PDA

View Full Version : What's changed since Coachella's beginning?

pancakespancakes
10-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Now that we're coming on year 10, I have noticed that Coachella has maintained such a strong identity in part because, compared to the other major music festivals around the world, very little has changed since the first year, both big things (the lineup & music styles) and small things (the polo fields themselves). For those who went to the older years of Coachella, (I'm keeping this to 99, 01, 02, & maybe even 03) what sort of relatively insignificant, mundane things have changed over time since Coachella started?

And not necessarily big or obvious things like ticket prices, or lineup, or attendance, but things like:
-Layout of the polo grounds
-Set times, set lengths, stages (i.e. did bigger bands ever play Outdoor Theatre? Was there always an Outdoor Theatre?)
-How strict security is/was
-Food selection & price
-How crowded/uncrowded things used to seem
-The overall kinds of people in attendance

Any posts would be appreciated, I'm sadly curious.........

gaypalmsprings
10-27-2008, 08:17 PM
http://www.dollhousecollectibles.com/productimages/T8436.jpg

zenidogx
10-28-2008, 05:54 PM
the water rules seem to change every day of every year

gaypalmsprings
10-28-2008, 06:01 PM
I changed my underwear.

<<MATT>>
10-28-2008, 06:58 PM
random observations, things that vary...
-size of main stage vid screens
-size of sahara tent
-angle of the outdoor theater stage
-the entrance/will call configuration
-pathways of foot and car traffic in & out
-number of shade tents
-best method of remembering car's location

faxman75
10-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Please don't.

ivankay
10-28-2008, 08:31 PM
There used to be a no camera policy that evolved into being able to bring in disposable cameras to the now allowed non professional digitals.

shakermaker113
10-28-2008, 09:13 PM
there didn't used to be a gobi tent.

trancehiphop
10-28-2008, 10:32 PM
Are the drugs still in abundance? Cause I've heard that was one of the downfalls of bonnaroo over the years. I am wondering since this will be my first time at coachella and I want to just know. LOL

algunz
10-28-2008, 10:35 PM
The art recycling bins are not as abundant. I loved it when they kept them all together. They were a great place to get a little privacy. :winkiss

frozen pilgrim
10-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Are the drugs still in abundance? Cause I've heard that was one of the downfalls of bonnaroo over the years. I am wondering since this will be my first time at coachella and I want to just know. LOL

CHADCHADCHADCHADCHADCHADCHADCHAD

brenda
10-29-2008, 09:06 AM

06' we are all sneakatoke if we werent in big crowds but last year i was with my boyfriend and we were able to smoke a blunt broad daylight away from the stages just walkin around..

he was also surprised how WELL they didnt check him..

etardssss by night was the greatest part! haaa

invisiblerobots
10-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Back in 99 everything was in black and white and seemed to be slightly sped up.

CalmerThanYou
10-29-2008, 10:36 AM

CHAD, will you please get the fuck outta here?

shakermaker113
10-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Back in 99 everything was in black and white and seemed to be slightly sped up.

HA! nice.

Boourns
10-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Camp in 2004 was in a different spot. At least camping lot A was. Don't remember where lot B was.

amyzzz
10-29-2008, 01:46 PM
There was no camping the first year.

Boourns
10-29-2008, 01:51 PM
In earlier years (year?) there was a hot air balloon.

shakermaker113
10-29-2008, 02:06 PM
In earlier years (year?) there was a hot air balloon.

what?! like, one we could ride in?

Boourns
10-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Yep. It would take you up for views of the fest, or something. Sounds like fun.

trancehiphop
10-29-2008, 10:12 PM
CHADCHADCHADCHADCHADCHADCHADCHAD

CHAD, will you please get the fuck outta here?

what the fuck are you guys talkig about? I am not hip with this chad lingo! Are you calling me a undercover cop or what? I don't get it! AND IT'S really starting to piss me off. I just want to meet new people and talk about music and you tards with 1,000+ posts keep calling me that bullshit. It's quite annoying. I hope that when I attend coachella for my first time ever there are annoying fags like this, cause festivals it really boils down to the environment. That is what me and my little brother enjoyed most about bonnaroo when we flew down there this past summer...I hope/pray there aren't downers at coachella, but with it being so close to L.A. it is highly probable...

RoyBrisby
10-30-2008, 02:03 PM
I hope that when I attend coachella for my first time ever there are annoying fags like this, cause festivals it really boils down to the environment.

Oh man, I hope they change coachella to annoying fagchella, where the fags can roam freely! It would be like heaven.

slurpee
10-30-2008, 02:37 PM
what the fuck are you guys talkig about? I am not hip with this chad lingo! Are you calling me a undercover cop or what? I don't get it! AND IT'S really starting to piss me off. I just want to meet new people and talk about music and you tards with 1,000+ posts keep calling me that bullshit. It's quite annoying. I hope that when I attend coachella for my first time ever there are annoying fags like this, cause festivals it really boils down to the environment. That is what me and my little brother enjoyed most about bonnaroo when we flew down there this past summer...I hope/pray there aren't downers at coachella, but with it being so close to L.A. it is highly probable...

Stick to Bonnaroo.

CalmerThanYou
10-30-2008, 02:44 PM

yes, everyone will ridicule you for asking for drugs at coachella as well.

NARC

RoyBrisby
10-30-2008, 02:49 PM
I just want to meet new people and talk about music

stfu, you haven't said a single thing about music...

trancehiphop
10-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Stick to Bonnaroo.

stick to chicago.

trancehiphop
10-30-2008, 06:35 PM
stfu, you haven't said a single thing about music...

typical forum, everyone thinking they're hard over a flat-screen monitor...I just was asking a simple question. No need for you idiots to get all butt hurt about it. To each is own though, I bet the majority of you talking shit are either in high school, immature, or just plain ignorant. Either way, I could really give a rats ass what you think or say about me. Fucking pathetic that someone would make a verbal threat about someone else by pressing a few keys... Just the thought of it, makes me laugh...

RoyBrisby
10-30-2008, 09:25 PM
typical forum, everyone thinking they're hard over a flat-screen monitor...I just was asking a simple question. No need for you idiots to get all butt hurt about it. To each is own though, I bet the majority of you talking shit are either in high school, immature, or just plain ignorant. Either way, I could really give a rats ass what you think or say about me. Fucking pathetic that someone would make a verbal threat about someone else by pressing a few keys... Just the thought of it, makes me laugh...

1. You obviously care more than you dare admit because you invested your time trying to justify your intentions to A)High Schoolers B)Immature People C) Ignorant People (pick one).

2. Use the search tool to find information on drugs in a more relevant thread.

Finally, it is a message board, don't take it so seriously. Obviously you are well aware of the power of anonymity, so don't get all worked up about it.

Now about the drugs, there are drugs at every festival you go to. At Coachella you can choose to do drugs, and you can choose not to. However, based on the way that you wrote your question, it's hard to take it seriously because it's so convoluted. Let's take a closer look:

Are the drugs still in abundance?
This is a question, but it fails because your choice of using the word "abundance" is a very subjective term that means different things to different people. But instead of clarifying, you say:

Cause I've heard that was one of the downfalls of bonnaroo over the years.
Once again, it is unclear what you're asking and this second sentence(?) makes the original question more unclear. Are you asking if the abundance of drugs is a problem? Or are you asking that if the lack of abundance of drugs is a problem? And what does this have to do with Bonnaroo?

Finally:

I am wondering since this will be my first time at coachella and I want to just know. LOL
Everytime you let someone know you are the "new person" regardless of it being on the internets or in real life, people will pick on you.

So to summarize:
1. Don't take yourself too seriously.
2. Use the search function.
3. Ask questions in relevant places
4. Never put yourself in a subordinate position
5. The quality of your question gets you answers of that same quality.
6. I have too much free time.

trancehiphop
10-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Yes, yes you do. (6)

I could care less. I just wanted to know, but I guess I will just find out when I get there, arguing with you will never end since it seems as if you are the type of person that never admits when they are wrong...And NOBODY likes people like that.

RoyBrisby
10-31-2008, 07:37 AM
it seems as if you are the type of person that never admits when they are wrong...And NOBODY likes people like that.

Likewise.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-31-2008, 10:17 AM
Now that we're coming on year 10, I have noticed that Coachella has maintained such a strong identity in part because, compared to the other major music festivals around the world, very little has changed since the first year, both big things (the lineup & music styles) and small things (the polo fields themselves). For those who went to the older years of Coachella, (I'm keeping this to 99, 01, 02, & maybe even 03) what sort of relatively insignificant, mundane things have changed over time since Coachella started?

And not necessarily big or obvious things like ticket prices, or lineup, or attendance, but things like:
-Layout of the polo grounds
-Set times, set lengths, stages (i.e. did bigger bands ever play Outdoor Theatre? Was there always an Outdoor Theatre?)
-How strict security is/was
-Food selection & price
-How crowded/uncrowded things used to seem
-The overall kinds of people in attendance

Any posts would be appreciated, I'm sadly curious.........

Hello,

longterm goer here since 2001. From what I remember was the lay out a little different but it really hasn't changed much. Food prices and selection has changed only slightly since the conception. We have always had those coconuts since at least 2002 and the Thai/Chinese place since 2001 (I was always partial to that vege combo since it was only $7 I think its $9 now?)
The largest crowds I have seen were 2006 and 2007. Security has actually been much more lax in recent years then at the beginning. the first few years you couldn't even take back packs. The set times are now quite accurate when before it was more of a general idea. 2008 had the longest set time for Headliners then all the years past. Outdoor theater was always there. A couple of bands that migrated form the Outdoor to the main stage: Belle and Sebastian, Arcade Fire, Queens of The Stone Age, Interpol (there is more but I can't think now). And of course main stage bands have moved from main stage to the Outdoor: Air and Sonic Youth being the clear ones I remember right now. All in all, the line up has gotten much better since the start and the organization is top fucking notch compared to 2001.

EDIT: Some bands have also migrated from say the Mojave to the main stage: Sigur Ros, Mars Volta,
also more bands that moved from the Outdoor to the main: DCFC, My Morning Jacket, Kinky, Cafe Tacuba,

and just for fun, acts that played the small stages at Coachella but played the main stage at All Points West: Metric, Animal Collective, Cat Power and Rodrigo Y Gabriela.

ivankay
10-31-2008, 12:45 PM
2004 was my first time in the VIP section. With your admission you got drink tickets. No drink tickets anymore.

psychic friend
10-31-2008, 01:58 PM
i never heard of that and i work here.

that guy trancehiphop is hilariously douchey.

BROKENDOLL
10-31-2008, 02:08 PM
what the fuck are you guys talkig about? I am not hip with this chad lingo! Are you calling me a undercover cop or what? <<For being unaware of Chad lingo, you sure were quick to recall being called an undercover cop, am I right? Silly Chad, tricks are for kids.

ivankay
10-31-2008, 02:29 PM

When i got my tickets, drink tickets were with them. my friends had them too. i doubt we were special. i assumed everyone in VIP had them that year.

psychic friend
10-31-2008, 02:39 PM
well maybe.. those were not sold to public so.. who knows.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-31-2008, 02:51 PM
they were holding out the booze from you Dani.

psychic friend
10-31-2008, 02:53 PM
i guess.. hahaha

Goodtoknow
10-31-2008, 06:37 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Elr5K2Vuo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSjfQhjFGa8

Drugs are bad. Especially for little brothers.

shakermaker113
11-01-2008, 07:56 PM
hm. I just learned that in 2001 there was an insomniac tent. interesting.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-02-2008, 09:13 AM
WTF I don't remember that? What the hell was the insomniac tent?

shakermaker113
11-02-2008, 10:01 AM
looks like a second sahara, basically:

http://coachellarecordings.com/pictures/2001/200103.jpg

Wheres the beef?
11-02-2008, 10:40 AM
1. You obviously care more than you dare admit because you invested your time trying to justify your intentions to A)High Schoolers B)Immature People C) Ignorant People (pick one).

Finally, it is a message board, don't take it so seriously. Obviously you are well aware of the power of anonymity, so don't get all worked up about it.

Now about the drugs, there are drugs at every festival you go to. At Coachella you can choose to do drugs, and you can choose not to. However, based on the way that you wrote your question, it's hard to take it seriously because it's so convoluted. Let's take a closer look:

This is a question, but it fails because your choice of using the word "abundance" is a very subjective term that means different things to different people. But instead of clarifying, you say:

Once again, it is unclear what you're asking and this second sentence(?) makes the original question more unclear. Are you asking if the abundance of drugs is a problem? Or are you asking that if the lack of abundance of drugs is a problem? And what does this have to do with Bonnaroo?

Finally:

Everytime you let someone know you are the "new person" regardless of it being on the internets or in real life, people will pick on you.

So to summarize:

:thu

Wheres the beef?
11-02-2008, 10:42 AM

Insomniac tent all the way! Sahara was the Do Lab?

ivankay
11-02-2008, 10:42 AM
2001 ranks as my least favorite Coachella. There were many cool things about the day and the line up, but i had some personal issues dragging my shit down.

Wheres the beef?
11-02-2008, 11:01 AM
2001 ranks as my least favorite Coachella. There were many cool things about the day and the line up, but i had some personal issues dragging my shit down.

So whats changed since then? Still have personal issues dragging your shit down?

frozen pilgrim
11-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Silly Chad, tricks are for kids.

oh my god.
brokendoll, I'm making shirts with this on it and bringing them to coachella.

ivankay
11-02-2008, 11:34 AM
So whats changed since then? Still have personal issues dragging your shit down?

Those issues have since been resolved. Lets just say on that day, things were taking me out of the experience and making me question the current state of my life.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-02-2008, 01:18 PM

Bah! they just changed the name to the Sahara and the Sahara to the Gobi...

shakermaker113
11-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Insomniac tent all the way! Sahara was the Do Lab?

the do lab didn't appear till much later, I think. I forget the first year there was a do lab.

Bah! they just changed the name to the Sahara and the Sahara to the Gobi...

except in 2002 there was only two tents -- mojave and sahara. the gobi began in 2003. but more or less, maybe you're right. I don't know the size of the sahara or insomniac tents in 2001.

rage patton
11-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Oh my god... Sigur Ros in the Mojave?

Also, who the FUCK is MC Supernatural, and why was he playing after Iggy Pop.

ivankay
11-02-2008, 03:57 PM
except in 2002 there was only two tents -- mojave and sahara. the gobi began in 2003. but more or less, maybe you're right. I don't know the size of the sahara or insomniac tents in 2001.

Wasn't there some kind of air conditioning for the tents the first couple of years. For some reason that popped into my head?

shakermaker113
11-02-2008, 04:30 PM
don't know, I wasn't there.

ivankay
11-02-2008, 05:07 PM
i think there was AC. Someone back me upon that.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Oh my god... Sigur Ros in the Mojave?

I WAS THERE FUCKER!!! 1st North American Sigur Ros appearance ever!!! So fucking epic..I had no idea what I was walking into...I just wanted to hear them because Thom Yorke was raving about them...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-03-2008, 09:03 AM
i think there was AC. Someone back me upon that.

I spent some time in the Sahara in 2001...I don't remember AC...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-03-2008, 09:04 AM
the do lab didn't appear till much later, I think. I forget the first year there was a do lab.

the Sahara was the size of the Gobi and it was at the entrance of the festival..and the Insomniac was just as big as the normal Sahara.

humanoid
11-03-2008, 09:24 AM
I WAS THERE FUCKER!!! 1st North American Sigur Ros appearance ever!!! So fucking epic..I had no idea what I was walking into...I just wanted to hear them because Thom Yorke was raving about them...

Most people had no idea what they were walking into...absolutely beautiful performance

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-03-2008, 10:16 AM
:::sigh::: at least you know...

amyzzz
11-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Oh whoa. Tone down the supre-esque gloating there, Marco. ;)

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
11-03-2008, 12:08 PM
no gloating at all Amyz ;) it was just sooooo good. I have yet to be as surprised for a show as a was there. Imagine if only a few people here saw Daft Punk?

RedThom
11-03-2008, 03:31 PM
no gloating at all Amyz ;) it was just sooooo good. I have yet to be as surprised for a show as a was there. Imagine if only a few people here saw Daft Punk?

I'd actually have to say thats worth the gloating. One of those "Jesus Christ, whats going on here?!" moments. I've been going to shows since I was 12 and I have no story on par with just "walking in" to see a band.

bdfsh
11-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Supernat, one of illest freestylin' hip hop artists of all time...

He was on the Rock the Bells tour last year as the host, i caught it in Detroit and he was in between acts keepin it hype and what not..

M Sparks
01-15-2009, 08:00 AM
My pics from Coachella 99- it hasn't changed much.

Bike Rodeo
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/salwa002/architecture/old%20bike.jpg

The Do Lab
http://www.filmsbyhuey.com/HV%20Kids%20Hydrant%20photo008.jpg

Some of the sponsors...
http://www.gono.com/beermagazineads/heineken/h8.jpg
http://www.f1cd.ru/arts/mobile/nokia_history/4.jpg

Hand out from the KROQ tent.
http://www.annexbreach.com/_images/kroq_the_rag_MayJune1983.jpg

3 Pictures from the AT&T Blue Room...sign outside...
http://www.mobilitywatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/att-old-logo.gif

Watching replay from the Mojave
http://www.tween.org/watchingTV1950ent1.jpg

Facebook update time!
http://www.clavius.org/img/whirlwind-computer.jpg

One big thing, they didn't have the Strawberry Lemonade yet.
http://www.bayofislandsspca.ca/images/lemonade%20stand.jpg

The Chemical Brothers were awesome...
http://www.co.yamhill.or.us/pics/McMinnville/50s/McMinnvilleRogersPharmacy1950s.jpg

Rage Against The Machine onstage
http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/MoreImages/ParisStudentRiot.jpg

People forget how out of hand the security got...sad...
http://faculty.umf.maine.edu/~walters/web%20104/60s%20kent%20state.gif

And, of course, there was an Outdoor Theatre
http://www.planetware.com/i/photo/aspendos-theater-side-aspgrth1.jpg

DRcube
01-15-2009, 08:03 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

shakermaker113
01-15-2009, 08:13 AM
hahaha. I love the chemical brothers one.

Sonicifyouwantit
01-15-2009, 10:47 AM
main thing that I've noticed over the years is how well they set up the festival grounds each year....it keeps getting better. I'm talking about the environment they've established there. the lighting the artwork...especially the lighting. last year had the best yet. and they light up all the white permanent tents very nicely...paul was right when he said on the coachella movie that the polo fields are a "blank canvas". they can make it look anyway they want. Also I've seen how the music has shifted over the years. in the beginning it was heavier on edm then around 2004 it was heavier on rock...since then they've struck a nice balance between the two.

M Sparks
01-15-2009, 11:24 AM
hahaha. I love the chemical brothers one.

Yeah, that was my favorite. The counter is even the same height as their mixers.

And there's a product on the counter called "Rat Lunches"

SFChrissy
01-15-2009, 11:26 AM
what happened to chad...that was funny!!!

BROKENDOLL
01-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Nice job, MSPARKS!

uniform72
01-15-2009, 12:35 PM
main thing that I've noticed over the years is how well they set up the festival grounds each year....it keeps getting better. I'm talking about the environment they've established there. the lighting the artwork...especially the lighting. last year had the best yet. and they light up all the white permanent tents very nicely...paul was right when he said on the coachella movie that the polo fields are a "blank canvas". they can make it look anyway they want. Also I've seen how the music has shifted over the years. in the beginning it was heavier on edm then around 2004 it was heavier on rock...since then they've struck a nice balance between the two.

Whole-heartedly agree.

Although these days there's never enough traditional house or jungle.

(Did I really just use the term "traditional" in reference to electronic music?)

boarderwoozel3
01-15-2009, 01:11 PM
I wasn't there in '99 but they took out some port-o-shitters from 07-08, not cool. The pooper situation last year was way worse than in 07 and there were less people. WTF?

webfairy
01-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Ok so I have gone to every single Coachella and honestly they have all been set up pretty much the same tho I have to say they get a bit easier each year! A few things that have changed:

1. The first year there were actually little wadding pools (you know the inflatable kind you by for kids) and people were sitting in them all day! It was awesome and kinda gross at the same time. Does anyone else remember that?

2. The first year was in Oct and it was probably the hottest coachella ever.

3. The line to get in was more like a single file line at first and I think it was 2002 when it took me a whole 3 1/2 hours just to get in through the gate.

4. There were no balloons marking the different parking lots and the first year some of the parking areas had NO LIGHTS, talk about hell trying to find your car.

Also the gobi tent was there in 99 then disappeared for a while, then came back! YAY more music!

AbundantChoice
01-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Been going since 2002, so let's see...

- There used to be a "Coachella Film Festival" in a tent, with a bunch of concert and music related films. A decent place to recharge your feet in the cool for a few minutes.

- They used to project these massive slide shows onto the Sahara tent, I don't think they do that anymore, or maybe they've moved it onto the tent-top of the massive beer garden by the main stage? My memory is fuzzy on that...

- Gobi tent showed up in 2003, right? And it's bigger now than it was in the first year, I think the first year it was there is was super-tiny.

- It seems that most days stages start up ~ 1 hour later now that it's three days instead of two. Fine by me, an extra hour of guilt-free sleep is appreciated.

- 2008 brought a whole new entrance area with a clocktower and lockers that also made it MUCH easier to get out at the end of the day (there used to be a horrendous bottleneck at the exit). It's also alot easier to get in now; like Webfairy I was stuck in the entrance line *forever* in 02.

- Now that they do the 10-for-1 bottle recycling, the festival grounds actually stay alot cleaner than they used to.

- This is tiny, but I *loved* when they started lighting up the palm trees that ring the polo fields with various colored lights.

Obviously the big art installations change up every year, which really gives each fest it's own unique identity. Like 2008 had that massive bamboo thing, 2007 had the giant tripod thingy and the geodesic techno dome in the middle of the ground, etc. And at some point the Tesla coil got a twin!

bmack86
01-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Those issues have since been resolved. Lets just say on that day, things were taking me out of the experience and making me question the current state of my life.

Well I'm glad the herpes is in remission and you are no longer male escorting sir. I was worried about you running with that crowd.

ivankay
01-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Well I'm glad the herpes is in remission and you are no longer male escorting sir. I was worried about you running with that crowd.

You getting out first was the shining example i needed. Thanks for the Zovirak.

bmack86
01-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Did I tell you that the Herpecid has been working even better?

menikmati
01-17-2009, 11:16 AM
- Gobi tent showed up in 2003, right? And it's bigger now than it was in the first year, I think the first year it was there is was super-tiny.

Gobi Tent has been there since the beginning (1999), but wasn't used for one or two years in between.

MantisMel
01-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Been going since 2002, so let's see...

- They used to project these massive slide shows onto the Sahara tent, I don't think they do that anymore, or maybe they've moved it onto the tent-top of the massive beer garden by the main stage? My memory is fuzzy on that...

They still do. I remember being all messed up on LSD last year and staring at the tent for a long while.

blackchango
01-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Been going every year since 99! I would have to say 99 and 04 were the hottest temperature wise! The free water was great the first year and there was this company giving away free white terry clothe kangol type hats for free if you signed up for their maling list.You had to wait in line in a mist tent and when they handed it to you they would fill it up with ice.

ivankay
01-17-2009, 05:25 PM
i still wear my white terry cloth hat. Artistdirect passed them out. They are great for soaking in water and walking around with on those super hot days.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/25/l_9d65c76fdeda4c5fb8798364cc808b0c.jpg

Wearing the hat in 2004.

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/IMG_2081_me_and_glen_at_Coachella_2008--large-msg-120975108125.jpg

Wearing the hat in 2008.

blackchango
01-17-2009, 07:35 PM
i still wear my white terry cloth hat. Artistdirect passed them out. They are great for soaking in water and walking around with on those super hot days.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/25/l_9d65c76fdeda4c5fb8798364cc808b0c.jpg

Wearing the hat in 2004.

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/IMG_2081_me_and_glen_at_Coachella_2008--large-msg-120975108125.jpg

Wearing the hat in 2008.
Nice momento to hold on to after all these years!Who knows what happened to mine,I had collected a bunch over the weekend too. As that a control factory t-shirt your sporting in that o8 picture?

ivankay
01-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Wow. Someone recognized the Kontrol Factory shirt. You are the first in years to say what is was from. You get many old skool points. Jon Mark gave it to me himself.

blackchango
01-17-2009, 07:52 PM
John Mark? Crazy man! Control factory,Helter skelter,Cinematic, all goth/industrial clubs I used to hit up back in the day.There was also that other one at peanuts on Saturdays. My wife and I cant remember what it was called. Perversion? Any how way off topic. Thanks for the bit of nostalgia homes!

ivankay
01-17-2009, 07:57 PM
No. Thank you.

webfairy
01-18-2009, 09:46 PM
OMG Kontrol Factory!!!!!! I miss that club! Perversion was (and still is) on Thursday nights at a club that used be called the world now called the ruby. I think you are thinking of Stigmata which if I can remember back that far was on Saturday nights! Man used go out like 4 nights a week. Good Times!

ZackQ
01-19-2009, 06:50 AM

Damn, back in the day had far more hip hop.

Carnie100
01-19-2009, 10:49 AM
My pics from Coachella 99- it hasn't changed much.

People forget how out of hand the security got...sad...
http://faculty.umf.maine.edu/~walters/web%20104/60s%20kent%20state.gif

Love the Kent State picture... hahaha.

WillyWonka5497
01-19-2009, 11:16 AM

that guy trancehiphop is hilariously douchey.

poor kid. hahahahha

siceland
01-30-2009, 01:07 PM
I miss going

Coachella used to have a lot less people & on Sundays you could usually see some hippy families w/ their little kids there.

I have to say I stopped going 2 years ago after I just couldn't handle the hordes of people.

Trying to decide if its worth braving the masses this year -- the line up makes me want to.

losangelian
01-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Yeah, been going since '99 and the biggest difference is the amount of people. Early on it was this great secret that not too many people knew about, but by '07 (I think), Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton showed up. I have to be honest, that almost ruined it for me.

fatbastard
11-26-2011, 05:35 AM
No more film festival, those couches were plush

Parking is a longer walk

Lots more people there to be at Coachella versus being there for the music

Sahara tent shifted

Size of the main stage is bigger

Grass used to remain impeccable for 2 days

No more watery messes in the bathroom areas

There are 2 food court areas

Phone charging area no longer has PCs or freezing AC to cool down from the sun

The vibe has changed from being visitors in a far off remote town to walking into a portable city that is reminisint of the grove or hollywood and highland

Phone reception!

People who used to express their individuality in clothing and costumes compared to people dressed in 3-4 basic "Coachella looks"

Elimination of feedback from other stages

From hardly any trash to volunteers who seem to walk around all 3 days picking up trash night and day and still cannot keep up with it

A festival that you used to have to spent 15-20 minutes to describe and now people who have never gone go into great detail that is not even close in describing the actual event

Churros, frozen lemonade, and spicy pie have been there awhile now

That fucking robot

Suffacated
11-26-2011, 07:49 AM
Changes :
Board nerds... I never imagined that something like music could be dissected, inspected, viewed as if it were under an electron microscope, graded and finally ranked. Thank goodness for the board music nerds. If not for them, people may end up listening to hipster music.

Increase in board hypocrites: It's seems like its so easy for the board music nerds to talk smack while hiding behind a computer screen. Come Coachella time, these board music nerds become experts in the art of ass kissing.

Coachella posers: pics or it didn't happen.

Coachella herds: Flocks of sheep everywhere.

Evolving Coachella. As time goes on the word gets out. More people mean longer walks for those parking. More people also means more scam artists, fence jumpers and gate crashers. Sure Coachella has come a long way since 1999. Who would have thought 12 years ago that Coachella would become as big as it is now?

artisticcreator
01-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Everything Bad!

JC2011
01-18-2012, 09:59 PM

Finally:

So to summarize:

^^^THIS.

LMAO! What a joke that guy was.

Goatchella
01-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Coachella has cancer. It's dying slowly.
So live each show like its your last. Dont hold back.