PDA

View Full Version : Tell Us About 2009 Albums

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

wmgaretjax
11-25-2008, 02:03 PM
I'll start it off...

Iran's "Disolver" is a serious departure from his last two releases. It features the guitarist from TVOTR and is way more cut and dry than his previous work.

In that sense it'll make a great introduction to him for a lot of people that might be turned off by the lo-fi, trash compactor sensibility of his past releases... I can't help but be a little thrown off, although on first listen the songs are really solid... I think I'll need to let this one sink in a little more, any expectations I had made the first listen really jarring... There are a couple moments when his previous experimentation breaks through, and those moments are really powerful (this is a contrast to what almost seemed like a landscape of experimentation on previous albums)... In the same vein though, there are a couple moments that really could have done well to have been broken apart a little, because on occasion it feels a little too direct (although I think that might end up being one of my favorite things about the arc of the album when I listen more).

This changes a little bit half way through the album, and motifs come back that are a little more unpredictable and detached (the melodies flatten out a little, and feel less polished in the way that previous Iran efforts were), and then flip back again for the last two songs. There is definitely a progression to the album that one listen didn't give me enough insight into. I hear a lot of Pavement here, and that's not a surprise.

Definitely worth a listen, even if it pales in comparison to his other stuff.

kreutz2112
11-25-2008, 02:04 PM
I hope I get to talk about Massive Attacks LP5 in this thread this year.

amyzzz
11-25-2008, 02:06 PM
I hope I get to talk about Massive Attacks LP5 in this thread this year.
You and I and everybody else.

Donaldj
11-25-2008, 02:14 PM
This spot reserved for The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die

paulb
11-25-2008, 02:15 PM

at least we can review the title track tomorrow! and music video coming out on Friday....

Donaldj
11-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Yep, I can't wait!

sbessiso
11-25-2008, 05:36 PM
I hope to get that long talked about second disk for the new cure album

BlackSwan
11-25-2008, 09:46 PM
i am anxiously anticipating Fever Ray...

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/1/m_3c4a27d11e944ee49721e90c7f3f3a26.jpg

pancakespancakes
11-25-2008, 09:55 PM
I haven't picked up any future 2009 albums yet, but I can already say that this is the earliest point I've ever been (13 months early to be exact) in which I already have my album of the year picked out.

And that is "Merriweather Post Pavillion" by Animal Collective for 2009.

Why? Ohhh I can just feel it.

kitt kat
11-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Well, dude, I've actually HEARD it, so I can actually back up your claim.

Album of the DECADE? Maybe. We'll see.

real talk
11-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Ridiculous.

wmgaretjax
11-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Stop talking about albums that you haven't listened to. You all shut the fuck up and come back when you have something to contribute about an album you've heard.

SoulDischarge
11-26-2008, 07:56 AM
Ridiculous.

Seconded.

faxman75
11-26-2008, 07:58 AM
How many people do you think are actually privy to 2009 albums already? You might as well lock this thread for industry types only. What a dumb thread to start so early. At least wait until January if you are gonna bitch about peoples anticipations at this point.

Sometimes people just set themselves up for failure.

kreutz2112
11-26-2008, 07:59 AM
jared, just dont even respond to the above. unless you want the first two or three pages of this thread to be bitching with faxman.

wmgaretjax
11-26-2008, 08:01 AM
tee hee... I must be an "industry type."

edit: sorry buddy. that's all I have to say.

bmack86
11-26-2008, 08:05 AM
I listened to most of the Iran album. I hope it's a grower, because some songs floored me but I mostly was left underwhelmed.

faxman75
11-26-2008, 08:05 AM
If it's all based on leaks how many 2009 albums have leaked already? I know i'm severely retarded to be thinking not many 2009 albums are avialable to listen to at this point. How many leaks can you possibly have at this point?

faxman75
11-26-2008, 08:06 AM
jared, just dont even respond to the above.

He couldn't help himself.

wmgaretjax
11-26-2008, 08:07 AM
If it's all based on leaks how many 2009 albums have leaked already? I know i'm severely retarded to be thinking not many 2009 albums are avialable to listen to at this point. How many leaks can you possibly have at this point?

I count 6 or so that I actually cared about enough to download... Probably 3 or 4 times that around and easily accessible...

bmack86
11-26-2008, 08:07 AM

They're starting to come, and we'd like to have a place to discuss them when they do. We had our Tell Us about 2008 Albums thread and it served us well, so why not keep the tradition alive?

Like I said in the first few pages of that thread, repeatedly, this is supposed to be a place where you discuss new albums once you've heard them. Speculation about how great stuff could be can go somewhere else. This is to clue people in to new music that's coming out.

wmgaretjax
11-26-2008, 08:08 AM
I listened to most of the Iran album. I hope it's a grower, because some songs floored me but I mostly was left underwhelmed.

Yeah, that was my first impression... There are a couple incredible tracks... I hope the rest settles in nicely. I'm holding out hope simply because of how incredible his last two were.

bmack86
11-26-2008, 08:10 AM
Exactly. The Kyp Malone-led track is a surprise, and I was shocked at how straightforward it is. There's very little fuzz.

faxman75
11-26-2008, 08:11 AM
I never would have guessed there would be 20 or so albums accessible this early. How is the new Korn? Just kidding. I'll leave you to it. Not trying to destroy your thread.

faxman75
11-26-2008, 08:13 AM
They're starting to come, and we'd like to have a place to discuss them when they do. We had our Tell Us about 2008 Albums thread and it served us well, so why not keep the tradition alive?

Like I said in the first few pages of that thread, repeatedly, this is supposed to be a place where you discuss new albums once you've heard them. Speculation about how great stuff could be can go somewhere else. This is to clue people in to new music that's coming out.

Understood, and that thread was great. I agree with less clutter, I just wouldn't have guessed there would be so many leaks already. I assumed incorrectly you would have to work in the industry in some way to be privy to a large number of releases in november.

Anyway, i'll go back to reading in this thread instead of posting until I hear a 2009 release.

wmgaretjax
11-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Exactly. The Kyp Malone-led track is a surprise, and I was shocked at how straightforward it is. There's very little fuzz.

Yeah, I was really confused a couple tracks in... I still am.

shotglass75
11-26-2008, 08:15 AM
at least we can review the title track tomorrow! and music video coming out on Friday....

come again? baking powder? where and how and why was I not told?

wmgaretjax
11-26-2008, 08:35 AM
So a new Paw Tracks album by Dent May is coming out called "The Good Feeling Music of Dent May and His Magnificent Ukulele."

It's a really straight forward album... His voice is really interesting, and some of the harmonies are awesome... In the end the instrumentation is fairly uninteresting and the songwriting is fairly uneventful. At the end of the day it just didn't stand out to me, which is really fucking weird for a Paw Tracks release... Because generally even if an album on the label isn't really that good, there is something really unique and interesting about what they put out. With that said, the album does have some really pleasant tracks...

betao
11-26-2008, 09:23 AM

I opened this thread witht he intention of being the first to mention this album.

So much for that.

betao
11-26-2008, 09:24 AM
come again? baking powder? where and how and why was I not told?

Go to www.theprodigy.com to listen. I don't know if its up yet/when it will be up.

shotglass75
11-26-2008, 10:52 AM
iT'S UP NOW BITCHES

kitt kat
11-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Here's to hoping Domino stops being a bunch of twats, caves, stops sending the Web Sheriff on our asses, and streams MPP.

thestripe
11-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Web Sheriff is such a dick. What is our internet coming to, when we have a sheriff's telling us to check our guns at the door. I got something for old Web Sheriff.

Donaldj
11-26-2008, 12:01 PM
The new Prodigy track is catchy but not amazing. It's pretty much obvious it's an opening track to their album. It reminds me of Justice in that they compress everything into the mid range to make it sound like a live rock band. Some of the vocal samples are a bit corny but I'll excuse those. I'm interested to hear more...

I REALLY like the other two tracks I have heard though from the new album

World's on Fire and Warrior's Dance. They sound like old school rave tracks from 1992 with modern production. World's On Fire samples L7 too..hehe

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h4idn3tVpec&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h4idn3tVpec&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xX6PV7AHnbc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xX6PV7AHnbc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

pancakespancakes
11-26-2008, 12:06 PM
If those "rediculous" comments were directed towards my statement about Animal Collective, ummm, sorry for messing with your thread, but I wasn't actually being serious... I do regret posting that here... but no, I'm not that insane, I was just saying that I really really look forward to this studio album based on all of its amazing live performances, which is sort of unusual. That's all.

betao
11-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Warrior's Dance is the best new Prodigy tune.

IMD is interesting. Alot of electro influence, not too sure if I like it all that much yet. It will probably grow on me.

send me ctrpllrs
11-26-2008, 03:26 PM
So a new Paw Tracks album by Dent May is coming out called "The Good Feeling Music of Dent May and His Magnificent Ukulele."

It's a really straight forward album... His voice is really interesting, and some of the harmonies are awesome... In the end the instrumentation is fairly uninteresting and the songwriting is fairly uneventful. At the end of the day it just didn't stand out to me, which is really fucking weird for a Paw Tracks release... Because generally even if an album on the label isn't really that good, there is something really unique and interesting about what they put out. With that said, the album does have some really pleasant tracks...

I've given it two listens now. I like it so far. The title pretty much tells it all, good feeling music. Will probably get quite a few plays from me.

real talk
12-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Telepathe - Dance Mother, I'm halfway through the first listen and I already want to say something about how good this is. It's layered and interesting and poppy and synthy and wonderful. I feel like I can hear the Dave Sitek influence.

kreutz2112
12-22-2008, 12:08 PM
It's layered and interesting and poppy and synthy...

sold. I'm d/l it when I get home.

wmgaretjax
12-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna check it out now. Sounds fun. The Sitek nod is exciting too.

bmack86
12-24-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm on the last song of the new Antony and the Johnsons album, and all I can say is wow. I wasn't a huge fan of I Am A Bird Now but this one is just rich, assured and focused. He really knocks it out of the park with almost every track. I think the reason I enjoy it more is that it sounds more natural and less overtly theatrical. He sounds like he's singing as himself and less as a character, and it turns out great. The song Aeon is amazing.

wmgaretjax
12-24-2008, 11:28 AM
I loved I Am A Bird Now, but I agree about the evolution in regards to this album. It's insanely good.

Blinken
12-24-2008, 11:42 AM
2009 they year we finally get DETOX. Plus I am psyched for some Relapse as well.

bmack86
12-25-2008, 10:52 PM
As you all know by now, we have the new Animal Collective on our hands as of this evening. I've just finished my first listen, and I'm very impressed. They keep a very similar tone throughout this album, which makes it work very much as a piece, but also made songs blend into eachother a bit too much in the middle section. I'm sure with repeated listens, this will become less of a problem, but the middle seemed a bit indistinguishable. Still, there are some really great songs on here, and the final 3 are just absolute monsters (Lion in a Coma, Keep on Runnin and Brothersport). The songwriting is more streamlined and "pop" than anything they've done before, but the sound is somewhat alien with all the shimmering keyboards and delays.

This one's an album that I'm excited to spend some quality time with in the future. It's living up to the pre-release hype.

pancakespancakes
12-25-2008, 11:06 PM
I'm glad I am finally here posting about this beauty. We've been waiting for her for as long as I can ever remember waiting for an album this way (I'm a young'un, but still.) She really is the beauty that I dreamed of for so long. And yet, there is a lot more here that I could not have expected. It's time for bed and my poor overfilled stomach is about to destroy me so I'll go into detail another day.

This one's an album that I'm excited to spend some quality time with in the future. It's living up to the pre-release hype.

I could not have said it better. Listening to an album in which you know you'll be spending a great deal of time with in the future for the first time is a rare feeling, and a pretty special one. I'm not one to say if it lived up to it's hype, I'm personally pretty ignorant to hype. But I'd sure like to hope so.

wmgaretjax
12-26-2008, 06:50 AM
I've talked about most of these songs a lot already, and I'm gonna refrain from really talking about the production until a decent quality rip appears. It's a great album, but not their best. I need to listen to it a few more times.

Boourns
12-26-2008, 07:04 AM
The new the bird and the bee and animal collective are good, but the 2009 album that will be the one to beat is asobi seksu - hush

Any word on the new grizzly bear?

bmack86
12-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Last I heard they were finishing it up and preparing for a release sometime around March, but that was awhile ago and I haven't really heard an update in a month or two.

thestripe
01-06-2009, 11:40 AM
I recommend the new Antony and the Johnsons "The Crying Light" to all. This is my first introduction to his material so I can't give you a history or sound progression, but I can tell you that it is beautiful. His voice is astounding and the piano and string arrangements are fantastic. Not to sound too lame, but the album has a real emotional feel to it, that shares both low's and highs. Such a great album. I hope he plays Coachella.

EDIT: Shit. I just saw that this had already been discussed. Oh well, I'll just add a bit.

TommyboyUNM
01-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Stripe I just quickly scrolled through the first page, so thanks for bringing up that album again. I'm going to seriously pay attention to this thread throughout the year.

zenidogx
01-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Andrew Bird's Noble Beast is a great album. it has everything an Andrew Bird album usually has. it sounds like a blend between Weather Systems and Armchair Apocrypha. the electric guitar isn't there as often as Armchair, but it still shows up at appropriate times. and Useless Creatures is a great instrumental album too. songs to look out for: "Oh No", "Fitz and Dizzyspells", "Not a Robot, But a Ghost", and "Tenuousness". actually, the whole thing is great.

and the Bird and the Bee's Ray Guns Are Not Just the Future is great. sounds just like the Bird and the Bee's other stuff, but that's not a bad thing. "Birthday" is my favorite song off that album so far. i'm waiting for them to gain a bigger following. they are very fun.

real talk
01-06-2009, 01:10 PM
My only complaint about the Andrew Bird is that it's too long.

I don't know if I love the new Antony as much as I Am a Bird Now because that one was an earthquake in my soul but I do find it remarkably beautiful and I'm looking forward to seeing some of the material live.

zenidogx
01-06-2009, 02:41 PM
My only complaint about the Andrew Bird is that it's too short.

um . . . fixed.

real talk
01-06-2009, 03:26 PM
You went back in time and snuck into Andrew Bird's studio and had him write a shorter album?

Also I was talking about Noble Beast not Useless Creatures. I haven't listened to Useless Creatures. But I do sing its title to the theme song from "Ruthless People" when I read it.

erikua
01-08-2009, 09:19 AM
No preview of it yet, but 2009 will bring us another Depeche Mode album! GET READY!

slurpee
01-08-2009, 09:26 AM
2009 should see the new LCD Soundsystem album.

I have a feeling it will be one of the more popular items of the year.

catsandhats
01-09-2009, 11:31 PM
2009 for anticon.

bike for three! (buck 65 side project) is releasing an album
WHY? is releasing the alopecia sequel (ive already seen him perform off it twice :cool:)
themselves are releasing two albums (one studio on free digital thing)
fuck what else i think a new 13&god is coming out but dont quote me on that! :D
i think the new sole and the skyrider band comes out too
also as for affiliates astronautalis has an album with p.o.s. coming out
and BOYFRIENDS INC (astronautalis + bleubird) might do something too :D
oh oh bleubird will probably release something
and filkoe176 has something coming out on knertz :D
but uh lets see anticon...
fuck gtg

bmack86
01-12-2009, 10:39 AM
the Fever Ray album is pretty damn good. Definitely similar in sound to the recent Knife album, both in music and vocal approach. It deserves repeated listens to really delve into the sound of it, but I quite enjoyed the first listen, and I'll give it more.

R41N570RM
01-12-2009, 10:46 AM
I and many other people egarly await Daft Punk's new release, should they follow their 4-years-apart album releasing pattern.

That and MSTRKFRT's second album.

thestripe
01-12-2009, 10:49 AM
It sounds very similar to the Knife don't it? I mean thats not really surprising, or a bad thing.

Boourns
01-12-2009, 11:15 AM
So far so good:
Asobi Seksu
Animal Collective
The Bird & the Bee

Downloading:
Fever Ray

Seeking:
Franz Ferdinand (links get deleted hella fast)

bmack86
01-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Frank, where did you find the Asobi Seksu?

wmgaretjax
01-12-2009, 11:39 AM
It's on What...

thestripe
01-12-2009, 11:42 AM
I listened to the majority of the new Franz Ferdinand today, and didn't care for it. Now, I'm just going to say that I'm not a big Franz Ferdinand, so my opinion might be bias. But I do think that some of their past songs have been fun, and hard to resist. So when I listened to the album today, I was expecting a tune or two that would catch my attention. Never came.

hawkingvsreeve
01-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Currently listening to the new Telefon Tel Aviv. It is much more mellow in terms of all the things going on at once, and some of the drum samples (specifically snares) here sound very 80s inspired. Vocals are more of a back ground feature. The music is the front of most of these mixes.

The closest thing I can compare it to is a really ADD Cut Copy who just got their first synth. It's got some cool stuff.

brando4n82
01-12-2009, 11:48 AM
You and I and everybody else.

seriously

Boourns
01-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Okay, I will sacrifice some ratio to get a better quality rip of Hush. What kind of fucktard rips their mp3's as 128 kbps m4a's anyway?

wmgaretjax
01-12-2009, 12:06 PM
The 256 kb rip seems to cut off on one track a little early... But maybe that's the way it should be. I'm holding off for a v0 or 320.

bmack86
01-12-2009, 12:07 PM
It's on What...

Yeah, it popped up in the interim between me first asking that in another thread and me asking again in this one.

bmack86
01-12-2009, 12:07 PM
I listened to the majority of the new Franz Ferdinand today, and didn't care for it. Now, I'm just going to say that I'm not a big Franz Ferdinand, so my opinion might be bias. But I do think that some of their past songs have been fun, and hard to resist. So when I listened to the album today, I was expecting a tune or two that would catch my attention. Never came.

That's what I'm hearing from everyone else, but I thought it was a great listen. i really enjoyed it first time through.

wmgaretjax
01-12-2009, 12:18 PM
That's what I'm hearing from everyone else, but I thought it was a great listen. i really enjoyed it first time through.

I didn't even make it half way through. I'll give it another shot when I'm in the mood, but it really wasn't doing anything for me.

kreutz2112
01-12-2009, 12:52 PM
They've never done anything for me. I saw em a few years ago and was underwhelmed. I was at the show to see pretty girls make graves though so...yeah.

PassiveTheory
01-12-2009, 12:55 PM
So the verdict on the new Telefon Tel Aviv so far is 1 for and 1 against... I could use a tie-breaking opinion (not from Brandon or Jared).

hawkingvsreeve
01-12-2009, 01:04 PM
It's worth listening to, it's just not something that I would hook up to show off my stereo, like I do with Fahrenheit Fair Enough. I would think that you would like it.

hawkingvsreeve
01-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Also, I really dig the Fever Ray record.

PassiveTheory
01-12-2009, 01:07 PM
The reason why I'm bringing this up is that, while FFE was a good record, A Map of What's Effortless was abysmal. I'm still trying to catch up on some 2008 releases I missed (i.e. Fennesz, Magnetic Fields, Beach House) and I'm looking to see if this is worthwhile to download.

BlackSwan
01-12-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm conflicted on Fever Ray. There are pieces of it I really like and I dig "When I Grow Up", but a lot of it seems like a rehashing of the more mellow Knife tracks without anything new or interesting added. There is also a major lack of anything upbeat or catchy, not necessarily a bad thing, but anyone hoping to hear another Heartbeats will be disappointed.

hawkingvsreeve
01-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Well Silent Shout didn't have anything that was like Heartbeats. I like that it's a bit more mellow. I think all of these tracks are better than the mellow Knife tracks.

hawkingvsreeve
01-12-2009, 01:14 PM
The reason why I'm bringing this up is that, while FFE was a good record, A Map of What's Effortless was abysmal. I'm still trying to catch up on some 2008 releases I missed (i.e. Fennesz, Magnetic Fields, Beach House) and I'm looking to see if this is worthwhile to download.

Is it really that much trouble? You aren't paying for anything.

PassiveTheory
01-12-2009, 01:16 PM
It's more of a time thing. My time is precious, and I like to spend it well.

But seriously, when it comes to albums I actually do like to sit down and listen to it a few times in repeat in order to develop an informed opinion of it. Sometimes I just run out of time and forget to listen to things I set aside (i.e. Nick Cave, Spiritualized, REM, etc. from last year). It happens, y'know?

hawkingvsreeve
01-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Then stop listening to Narrow Stairs.

oh burn so hard

BlackSwan
01-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Well Silent Shout didn't have anything that was like Heartbeats.

I didn't say it did... I also didn't imply it did, but ok.

PassiveTheory
01-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Then stop listening to Narrow Stairs.

oh burn so hard

It's been collecting dust while I've been spinning Microcastle and the aforementioned 2008 late arrivals.

hawkingvsreeve
01-12-2009, 01:54 PM
I didn't say it did... I also didn't imply it did, but ok.

I wasn't insinuating that you were insinuating. I was making a (poorly explained) point that given the sonic progression from Deep Cuts to Silent Shout, I would imagine people would hear the Fever Ray album and go: "Yeah, that makes sense. Knife-like but different."

roberto73
01-12-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm enjoying Aidan Moffat & The Best Of's – How to Get to Heaven from Scotland. It's no Arab Strap, but it's a credible follow-up.

bballarl
01-12-2009, 05:14 PM
I'm enjoying Aidan Moffat & The Best Of's – How to Get to Heaven from Scotland. It's no Arab Strap, but it's a credible follow-up.

I will have to check that out.

BlackSwan
01-13-2009, 09:09 AM
I wasn't insinuating that you were insinuating. I was making a (poorly explained) point that given the sonic progression from Deep Cuts to Silent Shout, I would imagine people would hear the Fever Ray album and go: "Yeah, that makes sense. Knife-like but different."

Ah, that kinda makes sense. On the first listen I still didn't hear anything with a bright, more upbeat groove on Fever Ray. Silent Shout at least had Like A Pen and We Share Our Mother's Heath. I guess that's what I was waiting for was something that moved me at least a little bit.

Update: I listened to the album on headphones this morning and it made a big difference. I now love the it and found those grooves I was looking for.

real talk
01-13-2009, 09:11 AM
I think John Frusciante is feeling disconnected and depressed.

I like Dark Light because he gets that falsetto going and it's a little gospel-y.

Could/will probably skip listening to that nine minute guitar track 1 on future listens.

wmgaretjax
01-13-2009, 09:16 AM
I kind of want to listen to the new Frusciante... But kind of don't want to. Hmmmm...

real talk
01-13-2009, 09:18 AM
What to do, what to do.

hawkingvsreeve
01-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Ah, that kinda makes sense. On the first listen I still didn't hear anything with a bright, more upbeat groove on Fever Ray. Silent Shout at least had Like A Pen and We Share Our Mother's Heath. I guess that's what I was waiting for was something that moved me at least a little bit.

Update: I listened to the album on headphones this morning and it made a big difference. I now love the it and found those grooves I was looking for.

Yeah I hooked it up to my stereo at home and it sounded rad. I've been listening to it pretty much non stop since yesterday.

bleep
01-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Matt & Kim - Grand
more mature sounding; the hyper qualities and sickening gleefulness of their debut is thankfully toned down here. bottomline is that the album is short, sweet and surprisingly good. definitely worthy of repeated listens. "Daylight" is one of those tracks that has a strong likelihood of ending up on a year's end best singles list.

Barbara, the ninja
01-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Andrew Bird's Noble Beast is a great album. it has everything an Andrew Bird album usually has. it sounds like a blend between Weather Systems and Armchair Apocrypha. the electric guitar isn't there as often as Armchair, but it still shows up at appropriate times. and Useless Creatures is a great instrumental album too. songs to look out for: "Oh No", "Fitz and Dizzyspells", "Not a Robot, But a Ghost", and "Tenuousness". actually, the whole thing is great.

I agree! Noble Beast is such a beautiful album. He has such a gorgeous and rich voice. I can't wait to see him next month.

MeowMixer
01-14-2009, 06:17 PM
The Whip's X Marks Destination it the best album I have heard in 2008. Possibly in the last 3 years or so. I stand behind this album 100%. So this is the wrong thread. But the hell with finding the right one. The Whip is gonna become huge, and it might as well be a 2009 album.

paulb
01-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Beasties new cd info....

Believe it or not, what looks likely to be called 'Tadlock's Glasses' will be Beastie Boys' eight studio album. Recorded in their own New York studio and using samples plucked from shops the world over, it sees them ditch politics and going back to their party-starting roots. Expect steel drums, a collaboration with Santogold and a huge world tour in 2009. Release date: Expected late Spring 2009.

miscorrections
01-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Das Pop - Das Pop is a fun album from some Belgians and a New Zealander. It is not particularly substantial, but it is catchy and upbeat and about what you would expect from a band with pop in the name. I support bopping around to happy tunes.

PassiveTheory
01-18-2009, 12:14 AM
There's a wonderful remix of Das Pop's Fool For Love by the parisian dance producer Yuksek. But I'm sure the source material is also good.

thestripe
01-18-2009, 08:00 AM
I know I'm doing it wrong, but this get's me excited.

Spin.com
Sonic Youth, who ended their 18-year partnership with Geffen Records last year to join New York indie label Matador, seem to be taking advantage of their new label's notoriously hands-off attitude: "[It has] heavy ass weirdo hooks," guitarist/vocalist Thurston Moore told Billboard.com of the group's yet-to-be titled 16th album, expected to drop this summer.

The record, Moore explained, is heavily influenced by Portland, OR, punk rockers the Wipers, a band also championed by Nirvana's Kurt Cobain (Nirvana even covered the Wipers' song "D7"). "When I started writing, I was immersed in listening to the Wipers," Moore told Billboard. "'No Way,' the first song we recorded, has a total Wipers vibe, if the Wipers were a No Wave band."

"It's rock-centric, but still experimental," he added.

Moore also said his lyrics were inspired by black metal bands, though he didn't specify which, and said the record will also include songs such as "Leaky Life Boat" and "Burning Shame," a tribute to Fred "Sonic" Smith, the former guitarist for Detroit punk pioneers MC5 who died in 1994.

"We're super inspired to make a fresh start. We're glad to be dealing with a label that loves songs," Moore said of Matador. However, the rocker confirmed "we're still Sonic Youth -- I still don't know how to play the guitar."

bmack86
01-18-2009, 11:31 AM
PIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

GOddamn that is exciting to read. Wipers are awesome, SY are awesome, Thurston is badass. I can't wait.

wmgaretjax
01-19-2009, 07:25 PM
The Blackout Beach album Skin of Evil is a fucking spiraling mess of an awesome album. I mean that in the best way possible. But like everything Carey Mercer (Frog Eyes, Swan Lake) does, it's an gorgeous, exhausting train wreck.

A lot of people don't don't like Frog Eyes at all, I can appreciate this because they are certainly a tough nut to crack. Blackout Beach should be a great opportunity for anyone to get into his work. While just as crowded and intensely literate as Frog Eyes, it lacks the 110% frantic quality of that body of work. It's a little more sparse and he gives the listener way more leverage to crawl into the work. That said, it's still really fucking dark and brutal. The lyrics don't exist within a single song, motifs and themes pop up back and forth... But like Frog Eyes work, it's doesn't really work like a concept album in the traditional sense... I think "The Whistle" is one of the most sinister songs I've ever heard.

Carey said this about the album:
"I wrote this record because I desired to make something that stays on task. I picked an easy task: desire, longing, flight, the sorrow of absence...the DNA of most good songs. The heart of the record is simple to describe: beautiful Donna and the men she has left. Eight past lovers, some bitter, some crushed, all in some state of duress, all still in love. Each dude gets his song. Donna gets her song. William, her boyfriend, gets his song."

Young blood
01-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Im d/l'd cadence weapon's separation anxiety right now, will report later. Anyone else listened to it? thoughts?

BlackSwan
01-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Das Pop - Das Pop is a fun album from some Belgians and a New Zealander. It is not particularly substantial, but it is catchy and upbeat and about what you would expect from a band with pop in the name. I support bopping around to happy tunes.

Do you already have it? I heard it comes out in April (and that they will be at Coachella).

wmgaretjax
01-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Yeah, it leaked about 2 weeks ago.

bug on your lip
01-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Currently listening to the new Telefon Tel Aviv.

The closest thing I can compare it to is a really ADD Cut Copy who just got their first synth. It's got some cool stuff.

this actually gave me a boner thinking aboot it... gonna d/l it

bug on your lip
01-27-2009, 08:16 PM
jeezus

just read that 1 of the Telefon Tel Aviv guy's died

bleep
01-27-2009, 08:17 PM
jeezus

just read that 1 of the Telefon Tel Aviv guy's died
yes, but does anyone know the cause of death? he was very young.

BlackSwan
01-27-2009, 09:05 PM
the album they just released was called immolate yourself... conspiracy? i think so.

bug on your lip
01-28-2009, 10:34 AM
the new Animal Collective sounds like the Beach Boys singing on the High Places album

BlackSwan
01-28-2009, 02:44 PM
The debut from N.A.S.A. is a lot of fun. After the kinda corny intro, a funky beat starts up that Charli 2na lays a good flow over. Right after that David Byrne starts singing in his signature style and everything just clicks. Karen O makes the track she is on great, overall lots of fun is to be had with this one.

Young blood
02-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Reef the lost cauze ~ a vicious cycle. Sounds like the same ol' bullshit, I dig, beats are on point.

MeowMixer
02-10-2009, 10:52 PM
New Josh Wink.

It's pretty chill. Kind of repetitive, based mostly in the beats, reminiscent of early to mid nineties techno. But It's upbeat.

When a banana was just a banana- Josh Wink

rage patton
02-10-2009, 11:51 PM
The Lonely Island album is excellent. The humour is so low brow that it is genius. Stand out tracks are I'm On A Boat and Boombox. Musically, I'm On A Boat is perfect. If any song on the CD (minus the lyrics) was to actually be a major hit on the radio, this would be it. T.I.'s vocals really add to the song too. The song really won me over with the line "Im on a dolphin. Doin' flips n' shit." Boombox caught me off guard with the rediculous lyrical content. I don't know what it is about it, but it grabbed me. Julian Casablancas on vocals was a nice touch. The low point on the album is We Like Sportz. Meh. Also, Punch You In the Jeans has some funny bits, but overall falls flat. The music also sounds like it was stolen from a Jurrasic 5 track. The song Incredibad is also just plain weird. Of course, all their SNL songs are on there. The Natalie Portman rap uncensored is awesome.

Anyways, I was expecting to get a few cheap laughs out of this... but I got a whole lot more. I suggest checking it out ASAP.

hawkingvsreeve
02-13-2009, 08:43 AM
New MSTRKRFT sucks.

Not really a surprise considering the singles they released a while ago (Bounce and Vuvuvu). While The Looks was fun and had good hooks and riffs (although a few too many hand claps) Fist of God seems like it is really trying to target a specific club niche and just falls very flat. All the guest vocalists are pretty weak, and I think I enjoyed maybe one song, and even that was a stretch. After hearing the album I don't really want to watch them at Coachella, being that I have seen them and wasn't impressed. With this collection of bombs it doesn't matter how good of DJs they are (they aren't), as the substance would really detract from the show.

BlackSwan
02-13-2009, 08:56 AM
New MSTRKRFT sucks.

Agreed.

Boourns
02-13-2009, 09:51 AM
So far in 2009 I've heard:
Animal Collective
Asobi Seksu
Bat for Lashes
The Bird and the Bee
Emmy the Great
Fever Ray
Franz Ferdinand
Howling Bells
Lily Allen
Morrissey

miscorrections
02-13-2009, 10:21 AM
And what do you THINK about them? This isn't the LIST 2009 ALBUMS YOU'VE HEARD thread.

wmgaretjax
02-13-2009, 10:37 AM
And what do you THINK about them? This isn't the LIST 2009 ALBUMS YOU'VE HEARD thread.

I thought the same thing, but I had my nap and my juice box this morning so didn't feel compelled to say it.

miscorrections
02-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Well I didn't have a nap OR a juice box so I'm going to be cranky.

bug on your lip
02-13-2009, 10:43 AM
i'm pretty underwhelmed by the new Asobi Seksu

shakermaker113
02-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Emmy the Great
Fever Ray

these are available?!

wmgaretjax
02-13-2009, 12:39 PM
i'm pretty underwhelmed by the new Asobi Seksu

It's not doing anything for me either. It's kind of flat...

BlackSwan
02-13-2009, 12:42 PM
To put it in perspective the new Prodigy is 10x better than the new MSTRKRFT.

miscorrections
02-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Yeah, the Asobi Seksu is kind of boring. I don't really feel pressed to listen to it again.

bleep
02-13-2009, 01:24 PM
the new Bat for Lashes hasn't done much to change my opinion of her. still think she's a watered down version of Tori Amos, Bjork and/or Kate Bush. didn't care for her first album, and i don't much care for this either. but, "Daniel" is a swell song!

wmgaretjax
02-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Tori Amos, Bjork and/or Kate Bush.

Quite a spectrum you've got going there. Any other prominent female artists you want to toss into the ring?

bleep
02-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Quite a spectrum you've got going there. Any other prominent female artists you want to toss into the ring?
alas, she sounds nothing like PJ Harvey. and i'm afraid the list of prominent female singers stops there...

PotVsKtl
02-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Moon and Moon does sounds an awful lot like a Tori Amos song. It's the piano. And the fact that her inflection is exactly like Tori Amos on that song, which has a piano.

wmgaretjax
02-13-2009, 02:13 PM
I can understand the Kate Bush and Toria Amos comparisons... Kind of. But Bjork doesn't make any sense to me.

Bat For Lashes worst songs sound like bad Tori Amos, her best hint at praying to be as good as Kate Bush.

bleep
02-13-2009, 02:21 PM
I can understand the Kate Bush and Toria Amos comparisons... Kind of. But Bjork doesn't make any sense to me.
listen to "Two Planets" and get back to me.

wmgaretjax
02-13-2009, 02:33 PM
I can see how some of the percussive elements are vaguely Bjork... But her vocals and the production are nothing like Bjork... Even the percussive elements only slightly recall her, I think they are much more reflective of Yeasayer (who helped with the instrumentation of the album).

PotVsKtl
02-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Yeah, it doesn't sound much like Bjork. Mostly due to the fact that it's a shitty song. "Life is so much black and white / Day cannot exist without night." Get the fuck off my player.

wmgaretjax
02-13-2009, 02:42 PM
haha. the lyrics on this album are awful.

bmack86
02-16-2009, 12:18 PM
I just finished listening to Bromst by Dan Deacon. On first listen, I'm a fan (I also liked his last one). It is a much bigger album in every sense; the average track length is longer, the thing is longer as a whole, and there are other players besides Deacon. The mallets that occur throughout add a great element to his 8-Bit electronic sounds. He stretches out the songs more, too, giving them space to breathe and develop. Also, there's less of a pervasive sense of zaniness on here, replaced by a more inquisitive bent. Deacon toys around with a more limited palate here, drawing some great sounds out of it. This deserves repeated listens.

sonofhal
02-16-2009, 12:31 PM
these are available?!

Fever Ray came out on 12th Jan
Emmy came out on 9th Feb

Well, they did here.

thestripe
02-16-2009, 01:12 PM
http://www.spin.com/articles/exclusive-yeah-yeah-yeahs-talk-new-album

Yeah Yeah Yeahs' first full-length album in three years, It's Blitz!, will arrive in the U.S. April 14. And with it, the trio will unveil their all-new sound -- one that has Nick Zinner predominantly ditching his guitar for a synth.

I don't like the sound of this.

MissingPerson
02-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Nick Zinner predominantly ditching his guitar for a synth.

WTF?!?

thestripe
02-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Yes, my thoughts exactly.

02-16-2009, 01:28 PM
i can't find the new mstrkrft :-/

hawkingvsreeve
02-16-2009, 01:31 PM
You don't want it.

bmack86
02-16-2009, 01:36 PM

Bad news

thestripe
02-17-2009, 07:42 AM
indeed.

bleep
02-17-2009, 07:53 AM

just checked out "Zero"...it has the potential to break into the Top 40. which may or may not be a good thing.

Jman4321
02-17-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm praying that this stylistic shift is more this:

http://www.dbrock.net/artistes/albums/covers_002300.jpg

than this...:

http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/wp-content/uploads/neil-young-trans.jpg

hawkingvsreeve
02-17-2009, 03:35 PM
That Neil Young album cover is awesome.

LooseAtTheZoo
02-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Is it going to include all the new songs about his awesome car?

PotVsKtl
02-23-2009, 10:50 AM
http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/838eb0ec94746b7b877f73a660d04d9281c79e2b_m.jpg

=

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_2/images/music-mercury-rev.jpg

bmack86
02-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Interesting. I'll hunt it down.

I'm on listen number 4 for Its Blitz! and I really enjoy it. Just so's y'all know.

BlackSwan
02-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I'm liking Its Blitz! as well so far. It's good they went the direction they wanted too instead of just putting out more of the same.

bmack86
02-23-2009, 11:09 AM
It's definitely not as ugly and raw, but they're getting pretty and older really gracefully. Not where I saw the Yeah Yeah Yeahs going at all, but I'm willing to follow.

wmgaretjax
02-23-2009, 11:14 AM
I do not like the YYY album... I do like the song Skeletons though.

I really hated Show Your Bones... I liked bits of Fever To Tell, and I loved both their EPs.

It deserves another couple of listens though.

PotVsKtl
02-23-2009, 11:57 AM
At least it's coherent. Far preferable to some of the other mindless dance rock pinballing around.

wmgaretjax
02-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Very true.

thestripe
02-23-2009, 01:20 PM
It's definitely not as ugly and raw, but they're getting pretty and older really gracefully. Not where I saw the Yeah Yeah Yeahs going at all, but I'm willing to follow.

This is pretty much how I feel about the album. It's not bad at all, I just need a little time to get used to it. I like the sound that they built themselves on, so I need to to digest this dramatic change in direction. I don't get why people are saying that it's inconsistent. It's way more focused than "Show Your Bones".

BlackSwan
02-23-2009, 01:53 PM
I have a feeling the new songs are going to be even better live. YYY's tour please.

dorkfish
02-23-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm praying that this stylistic shift is more this:

http://www.dbrock.net/artistes/albums/covers_002300.jpg

than this...:

http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/wp-content/uploads/neil-young-trans.jpg
I love Trans.

dorkfish
02-23-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm not a fan of the new Yeah Yeah Yeah's album upon first listen. It's not awful, it's just a departure that I'm not enjoying. I hope that Nick just turns the synth parts into guitar riffs for the live shows, or I'll likely just not ruin them for myself.

bleep
02-23-2009, 04:39 PM
oh man, YYY's "Soft Shock" was stuck in my head the whole damn day.

bmack86
02-23-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm officially obsessed with the YYYs album.

kreutz2112
02-23-2009, 06:38 PM
I listened to it once all the way through and then moved to something else. Bryan makes me want to listen to it again though.

bmack86
02-23-2009, 07:27 PM
YOU'RE A ZEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

rage patton
02-23-2009, 07:38 PM
I also like the new YYYs more and more with every listen.

clumsy342
02-23-2009, 07:46 PM
I just tried to put my own 2 cents in...
but I'm giving up...
I don't know what to say abou the new YYYs..

I get it. I just don't really like it.

MissingPerson
02-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Not impressed by YYYs, although I was never a huge fan of theirs.

Bell Orchestre is looking to be my favourite of the year for some time to come, and the only album other album on the way that catches my eye is Final Fantasy's Heartland. It would be nice if that'd hurry the hell up, incidentally.

thestripe
03-01-2009, 08:45 AM
"Dark Was the Night" is fantastic. Check it out. That's all.

MissingPerson
03-01-2009, 09:12 AM
"Dark Was the Night" is fantastic. Check it out. That's all.

We're going to keep saying it until you all go out and buy it, fuckers.

hawkingvsreeve
03-08-2009, 02:03 PM
New Royksopp has a cool and swagger about it that predates Justin Timberlake's Sexyback phase.

Actually I am only 2 tracks in.

fikus222
03-08-2009, 02:43 PM
I really really like the new YYYs...can't wait for Sasquatch.

hawkingvsreeve
03-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Finished Royksopp.

Nothing ground breaking or anything, but another solid release. If you like the band you will like the album. Highlights are Vision One, This Must Be It and True to Life.

zenidogx
03-08-2009, 04:05 PM
new Decemberists.

i had high expectations for it.

and

meh.

it just exceeded them.

hawkingvsreeve
03-08-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm listening to it now. I am enjoying it, but I think it's just too much concept for them. It's a lot to swallow.

What? Expecting something here?

hawkingvsreeve
03-08-2009, 04:46 PM
WHOA WHOA WHOA.

I just got to Margaret In Captivity.

Uhh, Bon Jovi anyone? Are you fisting me right now Colin Meloy? You can't rip that shit off and not expect us to catch it.

Edit:

My god. It's so blatant and unashamed.

wmgaretjax
03-08-2009, 04:56 PM
So... I have been incredibly uninterested in most of the IDM music released in the last couple of years... While sound design is stepping up in most other genres of electronic music, IDM has hit a kind of rut. Even releases from SND and Autechre have felt stale and uninteresting. To be honest, I'd kind of given up on the genre in favor of the new wave of minimalism that has been brought on (a little late) by appreciation of Gas's discography (probably brought on somewhat by the rerelease of his catalogue last year).

Needless to say, despite some awesome live performances, I was a little skeptical going into SND's new album Atavism... However, it blew me out of the water. This album breaks out in a much more activated way than anything else they've done. The sound design is lazer sharp and absolutely unrelenting. Easily the best electronic album I've heard so far this year. Headphone music in the truest sense of the word, it'll drill a hole into your skull in a matter of minutes. Raster + Noton is a welcome home for these guys, and I hope this release and their migration to that label indicates where they are heading with their music.

Oh... And the new Decemberists is absolutely ridiculous. I thought they were a caricatures of themselves before... I don't even know how to begin laughing at this album.

kreutz2112
03-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Brandon, I agree about the new Royksopp. I think the standout tracks you picked are good, but I would add "The Girl and The Robot".

Jared, I am going to check out that SND release purely based on your recommendation.

The new Decemberists album is liquid shit. I am embarrassed for them.

bleep
03-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Camera Obscura's The Maudlin Career
no new twists to their sound to be found here, but that's OK. another nice effort from a band that reliably churns out lovely songs. "Away With Murder," "French Navy," "The Sweetest Thing," and "My Maudlin Career" are some tracks that highlight the lighter, sweeter character of this release. heart soars, footsteps lighten...perfect springtime listening.

BlackSwan
03-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Finished Royksopp.

Nothing ground breaking or anything, but another solid release. If you like the band you will like the album.

I had the same thought after I finished it. Either way, it is definitely nice to have a new Royksopp to listen to this year.

bballarl
03-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Excellent. New Camera Obscura.

Hannahrain
03-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Uhh, Bon Jovi anyone? Are you fisting me right now Colin Meloy? You can't rip that shit off and not expect us to catch it.

See "The Sporting Life" in comparison to "Lust for Life". Nothing new.

hawkingvsreeve
03-09-2009, 12:12 PM
No, this is much much worse.

seandlr
03-09-2009, 12:15 PM
brother ali is coming out with an ep tomorrow :D

BlackSwan
03-12-2009, 08:58 AM
The first song of the new Fisherspooner is great and then it totally loses me. I really do like the first song though.

PassiveTheory
03-12-2009, 09:53 AM
New Julie Doiron = excellence.

hawkingvsreeve
03-14-2009, 11:59 AM
The new Metric album isn't all that bad. A couple keepers, a couple throw aways, the rest are somewhere in between.

New Phoenix is fun, but only the first half or so. The second half is easily forgettable. 1901 is excellent though.

bleep
03-15-2009, 10:50 AM
a differing opinion on Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix: i want to make out with this record. like with the physical record itself, not to it. a couple days in, and i'm still not sick of it. instead, i keep looking forward to moments in my day when i can escape from my chores and listen to this soft rock masterpiece. on It's Never Been Like That, the songs jumped out with their infectious hooks; here, with a little patience, it all reveals itself. i'm willing to rank this record the same as, or even better, than It's Never Been Like That. "Armistice" is an earworm of a song.

hawkingvsreeve
03-15-2009, 10:55 AM
I am upgrading Metric to pretty good, which sounds crazy I know, but some of these songs are very enjoyable. Give it a spin.

Carnie100
03-15-2009, 10:55 AM
New Julie Doiron = excellence.

I'd never heard of her until just now^.

Impressive. Is it just me or does Jagjaguwar have a more and more impressive group of artists every day?

PassiveTheory
03-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Seriously, I can't wait to hear the Dinosaur Jr. album that gets put out on that label sometime this/next year.

Also, "Consolation Prize" (Julie Doiron) and "Two Weeks" (Grizzly Bear) are slugging it out for song of the year, thus far, in my book. Hopefully this means 2009 is going to be a fantastic year for new music.

pancakespancakes
03-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Impressive. Is it just me or does Jagjaguwar have a more and more impressive group of artists every day?

No kidding, Jagjaguwar is kinda astounding me. Far and away my favorite record label right now. And I cannot believe they just signed Dinosaur on top of all that, they're one of my favorite bands of all time. I'll definitely have to check out Julie Dorion, what's she sound like?

PassiveTheory
03-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Well, I hate lopping people into childlike-simple categories, but she's definitely of the singer-songwriter persuasion and she does have some very "I'm playing accoustic guitar and singing about stuff" songs. But she also shreds like nobody's business (especially seen here (http://cdn.stereogum.com/mp3/Julie%20Doiron%20-%20Consolation%20Prize.mp3) on "Consolation Prize") and she's Canadian too and would probably make a great fit in Broken Social Scene should they ever have another rotation in their lineup.

I guess, just by virtue of actually knowing how to play guitar beyond a few simple chord changes, she's analogous to St. Vincent, Marnie Stern and Jenny Lewis (that last one is a stretch, though).

Here's a vid of another song:

uTGog78pzp4

wmgaretjax
03-15-2009, 12:29 PM
I'm meh on the Doiron, I'm just really curious as to how she has anything to do with Marnie Stern...

PassiveTheory
03-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Chicks with guitars? That indie fans like? That's the best I can come up with.

bmack86
03-15-2009, 02:57 PM
So she sounds like Sleater Kinney? Sweet!

boarderwoozel3
03-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Royksopp's Junior is fantastic. Check it yo!

kreutz2112
03-15-2009, 03:48 PM
I agree. I fucking love it so much. There is not one song that should be skipped on the entire album.

Kerowackattack
03-15-2009, 03:58 PM
I just finished listening to Bromst by Dan Deacon. On first listen, I'm a fan (I also liked his last one). It is a much bigger album in every sense; the average track length is longer, the thing is longer as a whole, and there are other players besides Deacon. The mallets that occur throughout add a great element to his 8-Bit electronic sounds. He stretches out the songs more, too, giving them space to breathe and develop. Also, there's less of a pervasive sense of zaniness on here, replaced by a more inquisitive bent. Deacon toys around with a more limited palate here, drawing some great sounds out of it. This deserves repeated listens.

I downloaded BROMST about a week ago. I first listened to it on an everyday bike ride that soon became extraordinary.
Since then i've given it about 10 listens all the way through.
I havent heard an album as energetic, danceable, or alive in a while. MMP is great and all, but it doesn't pleasure me the way Bromst does.
Another thing, I've seen him four times. Berkeley, Fillmore, Ultimate Reality @El Rey, & Coachella 08. Each time the experience was largely the same (except the video art/drums of Ultimate Reality)

But this album would change that experience sooo dramatically I must see him a fifth time.

TOP 5 of 2009

wmgaretjax
03-18-2009, 12:01 PM
I try not to subject you all with every other noise/experimental release I enjoy... But I've stumbled across someone in the last few weeks who has totally blown me out of the water.

Jason Crumer is not just another noise producer. I was turned on to him by fellow musique concrete aficionado Brutum Fulmen who was proclaiming his glories from, of all places, Twitter. Quick peeks into his releases, mostly on labels like RRRecords and Hospital, and a few interviews reveals a really laid back guy with an incredibly transparent process. He writes about using industry ready leak detectors that can penetrate through concrete as contacts mics to record source materials. Anecdotes like this completely explain how crisp, clear, and process oriented his sound is.

His latest release Walk With Me manages to sidestep a lot of the musique concrete spaz of his previous releases, while still maintaining a hunger for edge and variety in sound design. While a lot of the source material definitely feels familiar in the realm of harsh noise, Crumer is also unafraid to incorporate more discernible field recordings and even traditional instruments into his compositions. What results is nothing short of awe-inspiring. I have not been this excited about a composer in a while ...

There is a clear division in noise these days... Both are drawing from the tradition of Russolo... One half seems to take a more punk rock approach... On this side you see folks like New Blockaders and the last 15 years of Merzbow's output. On the other end there are those who seem more interested in evaluating the entire sonic landscape, quiet and stillness included... Many of these composers wear the influences of musique concrete and experimental academic music without shame. Crumer is clearly emerging as an artist completely up to the task of leading this group forward...

If I could go back in time, Ottoman Black would easily be in my top 3 of 2008.

bmack86
03-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Jared, could you pm that one?

wmgaretjax
03-18-2009, 01:29 PM
done and did.

sonofhal
03-18-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm also enjoying the Julie Doiron. Still haven't seen her solo, although i did see her play twice last year (with Eric's Trip and Mount Eerie).

pancakespancakes
03-18-2009, 02:54 PM
I just got Bromst and it's amazing. I wasn't the biggest fan of his last album but all 3 of my best friends are completely obsessed with him, so I feel like I know the man quite well anyway. I think I get it now. It's just great. More on that later, I need to listen to it 2 or 3 more times...

Seeing him and his 15-member ensemble at the Che Cafe on the Tuesday after Coachella is going to be insane. The place is a fucking 100-cappacity room. So that already puts us at an 85-person audience. I cannot wait.

hawkingvsreeve
03-18-2009, 03:33 PM
I just got Bromst and it's amazing. I wasn't the biggest fan of his last album but all 3 of my best friends are completely obsessed with him, so I feel like I know the man quite well anyway. I think I get it now. It's just great. More on that later, I need to listen to it 2 or 3 more times...

Seeing him and his 15-member ensemble at the Che Cafe on the Tuesday after Coachella is going to be insane. The place is a fucking 100-cappacity room. So that already puts us at an 85-person audience. I cannot wait.

More like 60 capacity. Playing there is fun for that reason.

pancakespancakes
03-18-2009, 03:44 PM
Well it's definitely not Dodger Stadium...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/2572014296_e5990b525a.jpg?v=0

hawkingvsreeve
03-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Stage area looks bigger than I remember. Also good that they got a vocal monitor.

pancakespancakes
03-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Also, just finished listening to the new Mastodon this evening. It's not really working for me. I'll try it again but it's not great... too prog. Too over the top.

Coming from someone that listens to as much prog rock as I do, that's saying something I think.

bmack86
03-19-2009, 10:49 AM
The new Mastodon is reminding me of Baroness. Much less thrash metal than their last three. Baroness tend to do this stuff better.

bleep
03-21-2009, 10:16 AM
the new Pet Shop Boys, Yes, is quite tasty. i guess it comes as no surprise that the tracks Xenomania co-wrote are the immediate standouts - "Love etc." and "More than a Dream" are disco gems. "Legacy" is also a highlight, Owen Pallet's orchestral arrangements really elevates that song to sweetness.

MissingPerson
03-21-2009, 10:22 AM
I am a complete fucking moron and had no idea Owen Pallett was involved.

I never thought I'd hear myself say it but, well, I guess I better go and listen to some Pet Shop Boys.

bleep
03-21-2009, 10:28 AM
from wiki, a short passage on who's involved:

The album was recorded throughout 2008 and is produced by Pet Shop Boys with Brian Higgins and his production team Xenomania. Xenomania also co-wrote three of the tracks. Guitarist Johnny Marr (The Smiths, Modest Mouse, Electronic, The Cribs) and string arranger Owen Pallett (Arcade Fire, The Last Shadow Puppets, Final Fantasy) also appear.
i believe Pallett's arrangements are only on two songs - "Legacy" and "Beautiful People"

BlackSwan
04-03-2009, 10:26 AM
I just listened to Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix for the first time yesterday and I am liking it as much as I liked last year's In Ghost Colours. Phoenix is one of those bands that people always tell me to listen to, but I never get around to it. I'm glad someone made me listen to it yesterday, because I am hooked now. So far Lisztomania, 1901 and Fences are my favorites.

If you are fan of Cut Copy definitely check out this album. Looks like a US tour is in the works for June too.

muzikwhore
04-03-2009, 10:34 AM
This album is my fav 09 so far!!! I've listened to it countless times after I got it on the release date. I can't wait to see them perform this live!!

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/muzikwhore_1313/600px-Cracktheskye.jpg

bleep
04-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Phoenix is one of those bands that people always tell me to listen to, but I never get around to it. I'm glad someone made me listen to it yesterday, because I am hooked now.
be sure to check out their previous effort It's Never Been Like That when you get a chance. on SNL tomorrow playing "1901" and "Lisztomania"!

Aurgasm
04-03-2009, 11:36 AM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/killeliot/plw3d.jpg
Peace Love Weed 3D CD/Digital Release, Old Tacoma Records (January 27, 2009)

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29394

TallGuyCM
04-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Listened to this yesterday and it's good...especially the first half...not sure how they'll be at Coachella, watched them webcast at Almost Acoustic a few years ago and wasn't all that impressed, but check out their new album...

http://www.indiestyle.be/Portals/125/20090312%20silversun%20pickups.jpg

Jon Blazed
04-03-2009, 02:43 PM
YOU'RE A ZEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sounds like MATERIAAAAAAAAAAAAL.....you know Madonna's Material Girl.

Stork
04-05-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm anticipating the new stuff from The Field and Iron and Wine.

kitt kat
04-07-2009, 01:41 PM
i just finished a pretty negative review of the new bat for lashes album…and you know what?

IT FELT SO GOOD.

it’s totally an album made for 14 year old girls who think they’re so “alt” for copying natasha khan’s style and who wouldn’t know that nearly every song blatantly rips off kate bush/bjork/tori amos because they have no clue who those people are and thus, do not recognize the album as plagiarism.

wmgaretjax
04-07-2009, 01:43 PM
i just finished a pretty negative review of the new bat for lashes album…and you know what?

IT FELT SO GOOD.

it’s totally an album made for 14 year old girls who think they’re so “alt” for copying natasha khan’s style and who wouldn’t know that nearly every song blatantly rips off kate bush/bjork/tori amos because they have no clue who those people are and thus, do not recognize the album as plagiarism.

Regardless of all of that.. The production on that album is fucking incredible. I'm not a huge fan of every track, but it's damn nice to listen to.

MissingPerson
04-07-2009, 01:48 PM
I am old enough to remember both Tori Amos and Bjork being accused of essentially the same thing.

kitt kat
04-07-2009, 01:52 PM
but the thing is that bjork and amos went on to separate themselves from the bush comparison and blazed new musical paths that made them innovators in their own right. bat for lashes hasn't earned that yet, and it's quite doubtful she will if she keeps playing a copycat.

faxman75
04-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Good call MP. Tori was accused of ripping off Kate Bush. I also remember hearing Fiona was a Tori rip off.

I guess every chick that plays piano is ripping off the previous one? I haven't heard the album but what makes it plagerism Kitt kat? I would think the distinction would come from the songwriting.

MassiveChemicalPunk
04-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Most of you may know about now, but I didn't see it listed here.

The Horrors new album is absolutely amazing. Check it out.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Y5wQAWBaL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

kreutz2112
04-07-2009, 01:56 PM
I want to read the reviews that compared Bjork and Tori Amos to Bush.

bmack86
04-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Good call MP. Tori was accused of ripping off Kate Bush. I also remember hearing Fiona was a Tori rip off.

I guess every chick that plays piano is ripping off the previous one? I haven't heard the album but what makes it plagerism Kitt kat? I would think the distinction would come from the songwriting.

Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

PotVsKtl
04-07-2009, 01:57 PM
I haven't heard the album but what makes it plagerism?

This should be productive.

kitt kat
04-07-2009, 01:59 PM
but see, that's the thing i had a big problem with. the the songs that mimicked other artists musically ALSO had strangely similar lyrical content. it's not like she threw in a little bjork shout of with icy drums...she fucking IMITATED her singing and wrote lyrics that sound a lot like bjork lyrics.

see:

"siren song" is a tori amos ripoff---especially because it deals with an alter ego of the album, and amos ALREADY did that, most recently in american doll posse.

"pearl's dream" sounds a lot like the songs on hounds of love

"glass" and "two planets" are STRAIGHT UP ripoffs of a lot of songs on homogenic, namely hunter and bachelorette.

what i did note is that "daniel" and "sleep alone" are strikingly original, and if she's smart, BFL should expand on that musical territory instead.

hawkingvsreeve
04-07-2009, 02:01 PM
I see.

kitt kat
04-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

We're best suited for blowjobs and ironing.

BlackSwan
04-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Just not at the same time.

bmack86
04-07-2009, 02:31 PM
We're best suited for blowjobs and ironing.

And barefoot pie baking. My favorite.

higgybaby23
04-07-2009, 02:31 PM
but see, that's the thing i had a big problem with. the the songs that mimicked other artists musically ALSO had strangely similar lyrical content. it's not like she threw in a little bjork shout of with icy drums...she fucking IMITATED her singing and wrote lyrics that sound a lot like bjork lyrics.

see:

"siren song" is a tori amos ripoff---especially because it deals with an alter ego of the album, and amos ALREADY did that, most recently in american doll posse.

"pearl's dream" sounds a lot like the songs on hounds of love

"glass" and "two planets" are STRAIGHT UP ripoffs of a lot of songs on homogenic, namely hunter and bachelorette.

what i did note is that "daniel" and "sleep alone" are strikingly original, and if she's smart, BFL should expand on that musical territory instead.

These are the reasons I now prefer Bat For Lashes to either Bjork or Tori. IMO, BFL is like Bjork without the vocal histrionics or like Tori w/o the pretension. Plagarisitc or not, I'm in love.

hawkingvsreeve
04-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Tori hasn't been relevant for the past 10 years and Bjork is constantly evolving and changing. I don't think it's a big deal.

Newro7ic
04-07-2009, 02:59 PM

I need a sig. I'm using this until something better comes along. I made a little lol.

MissingPerson
04-07-2009, 03:08 PM
I want to read the reviews that compared Bjork and Tori Amos to Bush.

You won't have to look too far, particularly in Amos' case.

Aurgasm
04-07-2009, 03:15 PM
These are the reasons I now prefer Bat For Lashes to either Bjork or Tori. IMO, BFL is like Bjork without the vocal histrionics or like Tori w/o the pretension. Plagarisitc or not, I'm in love.

interesting. I don't play any of these artists much anymore.. bfl..meh.

the new pj harvey is where im at
http://stereogum.com/img/album_covers/pj_harvey-a_man_a_woman.jpg

been playing it a lot lately.

Boourns
04-07-2009, 03:25 PM

Exactly. I find myself listening to Bat for Lashes a lot lately. Almost never for Tori and Bush. But always some Bjork, but a little Bjork goes a long way.

BlackSwan
04-07-2009, 03:38 PM
kitt kat is just jealous of Natasha and resents 14 year old girls.

Aurgasm
04-07-2009, 03:44 PM
kitt kat is just jealous of Natasha and resents 14 year old girls.

that is the only obvious conclusion

MissingPerson
04-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Every female musician is either Kate Bush or Courtney Love. That's just science.

Boourns
04-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Uffie's got it!

MissingPerson
04-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Uffie's got it!

You know the way people say they just spat coffee onto their monitor, even though there's no way they actually did? Well, I was drinking tea, but yes, it really did happen.

First time in internet history?

MeowMixer
04-07-2009, 04:10 PM
The Whip's X Marks Destination it the best album I have heard in 2008. Possibly in the last 3 years or so. I stand behind this album 100%. So this is the wrong thread. But the hell with finding the right one. The Whip is gonna become huge, and it might as well be a 2009 album.

Apparently this is just now being released in the U.S. (I ordered the import). I still think that it is a great 2009 album (despite Spin's less-than-flattering review). I recommend you check it out, even if you're a douchebag who hates everything with synths. Screw Spin.

kitt kat
04-07-2009, 10:43 PM
And barefoot pie baking. My favorite.

i make the best pie anyone will ever taste, just saying.

bug on your lip
04-08-2009, 10:45 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eXQh6Qsh7Z8/SWLRDyH3CII/AAAAAAAAA_c/r7IyWU3LTTw/s400/nerds-hairpie-1.jpg

dorkfish
04-08-2009, 10:57 AM
i make the best pie anyone will ever taste, just saying.
our resident board piesmith would probably disagree with this.

bug on your lip
04-08-2009, 11:10 AM
2 pies > 1 pie

hawkingvsreeve
04-08-2009, 12:44 PM
our resident board piesmith would probably disagree with this.

As would anybody who has been lucky enough to have tasted pies made by said piesmith.

wmgaretjax
04-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Ekkehard Ehlers & Paul Wirkus - Ballads

Easily one of the best albums of the year so far. Here Ehlers jumps back towards older material leaving behind the blues focus of his last couple albums, in addition, Wirkus helps nail down the production and it's nearly flawless. Despite almost all the source material being Jazz, it only pokes through a handful of times in a transparent manner, most of the time it just drives the heaviness in the mid-range of the sonic spectrum. Regardless of all this, it's mostly just the best ambient album of the year so far.

thestripe
04-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Please tell me about the Dirty Projectors album. I'm not going to be able to dl it until after Coachella. I'm very curious.

hawkingvsreeve
04-12-2009, 03:47 PM
It's good. Melodic, very syncopated, good male/female vocal dynamics, stalls slightly in the middle but picks up again. A high 7, maybe an 8 with repeated listens.

thestripe
04-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Along the same lines as their last album?

I have to say, I find myself listening to their "Dark Was the Night" track all the time. So I have high expectations.

wmgaretjax
04-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Heh. Just answered this in the other thread.

It's very R&B influenced, as opposed to the punk rock skew of the last. A couple songs scream R. Kelly and Beyonce. The schism in the middle worked perfectly for me. It's a little jarring, but in a good way. Not quite as good or coherent as Rise Above, but damn damn good.

It's in my top 10 of the year so far. I've listened to it maybe 3 or 4 times and I don't see it stopping anytime soon.

And the majority of the album is better than the dark was the night song, I don't think you'll be disappointed.