PDA

View Full Version : Fucking Democracy

Tylerdurden31
02-07-2007, 07:43 PM
I have jury duty tomorrow and as of right now, I'm completely unexcited.

mountmccabe
02-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Last time I had jury duty it was pretty stellar. I didn't have to go to work and after the orientation video I just read.

Then I was picked for a group of 12 and we listened to some people. One of them was accused of being a sex worker and the other people were cops that realized this. It was only about 45 minutes then we were all dismissed and I got back to my reading.

And then we had lunch and I met a friend that worked downtown and we got calzones and then went somewhere else for beers.

And then I read some more. And they let us go home around 2:30 pm.

And they paid me near $9 for mileage!

CuervoPH
02-07-2007, 07:56 PM
I hate it when I'm accused of being a sex worker. It's not like I charge my hand or anything...

devachan
02-07-2007, 07:57 PM
I had Jury Duty about a year and a half ago. It lasted three weeks. The man that was being tried was a sex offender and we were there to decide if he was too dangerous to be released based on his prior offenses and his behaivor on the inside. We decided to keep him incarcerated. It was a nightmare case.

Mr.Nipples
02-07-2007, 08:02 PM
i will never waste my time doing jury duty. i pay taxes and thats enough.

CuervoPH
02-07-2007, 08:03 PM
That sounds nightmarish. I dated someone who was sexually abused as a child and I only know part of what she went through. I don't know that I could render an unbiased judgment in a case like that. I'd be the one asking, "What's the most horrific eye for an eye punishment we're allowed to give?"...

devachan
02-07-2007, 08:11 PM
It was. A victim came in and spoke to us regarding the repeated rapes and it was horrific. He was a real monster. It was emotionally draining on a daily basis and I was just a juror.

wmgaretjax
02-07-2007, 08:16 PM
i will never waste my time doing jury duty. i pay taxes and thats enough.

I would refuse jury duty as well, but perhaps for different reasons.

PotVsKtl
02-07-2007, 08:16 PM
I got called to jury duty months ago and it turned out to be for a police officer that had shot a fleeing suspect in the back and killed him. I told them I thought cops got off too easy because of Rodney King. They didn't select me.

Mr.Nipples
02-07-2007, 08:26 PM
I got called to jury duty months ago and it turned out to be for a police officer that had shot a fleeing suspect in the back and killed him. I told them I thought cops got off too easy because of Rodney King. They didn't select me.

this is america after all

bballarl
02-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Pot's quote is now my sig. Genius.

bmack86
02-07-2007, 10:24 PM
I've never served jury duty because I'm registered to vote in one county, have a mailing address in another and live in a third. It really confuses the government, and the only time they called me was for a fourth county, which is far away from any of the three counties i'm connected to.

Courtney
02-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Since I've moved to Los Angeles, I've gotten 3 notices but they've never actually had me come in. It's anticlimactic.

jackstraw94086
02-07-2007, 10:31 PM
I hope all you people who shirk jury duty get (rightly) accused of horse fucking and must sit in front of the angry and bitter old old people that sit on juries in place of people like you.

bmack86
02-07-2007, 10:33 PM
It's ironic that they always screw up, because I'd really like to do jury duty. The courtroom fascinates me.

schoolofruckus
02-07-2007, 10:35 PM
I went to jury duty and sat in the waiting room all fucking day long. I got to eat lunch with Jennie, because the courthouse was near her old place of employment, but that was about the only bit of goodness that came out of it.....that is, until I found out a few weeks later that I won Flaming Lips tickets based on my entry that was about how much I hated jury duty. That's pretty much the easiest way to end my hatred of something.

psychic friend
02-07-2007, 10:45 PM
i, knock on wood, have successfully avoided jury duty to date. i pay taxes they dont need some sarcastic..... um. .. me.

Tylerdurden31
02-08-2007, 05:19 AM
they have internet in the jury lounge...teehee

vinylmartyr
02-08-2007, 05:28 AM
I don't ever have to worry about jury duty.

Tylerdurden31
02-08-2007, 06:12 AM
I don't ever have to worry about jury duty.

have you been convicted of a felony?

TomAz
02-08-2007, 06:20 AM
I've been called for jury duty several times and once actually got to serve. This guy was accused of stealing 4 tires out of a junkyard. The prosecution's lawyer was the worst lawyer I have ever seen in my life. She had to have been right out of school and probably graduationed at the bottom of her nightschool class to boot. She questioned witnesses by reading (badly) from a script she had in front of her. The trial was entertaining because while the arresting officer testified the accused shouted YOU'RE A LIAR a couple times.

At the end of the trial I had no idea if the guy was guilty or not. The cop actually did sound like he might have been lying and I thought he may have just arrested the first African-American he could find. I dunno. The first vote of the jury was 10-2 to acquit. The two guys voting guilty were two kind of hard ass white guys, the type that probably drove a pickup with a gunrack to the courtroom. The bailiff came in and asked how we were doing, we told him we were 10-2 to acquit and were talking it out. He noted that the time was 4:55 and if we couldn't finish by 5 we'd have to come back tomorrow. At that point the two guilty votes immediately changed to not guilty and we were done.

bartelby
02-08-2007, 06:43 AM
I did the duty once when I was 19. Ended up being the foreman of a murder trial of all things! Pretty shitty/sad situation but I did get a week off work and plenty of juice boxes.

mob roulette
02-08-2007, 06:43 AM
It's ironic that they always screw up, because I'd really like to do jury duty. The courtroom fascinates me.

That's the problem. I'm not sure most prosecutors and/or defense attorneys really WANT people who want to be on juries and want to do a good impartial job of it. Which is a shame because I feel the exact same way you do. I think that they likely try to select a jury that might look favorably on whatever argument they're trying to present and not necessarily a jury of one's "peers".

schoolofruckus
02-08-2007, 07:53 AM
I did the duty once when I was 19. Ended up being the foreman of a murder trial of all things! Pretty shitty/sad situation but I did get a week off work and plenty of juice boxes.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.....I can just see all these passive adults being like "I don't want to be in charge.....let's make the kid do it!"

Yeah, the internet costs $6/hour in the jury lounge. It was worth it, though. I brought shit to read and I still couldn't get anything done in there.

All That I Am
02-08-2007, 03:07 PM
I had jury duty once, and i'll never do it again!
It was for a drunk driver who crashed his car and was trapped in the car in a canal on its side. A passing motorist flagged down a tow truck who called in the cops, They had to pull the unconcious boy from the car, he was in still seatbelted in to the driver's seat and his story was that his cousin was driving and ran off. I thought this was an open and shut case, but we argued for hours one lady said the cop looked like a racist, both the cop and defendant were mexican. Another lady who was russian an barely spoken english kept saying that the police probably put him in the seat. It was frustrating, I was the only one arguing to arrest the kid, finally i just gave in and let him go, it was a hopeless case arguing against a bunch of idiots.

NoneForMeThanks
02-08-2007, 03:13 PM
I've been called many times, but only served on a jury once. I actually like jury duty. I find it really interesting and if it were ever offered as an occupation, I would do it.

I used to look for tolerable goverment jobs, so that when I was called for jury duty, I could serve on one of those cases that took months and months. The last time I was called, that was all they needed. I was so disappointed.

kroqken
06-07-2007, 04:26 PM
I have never been on a jury, but the Phil Spector trial would be tempting. I do not think a prosecutor would let me serve, I look too liberal.