PDA

View Full Version : Bring back Aphex Twin (2 - 3 hour set)

crazzz2007
11-01-2008, 11:23 AM
gv should bring back aphex twin, but this time for at least a 2 hours set.

maybe gv gave him only an hour last year so that if he flaked out again, it would only ruin an hour and not more.

we deserve a longer aphex performance!

betao
11-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Aphex only had an hour because of the overloaded sahara on friday. Giving him more time would have meant taking less time from someone else (which would have been fine with me).

But I agree. We definitely deserve a longer performance from Richard.

frozen pilgrim
11-01-2008, 11:46 AM
richard D james said himself in a video filmed immediately after his sahara tent set last year that he would have liked more time.

GV, do you really have the balls to directly deny the clearly expressed wishes of aphex twin?

well, actually I bet you guys do, but still. aphex!

quicksand
11-01-2008, 12:20 PM
for real!!! LIVE SET PLZZ!

frozen pilgrim
11-01-2008, 12:28 PM
oh god damnit. not this 'live set' business again. people who think all he was doing was DJing are sadly mistaken. his laptop runs custom software that his closest friends and even sometimes biggest fans online have written with/for him.

I just want more of what we had. I'm not gonna get my nuts in a twist if he doesn't want to drop cornish acid or 4 or windowlicker. he does something to every sound he touches that makes it... I don't even know. he's a genius.

gaypalmsprings
11-01-2008, 12:32 PM
once was enough. no thanks.

boarderwoozel3
11-01-2008, 12:40 PM
I agree with gps.

frozen pilgrim
11-01-2008, 12:56 PM
meh, you guys can have someone really awesome on the main stage. I 100% understand where you're coming from. I understand that people like myself who are that deeply into aphex twin are a minority among music listeners, but I still think there's enough of us among the coachella audience to fill the sahara tent from 9-11 on friday or something like that.

woogie846
11-01-2008, 01:04 PM
A longer set would be great.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-01-2008, 02:16 PM
I agree with this thread...longer set and make it live...

sbessiso
11-01-2008, 02:32 PM
and what would GV offer Boarderwoozel, GPS and myself? White Stripes would be perfect

frozen pilgrim
11-01-2008, 02:37 PM
that's cool with me. I'm not saying I don't like the white stripes, but I'd miss them for two hours of aphex twin.

that's in essence what happened this year:
raconteurs VS aphex twin

Goodtoknow
11-01-2008, 02:40 PM
I would love to see a little more aphex twin next year. Dude absolutely blew my mind in 2008.

sbessiso
11-01-2008, 02:40 PM
exactly. Works out fine for me. My red pants are READY

quicksand
11-01-2008, 03:33 PM
God damn, I can't even imagine how mind blowing 2 HOURS of live Aphex Twin would be.

orbit
11-01-2008, 04:01 PM
oh god damnit. not this 'live set' business again. people who think all he was doing was DJing are sadly mistaken. his laptop runs custom software that his closest friends and even sometimes biggest fans online have written with/for him.

his laptop runs traktor.

orbit
11-01-2008, 04:06 PM
I understand that people like myself who are that deeply into aphex twin are a minority among music listeners, but I still think there's enough of us among the coachella audience to fill the sahara tent from 9-11 on friday or something like that.

how deeply into aphex are you? or, how can someone know if it's part of that minority? serious question.

Quadromarshia
11-01-2008, 04:14 PM
exactly. Works out fine for me. My red pants are READY

That's good to hear.

If it was a three hour set, I'd probably catch some of the begining of his set, then move on to the headliner (let's just say it's White Stripes).

I think he'd be great headlining Friday night. But if there's other acts, such as David Bowie, David Byrne, etc headlining they deserve to close out their respective nights.

frozen pilgrim
11-01-2008, 04:47 PM
his laptop runs traktor.

not according to him. although I wouldn't be surprised if he was using the traktor GUI as a shell, as it's (at least in my opinion) the most intuitive. but yeah. he was running plenty of other stuff, I'm sure. listening to the intro, I'd say he had modeled synths to filter all the tracks he was using to give them a warmer sound, and the intro was just him using them to generate ambient chords.

how into aphex am I? I dunno. I don't think there's a scale... into his music enough that I've tried to find out as much about how he makes it as I can, and enough that I'd not hesitate to miss someone like the white stripes to see him. and enough that I stood through all of diplo to get a really good spot.

I don't think he should headline the fest, and I also don't think he should go up against the 'penultimate' headliner. like if this year he'd been up against portishead/prince, that would've been such a hard choice I might have somehow managed to undergo mitosis. but put him up against whoever we get instead of JJ.

orbit
11-01-2008, 04:49 PM
not according to him.

where did he say that?

well, i love aphex but i wouldn't miss people like bowie or talking heads for him. so i don't know if i'm really into him then.

frozen pilgrim
11-01-2008, 05:06 PM
I don't think I'd miss bowie or talking heads for him either. but I don't think paul T would be that crazy.
edit:
he said that in an interview a few years ago. but yeah even if he was using traktor for the playing back tracks part, there was still a lot more going on. he had a lot more gear than just a laptop.

PassiveTheory
11-01-2008, 05:11 PM
2 hours would be fine, but no more. Don't want to detract from more awesome Sahara performers.

Seriously, they gave fucking Danny Tenaglia (Tengalia?) a 2 hour set last year... The fuck?

frozen pilgrim
11-01-2008, 05:58 PM
yeah... I really don't know how that worked out. friday night was such a clusterfuck... so much stuff to see

superfiction
11-01-2008, 06:02 PM
2 hours would be fine, but no more. Don't want to detract from more awesome Sahara performers.

Seriously, they gave fucking Danny Tenaglia (Tengalia?) a 2 hour set last year... The fuck?

i wanted to shoot myself. there were like 5 people around me who thought he was the greatest thing ever and i was just completely pissed the whole time

betao
11-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Sunday could have been scheduled better. Danny T should have been up against Roger Waters, allowing most of us to see SMD (thats who I wanted to see in the last 4 sahara act run down on sunday night.)

As for Friday, It would have been lovely to give Aphex more time, but I don't know how well it could have worked without making conflicts work.

One way could have been to move Diplo to a different day. Or, better yet, off the lineup completely.

sacleonard
11-01-2008, 11:13 PM
friday night was such a clusterfuck... so much stuff to see

Friday had the strongest lineup (headliner excluded, of course), but the scheduling conflicts were awful. In part of my running between stages, I caught the end of Aphex Twin, so I would welcome a return (hopefully without the conflicts this time).

sbessiso
11-02-2008, 12:05 AM
you're into his music enough where you would watch a 2-3 hour set. That says it all

cooperb1
11-02-2008, 12:21 AM
i would like a 2 hr set 1 hr was not long enough i left feeling it was a good set but something was missing

LooseAtTheZoo
11-02-2008, 07:05 AM
If Aphex simultaneously blew my mind with his set and also fucked up some of my plans. Conflicts were horrible, and would be worse if he played 2-3 hours in a prime night-time slot. Is he big enough to headline the Sahara?

quicksand
11-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Yes

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-02-2008, 09:01 AM
nah, they should put Aphex in the outdoor or something next time...

Jakewc151
11-02-2008, 09:23 AM
I thought his set SUCKED.. Being an Aphex Twin fan I expected a lot more then a dull face staring into a laptop the whole time and I don't give a fuck what program he has.. If you're djing in the sahara u better get off your ass and atleast look at the crowd and put a fake smile on your face for christ sake.. Please don't bring back richard james.

orbit
11-02-2008, 09:34 AM
being an aphex fan you should've known he barely does those things.

Stackamynutz
11-02-2008, 09:35 AM
I would totally be game for a 2-3 hour set. Last year he rocked my face off for an hour, and I would have enjoyed it had it gone on for 2-3 as well. I don't think he should headline the main stage or anything like that, but I agree with Pilgrim's comments on this. I can't think of anyone I would see over RDJ.

shakermaker113
11-02-2008, 09:51 AM
where's that video in which he says he only just found out (when he arrived) that he only had an hour? he seemed surprised.

LooseAtTheZoo
11-02-2008, 02:22 PM
where's that video in which he says he only just found out (when he arrived) that he only had an hour? he seemed surprised.

I think that the video you're talking about isn't when he found out he had an hour, but the one where he just thinks it was a lot of work to get him into the states just to play for one hour.Or am I understanding your post wrong?

cansei de ser sexme
11-02-2008, 03:03 PM
P9G1sdo8UTY

'I only found out i was doing an hour today.'

shakermaker113
11-02-2008, 03:05 PM
I think that the video you're talking about isn't when he found out he had an hour, but the one where he just thinks it was a lot of work to get him into the states just to play for one hour.Or am I understanding your post wrong?

that's the one. what I meant was, he didn't find out until he got there that he was only playing for an hour. or at least, that's how it sounded. let me dig it up...

here it is:

P9G1sdo8UTY&feature=related

"I only found out that I'm only doing an hour today..."

cansei de ser sexme
11-02-2008, 03:16 PM
too slow

rage patton
11-02-2008, 03:41 PM
One hour was good for me. I loved Aphex, but an hour was perfect.

quicksand
11-02-2008, 04:16 PM
He should just have his own tent really.

crazzz2007
11-03-2008, 11:57 AM
If Aphex simultaneously blew my mind with his set and also fucked up some of my plans. Conflicts were horrible, and would be worse if he played 2-3 hours in a prime night-time slot. Is he big enough to headline the Sahara?

try using logic. the longer someone plays, the more likely you can make time to see at least part of their set.

logic is your friend.

crazzz2007
11-03-2008, 11:58 AM
I thought his set SUCKED.. Being an Aphex Twin fan I expected a lot more then a dull face staring into a laptop the whole time and I don't give a fuck what program he has.. If you're djing in the sahara u better get off your ass and atleast look at the crowd and put a fake smile on your face for christ sake.. Please don't bring back richard james.

you want to watch him push buttons? what the hell are you talking about. i think you're missing the point entirely.

LooseAtTheZoo
11-03-2008, 02:20 PM
try using logic. the longer someone plays, the more likely you can make time to see at least part of their set.

logic is your friend.

This is just based on my own preferences. I really don't like seeing partial sets. The only time I usually bail is if the show is going horrible. I couldn't stand just seeing a band for thirty minutes, seeing another one for 15, etc... just to be able to see them all.

mvanwinkle
11-03-2008, 02:51 PM
and what would GV offer Boarderwoozel, GPS and myself? White Stripes would be perfect

that would make up for my stupid assed mistake of seeing aphex instead of the raconteurs :nono

sbessiso
11-03-2008, 02:54 PM
I like your style vanwinkle

mvanwinkle
11-03-2008, 03:09 PM
I like your style vanwinkle
Thanks ya. cant find many people who i like more then jack white
I am still kicking myself for that. that and leaving my great spot after arcade fire to go see blonde redhead instead of staying for rhcp which i ended up returning to in a bad spot.

sbessiso
11-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Its OK man, you have to forgive yourself. You have to! You had no way of knowing Aphex was gunna be.....that

RedThom
11-03-2008, 03:18 PM
The 2008 Aphex Twin, while I guess short according to that video, was one of the more remarkable things I've seen. Would I like to see more of it? Absolutely.

quicksand
11-03-2008, 05:13 PM
cant find many people who i like more then jack white

wow.

boarderwoozel3
11-03-2008, 05:24 PM

For 2-3 hours we could get two second or third tier main stage acts! I'm all over that.

too slow

Tee-hee

that would make up for my stupid assed mistake of seeing aphex instead of the raconteurs :nono

I wish I had seen the racs too. It's cool being able to say "I've seen aphex live," but not until listening to the recording months later did I appreciate it. Even then, I get why people are into him, he's a very technically skilled composer. But even so, it's just not really my cup of tea.

pancakespancakes
11-03-2008, 05:45 PM
One hour was good for me. I loved Aphex, but an hour was perfect.

Agreed. If this was at Bonnaroo, obviously I would want more than an hour, (in fact a late night has been tossed around a bit, that would be choice,) but for everyone at Coachella I basically expect and plan on hour or less sets. And, occasionally its frustrating, (such as Animal Collective's frickin 45 minutes!) but I've gotten used to this fact.

mvanwinkle
11-03-2008, 05:46 PM
For 2-3 hours we could get two second or third tier main stage acts! I'm all over that.

Tee-hee

I wish I had seen the racs too. It's cool being able to say "I've seen aphex live," but not until listening to the recording months later did I appreciate it. Even then, I get why people are into him, he's a very technically skilled composer. But even so, it's just not really my cup of tea.

thats excactly my thoughts on the whole thing.

betao
11-03-2008, 06:05 PM
nah, they should put Aphex in the outdoor or something next time...

no no no no no no no no no no.

i dont want him to play outside when he could be performing in a tent. i think his sound is meant to be played in an indoors setting (even though a tent is still theoretically outside i guess, but you get what i mean).

futureperfect
11-03-2008, 06:45 PM
It was boring compared to seeing him open for Bjork in 1995

orbit
11-03-2008, 11:37 PM
seriously. the more i listen to his coachella set the angrier i am. i mean, it was good and all, but wtf aphex. no unreleased or new material (except for like maybe 1 track?), no your own tracks? i think aphex doesn't like the us. he only plays his good stuff in europe. his shows before and after coachella are fucking great, especially that oxegen set.

Boourns
11-04-2008, 04:34 AM
He should have played in the Fatboy Slim slot.

betao
11-04-2008, 04:55 AM
i think aphex doesn't like the us.

hah I could have told you that before he was on the lineup.

RedThom
11-04-2008, 06:28 AM
He should have played in the Fatboy Slim slot.

Seconded

Aphxtwinin
11-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Aphex Twin...main stage sunday night...closing set 2-3hrs into the wee hours of the morning....i also just thought of BoC vs. Aphex Twin in Sahara...that would be phenomenal

orbit
11-04-2008, 07:56 AM
hah I could have told you that before he was on the lineup.

well, you just have to check the tracklists for his other shows.

mvanwinkle
11-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Aphex Twin...main stage sunday night...closing set 2-3hrs into the wee hours of the morning....i also just thought of BoC vs. Aphex Twin in Sahara...that would be phenomenal

errrr. nope.

Stackamynutz
11-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Aphex Twin...main stage sunday night...closing set 2-3hrs into the wee hours of the morning

Aphex is my favorite musician of all time, but I don't think this is the way to do it. I mean, time slot aside, the light show in the killatent would totally top any light show the main stage could do. Also, even though RDJ is my favorite, I can appreciate that he isn't everyone's favorite. Thus I wouldn't expect or desire him to be on the main stage unless the amount of people seeing him there would warrant it. I think an experience in a crowded tent would be much better than a sparse crowd at a larger stage.

Now I am down with your time selection (I think that last year he should have just closed out Friday - put Pendulum into a different time slot and Fatboy who?), but not your day selection. Again, for me personally it would be awesome to have the festival closed out by him, but I don't think it would be as epic for as many people. Closing out Friday or Saturday would be just right though. Maybe even better to have it be Friday so that only people who really want to be there are there and not just people who wandered into it because they didn't know where else to go or something like that.

Just my thoughts.

Aphxtwinin
11-04-2008, 10:56 PM
errrr. nope.

i was thinking very imaginatively at the time...i know its not possible nor would i want it to happen really...it just sounded like a fun time and i know how we like to have fun times around here

lowfront
11-05-2008, 05:28 AM
His set last year ripped me apart.....

was unreal

I want more!!!!

crazzz2007
11-06-2008, 05:05 PM
bring aphex twin back, GV!

Yes you can! Sí usted puede!

LooseAtTheZoo
11-06-2008, 05:18 PM
And RDJ has already said he wants more time!!! So you know he won't flake again!