PDA

View Full Version : Broken Social Scene Likely

Edmontonian
11-05-2008, 10:56 AM
So last December I saw BSS play a Kevin Drew solo show (which was about 50% songs off the Kevin Drew solo album and 50% BSS songs) in Edmonton, AB. I was working at the venue and was cleaning up afterwards and K.D. came out and was signing autographs so I got a record I bought signed. I asked Kevin if BSS would be playing coachella that year (2008). He said

"Definitely not this year, we're doing some other festivals instead, but probably next year."

Meaning probably 2009. It's not for sure, but considering they did Lolla and Bonarroo last year and haven't done Coach in a few years I consider this a VERY high probability.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-05-2008, 11:08 AM
exciting...their set in 2004 was stellar...

Boourns
11-05-2008, 11:16 AM
I want Feist and Haines up on-stage with them, too.

frozen pilgrim
11-05-2008, 11:39 AM
and at that moment, I hope the whole stage bursts into flames.

JebusLives
11-05-2008, 12:13 PM
I've seen them thrice, and it was always the bare-bones lineup. Kevin's a bit of a wanker IMO, although I like their tunes. Hopefully the whole troupe shows up.

rage patton
11-05-2008, 12:25 PM
and at that moment, I hope the whole stage bursts into flames.

What is wrong with Broken Social Scene man??? They are incredible live.

sonofhal
11-05-2008, 01:56 PM
So last December I saw BSS play a Kevin Drew solo show (which was about 50% songs off the Kevin Drew solo album and 50% BSS songs) in Edmonton, AB. I was working at the venue and was cleaning up afterwards and K.D. came out and was signing autographs so I got a record I bought signed. I asked Kevin if BSS would be playing coachella that year (2008). He said

"Definitely not this year, we're doing some other festivals instead, but probably next year."

Meaning probably 2009. It's not for sure, but considering they did Lolla and Bonarroo last year and haven't done Coach in a few years I consider this a VERY high probability.

Not to piss on your picnic, but bands have to be invited to play festivals. They may get an invite, but they certainly wouldn't get one 17 months before the festival.

frozen pilgrim
11-05-2008, 02:47 PM
What is wrong with Broken Social Scene man??? They are incredible live.

haha nothing's specifically wrong with broken social scene, actually. in fact, I've never really had a chance to see them live, for the same reason I made the flame-bursting comment: their toronto fans. I have to take pictures of this local bar, ronnie's- it's THE number one indie hipster bar in the downtown, and it's literally within view of my front door. so for the last 2 1/2 almost 3 years, every time I want to go anywhere in my own neighbourhood (let alone actually risk going into a bar in my own hood) I have to deal with crowds of tight corduroy wearing, thick glasses sporting, stella artois swilling shower-avoiding buttpipes who NEVER SHUT UP about BSS, rilo kiley, feist, arcade fire, death cab for cutie, and stars. that ALL they listen to. in fact, members of BSS, and stars are regulars at ronnie's making for hipster feeding frenzies like you would not believe. and I know, you're probably thinking "how the hell does the crowd at a couple bars ruin a whole neighbourhood?!" but trust me- it has. because now kensington is viewed as some kind of indie mecca, with ronnie's at the center, and immigrant families are being pushed out of their homes by spoiled hipster college kids who get their parents to rent them a house in the market, and old businesses are being pushed out for fucking tapas bars to cater to the spoiled college clientele that moved in to be part of the nassau street, ronnie's local 619, indie is the way of life BS.
it has to be seen to be believed.

/rant D:

vinylmartyr
11-05-2008, 03:33 PM
tapas are good.

frozen pilgrim
11-05-2008, 03:33 PM
in small doses.
*rimshot* hey-o!

matsuolost
11-05-2008, 03:34 PM
at fucking last! ive been asking for that since 05

frozen pilgrim
11-05-2008, 03:34 PM
yeah! tapas for coachella 09!

rage patton
11-05-2008, 03:38 PM
That is hilarious Luka. So, more acurately, you want Ronnie's to burst into flames... not Broken Social Scene.

ArcadeParade
11-05-2008, 03:51 PM

Agreed.

With them = A must see for me

Without them = Would rather use the time to grab a bite than check them out

rage patton
11-05-2008, 03:54 PM
When I saw Broken Social Scene, they didn't have Feist or Emily Haines, and they were still amazing. Get over yourselves. Emily Haines and Fesit both work on their own now, and their current projects are much more successful than Broken Social Scene. Unless it is a special show, you will never see Broken Social Scene with Emily Haines and/or Feist again.

amyzzz
11-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Luka's rant was pretty funny. Gentrification, I guess.

futureperfect
11-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Ive seen BSS with Feist and with Amy Milan both times they were good I have never seen them With Emily Haines but have seen Metric several times. Feist is great as long as she does 7/4 Shoreline but Amy Milan is cool to I loved seeing Stars this year at Coach along with Metric

ArcadeParade
11-05-2008, 05:09 PM
When I saw Broken Social Scene, they didn't have Feist or Emily Haines, and they were still amazing. Get over yourselves. Emily Haines and Fesit both work on their own now, and their current projects are much more successful than Broken Social Scene. Unless it is a special show, you will never see Broken Social Scene with Emily Haines and/or Feist again.

I have seen BSS without them, I wouldn't do it again. Just sayin..

frozen pilgrim
11-05-2008, 08:17 PM
That is hilarious Luka. So, more acurately, you want Ronnie's to burst into flames... not Broken Social Scene.

yeah, I suppose that's accurate :P

butitdidhappen
11-05-2008, 09:00 PM
haha nothing's specifically wrong with broken social scene, actually. in fact, I've never really had a chance to see them live, for the same reason I made the flame-bursting comment: their toronto fans. I have to take pictures of this local bar, ronnie's- it's THE number one indie hipster bar in the downtown, and it's literally within view of my front door. so for the last 2 1/2 almost 3 years, every time I want to go anywhere in my own neighbourhood (let alone actually risk going into a bar in my own hood) I have to deal with crowds of tight corduroy wearing, thick glasses sporting, stella artois swilling shower-avoiding buttpipes who NEVER SHUT UP about BSS, rilo kiley, feist, arcade fire, death cab for cutie, and stars. that ALL they listen to. in fact, members of BSS, and stars are regulars at ronnie's making for hipster feeding frenzies like you would not believe. and I know, you're probably thinking "how the hell does the crowd at a couple bars ruin a whole neighbourhood?!" but trust me- it has. because now kensington is viewed as some kind of indie mecca, with ronnie's at the center, and immigrant families are being pushed out of their homes by spoiled hipster college kids who get their parents to rent them a house in the market, and old businesses are being pushed out for fucking tapas bars to cater to the spoiled college clientele that moved in to be part of the nassau street, ronnie's local 619, indie is the way of life BS.
it has to be seen to be believed.

/rant D:

First off, there are plenty of places on Queen west with plenty more hipsters than you'll ever find at Ronnie's.

Second, you obviously live in the middle of Kensington Market, directly across from a popular bar. What do you expect? Kensington's pretty touristy. What can you do.

JSam67
11-05-2008, 09:10 PM
BSS was very good at Lolla this year. I'd enjoy seeing them with Emily in the desert.

frozen pilgrim
11-05-2008, 09:30 PM
First off, there are plenty of places on Queen west with plenty more hipsters than you'll ever find at Ronnie's.

Second, you obviously live in the middle of Kensington Market, directly across from a popular bar. What do you expect? Kensington's pretty touristy. What can you do.

queen west is full of electro *** hipsters. people with not enough money to go to circa. i.e. the social.
different from the ronnie's crowd. more gay, less lesbian.

second, yes, I do live in the middle of kensington. and I have for twenty years. and it's not the toursists I care about. nothing makes me happier than when, on a saturday, the streets are chock full of people buying meat and fish and vegetables and sitting on patios and checking out eclectic little shops. it's for their sake that ronnie's needs to be burned down. it's kensington MARKET, not kensington the frat house.

final straw that broke my back on that one? when planet kensington got replaced by the firewood grill, and the upscale embassy bar pushed out the hydroponic supply store.

every time I walk past ronnie's with my friends or family, we yell out to the patio "their first album was better!"

moomoo
11-05-2008, 09:36 PM
That rant was pretty epic dude.

Courtney
11-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Not to piss on your picnic, but bands have to be invited to play festivals. They may get an invite, but they certainly wouldn't get one 17 months before the festival.

I agree with this comment. Which is not to say that I would not be in approval of BSS being added to the lineup.

Ooohhhhh double negative.

emtgreg
11-06-2008, 05:10 AM

I just want Feist and Emily Haines...on a stage, in my apartment...wherever...

also BSS is fun...regardless...

I will drink a Stella Artois today...just to honor this thread!

thestripe
11-06-2008, 05:54 AM
exciting...their set in 2004 was stellar...

QFT. Love, love, love.

rage patton
11-06-2008, 10:17 AM
I have seen BSS without them, I wouldn't do it again. Just sayin..

Then I guess you are never seeing Broken Social Scene again. Your loss.

Boourns
11-06-2008, 10:39 AM
I would be unfulfilled.