PDA

View Full Version : Possible Headliners for 2009?

starrdogg
11-05-2008, 05:43 PM
So I was just thinking about what bands could even conceivably headline the festival next year. I've eliminated all bands who have headlined the last three years (Roger Waters, Prince, Jack Johnson, Bjork, RHCP, Rage, Tool and Depeche Mode) since I doubt they'd get a repeat headliner that soon. Here's what I've come up with thus far. These are only bands/acts that fit with the festival's vibe and would be a big enough draw to warrant headliner status. Feel free to add onto the list. Acts with ? next to them are borderline as to whether or not they are big enough to headline.

Radiohead
The Cure
Coldplay
NIN
Oasis
Beastie Boys
R.E.M.
The White Stripes
David Bowie
The Who
Pearl Jam
The Police
U2
Kanye West
Jay Z
Foo Fighters
Smashing Pumpkins
Bob Dylan (?)
Elvis Costello (?)
The Flaming Lips (?)
Beck (?)
The Killers (?)
Muse (?)
Daft Punk (?)

Reunions:
The Smiths
Talking Heads
No Doubt
Jane's Addiction

paulb
11-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Radiohead
The Cure
Coldplay
NIN
Oasis
Beastie Boys
R.E.M.
The White Stripes
David Bowie
The Who
Pearl Jam
The Police
U2
Kanye West
Jay Z
Foo Fighters
Smashing Pumpkins
Bob Dylan (?)
Elvis Costello (?)
The Flaming Lips (?)
Beck (?)
The Killers (?)
Muse (?)
Daft Punk (?)

Reunions:
The Smiths
Talking Heads
No Doubt
Jane's Addiction

I think you have the winners right there.

woogie846
11-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Friday - Daft Punk
Saturday - Radiohead
Sunday - David Bowie

I'm calling it.

oftheheartofthesoul
11-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Eliminate anyone who headlined a major North American festival in the past two years from your list because Coachella does not take sloppy seconds. I'm also taking out the ones with question marks since I vote no on their headliner status. Add Outkast. That leaves you with...

The Cure
Oasis
Beastie Boys
The White Stripes
David Bowie
The Who
U2
No Doubt
Talking Heads
Outkast

Based on the excitement of a reunion/long absense from spotlight alone, I would go with No Doubt, U2 and Outkast. Done.

paulb
11-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Oasis will 100% not be there.

paganman7
11-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Friday - Daft Punk
Saturday - Radiohead
Sunday - David Bowie

I'm calling it.

That would stop my heart!

blackchango
11-05-2008, 06:15 PM
="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HGcuv9CqAsU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HGcuv9CqAsU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Boourns
11-06-2008, 02:43 AM
I'll add my commentary to your list...

Radiohead - let's hope. South American tour is supposedly ending shortly before Coachella.
The Cure - possible, wouldn't be surprised
Coldplay - ditto
NIN - they are touring next year, yes?
Oasis - been debunked elsewhere on the board
Beastie Boys - are they touring next year? probably, I don't know, I'm just asking
R.E.M. - 2008 would have been the year for this
The White Stripes - it all depends on if they are ready in time, or not. and what if they are on the lineup but drop out?
David Bowie - pipe dream, not holding my breath since he always says no, but would be so epic
The Who - it could happen, I guess
Pearl Jam - ditto
The Police - reunion tour is done, no more shows
U2 - livenation whores
Kanye West - the year for this would've been 2008, I imagine
Jay Z - livenation whore
Foo Fighters - 2008 band, going on break for a while
Smashing Pumpkins - not enough people care anymore
Bob Dylan (?) - I've got nothing
Elvis Costello (?) - not big enough to headline
The Flaming Lips (?) - would kick ass headlining Friday, but their album won't be ready until June at the earliest, but then again, that didn't stop Coldplay.
Beck (?) - subheadliner
The Killers (?) - terrible, but so was Jack Johnson, so maybe
Muse (?) - perfectly feasible for them to make the headliner jump this year. if not Coachella, then another festival. well, I guess they already did at Lollapalooza. but I think their tour will start with Euro festivals, so 2010.
Daft Punk (?) - would be epic. probably too soon for them to come up with a new album and new live setup, but here's hoping.
Outkast - still no indication that they aren't done doing their own stuff and willing to play live again, but a Coachella paycheck could motivate, in theory
Arcade Fire - 2010
Paul McCartney - possibly too expensive, still unconfirmed that he will be touring next year
Morrissey - new album and live DVD next spring, would not be surprised if he headlined or at least subheadlined like in 1999

Reunions:
The Smiths - not happening, already stated
Talking Heads - seeing as how David Byrne will still be doing the solo stuff over the next few months, not much time to make amends and rehearse
No Doubt - confirmed to be touring in 2009, so likely
Jane's Addiction - well, Perry appears every year, and if they are touring next year, it could happen. but is their star power still big enough for a festival of this size?

JSam67
11-06-2008, 02:48 AM
I keep expecting The Cure not to be there, since they played only a few years ago, but why not? We've seen some repeat headliners in recent years, and the new album is excellent. I'd really love The Cure at Coachella this year.

I think the likeliest of these bands, not necessarily headliners, would be:
Radiohead, The Cure, Coldplay, Beck, The Killers, No Doubt, Muse, NIN

emtgreg
11-06-2008, 04:02 AM
Eliminate anyone who headlined a major North American festival in the past two years from your list because Coachella does not take sloppy seconds. I'm also taking out the ones with question marks since I vote no on their headliner status. Add Outkast. That leaves you with...

The Cure
Oasis
Beastie Boys
The White Stripes
David Bowie
The Who
U2
No Doubt
Talking Heads
Outkast

Based on the excitement of a reunion/long absense from spotlight alone, I would go with No Doubt, U2 and Outkast. Done.

agreed, however bowie will not be there, get over it friends...

I would add Radiohead to this list for well, obvious reasons...

oasis4life2002
11-06-2008, 08:35 AM
After looking at the bands u posted I truely believe Oasis will be there this year. If u look at there tour schedule they they have a 2 and a half month span of where they wouldn't play. And with there U.S leg coming up there only playing 11 shows. That doesn't make sense 4 a band that big. I may be completely wrong but I hope I'm not.

frozen pilgrim
11-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Friday - Daft Punk
Saturday - Radiohead
Sunday - David Bowie

I'm calling it.

I get shivers just thinking about this. I'm not even what you could call a radiohead 'fan', but that's still just total friggin' awesomeness

Edmontonian
11-06-2008, 09:26 AM

The Cure
Oasis
Beastie Boys
The White Stripes
David Bowie
The Who
U2
No Doubt
Talking Heads
Outkast

Based on your elimination you'd have to take out the Cure and the Beastie Boys as they headlined sasquatch the last two years respectively, and also Oasis because they headlined virgin fest toronto

Edmontonian
11-06-2008, 09:28 AM
After looking at the bands u posted I truely believe Oasis will be there this year. If u look at there tour schedule they they have a 2 and a half month span of where they wouldn't play. And with there U.S leg coming up there only playing 11 shows. That doesn't make sense 4 a band that big. I may be completely wrong but I hope I'm not.

After the attack on Noel Gallagher at Virgin Fest Toronto this year I have a suspicion they won't be touring N.A. too soon....

Edmontonian
11-06-2008, 09:32 AM
I also wouldn't rule out Depeche Mode coming back, they've got a new album in the works...

Edmontonian
11-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Add under suspected reunions: Genesis and the Jackson 5

I definitely don't think either will happen but it would make sweet headliners...

Edmontonian
11-06-2008, 09:36 AM
the white stripes are not big enough to headline. Call it a "big reunion" if you want cuz apparently they are broken up for "good" but lets not forget their last tour together was just recently still in summer 07. Not much of a "reunion" when you've only been "broken up" for less than two years. If they do get together again now it won't be that big of a deal. for them to headline you'd have to wait like 5 years at least.

Boourns
11-06-2008, 09:40 AM
They can headline Friday.

bigc1
11-06-2008, 10:01 AM
im predicting

fri - White Stripes
sat - Jane's Addiction
sun - Outkast

captncrzy
11-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Boourns, were you the one that did the top 20 prediction list last year? If so, you should do it again. It was really fun, helped pass the time, and you did a good job of keeping it organized.

If it wasn't you, then nvm.

captncrzy
11-06-2008, 10:15 AM
I also wouldn't rule out Depeche Mode coming back, they've got a new album in the works...

Rule them out. Starting tour at beginning of May and won't be in North America until the end of July.

microcuts
11-06-2008, 10:17 AM

They've already stated that their world tour is starting in May in Israel. The North American leg doesn't start until the fall of 2009, so I'd say they are definitely ruled out.

*edit - beat by captncrzy!

emtgreg
11-06-2008, 10:32 AM
the white stripes are not big enough to headline. Call it a "big reunion" if you want cuz apparently they are broken up for "good" but lets not forget their last tour together was just recently still in summer 07. Not much of a "reunion" when you've only been "broken up" for less than two years. If they do get together again now it won't be that big of a deal. for them to headline you'd have to wait like 5 years at least.

They can headline Friday.

No Boourns, they can go headline APW or Bonnaroo...

*runs and hides from Salah...

futureperfect
11-06-2008, 01:11 PM
I really see No Doubt headlining Friday night. I know a lot of people aren't for that but I think that is a way for them to just come back without having to go so far from home ,since Gwen keeps popping out children. I also see Bowie headlining. It would be a massive triumph on Goldenvoices part to secure the Thin White Duke. I see another big headliner who they are gonna blind side us with like they did with Prince.

frozen pilgrim
11-06-2008, 01:30 PM
bowie's showed that he's willing to play unannounced as recently as 2006, so I say GV pulls a prince with ziggy this year. wait until 2-3 weeks before the actual fest, when there's maybe only 20% of the tickets left, and then announce his headlining.

futureperfect
11-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Yeah Bowie can have NIN as his subheadliner so he and Trent can sing "Hurt" and "Scary Monsters" together like in their tour in 95. That show was amazing.

Sonicifyouwantit
11-06-2008, 06:44 PM

The Cure
Oasis
Beastie Boys
The White Stripes
David Bowie
The Who
U2
No Doubt
Talking Heads
Outkast

now subtract Talking Heads because they aren't together and there are no plans for a reunion as great as that would be.

oftheheartofthesoul
11-06-2008, 06:49 PM
="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HGcuv9CqAsU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HGcuv9CqAsU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I just commented on your random bullshit video. Now you have to go to the Obama thread and do the same for me.

LooseAtTheZoo
11-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Just out of curiosity, is there been ANY reason why OutKast keeps coming up in these conversations? Yes it would be awesome, but I don't remember actually hearing any legitimate rumors outside people simply wanting them to play.

pancakespancakes
11-06-2008, 09:45 PM
the white stripes are not big enough to headline.

Not only are they extremely popular with the Coachella-going crowd, and are in pretty constant rotation on alternative rock radio, on their 2007 tour they were playing arenas. Yes, you read correctly. Arenas.

On the contrary, they were 5th-name down at Bonnaroo 07, and... I actually have no idea how well they were selling on their 07 tour. Just sayin... they were going to play the fucking LA forum.

I had to get over the fact that only two people on one 100-foot-wide stage could actually headline the country's best music festival... but on this^^ alone, it just makes so much goddamn sense for either '09 or '10. Friday only though, it seems...

pancakespancakes
11-06-2008, 09:51 PM
I see another big headliner who they are gonna blind side us with like they did with Prince.

This is really what I've been thinking all along with this otherwise crazy Bowie/Smiths/Heads business. Regardless of the whole ten-year thing that's already been disproven, for the most part... Goldenvoice just not take steps down. They cannot. And they will not. Paul will either match last year or take another step up.

If he comes up with a lineup that's not as good as last year, even if it's totally amazing in itself, I can't see Coachella not going into the crapper from there. Things just don't work that way, until you hit the ceiling, which hasn't been done yet.

wait until 2-3 weeks before the actual fest, when there's maybe only 20% of the tickets left, and then announce his headlining.

I might think this too man, but... that wasn't exactly successful for GV this year! I don't know if you noticed... first year since 2003 we didn't sell out!

Coachella Bound
11-06-2008, 10:18 PM
yeah but individual tickets did sell out and three day passes were more than ever.

It would be stupid to think that a number of tix wernt sold after they announced Prince. id think there would only be a last minute headline announcement if tickets were slow to sell.

But then again Paul is "always full of surprises". he does shit for the sure enjoyment of peoples reactions.

oftheheartofthesoul
11-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Just out of curiosity, is there been ANY reason why OutKast keeps coming up in these conversations? Yes it would be awesome, but I don't remember actually hearing any legitimate rumors outside people simply wanting them to play.

Define "legitimate rumor." To me that reads on a similar level as "delicate rabid fox" or "Vice President Sarah Palin."

boarderwoozel3
11-08-2008, 05:05 PM
yeah but individual tickets did sell out and three day passes were more than ever.

It would be stupid to think that a number of tix wernt sold after they announced Prince. id think there would only be a last minute headline announcement if tickets were slow to sell.

But then again Paul is "always full of surprises". he does shit for the sure enjoyment of peoples reactions.

I know thats what was announced but I call BS. 08 was obviously less crowded than 07 and the latter sold out the day passes in hours and all 3 day passes in less than a month. Even the campground in 08 was obviously less crowded. I liked the extra space but sales-wise, looking around it was easy to see that 08 had to have been a step down. But that probably would have been different if Prince was announced with the initial lineup.

As for headliners this year, Bowie/Smiths/Heads is a pipe dream. The Smiths alone would cost upwards of 6 million and getting the Talking heads back together wouldn't be any cheaper--or any more realistic for that matter. Bowie would command Prince money too, aka, a shit ton! I doubt GV has the budget for more than one of those acts, if they're lucky enough to book one at all.

Last year was a departure from the streak of heavier headliners in recent years. But every year there seems to be a big reunion, a rock band, and then a wild card. All that said I can see these realistic possibilities toward the top of the Coachella 09 ticket:

Muse- Last year GV strayed away form the big contemporary rock band for the first time. I see that format making a return.
The Smiths- GV will make surely a run at them with a lot of money, will they bite?
Coldplay-The new album has done well and received a lot of critical acclaim
My Bloody Valentine- Paul knows them, they're a big, recent reunion
Jane's Addiction- Big rock band reunion, Coachella is the first major international festival of the season, you do the math
Radiohead- " ditto muse"
White Stripes- " "
Wlico- " "
The Flaming Lips- " "
King of Leon- " "
Pearl Jam- " " big rock band that still haven't played Coachella.

For returning headliners, GV has used the four year rule. So anything under that doesn't seem likely.

All of this = :2c

Xrawrthatboy
11-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Divine Intervention:
David Bowie
The Smiths
Radiohead (trying to keep the faith, but to me seems unlikely)

Yes, please!:
White Stripes (an injured Jack White could shit gems in time)
Kanye West (& friends, with airplanes dropping bio-degradable Versace and Luis Vuitton)
Morrissey
Daft Punk

No Thanks:
Coldplay
NIN
U2
Jay Z

Headliner.. really?:
Elvis Costello (maybe i'm ignorant but, ZZZ..)
The Killers (please, no)
The Flaming Lips (I would give it to beck before the lips)
Outkast (Sub maybe, but this just seems like a step down from last year. How about some Beasties instead?)

Bottom Line:
whoever called "Daft/'Head/Duke"-chella has the key to my heart and chastity belt.

Alchemy
11-08-2008, 06:50 PM
I don't believe that Kanye West, Radiohead, or Daft Punk will headline. That smells too much like Lollapalooza, and we've recently seen all three of these guys traveling the U.S. Despite that Kanye West has a new album... Of those three, I do think that Kanye is most likely, but I also think that he'd be under a bigger, fresher name.

I sometimes hear people say that because Jack Johnson headlined, everything is possible now, like The Killers or Arcade Fire or Muse, and I really think that Coachella could get all three of those bands to play without having to bill them as headliners. Let's remember that Jack Johnson headlining didn't really work. I think Hot Chip might have had a bigger crowd... Actually, I'm pretty sure they did.

I'm thinking that the stars are pointing toward The Cure. With a new album already out, and another one coming out before Coachella, they seem fit. I think 2004 is far enough to bring them back, and I personally would approve of their addition to the line-up. I don't think Coldplay or Nine Inch Nails will be coming back just yet, and I have a feeling U2 wouldn't be down; although a Joshua Tree set would definitely be a great thing for Coachella, in my opinion.

As for The Flaming Lips and Beck, I also think that Coachella could bill those two under a headliner. However, I also think that Coachella can have Beck headline Friday, but I'd rather they didn't, because Beck has already been playing a lot of places, and I'm a firm advocate of Coachella being first, big, and fresh... Which is why I think it's likely that No Doubt will begin their reunion by headlining Coachella on Friday with a rather strong list of bands on the second-tier.

So I have this idea of No Doubt on Friday. The Cure on Saturday. And I think that Coachella should really pull a big rabbit out of their hat for Sunday, because people will be remembering how awesome Prince was the year before, and how big Roger Waters' production was, and I think that they need to try and keep the momentum rolling. I think No Doubt and The Cure would be pretty cool, but it would really be Coachellaesque if they grabbed a hold of David Bowie for Sunday. Pay him what Prince was payed, and I think it's possible.