PDA

View Full Version : BLUR @ COACHELLA 09-RUMOR HAS IT..

vogina
11-09-2008, 02:32 AM
Word on the street they are getting back together..

I think they'll be outdoor staging it.

paulb
11-09-2008, 02:44 AM
sure.....................been reading the boards over the past few days?

Doubtful, but id be all for it.

vogina
11-09-2008, 02:57 AM
sure.....................been reading the boards over the past few days?

Doubtful, but id be all for it.

No, I haven't been reading the boards.

A buddy of mine from So. Cal FM station K.R.O.Q brought it up to me. He hears a lot of things-"word on the street"

Good Night

mvanwinkle
11-09-2008, 04:09 AM
lol does word on the street just refer to what shows up on here. cause that's what it seems like where most rumors come from. and gorillaz>blur

starrdogg
11-09-2008, 07:31 AM
Word on the street they are getting back together..

I think they'll be outdoor staging it.

If Blur got back together and played Coachella there is no way they'd play the Outdoor Stage. A Blur reunion would be borderline headliner-worthy, more likely they'd get the Portishead spot on the main stage on Saturday night before the headliner, but I think they could headline Friday night if it came down to it. I've never really been able to fully embrace Gorillaz, but Blur has always been one of my favorite bands. I would love to see this happen.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-09-2008, 07:50 AM
I stopped listening to Blur after the 2003 performance....I didn't know Damon was sick until later...

starrdogg
11-09-2008, 08:00 AM
This talks about the Blur reunion more in depth: http://www.nme.com/news/blur/40885

Sounds like it's going to happen eventually, but with Albarn working on the new Gorillaz album right now it seems pretty doubtful for Coachella 2009. Maybe 2010?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-09-2008, 08:10 AM
I think a Blur reunion is a no go next year consider it seems like Gorillaz have a lock..

LooseAtTheZoo
11-09-2008, 08:54 AM
If Blur does reunite they won't be ready in time for Coachella. Let the Gorillaz take their spot

Blinken
11-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Gorillaz FTW

rage patton
11-09-2008, 10:01 AM
gorillaz>blur

Truth.

miscorrections
11-09-2008, 10:06 AM
It's hard to say one is better than the other because they're so different. I love them both and would be extremely pleased with either.

MeowMixer
11-09-2008, 10:14 AM
I love blur. Very meaningful music for me.

woogie846
11-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Gorillaz are coming out with a new album, Blur wouldn't be ready in time.

karma_guy
11-09-2008, 10:25 AM
maby i'm crazy buuuut
is there a chance we could have BOTH gorillaz and blur?
maby like on different days, like gorillaz on friday and blur on saturday?
also i can't see blur headlining, maby a sub headliner?

moomoo
11-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Gorillaazzzzz plzzzzzzz

futureperfect
11-09-2008, 11:47 AM
I would love to have Blur reunite. Id like to have Gorillaz too but the problem with Gorillaz is would the delivery of the stage show be accessible and enjoyable. I enjoy both Gorillaz cds and the remix ones but I would not want to suffer a stage show that would not capture the uniqueness and electricity of one of the worlds most popular imaginary bands.

moomoo
11-09-2008, 12:30 PM
I would love to have Blur reunite. Id like to have Gorillaz too but the problem with Gorillaz is would the delivery of the stage show be accessible and enjoyable. I enjoy both Gorillaz cds and the remix ones but I would not want to suffer a stage show that would not capture the uniqueness and electricity of one of the worlds most popular imaginary bands.
:eek:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wp7MUpSNPq0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wp7MUpSNPq0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

LooseAtTheZoo
11-09-2008, 12:41 PM
:eek:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wp7MUpSNPq0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wp7MUpSNPq0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yep...I think that fulfills the enjoyable and accessible aspects of the stage show

LooseAtTheZoo
11-09-2008, 12:41 PM
And happy 400 posts to me! I didn't even realize it

rage patton
11-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Thet Gorillaz video was awesome. I need to watch that DVD... And Gorillaz NEED to be at Coachella 09!

It's hard to say one is better than the other because they're so different.

This is very true.

mvanwinkle
11-09-2008, 01:12 PM
ya gorillaz live kill. you doubters need to do your research

rage patton
11-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Have you seen them Mark?

mvanwinkle
11-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Have you seen them Mark?

pffft. i fucking wish. but i have seen there live dvd and lot of youtubes. they are awesome. and will definitely deliver when they play this year.

paulb
11-09-2008, 01:45 PM
you mean next year

Sushov23
11-09-2008, 01:52 PM
it would be cool having the gorillaz play, but not headlining. people thinking they could headline are insane.

LooseAtTheZoo
11-09-2008, 02:14 PM
When was the last time that Gorillaz toured?

moomoo
11-09-2008, 03:03 PM
it would be cool having the gorillaz play, but not headlining. people thinking they could headline are insane.

That's why the sub-headline before OutKast comes on! :D

pocket
11-09-2008, 04:29 PM
lol does word on the street just refer to what shows up on here. cause that's what it seems like where most rumors come from. and gorillaz>blur

negatory.... blurs album 13, parklife, the great escape>all the gorillaz work.... i dont know how anyone can think the gorillaz few albums can beat the 7 studio albums of blur. and yes i have seen both.

moomoo
11-09-2008, 04:34 PM
negatory.... blurs album 13, parklife, the great escape>all the gorillaz work.... i dont know how anyone can think the gorillaz few albums can beat the 7 studio albums of blur. and yes i have seen both.

Quality over quantity, that's how. Don't get me wrong, I love Blur, in fact I love all of Albarn's works. But Blur will never be as big as Gorillaz is now. Gorillaz appeals to a much more widespread audience than Blur because of it's uniqueness and new sound.

It's like Death Cab and the Postal Service. Death Cab has had tons of albums but they still quite haven't hit that that status that Postal Service did even though they have the same singer.

Does anyone get what I'm trying to say?

LooseAtTheZoo
11-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Quality over quantity, that's how. Don't get me wrong, I love Blur, in fact I love all of Albarn's works. But Blur will never be as big as Gorillaz is now. Gorillaz appeals to a much more widespread audience than Blur because of it's uniqueness and new sound.

It's like Death Cab and the Postal Service. Death Cab has had tons of albums but they still quite haven't hit that that status that Postal Service did even though they have the same singer.

Not really. It seems like you're basing your argument for the Gorillaz off of the fact that they are more popular and reach a wider audience.

moomoo
11-09-2008, 04:52 PM
What I meant is that their music is more unique, that's why you see it reach out towards a more widespread audience.

I think when you take Albarn's talents and add rap, strings, electro, choirs, and etc to get the Gorillaz it sounds much more unique. I guess I don't really know what I want to say. I just see the Gorillaz as a much more interesting and unique form of Blur basically.

pocket
11-09-2008, 05:03 PM

first off the last two death cab albums outsold the postal service album, nice try though.

and i am pretty sure they never did any big tours (well i went to the one tour they did do and they sold out the avalon) and that was it. death cab is and will always be alot bigger than postal service.

blur also had an ever changing sound and unique-ness to their works. have you even listened to the blur albums? just listen to 13, parklife and the great escape and tell me each isnt unique. hell even listen to think tank. each album takes its own direction.

gorillaz is alright and has sold more albums than the works of blur, but i think most of that is the marketing and music videos for their works. plus nothing they are doing is very experimental as blur was trying to do with 13.

pocket
11-09-2008, 05:05 PM
What I meant is that their music is more unique, that's why you see it reach out towards a more widespread audience.

I think when you take Albarn's talents and add rap, strings, electro, choirs, and etc to get the Gorillaz it sounds much more unique. I guess I don't really know what I want to say. I just see the Gorillaz as a much more interesting and unique form of Blur basically.

again what is more unique about them than the blur works, cause for every "unique" gorillaz song i can give you 4 more unique blur songs....

pocket
11-09-2008, 05:18 PM
pffft. i fucking wish. but i have seen there live dvd and lot of youtubes. they are awesome. and will definitely deliver when they play this year.

so your saying a band is awesome live that you have never seen? interesting.

their first tour was terrible as i have said on other threads. i was there for the show in la where they were just behind a screen. it was awful. look for the reviews of the show, there was a great one in the la times that summed up how disjointed the audiance and the band were and the almost silence and grumbles when the show ended as people left.....

Amneeziac
11-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Blur is everything The Verve gets undeserved credit for.

shakermaker113
11-09-2008, 06:49 PM
this discussion is good for the environment. it's 100% recycled.

Alchemy
11-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Blur is crazy better than Gorillaz in my opinion, and I love Gorillaz. I mean, Gorillaz isn't really more "unique" than Albarn's other stuff. Have you heard Monkey? That's pretty damn unique, and I think that Blur is very unique too. Gorillaz has two really strong albums, but those two albums are as good as Parklife and The Great Escape, aaaand you have to remember that there is also Blur, 13, Leisure, and Modern Life is Rubbish. I think that Think Tank is good too, but since it doesn't have Graham Coxon much, I don't consider it a part of Blur. Anyway, the point is that every album that Blur has ever made is, at least, as good as Gorillaz two albums. That's just the magic of Albarn, my friends.

But then again, don't take my word for it. I'm obviously biased.

vinylmartyr
11-09-2008, 07:29 PM

their first tour was terrible as i have said on other threads. i was there for the show in la where they were just behind a screen. it was awful. look for the reviews of the show, there was a great one in the la times that summed up how disjointed the audiance and the band were and the almost silence and grumbles when the show ended as people left.....

The Gorillaz show I saw in Hollywood was awesome. I have seen Blur twice but I like Gorillaz live better.

rage patton
11-09-2008, 07:29 PM
You have a great sig Alchemy.

LooseAtTheZoo
11-09-2008, 07:46 PM

ZING!

mvanwinkle
11-09-2008, 08:14 PM
you mean next year

no i mean this year. the gorillaz will be at coachella this year.

Sushov23
11-09-2008, 08:35 PM

hahahahaha, :lool

moomoo
11-09-2008, 09:22 PM

hahahaha

well either way, I love them both. I guess that was just my long drawn out way of saying I perfer gorillaz over the two.

Coachella Bound
11-10-2008, 07:47 AM

I was wondering about this.....

But ive also seen video where the stage presence is amazing. Id preferably not like to watch a bunch of big screens.

Ive seen niether, but listened to both. Its kind of a toss up, i guess id take Gorillaz. seems like there half way through the new album. Just makes more sense.

amyzzz
11-10-2008, 12:48 PM
hahaha, I wouldn't have read Alchemy's sig if Rage hadn;t pointed it out. I could care less what shows people are going to.

psychic friend
11-10-2008, 12:52 PM
I too was at the Gorillaz show at the Palladium. It was ok. I wish the crazy venue mgr would let the lights down so it would have been easier to see the screens. I rather they didnt use the screens. We know they are not really cartoons.

MeowMixer
11-10-2008, 12:56 PM
I wish I could have seen the Gorillaz. But I would rather see Blur.

mvanwinkle
11-10-2008, 01:02 PM

how many people have not seen daft punk but have seen footage of them live. If you were to ask these people if daft punk have a good live show they would say yea i have seen videos and its fucking awesome. thats what I was saying dick. its the same with gorillaz the footage i have seen is something i definitely want to be a part of.

MeowMixer
11-10-2008, 01:05 PM
There was actually a live dvd. That's almost better than being there.

amyzzz
11-10-2008, 01:56 PM
I would like to see either Blur or Gorillaz live. It's all good.

MeowMixer
11-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Me samesies.

futureperfect
11-10-2008, 04:14 PM
A Blur Vs Oasis re-match of the 90s on the Main Stage Saturday

frozen pilgrim
11-10-2008, 04:45 PM
blur>oasisx9000

also, I'm not saying which is better in any way, but I'd rather see gorillaz over bur this year, simply because I think GV and the gorillaz crew in cahoots could pull off something mind boggling.

futureperfect
11-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Lol Blur totally blows Oasis away there is the Innovator in Damon Albarn and the stuck in time wannabee Lennon in Liam Gallager. So yes. I dont care which one plays Coachella Blur or Gorillaz it will be a good time. Ive only seen Blur so I wont judge even after I see Gorillaz. Both stand on their own laurels of being a creative entitiy.

pocket
11-10-2008, 05:31 PM
how many people have not seen daft punk but have seen footage of them live. If you were to ask these people if daft punk have a good live show they would say yea i have seen videos and its fucking awesome. thats what I was saying dick. its the same with gorillaz the footage i have seen is something i definitely want to be a part of.

Still, IMO seeing live footage and seeing a band live are two different things. Sorry to be a dick about it, but until you have seen a band live you shouldnt say how great they are. A lot of people have told me how great Radiohead are live, and I have seen some great performances of certain songs by them (even though I am not a fan) but after seeing them live 8 different times I have only been impressed once....

Coachella Bound
11-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Still, IMO seeing live footage and seeing a band live are two different things. Sorry to be a dick about it, but until you have seen a band live you shouldnt say how great they are. A lot of people have told me how great Radiohead are live, and I have seen some great performances of certain songs by them (even though I am not a fan) but after seeing them live 8 different times I have only been impressed once....

Wow! youve seen radiohead 8 times? Your not even a fan and youve only found them to be enjoyable once, but youve seen them 8 times....?

mvanwinkle
11-10-2008, 05:44 PM

most people on here have not seen the gorillaz. or the live dvd for that matter and doubt their abilities to play live. I was saying the dvd shows how good they are live and will be great at coachella

humanoid
11-10-2008, 05:51 PM
I stopped listening to Blur after the 2003 performance....I didn't know Damon was sick until later...

really?? a weak performance will lead you to "stop listening" to a band? That seems a little drastic, everyone has bad nights...

I could see deciding not to see a band again...I've done that with several bands

humanoid
11-10-2008, 05:54 PM
I too was at the Gorillaz show at the Palladium. It was ok. I wish the crazy venue mgr would let the lights down so it would have been easier to see the screens. I rather they didnt use the screens. We know they are not really cartoons.

I was there too, and while it was fun and a little unique, I was by no means blown away by any of it

It was difficult to see the screens at times

personally, I would so much rather see Blur(with Graham) than Gorillaz

JSam67
11-10-2008, 07:12 PM
I rather they didnt use the screens. We know they are not really cartoons.

You and Salah, both.

also, I'm not saying which is better in any way, but I'd rather see gorillaz over bur this year, simply because I think GV and the gorillaz crew in cahoots could pull off something mind boggling.

I like Blur, wouldn't mind them. But I too am sold on the idea of Gorillaz this year in the hopes that a Friday headlining spot at Coachella would inspire an incredible show.

pocket
11-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Wow! youve seen radiohead 8 times? Your not even a fan and youve only found them to be enjoyable once, but youve seen them 8 times....?

ex gfs favorite band was radiohead, i got dragged to alot of shows. also had season tickets growing up to the shoreline so got to go see them anytime they were there, also saw them at 3 different festivals.... i tend to go to a lot of shows. and they had some good bands open for them in the past that i wanted to see (beta band, sigur ros).

LooseAtTheZoo
11-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Blur will not be at Coachella 09. I will take bets on this for any doubters.

shakermaker113
11-10-2008, 09:04 PM
did you know that this conversation is also 100% self sustaining? remarkable.

Todfilm
11-11-2008, 10:20 AM
I can see it now. Friday night Jason Mraz is boring people on the main stage while everyone is at the Sahara for a Gorillaz headlining set.

I remember watching Blur back when they played at Coachella and overhearing some stereotypical valley girl talking to her friend on her cell phone: "Oh, just watching some band called Blah or something."

humanoid
11-11-2008, 10:52 AM
I can see it now. Friday night Jason Mraz is boring people on the main stage while everyone is at the Sahara for a Gorillaz headlining set.

I remember watching Blur back when they played at Coachella and overhearing some stereotypical valley girl talking to her friend on her cell phone: "Oh, just watching some band called Blah or something."

Blah was great in 03' !

LooseAtTheZoo
11-11-2008, 02:17 PM

Despite how everyone is saying that Gorillaz is too small to headline, they are also too large to play the Sahara. I can see them taking the Kraftwerk spot.

humanoid
11-11-2008, 03:16 PM
You're right, not big enough to headline, but definitely too big for the Sahara

oftheheartofthesoul
11-11-2008, 06:36 PM
You're right, not big enough to headline, but definitely too big for the Sahara

I would support this

bludevil007
11-11-2008, 06:46 PM
i dont get it, Daft Punk and "madonna" can play in the Sahara, but Gorillaz are too big for it? Sense lets make not?

rage patton
11-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Anyone who thinks Gorillaz aren't big enough to headline are nuts.

Coachella Bound
11-11-2008, 07:14 PM

Agreed, but I can only see it being friday night.

JSam67
11-11-2008, 08:18 PM

Agreed, but I can only see it being friday night.

100% agree. Otherwise I think they're an incredibly strong subheadliner on Saturday for The Cure or somebody.

And I just don't see Gorillaz doing the Sahara, it's not a question of how big they are. I think they're definitely a main stage act.

shakermaker113
11-11-2008, 08:25 PM
I think they'd be a main stage act because they have much more mainstream audience than...

...oh wait, madonna, fuck.

orbit
11-11-2008, 08:29 PM
what if it's gorillaz soundsystem instead?

pocket
11-11-2008, 11:04 PM

i must be nuts then... i can see a subheadline spot but not a headline spot...

shakermaker113
11-12-2008, 07:24 AM
what if it's gorillaz soundsystem instead?

I think we'll all be sorely disappointed.

not that I've seen them, it's just... it looks like some mediocre dj act, but I feel as if everyone would get excited that it involves the word 'gorillaz'.

thestripe
11-12-2008, 07:26 AM

They could headline Friday for sure. But only Friday.

vogina
12-01-2008, 03:02 PM
No.

I think a Blur reunion is a no go next year consider it seems like Gorillaz have a lock..
And Jack Johnson took the main stage last year; just saying considering he was one never to be thought of to be up their :eek:

Gorillaz are coming out with a new album, Blur wouldn't be ready in time.
A lot of wear and tear on the vocals, but possible if committed, and that's how someone becomes amazingly awesome in any field, but considering the music industry. I would think that Blur could be together and ready in time, but to how perfect they would like to stomp the set is up to them.

BLUR 09 would be cool..along with The PRESETS, OUTKAST, DELTRON3030-DELTRON3030*, :blah