCREENING PRESENTED BY GLOBAL INHERITANCE
Outside Lands ticket holders can see a sneak peek of Taking Woodstock, the newest film from Focus Features & director Ang Lee, on Aug. 26 in SF. RSVP to woodstock@globalinheritance.org to hold your spot. Once you receive confirmation, bring your Outside Lands tickets plus ID, present them at the Global Inheritance table at the Metreon beginning at 5pm & get 2 passes.

tubescape
08-25-2009, 03:47 PM
^I sent an e-mail and would like to go, but haven't heard a word back. I had no idea where (until I read your post) and still have no idea when the show is. Went to the GlobalInheritance.org website and there is nothing mentioned. Not too concerned, but it does look like a fun movie.

Switching gears... the hate on OSL on this board has definitely calmed down, but it seems everywhere I turn on-line there is some music writer b*tching about it. Worst part is, they probably aren't even going and never went last year either. If they did, it was probably just to see Radiohead and Beck and that was admittedly a clusterf*ck of a scene. I'm not super jazzed on the line-up (particularly not the headliners), but it will still be a really fun 3-days. This isn't the perfectly, lazer leveled flat, manicured lawns of Coachella folks. There are hills, trees, shrubbery (yeah, someone bring me a f*cking shubbery!!) and dirt. Grab a hoodie, put on some shoes & socks, and have a good time. I hope this festival is here to stay and can get past all the bullsh*t being spewn about. I know some of you who capped on it are going to be sitting at home watching the live webcast of some of the artists while we're there actually experiencing it.

psycobetabuckdown
08-25-2009, 04:17 PM
plant

BlackSwan
08-25-2009, 04:38 PM
u remember when i said i would look for you... dont post a picture of urself or it will get ugly... trust me im that fucking crazy to do it blackswan...

i tried to be cool with u but now my old school latino side has come out so i will find you and just enjoy the silence fucker...

I'll make it easy for you. Here is a picture of me...

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2971/matn.jpg

And we can meet on Saturday when your brothers are with you. I will make you all wish that your parents had never snuck into this country, and crapped you out. 4:00... Saturday... on the Polo Field near the main stage, bitch.

mikeymikemikey
08-25-2009, 10:25 PM
seriously though, jason mraz is a badass.. i wouldnt fuck with him. even if i did have my bros with me.

roboticwaltz
08-26-2009, 12:44 AM
Nortec is a very big plus. Also, do any of you residents know of a decent place to park my car for 4 days? I don't plan on driving once I'm in the city, so I'll do anything to avoid paying $100 to park there.

PassiveTheory
08-26-2009, 12:52 AM
I guess I'm not the only person who gives a shit about Nortec Collective. Awesome.

Well played, Outside Lands... well played. You wont be getting my money this year but... well played.

tubescape
08-26-2009, 07:41 AM
plant

is that right? because I don't have half the posts you do on this board it makes me an insider/"plant" working for the festival? trust me, I'm pretty bummed I dished out $450 for two 3-day passes on the 'early bird' specials, when I am now seeing them for $160 each on Craigslist. I'm just a music fan like most of the others on this board. if anything, I wrote what I wrote as a way to pump myself up for this and try not to think too much about the downside. I'm gonna go have some fun this weekend. A lot of people are overlooking acts like TV On the Radio, The Mars Volta, Modest Mouse, Band of Horses, etc. that are all going to put on a good show despite all the sh*t talking on the internet.

fiyahhh!
08-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Nortec is a very big plus. Also, do any of you residents know of a decent place to park my car for 4 days? I don't plan on driving once I'm in the city, so I'll do anything to avoid paying $100 to park there.

www.gottapark.com

or

www.parkingcarma.com

Egull
08-26-2009, 11:06 AM

If you drive around sunset away from the park, maybe check the streets off of Taraval between 25th and 35th you should be able to find parking depending on when you are arriving and then you can just take the L depending on where you are staying. I have always been able to find parking in those neighborhoods but you might just have to drive around a little. Also make sure you look for street sweeping signs, but seeing as its the last Fri, Sat, and Sun of the month it shouldn't be an issue. But maybe I am underestimating the crowd the festival will bring.

aphrael
08-26-2009, 12:51 PM
I didn't park for OSL last year, but for Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, I was unable to find a parking place anywhere north of the park and west of Stanyan; I ended up parking on Lone Mountain and running to the venue. (I barely got there in time for Gogol Bordello).

PassiveTheory
08-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Anybody going Saturday (god forbid, but nonetheless) should go see Infantree around noon. They're good people.

mikeymikemikey
08-26-2009, 02:44 PM
m.i.a. and ween should just switch stages

scoop49er
08-26-2009, 03:15 PM

And we can meet on Saturday when your brothers are with you. I will make you all wish that your parents had never snuck into this country, and crapped you out. 4:00... Saturday... on the Polo Field near the main stage, bitch.

c u then..... trust me...

scoop49er
08-26-2009, 03:17 PM
m.i.a. and ween should just switch stages

M.I.A. hopefully will try to put on a decent set..

ten D is saying they will have a surprise.... dont know if thats enough to stay..

BlackSwan
08-26-2009, 03:18 PM
I'll even wear that hat on Saturday to make it easier to find me. Since you're getting older, I'm sure your eyes are starting to fail on ya.

scoop49er
08-26-2009, 04:21 PM
I'll even wear that hat on Saturday to make it easier to find me. Since you're getting older, I'm sure your eyes are starting to fail on ya.

u dont have the balls my friend... trust me u dont.... but if u want to keep pushin it then go ahead... ur call buddy...

scoop49er
08-26-2009, 04:22 PM
blackswam, pm me going forward cuz i dont want this to fuck up this thread. this is between u and me now..... no one else.... sorry everyone....

BlackSwan
08-26-2009, 04:30 PM
You already fucked up this thread.

luckyface
08-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Fuck up the thread? This is the only thing entertaining going on in the thread.

Keep up the good work Swanny.

scoop49er
08-26-2009, 07:41 PM
yeah swanny, keep it up..... ill see u sat.... wear a smile........

BlackSwan
08-26-2009, 09:24 PM
If that's the way you feel, post a picture of yourself and make it even.

tubescape
08-27-2009, 07:52 AM
blackswam, pm me going forward cuz i dont want this to fuck up this thread. this is between u and me now..... no one else.... sorry everyone....

we're gonna need an unbiased observer to report back on how things shake out. I can be that person. let's see this go down around 6:45pm on Saturday near the Panhandle Solar Stage during Deerhunter. No time limit, no rounds, winner take all.

tubescape
08-27-2009, 07:54 AM
...or, you two gents can get over your internet egos and just share a beer, smoke, whatever and enjoy the park like the rest of us. play nice.

chiapet
08-27-2009, 11:12 AM
So did you guys decide on a meetup time?

BTW, it has been really cold out by the park in the early evening... like colder than usual, and a decent amount of fog. That being said it is so sunny and nice in SF right now. Not hot but in the sun it's actually warm. :)

BlackSwan
08-27-2009, 11:38 AM
See scoop, that is how you make a post about the weather.

Egull
08-27-2009, 11:50 AM
So did you guys decide on a meetup time?

BTW, it has been really cold out by the park in the early evening... like colder than usual, and a decent amount of fog. That being said it is so sunny and nice in SF right now. Not hot but in the sun it's actually warm. :)

Ya today is really nice, hopefully it will be like this at least during the day at OSL.

chiapet
08-27-2009, 12:17 PM
My thought exactly! I'm one of those people who wears a jacket almost every day in SF, even though I've lived here for a decade, and I actually took my jacket off at lunch because I was warm. Even if it's not warm I hope it's at least as clear and sunny as it is today.... and today started with a bunch of fog even, so I have my hopes up.

Bud Luster
08-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Are scoop and swan gonna fight or fuck. so confused...

kevindie
08-27-2009, 02:31 PM
c u then..... trust me...

err, im pretty sure i wanna see this go down.hahah

digitaldragon03
08-27-2009, 02:43 PM

Give him a little extra something for those god-awful Coachella predictions threads he makes and fills with completely false information.

scoop49er
08-27-2009, 09:14 PM
blackswan pm me....

ill be at the motel 6 on s. airport blvd so anytime that the concert is not going down illl meet u there.. if not then pick a better spot so we can do this.... im not spedning money to get kicked out cuz i fucking beat ur ass.. u find a spot that suits u and im there..

wmgaretjax
08-27-2009, 09:15 PM
jesus christ. fuck off meathead.

scoop49er
08-27-2009, 09:17 PM
no he wants this then he gets it.... hey i can be cool but he has been a shit before and i know of his crap so if he wants to show off on this board then he can do it in my face.... meathead will get him.. :)

wmgaretjax
08-27-2009, 09:20 PM
circle jerk with PMs then.

scoop49er
08-27-2009, 09:22 PM
lol. nice one....:)

i will pm going forward.. this thread sucked anyways so might as well throw some tabloid steroid ufc shit in there.. :)

blackswan is a cunt though and he knows where to find me..

have fun! :)

wmgaretjax
08-27-2009, 09:25 PM
faggy smiley face meathead

Jon Blazed
08-27-2009, 09:52 PM
I'm going the whole weekend.

i'm jealous chiapet. bring lots of glow sticks!

Jon Blazed
08-27-2009, 09:55 PM

I definitely walked five miles last year out of that god damn park and i had a fucked up foot too. No mars volta?

BlackSwan
08-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Ahaahahaha... so cute.

On a positive note, I just procured the second VIP ticket I needed. Joyous.

Jon Blazed
08-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Fuck. This thread has made a turn for awesome...sorry I enteruppted.

Jon Blazed
08-27-2009, 10:06 PM
BANG! BANG! BITCHES!

BlackSwan
08-27-2009, 10:12 PM
blackswan pm me....

ill be at the motel 6 on s. airport blvd so anytime that the concert is not going down illl meet u there.. if not then pick a better spot so we can do this.... im not spedning money to get kicked out cuz i fucking beat ur ass.. u find a spot that suits u and im there..

Don't be such a pussy. They usually don't kick you out after you have been beat up. You'll end up at the first aid station. So you have three options...

1. Original time, and place:

2. Meet me a 48 Turk St. at 3:33 am. Alone.

3. Shut the fuck up.

Jon Blazed
08-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Dance off
Z67F7emP1_A

PassiveTheory
08-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Can someone tape the fight? I want to try and secure the rights to Board Fights.

wmgaretjax
08-27-2009, 10:51 PM
BOY FIGHTS.

shakermaker113
08-28-2009, 08:19 AM
it's a fucking beautiful day here. to the point where I no longer care who is playing because it's going to be so damn nice in the park.

enjoy, everyone.

aphrael
08-28-2009, 10:17 AM
I definitely walked five miles last year out of that god damn park and i had a fucked up foot too. No mars volta?

Oh, I'll be going to Mars Volta. The last train is at midnight, I can get there by then if I leave at 10. :)

my weekend highlights are:

Friday: Tom Jones, Pearl Jam (I have to work during the day, alas)
Saturday: Zion I, Nortec Collective, Mastodon, Bat for Lashes, Mars Volta
Sunday: Cage the Elephant (third time this year), Atmosphere, Calexico

chiapet
08-28-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm wearing jeans, and I'm actually pretty warm. Wishing I'd worn shorts and brought pants with me. So far I've seen half of sambada and half of Akron/family, next up LC! I haveno energy today and decided it was a good idea to drink my lynch. It could be a long day. :)

chiapet
08-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Oh and already my favorite quote today, ID guy: right wrist. Guy: *whinge* I have A cut on my right wrist. Put it on my left. ID guy: I don't care if you had vaginal reconstruction on it, Right wrist!

pancakespancakes
08-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Guess where I wish I was today! :nono

It's in the 90s here in San Diego today. Oh how I miss the lovely San Fran fog. Haven't even been back since OSL 08. You guys are gonna have so much fun this weekend, I just know it.

sbessiso
08-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Tenacious fucking D

:mad:`

chiapet
08-28-2009, 02:39 PM
pancakes, it was 90 here today. Fortunately the wind is starting to kick up and it's gotten cooler in the last 30 min. Perfect right now.

faxman75
08-28-2009, 04:47 PM
They really have some shitty bands on the stream lineup. West Indian Girls sounds ok though.

http://www.youtube.com/outsidelands

I'll be listening Sunday for the Dead Weather.

psycobetabuckdown
08-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Damn I'm lovin Q-Tip/Silversun Pickups. Then Thievery, and my night is spent on the computer.

psycobetabuckdown
08-28-2009, 06:20 PM
if anything, I wrote what I wrote as a way to pump myself up for this and try not to think too much about the downside. I'm gonna go have some fun this weekend. A lot of people are overlooking acts like TV On the Radio, The Mars Volta, Modest Mouse, Band of Horses, etc. that are all going to put on a good show despite all the sh*t talking on the internet.

Word. I wish I was there. It's not like last year's lineup was Coachella-esque either, but man I'm getting depressed watching the live stream.

fiyahhh!
08-28-2009, 11:30 PM
just got home after day 1. Highlights for me included: getting to meet Los Campesinos! as we crossed paths going to Lindley Meadow, seeing panties (like, a ton of them) being thrown at Tom Jones, Q-Tip doing a bunch of Tribe Called Quest songs and bringing out Phife Dawg, and finally getting to see Built to Spill.

If anyone wants to spill some wine with me in Winehaven tomorrow, I'll be there at various times throughout the day, wearing this hat

http://store.japan-zone.com/images/apparel/baseball_caps/yomiuri_giants_cap.jpg

and a grey shirt that says Amendment 21 in big orange letters on the back. I'll probably be there from 12:00-12:30 and from 3:30 to 4:00, with other visits spread throughout the day.

miSTEVEious
08-29-2009, 12:07 AM
Q-Tip doing a bunch of Tribe Called Quest songs and bringing out Phife Dawg

jesus that sounds awesome

i'll be at the park tomorrow, trombone shorty/mastadon > os mutantes > tv on the radio > deerhunter > mars volta/dmb (a game time decision)

gonna be a good day of music!

tubescape
08-29-2009, 06:12 AM
amazing day yesterday. incredibly warm. news report last night claimed a record high temp of 96-degrees F was recorded in downtown SF.

highlights - Akron/Family had a pretty brilliant jam; Q-Tip and Phife sharing the stage and bringing Tribe back into everyone's lives; Silversun Pickups absolutely slaying the mainstage, they were on fire and seemed to be rocking an inspired set; Built to Spill; Tom Jones and the 25 pairs of women's panties on the stage; and Pearl Jam, despite a vocally struggling Vedder.

yeah, it's 7am and I can't sleep b/c we have morning light in our apartment and its already 70-degrees. gonna be another scorcher!

(saw at least 10 guys hop the fence in different areas, saw 2 of them get the bear-hug capture and escort off the premises... )

sbessiso
08-29-2009, 06:15 AM
omg I need to see these Tom Jones videos

chiapet
08-29-2009, 06:45 AM
I woke up due to the warmth/brightness too. It just saw a weather forecast that called for "low 70s to upper 80s" for the high today. Way to narrow it down to a 15-20 degree range - especially when it's already in the upper 70s. I'm guessing it's going to be around 90 again today. I'm going to dress appropriately this time. (I wore jeans yesterday and was really warm until like 5 -- and never needed my jacket at all last night).

GeezrRckr
08-29-2009, 08:28 AM
yes, yesterday was gorgeous. one of the best weather days i can recall in my 14 years living here. i rode home on the moto in shorts sleeves...don't recall ever doing that (at night).

first of all, major props to APE for implementing positive changes - water refill, transport, addition of the barbary, fixing the sound/power problems, etc.

my highlights:
los campesinos (unfortunately going up against BTS caused much too many people to miss their amazing set)
qtip
duke spirit

and, silversun pickups ruled the day for me too. man, they have really gotten good in the past year (this was my third time seeing them this year and, by far, yesterday's show was the best and they were having way too much fun up there).

shakermaker113
08-29-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm totally digging this weather.

Bud Luster
08-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Sooo fucking jealous of the Q tip / Phife / ATCQ bizness. I was on the treadmill at the gym (I think it was Wednesday) and Q tip was on Martha Stewart with his little dog cooking up something in the kitchen...

suprefan
08-29-2009, 04:09 PM
I like the webcast being on youtube, high bit rate and sounds good. Maybe Coachella thinks about this, or uses the same people who did All Points West and Lolla this year.

tubescape
08-30-2009, 07:52 AM
day 2 recap:

after a hot morning, the onshore winds picked up & although the sun shined until sunset, the temps were much more manageable, perfect actually. started with Street Sweeper, which sounded to me like a logical progression of Rage. wasn't totally feeling it and headed over to Groundation after 4 songs to go get a little reggae. Then went to check Dengue Fever after that and grooved. Wandered over to Mastodon and enjoyed what they had going, but still nothing really was raising the hairs up on the back of my neck. Caught Bat for Lashes and just chilled on the grass getting ready for the best part of the day. the next 4 hours was when everything kicked into gear. TV on the Radio was so f*cking good. Hitting myself for never catching these guys before. They were really rocking and enjoying themselves start to finish and they knew the audience appreciated it. Great 1hr set! Deerhunter was also good, but after 4 songs I got the itch to go check Conor Oberst. Good move, as I got there right when he invited Jenny Lewis (not playing the festival) onto the stage for song. Chilled for a few songs, then hustled my way back for Mars Volta. Probably not the best idea to walk all the way over to Oberst then right back for MV and that was likely the reason all my friends decided to go right for DMB, but f*cking-A was it worth it. The Mars Volta were insane. The lead singer's stage presence was so 'rock-n-roll' that I'm sure he was partially possessed by some sort of futuristic rock icon none of ever has ever heard of. The guy standing next to me even looked at me at one point and said "I've barely ever heard of these guys and thought I'd check 'em out, but never knew it was going to be something like this. This is f*cking awesome!" After that I managed find my friends at DMB by essentially walking into them and got about 45 min of Dave, Tim Reynolds, and company.

day 3 has dawned. the fog is back, the weather is 15-20 degrees cooler than yesterday, and I'm getting ready to wrap this festival up. another great day (though with lots of conflicts for me) is in the works. hope you all are enjoying the park. eat some crispy mac n' cheese (near winehaven/panhandle solar stage), you'll thank me.

sbessiso
08-30-2009, 08:03 AM
EVERYBODY WATCH TENACIOUS D!!!!!!!!!!!!

Egull
08-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Deerhunter was also good, but after 4 songs I got the itch to go check Conor Oberst. Good move, as I got there right when he invited Jenny Lewis (not playing the festival) onto the stage for song. Chilled for a few songs, then hustled my way back for Mars Volta.

This was exactly what I did yesterday as well, and I am so glad I did, Conor Oberst and Jenny Lewis were awesome, and the other Conor songs I heard were really good as well. The Mars Volta were probably my favorite from yesterday, so much energy, and actually played some of my favorite songs off of the first record. Stoked for one final day that will be cooler, I am already really sunburned from the first two days.

suprefan
08-30-2009, 09:57 AM
EVERYBODY WATCH TENACIOUS D!!!!!!!!!!!!

No....

Jon Blazed
08-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Silversun Pickups sound hella good on the webcast.

suprefan
08-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Silversun Pickups sound hella good on the webcast.

Yeah that was yesterday, and you sure are making yourself out to be from up north with the hella...

gmoneyak
08-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Atmosphere performing with Brother Ali right now on the webcast.

And yeah, I'm digging the stream. Decent audio and great picture, the weather looks cool there today.

Dead Weather tonight!

EDIT: the Robert Randolph footage had a high bit rate, the Atmosphere one is running a lil' low.

sbessiso
08-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Did I miss the Dead Weather webcast? Whats the link??

paulb
08-30-2009, 04:27 PM
i should be seeing the Beastie Boys right now :(

mrrydogg
08-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Anyone see Ranger Dave's tweet "Check your headliner"??

Could it be? Was Tenacious D a bit of trickery??

shakermaker113
08-30-2009, 08:31 PM
no, tenacious d was for real.

I ended up going today. my roommate was looking for company and found me a $40 ticket. good deal right there.

I had a good time. though I am once again reminded that I like my festivals hot.

sbessiso
08-31-2009, 02:44 AM
OK, so at the risk of sounding like a broken fucking record...

Did anyone see THE D?!?!?

WOW

VgwBlPS6ufQ

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-31-2009, 07:19 AM
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/08/31/tenacious-d-battle-the-devil-to-wrap-up-outside-lands-fest/

Beastie Boys replacement headliner Jack Black of mock rockers Tenacious D sent his love to the ill Adam Yauch Sunday night during a chilly set that closed out the final day of San Francisco’s Outside Lands in Golden Gate Park. “Adam, I love you, you’re the greatest,” said the charismatic Black, dripping with sweat from their 100-minute, skit-filled performance, which included a duel with the Devil. “Get well, my brother.”

The D — who said San Francisco hosted one of their first gigs as a band almost a decade ago — played to a few thousand stalwart fans braving 50-something degree evening lows and the misty ocean air. Drawing from their 2001 and 2006 albums Tenacious D and The Pick of Destiny, the band opened at 7:40 p.m. with “Kielbasa,” drawing big crowd whoops. Another album opener, “Kickapoo,” followed, leading into Tenacious D’s first skit.

“I turned 40 years old this week, and I feel like I’m in the body of a 10 year old,” said Black, who began doing gymnastics. A stunt double performed several back handsprings and Kyle Gass denigrated such fakery. Black exploded, forcing Kyle to quit the band onstage. “Dude (I Totally Missed You)” brought Gass back for “Friendship.”

Though the band lip synced to “Master Exploder” lyrics “I do not need / a microphone / my voice is fuckin’ / powerful!” Black displayed surprising range and theatricality, and audience members rubbed sore jaws from smiling at the endless antics. The mirthful D deftly handled “Tribute” — the first single off their 2001 platinum debut — before dueling with the Devil, to whom they renounced allegiance.

“The devil fucking sucks. Fuck the devil. Jesus is awesome. The devil can suck my dick,” spat Black, who didn’t skimp on the expletives Sunday, later stating, “I wish I could fuck all of you. I can’t. That’s unreasonable. But I can try.”

An early encore brought the band back for “Fuck Her Gently,” proudly sung by both the men and women left in attendance, thus concluding day three of the second annual music and arts festival in Golden Gate Park.

Almost 100 bands drew in excess of 100,000, said Outside Lands organizer Rick Farman, co-founder of Bonnaroo presenters Superfly, who co-presented Outside Lands with Berkeley’s independent Another Planet Entertainment.
The loss of main headliner Beastie Boys at the last minute put the organizers in uncharted territory. “My first thought was, ‘My heart goes out to him,’ ” said Farman. “But yeah, we’ve never had a headline-level act drop out like that.”

Some fans were expectedly upset Tenacious D replaced the Beasties, and even Sunday performer M.I.A. took to Twitter last week, alluding that she would have backed out of opening for the D it weren’t for the threat of lawsuit. “When I went online the next day, though, there were as many people who were stoked to hear we had Tenacious D,” said Farman. “Jack Black doesn’t tour very much and we were very happy he stepped up.” Indeed, in the spirit of the date, Tenacious D souvenir T-shirts depicted Beastie Boys’ Check Your Head album cover with Black and Gass photoshopped in. The title read Check Your Headliner.

Though Sunday sales slackened, the healthy turnout was a testament to the resilience of music consumers amid the downturn, Farman said. The event leveraged San Francisco’s food, wine, technology and activism cultures to give festival-goers a one-of-a-kind, world-class experience. More than 100 local restaurants and wineries doled out low-cost delights like black truffle aoli with fries, and organic smores to go with the wine tastings. A first for the tech giant, YouTube Webcasted the festival and drew hundreds of thousands of viewers. Free water bottle refills, bike valet and ample municipal buses kept fans hydrated and happy.

Outside Lands will be back next year, says Farman. “We’re in it for the long term. We’re thinking in terms of decades.”

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-31-2009, 07:22 AM
only 100,000 over the 3 days? Attendence took a dive for sure...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-31-2009, 07:24 AM
Moar...
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/30/DD8R19G2V5.DTL

Outside Lands coasts on variety, not urgency
Aidin Vaziri, Chronicle Pop Music Critic

Monday, August 31, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print E-mail del.icio.us
Digg
Technorati
Reddit
Facebook Slashdot
Fark
Newsvine
Google Bookmarks
Share Comments (39)
Georgia (default)
Verdana
Times New Roman
ArialFont | Size:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at the masses aimlessly wandering through at the second annual Outside Lands Music & Arts Festival in Golden Gate Park over the weekend, it seemed like there were few acts on the bill anyone actually felt they had to see.

Images

View More Images

Dave Matthews Band? "Sure, they're all right." Incubus? "Oh yeah, that one song was pretty cool." Jason Mraz? "Who's that again?"

The promoters Another Planet Entertainment had three years to plan the first festival. Permits for this year's event remained tied up with the San Francisco Recreation and Park Department until just a few months out, even though the agency stands to reap up to $1.7 million when all is said and done.

So unlike last time, when people stampeded for hot commodities like Radiohead and Wilco, this year it felt like they were there simply soak it all in - the sun, the spectacle, the food, the alcohol and, hey, maybe some music from a lineup that was decidedly diffuse.

With seven official stages, several vendor tents offering live entertainment and almost 100 acts spread out over the enormous Polo Field and neighboring Speedway and Lindley meadows, there were plenty of options at the three-day festival.

Whether it was Oakland's Zion I dropping socially conscious verses over lush futuristic funk tunes on Saturday afternoon, or Silversun Pickups charging through loud psychedelic guitar convulsions the evening before, the bands on the bill covered a broad spectrum of tastes.

That didn't mean the audiences - an estimated 100,000 people showed up over the course of the weekend - were entirely willing to give up the oldies for obscurities.

An inexplicably large crowd showed up to shower 69-year-old Tom Jones with undergarments as he trudged through casino chestnuts like "Green, Green Grass of Home" and "Delilah," while killer young bands like the Duke Spirit and Deerhunter essentially played for the gophers.

Given a choice between TV on the Radio's waves of distorted noise and the Black Eyed Peas' pole-dance-ready pop hits on Saturday evening, most chose the latter's "My Humps."

Mraz, whose lite-rock hit "I'm Yours" has become virtually inescapable over the past year, cooled down a sizable chunk of the crowd with his lightweight beach tunes, while across the park, Mastodon was turning up the heat with its pummeling heavy metal for a clutch of curious onlookers.

But there was no sense of urgency in the air. Like last year, the stages were positioned across an eight-block area of the park, and navigating the rugged terrain could take more than 20 minutes from one end to the other.

So people kept cruising, often distracted by the mouthwatering scents emanating from the stalls of the local food vendors or big flashing displays of the corporate sponsors.

Friday night headliners Pearl Jam drew a decent crowd, but the group's set felt all too familiar, from singer Eddie Vedder's frayed flannel shirt and croaky versions of "Even Flow" and "Alive" (he was suffering from a throat ailment, he said) to the closing cover of Neil Young's "Rockin' in the Free World." Was it 1993 all over?

Dave Matthews Band seemed to fare better Saturday, keeping more people planted on their blankets as the sun dipped down, by offering a career-spanning set punctuated by the singer's increasingly erratic ramblings and a cameo by members of the Black Eyed Peas on the song "Jimi Thing" that left some fans fuming.

Fortunately, Matthews made it up to them by giving a shout out to local band the Dodos and bringing Sunday side-stage act Robert Randolph up to assist him through the encore with muggy covers of Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" and Sly and the Family Stone's "Thank You (Falletinme Be Mice Elf Again)."

It wasn't quite the festival-making moment that people will be talking about years from now - or even next week - but given the overall lack of fireworks, it was close enough.

E-mail Aidin Vaziri at avaziri@sfchronicle.com.

This article appeared on page E - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/30/DD8R19G2V5.DTL#ixzz0Pm5LlGNO

MFF0RD9
08-31-2009, 07:45 AM
does anyone have a picture of the "Check Your Headliner" Tenacious D t-shirt from Outside Lands? thanks!

shakermaker113
08-31-2009, 08:10 AM
I thought this was one of the coolest things:

YP-pVRm-H4I

luckyface
08-31-2009, 08:28 AM
Updates Black Swan??

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-31-2009, 08:29 AM
I wonder if Blackswan meet with Scooper after all?

aphrael
08-31-2009, 08:29 AM
I enjoyed this year's festival much more than last year's; bat for lashes was awesome, calexico was really good, pearl jam was a blast, nortec collective was an inspired last minute addition and portugal, the man was a happy surprise.

The heat probably helped. :)

Does anyone know if the fight really happened? And how was the message board meetup?

I could swear I saw shakur in the crowd, without his yoda backpack this time.

tubescape
08-31-2009, 08:32 AM
like sunday last year, yesterday was a day where I tried to relax and not stress on conflicts between bands. although I did walk way more than originally planned trying to do the avett bros. > dead weather > modest mouse, the rest of the time was chill (as was the weather). the biggest highlights of sunday for me were Modest Mouse and Band of Horses. I thought I was going to pass on BofH, but so glad I didn't, as it was the best set of the day for me. They even pulled off a side-stage encore. Everyone at the Sutro stage was just going nutz, probably feeling this was their last chance of the weekend to get in some good music and Band of Horses delivered by walking back out on stage and giving us one more. Saw the D for shits and giggles and while it was entertaining (just looking at Jack Black in one of his excited/spaz states makes me chuckle) the music just wasn't doing it for me. We walked off as they took an encore, made the first bus and were home in our apt. by 9:30pm.

all in all it was a great weekend. kinda wish I could've gotten into the groove for M.I.A., but wasn't feeling it. opted to sit back, watch from afar and get some of those chicken & waffle plates from Farmer Browns. of course, I waited 15 min in line and got up there to be told they were out of waffles! c'mon, really!?!?! f*ck. but in the grand scheme of things, that's not too big of deal, especially since it was the only real letdown of the festival. hahaha. guess my hunger for food outweighs my hunger for good music in certain circumstances.

hope you all had a blast. time to get to work. will be checking the youtube clips of performers I missed, but I think I did a good job in my choices.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-31-2009, 02:06 PM

>>>>

psycobetabuckdown
08-31-2009, 02:12 PM
I like how in the Chronicle article it's clear the writer didn't even go Sunday. They should hire me.

Down Rodeo
08-31-2009, 04:15 PM

Yes, they were a fucking blast. Forget all the haters on here.

seyrnon
08-31-2009, 08:12 PM
Tenacious D didn't play 100 minutes like that article said, they actually started 10 minutes late and ended 10 minutes early, so it was actually about 70 minutes long
and if you ask me Ween was the real headliner on Sunday, damn that was a fun show

feather
08-31-2009, 08:26 PM
I had a good time. though I am once again reminded that I like my festivals hot.

Give me a second while I wipe off my brow!

...did they fix sound issues compared to last year? This thread reminds me that I was seeing Radiohead a year ago in a field of SF mist.

:(

suprefan
08-31-2009, 08:31 PM

WOW

VgwBlPS6ufQ

I saw the D back in 2000... So whats the point now..

sbessiso
08-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Yes, they were a fucking blast. Forget all the haters on here.

Glad to hear it. You may not have known it but I was there in spirit. You definitely felt me

beavington
08-31-2009, 08:48 PM
Wow, all I can say is M.I.A. totally redeemed herself in my book. Love the "Bird Flu (Intergalactic/Sabotage)" mix. She was fucking awesome. Loved it loved it loved it. Sad to say I was happy to leave Ween, I wasnt feeling them much, but "Take Me Away" was a good place to leave. Conor Oberst with Jenny Lewis doing "Portion for Foxes".
Tenacious D "Check Your Headliner" t-shirt in the style of Check Yo Head.

Put Coachella money and Coachella organizers in at Golden Gate Park and it would win.

Egull
08-31-2009, 09:02 PM
Wow, all I can say is M.I.A. totally redeemed herself in my book. Love the "Bird Flu (Intergalactic/Sabotage)" mix. She was fucking awesome. Loved it loved it loved it. Sad to say I was happy to leave Ween, I wasnt feeling them much, but "Take Me Away" was a good place to leave. Conor Oberst with Jenny Lewis doing "Portion for Foxes".
Tenacious D "Check Your Headliner" t-shirt in the style of Check Yo Head.

Put Coachella money and Coachella organizers in at Golden Gate Park and it would win.

Agreed about M.I.A. Someone gave me one of those horns so that was cool too, haha I felt it was less annoying if you were the one making the sound. My only complaints about her set was that she stopped 10 minutes early, and her new song was terrible.

shakermaker113
08-31-2009, 09:19 PM
feather - yes they seemed to have fixed the sound issues. none that I noticed this year.

Conor Oberst with Jenny Lewis doing "Portion for Foxes".

aw fuck, I missed that?

Agreed about M.I.A. Someone gave me one of those horns so that was cool too, haha I felt it was less annoying if you were the one making the sound. My only complaints about her set was that she stopped 10 minutes early, and her new song was terrible.

haha I caught a horn too. I should look through my pictures from that. and ending 10 mins early was a bit cheap. I kinda dug the new song though it killed the audience. not good in a live setting.

seyrnon
08-31-2009, 09:40 PM
did anybody else catch Ween because I was having a damn blast at that set

pewter14
08-31-2009, 10:42 PM
Some pics from a few of my favorites this weekend ...

The Duke Spirit

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/jgreco_14/Duke-1.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/jgreco_14/Duke-3.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/jgreco_14/Duke-4.jpg

The National (this was my favorite set of the weekend)

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/jgreco_14/National.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/jgreco_14/National2.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/jgreco_14/National5.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/jgreco_14/NationalSetlist.jpg

Cage The Elephant

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/jgreco_14/CTE-1.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/jgreco_14/CTE-2.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/jgreco_14/CTE-3.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/jgreco_14/CTE-4.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/jgreco_14/CTE-5.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/jgreco_14/CTE-6.jpg

The Dead Weather

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/jgreco_14/TDW-1.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/jgreco_14/TDW-2.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/jgreco_14/TDW-3.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/jgreco_14/TDW-4.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/jgreco_14/TDW-5.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/jgreco_14/TDW-6.jpg

sbessiso
09-01-2009, 03:02 AM
haha I caught a horn too.

YES!!! Remember Erika at Lollapalooza? She had like a special bag for her horn and everything. Although, you don;t strike me as the type of person that would bring it with him to all events (you should!!!!!)

beavington
09-01-2009, 06:59 AM

Damn I wanted the horn. What was printed on it?

Oh the other great thing is the MIA shirt was the MIA Coachella shirt with MIA in big whitle letters with huge black block covering the Coachella part.

Ardentbiscuit
09-01-2009, 07:11 AM
Did I miss the Dead Weather webcast? Whats the link??

They have highlights on the official youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/OutsideLands

Edit...

And if this was already posted Supre, and friends...sorry!

I'm in too much of rush to do the search function.

hehehe

Young blood
09-01-2009, 07:31 AM
Some pics from a few of my favorites this weekend ...

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/jgreco_14/TDW-1.jpg

She is very beautiful without all the hair in her eyes.

mikeymikemikey
09-01-2009, 09:16 AM
my top 5 for the weekend

1. ween- first time seeing them, made me feel ignorant
2. pearl jam- quality rock music
3. avett brothers-had an excellent spot, my favorite stage, played new stuff, good vibe
4. mars volta- glad they got to play at night, blew my mind
5. black eyed peas- it was fun

i wish i would have skipped incubus and saw the national and tom jones. and also skipped modest mouse for the dead weather.

and did anybody see the dodos? they were impressive.

chiapet
09-01-2009, 09:35 AM
If it makes you feel better, the National was not that wonderful at OSL. The sound was weird and muffled except for the vocals which are a lot different than I remember Berninger sounding. For me, it kind of took away from the magic of the other time I saw them. Not to say that Incubus would have been better. :)

The Dodos, on the other hand, I liked a lot better than I thought I might. Friday had a pretty great run there with Akron/Family -> Los Campesinos! -> Dodos -> Blind Pilot -> The National all in the same field.

summerkid
09-01-2009, 10:15 AM
seeing pictures and video of the dead weather in the daylight just seems so wrong.

BlackSwan
09-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Updates Black Swan??

As far as I know, Scoop is recovering in a nearby hospital.

chiapet
09-01-2009, 12:38 PM
When not posting on other threads. ^^^ ?

BlackSwan
09-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Exactly.

aphrael
09-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Seymon - yeah, Ween was a fun set, and the crowd was really into it, which made it that much better.

Jon Blazed
09-01-2009, 01:49 PM
I wish I could've made it out this year. Great pics!

shakermaker113
09-01-2009, 05:04 PM
there's no more speculation to be made or rumors to be spread about this event, so he doesn't post in this thread any more.

chiapet
09-01-2009, 05:24 PM
I did notice he had moved on to the 2010 coachella predictions thread. :rolleyes

aphrael
09-01-2009, 08:56 PM
For those with DIME access who haven't noticed yet, someone (I don't know if they're on this message board or not) put up pearl jam, incubus, silversun pickups, and built to spill. I've listened to the pearl jam, and the recording quality was unusually good.

seyrnon
09-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Top 5 of the weekend

1. The Mars Volta, the night set was fantastic and they're just beyond face melting
2. Ween, the show was just a damned blast, tons and tons of fun and real musical skill in that band
3. Tom Jones, holy shit that was a fun show, He loved being there and the crowd was just having so much fun with it
4.The Avett Brothers, a really passionate and fun set to see with an excellent set list
5. Street Sweeper Social Club entirely because Tom Morello is my favorite guitarist and I felt really lucky to be front row center to see him play

Wish more than anything that I had skipped Modest Mouse for The Dead Weather, Modest Mouses set list was just terrible

Egull
09-01-2009, 10:14 PM
I thought Modest Mouse played well, I just wish they played longer, and The Dead Weather was later.

mikeymikemikey
09-03-2009, 09:05 AM
only complaint about outside lands..people and their fucking blankets!! if you had a blanket and you were within 50 yards of the stage..fuck you.

beavington
09-03-2009, 09:32 AM
only complaint about outside lands..people and their fucking blankets!! if you had a blanket and you were within 50 yards of the stage..fuck you.

thats why i just walked over peoples blankets. Fuck them up front trying to save a spot. dont think so baby.

BlackSwan
09-03-2009, 09:48 AM
The chairs were annoying too.

aphrael
09-03-2009, 10:27 AM
The trouble I have with the blankets is that I feel like I need to avoid stepping on them, out of politeness. Which means that when I'm trying to get up front, I can get stuck behind groups of people on blankets.

tubescape
09-03-2009, 10:37 AM
after attending a variety of events in GG Park where blankets are everywhere, I've decided that unless there is either a toddler crawling around on it or food spread out while someone is preparing a meal that I will just step where needed to move forward. Two people sitting (or even worse, standing) on a 6' x 6' blanket takes up way too much space. Either move back and realize that it's more crowded at 3pm than it was at 11:30am when you arrived or deal with people walking over it. I walked over plenty during Outside Lands this past weekend and nobody ever said a word or gave stink-eye.

just wait until Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. f*ck, the blankets are out of control. people try taping their sh*t down, bringing 15' x 15' tarps and not showing up until late in the day, etc. and most of the people are super pissy if you even touch their spot. and people put their blankets right up against the stage. it's a mess.

scoop49er
09-03-2009, 12:50 PM
im right here Cuntswan!

ur such a douche and a puss and i had other things to do so not gonna spend money and burn it on fucking you up... im done with u so enjoy ur puss ass lame theories.. u and me both know the truth..

you really want some of this then u pm me and u and me handle it personally if not,then play the pussy and move on.... im done with u...

anyways OSL was cool. its a city festival so it just doesnt have that feel like bonnaroo and coachella have.. SSSC were awesome and there were alot of cool moments.. nice to see the heineken tent again...

hope u all had fun... off to the next festival.. keep following u fucking followers!!! :)------------------------------

BlackSwan
09-03-2009, 12:58 PM
im right here Cuntswan!

ur such a douche and a puss and i had other things to do so not gonna spend money and burn it on fucking you up... im done with u so enjoy ur puss ass lame theories.. u and me both know the truth..

you really want some of this then u pm me and u and me handle it personally if not,then play the pussy and move on.... im done with u...

We both do know the truth, but it sounds like you are in denial.

scoop49er
09-03-2009, 01:00 PM
sure.... yep total denial........... totally........

mikeymikemikey
09-03-2009, 01:16 PM
anybody see the milf around the panhandle stage drinking beers and breastfeeding her kid? that kid knows how to party.

aphrael
09-03-2009, 01:18 PM
just wait until Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. f*ck, the blankets are out of control. people try taping their sh*t down, bringing 15' x 15' tarps and not showing up until late in the day, etc. and most of the people are super pissy if you even touch their spot. and people put their blankets right up against the stage. it's a mess.

I noticed that at Gogol Bordello last year, when a bunch of us were trying to form a pit and the people with blankets were getting pissed at us.

At the time I chalked it up to a culture clash: maybe for bluegrass events, the way they were behaving was normal, and I was the asshole.

aphrael
09-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Mikey, no, but I did see an old hippie standing on JFK a bit to the west of the box office get himself arrested around 7.15pm Sunday night when the police noticed that he had a sign offering to sell people "ganja cookies".

mikeymikemikey
09-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Mikey, no, but I did see an old hippie standing on JFK a bit to the west of the box office get himself arrested around 7.15pm Sunday night when the police noticed that he had a sign offering to sell people "ganja cookies".

you can do that, you just have to pay taxes

shakermaker113
09-03-2009, 01:51 PM
I think the whole blanket/camping chair/etc mentality is just something that comes with shows in golden gate park. all the concerts there are very laid back, where people basically go and picnic and spend the day in one spot because there happens to be cool music and lots of people around. the fact that this one is a ticketed event doesn't seem to change that mentality.

roboticwaltz
09-03-2009, 02:16 PM

Haha I bought two of those ganja cookies as I walked into the fest that day.

aphrael
09-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Haha I bought two of those ganja cookies as I walked into the fest that day.

See, that makes much more sense. Selling to people <em>leaving</em> the festival just struck me as being crazy.

chiapet
09-03-2009, 06:00 PM
I walk over blankets all the time at shows here, but I try to step to the outside edges so that I don't accidentally step on or kick anyone. FWIW I almost always bring blankets to outdoor shows in this area, between rain, dew and fog, the ground is frequently damp, and you get cold a lot quicker sitting directly on the ground.

Something I will never understand though, are the people who, when faced with a group of people on blankets, that are otherwise surrounded by plenty of open space they could pass through, feel like they must trample over people who are sitting down.

beavington
09-03-2009, 08:07 PM

i mightve bought those cookies, i bought some cookies and was given a brownie, i think right before Ween. The cookies sucked but i dont remember much of sunday. But what I do remember was MIA doing Bird Flu/Sabotage and i was wondering if anyone had video of it? my audio recording has too much bass, fucking ip hones.

mikeymikemikey
09-04-2009, 07:37 AM
has anyone found the youtube webcast of full sets?

rage patton
09-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Sounds like Tenacious D was awesome. Glad to hear it. Fuck the haters.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-07-2009, 05:20 PM
:nono

rage patton
09-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Marco, did you read the mini review I wrote about Tenacious D when I saw them in 07? You really should.

sbessiso
09-08-2009, 01:57 AM
Don't bother, he's a fucking hater