PDA

View Full Version : Home Studio Music Recording experience?

Good Days Last
02-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Is there anyone here with recording experience with a laptop. I bought the UX2 from Line6 and i'm planning on recording guitar, bass and vox with that. My problem lies in drums.
I'm using an on-screen drum program ( click and put a drum/cymbal hit in)
And I'm wondering about using a keyboard, and if it's easier to record a drum beat with that.

woogie846
02-06-2007, 07:02 PM
I've never tried that. I usually go the cheap, lazy way and just clap.

york707
02-06-2007, 07:43 PM
It probably has some sort of cheap sequencer on it where you can graph out/chart out/plot/etc your drum track ahead of time. That's what I do on Garage band and it works brilliantly.

semisonic
02-06-2007, 07:51 PM
I have a home recording studio with both synth/sequencer percussion software as well as midi and analog keyboards I can use to "play" the instruments in real time. I find myself using the software more, simply because it is so easy to edit the beats after you've laid them down. You can edit midi, too, but that gets more complicated than the basic synth percussion programs.

Good Days Last
02-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Have you heard of a free drum program called Hydrogen?

hawkingvsreeve
02-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Get Reason.

Tylerdurden31
02-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Get Reason.

ding!

Tylerdurden31
02-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Have you heard of a free drum program called Hydrogen?

it's linux...so unless you have a linux machine...you're out of luck with that one. Get Reason

hawkingvsreeve
02-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Get Reason.

Good Days Last
02-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Well, there's a version of Hydrogen for Windows.. it's alright, but if I were to get a sequencer it'd be either Reason or Sonar Home Studio. I know Reason has drum machine... but it looks pretty complicated.

Tylerdurden31
02-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Well, there's a version of Hydrogen for Windows.. it's alright, but if I were to get a sequencer it'd be either Reason or Sonar Home Studio. I know Reason has drum machine... but it looks pretty complicated.

it's a lot easier than you'd think

goatparade
02-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Reason is just a musicians video game. It is fun though, the drum machine on is just a step recording pattern sequencer. It sounds complex but just play with it and you'll figure it out

fatbastard
02-07-2007, 01:48 PM
My problem lies in drums.

http://www.protoolsusers.org/forums.htm

hawkingvsreeve
02-07-2007, 03:47 PM
The thing about Reason is, the drum sounds are actually really good. The sequencer however, terrible. Not so much the actual drum computer where you put together patterns, but the part where you tell the sequencer how long to play each pattern. That part blows. Fruity Loops has that part well done, I think.

Tylerdurden31
02-07-2007, 07:42 PM
The thing about Reason is, the drum sounds are actually really good. The sequencer however, terrible. Not so much the actual drum computer where you put together patterns, but the part where you tell the sequencer how long to play each pattern. That part blows. Fruity Loops has that part well done, I think.

it's really not that difficult brandon. maybe you're just a little slow

thinnerair
02-08-2007, 06:24 AM
maybe im slow too.
ive had the worst luck messing around with their sequencer.
there are also some awesome drum sounds (and just sounds in general) that you can load in...like someone had given me a disc of all of these different drummers' actual kit sounds. It was quite cool.
I think it had Mike Portnoy, the dude from Meshuggah, Josh Freese, and a few others.