PDA

View Full Version : LOST!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24

fikus222
05-23-2010, 10:49 PM
I totally approve of the ending, the entire episode was a nice ride and a real tear jerker. I personally am okay with a spiritualesque end to the series. Erika on the other hand does not completely approve. She thinks that the writers should have tried harder to reconcile the sideways world with the 'real' world, rather than [having the sideways world act as some sort of afterlife limbo world].

Even with its inconsistencies and dropped plot lines LOST is still the best thing ever to grace TV or Cable, by far.

[Edited to correct misquote]

corbo
05-23-2010, 10:51 PM
those of you disappointed with the ending.. what the fuck were you expecting?
it was OK. overall this was a great SERIES! not disappointed at all.

bballarl
05-23-2010, 10:54 PM
The ending was perfect. Jack found what he was looking for. He could move on. Life moved on. They couldn't have done it any better.

Westy
05-23-2010, 10:54 PM
I laughed. I cried. Now I can let go.

full on idle
05-23-2010, 10:55 PM
Pretty fucking stupid. It's okay, though, series held my interest for all this time. Should've ended with a war against the dharma people and then an escape. Nowhere near the level of Six Feet Under or the Wire as far as best show ever.

Trashcan_alligator
05-23-2010, 10:55 PM
I totally approve of the ending, the entire episode was a nice ride and a real tear jerker. I personally am okay with a spiritualesque end to the series. Erika on the other hand does not completely approve. She thinks that the writers should have tried harder to reconcile the sideways world with the 'real' world, rather than utilizing a deus ex machina ending.

Even with its inconsistencies and dropped plot lines LOST is still the best thing ever to grace TV or Cable, by far.

i don't approve of your girlfriend not trying harder to reconcile the actual meaning of "deus ex machina" with the way she used it.

bballarl
05-23-2010, 10:59 PM
I laughed. I cried. Now I can let go.

Whether you are serious or not, this is pretty much the point.

fikus222
05-23-2010, 11:02 PM
i don't approve of your girlfriend not trying harder to reconcile the actual meaning of "deus ex machina" with the way she used it.

Yep, you're right, I misquoted my wife. Erika said supernatural ending and I am the one who put deus ex machina instead. She's the one with the English degree from UCLA not me ;)

fikus222
05-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Nowhere near the level of Six Feet Under or the Wire as far as best show ever.

You're funny.

Trashcan_alligator
05-23-2010, 11:05 PM
... so your girlfriend was upset that Lost was supernatural?

fikus222
05-23-2010, 11:07 PM
... so your girlfriend was upset that Lost was supernatural?

Your reading comprehension skills are now suspect.

Westy
05-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Whether you are serious or not, this is pretty much the point.

Wut?

bballarl
05-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Of the show. Your post summed it up nicely. Good job.

Mr.Nipples
05-23-2010, 11:24 PM
thank god its over

shermanoaksyo
05-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Good riddance to the most cynical con job in television history.

These guys took everything that is worthless and deceptive in the sci-fi/fantasy/psych thriller genres, poured it into a blender, shit into said blender, activated it, and then poured the results all over ABC.

Tonight, the last bits have dripped off. Huzzah.

If you spent your TV time tonight on this sham instead of a transcendent episode of Tremé, I offer you my sincere pity.

fikus222
05-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Thanks for mentioning Tremé, I had never heard of it before.

ADrunkPoet
05-23-2010, 11:34 PM
I left satisfied.

sonofhal
05-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Watching it half asleep didn't help.

HunterGather
05-24-2010, 12:12 AM
I'm sure there's going to be bunches of fan-fiction alternatives to please everyones disappointments.

CrimesceneCookie
05-24-2010, 12:20 AM
If you spent your TV time tonight on this sham instead of a transcendent episode of Tremé, I offer you my sincere pity.

ya know, some of us with dvrs watch both. . .

digitaldragon03
05-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Holy fuck. That was amazing. No, they havent been dead since the beginning, you pieces of shit. The flash sideways were really flash forwards, into a place between life and the after life. A kind of waiting room where you have to wait for all the people you care about to die and where you have to recognize your life and death in order to move on into the afterlife. Its also shown to be a flash-forward because of the conversation that Hurley and Ben have outside the church. They talk about their time "protecting" the island in the past tense saying that Hurley was a good #1 and Ben a good #2. So that explains why they were there in limbo even though we as an audience never saw them die.

As a fan who has been glued to this show since the pilot appeared 6 years ago, i thought the ending was fucking brilliant.

fikus222
05-24-2010, 12:51 AM
^ Nailed it.

sbessiso
05-24-2010, 01:37 AM
im really glad everyone enjoyed it

tessalasset
05-24-2010, 01:49 AM
I sincerely loved that ending. Everything about it. I'm personally glad they didn't spend too much time on the whole island light savior thing and focused more on the relationships between the characters, once again. That's what it's always been about. I cried at pretty much every single enlightenment scene, but especially Kate/Claire/Charlie. I didn't even realize until I watched Kimmel that Michael wasn't in the church. I love that he was so bad he was forever stuck on the island as a whisper. It makes me wonder what things Ben needed to do before he would join them in the church. Did he need to make a more cohesive family unit with Alex and Danielle? I almost lost it when I realized the things that made them "see" were their true loves/most important things/times in their lives (except for Ben... I still don't understand why Desmond punching him made him remember).

I TOTALLY lost it when I realized Jack was stumbling into the bamboo forest, passing that fucking shoe, and that he was going to die alone. They all were going to live together in the afterlife, and he was going to die alone on the island. I literally said that out loud and started to cry. And then fucking puppy vincent had to walk up and make it that much better. He didn't have to die completely alone. And he got to see them take off in the plane. He knew everyone was ok. He fixed them.

Jimmy Kimmel brought up an interesting point. He showed the clip in the alt timeline where they're in the plane and the turbulence starts and you think it's gonna crash again but then nothing happens, and Rose says "you can let go now." He thinks when they passed through the turbulence was the exact time Jack died for real on the island. And that Rose on the airplane knew it, and she was telling him he could "let go" and join them in the afterlife. I think that's kind of awesome. Then my friend was thinking, what if the airplane dying island Jack saw fly over the trees was actually Oceanic 815? But I don't want to read that far into it. He smiled. I think it's the Ajira plane. Shannon and Sayid was awesome. I forgot how much I loved the two of them together, and that's why Sayid didn't end up with Nadia. He wasn't supposed to. Shannon was his true love.

Charlotte wasn't in the church, was she? Not her time yet? She didn't get an enlightenment, I don't think. Just Daniel swooning. I'm also glad the writers didn't decide to unnecessarily kill off all the unimportant characters. I guess with the Ajira plane storyline, they couldn't kill off Frank. Actually, that was maybe the one thing in the whole episode that made me go "yeah right," when he was drifting in the ocean. Yeah right. Dude died. But it was cool that this entire time I was just waiting to see when they were going to kill off Miles but surprise! He gets to live. That was unpredictable.

Also one of my favorite parts was where Jack, MIB, and Richard all realized they were once again mortal and aging. I got really excited in both of those scenes. Although when MIB stabbed Jack, I kept waiting for a huge gash to show up underneath his suit at the hospital.

Also so since Hurley was the protector now and got to make his own rules, Ajira was able to successfully leave, and I think Desmond took MIB's boat and went back to find Penny and baby Charlie. Jack told him to.

More to come later after I've read more recaps. I was more than satisfied with this ending. I loved it. I can't wait to watch this entire series again.

tessalasset
05-24-2010, 01:57 AM
Here are some pics from my Lost party.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs339.ash1/29112_547935496526_81500275_32079183_5535599_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs310.snc3/29112_547940880736_81500275_32079723_6872512_n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs330.snc3/29112_547937068376_81500275_32079269_8114410_n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs310.snc3/29112_547936893726_81500275_32079250_4869231_n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs330.snc3/29112_547936823866_81500275_32079247_2614959_n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs330.snc3/29112_547948350766_81500275_32080035_3636931_n.jpg

tessalasset
05-24-2010, 02:16 AM
Shit this just made me tear up, reading someone's comment on another website:

I must have gotten smoke in my eyes a bunch of times during this episode. Like at almost every awakening/remembering scene. I loved Kate’s comment to Jack after the concert. “I’ve missed you for so long” or something like that. Very illuminating to the whole afterlife/no time concept. She missed him for the rest of the time she was alive, however long that was.

I just occurred to me that Kate got off the island, and Jack died on it. Fuck. She and Sawyer both had to live their entire lives without their greatest loves. That is some sad shit.

tessalasset
05-24-2010, 02:30 AM
This was something awesome I just read on another site:

Has anyone here read the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King? The fact that they all had to wait for each other, that they were the most important people in each other’s lives and that they were all destined to be together reminded me of something in those books, called a Ka-Tet. (There are quite a few other parallels between Lost and The Dark Tower, but I won’t go into that.) A Ka-Tet was a group of people who were destined to be together, no matter what life they were living. They lived previous lives together, and wait for each other in the next one. No matter where they are, they will meet, because it is their destiny and they are bound together by something even stronger than blood. That’s what it reminded me of, personally, and I liked that idea.

digitaldragon03
05-24-2010, 02:32 AM
Please mail me some Dharma beer.

Also, i goddamn loved the part where Jack tells off MIB. "Youre not John Locke. You may wear his face, but youre not him." It made me realize that aside from limbo, we havent seen Locke in over a season. His death was probably the most tragic of all.

tessalasset
05-24-2010, 02:56 AM
Jesus, I watched each of these again and they all made me cry like a baby.

JaY_Yhhn6g4

9AHGZIIi0Lo

FAAhEtoxFjM

gaD7N5nxNdY

tessalasset
05-24-2010, 02:57 AM
Please mail me some Dharma beer.

Also, i goddamn loved the part where Jack tells off MIB. "Youre not John Locke. You may wear his face, but youre not him." It made me realize that aside from limbo, we havent seen Locke in over a season. His death was probably the most tragic of all.

Every time I watched him in the alt time line it made me realize how much I missed old John Locke on the island. Terry O'Quinn is such a phenomenal actor.

tessalasset
05-24-2010, 03:05 AM
I love at the beginning of this video, how baby Jacob shows up and you can tell Matthew Fox has no idea what everyone is laughing at.

YyKyjeRodd4

malcolmjamalawesome
05-24-2010, 04:25 AM
I officially really enjoyed the ending.

i812many
05-24-2010, 05:24 AM
I really liked the ending, didnt give all the answers I wanted but I knew that some things were not going to be answered going into it. I'm not an emotional guy but that ending got me, I was like Faraday watching the plane crash footage.

SDsoldier7
05-24-2010, 06:23 AM
I cried.

heart cooks brain
05-24-2010, 06:41 AM
so minorities weren't allowed in the church?

Globally, white people are a minority, so...

thestripe
05-24-2010, 06:42 AM
I'm happy with it. I love this show. I've said it before but, Jack's the man. So sad.

BeHereNOW
05-24-2010, 06:48 AM
only 1 thing Kate did good on the island: shoot MIB

great ending.

heart cooks brain
05-24-2010, 06:52 AM
yeah, kate was the worst

captncrzy
05-24-2010, 07:24 AM
I've been thinking about this for hours. Still have more thinking to do.

Original reaction: very bittersweet. But I don't see how they could have ended it any other way. I like they were all waiting for each other in Limbo to move on and so they were together wherever they went to. I like that some people still got off the island and lived lives. I like that Ben and Hurley were left to protect the island, and they did it for an unknown amount of time (because time really is irrelevant). (Also, I'd like to see a Ben and Hurley knockoff show about their island adventures). I like that they spent the time wrapping up the character stories and didn't worry too much about the dharma plot line or the light and that stuff.

I think I loved it.

captncrzy
05-24-2010, 07:28 AM
Also, was I the only one that was duped into thinking that Jimmy Kimmell was actually going to show alternate endings.

J~$$$$
05-24-2010, 07:41 AM
I really enjoyed Kimmel. Seeing the audience crying made me laugh, but the alternate endings were great. Marylin Manson. The best part was see how emotional Matthew Fox was at seeing the ending. I also didn't know that Vincent is his dog in real life.

wmgaretjax
05-24-2010, 07:55 AM
that shit was so fucking bad. you all have miserably bad taste.

faxman75
05-24-2010, 07:57 AM
Apparently there was 45 minutes of commericals which is right about average. I'm guessing it was the pacing of the emo scenes and the timing of when they took the breaks that made it seem like a shit ton more.

captncrzy
05-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Great theory. In white:

Hey all! Wow, what a ride this has all been. I absolutely loved that ending. I know many of you didn't; however, I'm sure that we can all agree that it was an incredibly wonderful journey with a very emotional ending. I’m not sure how coherent this will be as I am both emotionally drained and physically exhausted.

In my previous post I drew a parallel between Hinduism and the meaning of the light in the cave. Tonight I would like to connect Hinduism to the ultimate ending of the show. For an introduction, here is my description of some key parts of Hinduism.

Hinduism has at its core the idea that everything in this universe is made up of one eternal substance known as Bhraman. We all have what Westerners would call a “soul”, called the “Atman”, which is part of Bhraman. The Atman is eternal and the goal of life is to achieve enlightenment and find one’s Atman, which is our “true self”.

This can be achieved in many ways. One way is to rid yourself of all needs and attachments that you have left in the material world. The point of enlightenment is that it allows you to escape from an eternal cycle known as “Samsara.” Samsara is the cycle of reincarnation. If you don’t “let go” and find your Atman in this life, no problem, you get to do it again in the next life. Depending on how closely you followed your life’s duty (your Dharma) you are reincarnated as something more or less awesome. Escaping Samsara allows your Atman to return to Bhraman, which means no more reincarnating.

The castaways and characters that made it to the church had shed all of their worldly needs and attachments and had become enlightened enough to rejoin Bhraman. Jack let go of the son he never had. Locke let go of Helen. Sayid let go of Nadia. Etc.

I can see some people arguing that these aren't examples of worldly possessions, since they were part of the ALT. The key to escaping samsara is not necessarily getting rid of the possessions themselves; it's in getting rid of the attachments. Jack's son represented an idea. He was Jack trying to work out his father/son issues. When Jack accepted that he would never have a son and that he loved his father (even with his flaws) he was ready.

On the other hand, Ben still had things that he “had to do.” He was still attached to worldly possessions (i.e. Alex and Rousseau). He wasn't happy with the things he did and so he couldn't "let go." As such, he simply rejoined the cycle and waited for another time to escape.

Characters like the freighter four might not have been ready to move on either. I don't really know why. Maybe Daniel wanted a shot at being a musician and was still attached to that idea. Miles seemed to have a good relationship with his father in the flashsideways. Maybe they didn't want to let go of those things. These are things neither of them had, but that they wanted very much. They still had their attachments and so they couldn’t let go this time around. Eloise and Widmore would definitely fit into that category too.

Others still had yet to truly achieve enlightenment (like Michael and Ana Lucia). They definitely need another go at the whole letting go and accepting and redemption thing.

Hinduism is not the only way to look at that ending. The chapel with the coffin had a HUGE number of objects from a large number if faiths… I for one am excited to keep parsing the show for ideas for years to come J.

J~$$$$
05-24-2010, 08:19 AM

Go on..... Why was it so fucking bad?

And Jen why did you white out that theroy?

chairmenmeow47
05-24-2010, 08:19 AM

you're great for helping me figure out if i'll like something. if you like it, i'll hate it. if you hate it, i'll love it :)

i'm not going to lie, i'm still somewhat confused. i think the finale pissed me off as i was watching it last night as they all do, but it's starting to set in today. i need a rewatch!!!

captncrzy
05-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Go on..... Why was it so fucking bad?

And Jen why did you white out that theroy?

I don't know. I'm dumb.

wmgaretjax
05-24-2010, 08:24 AM
confusion is fine. ambiguity is fine. a finale of retarded come to jesus flashbacks motivated by absolute deus ex machina... this is bad writing at its most frustrating.

sbessiso
05-24-2010, 08:25 AM
Two things:

According to Nielsen, the two-and-a-half hour finale averaged 13.5 million viewers and a 5.6 in the 18-49 demo. Again, solid but not spectacular.

E!: Money Kept Mr. Eko Out
Of LOST’s FlashSideways!!

According to ABC and Lost insiders, Adewale was offered a hearty sum to do one scene in the last hurrah, but the actor wanted five times the amount that was offered. It didn't work out.

chairmenmeow47
05-24-2010, 08:27 AM
SPOILER ALERT: JULIET'S TITS ARE AWESOME

oh, and i just had to come back to argue with this. one of the worst tit jobs ever. we were commenting on this last night. horrible. her tits pale in comparison to sun's.

weeklymix
05-24-2010, 08:31 AM
confusion is fine. ambiguity is fine. a finale of retarded come to jesus flashbacks motivated by absolute deus ex machina... this is bad writing at its most frustrating.

This.

J~$$$$
05-24-2010, 08:35 AM

Wasn't the whole series brought to this point? It was the closing of a loop. I understand the frustration I guess I just don't see it as a come to Jesus deux ex machina.

Being lost in life and finding your way in faith science family and freinds in the end.

captncrzy
05-24-2010, 08:40 AM
According to Titus W: The Man in Black's name was Samuel. Producers decided to not reveal it to avoid a Sex-in-the-City comparison, I assume.

captncrzy
05-24-2010, 08:41 AM
Wasn't the whole series brought to this point? It was the closing of a loop. I understand the frustration I guess I just don't see it as a come to Jesus deux ex machina.

Being lost in life and finding your way in faith science family and freinds in the end.

This.

I mean, really, where else did you think it was going?

chairmenmeow47
05-24-2010, 08:47 AM
i like that theory, jen.

and i knew eko belonged in there somewhere. that actor seems like a douche from most of the interviews i've seen of him.

J~$$$$
05-24-2010, 08:47 AM
After a plane crash waking up on a fucking island....alone lost.....dying on that same island alone after finding your purpose and family and freinds..... Huge.

The eye opening first shot and eye closing final shot. Perfect. Life, death. Never really a beginning or end. So many metaphors.

Best show ever.

chairmenmeow47
05-24-2010, 08:49 AM
i saw the character was written as samuel on lostpedia.

chairmenmeow47
05-24-2010, 08:50 AM
After a plane crash waking up on a fucking island....alone lost.....dying on that same island alone after finding your purpose and family and freinds..... Huge.

The eye opening first shot and eye closing final shot. Perfect. Life, death. Never really a beginning or end. So many metaphors.

Best show ever.

i loved the eye closing too. it made me really happy i watched the pilot again over the weekend.

wmgaretjax
05-24-2010, 09:01 AM
I mean, really, where else did you think it was going?

It doesn't have to "go" anywhere else for the writing to be better. For the most part I'm ok with how the island stuff was resolved. I thought the whole last season was a cop out, but i certainly didn't expect anything better in the finale.

The flash sideways shit should have been canned entirely, that entire faction of the story was sentimental revelry. A perfect example of writers thinking their characters are more important than they really are.

The finale was just the most egregious example of how bad the last season was because all their cards were on the table at that point and the acting and writing couldn't stand up to the self-importance of everyone involved. Seriously, the last 10 minutes are going to be parodied into oblivion...

herro kitty
05-24-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm just confused on a few things.. The writers made it a point to emphasize how when people blacked out during the island that they woke up in the ALT timeline. Like when Desmond met Penny and then he woke up in Widmore's turbine test thing and when he blacked out he went back to meeting Penny. What's all that about if the ALT was just a purgatory where you're already dead and time doesn't matter and stuff? And what happens to people who die in purgatory (Keamy)?? Or did the ALT turn from a flash forward to the purgatory later?

chairmenmeow47
05-24-2010, 09:07 AM
is purgatory based on your own perception? for example, when jack enters the church, is he actually with the spirit of everyone he knew, or just his perceptions of the spirits (like dreams)? would each character find different people in the church?

and i don't get the timing of the church. if some people lived longer than jack, then how are they already in the church? if the church is timeless (as we would imagine heaven to be as someone mentioned earlier), then why aren't the people who "aren't ready yet", there if it's timeless? will they ever be ready? "when" the hell are they if jack is getting to the church the same time as people who died AFTER him, but BEFORE people who aren't yet enlightened? is this like cats where they all have to meet once a year at this church in purgatory at a specific time or something?

i doubt there are answers to all this, but it's confusing for me too.

and while i definitely loved this season, i also thought we could have done with less flash sideways stuff and more island storylines if we weren't going to reconcile the two timelines. it was an overly-sentimental season; i certainly won't argue with that.

Boourns
05-24-2010, 09:07 AM
Apparently if you set off a nuke in the past, you create not an alternate timeline but limbo. A limbo where people live, just differently, until they touch someone, then they realize they're already dead and nothing experienced in this limbo mattered, and go to church to "let go" with all the other corpses. And Desmond can go back and forth.

herro kitty
05-24-2010, 09:11 AM
I guess I'm still confused about the ALT timeline. I feel like I invested so much time to think about how that fit into the story because it was basically most of season 6 and for it to turn out to be a metaphorical place for all their spirits to gather... I'm sorry, it didn't cut it for me.

captncrzy
05-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Apparently if you set off a nuke in the past, you create not an alternate timeline but limbo. A limbo where people live, just differently, until they touch someone, then they realize they're already dead and nothing experienced in this limbo mattered, and go to church to "let go" with all the other corpses. And Desmond can go back and forth.

I don't think the nuke created a limbo. Limbo is there for people that need resolution.

Sexecutioner
05-24-2010, 10:02 AM
I don't think the nuke created a limbo. Limbo is there for people that need resolution.

exactly. we were meant to think that's what happened, but really the nuke didnt do anything, except kill juliet. and notice that when she died in sawyers arms, didnt she mumble something about getting coffee? then when they met at the vending machine in limbo world, they said the same thing about getting coffee. does that mean that she was already getting enlightened right after she died? like even though it seems like it takes a while for the sake of storytelling, time is actually meaningless there so it all happens in the blink of an eye. same with jack and the rest of them too...i dont know, i'm just reaching.

overall i liked the ending though. once they prepared us early on that lots of questions would go unanswered, we knew the ending would be all about the characters and their redemption. so knowing that's what they were going for, i don't see how they could have done much better. i would have liked to see more island back story this season, but what can ya do.

adamnikyo
05-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Did Juliet actually detonate the bomb? I thought not. The flash was just the island jumping through time again.

Sexecutioner
05-24-2010, 10:15 AM
i think we don't actually know if the bomb went off, right? the light flashes and they jump to the present, but we don't actually know if it went off in the 70s or not.

J~$$$$
05-24-2010, 10:17 AM
This is exactly what happened on Lost, and has been happening since the beginning. The first world that we were shown was the characters' lives before the crash. They were weighed down by many struggles and disappointments and issues. Then the crash happens and they move to the next world. Some will say that the vehicle of this transportation was death - they all died in the plane crash, and were moved to the next world, a sort of Purgatory Step One, or something. But it doesn't really matter whether they actually all died in the crash or not, because they next world - the island - is real to them, alive or dead.

The island is a more perfect world than their previous one. Note: it's not perfect, it's more perfect. Their lives are for the most part better. They gain a sense of place and community. Many apply the skills and personalities from the former world while letting going of the baggage that weighed them down. They do this by first remembering the other world. What do you think the flashbacks that we were shown all of seasons 1, 2and 3 actually were? We were watching the characters reflect on their previous lives and let go of the bad parts in order to move forward with the good parts, just as they did in the flash-sideways last night.

I would like to suggest that the island is "magical" in order to facilitate a more perfect world. There is an energy on the island. The science people, like the Dharma folk, will explain it as electromagnetic anomalies, the mythological or religious will explain it as the heart of the island, etc., but its fulfills a role. It heals John Locke's paralysis. It allows Jin and Sun to have a baby. It gives Jack something worth protecting, saving and fixing.

I think the finale makes the argument that at some point, every character is ready for the next world. Some take longer than others. Some may even regress to a worse world, now and then (as I believe may have been what happened to the Oceanic 6 when they left the island). Some may be forced to repeat a world in a different role (as I believe could be a more proper explanation for the whispers - they are people who aren't quite ready for the next world, and will only let go of the necessary baggage by aiding and guiding others to the next world). But eventually, everyone gets there.

The flash-sideways timeline (that name doesn't really fit anymore, but I'll use it for convenience) does, I think, fit my definition of a more perfect world than the island reality. The characters are for the most part happier and more well-rounded. I know what you're thinking, "But how can the flash-sideways be more special than a magical island?" To which I answer, "the flash-sideways is absolutely magical, too." And I'm not just saying that because it's inhabited by dead people. This reality has been breaking the rules of a normal universe all season. At least a week elapses for John Locke, Desmond, Kate, Sawyer, Claire and Hurley between 815 landing and the concert happening. Sayid, Jin and Sun, though, only go through one or two days. Sun and Jin are apprehended by Keamy the morning after arriving in Los Angeles. That same day, Sun is accidentally shot. She arrives at the hospital at the same time as John Locke, who was run over by Desmond at least a week after getting back from the flight (John couldn't have been fired, gone to the temp agency, been placed as a substitute teacher and substituted for a variety of classes all within 24 hours of getting back to LA).

Also, when John agrees to the surgery it is already the day of the concert. There is no way he could have gone through all the prep work and actually undergone the surgery that same night. Remember how long Jack prepared for his surgery on the Italian Guy in the flashbacks of "The Hunting Party"? I'm not trying to point out continuity errors, I'm just arguing that the flash-sideways has a magical timelessness to it that makes it special.

Maybe the flash-sideways wasn't a proper next world. Maybe it was more of a waiting room of sorts. But in order to progress through it, the characters had to do basically the same thing that they did on the island: have flashbacks to the previous world. And then, once they've used these memories to correct the flaws that made them unworthy and unready for the next world, it's time to move on.

We don't know what the next world is like. Or any of the worlds after, for that matter. What we've seen was just progress - a process of perfecting flaws, growing closer together, and moving into a better and better life.

It doesn't really matter, then, how rigidly you classify these worlds. It would be possible to call the island hell (as Richard and the Man in Black did), the flash sideways as purgatory and the world beyond the door in the church as heaven. You could take a less spiritual approach, too, and say that everyone was still alive until their natural death during the show, and the flash-sideways was some sort of reincarnation and the world after will be another. The important thing, I think, is that Lost is understood as a constant process of moving from one special, unique place with people you love into a more special and unique place with people you love even more.

DESMOND, FARADAY, HAWKING

I guess I'll tackle the character who's hardest to fit into this view first - Desmond. In looking at how Desmond may have been moving from one world to another, I think it becomes evident that not all the characters were on the same... what's the right word... level, maybe. It's always been clear that Ms. Hawking, for example, knows more than she should. She's been telling Desmond, Faraday, and just about everybody else, what they're supposed to do, for a very long time. She may have been giving them directions that slowed them down in their own quests to reach the next world; indeed, it seems like that's her role in the flash-sideways, as she attempts to deter Desmond's mission. It could also be that that's her main goal -to hold back those who aren't ready, yet. She could have been unwilling to let Faraday go with Desmond because she wasn't ready to part with him, or it could have been that Daniel wasn't ready for the next world, yet.

Think about it. Daniel, as evidenced by his conversation with Desmond in "Happily Ever After", still thinks he caused an alternate reality by setting off a bomb. He might appear like he's in the same world as everybody else, but for him, it could be a level below. He's still wrapped up in the science without seeing the bigger picture. That could be why someone like him isn't ready to move on yet.

But anyway, I said I was talking about Desmond. I think he's been a step ahead of everyone else all along. It could be because he came to the island years before the plane crash survivors. Maybe that's why he received so many special powers and "the rules don't apply" wild cards. He was more special because he was on a higher level. And whereas leaving the island was probably a step back for the Oceanic 6, for Desmond, it was most certainly an improvement. But the island was in danger, and Jacob had no choice but to recall one of its most special characters in order to save the island and insure that everyone else would be able to move on. So Desmond is forcibly brought back to the island, but he's clearly thinking on a more advanced level. He knows about the next world - the flash-sideways, which he received a taste of in the strange generator - and he just wants to get back there.

Super Island Protector Jack and the Man in Black both know that Desmond's specialness is a sort of "secret weapon". As it turns out, he grants both of their wishes, as if he were the Magic Box. He begins to destroy the island like Flocke wants, and he makes Flocke mortal, like Jack wants. And for a considerably chunk of the finale, Desmond finds himself down a hole with some special energy while Jack and a John-esque entity watch him from above the shaft. I loved Jack's words to Flocke here; he basically says, "You're not John Locke and you are insulting a great man by wearing his face." Awesome dialogue.

I think a huge turn off was Judeo-Christian ending of accession to the next level. Throughout the entire show the combination of every religion coupled with science trying to explains these mystery's pushed me to do my own research.

The Noble Eightfold Path and the Dharmachakra. Diyu. Hinduism and the reincarnation. Taoism and the five elements. All the books easter eggs hidden in the show. And ultimately the science of space and time. It was everything an excellent story should be. Sci-fi at its best.

Sexecutioner
05-24-2010, 10:30 AM
just saw this somewhere else:

Everything that happened on the island was real, everything that happened in the flash backwards and forwards leading up to the Incident were real. Jacob put the plan in motion to find his successor, and the Oceanic survivors can't change it no matter how many times they try (whatever happened, happened). The bomb goes off, the incident happens, the bomb is the reason why Desmond must press the button, which in turn causes the plane to crash, and causes the events to happen anyway. Like Faraday said, they're all on a string. They can go forward on the string, or backwards, but they cannot jump from one string to another, they can only stay on that string. Jacob was working behind the scenes to bring these people to the island as the candidates, that all happened. Some left the island to live their full life (when Jack sees the plane leaving as he's dying), and some stayed and refused to move on (Michael still being on the island, never appearing in the FSU.)

With the FSU, they all created a purgatory that relived, and finally changed their fate. It was the only way to change the events that happened, even though no matter what you do, you can't change it. Its why Christian tells his son "whatever happened, happened." Its why they all realize they're past lives together, and why this purgatory exists, because in their lives, these moments, and the people in them, were the most significant part. Some on the island died before, some died way after (Hurley and Ben's talk outside of the church), but regardless, they all end up at the same place. Eventually Ben will join them as well, once he can finally let go, and be able to move on, as will Michael, Libby, Ana Lucia, Mr. Ecko, etc.

I think I like J's better though...that its all about constantly evolving and moving forward into better worlds.

captncrzy
05-24-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm trying to figure out how Kate explained surviving two plane crashes when she got back home.

Yes, I was in a plane crash on an island. I was found with other survivors. I came home and got on another plane three years later. That plane crashed. Now I'm back again.

J~$$$$
05-24-2010, 10:36 AM
I loved the very end showing peace and quiet. All that remained was symbols of lives gone by, time moving on. A plane crash on beach. I could imagine walking upon that scene not knowing anything prior and asking myself what was the story behind the crash.

captncrzy
05-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Or people stumbling onto a mystery like the Losties did with the Black Rock.

J~$$$$
05-24-2010, 10:40 AM
eggzactly.

hawkingvsreeve
05-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Pretty fucking stupid. It's okay, though, series held my interest for all this time. Should've ended with a war against the dharma people and then an escape. Nowhere near the level of Six Feet Under or the Wire as far as best show ever.

Or the West Wing.

sbessiso
05-24-2010, 10:47 AM
i did like all the Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time commercials during the broadcast

herro kitty
05-24-2010, 10:54 AM
I liked the Lost-based Target commercials! The keyboard one made me laugh out loud :)

fikus222
05-24-2010, 11:34 AM
I liked the Lost-based Target commercials! The keyboard one made me laugh out loud :)

That commercial was my favorite too.

I also like how they presented the messages from the fans.

shermanoaksyo
05-24-2010, 11:41 AM
Or the West Wing.

"Jed, what are you thinking about?" "Tomorrow."

hawkingvsreeve
05-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Seasons 1-4 are the best written show to ever air on television as far as I'm concerned.

Astrid
05-24-2010, 12:11 PM
at first i was very disappointed in what seemed to be an extremely huge ascension-to-a higher-power-judeo-christian-cop-out, but i think i was just drunk and pissed that it was over.

in retrospect i accept and maybe one day will fully appreciate the ending. but i do think its bullshit that certain essential elements of the story were not explained. i fucking resent that, a LOT. its just lazy writing

im going to start rewatching...maybe then i wont be so bitter.

thestripe
05-24-2010, 12:18 PM

Best show ever.

Yes. Love this show.

thestripe
05-24-2010, 12:21 PM
I can't wait to rewatch. The last 5 mins of the show was just whirlwind of things happening.

captncrzy
05-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Is anyone else pathetically refreshing DarkUFO waiting for Vozzek's post?

thestripe
05-24-2010, 12:22 PM
The Vozz finale. Can't wait.

shermanoaksyo
05-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Seasons 1-4 are the best written show to ever air on television as far as I'm concerned.

I prefer The Wire and The Sopranos but if your tastes tend towards the happy and snappy, you can't beat West Wing.

Gribbz
05-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I think The Wire is the best written show of all time.

fikus222
05-24-2010, 12:36 PM
I really enjoyed almost every season of the Wire. I especially enjoyed how the writers were able to immerse me in such a way that I often found myself rooting for, or at least caring about the bad guys (something the Sopranos never did for me). However, I was never as emotionally invested in the story or the characters as I was with LOST. Also, LOST's cinematography and production value was always top notch (with notable CGI exceptions of course), which counts for a lot in my book.

J~$$$$
05-24-2010, 12:59 PM
hahahaha

# Vozzek's recap is coming - please stop emailing me ;) In the meantime check out these other recaps of the Finale #lost about an hour ago Link

TomAz
05-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Did Gilligan and the Skipper make it off the island?

J~$$$$
05-24-2010, 01:15 PM
yuk yuk.

GET OFF MY ISLAND OLD MAN!

tessalasset
05-24-2010, 01:30 PM
I don't think I necessarily believe that they did die in the Oceanic crash and the flashbacks were them remembering their past lives and flash forwards their future lives. I like the idea more that they crashed, survived, lived out their whole island lives, died at some point in their life and they all made it to the church on time.

captncrzy
05-24-2010, 01:41 PM
I don't think I necessarily believe that they did die in the Oceanic crash and the flashbacks were them remembering their past lives and flash forwards their future lives. I like the idea more that they crashed, survived, lived out their whole island lives, died at some point in their life and they all made it to the church on time.

That's what I got out of it.

Blinken
05-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Did Gilligan and the Skipper make it off the island?

Nope they have to protect it now.

tessalasset
05-24-2010, 01:52 PM
http://www.movieline.com/2010/05/more-than-23-questions-about-the-lost-series-finale-answered.php?page=4

What was up with that final-final shot of the seemingly undisturbed Oceanic crash site over the end credits?
It was just a pretty picture!

Was that inserted so that we could could think, if we really wanted an alternate mindf*cky ending, that maybe no one survived the initial crash, and the whole show was afterlife?
No. No!

tessalasset
05-24-2010, 01:53 PM
OK, yeah, great, but wasn’t the island under water in the Flash Sideways?
Ssssh!

that, actually, yeah. can someone explain that?

Cancersticks1
05-24-2010, 01:57 PM
that, actually, yeah. can someone explain that?

Everybody dies eventually. Time doesn't exist in the afterlife, so eventually the island is destroyed.

J~$$$$
05-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Everybody dies eventually. Time doesn't exist in the afterlife, so eventually the island is destroyed.

I blame Hurley.

J~$$$$
05-24-2010, 02:06 PM
I want screen shots of the under water cave. Whats was written on the cork? Did the channels of water lead to the other areas of light.

tessalasset
05-24-2010, 02:11 PM

That kind of bums me out. I like thinking that the island always had a protector forever. Unless it's underwater because humanity died.

captncrzy
05-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Maybe only part of it sank (like the foot)? They did show pieces of the island sliding off into the water when the light was uncorked.

tessalasset
05-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Oooh I liked this.

http://www.theackattack.net/?p=1991#more-1991

Smokey’s real name, what was with the wreckage during the credits, and why was the weather so wonky?

May 24th, 2010 § 0

E!’s Watch with Kristin gave some answers to some burning questions we had about the finale last night!

In case you don’t feel like watching the whole video, this is what we learned…

1. The Man in Black’s name was Samuel, which means Man of God.
2. The person in the cabin that said “Help me” to Locke was the MIB in Christian Shephard’s form.
3. We will find out what happened to Walt on the DVD.
4. Jin was the Kwon on the cave ceiling (which I figured since Sun was a mother, which means she would have been crossed off)
5. The 108 in the Lighthouse was not important – that scene was merely to get Jack to the Lighthouse, and the number 108 held significance for the characters, so it got them to go.
6. The shot of the plane over the credits at the end was just B-roll of the original crash from Season 1 (I think it was just a little homage to the beach and the crash – I’ve heard some places didn’t see that image, which makes me think I’m right about this one.)
7. The Protector of the Island can change the weather, sometimes unconsciously, hence why Jack and Smokey fighting on the cliff was stormy, but as soon as he was gone, it was sunny again.

thestripe
05-24-2010, 02:20 PM

This is what I got from it. Also, I believe the Island was underwater in the Alt timeline because the Island was done with the Jack. This was Jack's final loop. His light was out. Case closed.

J~$$$$
05-24-2010, 02:21 PM
They know about protectors makin it rain, but cant tell us about more important shit?

J~$$$$
05-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Oh and another thing. Hows does that bitch Eloise get to jump around in time and know whats going on? She was always interfering with Desmond. She runs the lamp post/church.......conspiracy.

I cannot believe "I have to go back!" and revisit the entire series, but im up for it.

tessalasset
05-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Damn. In an interview from five hours ago, Nestor Carbonell said he watched the finale last night "across the street from the Jimmy Kimmel show with a lot of the cast and crew." Fuck. I wonder where they saw it. Possibly a screening at the Grauman's Chinese? Or in some special room at Hollywood & Highland. Damn.

atom heart
05-24-2010, 03:22 PM
My initial reaction was that was way too cheesy. Imagery wise, it could have been a lot less heavy handed. When Christian started his "you're dead" speech I felt like I fell off a ladder. But then it occurred to me that they hadn't been dead the WHOLE time and I felt a little better. Still kinda wanted to punch whoever thought glowy doors would be cool.

On the other hand, I loved that Hurley and Ben got to run the island more humanely, and got Desmond off the island and let the Ajira plane through. I loved that the B Team wasn't killed off in a totally uncermonious fashion.

There were a bunch of little things I really enjoyed, like Miles plucking a gray hair out of Richard's head, Ben pushing Hurley out of the way (they've had such a weird relationship), and the cliff fight.

But what I ended up not being able to stand at all is that none of the characters were fully able to redeem themselves in life. Ben spent how many years on island and he still hasn't made up for the shit he did while Sayid and Sawyer, who have murdered people, are inside? It pisses me off as much as the end of Narnia did.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2564/4033648783_3eeaf4330c.jpg

onwards and upwards my friends

digitaldragon03
05-24-2010, 03:23 PM
I want screen shots of the under water cave. Whats was written on the cork? Did the channels of water lead to the other areas of light.
One channel of light goes right under the Sahara.

tessalasset
05-24-2010, 03:31 PM
But what I ended up not being able to stand at all is that none of the characters were fully able to redeem themselves in life. Ben spent how many years on island and he still hasn't made up for the shit he did while Sayid and Sawyer, who have murdered people, are inside? It pisses me off as much as the end of Narnia did.

I don't know if it's necessarily making up for all the shit they've done in their lives. I think it's more having to realize what is most important to them in their lives. I think Ben still had to spend some more time with Alex before he wanted to move on. He was definitely enlightened and knew what was coming, I think he just chose that he wasn't ready. He had redeemed himself of his island history. I think the people you should be bringing up are Michael and Ana Lucia. Specifically Michael tho. He wasn't even in the alt time line. He is literally stuck on the island as a whisper. At least Ana Lucia is in the alt, if just not enlightened yet. She's almost ready.

BobCaygeon
05-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Maybe only part of it sank (like the foot)? They did show pieces of the island sliding off into the water when the light was uncorked.

I think that in the sideways they were experiencing their lives as if the island didn't exist, or rather had no effect on them. Island underwater, no Desmond neglecting to press the button, Flight 815 survives the turbulence.

J~$$$$
05-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Someone from Bad Robot's take on the Finale

Good stuff on here! I can finally throw in my two cents! I've had to bite my tongue for far too long. Also, hopefully I can answer some of John's questions about Dharma and the "pointless breadcrumbs" that really, weren't so pointless ...

First ...
The Island:

It was real. Everything that happened on the island that we saw throughout the 6 seasons was real. Forget the final image of the plane crash, it was put in purposely to f*&k with people's heads and show how far the show had come. They really crashed. They really survived. They really discovered Dharma and the Others. The Island keeps the balance of good and evil in the world. It always has and always will perform that role. And the Island will always need a "Protector". Jacob wasn't the first, Hurley won't be the last. However, Jacob had to deal with a malevolent force (MIB) that his mother, nor Hurley had to deal with. He created the devil and had to find a way to kill him -- even though the rules prevented him from actually doing so.

Thus began Jacob's plan to bring candidates to the Island to do the one thing he couldn't do. Kill the MIB. He had a huge list of candidates that spanned generations. Yet everytime he brought people there, the MIB corrupted them and caused them to kill one another. That was until Richard came along and helped Jacob understand that if he didn't take a more active role, then his plan would never work.

Enter Dharma -- which I'm not sure why John is having such a hard time grasping. Dharma, like the countless scores of people that were brought to the island before, were brought there by Jacob as part of his plan to kill the MIB. However, the MIB was aware of this plan and interferred by "corrupting" Ben. Making Ben believe he was doing the work of Jacob when in reality he was doing the work of the MIB. This carried over into all of Ben's "off-island" activities. He was the leader. He spoke for Jacob as far as they were concerned. So the "Others" killed Dharma and later were actively trying to kill Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley and all the candidates because that's what the MIB wanted. And what he couldn't do for himself.

Dharma was originally brought in to be good. But was turned bad by MIB's corruption and eventually destroyed by his pawn Ben. Now, was Dharma only brought there to help Jack and the other Canditates on their overall quest to kill Smokey? Or did Jacob have another list of Canidates from the Dharma group that we were never aware of? That's a question that is purposley not answered because whatever answer the writers came up with would be worse than the one you come up with for yourself. Still ... Dharma's purpose is not "pointless" or even vague. Hell, it's pretty blantent.

Still, despite his grand plan, Jacob wanted to give his "candidates" (our Lostaways) the one thing he, nor his brother, were ever afforded: free will. Hence him bringing a host of "candidates" through the decades and letting them "choose" which one would actually do the job in the end. Maybe he knew Jack would be the one to kill Flocke and that Hurley would be the protector in the end. Maybe he didn't. But that was always the key question of the show: Fate vs Free-will. Science vs Faith. Personally I think Jacob knew from the beginning what was going to happen and that everyone played a part over 6 seasons in helping Jack get to the point where he needed to be to kill Smokey and make Hurley the protector -- I know that's how a lot of the writers viewed it. But again, they won't answer that (nor should they) because that ruins the fun.

In the end, Jack got to do what he always wanted to do from the very first episode of the show: Save his fellow Lostaways. He got Kate and Sawyer off the island and he gave Hurley the purpose in life he'd always been missing. And, in Sideways world (which we'll get to next) he in fact saved everyone by helping them all move on ...

Now...

Sideways World:

Sideways world is where it gets really cool in terms of theology and metaphysical discussion (for me at least -- because I love history/religion theories and loved all the talks in the writer's room about it). Basically what the show is proposing is that we're all linked to certain people during our lives. Call them soulmates (though it's not exactly the best word). But these people we're linked to are with us duing "the most important moments of our lives" as Christian said. These are the people we move through the universe with from lifetime to lifetime. It's loosely based in Hinduisim with large doses of western religion thrown into the mix.

The conceit that the writers created, basing it off these religious philosophies, was that as a group, the Lostaways subconsciously created this "sideways" world where they exist in purgatory until they are "awakened" and find one another. Once they all find one another, they can then move on and move forward. In essence, this is the show's concept of the afterlife. According to the show, everyone creates their own "Sideways" purgatory with their "soulmates" throughout their lives and exist there until they all move on together. That's a beautiful notion. Even if you aren't religious or even spirtual, the idea that we live AND die together is deeply profound and moving.

It's a really cool and spirtual concept that fits the whole tone and subtext the show has had from the beginning. These people were SUPPOSED to be together on that plane. They were supposed to live through these events -- not JUST because of Jacob. But because that's what the universe or God (depending on how religious you wish to get) wanted to happen. The show was always about science vs faith -- and it ultimately came down on the side of faith. It answered THE core question of the series. The one question that has been at the root of every island mystery, every character backstory, every plot twist. That, by itself, is quite an accomplishment.

How much you want to extrapolate from that is up to you as the viewer. Think about season 1 when we first found the Hatch. Everyone thought that's THE answer! Whatever is down there is the answer! Then, as we discovered it was just one station of many. One link in a very long chain that kept revealing more, and more of a larger mosiac.

But the writer's took it even further this season by contrasting this Sideways "purgatory" with the Island itself. Remember when Michael appeared to Hurley, he said he was not allowed to leave the Island. Just like the MIB. He wasn't allowed into this sideways world and thus, was not afforded the opportunity to move on. Why? Because he had proven himself to be unworthy with his actions on the Island. He failed the test. The others, passed. They made it into Sideways world when they died -- some before Jack, some years later. In Hurley's case, maybe centuries later. They exist in this sideways world until they are "awakened" and they can only move on TOGETHER because they are linked. They are destined to be together for eternity. That was their destiny.

They were NOT linked to Anna Lucia, Daniel, Roussou, Alex, Miles, Lupidis, (and all the rest who weren't in the chuch -- basically everyone who wasn't in season 1). Yet those people exist in Sideways world. Why? Well again, here's where they leave it up to you to decide. The way I like to think about it, is that those people who were left behind in Sideways world have to find their own soulmates before they can wake up. It's possible that those links aren't people from the island but from their other life (Anna's parnter, the guy she shot --- Roussou's husband, etc etc).

A lot of people have been talking about Ben and why he didn't go into the Church. And if you think of Sideways world in this way, then it gives you the answer to that very question. Ben can't move on yet because he hasn't connected with the people he needs to. It's going to be his job to awaken Roussou, Alex, Anna Lucia (maybe), Ethan, Goodspeed, his father and the rest. He has to attone for his sins more than he did by being Hurley's number two. He has to do what Hurley and Desmond did for our Lostaways with his own people. He has to help them connect. And he can only move on when all the links in his chain are ready to. Same can be said for Faraday, Charlotte, Whidmore, Hawkins etc. It's really a neat, and cool concept. At least to me.

But, from a more "behind the scenes" note: the reason Ben's not in the church, and the reason no one is in the church but for Season 1 people is because they wrote the ending to the show after writing the pilot. And never changed it. The writers always said (and many didn't believe them) that they knew their ending from the very first episode. I applaud them for that. It's pretty fantastic. Originally Ben was supposed to have a 3 episode arc and be done. But he became a big part of the show. They could have easily changed their ending and put him in the church -- but instead they problem solved it. Gave him a BRILLIANT moment with Locke outside the church ... and then that was it. I loved that. For those that wonder -- the original ending started the moment Jack walked into the church and touches the casket to Jack closing his eyes as the other plane flies away. That was always JJ's ending. And they kept it.

For me the ending of this show means a lot. Not only because I worked on it, but because as a writer it inspired me in a way the medium had never done before. I've been inspired to write by great films. Maybe too many to count. And there have been amazing TV shows that I've loved (X-Files, 24, Sopranos, countless 1/2 hour shows). But none did what LOST did for me. None showed me that you could take huge risks (writing a show about faith for network TV) and stick to your creative guns and STILL please the audience. I learned a lot from the show as a writer. I learned even more from being around the incredible writers, producers, PAs, interns and everyone else who slaved on the show for 6 years.

In the end, for me, LOST was a touchstone show that dealt with faith, the afterlife, and all these big, spirtual questions that most shows don't touch. And to me, they never once waivered from their core story -- even with all the sci-fi elements they mixed in. To walk that long and daunting of a creative tightrope and survive is simply astounding.

digitaldragon03
05-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Saw this on another forum...Lost in 7 sentences.

It is a meta-narrative of life, even though in reality it was likely just bunch of crap thrown at a wall without any real conclusive direction on the part of the writers.

Each of us "crashes" onto this world without being given the choice to end up here. Along the way, a bunch of crazy **** happens, much pain and turmoil occurs. However, as a result of these struggles, we form tight bonds with those who share our experiences. All the while, we do not know where we are ultimately headed. A lot of questions prop up over our time in existence, most of which will never be answered before we cease to exist. At the end, the questions cease to matter as much as the relationships we have formed with the other people we have shared countless years trying to make sense of it all...

Perfect.

atom heart
05-24-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't know if it's necessarily making up for all the shit they've done in their lives. I think it's more having to realize what is most important to them in their lives. I think Ben still had to spend some more time with Alex before he wanted to move on. He was definitely enlightened and knew what was coming, I think he just chose that he wasn't ready. He had redeemed himself of his island history.

My problem is that the characters couldn't use the growth they experienced in the Sideways. They were dead! I mean, they could use their knowledge to "keep going", but that's not satisfying to me. I can imagine that Ben while alive did the best he could to be a good sidekick and keep everyone on island happy, but ultimately it wasn't enough. I dunno, it rang a little hollow to me. Maybe I'm still a little sore that everyone could have a good ending only when they were dead.

thestripe
05-24-2010, 04:05 PM
EDIT: nevermind doesn't work.

thestripe
05-24-2010, 04:09 PM

This is great.

thestripe
05-24-2010, 04:18 PM
And whatever Kate hate I had built up over the years was washed away last night. "I've been waiting for you for so long" warmed my heart.

J~$$$$
05-24-2010, 04:39 PM
My problem is that the characters couldn't use the growth they experienced in the Sideways. They were dead! I mean, they could use their knowledge to "keep going", but that's not satisfying to me. I can imagine that Ben while alive did the best he could to be a good sidekick and keep everyone on island happy, but ultimately it wasn't enough. I dunno, it rang a little hollow to me. Maybe I'm still a little sore that everyone could have a good ending only when they were dead.

Maybe Ben was the reason the island was under water.

MuseRadio
05-24-2010, 04:40 PM
This was a great show...but I still insist the best shows ever are Sopranos and The Wire. Anyone who hasnt seem them needs to do so NOW

J~$$$$
05-24-2010, 04:43 PM
You should take it to the sopranos or wire thread.

Blinken
05-24-2010, 04:51 PM
This was a great show...but I still insist the best shows ever are Sopranos and The Wire. Anyone who hasnt seem them needs to do so NOW

Really? I have never heard of those before, good thing you told me to go watch them. Same with Treme, too bad I was watching the Lost finale last night though. HBO never shows replays, miss the first airing and you are fucked.

chairmenmeow47
05-24-2010, 04:55 PM
And whatever Kate hate I had built up over the years was washed away last night. "I've been waiting for you for so long" warmed my heart.

i've always felt somewhat defensive of kate. i do find the love triangle stuff & her overly self-sacrificing nature to be irritating, but in general kate gets shit done. subtle things like when a guard falls she'll instantly think to get the keys. which may come from a life of crime, but at least she does it instead of contemplating how to hold it over someone's head like sawyer would.

when someone needed to go into the jungle, kate didn't spend time talking about it, she went out there. she knew how to travel alone. let's face it, how many women on that island would have been able to make it across the jungle without screaming their brains out?

the only times i really found her irritating was when she was withholding information due to her own fears & when she seemed to be too willing to throw herself under the bus. i completely agree those actions were annoying.

tessalasset
05-24-2010, 05:02 PM
While I love that Bad Robot guy's recap, it really bothers me that after spending 6 years on the show, he still can't spell half the characters' names correctly. Also, did he forget that Juliet was in the church? She definitely wasn't in season 1.

MuseRadio
05-24-2010, 05:06 PM
You should take it to the sopranos or wire thread.

Fuck you. BOth these shows were mentioned earlier in the thread and I'm just comparing Lost to them on overall quality so its totally relevant. Learn some manners.

Trashcan_alligator
05-24-2010, 05:09 PM
sideways flash was lost's version of Tony's coma at the beginning of the last season of Sopranos.

tessalasset
05-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Chill, Doctor.

chairmenmeow47
05-24-2010, 05:14 PM

thanks so much for posting.

i love this (spelling error and all):

Even if you aren't religious or even spirtual, the idea that we live AND die together is deeply profound and moving.

and, this kind of bothers me:

But, from a more "behind the scenes" note: the reason Ben's not in the church, and the reason no one is in the church but for Season 1 people is because they wrote the ending to the show after writing the pilot. And never changed it. The writers always said (and many didn't believe them) that they knew their ending from the very first episode... That was always JJ's ending. And they kept it.

if it's always been the ending, i hope that doesn't mean that at some point the island itself was purgatory. i just wonder what other paths they could have taken to get to this point.

also, tessa's right. juliet was in the church. so was libby. WHY WASN'T WALT!?

this really helps put things in perspective; i'm glad this was written.

tessalasset
05-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Yeah they could have brought Malcolm David Kelley back for one final episode. I wonder why they didn't put him in the church. Maybe he couldn't go until his dad had figured his shit out and could join him?

Blinken
05-24-2010, 06:04 PM
I really don't think Walt belonged in the Church. Just like the other kids he went on to have his own life with his own challenges and tests. These people were not the most important people to him in the long run.

BobCaygeon
05-24-2010, 06:15 PM
G2q8a8X7i_0

Some interesting comments from Darlton. (I'm only up to Part 7.)

I read into this that Walt wasn't in the finale was because he's six feet tall now.

bballarl
05-24-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm convinced Walt would have been what Desmond was if the actor didn't grow up so fast.

tessalasset
05-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Blinken your explanation made the most sense to me.

malcolmjamalawesome
05-24-2010, 06:48 PM
This discussion is 100x smarter than the one on Ain't It Cool.

CrimesceneCookie
05-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Like that's saying anything... they still fight over being "first" there.

tessalasset
05-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Bob thanks for linking these vids. I'm on 4 right now. Really cool so far.

BobCaygeon
05-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Bob thanks for linking these vids. I'm on 4 right now. Really cool so far.

We just finished them ourselves. Wait until you see the special guest stars!

I'm going to miss their podcast. Those two guys are very entertaining.

tessalasset
05-24-2010, 08:40 PM
PS Why did Carlton just say we see Walt in the finale? Did we see him?

bballarl
05-24-2010, 08:43 PM
In a flashback. With Locke. Or not a flashback, but an awakening. Whatever we want to call it now.

tessalasset
05-24-2010, 08:57 PM
God I don't remember that at all.

chairmenmeow47
05-24-2010, 09:31 PM
lost party pics!!! there's lots, sorry :)

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs607.snc3/31984_129358570412466_100000149721397_350795_66525 2_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs637.snc3/31984_129358580412465_100000149721397_350796_73484 45_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs637.snc3/31984_129358587079131_100000149721397_350797_14903 06_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs547.ash1/31984_129358603745796_100000149721397_350798_34004 54_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs547.ash1/31984_129358613745795_100000149721397_350801_15471 19_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs637.snc3/31984_129358637079126_100000149721397_350806_27463 88_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs607.snc3/31984_129358650412458_100000149721397_350809_25133 3_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs607.snc3/31984_129358663745790_100000149721397_350811_86419 3_n.jpg

my shirt isn't finished :(

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs607.snc3/31984_129358693745787_100000149721397_350815_11445 04_n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs607.snc3/31984_129358697079120_100000149721397_350816_73389 65_n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs637.snc3/31984_129358743745782_100000149721397_350825_51804 8_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs547.ash1/31984_129358750412448_100000149721397_350826_58740 39_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs637.snc3/31984_129358753745781_100000149721397_350827_17233 89_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs547.ash1/31984_129358733745783_100000149721397_350823_20350 45_n.jpg

sbessiso
05-24-2010, 11:16 PM
hahahahah are those "fish biscuits"?

tessalasset
05-25-2010, 01:07 AM
Wow, this is almost shot for shot.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2y8d1Uxv71qzzta5o1_500.jpg

tessalasset
05-25-2010, 01:28 AM
Hah I just found out in this video (http://www.hulu.com/watch/151657/jimmy-kimmel-live-audience-qa-with-the-cast-of-lost?c=566:669) that Daniel Day Kim opened up a Hawaiian franchise of The Counter, a really good hamburger place. That's awesome.

tessalasset
05-25-2010, 02:37 AM
Here (http://twitter.com/darkufo) are a shit ton of people's theories about the end.

Ardentbiscuit
05-25-2010, 07:09 AM
I love pseudo religious cop out endings.

J~$$$$
05-25-2010, 07:20 AM
Its been this ending since day one. Jack returning to the same spot and dying. I do wish the got rid of the sideways timeline or wrote it with less heavy handed religious aspects.

J~$$$$
05-25-2010, 07:22 AM
God I don't remember that at all.

Question about the ‘Lost’ finale: I thought we were supposed to see Walt one last time? Did something change? – Craig
You perhaps got wind of what ‘Lost’ boss Carlton Cuse said at last week’s Times Talk Live event: “You will actually see Malcolm [David Kelley], when all is said and done.” But he wasn’t necessarily referring to the series finale that was broadcast on Sunday. So yes, they did find a way to reintroduce (a grown) Walt, but you’ll have to wait for the Season 6 DVD extras.

My friends and I are debating the significance of the wreckage shown during the ‘Lost’ finale’s closing credits. Was that the plane Lapidus was flying everyone off the island on? Or was that Oceanic 815, meaning everyone died in the original crash? – Leah
It was C) Not quite any of the above. While many have sought to read something into the serene image of the Oceanic 815 wreckage, sources assure me that coda was chosen strictly to serve as a “buffer” between the finale’s mind-bending final act and the local newscast to come.

captncrzy
05-25-2010, 07:34 AM
Fuck you. Learn some manners.

No need to be even more of a douche. We're discussing LOST, not the Sopranos or the Wire. There are threads for those.

thestripe
05-25-2010, 07:42 AM
Fuck that. The ending was perfect, sideways and all. Just finished watching it again with Mrs. The. Waterworks central.

thestripe
05-25-2010, 07:51 AM
Also, the Vozz is going to have a field day writing about the water pooring over Jack after he puts the cork back in.

chairmenmeow47
05-25-2010, 08:24 AM
i'm re-watching tonight. less drunk this time. hopefully we'll have time for kimmel too.

i812many
05-25-2010, 08:31 AM
PS Why did Carlton just say we see Walt in the finale? Did we see him?

I read that we get an explanation on the bonus content on the blu rays.

donkey sex
05-25-2010, 08:43 AM
still crying

but for something unrelated to this

Sexecutioner
05-25-2010, 12:24 PM

wow, that was great. but yea, the fact that juliette and libby are there kind of ruin his claim about keeping the same ending they wrote in season 1, however since those characters were very important to the main characters, the meaning behind it still works i guess.

so this guy was a writer on the show? i thought all the writers were supposed to keep their mouths shut so as to leave it open for interpretation, but this guy is just basically telling us exactly what it's all supposed to mean?

J~$$$$
05-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Maybe it was just a lackey at bad robot, but it came from darkufo. So I would hope they did their research.

Sexecutioner
05-25-2010, 01:19 PM
party pics:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w135/sexecutioner1666/Lost010.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w135/sexecutioner1666/Lost008.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w135/sexecutioner1666/Lost005.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w135/sexecutioner1666/Lost011.jpg

chairmenmeow47
05-25-2010, 01:21 PM
awesome!!! i want some dharmajuana!

Sexecutioner
05-25-2010, 01:29 PM
nothing better than smokin a bowl while listening to my favorite song:

kuQba4inleQ

J~$$$$
05-25-2010, 01:35 PM
I fucking hate that I get that song stuck in my head.

You All Everybody.You All Everybody.You All Everybody.You All Everybody.You All Everybody.You All Everybody.

Did that marijuana label come the site you posted earlier?

GnarVee
05-25-2010, 01:54 PM
such a win with the nug dharma jar 4Ransom!

Sexecutioner
05-25-2010, 02:00 PM
haha, thanks guys.

nope, label didnt come from that site. it was a dharma beer label that i photoshopped.

Cancersticks1
05-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Just dawned on me, Miles escaped the island with the diamonds. Haha!

tessalasset
05-25-2010, 02:46 PM
This was pretty great, although a lot of these were answered and others just really don't fucking matter.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1936291

rage patton
05-25-2010, 04:01 PM
LALALALA NOT READING ANYTHING!...

What is up with Locke!?!? One minute I am sure he is bad, then he is good again.

Also, where the fuck did Clair come from? I have to go to work so I can't watch the next episode! I want to skip work to watch it now. Argggghhhhhhh! (Just watched episode 14)

EDIT: Also, Nice Avatar Tessa. When I saw Locke do that it made me smile.

invisiblerobots
05-25-2010, 04:17 PM
With all the hype I would have thought that it would have placed higher up on the most watched finales list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-watched_television_broadcasts#Most-watched_series_finales) than 55. Seriously, Major Dad? Jake and the Fatman?!

cradlerobber
05-25-2010, 04:30 PM
awesome!!! i want some dharmajuana!

Me too!

captncrzy
05-25-2010, 04:33 PM
I just rewatched the last 15 minutes.

Yeah. If you weren't moved in some way by the closure of the character stories and/or the meaning behind their relationships, you have no soul.

BobCaygeon
05-25-2010, 04:49 PM
With all the hype I would have thought that it would have placed higher up on the most watched finales list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-watched_television_broadcasts#Most-watched_series_finales) than 55. Seriously, Major Dad? Jake and the Fatman?!

It must have something to do with (1) the declining audience for TV in general and (2) the difficulty jumping into a show you maybe haven't watched in some time.

I remember having no trouble jumping into the Jake and the Fatman finale, but I'll admit I was confused by the resolution of the sideways timeline. Was Jake actually the Fatman? I'm still confused.

captncrzy
05-25-2010, 04:53 PM

Further proof that a great majority of the population are functioning retards.

tessalasset
05-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Also, look at all the shows they beat. That's pretty impressive. Especially considering Lost is a religious and science fiction show, not a broad family show like a lot of the ones at top. But yeah, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that people just don't really watch live TV as much anymore. Look at fucking M*A*S*H. Could you imagine a third of the country tuning in for a tv show nowadays?

J~$$$$
05-25-2010, 08:08 PM
The ratings are so flawed. The Internet makes up for so many viewers. I considered watching it commercial free. The internationial viewership is also huge.

captncrzy
05-25-2010, 08:08 PM
There's also more programming than ever.

When I was a kid, we had CBS, NBC, ABC, a couple of local channels, and ON TV.

invisiblerobots
05-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Yeah, there's certainly a fractioned market these days and I'm not sure how all the other viewing opportunities (abc.com, hulu, torrents, etc.) work into that. Obviously these numbers mean the most to advertisers and I have no doubt that a large audience will latch on (or rewatch all over again) once the entire set is out on DVD in August. Lord knows I had to wait years to get my Mr. Belvedere discs.

bballarl
05-25-2010, 08:22 PM
There was TV when you were a kid?

Just kidding. Just kidding!

captncrzy
05-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Ok, so this is interesting. We know that, in the scripts (but never revealed on TV) that the MIB's name is Samuel. Someone on Dark UFO pointed out that there is an archangel named Samael.

In Jewish lore, Samael is said to be the angel of death, the chief ruler of the Fifth Heaven and one of the seven regents of the world served by two million angels; he resides in the Seventh Heaven. Yalkut I, 110 of the Talmud speaks of Samael as Esau's guardian angel. In Sotah 10b, Samael is Esau's guardian angel, and in the Sayings of Rabbi Eliezer, he is charged with being the one who tempted Eve, then seduced and impregnated her with Cain. Though some sources identify Gadreel as the angel that seduced Eve, other Hebrew scholars say that it was Samael who tempted Eve in the guise of the Serpent. Samael is also sometimes identified as being the angelic antagonist who wrestled with Jacob, and also the angel who held back the arm of Abraham as he was about to sacrifice his son.

invisiblerobots
05-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Leave it to those hack writers to misspell a character's name.

invisiblerobots
05-25-2010, 09:06 PM
I remember having no trouble jumping into the Jake and the Fatman finale, but I'll admit I was confused by the resolution of the sideways timeline. Was Jake actually the Fatman? I'm still confused.

Wo4qOB4WCys

nationocean
05-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Must be reposted:

nationocean
05-25-2010, 09:49 PM
/and yes i have no soul.

fuck religion and badly written tv shows.

tessalasset
05-26-2010, 12:29 AM
I'm listening to Jorge Garcia's podcast (http://darkufo.blogspot.com/2010/05/episode-617618-end-jorge-garcia-podcast.html) about The End, and he just said when they were first rehearsing the scene where Locke stabs Jack, Locke was supposed to use two different knives, and switch to a collapsible one when he actually stabs Jack, obviously. They were also trying out different pads underneath Jack's clothes, and at one point they were saying let's just rehearse it without the pad once cause it looks really awkward underneath your shirt, but the stunt coordinator was like no, we should use a pad cause even collapsible knives hurt when they stab you. So they put on a pad, Locke forgets to switch, and stabs him with the real knife. And out of all the pads they had on set, only one had Kevlar, which just happened to be the one he put on. Any other pad and he would have been stabbed in the stomach for real.

tessalasset
05-26-2010, 01:31 AM
So I would like to make a lot of these awesome JPGs (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28863833@N07/sets/) into posters. Does anyone know if a place like kinkos can do that and if they sell poster-quality paper? How hard would that be to do?

Trashcan_alligator
05-26-2010, 01:35 AM
this show is kind of a lot more awesome now that it's over and people who worked on it can start speaking informatively about what the fuck was actually supposed to be happening.

apostle2
05-26-2010, 06:03 AM
Must be reposted:

at LEAST half of those questions were answered.

chairmenmeow47
05-26-2010, 07:13 AM
I'm listening to Jorge Garcia's podcast (http://darkufo.blogspot.com/2010/05/episode-617618-end-jorge-garcia-podcast.html) about The End, and he just said when they were first rehearsing the scene where Locke stabs Jack, Locke was supposed to use two different knives, and switch to a collapsible one when he actually stabs Jack, obviously. They were also trying out different pads underneath Jack's clothes, and at one point they were saying let's just rehearse it without the pad once cause it looks really awkward underneath your shirt, but the stunt coordinator was like no, we should use a pad cause even collapsible knives hurt when they stab you. So they put on a pad, Locke forgets to switch, and stabs him with the real knife. And out of all the pads they had on set, only one had Kevlar, which just happened to be the one he put on. Any other pad and he would have been stabbed in the stomach for real.

i cannot believe shit like this happens. my dad was working on a movie set once when one of the guns went off. it shot a woman in the leg, but thankfully the movie was a western and she had a super thick skirt on with lots of layers and she wasn't hurt too bad. fucking insane. YOU'RE PLAYING WITH KNIVES, ACT LIKE IT!!!

Dogvolta
05-26-2010, 07:25 AM
at LEAST half of those questions were answered.

Really?

J~$$$$
05-26-2010, 07:31 AM
http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web04/2010/5/26/10/anigif_how-lost-should-have-ended-13781-1274883680-42.gif

chairmenmeow47
05-26-2010, 07:34 AM
the college humor video cracks me up. i love how angry this show makes us.

adorable j$$$

apostle2
05-26-2010, 08:14 AM
Really?

yes.

Dogvolta
05-26-2010, 10:01 AM
yes.

Oh.

EDIT: double post sorry

Did anyone here read the timelooptheory.com in the past? I read it around season 3, and let me tell you, that theory had EVERY. SINGLE. DETAIL. covered to perfection. It made me so very excited for the show and how it was going to play out.
It was thee most valid theory I've ever read on Lost. It is almost as if that was the original "script" they were going with, then ABC said "no give us 3 more seasons", and all bets were out the window.
That theory even nailed down the fucking polar bear. Reading through this theory again makes SO much more sense and is way more satisfying imo. Only problem is it has to exclude seasons 3.5 and up, so, so much for that.

captncrzy
05-26-2010, 12:15 PM
This is lovely (from a Dark UFO theory)

I would like, if I may, to share a personal story with you all. Ten years ago, my father died of lung cancer. Towards the end, he was a shadow of his former self. Hospitalised and on morphine, I watched my father every day go closer and closer towards the inevitable. One night, we received a phone call from the hospital, we were to come in straight away as he had taken a turn for the worse and was not expected to last the night.

At around 4am, we were all gathered around his bedside when my father woke suddenly. I watched in horror as a man so weak and riddled with pain, thrashed and tried to get out of bed. He was smiling and tears were pouring down his face. "it's so beautiful"', he kept shouting. "The light, let me go to it". At this point, the nurses rushed in and gave him something to calm him down. They explained the morphine may have been making him hallucinate. My logical mind processed this yet my mother was deeply shaken and went alone to the hospital chapel to pray. Unbeknown to myself, my mother was praying for more time, she begged God with all her heart for just a little more time.

At around 9am the next day, my father awoke, sat up in bed and said he was starving and wanted a cooked breakfast. I was dumbfounded. The doctors had been so certain that this was it, and here was my father looking better than I had seen him in weeks. The doctor, who we had got to know so well, quipped that my father had a strong constitution and did a remarkable impression of Lazarus.

For the next 4 days, I had my father back. He had a calm about him that was almost unearthly. My mother feels those 4 days were some of the best she had with him and was blessed to have. Eventually, a heart attack took my father due to the pressure the cancer was placing on him and he died almost instantly. Maybe my mother received her extra time, just not in the way she expected.

For the record, I am logical, I believe in science, but that night in the hospital, will live on in my mind for the rest of my life. It has changed my beliefs and the experience of it, whether it was my father witnessing a divine presence or the release of chemicals in the brain, has made me into a better, more considerate, compassionate person as a result of it.

And this is why the Lost Finale brought me to tears. I literally sat and sobbed. I don't think I have ever cried that hard. It was like a release. A cathartic TV experience akin to being at a funeral. Yes, questions remained unanswered, mysteries unsolved but wasn't that the point. There are mysteries in all our lives, as I have just demonstrated, that will never be answered. We just have to interpret the best way we can. Some people will use science, others will attribute faith.

Maybe you didn't like the spirituality of the ending or felt it was a cop out. However, millions did. It was beautifully shot. More importantly, it left people with questions about their own existence and the nature of life and death. The survivors were lost in the world, not lost on this island. They were broken flawed people. The finale brought them full circle, resolved with their issues and into the light. It spoke of redemption for all and the possibility of finding peace in yourself.

As for the some of the questions left by the show that fans obsess over, here are my personal answers to some of them that the series overall hinted at during it’s run:

Why cant’ children be born on the Island?
Ethan was the last child to be seen born on the island without problem in the 1970’s. Since the incident took place in 1977, I always assumed that the fallout from this had caused a problem in fertility and pregnancy on the island, hence Juliet’s presence on the island as a fertility doctor from 2004 onwards. Never looked too hard into this mystery beyond that. Not really key to the story arc in anyway or not enough to impact my enjoyment of it.

Supply drops?
Sine they spent considerable time in Season 4 setting up that time did not work right and passed by at different speeds on the island. I simply took the supply drop as a wonky reinforcement of that. Due to the various time flashes in season 4/5, the island was pretty unstable a lot of the time, particularly in the 70’s when dharma was most active. I just assumed that a supply drop got caught during a time flash in this period and dropped the load 30 years later than expected. Again, thats how my imagination explained it and it was good enough for me

What happened to Cindy and the Kids?
Fairly obvious they were still on the island, as were Rose ad Bernard. Hurley and Ben had to have someone to teach and lead. The people that were left became Hurley’s new followers, who taught them a new, different, relaxed way of living. In my head, plenty of golf was involved.

Who broke the circle of ash around the cabin?
My imagination said it was Claire. MIB was trapped inside and led Claire away in the night with the express purpose of getting her to break the circle, so that he could be released. Prior to being released from the cabin, he could only take the form of smoke or manipulate through the images of others. Being released from the cabin allowed him to carry out his loophole and take a human body again.

I would have to write a book to go through all the answers I have come up with in my imagination to explain the world of Lost. But this is what makes Lost unique. It allows your imagination to thrive. Millions of fans will interpret all these questions differently and is what will guarantee Lost a place in the TV Hall of Fame. The people who moan and complain are the same people who watch 2001 and want a direct explanation of what the monolith is and where it came from and exactly how it works and what it does. Does Arthur C Clarke and Kubrick not giving these answers directly make it any less a book and movie classic?

In a world dominated by shows like Big Brother and other mindless crap, I find it awe inspiring that a show like Lost can explore these themes and make people think about the life they live. Maybe I liked it because it gave me a sense of hope that somehow, someway, we all carry on. Live together, die alone was the motto throughout the show but the finale turned that on it's head. Just as my family and friend gathered to be around my father at the end, nobody does it alone.

rage patton
05-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Dammit! I was going to cave and get a Netflix acount... only to find out Netflix is only available in the US! FML.

I.F.A.
05-26-2010, 12:31 PM
This is lovely (from a Dark UFO theory)

Very nice, thanks for posting. I agree with a lot of what was said there.

Dogvolta
05-26-2010, 01:18 PM
I forget what season it was in, but didn't we learn that people HAD to leave the island from very specific coordinates to make it out safely/alive?
How come that wasn't the case in the finale?

chairmenmeow47
05-26-2010, 01:21 PM
because the island was being destroyed. the rules were changed. everyone became mortal and the island was destroyed. i assume all rules, such as the bearing thing, would cease at that point.

stuporfly
05-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Lost fans are really hypersensitive. I wrote an admittedly goofy piece for a website this week about how I'd watched the finale after only having ever seen part of the pilot way back when it originally aired, and people got pretty upset.

chairmenmeow47
05-26-2010, 01:47 PM
i'd punch you if i could!

tessalasset
05-26-2010, 01:53 PM
I forget what season it was in, but didn't we learn that people HAD to leave the island from very specific coordinates to make it out safely/alive?
How come that wasn't the case in the finale?

Jacob set those rules about people leaving. Once Hurley became the protector, he could set his own rules, like Ben said. Obviously he wanted his friends to get off the island.

stuporfly
05-26-2010, 02:07 PM
i'd punch you if i could!

Suppress that rage now and it'll explode should we ever actually say hello in person.

captncrzy
05-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Somehow an Ivy/Crispin standoff doesn't sound fun.

chairmenmeow47
05-26-2010, 02:18 PM
you're right. i'd obliterate him so quickly it would be boring.

captncrzy
05-26-2010, 02:21 PM
I just don't see Crispin fighting. It would be like Grover fighting.

I.F.A.
05-26-2010, 02:40 PM
My money is always on Ivy in a fight.

ivankay
05-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Lost fans are really hypersensitive. I wrote an admittedly goofy piece for a website this week about how I'd watched the finale after only having ever seen part of the pilot way back when it originally aired, and people got pretty upset.

i feel like some sort of psychic. i tried to stop you.

10 bucks on Ivy.

stuporfly
05-26-2010, 02:43 PM
i feel like some sort of psychic. i tried to stop you.

10 bucks on Ivy.

That's right - You were the lone voice of reason, too! As I'm picking up my teeth on some unspecified day in the future, I'll be wishing I'd listened.

digitaldragon03
05-26-2010, 02:47 PM
http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web04/2010/5/26/10/anigif_how-lost-should-have-ended-13781-1274883680-42.gif
Gold.

Mr. Dylanja
05-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Ivy doesn't fight, she beats bitches up!

captncrzy
05-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Vozzek's post is up. Not goign to post here, too long

http://darkufo.blogspot.com/2010/05/things-i-noticed-end-by-vozzek69.html#more

chairmenmeow47
05-26-2010, 03:49 PM
THANK YOU JEN!

*shows off the gun show*

still reading, what the fuck are shippers?!??!

stuporfly
05-26-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm a bleeder.

Sexecutioner
05-26-2010, 04:07 PM
jesus christ, why does he always have to write a fuckin novel. i like reading his summaries, but man i wish they were shorter. i got shit to do, i cant spend all day reading lost theories.

captncrzy
05-26-2010, 04:13 PM
THANK YOU JEN!

*shows off the gun show*

still reading, what the fuck are shippers?!??!

relation"shippers".

cansei de ser sexme
05-26-2010, 04:20 PM
So if the Hydrogen bomb didn't necessarily create the alt universe, then what did it do? And what is the underwater island scene from the first episode of this season?

chairmenmeow47
05-26-2010, 04:21 PM
relation"shippers"? i'm in a relationship, does that make me a shipper?

i think it just killed juliet. that'd be my guess at least.

LOVE THIS

When we're finally shown the cave, it's not nearly as bright as it once was. I took this to mean that perhaps some of the light got trapped within the smoke monster during its creation. Maybe that's also why it's so important that the monster never leaves: the heart of the island has accidentally been tied up within him.

NicoDread
05-26-2010, 04:37 PM
So if the Hydrogen bomb didn't necessarily create the alt universe, then what did it do?

i don't think the bomb went off. just that the timeline was somehow reconciled by drilling into the "energy pocket."

digitaldragon03
05-26-2010, 04:49 PM
The hydrogen bomb just made everyone time travel back to 2007. The island was underwater because presumably someone did sink the island sometime in the future, but it was mostly there just to have you believe that this was an alternate universe.

JustSteve
05-26-2010, 04:51 PM

that's how i watched the series, too. although, i think i made it through the first 2 episodes.

Blinken
05-26-2010, 04:55 PM
So if the Hydrogen bomb didn't necessarily create the alt universe, then what did it do? And what is the underwater island scene from the first episode of this season?

It stopped the release of the energy at the heart of the island. When Jack uncorked the Island the built up energy was just released like a dam being destroyed. Radzinsky was going to release the same energy just from a different spot. The nuclear bomb provided enough energy to close the hole that was opened. This always happened and was actually the Incident.

I like to think that the same thing happened when the button was not pushed. The failsafe key was a nuke that closed the hole. Somehow the Dharma folk found a way to do research on the energy without releasing it all, just in small controlled amounts. Maybe every 108 minutes they needed to close the small hole and let the energy built up release. Then it slowly fills up the containment device again for another 108 minutes.

IMO the purge was the last resort the Dharma people would just not stop messing with the heart of the Island. But they kept a couple people behind to man the containment system. This is why they were still doing food drops, Jacob let it happen to keep the light contained.

rage patton
05-26-2010, 06:24 PM
If anyone can find me a working link for Season One: Episode 24 (Exodus Part II) I will be eternally greatful! I can't find one anywhere! :S

GnarVee
05-26-2010, 06:44 PM
If anyone can find me a working link for Season One: Episode 24 (Exodus Part II) I will be eternally greatful! I can't find one anywhere! :S

http://eztvlinks.com/lost-season-1-episode-24-exodus-part-2/

chairmenmeow47
05-26-2010, 06:51 PM
still reading, but i noticed this too:

"Where are we, dad?" Jack asks, echoing Charlie's infamous question from season one. "This is a place that you all made together, so that you could find each other", Christian explains (note his use of the word 'you' and not 'we')

christian goes through the door by himself. and everyone stays seated even as he walks through. it just seems odd.

rage patton
05-26-2010, 06:56 PM
http://eztvlinks.com/lost-season-1-episode-24-exodus-part-2/

I appreciate the effort... but this is only viewable in the US. I tried downloading the regional viewer, but it didn't work.

EDIT: FOUND ONE! HUZZAH!

tessalasset
05-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Dammit josh just torrent already.

That Voz recap was fantastic.

tessalasset
05-27-2010, 01:36 AM
I'm skimming through our old posts in here. Memory lane.

tessalasset
05-27-2010, 01:38 AM
yes i did see him in 300 and i thought he was creepily gay. really really extremely didn't like him and it made me laugh sometimes. it made me sad that he is the only actor from lost who i've actually met and spoken with.

oh my god, i completely forgot i met paolo!!!! he came to the first detour fest in downtown la and i sold him a ticket. it was before his season started and he was shocked i knew he was going to be on it. i fucking met one of the most hated characters on lost before he was hated. that's awesome.

Blinken
05-27-2010, 08:58 AM
The season 6 DVD is going to have a 12-14 minute epilogue about Hurley and Ben's time running the island. :D

captncrzy
05-27-2010, 09:08 AM
LOL YEAHHH!

chairmenmeow47
05-27-2010, 09:44 AM
where ben adores a minuet,
the ballet russes, and crepe suzette,
our hurley loves to rock and roll,
a hot dog makes him lose control...
what a wild duet!

still, they're coooooooousiiiiiiiiins,
identical cooooooooousins and you'll find,
they laugh alike, they walk alike,
at times they even talk alike...

WHAT A CRAZY PAIR

also, from the wire thread:

and i loved the wire, but i wish people would stop bringing it up every time lost is mentioned. they are two completely different shows to me. apples & oranges. lost did not have the same brilliant political commentary the wire had and the wire didn't have a central set of characters through all the seasons who you actually cared if they lived or died. the wire was a brilliant drama whereas i view lost more as a cliffhanger/mystery show. and part of the enjoyment of lost was all the high drama, all the cheesy sci-fi explanations and even the bad writing at times. but the wire certainly didn't have scores of people all over the globe trying to solve mysteries together every week like lost did. the wire is something i watch in private; whereas lost has always been best enjoyed with a group of friends to me. lost was one of those shows where if i met someone in any part of the world who watched the show, it was like we had an instant connection. we both wanted to solve the mysteries together. we both would have completely different perspectives and pull completely different meanings from the same, open-ended scenes. and i loved every minute of it.

tessalasset
05-27-2010, 11:07 AM
question:

i have two or three months left of a free netflix subscription where i get four discs at a time.

i've had the first three discs of dexter for a month now.

should i swap them out and try to plow through the wire since there are way more episodes of that? or is it not the type of show that involves plowing?

chairmenmeow47
05-27-2010, 11:11 AM
the wire deserves your attention. it will not really hit you in the same way if you aren't fully engaged. that being said, i couldn't get my next discs fast enough. so it's worth plowing through in that you won't be able to get enough and you'll always be eagerly awaiting the next discs. but if it's something you're just going to plow through by keeping the show on while you do other things, it may be better to wait.

tessalasset
05-27-2010, 11:13 AM
oh, no, that's exactly what i meant. where you can't even wait for the next disc. i didn't know if it was a show where one episode is so heavy that you can't even think about starting the next one for a few days. this is excellent. i think i'll change it up.

Blinken
05-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Just so you know Tessa The Wire starts out very slow it will take about 3 or 4 episodes before you really start to get into it.

Dogvolta
05-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks to you guys, looks like I've got a new series to start (The Wire).
I was *this* close to picking up Breaking Bad the other day also...

Donaldj
05-27-2010, 03:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/wtzBE.gif

tessalasset
05-28-2010, 12:24 AM
Yep that's posted twice in I believe the page right before this.

Donaldj
05-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Doh! sorry

JustSteve
05-28-2010, 07:19 AM
I want to go out the way Jack did, but I will be laying on the polo fields looking up at the moving spotlights as I close my eyes.

And I will die from old age, not a shanking.

Sexecutioner
05-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Doh! sorry

http://images.cafepress.com/product_zoom/430430641v2_225x225_Front_padToSquare-true.png

iv3rdawG
05-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Thought some of you might like to see this. Here's all the info on the Season Six Blu-ray/DVD and Complete Collection Blu-ray/DVD:

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment has announced DVD ($59.99) and Blu-ray ($79.99) releases of Lost: The Complete Sixth and Final Season for the 24th August. Extras will include audio commentaries on 4 episodes (LA X, Dr. Linus, Ab Aeterno and Across The Sea), deleted scenes, bloopers, featurettes ("Lost: On Location", "Crafting a Final Season", " A Hero’s Journey", "See You In Another Life, Brotha", "Lost on Location"), and a much-anticipated new chapter of the island's story.

Also available from the 24th August will be Lost: The Complete Collection which will retail at $229.99 and $279.99 on DVD and Blu-ray respectively. Each will include every episode of the series, along with a full disc of features exclusive to the collection. These will include 16 hilarious Lost “Slapdowns” featurettes showcasing celebrity Lost fans who confront Executive Producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse to ask press questions about the final season, a humorous yet emotional look at every character who died on the series, a unique series of featurettes that takes viewers on very personal tours of Oahu where the series was created, a closer look at some of the props with cast, writers and producers, and more. The exciting collectible packaging also includes: a Special Edition collectible ‘Senet’ Game as seen in Season Six, a custom Lost island replica, an exclusive episode guide, a collectible Ankh, and a black light penlight. We've attached the package artwork below:

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/9585/lostcompletesetartpic1.jpg

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/9175/lostcompletesetartpic2o.jpg

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/183/lostfinalseasonartpic2.jpg

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/lost13.html

tessalasset
05-29-2010, 12:05 AM
Yeah I'm just gonna get Season 6 and complete my collection and try to find the box set bonus disc online somewhere. Maaaaybe I'll put the box set on my Christmas list, but it's totally unnecessary.

THIS is really cool. One of my stories from back when I visited the Lost set in 2006 was when everyone was standing around Ana Lucia and Libby's graves to shoot the funeral scene, and in between takes, Dominic would take a cell phone out of his pocket to check the screen. It made me laugh considering they were all supposed to be castaways, and totally took away from the tragedy of the scene. I just read an interview with Jorge Garcia, and look what he specifically talked about here:

click on picture number 5 (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-hurley-lost-pictures,0,3239375.photogallery)

tessalasset
05-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Also, from that same article, this I never knew:

Something "Lost" viewers never saw: "The plane crashes inside the jungle and kind of tumbles along the ground and lands on the beach. They never really shot that part," he said, but damage to the jungle was visible on the set. "It was a nice detail they added to show how the plane got there. We didn't crash over the ocean onto the beach. We went over the island first and crashed and came out to the beach."

thestripe
05-29-2010, 08:20 AM
I'm posting the vozz in here so I can read it at work on tuesday. Site is blocked at work and vozz is a great way to start a work week.

THINGS I NOTICED - THE END

There are no words, really.

Nothing I can say here will compare to the thoughts, feelings, and rush of emotions I'm sure everyone is going through right now. For us the ride has finally ended. The lap bar has come up. There's nothing left to do now but stagger away from LOST's roller coaster, move forward, and try to burn the amazing image of this six-year ride into our hearts and minds forever.

I've often said that LOST is a perspective-based experience, and the series finale proved this point more than anything. For some people, they simply need more. They yank down on the lap bar in frustration, defiantly hoping there's something else to this ride. Maybe they expected a full disclosure of the island's blueprints, or comprehensive answers to everything. Or perhaps the answers they got weren't satisfactory to them, or the story's conclusion didn't fit their preconceived mold of how the show would end.

If there's one thing everyone should realize by now, it's that all of this is totally okay. We knew from the very start that this would happen - that no single ending would satisfy everyone. It should be no surprise that some fans absolutely loved the conclusion of LOST, while others felt sad, angry, or even cheated by how things played out. For those people I can't help but feel a bit sorry, and I sincerely hope they don't let it spoil their overall ride.

There were two things that really mattered to me when it came to how the show should end. First, I needed a sense of closure; a conclusion to each character's storyline, both on and off the island. More importantly however, I wanted the writers to stay true to their original ending. I needed to see that ending more than anything else in the world, because I've always viewed it as the inarguable foundation upon which the entire show has been built.

I'm one of those people who was wholly, completely, and utterly awestruck by the finale of LOST. For me it ended beautifully, in the most bittersweet and satisfying of ways. Just about every big question I wanted to know was answered, and everything I wanted to see was shown. The alternate universe was closed out in the most elegant of ways, delivering on a heartwrenching Sixth Sense twist. As for the island timeline, the circle was completed exactly as we always knew it should be: with a shot of Jack's eye slowly closing.

I was also fortunate enough to be invited to the Jay & Jack event in LA, where I got to watch the finale surrounded by 2000 cheering, screaming, and ultimately, crying LOST fans. I can't describe how much more this added to the experience for me, and how grateful I was to have been there.

Below you'll find my thoughts and feelings on the series finale, along with some general interpretations on LOST's ending. Remember that these are only my perceptions. They might very well differ from yours. The cool part is that although the show did have an ultimate ending, enough of the island's story is, and always will be, still up for interpretation. That said, let's get moving... because I'm looking just as forward to hearing what you guys think as you might be looking forward to reading this recap. Things I Noticed:

Where Are We? The LA X Truth - Finally Revealed

If my recap doesn't seem traditional this week, don't fault me. I've always been a theorist, and it's hard to theorize about what happens next once you've finally been handed the answer key. For the island's story, there are a good many things we can still talk about. There are theories, ideas, and concepts that will always vary from person to person. Even now, with the last second of our story finally told, there will be widespread disagreement as to what exactly the island was, how real it was, and how it managed to affect each of our characters - both in this life and the next.

Yet when it comes to the alternate universe, things are a lot more etched in stone. We know now that for the entirety of season six, we've been watching a sort of Purgatory or after-life; a gathering place where our characters are both placated - by being given the things they always believed they wanted - and educated - by being allowed to further develop in the direction of enlightenment. This isn't revealed to us until the end, when Jack finally realizes that he's dead... but it's hinted at numerous times throughout the finale, by all different characters.

"Who died?" Kate asks, just over a minute into the episode. As Desmond sees to the delivery of the empty coffin that ultimately turns out to be the last piece of Jack's puzzle, we're given a touching montage of our LAX_based character's lives. In many cases, like Sawyer's, they're still filled with frustration. It's no secret that these people are having trouble letting go. They've looked into mirrors and yet, instead of seeing the truth, have chosen to smash them instead. These characters are still moths in the cocoon, still developing, not yet strong enough to free themselves of the confines of their past lives' struggles.

Other characters, like Desmond and Hurley, have either stumbled upon enlightenment or been led to see things as they really are. For these people, the truth has been hidden for a while. People like Ms. Hawking have been counterproductive at times, attempting to keep the knowledge of where they really are a total secret. We find out later that her motives are purely selfish: she wants Daniel to stay with her for as long as possible. Yet her selfishness as a mother is forgivable. In this in-between realm, Ms. Hawking merely wants to give her son what he was never able to have in his past life: a mother who loves him without an agenda, and the opportunity to finally choose his own path.

"No one can tell you why you're here", Desmond tells a still-bewildered Kate. "Certainly not me." For some reason or another there are still unbreakable rules, even in the afterlife. Hurley confirms these rules later on, in talking to Sayid. Yet Desmond drops the first big hint by saying: "Here, Kate. Not at the church, but here." And coincidentally enough, just like the man in black, Desmond's ultimate goal is to finally leave the place he's currently at.

What made the finale so awesome was the perfect mix of touching connections and infamous LOST-humor, both peppered throughout. Watching Hugo's reaction to seeing Charlie again was heartwarming, but before you could reach for a tissue you were laughing your ass off as he ineptly tranq'd him with that dart gun. The business-like mannerisms of the enlightened were always offset by things like Hugo unceremoniously dumping Charlie into the back of that Hummer, or by the wry, knowing smiles that Sun and Jin give Sawyer after experiencing their past life's flashes together.

The Jack and Locke parallels were perfect too. Jack's "Well there's always the chance I could kill you" line right before surgery was hilarious in stark contrast to the seriousness of the same two characters in a much darker on-island situation. The yin-yang dynamic between John and Jack has been one of the most well-developed themes of the entire show, and the writers did a great job paying tribute to their relationship in both realities. John's "See you on the other side" also makes perfect sense by the time we reach the final scene, sewing up that loose end rather nicely.

I thought Juliet's return was both triumphant and welcomed. We finally learned that she's the mysterious mother of David, and I'm sure this pissed certain shippers off to no end. I have to say, the shipper world was always something I never could understand. Of all the cool shit we saw on the show, these romantic relationships were just a small piece of the overall story for me. I was amazed by the overwhelmingly juvenile and horrific fights that broke out over who got Kate, Sawyer, or Jack, as well as the websites dedicated solely to these less than mysterious relationships. Before I even knew what 'shipper' meant, I already knew that most of the bullshit associated with the term spawned nothing but negativity and fighting. It was a strange corner of LOST for me, and one I'm happy I stayed away from.

New and Improved Jacob - Now With Even More Crying!

The island scenes open with Jack, still reeling from his ascension to power as the newly appointed Jacob. In a reverse of what Jacob did last episode Jack is washing the island onto his hands, not off of them. He's standing in the water, basking in it, trying to drink in his new role. He tells Sawyer that physically he feels no different, but whether or not Jack inherited any true power doesn't really matter. The only thing that matters now is that Jack believes.

On another part of the island, we see Desmond. Rose and Bernard have checked back into the game temporarily, to help their friend. This leads of course, to Locke finding them. Because they've become eligible to give help, they've also become eligible to be hurt. Maybe.

Rose and Bernard don't look all that afraid to me. Even after Locke's evil threat, they're still in the know. In a way, I think this makes them somehow untouchable, in a Ben Kenobi "If you strike me down, I really don't give a shit" kind of way.

"You don't have to go anywhere with him", Rose tells Desmond defiantly. She's reminding Desmond that he has a choice here and it's his to make - no one can make for him, not even the man in black. But as any good friend would do, Desmond decides to spare his friends any pain or misery by agreeing to go with Locke.

What happens next is pretty revealing: Desmond knows exactly where they're going, and this takes the man in black completely by surprise. "I assume it's a place with a very bright light", Desmond tell him without any hesitation or reservation. This seems to indicate that he has full knowledge of both timelines, front and back, from beginning to end... something he may have gained (and forgotten until he flashed) when he first turned the failsafe key.

They're The A-Team of Comic Relief

Miles finding Richard alive and well was not all that surprising. Even after Ab Aeterno his story seemed unfinished, and I was holding out hope that he'd eventually live up to his title as "he who would save us all." Instead, Richard does very little this episode, yet I still forgive him for it. He's had a tough gig on the island, and he deserves to live out the rest of the life he never had, grey-haired as it might be. It's also interesting to think about what Richard will do once he gets back to the modern world. Just wait until he sees television.

What was surprising however, was that Frank survived the sinking of the submarine. The very second I saw him floating there, I knew my worst fears had been realized: Lapidus was definitely flying that airplane off the island. I had instant visions of him sweating down the runway, skimming the treetops, and letting out a triumphant Waylon Jennings yell once the plane finally got airborne.

I have to say, I was wrong about that scene. Once I saw Frank alive, I fully accepted and embraced the fact that some of our heroes were going to make it off the island on Ajira 316. I hoped it wouldn't be campy, and that Frank wouldn't spoil the finale with some God-awful one-liner. He didn't. The liftoff scene would actually turn out to be pretty cool, and the visual of the airplane escaping from the island would lock snugly into place during the final scene of the show.

Sun and Jin-Soo Kwon

Sun and Jin's story has been over for three episodes now, missing only the formality of full-blown enlightenment. Fittingly, this takes place over Ji-Yeon - the one unifying factor in their often tumultuous relationship. With Julet's sonagram as the catalyst, these two characters join the full disclosure team, finally remembering everything about their time on the island.

I've always enjoyed this couple over the course of the show. Sun displayed early strength and adaptability, while Jin's loyalty allowed him to recapture an innocence lost during his service to Mr. Paik. The two of them came together over Sun's pregnancy, and recognized - much like Rose and Bernard - that everything they really needed could be found within their own relationship.

At the same time, there's a good many people still upset about Ji-Yeon. The Kwon's daughter is left hanging out there in the debatably mistaken realm of the Oceanic Six timeline, never to see her parents again. And while I agree that this is sad, I also have to say that it still feels right to me. These characters have been separated too many times, and for far too long. Jin's pact to never leave Sun again is upheld even through death, and this brings a tremendous amount of meaning to the overall development of their relationship. Seeing him break it - even for Ji Yeon - would've cheapened their bond.

In all honesty, Ji-Yeon is a side note when compared to the emotional growth these characters both achieved over six seasons of LOST. Sun and Jin's story was always about them, just as Jacob told them at their wedding. It makes perfect sense that it should end that way.

"So it's you."

The semi-final showdown between Jack and Locke was a thing of beauty. Watching their groups converge from the two sides of that clearing made me realize just how far we'd come... and how close we were getting to the end. For once, Jack knew exactly what he was going to do. And even better, he knew Locke's plan as well.

"I'm gonna kill you." People around me cheered wildly as Jack delivered this line. We see the first real concern begin registering in Locke's eyes here, because just as with Desmond the man in black is sensing something he's not used to dealing with: Jack's absolute fearlessness. For thousands of years he's grown accustomed to everyone cowering before him or running in the opposite direction. But not here, and not now.

"How you gonna do that?" Flock asks, half-smirking. Although he's trying to be tough, his expression betrays an complete lack of confidence. "It's a surprise" Jack tells him, and the look on Locke's face is totally priceless.

DAMN it's good to see Jack finally be on the giving end of things for once. Not knowing his plan scares the shit out of Locke. The man in black has made the biggest of all bad guy blunders: totally underestimating his opponent. He assumes that Jack is clueless here, when really he's not. He also assumes that Jack is Jacob's successor, when ultimately it turns out to be Hurley. Jack is only an intermediary - a sacrifice necessary to take Flocke down. The dark man doesn't notice this however, because he's too busy gloating and pointing out how obvious it was to him that Jack would end up as the final candidate.

Claire... Still Not Sure What The Hell She Wants

If there was anything I didn't like about this episode, it was the continuation of Claire's wishy-washy storyline. She shows up just long enough to wave her rifle around, making everyone real nervous. Then she whines, cries a little, screams about something, and runs back into the jungle again.

I genuinely disliked the entire crazy-Claire storyline. The sickness was something they really didn't need to revisit, but it seemed as good an explanation as any for why Claire disappeared for a whole season. Squirrel-baby aside, Claire's done nothing but bitch and moan about always being left alone... even when she's running away for no reason at all.

One thing I did like however was Richard's sincere appeal for Claire to come along, with all of them ditching the island together. He's come a long way from the mysterious immortal we once knew nothing about, and he now seems more like one of us.

Sayid Jarrah and Shannon Rutherford

Right before the big Shannon reveal, we get more cryptic clues as to just how much LAX_Hurley now knows. Even better, we get a glimpse into Sayid's one last hurdle to redemption: himself.

"You're a good guy Sayid", Hurley tries to convince him, echoing Nadia's words from season one. "I know a lot of people have told you that you're not, and you've heard it so many times that you're starting to believe in it."

Perhaps out of all of our characters, Sayid has endured the worst identity crisis. Even in the afterlife, he's still struggling with past misdeeds. His time as a torturer in Iraq was capped with violence and killing, even after returning home. Cross-reference this with his on-island existence and you can add neck-snapping expert and notorious assassin to Sayid's resume. Because of these things, he now has very little faith in the man that he's become.

And although Hugo assures him that no one can tell Sayid who he really is (something his superiors Ben and Kelvin have both repeatedly done), he still refuses to assign himself an identity all his own. "You clearly don't know anything about me" Sayid tells Hugo, displaying a complete lack of moral confidence. Hurley's all-knowing response has a golden shine to it, especially considering the role he ultimately ends up with.

Seeing Shannon again was pretty cool, and not something I figured would ever happen. It made a lot more sense however, that these characters would end up in each other's arms. In Sayid's perfect little afterlife, Nadia was a dead end. She'd married his brother, and was inaccessible. Enter Shannon, another of Sayid's true loves (as much as you can really say true love occurs after a smooth picnic and a sweaty tent-romp). The two of them flash each other up to speed, and we get a cool look at some very retro S1 and S2 scenery.

I started wondering if this is who Sayid meant when he made his pact with the dark man. Maybe he did, without even really knowing it. Despite what happens to the MIB, his bargain ends up being fulfilled. Either by accident or destiny, Sayid once again gets to see the girl he loved and lost: Shannon. And in turn, she gets reunited with the one guy she allowed herself to love unconditionally, and without manipulation.

Boone Carlyle

Seeing Boone was awesome again as usual, but it was also very telling. We learn right away that Boone is in on things, having pried Shannon away from Australia and conspired with Hurley to take a fall during the bar fight. He's fully enlightened, and his willingness to help Shannon find her own way shows that he's completely "let go" of any past thoughts or misgivings that he had about his sister.

Our course we have to ask ourselves the next natural question: how long has Boone been set free? Was he just playing stupid on the plane during LA X, or did he somehow achieve enlightenment via Hurley, Desmond, or even all by himself sometime during this last season?

Judging from his "pulling my leg" comments to John Locke on Oceanic 815, and the line: "This thing goes down, I'm sticking with you", I think it's more fun to believe that Boone has known all along. Maybe he was toying with Locke on the flight - trying offhandedly to jog his memory as Rose and Bernard did to Jack. It's cool to look back on that scene and imagine that Boone already knows where he is, finally giving him one up on John after a whole season of playing the clueless sidekick.

Just Like Old Times

When we're finally shown the cave, it's not nearly as bright as it once was. I took this to mean that perhaps some of the light got trapped within the smoke monster during its creation. Maybe that's also why it's so important that the monster never leaves: the heart of the island has accidentally been tied up within him.

Locke continues taunting Jack as they lower Desmond into the cave, glibly reminding him of the season two similarities. "Desmond going into a hole in the ground? If there was a button down there to push we could fight about who would push it." Jack responds by fiercely defending John Locke, and this is an indication of just how far his faith has come. I was reminded of the conversation in which Locke had told him: "You do believe in destiny Jack, you just don't know it yet." And to take the journey between these two characters even further, the next shot is a mirror image of them peering into the hole during Exodus.

Down in the golden cave, Desmond passes the skeletons of those who've gone before him. Maybe these were past guardians of the island, lonely and bored, who finally stepped into the light out of sheer curiosity. Maybe they were the remains of those who, like Desmond, have played out the same cycle before. The skeletons could even be mortal men who stumbled upon the light and tried to take a big juicy slice of it... but who ended up with a lethal dose of electromagnetic energy for their troubles.

We see the Cerberus vents, dog-doo stalagmites, and a giant pool of radiant light. Desmond pulls the plug on the island, and we watch the light blink out. The water stops, and without water flowing into the vents the inner core of the island overheats. In seconds, there's a magma problem. Earthquakes abound. Chaos and destruction take place... all of that fun stuff that always speeds up the plot line.

The end result: Jack totally Scooby-Doos the monster into becoming mortal again, exactly as Superman once did to general Zod's entire crew during his second movie. Apparently, this old trick works every time. With the lights out, the man in black is now nothing more than a human being. Somehow Jack had advanced knowledge of this, just as the monster's mother had passed on the knowledge needed to brain people with giant rocks.

Ms. Hawking and Daniel Faraday/Widmore

During the abysmally-sounding fusion concert, an important reunion occurs between Desmond and Ms. Hawking. She questions his understanding: Hawking thought she made it very clear that Desmond is not to encourage or continue to help with his friends' enlightenment. Desmond on the other hand, makes something else equally clear: he's way past the point of giving a shit.

Finally, at long last, these two characters are on equal terms - both on the same level playing field. It's chilling to think that perhaps Hawking has been here all along; even when we saw her in the ring shop or the Looking Glass station, she was just as enlightened as she is now. Remember that her two appearances also took place within off-island realms: one during Desmond's failsafe flashback, and the other in the Oceanic Six world. She could easily have been reaching back to those places from the ALT/Purgatory universe, where we now know that time means very, very little.

By the same token, Charlie's appearance to Hugo during The Shape of Things to Come could be similarly explained. "You died", Hugo told him back then, and Charlie solemnly agreed with him. That was Hugo's own conclusion, and it turns out he was more right than he ever knew. Since time has no relevance in that universe, it could've easily been a fully-enlightened Charlie who visited Hurley at Santa Rosa.

"Are you going to take my son?" Hawking asks Desmond, looking painfully upset. Her genuine sorrow really struck a chord with me here, and for the first time I saw her as who she was: a scared, powerless old woman trying to hold her position - and Daniel's - in this gathering place of an afterlife.

Sadly, Ms. Hawking never had a real life with her son. While they were alive, she forsook all connections with Daniel and even sacrificed him to serve the island. So here, now, in this place? She's holding onto him for as long as she can, and experiencing as much with him as possible. THIS is why she wants to keep things status quo. THIS is why she wants to keep our characters in the dark for as long as she can, out of fear of them taking Faraday with them when they go.

I thought it was especially kind the way Desmond placed his palm over Ms. Hawking's hand reassuringly. The best part of Daniel's life didn't take place with the Oceanic heroes, and therefore there was no reason for him to go with them. This is why Danny's not at the big end dance, swinging it with Charlotte. Perhaps the best times of their lives lie elsewhere, and one or both of them are not yet ready to move on.

Claire Littleton and Charlie Pace

To be brutally honest, I wasn't looking forward to watching Claire give birth for a third time. Despite all the clever repetition in LOST, this is one storyline that's more than a little played out by now. Thankfully they made it quick. Aaron gets born in like 3 big pushes, which is not bad considering it's Claire's rookie season.

Charlie shows up with the blanket, and all flash-hell breaks loose. Claire and Charlie remember each other, the island, and the bond they shared over the birth of Aaron. It's probably a good thing she didn't remember the kidnapping, heroin-abuse, and impromptu baptism Charlie tried to give her son in the ocean, but what the hell - that's all water under the bridge at this point. Let's let bygones be bygones.

At the same time, through the baby's birth, Kate is also enlightened. Desmond looks at her expectantly, as if knowing that this event would pull Kate's trigger. Her full disclosure sets the stage for the future enlightenment of the most stubborn of all 815 survivors: Jack Shephard.

The Claire/Charlie love story was always strange to me. For several seasons it seemed all she wanted to do was bitch at him and push him away. By the time she finally came around, Charlie had died sacrificing himself for her and the baby. Talk about guilt trips.

Although the ending for this couple was sweet, it leaves a pretty significant loose end: Desmond's helicopter vision. For some reason or another, Claire and Aaron never really did get into a helicopter. My take on that? The writers pulled an outrigger-shootout. They had good intentions when they planned the first part of this event, but bailed out before closing the circle. And you know what? That's completely okay with me. Because just as with the canoe chase, I'd rather they leave something unexplained or open-ended than try to mold some shitty story to fit around it. The fact that they took things in another direction means very little to me, and so does Desmond's unexplained vision.

"No Vozzek, screw that! Charlie died for that vision! I want a damned explanation!"

Alright, then here it is: Jacob was trying to kill Charlie, to prevent the freighter from ever getting to the island and taking his candidates away. He's the one who kept putting Charlie in harm's way all those times: drowning, lightning, arrows and all.

On the other hand, the MIB wanted Charlie to live long enough to flip that jamming switch. His goal was to get rid of the candidates, and allow them to leave the island. Therefore, he was responsible for all of Desmond's precognitive visions. He kept showing Des exactly how to save Charlie, so that the freighter could ultimately find the island.

Desmond's last vision however was a false one: the dark man knew Charlie would need to sacrifice himself in order to achieve his goal. Just as he did with his other recruits, he gave Charlie the one thing he thought he'd want more than anything else: the promise of Claire and Aaron's freedom. He planted the last vision in Desmond's head because it was the one thing that would drive Charlie to succeed in his mission... even if that mission was suicidal. Fiendishly, the MIB knew that Charlie would put their own lives above his own.

Good enough?

Two Players, Two Sides... One Is Dark, and One Is Light

The confrontation between Jack and Locke was nothing short of EPIC. The cliffs, the rain, the cymbal crash and the stunning visuals... if you didn't get goosebumps watching this scene, you should probably just switch over to Dancing with the Stars.

Some amazing imagery was captured here: Jack now looking black, Locke now looking white - good vs. evil personified. The whole thing was one final nod to the game Jacob and his brother started nearly two thousand years ago, and that game came to a violent end right here atop this cliff.

We need to realize that the realm of the island has been under Jacob's direction for a very long time. As the man in charge, he's the one who has made the rules, just as his brother one day said he could. To Jacob and the man in black, the island's jungles have been a tremendous gameboard. The black and white motif is a visual representation of their childhood senet game - a game started centuries ago when they set the very first two pieces down on the board.

Over hundreds of years, their game has evolved into using people instead of playing pieces. The stakes have gotten higher. Jacob's sworn protection of the island has been balanced precariously against the dark man's overwhelming desire to leave. They've fought against each other, disagreed with one another, and placed life-or-death bets over whether mankind is inherently good or bad. To them, the island is exactly as our main characters have seen it: a black and white battlefield pitting destiny against free will. Jacob has struggled to keep the dark man down, and he's struggled to find a loophole in the rulebook... just as Jack finds his own loophole here.

Their fight scene is incredible, made even more climactic by the violent storm. In the struggle for the knife, the origins of Jack's neck would are revealed. Even slicker? Locke stabs Jack exactly where his appendix would be... if it weren't already removed by Juliet. This answer the question as to why Jack got suddenly and inexplicably sick on the island back then. It also mirrors the situation in which Locke survived Ben's gunshot by having an empty cavity where his kidney used to be. One final parallel is represented between these two characters; men who by all definition are every bit the brothers that Jacob and the man in black once were.

Kate killing the man in black was a shocking twist, but it justified her overall role as a potential candidate. Perhaps this is why Jacob touched her as a child, making sure Kate was kept around this far into the end game. I loved the visual of Jack kicking the dark man off the cliff's edge, just as the man in black had kicked Jacob into the fire. Everything about this scene was absolutely perfect, and it was a tremendous way for Flocke to go out.

Afterward, Jack can't let the island sink. Even now, he has to save just one more thing. As he and Kate say their final goodbyes, they confess love for each other and kiss one last time. And did you hear that sound? It's a hundred-thousand Skater-blogs shutting down all at once.

John Locke

One of LOST's most reverent scenes is finally mirrored, as Locke begins wiggling his toes for the first time since being paralyzed. Jack's astonishment immediately parallels his wife Sarah's own miraculous recovery, and I thought for sure they were going to both flash here. I figured maybe they'd even regain their island memories so quickly that they'd jump right back into a bitter struggle for survival, hands locked each other's throats, each trying to strangle the other to death. But I was probably being a little melodramatic there.

Locke flashes. Hard. We're treated to some of John's best scenes in all of LOST: from his Walkabout toe-wiggle to his orange peel smile. The music for these flashes was pure awesome, by the way. It really added impact to what these characters were going through. I tried to imagine remembering your whole life in a single moment, and then having the rush of those experiences happen all at once. Unbelievable.

John's flashes give him full knowledge of everything. Nearly crying, he asks Jack if he also remembers. This causes Jack to flash quickly to a single scene - looking down into the Swan hatch with Locke - before bringing him back to the hospital again. Jack resists. He's still not ready. He pushes the image out of his head, denying it, much like he's always denied Locke's attempts at getting Jack to see things as they really are.

Jack is famously stubborn, and it's going to take more than just Claire, Desmond or Locke before he finally sees the truth. But as for John Locke, he's all in. He tries to get Jack to come with him, but Jack balks. Subconsciously perhaps, he clings to the one thing he's really got going for him in this alternate universe - his son. He even retreats from the room, blurting out: "I have to go see my son." And that's when Locke gives us another huge clue as to what's really going on, telling Jack: "You don't have a son."

"Jack", Locke tells him before he leaves, "I hope somebody does for you, what you just did for me." Watch Jack's face as he says this. His eyes are glassy, because Jack is crying. And while Jack crying isn't exactly an uncommon event on LOST, he's crying because inwardly he knows that Locke is right. He doesn't have a son. And not only does Jack not have a son, but somewhere in the back of his mind Jack has always known it.

James Ford and Juliet Burke

Right behind Desmond and Penny, one of the better love stories on the show has been between Sawyer and Juliet. Their reunion in the ALT was actually the most predictable, based upon island events and dialogue we saw as Juliet died in the Swan hatch. Most of us suspected they were going dutch for ALT_coffee all the way back in the season premiere.

Skaters and haters aside, the two thousand people I watched LOST with seemed to love this scene. They cheered almost as loudly here as when Jack finally told Locke he was going to kill him. There's not much in the way of analysis to do, but we did learn one important thing: how to get your stuck candy bar out of a vending machine. And to think all this time I've been using the rock forward and drop method.

Kate Takes Jack To The Prom

As Jack arrives late for the fusion concert, a fully-enlightened Kate is there to greet him. But before we continue, we have to stop for a moment here and acknowledge that Kate totally rocks that black dress. No two ways about it.

Jack's struggles with remembering his time on the island have taken place slowly over the course of the entire season. Locke just chipped away at his resolve by telling Jack he doesn't have a son. Here, as Jack somewhat remembers Kate, we get one of the last pieces of the puzzle. She tells him, using the past tense: "I've missed you so much."

Jack flashes but is still not ready. He's at the brink, though. The last thing he needs to see is the coffin, and Kate offers to take him to it. That final visual - seeing his father's coffin as empty - is what ultimately brings Jack to the realization of what's truly been going on.

Redemption, Forgiveness, and Wanting to Still Kick Around the ALT for a While

In John and Ben's final scene, their story is closed out with heartfelt honesty. Ben admits his faults, and genuinely apologizes for the things he's done. Locke graciously forgives him. But before allowing John to roll into the church, Ben hands him the very last key needed for Locke himself to fully let go, telling him: "I don't think you need to be in that chair anymore."

For Locke, the ALT world has been all about him clinging to his paralysis. This was a form of self-flagellation - although he had Helen, happiness, and everything else, John still didn't feel he deserved to walk again after what he'd done to his father. Ben helps him to realize that he can walk, and he can let go. Learning what we do about the alternate timeline however, Anthony Cooper's inability to move or speak now seems to have sinister karmatic undertones.

John walks into the church, leaving Ben behind to "work some things out". Translation? A hot little french connection with Danielle, and a slow, mundane, normal life as Alex's stepfather - at least for a while. These were things Ben could never have, because the island's agenda always interfered with them. But here in the afterlife, Ben can finally enjoy these relationships... and possibly wait for these people to want to move on with him into the next world.

You Have To Lift It Up

It was more than predictible that Jack's story would end with him eventually sacrificing himself to save everyone else. His hero complex was nearly terminal, but with episode titles like Greater Good this is a role you could see Jack taking from miles away.

Jack's second-to-last act of sacrifice is to save Desmond. With Penny and little Charlie to go back to, it seemed obvious that Des would make it out unscathed. He'd played his role, and served more than his fair share of time on the island. He deserved to leave, and to finally be happy.

From here, Jack reboots the island by plugging its drain with that giant stone carrot. No, I don't pretend to understand it either. We'll never know the origins of this chamber, what the heart of the island truly is, or how the hell it got there in the first place. I'm pretty sure I don't even care. Jack's sacrifice is what really brings the island back, and this is much more relevant than any physical aspect of how it happens.

One Day You Can Make Up Your Own Game, and Everyone Else Will Have to Follow Your Rules

In guessing who would take over the island, I have to admit that I was way, way off. Hurley seemed too pure a soul to be placed in charge of such a dangerous place, and I'd scratched him off my own mental list. I just couldn't see him manipulating, killing, or pushing anyone in a certain direction. Yet here Jack appoints him as the new Jacob, assuring Hugo that he believes in him. Quite fittingly, to take control of the island, Hurley must drink from a filthy, crumpled-up Oceanic bottle.

Hurley and the bottle are both tremendous symbols of things to come. Jacob and the man in black are finally gone. Their game of black vs. white is over. The survivors of Oceanic are still here, and this is now their story. The island no longer has to be dangerous, as we saw it become during Jacob's reign. Maybe, as Ben suggests, it can be a place where Hurley actually uses it to help people. And in retrospect, that's still really what it's been all along.

I noticed that the cave was back at full brightness after Jack's sacrifice. Maybe the light energy released after the smoke monster's demise restored it to full glow. Ben agreeing to join a very lost and uncertain Hugo in ruling the island was a pretty good pairing, and I found myself wondering if the writers knew of this ending when they wrote the shared candy bar scene in Cabin Fever. The scene cuts to outside the church in the afterlife storyline, where we find out that both Hugo and Ben did a great job in running the island. Past tense of course, because time at this point is irrelevant.

Amen That Frank Only Said 'Amen'

There were a lot of funny lines from Miles, Frank, and even Ben this episode. But the thing that made me laugh the most? Watching Richard hold the duct tape and landing gear schematics. Yes I know he's been alive for two centuries, and yes I know he's probably up to date with a lot of modern technology. Still, I think it would've been even funnier if he were holding them upside down.

It takes Kate to finally convince Claire to come with them. Again. This time for real, I guess. She mentions being crazy, and not wanting Aaron to see her that way. I have some interesting thoughts on Aaron, and I'll talk about them in a little while. But for now the important thing is that everyone gets on the plane, it screams down the runway, and Frank gets everyone off the island one last time.

Late For His Own Funeral

Jack's journey of self-discovery ends at the church. The coffin he's chased for so long rests in a small peaceful chamber, complete with stained glass images of Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, and Hindu symbols - all the major religions are represented. Reverently Jack opens the coffin, expecting his father's corpse, and I honestly thought Jack would see himself in there. Instead, he sees nothing... and that's when his father calls out from behind him, ready to give Jack the one final push that he needs.

The idea that Jack is dead is really nothing new. Since the show's inception, a good majority of people have guessed at a Purgatory-type explanation for LOST. I've long theorized that Jack originally died in the plane crash - "He walks among us, but is not one of us" - and yet was somehow still able to go on. But here, we're given an even cooler twist: everyone is dead. The alternate universe is a nothing but a gathering place, a type of limbo where people can work things out while waiting for their loved ones to catch up before finally moving on.

Now I've been beaten up a lot for suggesting LOST would end with a Sixth Sense twist. Quite honestly, there's nothing more Sixth Sense than Jack finally realizing - a la Bruce Willis - that he's been dead the whole time. The only difference here, is that Jack's been dead since he sacrificed himself at the cave. He didn't die in the plane crash... or so, Christian Shephard would have us believe.

Jack's realization comes after some pretty cool flashes. These flashes start at the plane crash, and depict many of the times Jack has helped people. Upon realizing "I died too", the heartfelt hug between Jack and his father was a long time in coming. He finally lets go, tells his father that he loves him, and receives the same love in return. It was perfect and fitting.

"I'm real, you're real, everything that's ever happened to you was real..." - This isn't just Christian Shephard talking here. These are the writers and producers, explaining to us exactly what happened. Everyone in the church is dead too. Some died before Jack, some afterward. The place they're at now is timeless... there's no past, present or future. The only stipulation before moving on is that everyone must come to terms with their past life's issues, and that they need to do it on their own - without being told.

"Where are we, dad?" Jack asks, echoing Charlie's infamous question from season one. "This is a place that you all made together, so that you could find each other", Christian explains (note his use of the word 'you' and not 'we'). In so many ways, it's a lot like the island. The island also became a place made by Jack and his friends, filled with whatever real-world baggage they brought in with them. Just as they did in this place, our characters had to work out their past issues before being allowed to leave. Looking at it this way, the island becomes just another level of enlightenment - a more interactive layer of reality in which our characters could grow emotionally and spiritually before moving on.

One aspect of the ALT is different however: the door to the laser light show can't be opened until everyone is ready. All of the people in the church are there because they shared the best part of their lives together. They need to move on as a single group; a sort of afterlife version of live together die alone. Jack, ever the stubborn ass, was the last holdout. Still clinging to a life of saving people and ignoring his own needs, he was the only one holding up the trip.

Okay, Let's Talk About The Prom

The final church scene was amazing, but I have some very distinct thoughts on it. While we saw many of the people we've come to know and love, there were also others that were missing. Richard is an easy one: the best times of his life were spent with Isabella. She had to wait 200 years to dance with him again, and that must've sucked. Miles and Frank... they went on to live beyond the island. Although they shared time with our main characters, it's likely that the more important parts of their lives happened later on.

Michael. We already know where he is. The island has literally become Purgatory for him, stuck alongside all of the other poor souls who can't move on. Now that we know the ending of LOST, the whisperers make a lot more sense. I still think they rushed the explanation, but I like the concept of those spirits being trapped in the jungle, perhaps unable to move on until they've achieved enlightenment or served a penance of some kind.

Notably absent from the final scene is Walt. Maybe he's waiting for Michael. Or maybe the best parts of Walt's life are still way ahead of him, with a wife and a family of his own. Let's sure hope so. And for Michael's sake, let's hope he gets to leave the island and attend church once Walt passes on.

Okay, here's where things get sticky. Aaron is at the church. I can't grasp the idea that the most important part of Aaron's life occurred on the island... unless the entirety of Aaron's life took place there. I've often talked about Aaron's existence being questionable, and we've seen him disappear from sonograms and supermarkets. Perhaps he's there because Claire and Charlie - and everyone else - brought him. After all, as Christian says: this is a place that our characters made together. All of them had a part in Aaron's existence... he didn't even kick until Jin fed Claire that first time after the crash. Maybe, just maybe, this is why he can't be raised by another. Maybe this is why Aaron is so special.

Let's move on to Ji-Yeon. She's not in the church, and was never on the island at all. If she was truly born, her life is an off-island one. Yet remember the miracle circumstances surrounding her conception: Ji-Yeon was always a baby that was never meant to be. To add fuel to the fire she was born in the Oceanic 6 timeline; and if you've read any of my other recaps you already know I believe that whole storyline to be suspect. So was Ji-Yeon legit? If so, let's say she spent her better years beyond the parenting of Sun or Jin. It would make sense then, either way, that she's not in the church.

Finally, Christian. He never spent the better part of his life with all these people, so why is he there? Actually, he's not really there for the prom at all. He's there for Jack's benefit - just as he's always been. Christian is there as a shepherd, herding his son into the next life. He doesn't actually sit down, he just makes sure everyone is seated. Then he leaves.

When all is said and done, the church reunion was a beautiful way to end LOST. It enabled our characters to come together one last time, fully aware of each other, to embrace the deep connections they've developed over these last six years. This is the other side... yet what's beyond the glowing double doors? Heaven? Reincarnation? Another life? It feels great not to know. The only thing that really matters is that our heroes get to walk through those doors together, and to me at least, that's always seemed the most fitting way to end things.

The Ultimate Ending Has Always Been Closing The Circle

There were two ways I could envision LOST's final scene. One involved the new Jacob and new MIB (who I really thought would be Jack and Locke). They'd be sitting on a beach, possibly playing backgammon, and a ship would come over the horizon... or maybe the roar of a plane's engines would be heard overhead.

The other ending was even more obvious but no less excellent: Jack's eye closing. We've all thought about it. We've all considered it. Here, the writers made this ending a reality - and in the greatest and most poignant of all possible ways.

Jack's slow, painful journey down memory lane was intermixed with scenes from the church, and this gave it even more meaning. Leaning on the bamboo shoots for support, we watch him struggle past his father's beat-up tennis shoe, back to his place of origin.

It's both fitting and awesome that LOST should end exactly where it began - right in the clearing where Jack first woke up. The Ajira plane flying overhead completed the picture, mirroring the crash of Flight 815. Jack's smile was indicative of hope: he'd saved his friends as well as the island, and his sacrifice had not been in vain. And to see Vincent lie down next to him? That was just an amazing touch.

THINGS I NOTICED - My Final Thoughts

Why are we continuing to play this little game, when we all know it has moved to the next stage?
- Mikail Bakunin

Whether you believe the island was a truly magical place or just another level of the afterlife, that's entirely your call. Despite Christian's assertions that everything was real, an argument could easily be made that all of our characters actually died in the crash of Flight 815. Their adventures on the island would represent a journey to find and correct their past issues, before finally moving on to the next plane of existence.

In all honesty? I'm not entirely sure that's how LOST wasn't originally conceived.

Going back to season one and the beginning of season two, and you'll find TONS of references to everyone being dead. "We shouldn't have survived... Three days ago we all died... There are no survivors of flight 815..." Early on, these things smacked us right in the face. Maybe these clues were a little too obvious, and the intelligence of the audience was sorely underestimated. At this point, admitting that everyone guessed the plot of the show simply wouldn't be an option. The answer? A very long con: one that involved time travel, a critical event, and a newly modified version of the Purgatory/afterlife ending... the season six ALT timeline. The very fortunate victims of that con? Us. :)

But I'm not here to argue for (or against) the Purgatory theory. Whether or not it happened this way, LOST was a magnificent show. It had superior writing, an amazing cast, and the most beautiful location in the entire world. These are things I'm not sure we'll see again very soon, and that should only add to its legacy. LOST was an incredibly special and unique experience, just like the enormous community the show spawned to support it.

I'll forever keep my own ideas and reservations about the island, and you should too. Don't let anyone tell you what those should be. Just as the writers closed out one storyline, they left another one forever open. And no one, especially not me, should be able to completely define the rules and reality of exactly what we just watched for the last 120+ hours.

I want to thank everyone one last time for reading my recaps, my book, and my constant ramblings. Right or wrong, they were always fun to share. Special thanks to Andy for creating this site, and for giving my recaps a place to live. He took a lot of responsibility on his shoulders these last five years or so, and I'd bet good money he's looking forward to some well-deserved time off.

I'm sure I'll still be around in one capacity or another, so keep an eye out. You can also write me if you get the itch, and I'll try to respond as best I can.

A final thanks to everyone else who's shared their own ideas and theories, putting them out there for all to see. This part of LOST has always been the most fun for me. Discussing the show with others who love it just as fanatically is how every single one of us originally got started. I've made friendships here that will carry on well beyond the scope of the show, and I hope that many of you have done the same. It's weird the way stuff like that happens, but it's also very, very cool.

To all of my LOST friends and followers... It's been real. Sort of. ;)

Vozzek

chairmenmeow47
05-29-2010, 08:28 AM
Yeah I'm just gonna get Season 6 and complete my collection and try to find the box set bonus disc online somewhere. Maaaaybe I'll put the box set on my Christmas list, but it's totally unnecessary.

THIS is really cool. One of my stories from back when I visited the Lost set in 2006 was when everyone was standing around Ana Lucia and Libby's graves to shoot the funeral scene, and in between takes, Dominic would take a cell phone out of his pocket to check the screen. It made me laugh considering they were all supposed to be castaways, and totally took away from the tragedy of the scene. I just read an interview with Jorge Garcia, and look what he specifically talked about here:

click on picture number 5 (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-hurley-lost-pictures,0,3239375.photogallery)

how funny, tessa!!!

i admit, i want the totally necessary season box set since i don't own any dvds. i've bought my parents all the dvds except for 5 i think since my mom gave up on the show. i'm pissed cause now they have a blu-ray. can we please stop upgrading technology!!!

BlackSwan
05-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Holy shit, I just watched the Lost finale last night and just... Wow... That was fucking stupid. Anyone who thinks the religiously-tinged ending was profound, intelligent, or interesting is an idiot... Seriously.

I haven't read back to any of the reactions in this thread yet, but I'm assuming many of you are idiots.

Edit: And just clarify, it wasn't stupid because it was religious... It was the execution that was stupid.

Sushov23
05-29-2010, 01:00 PM
Holy shit, I just watched the Lost finale last night and just... Wow... That was fucking stupid. Anyone who thinks the religiously-tinged ending was profound, intelligent, or interesting is an idiot... Seriously.

I haven't read back to any of the reactions in this thread yet, but I'm assuming many of you are idiots.

Edit: And just clarify, it wasn't stupid because it was religious... It was the execution that was stupid.

hahahahaha. It was fucking retarded. Now we are going to get whatever the equivalent of dildo floggings that only happen in the thread we don't talk about.

tessalasset
05-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Is this real life? Evidently this is Matthew Fox's mug shot, probably from pre-LOST. Did anyone hear about this ever?

http://8.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_krmatcUE2a1qzpwi0o1_500.jpg

HunterGather
05-29-2010, 07:52 PM
As someone who has only seen a handful of LOST episodes, I figured it was a screencap from the show or something...

tessalasset
05-29-2010, 09:20 PM
No, he never looked that bad on the show. I researched it a tiny bit and I think it happened last summer. Wow.

apostle2
05-29-2010, 09:22 PM

You have poor taste. And you obviously know nothing about the "execution" of a TV show.

Sushov23
05-29-2010, 09:48 PM
You have poor taste. And you obviously know nothing about the "execution" of a TV show.

Is this really the only defense you have for blackswan? he has poor taste? I mean are you serious? Don't get me wrong, season 6 was a good one, but the season finale was a fucking joke. When you speak to most people about the finale, they are trying to justify why it was good. They feel a need to defend the finale, that tells me one thing. Guess what that is? Again i'm only speaking about the finale, not the whole season(which I thought I was major step up from a mediocre season 5).

apostle2
05-29-2010, 10:29 PM
It was mostly a snarky response to the way he said what he did. He said nothing of consequence other than that he didn't like it, so I did the same thing and said nothing of consequence other than that his taste is wrong. Way to pick up on subtleties. Also, you seem drunk.

sbessiso
05-29-2010, 10:32 PM
well, it IS sushy ;)

hey, do they ever explain how Lockes daddy got on the island? Did I miss it?

Blinken
05-29-2010, 11:35 PM
He was brought there by Sawyer, because that is what he wanted. The Island seems to work very much like the Sphere(Michael Crichton), only subtler. The same way Kate's horse showed up, the boar that attacked Sawyer's stuff they were unconsciously manifesting things through the islands powers. I think that is also how Rose and Locke got healed. Jacob had so much power because he was enlightened to the power of the island.

Notice how most of us haven't responded to you and blackswan? We don't feel the need to defend it. Plus neither of you gave any real things to defend, just called us a bunch of idiots for liking it.