PDA

View Full Version : LOST!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24

Cancersticks1
04-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Don't recall if we've discussed this here. I know I read it on one of the review pages, and my friend and I were just talking about it, but with this seasons premier titled LA X, what are you're thoughts on that being a nod to the DC comics multiverse? I.e. Earth X, Earth Prime, etc. Jacob & MIB = Monitor & Anti-Monitor? Did it just get too nerdy in here?

atom heart
04-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Was not expecting this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RrObyQ3XzcY/S7pBL2s3GbI/AAAAAAAAyek/JmjRb4snQQ4/s1600/graphichulu.jpg

OnlyNonStranger
04-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Why not? The Simpsons is lame. I was actually rooting for Community to beat them out and then go against LOST.

tessalasset
04-06-2010, 01:51 PM
yesssss!

damon lindeolf posted this on his twitter last week and said he voted for the simpsons.

J~$$$$
04-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Im so fucking pissed at facebook LOST right now.......

Spoilers.....

wtf why dont you ruin the surprise?

Lost
Who are you most looking forward to seeing tomorrow at 9|8c on ABC?
option 1: Desmond
option 2:Charlie
option 3:Faraday
option 4:All of the above!

atom heart
04-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Hey, I love LOST as much as the next person, but I didn't expect it to beat out one of the most iconic pieces of American television (even if it did suck for a long, long time. I stopped watching regularly in middle school). I recently caught some newish episodes and they were a lot better than I was expecting.

mickflyy
04-06-2010, 03:46 PM
I missed last weeks episode so I get a double helping today, although i shoiuld be studying but fuckit.

atom heart
04-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Holy crap I want to punch Eloise for her cryptic nonsense.

Also, Widmore's giant toaster looks like the velociraptor cage in the second Jurassic Park. I kept thinking they were on a Jurassic Park set the whole time.

J~$$$$
04-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Holy shit!!!!!! Best episode so far. The ending is going to be so good.

captncrzy
04-06-2010, 07:16 PM
No spoilers until the show is over, dumbfucks. Some of us are waiting a half an hour for the tivo to record so we don't have to watch the commercials.

J~$$$$
04-06-2010, 07:19 PM
I know you are not talking to me.

Seriously. Best episode so far.

gotothemusicshop
04-06-2010, 07:20 PM
HOLY FREAKIN MOLEY..DANIEL WHITMORE!

captncrzy
04-06-2010, 07:21 PM
I know you are not talking to me.

Seriously. Best episode so far.

No. Not you. I know you know better. Smooches. xoxoxoxo. boobs.

wmgaretjax
04-06-2010, 07:40 PM
No spoilers until the show is over, dumbfucks. Some of us are waiting a half an hour for the tivo to record so we don't have to watch the commercials.

Get out of the thread then you ignoramus. Come on, you have to know checking the thread while the show is airing is probably a bad idea.

captncrzy
04-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Posting during the show is more ingnoramousy

Also:

Holy fucking shit.

Rick thinks Eloise is Smokey.

kitt kat
04-06-2010, 08:53 PM
This is the best episode ever ever ever

OnlyNonStranger
04-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Yes, best episode of the season.

ADrunkPoet
04-06-2010, 09:05 PM
10/10!

Loved it.

DRcube
04-06-2010, 09:40 PM
shit was insane yall

bballarl
04-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Awesome awesome awesome.

ADrunkPoet
04-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Can we officially say now, that out of all of the characters that the Desmond-centric episodes are the best of the bunch?

tessalasset
04-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Fucking brilliant.

signmeup
04-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Mind. Blown.

tessalasset
04-07-2010, 12:32 AM
i just watched it again. this show is unparalleled. i was freaking out to myself watching the scene between eloise and desmond. she KNOWS. she's in on it! they're just making this life for him so that he won't remember his old life.

and so did they all after the bomb just wake up starting this new life, and believing they'd had it the entire time? but everything up til the bomb really did still happen to them? jesus, desmond going in and out of consciousness in two different bodies in two different universes at the same fucking time. vozzek totally had it right. about sun, too. they're just going back and forth, but this time we saw it in real time. his whole interaction with penny on the stairs... insane. i fucking love this show.

tessalasset
04-07-2010, 12:41 AM
also this is kind of nice to have.

Running list of Things Vozzek Noticed. (http://www.4815162342.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47576)

tessalasset
04-07-2010, 12:52 AM
I also really like this E! recap of tonight. (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b175281_lost_redux_find_out_what_this_show.html?si d=twitterfeed_kristin&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=twitterfeed&utm_campaign=twitterfeed_kristin)

tessalasset
04-07-2010, 12:55 AM
Also Damon Lindelof tweeted that "Desmond" was trending last night on twitter. Awesome.

tessalasset
04-07-2010, 02:09 AM
http://s4.faceinhole.com/10/4/7/5a4927da472ea391.jpg

atom heart
04-07-2010, 06:45 AM
By the way, I'm on the east coast. Also, why would you be on here during the show?

Is Widmore's toaster that much of a spoiler?

captncrzy
04-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Most of us are on the west coast. I didn't think anyone would be in here posting spoilers while the show was still on. It's a fair request-don't post spoilers until the show is over on all coasts.

vinylmartyr
04-07-2010, 07:21 AM
So when are we gonna see Jack and Juliette hook up in the flash sideways?

Gin N' Jewz
04-07-2010, 07:22 AM
fuckin gay

vinylmartyr
04-07-2010, 08:18 AM
So would you rather find true love or go to hell?

Astrid
04-07-2010, 10:03 AM
1. checking the thread while the show is on is retarded. theres no way everyone on the internet will have enough common sense to not post spoilers. sometimes you just have to suck it up and take some personal fucking responsibility.

2. THIS EPISODE WAS FUCKING AWESOMMMMMME. desmond episodes always rock my world.

3. i think its funny that for charlie, des, and daniel it was love that pushed them to remember the OT. that surprised me.

4. i dont think juliette will be back. she left the show bc she didnt want to fly back to hawaii all the time anymore, shes doing V now. i would love to see her though.

StubbADubb
04-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Amazing episode last night...so good to see Desmond, Charlie and Sketchy again :)

I feel like that alt-universe is all going to go down in the end at St. Sebastian Hospital...Jack works there...Claire is there as a patient...Jin will bring Sun for treatment...I think Juliette may work there, and will be working with either Claire or Sun as both are pregnant...Sayid will be there visiting his brother...Sawyer and Miles will be there to investigate the shooting @ the restaurant and will want to talk to Sun & Jin...Locke may finally show up for a consult w/ Jack...Not sure how the rest of the castaways will get there, but Desmond will have the manifest...

Anyway, super stoked for the remaining shows now...and a little sad...

http://roflrazzi.wordpress.com/files/2009/12/celebrity-pictures-matthew-fox-promised-cake.jpg

Blinken
04-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Great episode, easily my favorite of the season so far.

Capt it is your fault for being in the thread during the east coast airing. You should know that Lost threads and sites contain spoilers once the episode is broadcast. Just stay away from 6pm PST until you finish the episode it is not that hard.

tessalasset
04-07-2010, 11:04 AM
captncrzy, for the entire history of this LOST thread, the east coast people have started talking about it as soon as it was over for them. there have always been spoilers in here the night of the show. and SO many times i have wanted to come in here as i see the thread continue to be bumped to the top, but i knew better, because i hadn't seen the episode yet. i don't check this thread from 6 pm on during tuesday nights, until i've watched the episode. that's just how it is.

captncrzy
04-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Why is it such a big deal to ask to not post spoilers until the show is over? Fuck. You guys are all being dumb.

Fine, I just won't come in here then

tessalasset
04-07-2010, 11:06 AM
because the east coasters and the central standard timers aren't going to wait for you to watch the episode.

Dogvolta
04-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Why is it such a big deal to ask to not post spoilers until the show is over? Fuck. You guys are all being dumb.

Fine, I just won't come in here then

: (

tessalasset
04-07-2010, 11:28 AM
just do what everyone else does already and wait until you've watched the episode. it's really not that big of a deal.

fancy restaurant
04-07-2010, 12:09 PM
that was the best episode of Lost.

J~$$$$
04-07-2010, 12:47 PM
THINGS I NOTICED - Happily Ever After

Like most fans, I've always looked forward to Desmond-centric episodes. He's given us action, sorrow, loss, laughter, heartbreak, triumph, and probably the most popular love story in all of LOST. But in retrospect, Desmond's episodes have repeatedly given us something even more important: startling, game-changing revelations about the show.

Flashes Before Your Eyes, The Constant, Jughead - these episodes changed the very way we viewed things, and each of them sent our story spiraling in all new directions. And now, with Happily Ever After, Desmond's last episode does a lot more than just answer a few questions. It maps out a detailed blueprint as to what's going to happen in LOST's home stretch, as well as stopping to hint at subtle things that might've been staring us right in the face all along.

For six years we've wanted answers. Ready or not, here they come. Things I Noticed:

LOST Island... Headwound Capital of the Universe
As cool as Widmore's been these last few days, it was good to see Desmond deliver a nice, old-fashioned skull-crushing beating. He deserves no less for dragging Des back to the island, even if it was to save the known universe from imploding. He took his lumps, but he also reminded us of his own sacrifice, which looking back now seems fairly substantial. The only difference is that Charles Widmore chose to sacrifice these things for the good of the island, whereas Desmond did not. Not yet, anyway.

Widmore's overall attitude has definitely changed since he arrived on the island. In the past we've seen him manipulating anyone and everyone in order to make his way back. Now that he's here, Widmore seems to have adopted an open and honest approach to solving the last few pieces of the puzzle. Even if he's not giving Desmond or Jin all the answers at once, it doesn't seem as if he's hiding very much either. It also doesn't seem that he's lying - and after watching nearly six seasons of LOST, we can all pretty much consider ourselves experts on that subject.

Someone Get Me a MidiChlorian Count, STAT!

With the introduction of Zoe and Seamus, things have taken a markedly scientific turn on LOST. Monsters and mystical daggers have given way to laptops, gauges, dials, generators, and a giant pair of solenoids that must've been strapped to the sub's roofrack. Charles Widmore is cranking up more than his timetable as he jacks the gauss controls from his reluctant henchman. Seamus' hestitation to throttle up the generator was pretty funny when compared to the switch-happy co-worker who fried poor Simmons.

Electromagnetism has always been a part of LOST, and that's okay. I just hope it gets used sparingly, and not as an excuse to strip away the awesome mythology and mystique they've taken six whole seasons to build. I have no problem with introducing some science to counteract all of the recent faith... but if they start going all Lamp Post calculation and Valenzetti Equation on us, I for one will be sorely disappointed.

Although Widmore used Simmons' death-chamber as a test for Desmond, it's not too big of a stretch to say he's looking for a way to kill or stop the smoke monster. Whether he'll try to lure him in there like General Zod or just blast some giant electromagnetic pulse across the island, I guess the end result is still the same. Superman or Matrix, choose your poison.

Let Me Offer You My Driver, Mother!

The Desmond/Claire scene established a few things, the first of them being that I was wrong in my assumption about LA X. Turns out Desmond was on Oceanic Flight 815, and apparently he didn't know Jack at all. Here we see him vaguely begin remembering something as he stares at the arrival/departure board, but as always he's pulled back to reality before anything substantial can happen - this time by Hurley.

If Desmond's offer to Claire seemed overly friendly, maybe it's because he vaguely remembered her too. Being around each other seems to serve as a catalyst for remembering things when it comes to characters who've shared time on the island. Jack remembered Desmond on the plane, Ben cocked his head in recognition at Alex, Kate stared pointedly at Jack... all through season six these little flashes of acknowledgment have been happening. Later on this episode Charlie would cause Desmond to not only remember, but even to flash back temporarily to his pre-LAX life. This would eventually prompt Desmond to ask Minkowski for the flight manifest , as he somehow realizes getting everyone together for a Flight 815 reunion will help to further enlighten them all - Desmond included.

It was cool to see Minkowski again, too. Initially he seems overeager to help, but in a sleazy limo-driver-who-gets-kickbacks kind of way. By the end of the episode however, my opinion of him totally changed. George Minkowski, like Abaddon, is more than just Driving Ms. Daisy here. Minkowski is in the loop. Minkowski is like Charlie, like Keamy, like Charlotte... like many of LOST's other characters who've died in the island's timeline, and who are now a more 'knowledgeable' part of the LAX universe. His offer to help Desmond "with anything he might need" seemed a little loaded to me.

The Scales of Justice... Balanced with Backgammon Chips

Here, in an overly-gushing scene where I thought they might actually give each other a handy, Charles Widmore is singing Desmond's praises to a shot of 60-year old MacCutcheon's whisky. This isn't just a clap on the back for a job well-done... it's pure, unadulterated, unfiltered appeasement, designed to keep Desmond pacified and questionless in the LAX timeline. Yet whoever manufactured or created this reality to keep Desmond happy doesn't know him very well, because when it comes to what makes Des tick they forgot one all-important thing: LOVE.

As much as original Desmond desired Charles Widmore's blessing, the purpose for wanting such approval was always Penny. That purpose is absent here, in the LAX timeline. Desmond's new gig keeps him happy only up until Charlie points out how purposeless and meaningless his existence really is. It's Charlie who shows Desmond what he's really missing - a life with Penny and his newborn son - and it's Charlie who oversteps cosmic boundaries to get this message across. That "violation" Ms. Hawking mentions later on? It's all on Charlie, and it's probably going on his permanent record.

Look at the way Widmore speaks to Desmond in this scene. He talks about being blessed to "have him in his employ" (almost as if he has him in his pocket), and speaks about how "indispensable" Desmond is. He even goes above and beyond normal praise, making sure to reinforce how happy Desmond should be to be free from commitments and attachments.

Widmore is pulling the wool over LAX_Desmond's eyes, here. He needs him to not question things, and to not dig too deeply into any emotions that might remind him of his prior life with Penny. This gets reiterated by Ms. Hawking later on during their own conversation together, but in this scene it's important to note how adamant Charles gets about Desmond flying solo - and staying that way. LAX Widmore and Hawking remain on the team that wants to keep things status quo. They want things to happen they way they're "supposed to", possibly just to keep the loop going.

School's In... and Charlie's Teaching the First Lesson Underwater

Desmond's arrival at the police station cues up the requisite mirror scene, in which he sees a reflection of himself. From this point forward things change, and truths resurface. More specifically, Charlie brings about these changes in Desmond... from the moment he walks untouched through busy traffic - without a care in the world - to the second he jerks the wheel of Des's car into the depths of that marina.

At the bar, the first thing Charlie does is ask Desmond if he's happy. It's like he's testing the extent to which Charles Widmore and the new timeline has brainwashed him. Charlie corrects Desmond by telling him he doesn't even remotely know what happiness is, and then goes on to tell of the life-altering experience he had while slipping into unconsciousness. He also tells Desmond he's seen "something real", and goes on to tell him exactly what it is: the TRUTH.

All of these are elements we've talked about - in both my recaps and your comments - over the past several weeks. The mirrors reflecting back the truth... the water acting as a catalyst... the flashes of remembrance between the LAX and island timelines, brought about whenever these people run into each other. Charlie solidifies it all here, finally laying it out as undeniable fact. He calls Desmond out as a glorified babysitter, laughs at his 'perks', and hints toward his entire LAX 'life' being nothing but a pipe dream.

In talking about Claire, Charlie gets taken away to another place. "I know her. We're together. It's like we've always been, and always will be". Charlie's being totally candid here, and we all know it. Desmond however, still needs more convincing. This is where Charlie offers Desmond a choice, while driving along to DriveShaft. But it's also where Charlie violates the rules... taking that choice away from Desmond only seconds after giving it to him.

The underwater car scene, with Desmond's chilling revelation, was absolutely incredible. I think what made it a hundred times better was the absolute cessation of sound or music as Desmond saw NOT PENNY'S BOAT scrawled on Charlie's hand. Desmond's face was worth a thousand words, and I felt like a huge piece of the puzzle just locked into place, for both him and for us.

Charlie knew. He stepped beyond the scope of the rules to show Desmond. He didn't allow Des the choice to see things for himself, he flat out took control of the situation and gave him the answer.

This is a FIRST. It's also huge moment for LOST. It verifies that people outside of the 'game' - people who've died or gone over to the other side - are somehow in the know about things. Up until now, we've only seen these people permitted to push or nudge things in the right direction, the way Charlie did to Hurley during The Shape of Things To Come. Here however, Charlie wipes his ass with the rulebook. His flagrant foul gets called later on by Hawking, but at this point I'm not so sure Charlie even cares. He sits back in his seat, satisfied that he conveyed his message, expecting to die as he knows he's supposed to. And for one last time, Desmond saves him.

Get Me Out Of Here Before I Smother, Brotha!

As much as water acted as a catalyst for Desmond's cross-universe visions, so does electromagnetism. The MRI he receives at the hospital triggers even further memories of his life with Penny. LAX_Desmond is almost fully converted... he's gone from a non-believer to someone desperate to hook up with the woman he somehow knows he loves, all in the span of just a few hours.

After cornering Charlie for more answers, Desmond gets clued in a bit further. "This doesn't matter", Charlie tells him, gesturing to the new, foreign life that's been thrust upon them both. "None of this matters. All that matters is that we felt it."

Does this mean the LAX timeline doesn't matter? Not at all. Charlie's telling Desmond that he's barking up the wrong tree. He advises Desmond to stop worrying about rock concerts, Widmore's errands, and inconsequential bullshit. This is exactly the same as when Rose and Bernard told Sawyer, Kate, and Juliet to stop worrying about bombs, guns, and time travel. Penny is what matters. Love is what matters. Realizing that you have everything that you ever really wanted right there in front of you? That's what matters.

Let Me Course-Correct This Butter Knife's Place in the Universe, and I'll Be Right With You...

Desmond's latest encounter with Ms. Hawking is immediately dripping with hint-laden dialogue, and her initial face betrays how shocked and totally unhappy she is to see him. Like Widmore, she's doing everything to keep Desmond from remembering stuff. She jams "It's a travesty we haven't met before" down his throat rather quickly, in hopes he doesn't recall their meeting at the ring shop.

Truth be told, Hawking could care less whether Drive Shaft rocks her charity ball. What she's most concerned about is keeping Desmond away from Penny, and possibly away from her son Daniel as well. She's relieved to hear Desmond's only crisis involves not signing Charlie up for the gig, and she dismisses quickly him with a nice "What happened, happened". Unfortunately for her though (and thanks to Charlie) Desmond now recognizes Penny's name when he hears it.

Hawking's entire demeanor changes as she pulls Desmond aside, knowing that the jig is up. She tells him to 'stop' but remains obscure; she can't even tell him exactly what it is he must stop doing. Hawking is beyond pissed, and not at Des. She makes it known that someone's "changed the way" Desmond sees things, and that doing so was a violation. We know Charlie is the responsible party here, and that by helping Des remember he just tossed a huge wrench into Hawking's works.

Eloise continues with something even more revealing: that Desmond should be happy because he has a "perfect life", and the one thing he always wanted: her husband's approval. The idea that she would know this seems to span both timelines, because it's within the island-based universe that Desmond sought Charles Widmore's blessing. It also shows a serious error in judgement in thinking this was the one thing Desmond wanted "most of all". That honor goes to Penny, but these chumps haven't figured that out yet.

So let's deconstruct this for a moment. The fact that Desmond's pre-LAX needs have been taken into consideration seems to indicate we're seeing a manufactured reality. Someone or something has constructed the LAX universe based upon what it thought Desmond - and possibly every other character - would want.

Just take a look at Daniel, now a musician. Certainly his mother would remember her young son's only desire was to play the piano, and now we see him placated by having grown into a talented pianist. The only problem is that Daniel is not happy or placated, because running into Charlotte has reminded him of his past life. This causes him to go physics-happy all over a perfectly good notebook, prompting an investigation of his own.

So who created this new universe? We've always assumed it was Juliet, setting off Jughead with that rock. Yet someone has definitely stacked the deck here. Someone with intimate knowledge (or scanning?) of our main characters has tried, in a very Matrix-like way, to create the perfect utopia for each and every one of our heroes.

In a careful, calculated manner, someone has been trying to give our LAX characters exactly what it thinks they want, but at the same time, keep them completely in the dark about what happened in their previous, island-based lives. They're using happiness to suppress past memories, but love is the one thing that wasn't counted on. Is is so often the case, Love overrides everything else, spoiling the plan.

Daniel (Widmore) Faraday... Because Someone Still Needs to Represent the Skinny Tie
As if two mega-important conversations weren't enough for Desmond this episode, he goes and has a third with Daniel. Here's where our minds get even more blown away, because Dan starts talking about nuclear bombs and alternate timelines without ever having knowledge of such things. Being a musician and not a physicst hasn't slowed him down a single bit.

Many people have speculated that the LAX timeline is the correct one - the timeline that should've always been. Faraday squashes this theory, telling Desmond that the LAX timeline is actually the aberration. Much as the Oceanic Six timeline was described to be, their current timeline is still NOT right.

In Dan's opinion, they once had another life... but something happened to change things. He describes something catastrophic in the original timeline that needed to be avoided, with the avoidance of this event spinning off a whole new universe. Dan and Desmond now exist in a timeline that shouldn't really be, yet a timeline that was created out of necessity. Somehow, Daniel even knows that he's already set off the bomb.

Now, this isn't to say the LAX timeline still won't end up as the final timeline of the show. In fact, Desmond moving to correct not knowing Penny seems to indicate that it certainly might. Our LAX characters have fixed a hell of a lot of major problems in each of their centric episodes, and they may already be off the island to boot. Sticking around and finishing out their lives here might not be such a bad thing... if only they can slip out from under the thumb of those forces still manipulating them.

It's About Time Sayid Snapped Someone's Neck Again... That Hiatus Has Been Way Too Long

Not much else to say. It was interesting that he spared Zoe, but I guess someone needs to let Widmore know what happened.

Are The Stadiums Open 24/7 In Los Angeles? Because in NY They'd Toss You Out On Your Ass

The number of cool, touching scenes between Desmond and Penny are unfairly balancing the rest of the show's love interests. Watching his future-wife run her Tour De Stad, LAX_Desmond is fully and wholly converted, finishing the job that Charlie started.

Desmond faints, and his mind transitions unconsciously into the island timeline. Hopefully by now this shouldn't surprise anyone. What is surprising however, is that Desmond takes his memories with him.

Maybe it's his exposure to electromagnetic radiation - in both timelines - that allows this to happen. Maybe it's because he and Daniel act as each other's constants. Maybe it's just a plot point necessary to the last few episodes of the show. In the end, none of that matters. The only thing that's important is that island Desmond now seems to retain some or all of LAX_Desmond's knowledge. He's doing Widmore's bidding because he believes his assertion that everyone and everything will cease to exist should they fail. Yet at the same time, Desmond's smile betrays a whole lot of hope. The way he was grinning, it was almost as if he knew everything would be alright - whether it be in this life or the next.

Happily ever after, right? Sure. Except there's one thing that should still bother us: the sacrifice Widmore mentions Desmond must make. I've got a sinking feeling that sacrifice might just be his son, Charlie. If Des and Penny walk off into the LAX sunset, baby Charlie doesn't exist. Just like Widmore and Hawking, Desmond and Penny would have sacrificed a child to the island. Let's hope the writers and producers love Des as much as we do, so this doesn't have to happen.

:).

caco0283
04-07-2010, 03:00 PM
because the east coasters and the central standard timers aren't going to wait for you to watch the episode.

i never post in here but if i did i wouldnt be able to wait 3 hours for you guys to maybe watch it. So much is fresh on your mind when you watch it and you have to get it out right away. I have a Lost party with my friends and it would suck if we couldnt speak about it for 3 hours just cos my gf gets home from work late.

atom heart
04-07-2010, 03:15 PM
I try to be cryptic too, just for the people who can't help themselves. Seriously, who could figure out "giant toaster". It wasn't like I came in here saying OMG Desmond knows EVERYTHING!!! And Eloise saying cryptic shit is par for the course for a Desmond episode. I didn't even mention Desmond for those who don't watch previews or figure that centricity is a spoiler.

Aneeeeways
How creepy was Desmond's weirdly calm smile the whole end of the episode? Now we have murderous Ninja Zombie Sayid and Happy-Go-Lucky fried-brain Desmond off for a happy jaunt through Hydra Island.

J~$$$$
04-07-2010, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't want it any other way.

digitaldragon03
04-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Anyone else notice the parallels between Desmond and Minkowski, and Locke and Abaddon? Minkowski and Abaddon are hired by Widmore. They both tell their passengers that they can get anything that is needed, even strange things such as finding Helen for Locke and getting the manifest for Desmond. Locke was trying to get everyone together to return to the island, while Desmond's asking of the manifest suggests that he might be doing the same thing.

Also, as a west-coaster, i know not to look at this thread until AFTER ive seen the episode. Its dumb to think that everyone else should hold off their conversation to appease you.

kitt kat
04-07-2010, 03:56 PM
I just can't wait until everyone knows what's up in bizarro LA.

Fuckin' Desmond.

captncrzy
04-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Sorry I said anything. Can we just drop it now? I was wrong. I apologize for having too much wine and being a little stupid. You've all schooled me in here (and in a PM to boot) enough. Ok?

I WAS WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we drop it now?

atom heart
04-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Officially dropped.

Did anyone catch what happened to Jin when Ninja Zombie Sayid took off with Desmond?

StubbADubb
04-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Never apologize for having too much wine :)

captncrzy
04-07-2010, 06:36 PM
No, what happened to Jin?

tessalasset
04-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Monsters and mystical daggers have given way to laptops, gauges, dials, generators, and a giant pair of solenoids that must've been strapped to the sub's roofrack.

this made me giggle.

tessalasset
04-07-2010, 10:10 PM
So let's deconstruct this for a moment. The fact that Desmond's pre-LAX needs have been taken into consideration seems to indicate we're seeing a manufactured reality. Someone or something has constructed the LAX universe based upon what it thought Desmond - and possibly every other character - would want.

Just take a look at Daniel, now a musician. Certainly his mother would remember her young son's only desire was to play the piano, and now we see him placated by having grown into a talented pianist. The only problem is that Daniel is not happy or placated, because running into Charlotte has reminded him of his past life. This causes him to go physics-happy all over a perfectly good notebook, prompting an investigation of his own.

So who created this new universe? We've always assumed it was Juliet, setting off Jughead with that rock. Yet someone has definitely stacked the deck here. Someone with intimate knowledge (or scanning?) of our main characters has tried, in a very Matrix-like way, to create the perfect utopia for each and every one of our heroes.

In a careful, calculated manner, someone has been trying to give our LAX characters exactly what it thinks they want, but at the same time, keep them completely in the dark about what happened in their previous, island-based lives. They're using happiness to suppress past memories, but love is the one thing that wasn't counted on. Is is so often the case, Love overrides everything else, spoiling the plan.

yes.

atom heart
04-08-2010, 09:57 AM
This.

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2010/04/Lost-Raptor-Cage.jpg

J~$$$$
04-08-2010, 10:04 AM
This.

hahaha yes!

kitt kat
04-08-2010, 03:58 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/08/lost.henry.ian.cusick.ppl/index.html?eref=rss_latest&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_latest+%28RSS%3A+Mo st+Recent%29

digitaldragon03
04-08-2010, 06:53 PM
This.

I totally thought about that cage too. Jungle setting, spotlights, flashes of light from inside. I hope that it was more of a reference than a coincidence.

Courtney
04-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Or maybe they just got lazy and went to the local prop house, considering that they were filmed at the same location.

tessalasset
04-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Kat, I want to read that, but are there any spoilers in the article?

atom heart
04-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Kinda spoilery.

donkey sex
04-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Claire needs a shower

furnace
04-11-2010, 10:28 PM
the spoiler names an actor who stars opposite of Cusick. Im heckastoked that there is a LOST thread here. I've planned out three Lost shirts for the day, and three at night.

yah, I'll be one of those guys. :)

tessalasset
04-12-2010, 01:41 AM
Oh my god I hope I run into you. What's your name?

digitaldragon03
04-12-2010, 01:44 AM
the spoiler names an actor who stars opposite of Cusick. Im heckastoked that there is a LOST thread here. I've planned out three Lost shirts for the day, and three at night.

yah, I'll be one of those guys. :)
I ordered a Dharma t-shirt too. I was gonna get a lab coat with the Dharma logo but then i thought of the heat.

atom heart
04-12-2010, 04:17 AM
I wore a lab coat to Coachella one year. It was actually kind of nice. Flowy enough not to get too hot during the day and thick enough to keep off the wind at night. The only problem was that some frantic people thought I was a medic!

furnace
04-12-2010, 07:58 AM
What up, Lostchella?

Myself and my cuz, who burned through 5.5 seasons of LOST (all caps, all the time) in February '10 to join in on the final season now, will be hanging, so if you see someone in one of these shirts who's talking in LOST metaphors, then come and say whatup! I'm Taz. My first and only Coachella was 06.

http://i40.tinypic.com/ezpefr.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2q99og5.jpg
He'd convince everyone to come back to Coachella 2011.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2w3z5hh.jpg
This one's called Desmond's Replacement.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2aevuow.png
The funeral home where Jack visited Locke's body. Jack was listening to Nirvana and The Pixies the two times he visited Hoffs-Drawlar. This is from one of the best episodes of LOST ever.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2dumrv8.jpg
And my personal feelings about our favorite hunter.

:) 4 more days! (And LOST is on tomorrow!)

furnace
04-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Oh man, my best friend in the world and 7 time Coachella attendee got his appendix burst, so he cant make it to the desert this weekend. :(

I was gonna make a daytime DESMOND HUME IS MY CONSTANT shirt, but I think I'm gonna use his name instead as an homage.

robaev
04-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Someone should make a Lost viewing party.

I tried to get on the set once but got chased off the premises.
I just wanted to see Sawyer's abs!

Sigur Ros held a concert in Hawai'i and I was in the way of Hurley.

tessalasset
04-12-2010, 11:22 PM
I've posted these in here before but here they are again. My shitty pics from when I got to go on the set of Lost. It was the burial/funeral scene for Libby and Ana Lucia in season 2.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069136_2585.jpg
driving with Kate in a van from the makeup trailers over to the set. she smelled really good. someone asked her what she put in her hair and she showed us a can of this spray that makes your hair look like you just got out of the ocean.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069137_3014.jpg
i was sitting with the DP John Bartley at first as we watched what was being shot on the monitors. i wasn't allowed to take any pics obvs so i had to do it stealth with my phone. here's charlie on the right monitor.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069138_3448.jpg
sun and jin on the right monitor

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069139_3906.jpg
a bunch of crew watching the scene being filmed. a couple women were sitting down there holding Aaron duplicate babies and trying to keep them happy.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069140_2432.jpg
at first this was my only view of the scene being shot.

then john had me come up and watch right in front of the actors. i didn't dare take a pic then, out in the open. but here's what it looked like. (this is a photo i found online)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069142_3318.jpg
they were all crowded around graves 4 and 5. I was standing behind grave 1 watching it being filmed.

they pretty much just filmed the same take over and over, of the camera swooping down on them walking up to the graves and then slow close-ups of the main cast looking all sad. like this pic:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069143_3700.jpg

everyone was there except locke and eko (who were filming a hatch scene in waikiki) and jack, who showed up later in the scene. i was bummed about that one. john bartley asked me if i wanted to know who was in the graves, but i told him i wanted to be surprised.

here's a video of a part of the scene filmed after what i saw:

lWzFFAAER3M

actually here's an exact video of what i saw being filmed, up until :25 when some girl starts doing a spoof v/o. i was there for probably 3 hours, and they managed to get 25 seconds of film. amazing.

jHlAB5zZC38

and i just wanna put these in here again for posterity. my first time in oahu in early 2006 i did a little self-made tour of lost locations and here's what i came up with.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068793_6399.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068794_553.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068795_1033.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068798_515.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068800_624.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068801_4735.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068803_5113.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068805_6032.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068806_5479.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068807_2117.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068808_4627.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068809_4358.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068810_2629.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068811_9386.jpg
that's the actual bartender from the scene

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068812_333.jpg
"bus station" where kate finally gets captured by the marshall in season 2

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068819_8474.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068820_8794.jpg
park where sayid plays soccer

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068823_7980.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068825_8781.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068830_721.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068832_7630.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068833_8084.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068837_1369.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068838_1694.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068839_2202.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068841_3148.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068847_6087.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068848_6657.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068849_6959.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068850_7401.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068920_1883.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068921_2159.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068922_7120.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068923_7406.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068925_8363.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068926_8645.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068942_9571.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068945_1114.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068946_1421.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068954_7912.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068955_8260.jpg

random jungle/beach shots

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068972_5107.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068974_5591.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068975_6041.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30068977_7035.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069003_1140.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069004_1609.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069005_2072.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069025_3770.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069026_4082.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069027_6125.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069031_8986.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069028_7506.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069029_8007.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069030_8501.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069032_2340.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069033_3793.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069036_4780.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069037_2899.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069038_3319.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069039_3738.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069041_4445.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069043_1256.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069044_1524.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069045_1944.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069047_4676.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069048_4982.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069050_5826.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069051_6131.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069078_8980.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v31/227/57/81500275/n81500275_30069079_9284.jpg

J~$$$$
04-13-2010, 07:45 AM
You are such a nerd its awesome. The best is that you went as far as taking pictures inside of the popeyes.

furnace
04-13-2010, 07:50 AM
totally awesome.

chairmenmeow47
04-13-2010, 11:41 AM
i've been super busy & missed the lost thread last week :( just here to say how much i fucking loved last week's episode <3 <3 <3 i would LOVE a "desmond hume is my constant" tee-shirt!!!!

tessalasset
04-13-2010, 11:53 AM
and justin keep in mind when i did this trip, there were only like two little websites dedicated to Lost locations, so i pretty much had to find everything on my own. i did all the planning before i left LA cause i had no computer, internet, or GPS while i was there. i found all those places with just google maps printed out onto pieces of paper. it bums me out cause i could have done so much more with better technology. i also wish i had the screenshots with me at the time and i could have lined up the pictures better. but the cool thing is i think it was still so early in Lost's life that i didn't run into any other fans at any of the locations. it was a very cool trip.

thestripe
04-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Very cool, tessa.

atom heart
04-13-2010, 06:09 PM
No spoilers in this one.
The Willy Wonka preview for next week! HA! Menacing! Hilarious!

J~$$$$
04-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Loved this episode, but I love every episode. The dynamite scene was awesome.

JOHN LOCKE MUST DIE!

Leeartlee
04-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Wow, that was a good episode. Ironically, this was a much stronger Desmond episode than his central one last week.

Astrid
04-13-2010, 09:07 PM
the best part of this episode was the trailer for next week.

tessalasset
04-13-2010, 11:42 PM
I agree with Astrid.

Wasn't a huge fan of tonight's. I just don't really care about the Hurley/Libby thing. And next week's trailer was AMAZING. I watched it three times. So effing creepy.

tessalasset
04-13-2010, 11:46 PM
3y4MP04mjY0

GeezrRckr
04-13-2010, 11:59 PM
yeah, the hurley/libby thing is like the most unsexy cougar action ever.

the ending and the trailer were awesome. can't wait for next week.

bballarl
04-14-2010, 12:01 AM
Hurley is going to lay down the law.

atom heart
04-14-2010, 04:39 AM
Too bad they don't have time to show a conceptual Desmond-in-the-well episode a la The Wind Up Bird Chronicle.

bartelby
04-14-2010, 05:35 AM
is there anything Willy Wonka (circa Gene Wilder) can't do?

now Sunday night won't feel so sad with this to look forward to

captncrzy
04-14-2010, 06:09 AM
I thought it was a great episode.

1) Now we know what the whispers are

2) More confirmation that the two timelines are bleeding through-and not just for the dead or "special" Desmond

3) Desmond plotting to bring everyone together (sending Locke to the hospital to get worked on by Jack, I presume)

4) Liliana's death-wtf? Totally random.

It was an entire episode dedicated to the great push to the end. I loved it.

thestripe
04-14-2010, 07:44 AM
FLocke saying hello to Jack was creepy. Jack looked pretty shook'n up.

Cancersticks1
04-14-2010, 07:47 AM
Seriously, how much fucking dynamite was the Black Rock hauling? And how is it that it didn't go up on it's own sitting in the heat for 140 years?

Sexecutioner
04-14-2010, 07:52 AM
FLocke saying hello to Jack was creepy. Jack looked pretty shook'n up.

yea, what was that look all about from jack? did i miss something?

Cancersticks1
04-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Spoilerish if you haven't watched. But then why would you be here?

The memories everyone is having in the ALT are kind of bugging me. If this is actually a parallel timeline, then they shouldn't have them yet, it's been like 3 days since the plane landed, Libby and Hurley didn't even meet until 48 days later. And "not Penny's boat" was well after that. Does that make the island a previous life? Or is this a construct/pocket universe kind of thing, and these events take place after the island events? If so why do they seem to be simultaneously interacting with their counterparts on island in 2007? Not 2004, and not after the island events. Also, did Desmond smash Locke in order to kill him since he subconsciously knows he's evil, or because he needs to die AGAIN for Jacob to inhabit, or simply to give him the revelatory near-death experience he and Charlie had? He didn't take that extreme a measure with Hurley.

Cancersticks1
04-14-2010, 07:56 AM
yea, what was that look all about from jack? did i miss something?

Jack just found out Locke "wasn't dead" last he saw him he was putting his dad's shoes on his dead feet.

Astrid
04-14-2010, 09:02 AM
okay this is what i thought, but correct me if im wrong, 5 minutes prior hurley said "we have to go talk to locke!!!" and jack said "okay LETS GO TALK TO LOCKE!"

so then wtf? did he assume hurley meant he was going to talk to lockes spirit or something?

Cancersticks1
04-14-2010, 09:04 AM
okay this is what i thought, but correct me if im wrong, 5 minutes prior hurley said "we have to go talk to locke!!!" and jack said "okay LETS GO TALK TO LOCKE!"

so then wtf? did he assume hurley meant he was going to talk to lockes spirit or something?

No he knew what he meant, it was a couple episodes ago when Sun, Ben and Ilana dropped the news on him that Locke was an undead evil hoobajoob, but he hadn't confronted him yet.

Jgomesart
04-14-2010, 09:05 AM

^^beat me to it

Earlier on in the season they mentioned to Jack that Locke was still around, so he already knew it, maybe his look was more of a "seeing is believing type thing". He probably had his doubts beforehand.

atom heart
04-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Arzt'd! (http://twitpic.com/1fftuy)

Leeartlee
04-14-2010, 09:18 AM
When Ben says "The Island was done with her. I wonder what the Island will do with us" what he really was saying was "The writers were done with her. Wonder what the writers do with us"

chairmenmeow47
04-14-2010, 10:22 AM
ilana getting blown up was amazing. my girlfriend & i completely missed the shot where she showed the dynamite in her bag, so we were floored. it would have been nice if she had taken that annoying tina fey look alike with her though.i also jokingly said that desmond was going to run locke down... and then he did. those two things were awesome.

the love stuff is getting old, though i was happy to see libby. i can't believe it's almost over.

thestripe
04-14-2010, 10:55 AM

It was the way FLocke only said hello to Jack that felt odd. It was a weird scene.

Also, I love how FLocke looks at Sawyer. Each episode Sawyer is edging a bit closer to getting smoked.

Blinken
04-14-2010, 11:08 AM
I was wondering if Alt Locke is really the smoke monster, but doesn't know. They all get off the island but as a last ditch effort to contain smokey Eloise and Widmore send everyone to this other time. the sideways is not really sideways but instead it is the future.

thestripe
04-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Will someone please post the vozz when you get a chance? I can't access that site at work. I'm bored.

tessalasset
04-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Also, I love how FLocke looks at Sawyer. Each episode Sawyer is edging a bit closer to getting smoked.

you're right. i do find myself getting more nervous in their scenes.

atom heart
04-14-2010, 01:43 PM
As a demerit to the writers, I was wishing that they would get on to kill Kate and Zoe. They're terrible at writing female characters. As annoying as I thought Ilana was, who was she? I thought it was pretty lazy to go and blow her up.

J~$$$$
04-14-2010, 01:55 PM
As a demerit to the writers, I was wishing that they would get on to kill Kate and Zoe. They're terrible at writing female characters. As annoying as I thought Ilana was, who was she? I thought it was pretty lazy to go and blow her up.

I thought that was the best scene in many an episode. I was like "damnnnn!" way to kill off a character, no slow death, no painful goodbye, just boom goes the dynamite.

Im glad Hurley finally got his date, and its Sawyers time to go or do something kick ass.

kitt kat
04-14-2010, 02:05 PM
What a snoozer of an episode this week. It kind of lost (heh) me, too. And seriously, what a way to kill the bitch with the dynamite.

I do love how everyone in the sideways flash is starting to "know." Now. I'm with Desmond hitting Locke so he can go see Jack.

kitt kat
04-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Also, Tessa, that's beyond awesome. I am totally going to the beach next time I'm in Hawaii.

Leeartlee
04-14-2010, 03:00 PM
While the love story between Hurley and Libby is a total fucking snoozefest, at least we got some actual concrete answers about the crossover between the two worlds. And there was plenty of actions. I mean, Desmond fucking RAN OVER Locke with his car. If that's not hardcore, I don't know what is.

J~$$$$
04-14-2010, 04:17 PM
What is daily double.

Things I Noticed - "Everybody Loves Hugo" by Vozzek69
Posted by DarkUFO at 4/14/2010 10:59:00 PM View Comments
Labels: Everybody Loves Hugo, Recaps, Vozzek69
Bookmark and Share

THINGS I NOTICED - Everybody Loves Hugo

Everyone loves Hugo episodes. They always deliver a message, but they usually do it with an interesting mix of humor and sarcasm. This week, they even did it with darker and more shadowy overtones. Despite the increasing tension and imminent violence of the upcoming storyline, Hurley was still able to shine through. Things I Noticed:

Three... Is a Magic Number
LOST is playing out exactly as Locke predicted it would, way back in the Pilot episode. Two players, two sides, one dark and one light... things were a lot simpler back then, and ideas a lot more innocent. Perhaps this is why John neglected to take the additional force into account - the third grand master - the watchers, the whisperers, those who are apparently 'stuck' on the island through their deeds or misdeeds.

The bright red flower on Libby's grave this episode pointedly reflects the influence of a 3rd party. We've seen this all throughout the show - the use of the color red neatly implemented in some very key ways. Red has been used to make a point (by Eloise Hawking, showing Desmond the red-shoed man), and in scenes alongside the other two black and white forces (Locke's red WV bug alongside black and white sedans, the red hieroglyphics of the Swan's black-on-white countdown timer, etc...) - the list is pretty long.

Yet when it comes to people, red has been used mostly in conjunction with one key character on LOST: Michael. He's the guy wearing the red shirt as the raft launches in Exodus, standing next to Sawyer and Jin in their black and white ones. Mike's also the one who told us the season one joke: "What's black and white and re(a)d all over?"

Perhaps more than anyone else save John Locke, Michael's been the most manipulated pawn in LOST's whole game. You have only to watch the surprise on his face as Michael shoots Libby and Ana Lucia to know one thing: at that very moment, someone else had their finger on Mike's playing piece. He gets manipulated back to the island by forces beyond his control, and spectacularly disposed of once the island is done with him. As far as pawns go, Michael's unimaginative, single-sided approach to problem solving (i.e. bounding randomly into the jungle after Walt every ten minutes) probably made him an easy target. In essence, he was a good tool to use.

Michael is also the one 815'er who never really had a choice at all. From the moment we first see him, people like his ex-wife are making decisions for him. He's always been the victim, played the victim, and seen himself as a man taken advantage of. In that respect, it's only fitting that Michael would ultimately end up in an advisory role, trying to help Hugo make some very important decisions of his own.

Michael showing up in conjunction with the whispers, alongside Libby's red flower, really cements the theory of a third party on LOST. The watchers are the whisperers, and the whisperers are the ones who've been watching. When Mike steps up to Hurley here, it's not with vague hints or cryptic allusions. He flat out tells Hugo he's here to stop him from making a mistake, and then proceeds to tell him exactly what he must do. This is a much more direct influence than we've ever seen before, and it's probably because - one way or another - things are finally drawing down to a conclusion.

The whisperers aren't just watching anymore, they're getting involved. They have a stake in what happens, and they mean to protect it. Hurley's not exactly happy to see Michael, but he is happy to get some outside help. The insight Michael provides comes from outside the show's gameboard, and with some sort of advanced knowledge of what's going to happen. Hurley knows and understands this, and is smart enough not to question it. As he tells Miles later on: "Dead people are more reliable than the live people". At this point, it just makes sense.

I've Been Training My Whole Life For This!

Did you see Richard's face when he looked into Illana's satchel? That was some sweaty, nappy, nasty-looking dynamite! I should've realized what was going to happen here but I'm glad I didn't, because Illana's demise startled the hell out of me almost as bad as what happened to poor Arzt. Fool me once, shame on ABC. Fool me twice... I really should've seen that shit coming.

Sorry, but now that we've seen Illana's whole story arc I have to say that I'm less than impressed. She marched into LOST like she knew what she was doing, but backed it up with nothing but hard talk and a lot of rifle-pointing. She had a lame storyline, brought a very weak crew with her, and came to a totally useless ending. Ille qui nos omnes servabit my ass.

If Illana's only purpose was to tell our characters that they're candidates to replace Jacob, then maybe she should've just sent a telegram. I have a hard time believing Jacob would've taken someone he treated like a daughter and waste her in this way. Either Illana totally screwed up or Illana totally screwed up - as far as I'm concerned there's really no other possibility. If she were following the correct path and making the "right moves" (as Hurley questioned her earlier), there's no way she would've Arzt'd herself like that.

You could maybe convince me that the dark man offed Illana herself. If you examine her last words, she did just call him a 'thing'. We already know how badly the MIB hates that term, and maybe she really pissed him off. But a more likely scenario, I think, is that the writers are just trimming the fat. As the show winds down, we'll need to see more of our bigger heroes and less of Johnny-come-latelys like Illana and Frank (as much as I love that guy).

The only important thing Illana may have done? Burned down Jacob's cabin. Maybe this is what traps the dark man in John Locke's body for good. After all, in reference to the cabin Bram did mention that "someone was using it."

Stood Up On The Fahita Field Trip
Yes, it was good to see Libby again. Her character's exit was abrupt and her story unfinished, and it's always nice to see loose ends getting tied up. She also had some great interaction with Hurley, both this week and in past episodes, and going all the way back to the tail section gives her tons more street-cred than, say, Illana or Zoe.

Like Charlie, Libby remembers. She's not even fully sure what she remembers, she just knows that she feels it. Her revelation didn't happen by touch or even proximity to Hurley - interestingly enough it happened via the television. This screams back to the first time we saw Daniel Faraday, sobbing as he watched footage of the crash of Flight 815. Daniel cried back then without even understanding where those emotions were coming from - just as Libby does here - and this is just one of LOST's many cool tie-ins to past seasons.

Join The Dark Side... We Have Arts & Crafts!
What's whiny, ungrateful, mutinous, and impatient? Flocke's entire encampment, of course. Sawyer's certainly not one for inaction, and we all know how Kate feels about sitting in one place for too long. Carving sticks Eko-style without a care in the world doesn't seem to help smokey's image, and the latest polls indicate popularity has gone way down.

Yet despite all this, the dark man holds his position. He knows he needs the remaining candidates, and more importantly he knows they must come to him on their own. To appease Sawyer and Kate, the MIB makes up some nonsense about 'needing them all together' in order to be able to leave the island. Keeping Ajira in mind, this is something he knows they can understand. Temporarily, it serves as a great excuse to quiet their grumblings, so he can hear the wood when it speaks to him.

Many viewers already suspect that Flocke wants the candidates dead, and I'm jumping on board with them on this idea. Gathering the candidates together is the best way to accomplish the MIB's end goal, because I'm also assuming he can't harm them directly. He'll therefore need someone else to do it, and putting everyone in one place would make destroying them a hell of a lot easier for whomever he picks to do the job.

It's also important to note how John Locke's mannerisms have been shining through the MIB lately. He seems to have adapted John's hobbies as well as his slogans. Maybe he can't keep his hold on John's body forever. Maybe he can't suppress certain aspects of John's persona from exhibiting themselves. This sort of happens to Sayid too, as he let Zoe go last episode rather than shoot her dead. The smoke monster seemed fairly pissed about this, but avoiding any unnecessary killing seems to be something associated with 'good' Sayid.

It's Like a WalkAbout In Your Mouth!

Four days later, Desmond has gotten his greedy little hands on Oceanic 815's flight manifest. From here he takes on a very Jacob-like role, making it his own personal mission to plant seeds of enlightenment everywhere he goes. It's almost like he's recruiting here - bringing his fellow castaways' memories back for some ultimate purpose that only he knows about. First stop: Hurley's chicken shack.

Directly in line with the rules of the island, Desmond doesn't tell Hugo anything outright. He merely gives him a push, and leads him in the right direction. The Desmond we see here is almost omniscient - he's got his LAX memories, but he also has memories of being on the island. More evidence of this exists as Desmond's number is called: 42. Hugo on the other hand, has customer number 38 - indicative of his story in the sideways timeline.

Hospitals, Marinas, Mental Hospitals, Rec-Rooms...

Just like dialogue, names, faces and scenarios, there are certain places throughout LOST that are repeated time and time again. Here at Santa Rosa, we're once again treated to the same familiar people, objects, scenery and decor. I'm thinking Hurley's big donation won't change that fact one bit.

According to Dr. Brooks, Libby has "issues with reality". Unknown to him, he couldn't have put it better. As her mind slips between two different worlds, Libby has very specific memories of her island life, the plane crash, and even knowing Hugo in Santa Rosa during their stay in the previous timeline. We see dialogue identical to both worlds (i.e. "you're doing fine") that seem to jog Hurley's memory for a split second, but he still hasn't had that one big revelation that Charlie or Desmond have shared.

The connect four game dumps cargo a split second after this scene starts, but if you're quick enough to pause it, you'll see that red beats black. ;)

Dude, You've Got Some Black Rock On You...

Again, everything comes full circle. In Exodus, Hugo was running and waving his hands to prevent Locke from setting off dynamite. Here, Hurley is doing the same thing after setting off his own explosion. Hugo's even on the receiving end of another oft-repeated line: "Why did you do that?"

Hurley's a terrible liar, and it was easy to see his initial stutter while faking his conversation with Jacob. Jack caught onto it quickly, and so did Richard. Hugo sticks to his original plan however, which now includes talking to Locke. It's not clear whether he came up with the plan himself or got additional help from Michael, but it's safe to say Mike's okay with it because he later points out Locke's encampment.

"You can either come with me, or you can keep trying to blow stuff up." Great line. What's awesome here is the way Jack steps up to stand behind his friend. There was a point several seasons back where Hurley should've trusted Jack and went with him, but chose not to. Here the roles are reversed, only this time, Jack chooses the correct path. He puts all of his trust in Hurley... and by doing this, Jack lets go.

This is a very big moment for Jack. In his own words, Jack realizes he can't ever fix what happened in the past. With some help from his father, his friends, mirror-smashing therapy, and even Jacob, he's finally stopped trying to put his hands in everything. Totally and completely, Jack is now a man of faith.

This leads to our heroes being divided for what might (thankfully) be the very last time. Richard takes Miles and Ben to form the doomsday demolition team, where we'll probably get a requisite farewell tour of the barracks. Jack, Sun, and Frank agree to follow Hurley into the lion's den. Blowing up that plane seemed like a shitty idea anyway, and the more Illana pushed it the worse it looked.

RIP Black Rock. We had some good times.

Is That Your Brotha, Brotha?

We haven't had a Desmond/Locke scene in a while, and we've never seen Desmond with the man in black. The paring of these two characters, combined with Desmond's recent flash of insight, made for one of the best scenes in the episode.

Flocke doesn't know why Widmore brought Desmond to the island, but he knows he must be important. The electromagnetism thing seemed to bother him slightly, as he asked Desmond to specifically verify what happened. Desmond's honest, straightforward answers seem almost a little suspect, but for some reason he's unable or unwilling to lie about anything here. Flocke's most important question however, comes at the end of their interview: "Do you know who I am?"

This is a question asked all throughout the show. Identity is a huge theme, and I predict it will play a tremendous part in how LOST ultimately ends. Desmond however, answers the question simply and innocently (or does he?) when he responds with: "Of course. You're John Locke".

This pleases the dark man. I think he half-expected Desmond to identify him here, but chalks him up as unknowledgeable from this point forward. This will make it easier, or so he thinks, to faceplant Desmond in that ancient well. Des actually takes smokey's hand as he gets up, which may have enabled this to happen.

Later on however, Desmond slyly exhibits knowledge above and beyond what the MIB originally pegged him for. "Do you know better?" he asks him. "There's nothing special about me brotha. If you ask me, this island has it in for all of us." Desmond is decrying being special here for a reason: he's downplaying his significance. Immediately after that exchange though, he exhibits yet another important power: the ability to see the young boy in the jungle.

The boy sure as hell looks (and smirks) like Jacob. He's older this time, indicating a progression. Once again it angers the MIB, but he walks away this time rather than lose control. Is Jacob really there? Probably not. But the boy's image is a not-so-subtle reminder that he's still present on the island. And that their game is NOT yet over.

The Whispers... Explained in 31 Seconds

Okay, so from completely out of nowhere we get... an ANSWER to the WHISPERS!?!?!?

I was totally blown away... amazed that they answered this question right here, right now, and in such a short, rushed scene. The whispers turn out to be what many people have suspected since day one: the voices of the dead. These are the sounds of those stuck on the island and forced to watch things unfold, due to the actions (or inactions) of their previous lives.

As much as I hate to even say it, Michael's definition of being "unable to move on" jives a hell of a lot with the definition of Purgatory. He's trapped there because of what he did, and for some reason is offering Hugo his help. There's nothing Hurley can do for Michael, other than "don't get yourself killed". The way it looks now, Michael's final redemption lies in seeing that Hugo and his friends succeed.

This simple, easy, cookie-cutter answer to one of LOST's oldest mysteries just seemed way out of place for me. It's not that I didn't like the answer (I did - and it was pretty close to my own view of things), it was the hurried, nonchalant way it was thrown at us. Hugo stumbled off with a sudden "Hey, I think I know what these things are", and a minute later we were back on the way to Locke's camp again. Six years' worth of buildup and anticipation had a very weak, lame release.

Still, I think we'll get a deeper explanation of the whispers than Michael's simple nod. Who's back there? Why haven't they stepped forward before? What's changed that Hugo can suddenly see and even call the whisperers out into the open, asking for their help?

It's also cool to start thinking back and identifying when we've seen the whisperers before. I've always thought Harper (Goodwin's wife) was one of them. Maybe even taller ghost Walt. Ben's mother? She never even made it to the island, but it would make sense if she were among them. People have already pointed out that she appeared within the boundaries of the sonic fence, so her appearance couldn't have been attributed to the MIB.

There's a much bigger picture here, and I think Mike just gave us a small glimpse into it. I'm still holding out hope for a more thorough whispers reveal, so anyone who was unsatisfied like me shouldn't close that door just yet.

Everyone Loves Cheese

Hurley and Libby finally get their picnic, and if anyone deserved it, they did. Libby's memories get jogged even further here, to the point where both she and Hugo begin reciting more identical dialogue. The kiss happens, and that's the trigger... that's when Hurley's memory makes the (hopefully permanent) connection between the LAX and island timelines.

We're lead to believe that love is the bridge between these two worlds. In many ways, that's even true. But what's interesting to realize here is that Hugo didn't remember anything until he was placed into a situation familiar to the island timeline. Once he had the picnic, once he kissed Libby, that's when he remembered.

This is exactly what happened to Desmond last episode. His memory was triggered by an event that occurred in both timelines: seeing Charlie through a pane of glass, underwater. It's also what happened to jog Charlie's memory: doing drugs in the bathroom of Flight 815 was the connection for him, because it's something that happened in both the LAX and island worlds.

For Daniel Faraday, it was love at first sight. Maybe his connection happened because he fell in love with Charlotte immediately upon seeing her in both timelines. Love is important, but circumstances are important also, just as recreating the circumstances of Ajira 316 was crucial to getting back to the island.

Brothhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Flocke may be lying his ass off to get what he wants, but there is one thing I agree with him on. When he tells Desmond "Charles Widmore isn't interested in answers, he's only interested in power", I think he's dead on stating the truth here.

In a very awesome scene, the dark man regards Desmond curiously and asks "Why aren't you afraid?" It really seems to bother him that Desmond is so cool and collected. Maybe it's because the MIB is so used to ruling through fear and show of force. If we're to believe the hieroglyphics, the smoke monster is also used to being fearfully worshipped by followers for what may have been thousands of years.

Yet here's someone who's not only unafraid, he's totally casual about it. Desmond scares the dark man on some very new levels. His enemy, Charles Widmore, went through a lot of trouble to bring Desmond to the island, for one. He's resistant to electromagnetism - something the monster himself can't stand. And if Desmond can see the boy in the jungle, does that make him a candidate? If so, does the "sacrifice" Widmore mentioned last episode involve him taking Jacob's place?

Tossing Desmond into that well was a no-brainer, and Des should've seen it coming. From the sounds of that torch hitting the bottom, it seemed like it probably ended in some water. I'm sure Desmond's okay, just as I'm sure there's a donkey wheel on ice down there. Maybe Flocke expects him to turn it, or expects Desmond to be dead. Either way, he should've double-tapped.

I Know Who You Are... I Know What You Are

Not much to say about Hurley brokering his friends' safe arrival at Locke's camp, other than the Jack/Locke staredown at the end. As these two iconic characters exchanged looks, it really did give me the chills. Watch it closely, and Flocke's head cocks curiously, almost as if he sees something within Jack. Perhaps he sees who Jack "truly is", the way Achara did, because right afterward, the MIB smirks.

The School District Looks Fine Enough, But Desmond's Not a Big Fan of The Faculty

Sometimes the ending of an episode distracts you just enough to flick you right in the balls. That totally happened to me here, as Desmond happily and brutally introduces John Locke to several key surfaces of his moving car.

We know from his brief conversation with Ben that LAX_Desmond has memories of his island life. After lying about looking for a school for his son, Ben tries to catch him in that lie by immediately asking his son's name. Without even so much as a second's hesitation, Desmond instantly answers him: "Charlie".

As far as I see it, there are two possibilies here. In one, Desmond remembers Locke as Flocke. He knows he's the bad guy, and is now trying to kill him. Perhaps he thinks killing John in the off-island world will have an impact on the MIB's ability to maintain his dopleganger-like control over John Locke's emotional spirit, and maybe John can "take back" some of that control again. We've already seen mannerisms of the old John Locke bleed through from time to time, and we've also seen deceased characters in the island timeline transcend some of their memories to their LAX counterparts after they've died.

In the second scenario, Desmond is merely trying to induce the same type of revelation that he, Charlie, Daniel, and Hurley have already had. Somehow, Desmond knows about John's 8-story fall in the previous timeline. He realizes he needs to recreate that same type of hellacious disaster, and runs John down to accomplish this. Far-fetched and gruesome, but hey, this is LOST.

In the end, it's going to be interesting to see what happens here - both in the LAX timeline and on the island. I'm sure Locke's "accident" will be the deciding factor as to whether Jack fixes his spine or not, because I'd bet my ass that Locke's going straight to Shephard hospital. On island, I'm betting there will also be some impact on the MIB's side of things. We'll just have to see.

tessalasset
04-14-2010, 07:19 PM
I like his thought of real John Locke's attributes starting to show through in Flocke. I wonder if MIB only has a certain amount of time to complete his plan before Jacob comes back. Maybe the kid in the jungle really is just the reincarnation of Jacob. The more MIB loses John Locke the harder it's going to be.

captncrzy
04-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Tessa, that's a good point. Maybe the kid-Jacob person is getting older? In the first episode, he was blonde and appeared to be younger looking. In last nights ep, he looked like he was 14, 15 with darker hair. Yet, according to casting reports, it was the same kid.

tessalasset
04-14-2010, 10:10 PM
He definitely has grown at a rapid pace since we've seen him last. And it obviously scares the hell out of MIB. I think that would make sense.

atom heart
04-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Smokey is Locke-ish because the universes are melding. That's my little theory.

Courtney
04-16-2010, 11:50 AM
I know you all are busy doing that one thing in Indio, but this LA Times article wherein Jorge Garcia gives an insider's tour of 'Lost' locations in Hawaii (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-jorge-garcia18-2010apr18,0,7693124.story) reminded me of Tessa.

tessalasset
04-18-2010, 12:50 AM
I saw one of you fuckers in a dharma shirt yesterday.

stinkbutt
04-20-2010, 01:18 AM
Just got caught up and have to say the whispers being souls in a purgatory like state is fucking stupid.

KatieLyn
04-20-2010, 05:40 AM

Saw that as well.
I screamed "THE DHARMA INITIATIVE!!" to which all my friends thought I was talking about a band.

tessalasset
04-20-2010, 01:27 PM
oh god i hope there's a band called dharma initiative already.

atom heart
04-20-2010, 06:25 PM

If I were all those red shirts, I would have high-tailed it out the moment Liz Lemon showed up calling AIR STRIKES.

J~$$$$
04-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Really? This season is killing me. Not that exciting. I dont have the omg moments of seasons past.

The worst line of the entire series...... "sounds like someone got their voice back....." cue the studio laugh track and love boat theme music.

i812many
04-21-2010, 04:20 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/01/AR2010030103497.html?hpid=news-col-blog

YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From TV Guide:
Though the show’s executive producers, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, insist they are opposed to any continuation of the series past May’s finale, that hasn’t stopped one Lostie from penning his own spin-off of sorts. Terry O’Quinn, who plays Locke/Smoke Monster, tells me he is shopping around a bible for a TNT-type show that would pair him back up with his real-life chum and on-screen foe, Michael Emerson (Ben) – as suburban hit men juggling family issues. Though Terry asked me not to spill show specifics, he has spoken with Lost creator J.J. Abrams about the project and says, “I really hope this works out because Michael would be in his prime in this. We’d play kind of awkward partners.”

“It’s very sweet of him,” says Michael. “I’m all in favor of it. Any reason to work with Terry again.”

captncrzy
04-21-2010, 05:48 AM
Last night was kind of meh. Still-questions answered:

1) Smokey was, in fact, the one that embodied Christian Shepard. If that's the case, then why did he guide Locke to turn the wheel to get off the island?

Spoilery theory (highlight to read):

2) This is all going to culminate at the hospital somehow. Everyone is migrating there. Claire will eventually show up to give birth. Kate will probably injure herself trying to escape and end up there too.

3) Juliet is David's mom. She's going to go pick him up from the hospital because he's been sitting there waiting for Jack.

i812many
04-21-2010, 12:13 PM
THINGS I NOTICED - The Last Recruit

Let's face facts: The Last Recruit was a transitional episode. With only a few weeks left to tell the final chapters of LOST's story, the episode was designed to place everyone exactly where they need to be. The writers did what they could to keep things interesting, writing in some of Sawyer's best season six jokes and even saving the Sun/Jin reunion to help out. In the end, it was a good episode - but that's pretty much all it was. Things I Noticed:

Who's Your Daddy?

We've been drooling for a long time to see this confrontation between Jack and Flocke; a meeting that's starting to feel a lot like the calm before a great big storm. Some of the answers we get here are exactly what we expect, but some of the dark man's words also seem contradictory when compared to things he's been telling our other LOST characters.

I loved the visuals in this scene. Flocke leads Jack to a clearing with two rocks so that they might sit down and finally discuss things, yet Jack refuses to sit. Instead, Jack gets up close and personal with the entity assuming John's form, almost as if studying him. As the MIB sits comfortably Jack squats before him, bringing himself down to the same level, staring his opponent face to face, eye to eye. Like Desmond, Jack is showing no fear or apprehension here. There's an intangible equality between these two characters, as if both respect each other's power and neither wants to give his opponent any advantage.

We get a big reveal here, going all the way back to the beginning of the show: the dark man was responsible for representing himself as Jack's father. For a split second I thought he might be bullshitting, based solely upon his hesitation when Jack asked him why. But then the dark man mentions leading Jack to water, which is exactly what happened in White Rabbit. Unless the MIB conjured up this memory from John Locke's consciousness - which is entirely possible, since John was there too - one of LOST's biggest long-standing mysteries gets solved, right here in this clearing.

The dark man points out John Locke's foolishness in thinking he was brought to the island for a reason, even going as far as to call him stupid and a sucker. Initially this seems to contradict what he'd said about admiring John Locke during LAX. Looking back however, all the smoke monster admired about John was that he recognized his on-island existence was much better than his previous life. While everyone else was desperately looking for a way to leave, John Locke was the only person with a clear enough vision to want to stay.

What happens next is the same thing that happened to all the other recruits: the MIB dangles a carrot. Based upon Jack's actions for the past five and a half seasons, that carrot is rescue. Flocke knows how vehemently Jack has resisted the island's call. He knows how often Jack has laughed in John Locke's face whenever destiny or purpose was mentioned. Flocke is banking on the same old Jack, the guy who called the freighter, the one who fought so hard to leave the island. He emphatically bashes John Locke's belief that "everyone is here for a reason", and he intentionally does this in front of Jack as a way of saying "There's nothing here for any of us."

But once again, the MIB might be lying his ass off. Although Jacob may be dead, the dark man realizes that his recruits are still dangerous. If a candidate happens to take up Jacob's gauntlet, the smoke monster will once again be stuck on the island for good. I'm thinking Flocke recognizes something within Jack during that first staredown in the clearing... something that tells him "he's the one". Above all other possible recruits, Flocke seems to fear Jack the most. Unable to kill him, sending Jack off the island becomes top priority. And yes, I believe he gave Sawyer access to the boat for that exact purpose.

If you think about it, the dark man has sent Jack off the island before. I've long theorized that Jacob was the one trying to kill Charlie in season three, to prevent him from flipping that jamming switch in the Looking Glass. The dark man's countermove was to give Desmond his visions, saving Charlie just long enough to get the job done. This brought the freighter to the island, ultimately allowing the Oceanic Six to leave. Jacob eventually brought them back, using mirrors to show each of them they were living a lie.

This is the chess game, move by move. Jacob (or perhaps the island) wants the characters to stay, to accomplish some end goal. The dark man wants them dead or gone, away from the island. Back and forth they've pushed their playing pieces across the game board, and even now they're still making moves. The dark man is about to send Jack off the island for what he hopes is the last time... but before getting to him, Jacob has already instilled a strong sense of purpose within Jack during Lighthouse. Enough purpose to stop him from leaving the island on his own accord, and staying by his own choice.

Another line I thought interesting this scene came from Flocke: "You were trapped on this island before you even got here". While it's representative of Jack being fated to come to this place since the moment Jacob touched him, it also gave me a sense of how far-reaching the "island" really is.

If I'm Not The Same, Then The Question Is... Who In The World Am I?

A very important thing happens in the ambulance as Locke mentions Helen. The way he spoke, the way he referred to her and asked Ben to call him 'John'... it seemed for a minute as if the old Locke was talking here. Instead of just asking for his fiance' as LAX_Locke would've done, it appeared as if the John Locke we all know and love - the one we last saw being choked to death by Ben - had somehow made the transition into LAX_Locke's broken body. He referred to Helen as a man near death and remembering the bigger regrets of his life; of losing someone he loved and desperately wanted to marry.

Are we getting Locke back??? I really hope so. I totally love this angle, and it would really bring John's story full circle. Dying abruptly the way he did, it always seemed like John Locke's story was never finished. We'd all been rooting for him to break out of being the gullible off-island loser we'd watched for so long, and we never got the chance to see that happen. Perhaps, if John's transition becomes permanent, we'll finally get the opportunity and closure needed for such a great, epic character.

Sun on the other hand, is experiencing a transition of her own. Island Sun's current memories include seeing John Locke as a monster, which is why she's screaming in fear as she's rushed into the hospital alongside him. In both cases the transition occurs during trauma, semi consciousness, or near-death. This, or a brutal headwound, seems to be yet another way for the characters to suddenly remember their previous island lives.

You're My Brotha From Another Mother!

I'm still confused by the sickness. There are times when Claire seems batshit crazy, and times when she's lucid enough to resemble the old Claire. Her scene with Jack was cool enough, but the brother/sister thing was a little underwhelming. I think it's a case of the writers giving this answer away so very long ago, and then waiting a bit too long to put these two characters together again. The impact of their on-screen connection as siblings has sorta, well, totally worn off for me by now.

Claire does point out that Jack is now "with Locke", something Jack seems to know nothing about. I'm pretty sure Jack hasn't accepted any offer from Flocke just yet, but if he'd stayed on the boat that might have qualified. By making his own decision and not taking what the dark man offered him (even indirectly) I think Jack remains on his own side. His choice to stay on the island this episode was a big one.

You Can Always Bring People Back From The Dark Side

Hugo's Star Wars reference here might not be all that far off. While we all watched Sayid's degeneration into a zombie-like bad guy, we've also seen recent signs of improvement. First he lets Zoe live (which didn't make the dark man very happy), and last episode he cared enough to start questioning Flocke's whereabouts and motives. This week, Sayid seems to struggle greatly with shooting Desmond in cold blood.

I think there are two possibilities at this point. In one, Sayid has been playing dumb the whole time, firmly implanting himself within Flocke's camp as a sleeper agent. While I really like this idea, it doesn't seem to make sense for me - especially after watching the way he killed Dogen. That Sayid was just way too dark to be pretending.

More likely I think, Sayid has been gradually 'getting better'. I don't think for a minute that he'll fully recover, but he's consciously regretting his decision to take the dark man's offer and is beginning to rethink things. Sayid is demonstrating remorse and independent thought, which will probably lead to a very kickass uprising. I'd love to see his character go out in a blaze of glory, kicking a huge dent in the MIB's overall master plan as he goes down.

And I don't think for a minute that he killed Desmond in that well.

An Apple a Day Keeps The Po-Po Away

I have to admit, this was almost a wasted scene. If it was designed to answer the not-so-burning question as to why Sawyer let Kate go in the airport elevator, then fine. It didn't really do it for me, because that wasn't even a mystery as far as I was concerned. Thankfully, Miles calls us away from this scene so we can move to more interesting on-island events.

The only thing noteworthy here: just about everyone in this scene wears black. Sawyer, Kate, the police, the detectives... even the hat Kate puts on as Sawyer runs off to catch Sayid is black. In stark contrast are the two bright red apples, perhaps once again a reference to a third, outside influence. Sawyer eats his apple, but Kate leaves hers alone. Not yet sure what that means.

Mortar Strike Beats Rock, Paper, And Scissor

Widmore's return to the island has been marked by some real high-tech shit. First the sonic fence, then the giant copper doughnuts... now it looks like he's got GPS-guided mortars. Unlike the Shadow-Statue people, it's good to see he came prepared. But unlike the filthy barefoot leader who shunned technology during his on-island rule, it certainly seems as if Charles Widmore has turned over a new leaf.

It occurred to me that if Flocke wants all the candidates dead he might encourage and welcome a mortar strike. We already know it won't hurt him, and it indirectly accomplishes his end goal. Smashing the walkie with his staff may have been an act of defiance, but it also may have been his way of intentionally provoking another hit. We see this happen later on, at the end of the episode.

Desmond's Comprehensive Guide To Stalking Blondes

Alright, I need to come clean about something. In watching the whole Desmond/Claire/Illana/Jack/David at the law office sequence, I was just looking for it to end. It's not that it was bad, because it wasn't. But as these precious long minutes ticked off my DVR clock... I found myself just wanting more than this.

On one hand I feel bad for feeling this way. I know the LAX storyline is important to the overall plot, and I trust the writers are eventually going somewhere cool with it. At the same time though, there's a big part of me that knows we're in the home stretch. That part wants as much time on the island as possible, because let's face it: the LAX stuff isn't half as exciting.

I noticed the big sign that said "Visitors must sign in". Both Claire and Desmond signed it, and later Jack but not David. Perhaps this is indicative of our heroes being nothing more than visitors to this timeline. I also loved the upward-angled shot of the long escalator, which reminded me instantly of Boone's warning vision to Locke in further instructions. It wasn't the same escalator, but it was close.

Desmond is borderline stalking Claire here, practically shoving her into Illana's office. Maybe his goal is to reunite her with Jack, hoping for some type of mutual recollection. It looked more to me however, as if his goal was to stop her from signing those adoption papers. He mentions that she shouldn't do something "irreversible", which directly conflicts with Jack's LAX assertion that nothing is irreversible.

Have You Seen Cindy? She's Starting To Give Taller Ghost Walt a Run For His Money

As Flocke once again instructs his group to break camp, he explains their new mission: get to Hydra island. By now there are so many red-shirts that he sends Sawyer off to pick up Desmond's boat, presumably so everyone can travel in style. "Take whoever you want", he tells Sawyer, knowing full well that he'll pick Kate. And that's when the MIB moves on to more pressing business: getting Sayid to kill Desmond.

If you ask me, Flocke doesn't care about his followers at all. The recruits are all he's ever been concerned about, and the rest of the red-shirts are there to keep up appearances. He'd just as soon take a couple of outriggers to Hydra island, leaving all non-essential personnel behind.

For this reason, we should consider the possibility that the MIB knew exactly what would happen here. Flocke sends Sawyer off knowing full well he intends to sail away from the island, and even more importantly, that he'll take Jack with him. He disappears with Sayid, intentionally moving out of sight in order to to give these two time to hatch their "plot". Later on it appears he's listening to Jack and Claire's conversation, and then conveniently picks this time to go off and look for Sayid, giving Jack plenty of time to gather his allies and bolt.

At the same time, Flocke really does want Desmond dead. He might not know exactly why Widmore brought Des to the island, but he can't take any chances in leaving him alive. The smoke monster also can't kill Desmond directly, lending more weight to the theory that Desmond might just be a candidate. We see Sayid's hesitation here, as the dark man asks if he still wants what he offered him. At this point, Sayid is not so sure.

At the well, Desmond wisely shows Sayid a reflection of himself through Nadia's eyes. "What will you tell her?" Des hits a home run here. Perhaps the only thing Sayid cares about at this point is what Nadia thinks of him, both on and off the island. In the LAX world he packs his things, telling Nadia: "I'm leaving, and I'm never going to be able to come back again." This line is not only similar to the way Ben described leaving the island, it's also an ominous sign that maybe we're coming up on the end of Sayid's storyline.

Welcome Back To The Cool Kids Table

I thought they wrapped up the crazy-Claire story rather nicely here, as Kate finally convinces Claire to stop being "one of them" and start being "one of us" again. This took some very slick wording and non-threatening movement, but it also took an extension of Kate's genuine feelings for both Claire and Aaron.

Turns out three seasons ago the dark man had offered Claire the one thing she needed most: commitment. During the course of her life she'd been abandoned by her family, by her boyfriend Thomas, and then seemingly by everyone she crashed onto the island with. Cue the dark man approaching as Christian Shephard, the father-figure Claire never had. Three years and a squirrel-baby later, her loyalty now lies with him.

Kate says everything necessary to recruit Claire back into the heroes' fold. She's truthful about her reasons for returning to the island, and honest about her intentions to reunite Claire with Aaron. Claire stops blindly hating Kate just long enough to realize that she did nothing wrong, and starts to trust her again. Even so, we can't blame Kate one bit for taking Claire's rifle.

Captain Sawyer... Driving Cool Water Sales Up 300%

As they sail away from the island for what might be the last time, Sawyer's conversation with Jack mirrors the one they had at the end of The Incident. Jack was a man of faith then, and he's a man of even stronger faith now. By contrast, Sawyer's pendulum has swung in the opposite direction: at one point he was content to stay on the island forever, but now he only wants off. What Sawyer doesn't realize is that the off-island world isn't all that it's cracked up to be... something Jack learned first-hand a few seasons back.

All that hardcore pondering with a faraway look in his eye has finally done Jack some good: he's starting to see the big picture. The further they get from land, the more uneasy Jack feels about leaving. Inwardly, he somehow knows there's something still left to do. He steals his agenda, mannerisms, and even full lines of dialogue directly from his old nemesis... John Locke, man of faith. Sawyer sees this, and is hella-pissed.

After apologizing once more for Juliet, Jack takes his own leap of faith. His jump parallels Sawyer's jump from the helicopter, complete with Kate calling out after him and Jack swimming to shore. Kate parallels Jack's own words from the season three finale, telling Sawyer "We have to go back." Sawyer disagrees, telling her "We're done going back."

All on his own, Jack's figured out something important: that the MIB is more afraid of them than they are of him. He's also conceded that whatever agenda the island has for everyone can no longer be ignored. Jack surrenders to fate, and gives himself fully and completely to the island. He's ready to face the dark man rather than go back to living another off-island lie. This is a critical continuation of Jack's one big lesson: letting go.

Here's Some Money For The Vending Machine. See Ya In a Bit.

David and Jack's relationship has certainly sweetened since Lighthouse. He's now a supportive, loving, caring son, and Jack is doing his best to make up time. We still don't know who his mother is, but I'm guessing they're saving that up to make the reveal even juicier. My money's on Juliet or Ana Lucia, because we've seen just about everyone else so far.

Jack peers into the operating room mirror and sees Locke's face, and as viewers we're flashed back to the spinal operation he did on Ben at the Hydra station. This is where Ben cryptically told Jack "See you on the other side", something that made little sense at the time. Now however, Jack is on the other side. Maybe this scenario is what triggers his own magic memory moment, but we'll have to wait for next week to be sure.

A Love So Deep... Not Even A Sonic Fence Can Come Between Them

The Sun/Jin reunion has been a long time in coming... maybe even a little too long. These are two very good characters, and it was satisfying to see them finally reunited with one another. It sucked to see them apart for so long, mainly because both Sun and Jin have been reduced to token roles since the freighter blew up. And damn, I can't believe that was a whole two and a half seasons ago.

Like everyone else, I cringed as they approached the sonic fence, thinking how cruel and yet legendary it would be to see them both get their eardrums fried. This didn't happen of course, and they had a happy reunion - in both the island world, and in their room at the hospital. LAX_Jin tells Sun that it's over, and that they're all finally safe - including the baby. Maybe this is even true for them, in that timeline. On-island however, things still aren't looking so hot.

The very sight of Jin brings back Sun's ability to speak English. Just in case somebody might've missed this, Lapidus is there to help out. "Looks like someone got their voice back". Pure awesome.

Good, Bad, Whatever

The end of this episode gave us a few little twists and turns. Widmore's crew turning their guns on Sawyer and company was more than a bit surprising. Score one point for those who still think Charles Widmore is a dick. He had yet another chance to win us over, and he just blew it.

Simultaneously, the sub-people begin launching mortars at the MIB's team. Maybe the screaming sound of an incoming projectile wasn't enough for some people, because despite being shelled only hours earlier, no one moves until Jack barks out a warning. Even when he does Flocke moves not a single inch, all but confirming that he's impervious.

This is where the dark man scoops Jack into a fireman's carry, Platoon-style, and reassures him that everything will be alright. "You're with me now", he tells him. Flocke sure is pushing for recruitment here, but as far as I'm concerned Jack still hasn't made a decision of his own.

In the end, The Last Recruit was another solid episode of LOST. On island it continued to split sides and shake up alliances, while off-island it continued to gather everyone together in one single place: the hospital.

It will be interesting to see where Jack and Locke go next. I think that at this point, their fates are completely intertwined. Eventually they're going to disagree on something, and I'm crossing my fingers that all hell will break loose

bballarl
04-22-2010, 12:29 PM
No idea about the validity of this. But check it out (POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT!):

http://deadspin.com/5522263/what-does-this-possibly-fake-call-sheet-tell-us-about-the-lost-series-finale

J~$$$$
04-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Thursday, May 13 at 7:30 PM

Royce Hall

Tickets: $77, $53, $28

On sale Friday, April 23 at 10 AM.

Please call 310-825-2101 for tickets.

Click here to purchase tickets online.

Oscar® winning composer Michael Giacchino will conduct a live orchestral performance, featuring the iconic music of “Lost,” at UCLA’s Royce Hall on Thursday, May 13, to celebrate the upcoming series finale. The concert will also feature appearances by LOST cast members, including Nestor Carbonell, Michael Emerson, and Jorge Garcia. In addition, a special preview of the penultimate episode will be screened immediately after the concert.

LOST: THE SERIES FINALE EVENT SUNDAY MAY 23 7|6c

NO CELL PHONES, CAMERAS OR RECORDING DEVICES ALLOWED IN THE THEATER.

http://www.uclalive.org/event.asp?Event_ID=740

furnace
04-22-2010, 12:50 PM
I saw a few Losties this past weekend. INCLUDING THE DHARMA CAMPERS!

tessalasset
04-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Justin I wanna go to that Soooo badly

Blinken
04-22-2010, 06:56 PM
I am so going to that.

By the way no Lost next week. :(

furnace
04-22-2010, 07:09 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2b48k3.jpg

digitaldragon03
04-23-2010, 12:13 AM
That may have been me. Tall, fat dude with a black Dharma logo on my back. So many people came up to me to discuss Lost. A couple even told me about the Dharma camping group that had a blue Dharma van. :O On sunday i saw a guy in a Dharma JUMPSUIT crowdsurfing. He was awesome.

tessalasset
04-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Nah it was some shorter Asian gut with a black shirt and white dharma logo on the front.

Fucking ucla sold out of tix in 1 min. Did anyone get any ?

tessalasset
04-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Nah it was some shorter Asian gut with a black shirt and white dharma logo on the front.

Fucking ucla sold out of tix in 1 min. Did anyone get any ?

J~$$$$
04-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Damn. 1 min. You think they would add a second show.

Blinken
04-23-2010, 12:29 PM
I got my ticket, I am up in the balcony. I was actually able to pull up two different tickets because my first one was obstructed view.

captncrzy
04-23-2010, 01:05 PM
I seriously hope someone gets a recorder in to record this.

tessalasset
04-23-2010, 06:16 PM
I tried for balcony too but I'm sitting in the middle of the desert on my phone so everything took longer. So bummed.

atom heart
04-24-2010, 05:30 AM
Does anyone have any pics of the Dharma Campers? That's awesome they had a bus.

GoEastYoungMan
04-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Fucking reruns.

blueskies
04-27-2010, 05:26 PM
I wore my WWJLD shirt on Saturday. A bunch of random people took pictures with me... I lerve that shirt.

1litro
04-27-2010, 08:24 PM
turned on the tv 3 min late to find a rerun what up with that

brittany
04-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Yea friends came over to watch lost tonight... and a rerun.. and of an ep i didn't really like... someone just told me no new episode next week either..?

J~$$$$
04-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Cmon! You call yourselves lost fans? You should have known this three weeks ago! Cmon!

Jk lol BBQ. I'm still pissed I had to spend quality time with friends and family instead of watching a new episode.

StubbADubb
04-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Awwww. My bf put on his Sonic Fence shirt for nothing.

(that said I do love the Richard Alpert episode).

GeezrRckr
04-27-2010, 09:07 PM
phew! i went to watch this on my DVR and didn't see it there. thought i was fukked!

1litro
04-27-2010, 09:22 PM
we get lost over the air, (no cable) and with no TV guide I didn't know and next week a rerun also

Blinken
04-28-2010, 01:39 AM
Next week is a new episode.

i812many
04-30-2010, 09:03 AM
Prepare to be frustrated:

“Lost” co-creator Damon Lindelof tells THR the crew built new sets for the final moments of the ABC hit drama and that fans should expect to ask themselves, “What did they mean by this?” after the show ends…

As for the nagging question of whether fans be satisfied by the ending, Lindelof said the finale will not employ a “Sopranos”-style fake-out, but he emphasized that viewers will definitely be left with questions.

” ‘The Sopranos’ ending only worked on ‘The Sopranos,’ ” Lindelof said. “The series finale has to fit the show. We’re trying to end lost in a way that feels ‘Lost’-ian and fair and will generate a tremendous amount of theorizing. We’re going to be as definitive as we can be and say this is our ending, but there’s no way to end the show where the fans aren’t going to say, ‘What did they mean by this?’ Which is why we’re not going to explain it.”

thestripe
04-30-2010, 09:49 AM
uh oh...

tessalasset
04-30-2010, 10:13 AM
hahaha

J~$$$$
04-30-2010, 10:23 AM
What do they mean by this?

Sexecutioner
04-30-2010, 10:42 AM
sounds like they're basically preparing us for disappointment...

captncrzy
04-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Or questions they don't have time to answer.

Sexecutioner
04-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Or questions they don't have time to answer.

well that disappoints me...so same thing really. ending this show with lots of unanswered questions is basically a big "fuck you" if you ask me.

J~$$$$
04-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Not really. It will make for huge sales in blu-ray which I will partake in and discourse for months to come. Its not really the end. Plus Vozzek seems to get it so he will sum it up nicely for me, because I seem to miss a ton which he catches.

thestripe
04-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah, Vozz is the shit. I'm still hoping for the best, though. I've invested far too much time into this show for it to end poorly.

atom heart
04-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Considering that the answers they could give could also be kind of lame ("a thing for numbers", "this is hell!") I'm perfectly fine with the end being another big WTF moment. The end would be ruined by them slapping answers on stuff as they rushed towards the final scene. Could they have used the first part of the season better? Most certainly. But I'm going to end up hating the show if they go into midichlorian-esque enumeration of what the fuck Jacob is and where/when they have been this whole time in lieu of anything else.

On the other hand, this is coming from someone who thinks that if everything exploded suddenly I wouldn't feel cheated. You gotta be zen-like: It's just a TV show.

tessalasset
04-30-2010, 05:15 PM
There's a great article about LOST in Wired right now with Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg or whatever on the front.

thestripe
05-04-2010, 08:01 AM
TONIGHT

OnlyNonStranger
05-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Finally caught up after leaving for Coachella three weeks ago. Everybody Loves Hugo was a pretty good episode. Always nice to see Libby again.

J~$$$$
05-04-2010, 09:01 AM
There's a great article about LOST in Wired right now with Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg or whatever on the front.

I was totally let down by that article. I did enjoy the connections map though.

Im so excited for tonight.

donkey sex
05-04-2010, 09:04 AM
yeah, was kinda bummed last week. Thinkin "Did I have the DVR turned off or screw up the series management settings?", but it was just a repeat. Let's goooo.

OnlyNonStranger
05-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I freaked out a little bit as well.

Blinken
05-04-2010, 09:51 AM
I got my ticket for LOST Live: The Final Celebration in the mail yesterday. It is an Oceanic Airlines Boarding pass. Fucking awesome, I can't wait.

tessalasset
05-04-2010, 11:54 AM
I AM SO FUCKING JEALOUS OF YOU.

I can't believe I didn't even KNOW about the Paley Fest thing this year, and I can't believe I missed out on tickets to Lost Live. I'm a horrible Lost fan.

Justin, why didn't you like it? I thought each little section was very interesting, for the most part. The contents of the airplane got boring after a while.

donkey sex
05-04-2010, 12:05 PM
I got my ticket for LOST Live: The Final Celebration in the mail yesterday. It is an Oceanic Airlines Boarding pass. Fucking awesome, I can't wait.

Is that in Hawaii? Sounds interesting.

I have some spoiler info without too many details, so I think it's okay for you to read this if you want. My sister was at a restaurant in Honolulu (she lives there) and saw 'Richard' entering an elavator to go downstairs. She immediately bolted for the same elevator to join him and then starts gabbing his ear off. "Im the shows biggest fan...etc." (I ribbed her about that). Richard asked her "Have you been watching from the beginning?" to which she responded "Yes! Im the biggest fan...etc". Then she asked "What's the ending going to be like?" to which he responded "Im not supposed to talk about it, but it's going to be 'Explosive'". Will the island explode? Dunno.

She also said her hair dresser, who doesnt watch the show, cuts Sayid's hair. Now, my sister is bi-polar, so I'm not sure if I believe anything out of her mouth on this, but just thought I'd share. She says Richard's eyes in person look the same as they do on tv...all dark like he wears eye liner. And I saw Hugo at the Kauai airport a few years ago and he looks the same as on tv.

captncrzy
05-04-2010, 12:11 PM
If you're into spoilers, Dark UFO will tell you what "explosive" means.

donkey sex
05-04-2010, 12:18 PM
I'm gonna wait

chairmenmeow47
05-04-2010, 02:54 PM
phoenix people are welcome to watch the last episode at my house. i've already created a facebook event lol. lemme know if you're interested in watching with us, there will probably be leis (leighs? lays? leys? lase?) and dharma beer labels again like we made for the season 4 finale.

captncrzy
05-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Do you have a high def tv that is bigger than 40 inches?

If so, count us in.

chairmenmeow47
05-04-2010, 03:17 PM
high def, 42". it's also really good for fast motion stuff, or so my dad is constantly telling me ever since he saw that my TV was better than his lol. i'll send you both the invite when i get home :)

captncrzy
05-04-2010, 04:37 PM
FUCK YEAH! We'll be there. I'll stop at Total Wine on the way over.

stinkbutt
05-04-2010, 05:53 PM
WOW!

J~$$$$
05-04-2010, 06:52 PM
No. Fucking. Way.

I love this show.

J~$$$$
05-04-2010, 07:03 PM
No really.

Like woah. Tears. An island of regrets. A fucking TV show that grabs me emotionally.

Whose ready to break it down? Next week is going to be huge.

OnlyNonStranger
05-04-2010, 07:46 PM
What the fuck LOST? I come into this with a huge high after Detroit lost and then this?! WHAT THE FUCK?

fikus222
05-04-2010, 09:03 PM
:( Sad Panda :(

DRcube
05-04-2010, 09:04 PM
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh

captncrzy
05-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Next week is going to answer a LOT of stuff.

I wonder what "I'm going to finish what I started" meant.

OnlyNonStranger
05-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Kill people, I'm sure.

stinkbutt
05-04-2010, 09:22 PM
So this very good friend of mine had this epic episode ruined for him by my ex via facebook by spoilers. Long story short, we wanna get her back, is ther any possible way I can see Lost before her (i.e. maybe eastern goes on sooner) so I can send her texts as the shit is going down. I am gonna add I don't mind spoilers but I respect those that do; especially with this show.

I know this is cruel but she just ruined possibly the greatest episode ever.

SDsoldier7
05-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Flocke is a bastard. That cunt deserves to burn in hell.

I might have to go into a cave until 2020 after the last second of the last episode airs. Im not sure why I let myself become attached to this show. 6 years....Just like my last failed relationship. FML.

If Kate would have died tonight....im just glad she didnt because im not sure what I would have done with myself.

Boourns
05-04-2010, 09:43 PM
:( :( :nono

Blinken
05-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Wow great episode I can't believe we have so few episodes left.

So this very good friend of mine had this epic episode ruined for him by my ex via facebook by spoilers. Long story short, we wanna get her back, is ther any possible way I can see Lost before her (i.e. maybe eastern goes on sooner) so I can send her texts as the shit is going down. I am gonna add I don't mind spoilers but I respect those that do; especially with this show.

I know this is cruel but she just ruined possibly the greatest episode ever.

There are streams of the episodes as they air on the east coast, I would check Justin TV or DarkUFO(they used to put links up in their chat room). I also will be seeing the second to last episode early next week, so if you want info on that one I can get it to you next Thursday.

stinkbutt
05-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Blinken please, please please. I will pm you man

donkey sex
05-04-2010, 10:04 PM
thought Flocke was gonna kill Claire at the end there. But I guess he can use her as a hostage, get her to do his dirty work, and/or manipulate her in some way as she poses really no threat to him. He's still unknowingly in a pretty fucked situation though, cus he cant kill the candidates outright himself.

One of the best episodes ever! Sad about Sun, Yin, Sayid, but that's life on the island. Three candidates left...

SDsoldier7
05-04-2010, 10:15 PM
RIP Sayid, Jin, and Sun.

http://www.benzilla.com/uploads/2008/03/gygax.jpg

tessalasset
05-05-2010, 12:23 AM
So Jack was right? The bomb really wouldn't have killed them? Sawyer trying to diffuse it was actually the thing that triggered it into a working bomb?

God damn I cried so much. Even driving home, I started thinking about it again and was crying so hard I had to pull over cause I couldn't see where I was going. I fucking LOVE this show so much.

Also, does that mean it's a rerun next week?

stinkbutt
05-05-2010, 12:31 AM
This is the one thread I wish we could have Randy back for, I don't care how arrogant he was/is

Boourns
05-05-2010, 12:48 AM
So what do we watch next year?

tessalasset
05-05-2010, 12:49 AM
Seriously.

OnlyNonStranger
05-05-2010, 01:10 AM
So what do we watch next year?

Fucking nothing.

stinkbutt
05-05-2010, 01:30 AM
NHL Playoffs

tessalasset
05-05-2010, 02:01 AM
I'm actually pretty relieved to not have a program I HAVE to watch live now. I went for six years without caring about television and freaking LOST has had me dialed in for the past five. I can go back to watching tv shows on netflix now.

MassonaBlackEyes
05-05-2010, 02:04 AM
is anyone else going to the Aloha Jimmy Kimmel Lost Special? Just signed up for tickets

i812many
05-05-2010, 04:28 AM
What no love for Lapidus? I was saying to myself as he was walking down the stairs of the sub, I wonder when they are going to kill this guy? I never really liked Jack but his transformation from a man of science to faith has been pretty cool to see.

GoEastYoungMan
05-05-2010, 05:00 AM
Spoilers I guess -

^ I've got much love for Lapidus. Great secondary character. Granted, his involvement this season had him relegated to a background character but his one liners were some of my favorite dialogue from the series and provided gallows humor when it was most needed. With only the schooner remaining, this seems to have effectively fucked any chance of leaving now, as the airplane pilot went down with sub. Am I forgetting any other means?

Also consider the treatment of the Kwon's to be very mean spirited. I have no problem with killing off characters. This show is damn near predicated on it. But you have these characters separated and searching for a way to be back together for the span of TWO SEASONS and then when they are finally reunited they are killed in the following episode. Talk about fucking pessimistic. I'll reserve final judgment until the curtain drops on the 23rd but for now the writing this season has seemed increasingly lazy. Not tryin to hate. Best show ever. Just sayin.

thestripe
05-05-2010, 05:33 AM
Fuck the haters. Jack's the man.

captncrzy
05-05-2010, 05:52 AM
I'm pretty sure next week is a new <spoiler-highlight to read> Jacob and MIB episode-the one that gives their backstory. <end spoiler>

invisiblerobots
05-05-2010, 06:34 AM
Also, does that mean it's a rerun next week?

Huh? No, next week is episode 15 - Across the Sea.

invisiblerobots
05-05-2010, 07:01 AM
So where was Widmore while all this was going down? And Ben, Richard and Miles?
Did they kill off Frank too? Anybody else know how to fly that Ajira plane?

J~$$$$
05-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Lapidus deserved a way cooler death.

I imagine everyone is gong to end up at the well?

J~$$$$
05-05-2010, 07:43 AM
So where was Widmore while all this was going down? And Ben, Richard and Miles?
Did they kill off Frank too? Anybody else know how to fly that Ajira plane?

Widmore went to the other island and turned on the sonic fence after blowing up the plane. maybe? Thats what I would have done.

How does Locke get back to the main island?

J~$$$$
05-05-2010, 07:43 AM
Spoilers I guess -

^ I've got much love for Lapidus. Great secondary character. Granted, his involvement this season had him relegated to a background character but his one liners were some of my favorite dialogue from the series and provided gallows humor when it was most needed. With only the schooner remaining, this seems to have effectively fucked any chance of leaving now, as the airplane pilot went down with sub. Am I forgetting any other means?

Also consider the treatment of the Kwon's to be very mean spirited. I have no problem with killing off characters. This show is damn near predicated on it. But you have these characters separated and searching for a way to be back together for the span of TWO SEASONS and then when they are finally reunited they are killed in the following episode. Talk about fucking pessimistic. I'll reserve final judgment until the curtain drops on the 23rd but for now the writing this season has seemed increasingly lazy. Not tryin to hate. Best show ever. Just sayin.

Sailboat.

invisiblerobots
05-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Lapidus deserved a way cooler death.

I imagine everyone is gong to end up at the well?

At least they could have given him a cool one-liner to go out with. Poor Lapidus.
I think it's a pretty sure thing that the rest of them are going back to find Desmond in the well but then what? Also, in Alt-time it's looking even more likely that everyone is going to wind up at the hospital.

thestripe
05-05-2010, 07:56 AM
I was worried for a moment that the bomb was going to set off another timeline.

invisiblerobots
05-05-2010, 07:59 AM
I was worried for a moment that the bomb was going to set off another timeline.

LOL Hurley spinoff show

J~$$$$
05-05-2010, 08:02 AM
At least they could have given him a cool one-liner to go out with. Poor Lapidus.
I think it's a pretty sure thing that the rest of them are going back to find Desmond in the well but then what? Also, in Alt-time it's looking even more likely that everyone is going to wind up at the hospital.

I hope the hospital blows up.

GoEastYoungMan
05-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Sailboat.

There is no Easter Bunny.

chairmenmeow47
05-05-2010, 09:29 AM
i cried. sayid was already dead to me. poor lapidus, doesn't get a dramatic death. but sun and jin? that was fucked. what's more fucked is leaving ji-yeon without any fucking parents. island of regrets indeed. jin should have left. but they were pretty far under water and without oxygen and a submarine, his chances of getting home were probably remote anyways. that was so sad. reminded me of the abyss, which also makes me cry.

oh, and bernard was creepy in the alt timeline. very creepy. and i wonder if anthony cooper left his body to hit up the magic box on the island when locke took flight in the alt timeline. maybe that's why he's mentally gone.

kate better not have some long, dragged out death the next episode. i thought that was pretty ridiculous and she almost looked like she hadn't even been shot when she was out of the water. at least she was the only one with sense to reach for th keys when they were in the cage. she may be annoying, but she's sneaky like that.

i can't believe it's almost over :(

GoEastYoungMan
05-05-2010, 09:40 AM
LOST finale will run 2 and a half hours instead of the originally announced 2.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/abc-extends-lost-finale-by-30-minutes/?src=busln

atom heart
05-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Jeez, everyone NEARLY exploded. As I was watching everyone pile into that tin can I kept thinking, oh man, they are really going to do it, eveything's going to explode like I thought, and kill everyone, leaving us with the Richard, Ben, Miles and Desmond Show. Which frankly, I wouldn't mind. Aw poor Frank.

Boourns
05-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Dammit why did they have to kill Sun

thestripe
05-05-2010, 10:43 AM
FLocke looked soooo pissed when he came out of the water.

J~$$$$
05-05-2010, 10:46 AM
I bet it was because his iphone was ruined.

OnlyNonStranger
05-05-2010, 10:48 AM
I don't know about that. AT&T probably has shitty service on that island.

faxman75
05-05-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm not sure at what point in this season I started to not care but last night clinched it. I feel like the only person who didn't cry about Jin and Sun. I laughed when the people started shooting at the smoke monster too, it looked like a bad sci fi movie. I feel like they beat so many situations into the ground this season that it ultimately made me not give a fuck. The whole decision process is the most mind numbing thing to me. I mean, how many times are these people going to chose sides, guess who is good and who is bad, want to leave the island or come back. I'm really disapointed I can't share in the enjoyment of most of this. I'll be watching but this season has easily been the least enjoyable to me. Kate should have been killed off at least a half dozen episodes ago.

J~$$$$
05-05-2010, 11:01 AM
http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/imgx/1/0/0/2/7/5/1/1/orig-10027511.jpg

J~$$$$
05-05-2010, 11:06 AM
I do agree with you a little bit. It feels rushed, the suspense is gone.

chairmenmeow47
05-05-2010, 11:30 AM
people shooting at the smoke confuses me too. oh well, people can only choose sides for three more episodes and then it's over. frankly i have no expectations for the ending; there's absolutely no way to wrap all this up in a neat little package and i'm sure whatever ending we get will leave me wanting more. and i love every minute of it.

<3 lost <3

p.s. widmore should have shot kate and everyone should have died in the sub explosion though, that would have made for a boss episode. after getting a few texts about lost before it aired, i was expecting more than just jin, sun, lapidus and the already dead sayid to die.

stinkbutt
05-05-2010, 11:37 AM
As cool as that would have been I loved when the last interaction between Claire and Smokey, when he was storming off to "finish what he started".

I think there will be a ghey redemption point for Claire soon where she does something vital to help kill Smokey.

malcolmjamalawesome
05-05-2010, 11:38 AM
You know, the only thing more overrated than Lost is Fever Ray's 2010 Coachella performance.

chairmenmeow47
05-05-2010, 11:40 AM
i will honestly say that the only thing i will be disappointed about is if they end the show without violently killing cindy. that bitch deserted everyone on the beach, joins whatever island cult will have her and withholds information like a stupid other. bitch better bloodily go down, soon.

malcolmjamalawesome
05-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Who the hell is Cindy?

chairmenmeow47
05-05-2010, 12:09 PM
she's the flight attendant cunt who abandons the people of flight oceanic 815 to tie ribbons in her hair and mysteriously withhold information with the others.

malcolmjamalawesome
05-05-2010, 12:11 PM
OH YEAH. I forgot about her. She didn't get killed when TMIB came to the temple and killed everyone?

I want evil Tina Fey scientist to get killed.

chairmenmeow47
05-05-2010, 12:16 PM
totally agreed. who the hell is she fucking to get that role?!?!

OnlyNonStranger
05-05-2010, 12:16 PM
She went with smokie whenever he offered sanctuary to those that would go with him. I'm assuming she's dead from the mortar attack considering Sayid told Jack that they and Smokie were the only three left.

tessalasset
05-05-2010, 12:54 PM
jin should have left. but they were pretty far under water and without oxygen and a submarine, his chances of getting home were probably remote anyways. that was so sad. reminded me of the abyss, which also makes me cry.

yeah that's the thing. either he dies holding his wife's hand, or he dies alone halfway to the surface of the ocean. he knew they were too far down to make it. god, teamed with michael giacchino's score, that scene was waterworks central.

and thanks for the heads up on the kimmel show. i wish i had known about that sooner. i fucking hope i get tickets. it'll soften the blow of the royce hall event.

invisiblerobots
05-05-2010, 01:39 PM
The Voz:

THINGS I NOTICED - The Candidate

In case it hadn't occurred to you yet, The Candidate was a slap-in-the-face reminder of one sure thing: the end is drawing near. It had thrills, chills, chaos and death, but it also had a pace that worked really well for how quickly it advanced the storyline. Also, for the first time in a while, there was a solid balance between on and off island... maybe because the alternate timeline scenes were totally excellent this week. Things I Noticed:

I'll See You That Mortar Strike, and Raise You a Hit-and-Run Accident
Maybe it's because the timelines seem to be merging, or pehaps it's because we now have six seasons of the show for comparison. Either way, the parallels and mirror image scenes on LOST have been increasing geometrically. Jack saving Locke's life off-island is reflected by Locke saving Jack's back at the beach, and that's without even going into the constant repetition of dialogue this episode.

Locke's guilt over his accident is holding him back, keeping him from believing he deserves a second chance. Later on Jack would hand him some sincere and poignant reasons for wiping the Tabula Rasa, but for right now Locke is content to keep things the way they are. That's when we see that maybe Jack hasn't changed at all. Although he's fixed the David situation, he still can't stop trying to save everyone. Locke's problem? He still hasn't learned to put himself first.

As we see later on, both of these characters need to let go. By still clinging to their old ideologies, they're still unable to 'see' the truth. For Desmond, it took a stark visual reminder in the form of Charlie underwater. But for Jack and Locke... throughout duplicated scenarios and repeat dialogue, these characters still don't get it. They're still blinded by the inability to break out of their old bad habits. They simple can't see the forest for the trees... despite Bernard handing Jack a chainsaw and practically pull-starting it for him this episode.

This Just In: Kate Austen is Officially Superfluous
Six years later, it's disappointing to see that Sawyer still hasn't learned. Every single time you hand the rifle back to someone after disarming (and humiliating) them, they're going to nail you right in the balls with it. In complying with "put the gun down", just for once I'd like to see Sawyer chuck it into the jungle, making the poor asshole have to go pick it up and saving his balls in the process. Nice disarm on doughboy though.

In all honesty, when Widmore first got to the island I thought he was going to be a refreshing change when it came to getting some direct answers. The way he spoke so frankly to Jin after capturing him seemed pretty legit, and I was hoping for some oldschool enlightenment. Turns out I was wrong. Charles Widmore is the same cryptic, dickish ringleader as everyone else, locking our heroes in a cage at gunpoint without even a hint of explanation other than the old standby: "It's for your own good."

His only real contribution so far? Bringing Desmond to the island. That, and letting us know that Kate never had any true purpose on the island at all. Either this makes her character totally redundant, or she's still somehow flying under everyone's radar. The jury's still out on that one, but I really want to know why Jacob touched her nose.

Bernard's Face: Full of Smug, Knowing Answers or Just Bonelessly Creepy?
The answer is BOTH. Not only are Bernard's facial expressions creepy in a horrified Gumby sort of way, but the man is also totally in on things. The dialogue he shares with Jack lends assloads of credence to my original theory that both Rose and Bernard know what's going on... both on the island during The Incident and off the island in the flash-sideways timeline.

"You mind if I ask you why you're so interested in Mr. Locke... Jack?" Listen to Bernard casually add Jack's name to the end of that sentence, as if they're old island buddies. Also watch the knowing smile that crosses Bernard's face immediately afterward, as Jack searches for the answer to his question. "Oceanic 815. Pretty weird huh? Maybe you're onto something, here."

It's more than obvious that Bernard knows. Just as he couldn't stop Juliet from marching off to her death by giving her direct answers, he can't tell Jack exactly what he needs to know. "I can't break patient confidentiality and tell you something I shouldn't. This is a punch-to-the-gut metaphor for "I can't pull back the curtain Jack, you need to do that yourself." Bernard does skirt the line however, sending Jack in the right direction by writing him a quick prescription for the truth.

In many ways, the whole situation is reminiscent of Locke's words to Charlie, all the way back during The Moth. Bernard could take his knife, gently widen the opening, and allow Jack to go free. If he did this however, Jack might be too weak to survive. The struggle - in this case, the struggle for personal growth - is the very thing that strengthens the person in question. It prepares him for the world outside the cocoon... or in this case, outside the realm of the island.

There's also one recurring thread woven throughout the alternate timeline, and it gets mentioned again here by Bernard: 3 years. Everything important that happened in our character's lives seemed to have occurred three years ago. Since the flash-sideways timeline presumably takes place in 2004, that puts Locke's accident somewhere in 2001, and this means little to us. Yet if we believe this person to be our Bernard - the lovable dentist who remembers spending three years on the island with Rose, Vincent, and a shitload of canned goods - then to him it's actually 2007 right now.

This may solve the single biggest problem most people have with assuming the real and sideways universe can't be running concurrently: the fact that they're separated by three years. Yet when you start viewing things from the perspective of someone like Rose or Bernard, it actually synchs up the two timelines nicely. These people have already lived those years, and even characters who've died (Charlie, Libby, Keamy, etc..) may have also experienced that same amount of time go by. Perhaps it somehow is 2007, and the rest of our characters have yet to realize it.

That whole theory's pretty kooky, and it admittedly still needs lots of work. I'm open to anything that supports it or tears it down, but either way, the repeated reference to 3 years is definitely something we should explore further.

Welcome... To HYDRA ISLAND!
That seemed kinda off, didn't it? I guess with all the canoe-trips and flip-flopping between storylines (and timelines), the writers felt the need to explain exactly where we are these days. And while we're on the subject of flip-flopping, let's talk briefly about the difference between night and day.

Continuity errors aside, there has to be something up with the passing of time on the island. Over the past several weeks we've watched night turn to day in a just matter of hours, and vice versa. This week's episode was no different, and these huge gaps in time are getting to the point where they're actually pretty distracting.

As Sawyer tells Kate, it feels like we're running in circles. Timewise, those circles now seem to be getting smaller and smaller. If this is intentional, perhaps the island is shifting or moving through time, as we saw way back in season four with Daniel's rocket. Also remember how night turned to day when Frank flew the chopper to the freighter, and how the same thing happened when Frank flew Ajira 316 back to the island. Day and night mean very little when it comes to the time storm surrounding the island, and if that storm is moving (or the circle of the island's influence slowly closing) it could explain many of these changes.

Back on the beach, the dark man flat out lies to Jack's face - and Jack almost seems to know it. Unfortunately he doesn't fully piece everything together until later on, when he sees the bomb. "I could kill you Jack, right here, right now", the dark man tells him. "And I could kill every single one of your friends, and there's not a thing that you can do to stop me."

Examine Terry O'Quinn's mannerisms and you'll see a lot of suppressed frustration here. As viewers, we already know his words aren't true. The MIB can't touch the candidates directly, as the boy in the jungle has so laughingly reminded him. Flocke has had to play follow the leader for most of this season, and at this point his patience is wearing very thin. Just as he thought the game was over, he's had to come up with yet another loophole - this time one to kill off the candidates - and now on top of this, Jack suddenly doesn't want to leave the island. We already know the man in black is way past the point of wanting to still play games, and yet countermoves are somehow still being executed against him.

One more thing about this scene: the top half of Locke's scar is gone. Maybe it's nothing, or maybe it's something... but it was very, very noticeable. Going out on a limb, maybe it somehow represents the merging of timelines - the transition of scar-free LAX_Locke back to the island. Or maybe (if you're still on board with the whole Jacob/MIB being two halves of a whole idea), Jacob's essence is slowly healing that scar. Kind of far fetched, but it did stick out in my mind.

Two Dozen Sonic Fence Posts? Check. Pair of Giant Donut Magnets? Check. GPS-guided Mortar? Check. Backup Generator? Uh oh...
And so, in the end, Charles Widmore's master plan is foiled by a complete lack of foresight. In the blink of an eye, his once sharp-looking crew of monster-hunting veterans are reduced to a bunch of panic-stricken freshmen, shooting rifles into the jungle that may just as well have been water pistols.

So I'm watching this scene thinking: "Wait... are Widmore's people really shooting at the smoke monster? Really???" Yup. And again, this kinda sucks. While the monster scenes are always cool to watch, I was expecting a hell of a lot more out of Widmore. Unlike Bram or Illana, Charles spent a lot of time on the island. You'd think he should know better. At the very least though, smokie's infiltration of Widmore's encampment paves the way for a rather predictible and joyous upcoming event: the death of Zoe (let's hope).

It All Comes Back Around... Especially If You're Anthony Cooper
Jack's tireless efforts to fix things, tempered by Bernard's gentle elbow to the ribcage, puts him at the nursing home of Anthony Cooper. Helen tries talking Jack out of continuing his investigation with: "You saved John. Why can't that be enough?" And Jack, speaking for all of us, answers back quite simply: "Because it's not."

Damn straight, Jack. At this point, nothing is enough. With only a few hours of LOST left, I expect each week to be a whole avalanche of answers. And if you're going to introduce yet another strange mystery (i.e. how Locke and his dad got hurt), you'd better answer that mystery within the same damned episode, just like you did right here.

Anyway, as Helen wheeled a catatonic Anthony Cooper into view I was reminded sharply of two things. One was Captain Pike of the original Star Trek. The second? The guy sitting in the old chair back at Jacob's cabin, the one who eerily called out "Help me..."

There are a lot of ways to explain Cooper's vegetative state, but none of them are definitive. It's entirely possible his condition is purely physiological; the result of Locke's bad pilotage. Still, I can't help but think of George Minkowski, or Daniel's girlfriend Theresa. The Anthony Cooper we see here has a strangely haunted look to him, as if a large part of him were missing. With so little time left we might never really know, but in the back of my own mind I keep hearing that guy in the cabin calling for help. And if anyone on LOST deserves to be time-stuck in some kind of jaunt-like limbo hell, we can all agree that it's Coop.

Somebody Set Us Up The Bomb. Still Not Sure Who It Was
The Ajira plane has always been a bone of contention with me. It's never sat well that LOST could end with our main characters just flying off into the sunset, and if Frank were at the helm the whole thing would be even more campy. At times I could even picture him pulling back on the control wheel just as he ran out of runway, open shirt flapping wildly, landing gear skimming the tree-tops as Frank wiped sweat from his brow and made wisecracks about things being "too close for comfort". Ugh.

So yeah, I for one was happy to see the plane wired to explode. But who exactly did it? Widmore's people would be the most logical answer of course, but it seems pretty silly for Charles to think he could just blow up the smoke monster. And since I never once believed the man in black would escape the island by airplane, I can only assume Widmore would be thinking along those lines too.

So did Flocke wire the plane to go off? Makes sense, if you think about it. He wants all the candidates dead in one fell swoop, and by wiring the explosives to the electrical system he's allowing them to kill themselves by powering the airplane up. Maybe once Jack announced he wasn't leaving the island, Flocke decided on a whole different plan - the submarine. He does take the dead guy's wristwatch before 'discovering' the explosives, and on the fly, quickly improvises a bomb.

Could've also been the Ben/Richard/Miles triple-threat, but I'd imagine they would've set the bomb off right away rather than rig it to go off later on. Who the hell knows. One thing's for sure though: when Locke talks about Widmore "gathering everyone in one spot" and the trying to kill them? He's actually talking about his own plan. Coming out of the airplane and immediately showing off those bricks of C-4 was a great way to gain the trust and credibility Flocke would later use to manipulate everyone onto the sub.

In the Alt-Universe, That Vending Machine Works Just Fine
In the LAX timeline we're shown a tremendous array of parallels and mirror images, including a shot of Jack and Claire even looking into a mirror together. Jack's Apollo bar falls this time, no push needed. Catch a Rising Star plays on a Claire's new music box. The two of them have a "Wow we took the exact same flight from Sydney!" moment, which in my opinion is getting pretty stale by now. Jack even offers Claire a family-friendly invitation to stay with him, in an effort to make up for lost time.

The most interesting things we get however, are the semi-conscious rantings of John Locke. His island experiences are crossing over to the LAX timeline, including memories of pushing the button. Locke even utters the phrase "I wish you had believed me", directly from his suicide note.

Things are moving faster and faster in the alt. Almost every single scene contains a parallel to some prior event or line of dialogue. Just as things on the island are accelerating, the same is happening in the off-island world. I think that's what they're trying to show us with all of this recycled imagery.

Sayid Can Snap the Most Necks, but Jack's Got the Meanest Rifle-Face, Hands Down
"John Locke told me I needed to stay." It was an awesome line, made ten times more awesome by Jack following it up by shoving the MIB into the water. I was pretty sure all hell was going to break loose after that, and of course it did. But after the many references to his aversion to water, I also expected the dark man to be a lot more affected than he seemed to be. Instead, he just got wet.

Apparently Jack's not a man who believes in cover. As we saw from his A-Team days in Dharma, Jack's reaction to being shot at is pretty standard: march toward your enemy with a sneer and an outstretched arm, firing the whole time. It's almost as if Jack knows he's invincible, or doesn't really care. All that matters to him at this point is getting his friends off the island.

The ensuing shootout took place exactly the way Flocke wanted it, all the way down to the very last detail: Sawyer locking him out of the submarine. It stands to reason that the MIB knew of Sawyer's distrust the whole time, even after he'd thanked him outside of that airplane. Understand that the dark man's been playing these types of games for centuries, unwillingly or not. Over hundreds of years and with an advesary like Jacob? He's gotten very, very good at manipulation.

His last move is a good one: planting a bomb that can only be triggered by the person who is holding it. This is where the MIB finally puts Sawyer in checkmate... as much as Sawyer mistrusts the smoke monster, his distrust of Jack is equally great. After what happened to Juliet, Sawyer's not one for letting things just 'play out'. This is why he can't watch the bomb's timer count harmlessly down to zero, and this is why he triggers the real bomb by yanking out the fake battery leads.

It's Jack who figures things out, and he actually does it in time to save everyone. Logically, the whole thing is pretty simple: if the MIB wanted them all dead, he would've killed them if he could. Why go through the trouble of a hastily rigged bomb when he could just smoke anyone at any time? "What if he hasn't killed us because he's not allowed to?" Jack asks his captive audience. "What if he's trying to get us to kill each other?"

Bingo, yet Sawyer just can't see it. Jack's words of "nothing's going to happen" are echoed in season two, where he tells Locke the same thing about pushing the button. These words are repeated again that season by Locke when he loses faith in the button and tells Eko the same exact thing. In both those cases the button gets pushed anyway, just as Sawyer pushes another type of button right here, right now. And upon doing so, Sawyer inadvertently sends a few more people to the other side.

Pushing the proverbial button is and always has been LOST's ultimate test of faith. It defines what's real and what's not real. It separates the idea of unalterable fate from the power to actually write your own destiny. When you boil everything else down far enough, it's the essence of the entire show.

Because It's Going To Be You, Jack
I took Sayid's last words as pretty inarguable evidence that Jack is indeed the candidate. I'm sure someone will argue it of course, but definitely not with me.

It always sucks to see our main characters die, knowing we'll never see them in action again. Even on LOST, where the dead can show up at any time, losing someone we've known and loved for so long can really sting... even on a TV show. Sayid was certainly one of LOST's best characters. And although we probably lost him a half dozen or so episodes ago, it was good to see him go out doing something both redeeming and important. Martyring himself here, just as he and Essam had planned to do way back in season one, was certainly something Sayid did for The Greater Good.

It's also comforting to recognize that Sayid made it as far as he did. Knowing LOST will end in three weeks takes a lot of the sting out of losing even the oldest and most kickass of characters. Every time you get the urge to dust off your LOST disc set, it'll be nice to remember that no matter what happens you've got nearly six full seasons of Sayid. And in each one of them, he's snapping a bunch of necks.

Frank! You Could've Been a Contender...
Just as Lapidus almost kicked open the cage door this episode, his character almost mattered. Don't get me wrong, because I love Frank. He had lots of potential. The problem is, he was never really allowed to live up to it. As the story progressed and new people kept coming, they allowed Frank Lapidus to fall by the wayside. His once cool character degenerated into a syrupy mess of comedic one-liners, and along with it, any importance he might've once had.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I got the feeling the writers never really had a solid ending for Frank. At some point they just started using him to take the edge off the more serious happenings on the show. What sucks most is that Frank isn't even acknowledged at the end of this episode, when everyone washes up on the beach. Even Nikki and Paulo got a eulogy, but all Frank got was a "Where's Sun and Jin?"

RIP Frank. If you are on the other side, I hope you're drinking from a hollowed-out pineapple and wearing a Hawaiian shirt unbuttoned down to your navel.

Sun and Jin...
Of all the main character deaths we've seen, I have to say I'm most satisfied with what happened to Sun and Jin. The actors did a fantastic job, and the scene was exceptionally well done. Most important of all, the whole thing just felt right to me. Much like the ring Sun puts back on Jin's finger earlier in the episode, their story had truly come full circle.

On-island, Sun and Jin's time was up. They existed only for each other, and once reunited they had completed their journey. Through marital troubles, infidelity, infertility and just about the worst father-in-law imaginable, the two of them eventually recognized that the most important thing was just being together. They stopped taking their love for granted, as Jacob mentioned at their wedding.

I also got the distinct feeling that because their transformation was complete, Sun and Jin were being taken "out" of the island's playing field. In short, Sun wasn't pinned to that wall by accident. There was simply nothing left for either of them to learn.

The final scene of Sun and Jin holding hands could've been a great way to end their story, but we were purposefully shown an image of their hands letting go. To me, this was representative of them not letting go of each other, but of the island timeline itself. It's comforting to know that Sun and Jin still exist on the other side, and that they're happy, content, and ready to start their new life with a baby on the way.

Maybe Everyone Should Just Stay Away From Planes For a While
As if the whole sub debacle wasn't enough, the last scene between LAX Jack and Locke just totally kicked ass. Jack is recognizing the need for both of them to let go of certain things: for Locke it's his guilt, and for Jack it's his constant need for control. The words they exchange are incredibly sincere, and Locke's story involving that plane crash was so well acted I almost believed it actually happened. It was another great scene, much like the one they shared at LAX.

"You go first." Right now, I'd like to predict that these are Jack's words to Locke in one of the final scenes of LOST. If Jack becomes the new Jacob and Locke becomes the new monster, the game begins all over again. Two players, two sides, and of course one of them has to make the first move.

Jack's parting words of "I wish you'd believed me" seemed to trigger even more memories for John, and it gave him a significant amount of pause. Locke also recognized and did a double-take upon seeing Jin in the hallway. I'm hoping these small flashes of recollection evolve into full-blown memories of island events, because in doing so it would bring our real characters full circle.

On island, Jack marching purposefully into the ocean and crying up at the sky seemed to say one thing: "Okay, I accept my position. But please, no more sacrifice."

Next week looks Ab Aeterno awesome.

tessalasset
05-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Fantastic. I don't know what I'd do without Vozzek. Probably just keep watching Lost.

Astrid
05-05-2010, 03:30 PM
i thought MIB specifically stated he could not travel through water to sayid in a previous episode? perhaps he was lying, hes good at that. but it would only make sense bc if he could just leave the island by boat then he certainly wouldnt still be there.

i am asking in reference to him making it to hydra island btw, not getting pushed into the water by jack.

J~$$$$
05-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Justin, why didn't you like it? I thought each little section was very interesting, for the most part. The contents of the airplane got boring after a while.

Sorry I missed this. I feel like I was duped. It said something along the lines of lost breakdown or explained or some bullshit. At first I was super pissed because I bought it said to myself I already know all this info, then realized it was written for the casual lost fan.

I hope Vozz writes a complete book about the entire series. I know he has up to season 6, but would like to read one that has season 6 included.

J~$$$$
05-05-2010, 03:34 PM
i thought MIB specifically stated he could not travel through water to sayid in a previous episode? perhaps he was lying, hes good at that. but it would only make sense bc if he could just leave the island by boat then he certainly wouldnt still be there.

i am asking in reference to him making it to hydra island btw, not getting pushed into the water by jack.

I think it was to get everyone to a central point. Plane, boat ect.

Im sure there is a point he cant cross, such as when the electrical storm occurs when when crossing by plane or boat.

tessalasset
05-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Sorry I missed this. I feel like I was duped. It said something along the lines of lost breakdown or explained or some bullshit. At first I was super pissed because I bought it said to myself I already know all this info, then realized it was written for the casual lost fan.

Oh, yeah I just stole my copy from my gym.

Sexecutioner
05-05-2010, 04:43 PM
so is my dvr starting too late, or did they stop doing the whole "previously on lost" thing?

kitt kat
05-05-2010, 05:23 PM
what's more fucked is leaving ji-yeon without any fucking parents. island of regrets indeed. jin should have left.

This is exactly what I said. He could have gone back and raised the child he was so fucking desperate to see. I think it was such a cheap shot. Jin could have pulled everything to the end of the show; I understand Sun's death as a necessary plot point, but the writers seem soooo lazy for ignoring the narrative impact of Jin.

Fucking Lost writers.

ivankay
05-05-2010, 06:06 PM
i think the orphaned children of the show are setting up LOST:2025. Aaron and Ji-Yeon will be brilliant college students who hire Walt the mysterious boat captain to find out what happened to their missing parents. They might even get caught in their own time loops and meet their parents, but can not reveal their true identities. They know they can not do this because they are brilliant and Hurley told them so.

tessalasset
05-05-2010, 06:23 PM
This is exactly what I said. He could have gone back and raised the child he was so fucking desperate to see. I think it was such a cheap shot. Jin could have pulled everything to the end of the show; I understand Sun's death as a necessary plot point, but the writers seem soooo lazy for ignoring the narrative impact of Jin.

Fucking Lost writers.

like i said already, he would have died swimming up to the surface. he had no oxygen tank. there was not enough oxygen for jack, sawyer and jin to all share going up. not that the oxygen tank is the reason they made him stay back, but even if he had listened to her and tried to swim, he wouldn't have made it. better to die holding your wife's hands than alone in the middle of the ocean.

OnlyNonStranger
05-05-2010, 06:30 PM
They should have let Sawyer die and saved Sun. In my opinion.

captncrzy
05-05-2010, 06:31 PM
i think the orphaned children of the show are setting up LOST:2025. Aaron and Ji-Yeon will be brilliant college students who hire Walt the mysterious boat captain to find out what happened to their missing parents. They might even get caught in their own time loops and meet their parents, but can not reveal their true identities. They know they can not do this because they are brilliant and Hurley told them so.

I hope they don't fuck it up.

like i said already, he would have died swimming up to the surface. he had no oxygen tank. there was not enough oxygen for jack, sawyer and jin to all share going up. not that the oxygen tank is the reason they made him stay back, but even if he had listened to her and tried to swim, he wouldn't have made it. better to die holding your wife's hands than alone in the middle of the ocean.

Ding ding ding.

Besides, the island was done with them. Had it not been, Jin would have survived regardless.

tessalasset
05-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Like he survived a fucking freighter explosion.

captncrzy
05-06-2010, 08:01 AM
yesssshhhh

chairmenmeow47
05-06-2010, 08:48 AM
i also think sun is fucking stupid for going back. if i was jin, i would have fucked her then bitch slapped her the second she came back to the island. "I LIVED IN THE SEVENTIES SO YOU COULD RAISE OUR CHILD AND YOU LEFT HER WITH YOUR EVIL PARENTS?!?!" randy said now ji-yeon is going to grow up to seduce a new mercenary for sun's dad lol.

Sexecutioner
05-06-2010, 05:35 PM
so is my dvr starting too late, or did they stop doing the whole "previously on lost" thing?

soooo uh, does everybody have me on ignore, or just choosing to not answer me? thanks either way...

J~$$$$
05-06-2010, 05:44 PM
This message is hidden because 4Ransom is on your ignore list.

J~$$$$
05-06-2010, 05:45 PM
omg j/k lol they do the whole thing your DVR is fucking racist.

Cancersticks1
05-06-2010, 06:32 PM
soooo uh, does everybody have me on ignore, or just choosing to not answer me? thanks either way...

No, you're fine, they cut it since some of the episodes have been running long.

donkey sex
05-06-2010, 06:42 PM
I dont ignore anyone...just soak it all in. Well, not all, but you get the drift.

Do miss Ben Linus. Where the hell is that guy and his sly, semi-gay knowing smiles? Hope he gets some airtime.

http://image.com.com/tv//images/genie_images/story/2010_usa/L/lost_michaelemerson_story.jpg

Sexecutioner
05-06-2010, 07:11 PM
agreed, ben is like cowbell. you can never have enough.

No, you're fine, they cut it since some of the episodes have been running long.

thanks!

citizenerased
05-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Jin and Sayid were 2 of my favorite characters :[

The 2 and a half hour finale is going to be epic

donkey sex
05-06-2010, 07:43 PM
He hasnt been the confident, conniving man-of-power 'Ben' we all know and love in quite a while. Don't really like how he's kinda become a secondary character. Ben always wanted the island more than anyone. He did all the fucking dirty work for christs sake. Let's see some bad ass Linus to finish em off, por favor!

donkey sex
05-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Use to have a fantasy where Ben Linus, at the height of his Others leadership, had this secret room he'd bring guys to daily. The room is up in a hollowed out tree deep within the jungle. Ben and his companion would spend time listening to 'Hunky Dory', mostly 'Bewlay Bros', read books, and drink tea with them occassionally making love. Well, not 'occassionally', but every time.

http://nygossipgirl.com/blog5/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/mlost.jpg
8a82arE0JSQ