PDA

View Full Version : THE SMITHS: COACHELLA 09 REUNION ARTICLE READ THIS AND DISCUSS

scoop49er
10-23-2008, 02:03 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article1849030.ece

fatbastard
10-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Bad news: The report is from The Sun. Good news: The possiblilty of a reunion.

mattpach
10-23-2008, 02:13 PM
I would die happy if they played.

Even though they won't.

scoop49er
10-23-2008, 02:18 PM
but u gotta admit,,, it does get the hopes up just a lil bit......lil bit..... :)

mattpach
10-23-2008, 02:22 PM
True

We can hope and wish

fatbastard
10-23-2008, 02:23 PM
a lil bit......lil bit......

http://biografie.leonardo.it/img/bio/r/Robert_De_Niro.jpg

PassiveTheory
10-23-2008, 02:24 PM
This doesn't get my hope up at all. Not until Moz himself starts dropping cryptic hints in the papers.

TonyWonder
10-23-2008, 02:25 PM
i'm sorry, was there something on that page other than a link to "Danielle's saucy classroom strip"?

oh yeah..GV should offer them the same amount they did in 06 and not a penny more..otherwise spend it on Bowie..:)

scoop49er
10-23-2008, 02:30 PM
a lil bit......lil bit......

http://biografie.leonardo.it/img/bio/r/Robert_De_Niro.jpg

exactly what i was thinking!!!!!!! lmao!!

bobert
10-23-2008, 02:41 PM
“I’d rather eat my own testicles than reform The Smiths — and that’s saying something coming from a vegetarian.” - Morrissey

That's got to be one of the greatest quotes in the history of rock. If the Smiths do play in '09, some of the vendors need to jump on that ASAP. I could see it now: Steven Morrisey's Vegan Testicle Platter - made with grilled egg-shaped pieces of tempe and smothered in a delightful white sauce. YUMMY!!!!!

zenidogx
10-23-2008, 02:46 PM
hmm . . . i never really liked the Smiths. just couldnt get into them. and for some reason Girlfriend in a Coma has been stuck in my head. i may have to reconsider the Smiths.

amyzzz
10-23-2008, 02:48 PM
*sigh*

fatbastard
10-23-2008, 02:50 PM
“I’d rather eat my own testicles than reform The Smiths — and that’s saying something coming from a vegetarian.” - Morrissey

That's got to be one of the greatest quotes in the history of rock. If the Smiths do play in '09, some of the vendors need to jump on that ASAP. I could see it now: Steven Morrisey's Vegan Testicle Platter - made with grilled egg-shaped pieces of tempe and smothered in a delightful white sauce. YUMMY!!!!!

It's a quote in the tune of him, that's for sure.

Uh...that's a bad image (your meal) and this is coming from a guy who will eat almost anything.

Now mention bratwurst with aioli white mustard with a bush of saffron on one end of it, then your talking. That's a lot less ghey sounding than your concoction (but not much).

blobby1
10-23-2008, 03:02 PM
If it were between the Smiths and Bowie, I would hope that GV wouldn't let me down and that they would go with Bowie. There just isn't enough rock in the Smiths for me.

captncrzy
10-23-2008, 03:07 PM
I won't believe it until it shows up in a legit paper.

hendrixfan143
10-23-2008, 03:11 PM
id pay 8 mill for them. fuck led zeppelin, they suck anyways

captncrzy
10-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Someone harass the author for the source info. Whoever harassed Bronson last year about Prince should do it.

shakermaker113
10-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Newsflash: The Sun have learned how gullible we are and are now fucking with us.

Stop posting that shit. PLEASE.

bobert
10-23-2008, 03:18 PM
It's a quote in the tune of him, that's for sure.

Uh...that's a bad image (your meal) and this is coming from a guy who will eat almost anything.

Now mention bratwurst with aioli white mustard with a bush of saffron on one end of it, then your talking. That's a lot less ghey sounding than your concoction (but not much).

Yeah, but your meal's not in the tune of Morrissey. Perhaps my recipe would be more appropriate for the backstage caterers than the vendors. That way Morrissey could eat his own balls (symbolically) without having to castrate himself (although it would help him hit those high notes.)

On another note, if by some miracle The Smiths do play, I think Modest Mouse would be recquired booking. That way Johnny Marr would be pulling double duties and could cause some really hilarious spatting between two very tempermental front-men.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-23-2008, 03:25 PM
If this comes true then I am fucking Psychic. I had a dream last year of hearing Darkside of the Moon on the polo fields and then look what happen. Later, I had dream of seeing the Smiths at Coachella and they opened with How Soon Is Now? and closed with There Is A Light And It Never Goes Out.

captncrzy
10-23-2008, 03:30 PM
I just checked a couple of Morrissey fan sites, and neither of them have picked up on this article. No one in the forum on morrissey-solo even posted it.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-23-2008, 03:31 PM
when was this article posted?

emtgreg
10-23-2008, 03:34 PM
I just checked a couple of Morrissey fan sites, and neither of them have picked up on this article. No one in the forum on morrissey-solo even posted it.

true

although, most people understand that EVERYTHING the sun says is a lie...

bastards...

if i wanted to be teased like this, id go watch Pirates...

zenidogx
10-23-2008, 03:37 PM
If this comes true then I am fucking Psychic

oh boy . . .

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-23-2008, 03:38 PM
oh boy . . .

Why you say that?

zenidogx
10-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Why you say that?

you said you'd fuck Psychic.
so, she's more than a friend?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-23-2008, 03:45 PM
hmmmm....I wasn't aware that could be taken out of context. But um no.

mvanwinkle
10-23-2008, 04:04 PM
you said you'd fuck Psychic.
so, she's more than a friend?

psychic friend with benefits.
what a slut

shakermaker113
10-23-2008, 05:07 PM

maybe they're not as gullible as we are.

btw, they found a manigator (http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/mutants/manigator-spotted-on-georgia-beach/#more-3505) on georgia beach:

http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/manigatorbeer.jpg

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-23-2008, 05:16 PM
that thing is freaky.

woogie846
10-23-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm not a big Smiths fan, but I'd still be happy for everyone who loves them.

shakermaker113
10-23-2008, 05:43 PM
that thing is freaky.

yup. I mean, it drinks PBR. total freak.

captncrzy
10-23-2008, 06:01 PM
maybe they're not as gullible as we are.

btw, they found a manigator (http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/mutants/manigator-spotted-on-georgia-beach/#more-3505) on georgia beach:

http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/manigatorbeer.jpg

That thing really has shitty taste in beer

Trick Loves The Kids
10-23-2008, 06:28 PM
fat chance, nerds

rage patton
10-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Trick, your absense on this board has been noticed. Will you start posting more when the line up rolls around?

amyzzz
10-24-2008, 01:57 AM
*sigh*

bingo_caller
10-24-2008, 03:50 AM
Let's hope this isnt true. The smiths are yawnful!

amy2705
10-24-2008, 04:17 AM
The Sun is a shitty paper but if they were going to try and fool the public into thinking they were reuniting then surely it would be for Glasto as the percentage of people that live over here have no idea that Coachella exists

clarky123
10-24-2008, 04:17 AM
I usually buy this newspaper for the titties, but this is starting to look plausible. Great.

fatbastard
10-24-2008, 05:11 AM
fat chance, nerds

The Smiths are for kids.

Backwater
10-24-2008, 05:14 AM
"the smiths" are officially the worst band in the history of the world. Good Charlotte are so much better than them. Limp Bizkit though, just may take the cake.

fatbastard
10-24-2008, 05:16 AM
Speaking of Cheerios. Good morning.

betao
10-24-2008, 07:33 AM
...and it appears that our party is over.

http://www.nme.com/news/the-smiths/40643

No reunion.

Sources close to band members say there's no chance of reunion

* Oct 24, 2008
* 0 Comments
* The Smiths news, reviews, video and tour dates
* Add The Smiths to MyNME

The Smiths are not set to reunite despite reports, NME.COM understands.

Sources close to both members of the band and Coachella have denied that there has been any new move to reunite the group for next year's festival.

A British newspaper had claimed The Smiths were considering burying the hatchet for next year's event.

Morrissey has previously claimed he was offered a near £40 million for just him and Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr to reunite for the Californian event in 2006.

A new double-CD compilation spanning the band's career, 'The Sound Of The Smiths', is released on November 10.

microlovebeat
10-24-2008, 07:39 AM
or course their management is going to deny everything you twat. do you not rememeber Prince himself denying that he was playing?

betao
10-24-2008, 07:50 AM
or course their management is going to deny everything you twat. do you not rememeber Prince himself denying that he was playing?

Better than you do, because the article that said Prince wasn't playing said "nothing had been confirmed yet". It didn't state he was not going to play - it said he was not confirmed to play.

This article flat out says they are not going to reunite.

SFChrissy
10-24-2008, 07:52 AM
all these threads are making me dizzy...I had to throw the smiths on for sentimental value...

microlovebeat
10-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Better than you do, because the article that said Prince wasn't playing said "nothing had been confirmed yet". It didn't state he was not going to play - it said he was not confirmed to play.

This article flat out says they are not going to reunite.

not confirmed as playing = not going to be there/not reuniting/might be there/whatever fucking else it might say. the lingo all means the same thing my friend.

betao
10-24-2008, 08:11 AM
No I really don't think it does. "Not confirmed" means that the deal is in the process of being made and things are possible.

"Not going to be there" means...well, it means not going to be there.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-24-2008, 08:31 AM
I would have to agree...especially after the Prince fiasco this year...I won't believe the "We ain't playing" until the day of the festival. Of course both the Smiths management and those at Coachella would keep things hush hush...because then what is the surprise? I mean given how huge of a reunion the Smiths would be it is going to be hard to keep it underwraps until then...

shakermaker113
10-24-2008, 08:33 AM
not confirmed as playing = not going to be there/not reuniting/might be there/whatever fucking else it might say. the lingo all means the same thing my friend.

no it doesn't.

microlovebeat
10-24-2008, 08:48 AM
no it doesn't.

crawl back into your mother's vaginal canal.

microlovebeat
10-24-2008, 08:55 AM
you people go through this EVERY fucking year!

shakermaker: i'm a high brow indie douchebag that smokes Kamel Reds because my other high brow indie douchebag friends do too. WHAT?! PRINCE?! no fucking way in hell!!!!!!!! is he confirmed? no?! has he denied that he's going to be there?!?!?!?! YES?!?!? then he's not going to be there and my post is the be all end all because one time at this concert, Tim Kasher graced my crotch accidentally.

sound familiar you fucking worthless piece of shit?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-24-2008, 08:57 AM
christ, micro no need to be so harsh....kind of funny though.

PassiveTheory
10-24-2008, 09:01 AM
"the smiths" are officially the worst band in the history of the world. Good Charlotte are so much better than them. Limp Bizkit though, just may take the cake.

Don't you have some glue to go snort behind the neighborhood Walmart before skipping off with the rest of your failed-abortion metal head friends into a goddamn woodchipper and saving us all the trouble of fucking existing? No? Well, why don't you go get a head start?

Back on topic, we already know this shit isn't going to happen, and I wish the British papers would just shut the fuck up already or, more importantly, goddamn idiots wouldn't freak out at the sign of ONE fucking article.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-24-2008, 09:04 AM

I think these guys would beg to differ.

yjnGESlRNXk

chairmenmeow47
10-24-2008, 09:04 AM
JUST GET OVER YOUR FUCKING SELVES AND PLAY CHARMING MAN AND HAND IN GLOVE LIVE IN THE DESERT FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(as i stated in the other thread)

orbit
10-24-2008, 09:05 AM
mbv denied they would be playing. they didnt play.

bowie denied he would be playing. he didn't play.

prince never denied it. it was goldenvoice that deny a confirmation, which could've been because they were still in conversations.

and now, both band members' managers and coachella say there aren't even conversations about this.

PassiveTheory
10-24-2008, 09:06 AM
While you're shouting at Moz and company over the internet, Ivy, mind asking them to play What Difference Does It Make? and What She Said?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-24-2008, 09:07 AM
weird..I am listening to What She Said? right now.

microlovebeat
10-24-2008, 09:09 AM
anyone who says thom yorke doesn't eat mushrooms doesn't know what they're talking about

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-24-2008, 09:09 AM
mbv denied they would be playing. they didnt play.

bowie denied he would be playing. he didn't play.

prince never denied it. it was goldenvoice that deny a confirmation, which could've been because they were still in conversations.

and now, both band members' managers and coachella say there aren't even conversations about this.

everyone needs to chillax and just have fun with this. We go through this every year and this is what makes the board fun. Yeah, I take everything with a pinch of salt. Even if a band is confirmed since I have been burned in the past as well (Aphex in 2001 and FSOL in 2004).

on a side note. Orbit, I wasn't aware of your disdain of the smiths. Is is because of the hubbub in the threads or do you truly dislike the music?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-24-2008, 09:14 AM
anyone who says thom yorke doesn't eat mushrooms doesn't know what they're talking about

of course he does. He's a vegan.

Coachella Bound
10-24-2008, 09:17 AM
I would have to agree...especially after the Prince fiasco this year...I won't believe the "We ain't playing" until the day of the festival. Of course both the Smiths management and those at Coachella would keep things hush hush...because then what is the surprise? I mean given how huge of a reunion the Smiths would be it is going to be hard to keep it underwraps until then...

Agreed!

Even if everyone knew they were playing, id see Golden Voice/COACHELLA/The Smiths all denying it untill the last minute....

And didnt the Prince article say something to the effect of "its the purple one, expect the unexpected."

garrett222
10-24-2008, 09:27 AM
i hope the prodigy plays the same time as the smiths.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-24-2008, 09:31 AM
sounds great to me. And I hope MBV plays the same time as the Killers to completely drown them out.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-24-2008, 09:38 AM
yeah it was posted already Blackswan and this was my response.

BlackSwan
10-24-2008, 09:40 AM
i didn't see it, sorry.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-24-2008, 09:40 AM
no worries kind sir.

garrett222
10-24-2008, 09:41 AM
sounds great to me. And I hope MBV plays the same time as the Killers to completely drown them out.

i'd be at the MBV show anyway. love those guys.

BlackSwan
ahh now i see it. poof... now it's like it never happened.

PassiveTheory
You gotta have an equivalent number of articles denying it as you have confirming it, just to confuse the hell out of everybody, so no harm done.

amyzzz
10-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Prodigy can't play during The Smiths or I'll miss them again.

Smiths >>>>>>>>>>> everyone else

since I've never seen them live and it'd be a big reunion. I won't believe it until GV posts the lineup OR Morrissey and Marr confirm it.

vinylmartyr
10-24-2008, 09:53 AM
The Smiths definitely not reuniting for Coachella 2009
The Smiths outside the Salford Lads Club 1985 Stephen Wright,www.smithsphotos.com

The Smiths outside the Salford Lads Club 1985 Stephen Wright,www.smithsphotos.com

Sources close to band members say there's no chance of reunion

* Oct 24, 2008
* 7 Comments
* The Smiths news, reviews, video and tour dates
* Add The Smiths to MyNME

The Smiths are not set to reunite despite reports, NME.COM understands.

Sources close to both members of the band and Coachella have denied that there has been any new move to reunite the group for next year's festival.

A British newspaper had claimed The Smiths were considering burying the hatchet for next year's event.

Meanwhile, the group's guitarist Johnny Marr's manager dismissed the story, telling our sister title Uncut that the Smiths reunion rumours were \"rubbish\".

Morrissey has previously claimed he was offered a near £40 million for just him and Smiths guitarist Marr to reunite for the Californian event in 2006.

A new double-CD compilation spanning the band's career, 'The Sound Of The Smiths', is released on November 10.

WOW 40 MILLION POUNDS!! Paul must really want them bad!!!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-24-2008, 09:55 AM
no, again this being nme that amount is wrong. Paul T offered 5 mil and someone else later offered them the 40 mil for a world tour.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Prodigy can't play during The Smiths or I'll miss them again.

Smiths >>>>>>>>>>> everyone else

since I've never seen them live and it'd be a big reunion. I won't believe it until GV posts the lineup OR Morrissey and Marr confirm it.

Word.

shakermaker113
10-24-2008, 06:24 PM
you people go through this EVERY fucking year!

shakermaker: i'm a high brow indie douchebag that smokes Kamel Reds because my other high brow indie douchebag friends do too. WHAT?! PRINCE?! no fucking way in hell!!!!!!!! is he confirmed? no?! has he denied that he's going to be there?!?!?!?! YES?!?!? then he's not going to be there and my post is the be all end all because one time at this concert, Tim Kasher graced my crotch accidentally.

sound familiar you fucking worthless piece of shit?

lol. actually no, that doesn't sound familiar at all. I didn't even hear Prince rumors until it was confirmed. so fuck off.

summerkid
10-24-2008, 06:39 PM
lol. actually no, that doesn't sound familiar at all. I didn't even hear Prince rumors until it was confirmed. so fuck off.

he was rumored from the start.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2008/01/21/coachella-2008-roger-waters-no-prince/

betao
10-24-2008, 06:46 PM

I think that at the time that article was written, that was the exact case: he wasn't going to play.

Backwater
10-24-2008, 06:47 PM
The Smiths are the worst band in the world.

summerkid
10-24-2008, 06:54 PM
I think that at the time that article was written, that was the exact case: he wasn't going to play.

right, but he ended up playing. Point being things change and this is Coachella anything is possible. I don't think they are reuniting though just playing devil's advocate.

sbessiso
10-24-2008, 08:36 PM
The Smiths are the worst band in the world.

uhhhh, no.

orbit
10-24-2008, 08:42 PM

the article in cos isn't the same as it was the day it was written (jan 21). it links to the la blog website, so what it shows now about prince should've been added around march when the rumor started.

i don't remember any rumor from the start. everything was more like a wish than anything else. like we do every year with bowie.

summerkid
10-24-2008, 09:10 PM
huh? here's the article from the LA Times from jan 21st

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/buzzbands/2008/01/coachella-the-i.html

sbessiso
10-24-2008, 09:50 PM
The Smiths would be ahfuckingmazing. So magical. I want them and Bowie (and Beck! duh)

orbit
10-24-2008, 10:12 PM
huh? here's the article from the LA Times from jan 21st

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/buzzbands/2008/01/coachella-the-i.html

yeah, just googled the la times article and found that. my bad.

lostsoul86
10-24-2008, 10:20 PM
who ?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2008, 12:13 PM
i'd be at the MBV show anyway. love those guys.

Garrett, I'm sorry. I was under the impression that you didn't like The Smiths and wanted Prodigy to play at the same time so you had something to watch.

Coachella Bound
10-25-2008, 12:26 PM
The Smiths would be ahfuckingmazing. So magical. I want them and Bowie (and Beck! duh)

What if it came down to it and Paul had to choose between Bowie or the Smiths, oh dear god.......

I'D TAKE BOWIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beck's in regardless, thats a given.........

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Christ Paul T don't make us choose....

but i'll take The Smiths

PJandBompton
10-25-2008, 01:00 PM
did they really get offered 63 fucking million in '06???

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2008, 01:04 PM
damn rumors. No they were offered 5 million by Goldenvoice to reunite at Coach 06. They were later offered 40 mil pounds by someone in Europe for a world tour. But that still pales in comparison to the 1 bil that someone offered ABBA.

LooseAtTheZoo
10-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Would Paul T. offer them more money than he gave to Prince for a one-off gig?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2008, 01:06 PM
most likely.

Boourns
10-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Prince was paid over $2 million. Moz has claimed he was offered $5 million already.

betao
10-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Would Paul T. offer them more money than he gave to Prince for a one-off gig?

depends on what kind of budget they have to work with this year.

I can't imagine them making a big profit from the 2008 festival.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2008, 02:10 PM
I can't imagine them making a huge profit in 2008 (compared to 2007 of course) but don't fool yourself they still made a profit. The 1st Coachella to make a profit was 2002 and that was much smaller then 2007 or 2008 (Pretty much anything from 2003 on). If they can book a gtd sell out act like the Smiths then it sells itself. They can even go a little further and lower ticket prices and raise the cap on attendance to make up for perhaps a smaller profit on concessions.

amyzzz
10-25-2008, 10:21 PM
I'd take The Smiths over Bowie because I've already seen Bowie live. I HAVE NOT SEEN THE SMITHS.

sbessiso
10-26-2008, 06:51 PM
i will die during "hand in glove"/"girlfriend in a coma"

Alchemy
10-26-2008, 07:42 PM
The Smiths boat has sailed. Paul T. should start sending some money over to the Talking Heads.

LooseAtTheZoo
10-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Prince was paid over $2 million. Moz has claimed he was offered $5 million already.

I'm out of it. I thought Prince had been offered the 4.8 mil. Still, I don't think the Smiths are as big a draw as Prince. They wouldn't make money

apostle2
10-26-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm out of it. I thought Prince had been offered the 4.8 mil. Still, I don't think the Smiths are as big a draw as Prince. They wouldn't make money

Smiths = immediate sell out, beyond any shadow of a doubt.

zenidogx
10-26-2008, 08:27 PM
damn rumors. No they were offered 5 million by Goldenvoice to reunite at Coach 06. They were later offered 40 mil pounds by someone in Europe for a world tour. But that still pales in comparison to the 1 bil that someone offered ABBA.

that all pales to the 3000 Lorne offered the Beatles

pancakespancakes
10-26-2008, 08:29 PM

Hahahahaha oh my god you just painted such a beautiful image for me... I seriously had been getting the slightest of fears of the Killers as a headliner... but this, THIS on the outdoor theatre would be the most wonderful thing in Coachella history. All of the Killers fans turning their heads eastward, "wahhh?!?"

scoop49er
10-28-2008, 06:00 AM
its funny how they were so quick to deny the rumor.. answer: they are talking about it. anyone remember the prince "absolutely not playing" story from last year? any major act that is in negotiations has to deny quickly and squash so it does not destroy the deal. its not a guarantee they will, but its out there......

sbessiso
10-28-2008, 06:05 AM
I'm listening to "The Singles" right now. I cant fucking wait to see them

fatbastard
10-28-2008, 06:25 AM
My money is on the coincidence with the release of a reissue and the discussion of a reunion. In most cases with other groups, there would be a possibility. In this case, it appears more advertising for the new reissue.

Salad, your going to have to wait on that Beck and Morrissey sandwich.

sbessiso
10-28-2008, 06:27 AM
mmm listening to Beck at the moment too.

shakermaker113
10-28-2008, 08:26 AM
its funny how they were so quick to deny the rumor.. answer: they are talking about it. anyone remember the prince "absolutely not playing" story from last year? any major act that is in negotiations has to deny quickly and squash so it does not destroy the deal. its not a guarantee they will, but its out there......

so basically it doesn't matter what the band say, we will still find a way to make it seem possible.

you're right, there are cases where they have to keep things quiet. I remember one year Metallica were a surprise guest at the download festival in the uk. even on the morning of the festival the promoters were denying the rumors saying that they'd love Metallica to play, but it absolutely wasn't happening. then it happened. (article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/2954682.stm)

so yes it's always possible, regardless of what rumors are squashed. but the only fuel for this fire has been an article from the sun. for fuck's sake people, that is really sad.

BlackSwan
12-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Smiths Reunion Possible
After 20 years of estrangement, Morrissey and guitarist Johnny Marr are reportedly back on good terms.

Things we'll see in 2009: The first-ever African-American president, Kylie Minogue going Bollywood, a lack of Chinese Democracy release speculation -- and perhaps most unbelievably -- a Smiths reunion?

The UK's Daily Mirror newspaper is reporting that guitarist Johnny Marr and mopey frontman Morrissey have officially made amends after 20 years of estrangement, and are now regularly in touch, fueling speculation that a Smiths reunion could be a real possibility.

The paper quoted a source as saying, "The very fact that they are talking again is the most hopeful thing in years. A lot of people think of them as the best thing since the Beatles. They'd fill stadiums many times over." [Via Gigwise.com]

Please, please, please let pompadour-coiffed Smiths fans everywhere get what they want this time.

Surprised 17 threads haven't been started about this new article yet.

chairmenmeow47
12-11-2008, 02:23 PM
there's already discussion in another thread :)

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Hahahahaha oh my god you just painted such a beautiful image for me... I seriously had been getting the slightest of fears of the Killers as a headliner... but this, THIS on the outdoor theatre would be the most wonderful thing in Coachella history. All of the Killers fans turning their heads eastward, "wahhh?!?"

Holy Hell!! I still hope this happens!! MBV AGAINST THE KILLERS FOR 2009!!!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-11-2008, 03:17 PM

srsly. I posted this one and 2 more in the line up rumors thread.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-11-2008, 03:19 PM

That 4.8 was from Perez Hilton. The 2 mil figure came from forbes magazine...so I believe the business mag over the gossip website..

luke79
12-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I personally offered Morrissey 4 Million pesos to explain his allure to the Latino community. Even "Ask A Mexican" cant explain that one. I say get the Jesus Lizard and the Replacements

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-11-2008, 03:50 PM
I don't understand it luke. I am hispanic and I didn't know of his draw with hispanics until went to his show...it was very odd...another oddity..people who love death metal tend to love The Smiths/Morrissey...

zenidogx
12-11-2008, 04:05 PM
i found this interesting article by Gustavo Arellano from a while back:
http://www.ocweekly.com/2002-09-19/features/their-charming-man/1

nationocean
12-11-2008, 04:23 PM
01010100011010000110010100100000010100110110110101 10100101110100011010000111001100100000011101110110 10010110110001101100001000000111000001101100011000 01011110010010000001000011011011110110000101100011 011010000110010101101100011011000110000100101110

PassiveTheory
12-11-2008, 04:27 PM
I don't understand it luke. I am hispanic and I didn't know of his draw with hispanics until went to his show...it was very odd...another oddity..people who love death metal tend to love The Smiths/Morrissey...

Read the Chuck Klosterman essay about it. It sorta makes sense. Moz's rockabilly influence (namely on Your Arsenal) and aesthetic serves as a replacement for Richie Valens and co. from the rockabilly era. And they stretch it a little to imply that Morrissey's Irish-to-English immigration tale is similar to many young latinos' Mexico-to-America immigration stories. By they I mean the people that Chuck cites, not Chuck himself.

EDIT: Salah, I'm going to make you an awesome Smiths mixtape.

mschirmersf
12-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Spin magazine covered it too. Morrissey has reconciled with all the band members. The reunion is a very, very strong possibility. The deal is very close to being signed as we speak.

http://spin.com/articles/smiths-reunite-yes-no-maybe

shakermaker113
12-11-2008, 05:40 PM

it didn't come from the sun, so nobody really believes it.

shakermaker113
12-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Spin magazine covered it too. Morrissey has reconciled with all the band members. The reunion is a very, very strong possibility. The deal is very close to being signed as we speak.

http://spin.com/articles/smiths-reunite-yes-no-maybe

also, that's from october. that wave of rumors was already squashed. this is an entirely new set of rumors we're talking about now. (at least, I think it is?)

Boourns
12-11-2008, 05:58 PM
I know rumors surface every year for the Smiths, but I can't recall seeing this many in such a short period of time.

Grant
12-11-2008, 06:02 PM
This is exciting. I'll try not to get my hopes up... Where's Dani when you need her?

stephen22
12-11-2008, 06:10 PM

was it 5 million for The Smiths? or was it 5 Million just for Morrissey and Marr. I know Moz and Marr for 5 million sounds kinda iffy....but it seems like I remember reading that Moz said he was offered the money to at least reunite with Marr.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-11-2008, 06:28 PM
also, that's from october. that wave of rumors was already squashed. this is an entirely new set of rumors we're talking about now. (at least, I think it is?)

These are new rumors sir. All the articles are posted in the main rumor/line up thread. Including a billboard/no comment article when Morrissey was asked about it at his recent London show..

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-11-2008, 06:28 PM
was it 5 million for The Smiths? or was it 5 Million just for Morrissey and Marr. I know Moz and Marr for 5 million sounds kinda iffy....but it seems like I remember reading that Moz said he was offered the money to at least reunite with Marr.

that was never specified actually...

shakermaker113
12-11-2008, 06:46 PM
These are new rumors sir. All the articles are posted in the main rumor/line up thread. Including a billboard/no comment article when Morrissey was asked about it at his recent London show..

yes I am aware, but misermrschsf or whatever his name is posted an article from october amid all the new rumors.

mschirmersf
12-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Article from TODAY:
http://www.andhranews.net/Entertainment/2008/December/11-Morrissey-Johnny-Marr-78441.asp

But then I did a little more digging and came up with this...
http://www.nme.com/news/the-smiths/40643

The story about them in dealings with Golden Voice I think(unfortunately) is a load of crap. Time will reveal.

These rumors have been surfacing every year, but so did Portishead for a few years and they finally showed up. So anything can happen. It's Coachella! Did we EVER thing in a MILLION years that Madonna would show up? Stranger things have happened.

summerkid
12-11-2008, 08:37 PM
God NME is such a fucking rag. That article is incorrect. The Smiths were offered 5 million dollars to reunite at Coachella in 2006 they were offered $40 million pounds to do a tour with just Moz and Marr under the Smiths name, but turned it down. Not 40 million pounds to do that at coachella.

PassiveTheory
12-11-2008, 08:54 PM
I really don't see this happening. I know the inconspicuous no-commenting is usually indicative of hiding the truth, but with a new album and tour, I don't think they'll do it.

Also, why at Coachella and not somewhere more significant/familiar to the Smiths? Why not Manchester or Glastonbury? Even with money factored into it it doesn't make much sense (don't tell me Glasto couldn't afford the Smiths, that's ridiculous).

summerkid
12-11-2008, 08:55 PM
actually i think Glasto pays headliners less because its privately run.

orbit
12-11-2008, 09:04 PM
eavis said he pays glastonbury headliners around 200k pounds.

rage patton
12-11-2008, 09:30 PM
The Smiths have a good chance of playing this year people. I wouldn't say 100%... just very likely.

orbit
12-11-2008, 09:48 PM
well, mbv were extremely likely this year.

don't lose hope though. if the smiths don't play next year, they will be even more likely for 2010. and so on.

betao
12-11-2008, 10:17 PM
MBV started out as likely, but at least they were slowly debunked with time, so when the lineup came out, there wasn't alot of "WTF?! No MBV?!"

humanoid
12-11-2008, 11:00 PM
I really don't see this happening. I know the inconspicuous no-commenting is usually indicative of hiding the truth, but with a new album and tour, I don't think they'll do it.

Also, why at Coachella and not somewhere more significant/familiar to the Smiths? Why not Manchester or Glastonbury? Even with money factored into it it doesn't make much sense (don't tell me Glasto couldn't afford the Smiths, that's ridiculous).

I agree that I could see it making more sense for them to reunite at a UK festival...I'd like to be wrong about this though

pancakespancakes
12-11-2008, 11:44 PM
If this is relevant at all, which is probably not, I'm 100 times more an MBV fan than a Smiths fan, and I would completely prefer the Smiths at Coachella. MBV were made to be seen at the Santa Monica Civic Theatre, not the Coachella mainstage. I always thought that was why they never did it. Had nothing to do with the dealings, they were obviously both musically prepared by April and had comfortable relations with GV. But I think Shields didn't like the idea of performing on this huge outdoor stage in the desert for their comeback. ATP was much more their style.

In any event, The Smiths don't suffer this musical drawback. Sooo... that shouldn't come into play, and it's also off my chest :)

pancakespancakes
12-11-2008, 11:47 PM
I agree that I could see it making more sense for them to reunite at a UK festival...I'd like to be wrong about this though

I don't know, I would think this if it wasn't for Coachella's history. They've done it with other British acts. And even then, The Smiths could play a couple semi-low-key late-announcement dates in the UK before they come to Coachella. In fact that seems like the most likely scenario if this was indeed to go down.

dubvulture
12-12-2008, 12:43 AM
imagine the mayhem if they had a pre coachella glass house gig

Xenocide
12-12-2008, 12:47 AM
i would be down with a short Morrissey set followed by Moz & Marr doing a Smiths set..

PierogiHead
12-12-2008, 04:21 AM
I don't know, I would think this if it wasn't for Coachella's history. They've done it with other British acts. And even then, The Smiths could play a couple semi-low-key late-announcement dates in the UK before they come to Coachella. In fact that seems like the most likely scenario if this was indeed to go down.

That is actually the least likely scenario to how it would down. Morrissey is touring the U.S. by himself in the months of March and April, so that makes it pretty much impossible for them to play any warm-up gigs anywhere, nevermind the UK.

I agree with this, and am glad to hear someone else isn't being dillusional and jaded by the heresay. Why would The Smiths reunite in the country that did not even give birth to them, and above all, for a one-off gig? Would they really force their long-time fans from all over the world to fly thousands of miles, pay thousands of dollars, or else never get this chance again? I don't really think a reunion is necessary if these are the circumstances, as I prefer the The Smiths being an unobtainable myth in music history. Don't do this without the full band either, guys.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-12-2008, 05:24 AM
WTF? You guys.....are funny...Why did DAFT PUNK play the Pyramid at Coachella as opposed to..oh I don't know PARIS!! In 2005 Why would Coldplay start they new album tour in the US as opposed to England? The argument is flawed in that respect. Maybe, Paul T just asked really really nice (and had been asking since 1999...for those who forget Both Marr and Moz were at that Coachella and the rumors were started then about a Smiths reunion) and didn't offer wads of money...since you know Marr and Morrissey would be insulted by that. And you guys forget....LA is Moz's adopted home...

PierogiHead
12-12-2008, 05:36 AM
WTF? You guys.....are funny...Why did DAFT PUNK play the Pyramid at Coachella as opposed to..oh I don't know PARIS!! In 2005 Why would Coldplay start they new album tour in the US as opposed to England? The argument is flawed in that respect. Maybe, Paul T just asked really really nice (and had been asking since 1999...for those who forget Both Marr and Moz were at that Coachella and the rumors were started then about a Smiths reunion) and didn't offer wads of money...since you know Marr and Morrissey would be insulted by that. And you guys forget....LA is Moz's adopted home...

Fine, I don't care where they do it, but I still think its a stupid, potential legacy/myth ruining idea anyway.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-12-2008, 05:39 AM
Fine, I don't care where they do it, but I still think its a stupid, potential legacy/myth ruining idea anyway.

Now that I understand your reasoning....(the whole, if you think it won't happen then it won't)...I don't think your as much of a douche now...but who cares? If The Smiths aren't there then we will get something to make the festival epic...BTW the whole myth ruining thing is kind of douchey....ITS JUST A BAND!

PierogiHead
12-12-2008, 05:48 AM
Now that I understand your reasoning....(the whole, if you think it won't happen then it won't)...I don't think your as much of a douche now...but who cares? If The Smiths aren't there then we will get something to make the festival epic...BTW the whole myth ruining thing is kind of douchey....ITS JUST A BAND!

Haha, I know I know. I guess the materialstic properties of their potential reunion is not much different than my selfish nostalgia reasons for not wanting them to. It's not like my entire existance relies on whether they reunite or not. Whatever happens, happens. Personally, after last year's initial Jack Johnson debacle, I want to set the bar low for Coachella. It was tough those first few days after the line up was announced. Yet, ironically, last year's festival was the funnest I had been too!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-12-2008, 05:53 AM
Haha, I know I know. I guess the materialstic properties of their potential reunion is not much different than my selfish nostalgia reasons for not wanting them to. It's not like my entire existance relies on whether they reunite or not. Whatever happens, happens. Personally, after last year's initial Jack Johnson debacle, I want to set the bar low for Coachella. It was tough those first few days after the line up was announced. Yet, ironically, last year's festival was the funnest I had been too!

Last year either tied my number #1 (2004) or my #2 (2007)...good times...good times...

amyzzz
12-12-2008, 08:36 AM
This is so infuriating! I'm already thinking about what I would do if this happened--try to get up front or stay in the back?? The crush at the stage will be absolute madness. Morrissey fans are nuts (myself included).

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-12-2008, 09:44 AM
This is so infuriating! I'm already thinking about what I would do if this happened--try to get up front or stay in the back?? The crush at the stage will be absolute madness. Morrissey fans are nuts (myself included).

Camping all day!!!! Smiths are worthy of the other acts I camped all day for:Radiohead, Bjork, Portishead. As long as the other stages aren't filled with: The Knife, BoC or something along those lines...I know GV isn't that cruel...

betao
12-12-2008, 09:51 AM

Your Daft Punk example may work, but your Coldplay argument is silly. Starting a tour in the US (Coldplay) is not comparable to playing your first gig in 20 years (Smiths).

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Your Daft Punk example may work, but your Coldplay argument is silly. Starting a tour in the US (Coldplay) is not comparable to playing your first gig in 20 years (Smiths).

But you understood my point....

orbit
12-12-2008, 10:02 AM
didi you camp all day for portishead? i met this guy who was camping since 11am for prince. i got there by the end of cafe tacuba and stood next to him. front row center.

betao
12-12-2008, 10:06 AM
But you understood my point....

Yeah I can see what you're saying. The Smiths could play Coachella before any other shows.

didi you camp all day for portishead? i met this guy who was camping since 11am for prince. i got there by the end of cafe tacuba and stood next to him. front row center.

I'm sure he was satisfied with your achievement.

rage patton
12-12-2008, 10:06 AM
I will never, ever camp out for any band. No matter what. I will show up an act or two before hand depending on how badly I want to see the act... but I will never camp out.

paganman7
12-12-2008, 10:10 AM
I will never, ever camp out for any band. No matter what. I will show up an act or two before hand depending on how badly I want to see the act... but I will never camp out.

I did it once, and I'll never do it again. I was parked at the main stage on Sunday in '06 starting at 11:00 am. After spending an entire day watching really shitty bands (Sleater Kinney, Magic Numbers...), and nearly dying from heat exhaustion, my friend comes strolling in right before Yeah Yeah Yeahs and stands right next to me.

I felt like a dehydrated, retarded jackass.

Trudeau
12-12-2008, 10:12 AM
I prefer the The Smiths being an unobtainable myth in music history. Don't do this without the full band either, guys.

Waahhhhhhhhh wwwwaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

microcuts
12-12-2008, 10:14 AM
I did it once, and I'll never do it again. I was parked at the main stage on Sunday in '06 starting at 11:00 am. After spending an entire day watching really shitty bands (Sleater Kinney, Magic Numbers...), and nearly dying from heat exhaustion, my friend comes strolling in right before Yeah Yeah Yeahs and stands right next to me.

I felt like a dehydrated, retarded jackass.

Sleater-Kinney is quite frankly the opposite of "really shitty"

Boourns
12-12-2008, 10:23 AM
The smiths don't need to play the uk first. This is morrissey's new home. And how many latinos are over there compared to here?

orbit
12-12-2008, 10:29 AM

if it's a band i really want to see, i usually show up 3-4 bands before hand.

but this guy camping for prince was nuts. he brought his lunch and everything. i remember morris day calling him to get on stage and he didn't want to. i thought he would be the first to ask to be picked.

amyzzz
12-12-2008, 10:41 AM
I didn't camp for Portishead -- I did the same, moseyed into after Cafe Tacuba and during DCFC, and when DCFC were over, I rushed up and ended up "2nd row" behind some female douchebags who were there for Prince probably. Was sweet. I don't have the patience to camp out all day, but I'm not sure what I'd do for The Smiths.

edit: and I like DCFC, Kraftwerk, AND Portishead so I never had to sit through anything I didn't like, luckily.

PierogiHead
12-12-2008, 10:46 AM
I didn't camp for Portishead -- I did the same, moseyed into after Cafe Tacuba and during DCFC, and when DCFC were over, I rushed up and ended up "2nd row" behind some female douchebags who were there for Prince probably. Was sweet. I don't have the patience to camp out all day, but I'm not sure what I'd do for The Smiths.

edit: and I like DCFC, Kraftwerk, AND Portishead so I never had to sit through anything I didn't like, luckily.

I'd probably just watch them in the AT&T Blue Room.

Joke, joke.

Boourns
12-12-2008, 10:47 AM
I'd camp for Pulp, that's it.

betao
12-12-2008, 11:07 AM
I showed up at the start of DCFC to see Kraftwerk and everyone else. By the time Kraftwerk was over, I was at about the 4th row.

Cdubby
12-12-2008, 11:15 AM
I made my way over and got to kraftwerk during their first 5-10 mins i believe, made like 20th row for kraftwerk, phead, and prince....dont know wtf i was doing

emtgreg
12-12-2008, 11:34 AM
i showed up just before portishead and ended up about 5 from the line...

lulz...

i was just really, really polite...

also, i would see the smiths from as far up front as would be safe...

smiths fans ARE nuts...amyzzzz is right...

LikeSpinningPlates
12-12-2008, 11:37 AM
just posted this in another thread, but smiths are confirmed.

PassiveTheory
12-12-2008, 12:00 PM
NAWWWW REALLY?

I really can't wait until January so all this baseless speculation can finally stop.

microcuts
12-12-2008, 12:04 PM
just posted this in another thread, but smiths are confirmed.

Your mom is confirmed. A confirmed skank ass.

PierogiHead
12-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Your mom is confirmed. A confirmed skank ass.

These Britney rumors have got to stop...

futureperfect
12-12-2008, 12:32 PM
I think the Smiths might cause Rage Against The Machine type riots :)

superfiction
12-12-2008, 12:39 PM
does this mean i have to start trying to like them so i can appretiate seeing them

mvanwinkle
12-12-2008, 12:43 PM
no. fuck the smiths.

amyzzz
12-12-2008, 12:45 PM
does this mean i have to start trying to like them so i can appretiate seeing them
No, you can hang out in the Sahara.

captncrzy
12-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Why preplan? It's all bullshit. BULL FUCKING SHIT

tHEdARKsIDE
12-12-2008, 12:48 PM

but it's probably less dangerous when its a bunch of old gay guys...

orbit
12-12-2008, 12:48 PM

it will be so much worse.

mvanwinkle
12-12-2008, 12:54 PM
thats what i did last year with the portishead rumors last year. and am really glad i did. i have tried many times to get into the smiths. i just dont get it. i guess. but i would be happy for everyone else who got to see them. especially passive and amyzzz

Xenocide
12-12-2008, 12:58 PM
i pretty much only really listen to 'how soon is now' (and to be honest, prefer many of the covers that have been done better; i.e. Snake River Conspiracy, Lovespit Love, even Tatu)...

...but it's a once in a lifetime performance, and i'd be there watching...

paganman7
12-12-2008, 12:58 PM

Will they pull your hair and smack you really super duper hard right acrossssssss your face?

Blinken
12-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Will they pull your hair and smack you really super duper hard right acrossssssss your face?

Yes because Rage fans do this. :rolleyes

amyzzz
12-12-2008, 01:13 PM
thats what i did last year with the portishead rumors last year. and am really glad i did. i have tried many times to get into the smiths. i just dont get it. i guess. but i would be happy for everyone else who got to see them. especially passive and amyzzz
Yeah I was freaking out last year when Paul made the annoucement on Mexican radio (WTF was THAT all about??), and everyone was talking about it in chat. Portishead was slightly less exciting than The Smiths would be to me since I had seen Portishead before, but never The Smiths. I was 13 when The Smiths played here and a lot of y'all weren't even born yet when The Smiths were around.

Trying to take deep breaths. We've been burned before, and The Smiths re-forming for Coach is too much to believe, but I am a gullible dope.

Boourns
12-12-2008, 01:16 PM
If the Smiths play and you don't like them, don't go. 60,000 tickets is a drop in the bucket compared to the fan demand for this.

And I doubt anyone particularly good would want to play in the Sahara at the same time as a Smiths reunion, anyway.

amyzzz
12-12-2008, 01:21 PM
You're forgetting the TomAZ's of the world, Bourrns.

mvanwinkle
12-12-2008, 01:39 PM
If the Smiths play and you don't like them, don't go. 60,000 tickets is a drop in the bucket compared to the fan demand for this.

And I doubt anyone particularly good would want to play in the Sahara at the same time as a Smiths reunion, anyway.

theres 119 bands other that are playing i really hope not liking one band is a reason someone shouldnt be able to go.

mvanwinkle
12-12-2008, 01:40 PM
You're forgetting the TomAZ's of the world, Bourrns.

what does that mean. tomaz really confuses me for as much as he post i still dont "get him"

summerkid
12-12-2008, 01:42 PM
what does that mean. tomaz really confuses me for as much as he post i still dont "get him"

he doesn't understand what us kids like about the smiths.

coldstart
12-12-2008, 01:49 PM
I'd much rather see the Cure.

mvanwinkle
12-12-2008, 01:50 PM
yawn.

amyzzz
12-12-2008, 01:51 PM
The Cure are playing Bonnaroo

(kidding)

kitt kat
12-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Dude. That Mexican/Morrisey lovefest article was insane.

Anyone who thinks them reuniting first at/only at Coachella better read it. If they did Coachella, it would sell out in seconds, and we'd have a totally Cholotastichella. I mean, if that article was correct in its depiction of Latinos in LA loving the Smiths so hard, half of the population of LA would descend onto the polo fields.

PassiveTheory
12-12-2008, 04:34 PM
I honestly doubt it would be that huge.

Look, Moz played Coachella back in 1999. He wasn't even the headliner, and did the festival sell out? No. He was WAY more popular with latinos back then because that's when he actually LIVED in Los Angeles (he's in Rome now).

Also, the latinos that love Morrissey love Morrissey way more than the Smiths. So I'd say there would be a lot of them, but not like the swaths of cholos at RATM in 2007.

zenidogx
12-12-2008, 04:50 PM
the makeup of a Coachella Moz crowd, i could imagine, would be very much Latina heavy.
and a Smiths reunion, that could easily draw 2/3 as much Latinos as Rage, if not more.

Blinken
12-12-2008, 04:51 PM
So does that mean i will get stabbed?

zenidogx
12-12-2008, 04:52 PM
by a drunk bitch with high heels, yes.
i'm warning you now- you better not get in the way of Maria's view of Moz.

cubrocker
12-12-2008, 04:54 PM
considering i live in Tucson, I dont think the overwhelming number of them would phase me one bit.

PassiveTheory
12-12-2008, 04:55 PM
I don't think you get it. Latinos love Morrissey because they love HIS music. They don't give a flying fuck who Johnny Marr is.

kitt kat
12-12-2008, 04:58 PM
:(

I just want to be able to say I went to a Cholotastichella.

PassiveTheory
12-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Then get them to book Cypress Hill, Los Lobos, Los Lonely Boys, Jaguares, Morrissey (solo) and RATM.

cubrocker
12-12-2008, 05:05 PM
wouldnt it make more sense to call it Coacholo?

cubrocker
12-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Then get them to book Cypress Hill, Los Lobos, Los Lonely Boys, Jaguares, Morrissey (solo) and RATM.

Well when Cypress Hill and Rage were both at Vegoose III, it didnt seem like the crowd was much different. We did leave during Rage though on the first night so maybe I didnt experience the full extent of it.

zenidogx
12-12-2008, 05:09 PM
I don't think you get it. Latinos love Morrissey because they love HIS music. They don't give a flying fuck who Johnny Marr is.

PT, you ignorant slut. you forget that a Smiths reunion is something bigger than Morrissey. and duh, Morrissey fans love the Smiths too. enough to be interested in a reunion.

Blinken
12-12-2008, 05:12 PM
Why do they love Morrisey???? I don't get it.

Everyone is forgetting the Manu Cho effect on sunday of 07, it wasn't all Rage.

cubrocker
12-12-2008, 05:13 PM
and duh, Morrissey fans love the Smiths too. enough to be interested in a reunion.

i dont think thats very true

Boourns
12-12-2008, 05:17 PM
I've seen Morrissey twice and the crowd was just as white bread as any other concert.

zenidogx
12-12-2008, 05:19 PM
i dont think thats very true

they love the Smiths. they're just in love with Morissey.

kitt kat
12-12-2008, 05:27 PM

What, no Juanes?!

DruggyFestivalGuy
12-12-2008, 05:28 PM
My "guy" is a Latino.

PassiveTheory
12-12-2008, 05:38 PM
PT, you ignorant slut. you forget that a Smiths reunion is something bigger than Morrissey. and duh, Morrissey fans love the Smiths too. enough to be interested in a reunion.

Sorry Zeni, I'm going to take Chuck Klosterman's word over yours. Also, when I saw Morrissey in San Diego two years ago, there were nowhere near as many Smiths shirts as there were Morrissey shirts. I wouldn't be surprised to see a ton of Moz fans turn up and scream for Morrissey (with the accompanying Smiths) to launch into some Moz tunes.

zenidogx
12-12-2008, 05:42 PM
alright, PT, i see where you're coming from. i just think Moz fans are aware of and appreciate Morrissey's work with the Smiths.

but, uh, you might wanna think about this one:

Also, when I saw Morrissey in San Diego two years ago, there were nowhere near as many Smiths shirts as there were Morrissey shirts.

Sushov23
12-12-2008, 05:42 PM
PT doesn't know shit, Latino/as fucking love The Smiths. Why do you think Moz has so many latino fans? PT, do you have any mexican friends to begin with? where the fuck are you getting your info from. keep your fucking mouth shut about this.

PassiveTheory
12-12-2008, 05:46 PM
http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=z8Zb3BwcviMC&dq=Chuck+Klosterman+Morrissey&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=9cDv0nvY0k&sig=gzxJ-BOQkhg25SiM7rxqj9ro6vk&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result#PPA48,M1

Go to page 48 and shut the hell up Sushov.

morelifefucker
12-12-2008, 05:48 PM
yea, a cholo that likes morrissey? what kind a gangster would that be? a cholo wont even bother with coachella , there coachella is the art laboe show.

summerkid
12-12-2008, 05:56 PM
PT doesn't know shit, Latino/as fucking love The Smiths. Why do you think Moz has so many latino fans? PT, do you have any mexican friends to begin with? where the fuck are you getting your info from. keep your fucking mouth shut about this.

because they like his solo stuff? I have a friend who has Viva Hate tattooed on his shoulder not meat is murder or the queen is dead mind you.

orbit
12-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Also, when I saw Morrissey in San Diego two years ago, there were nowhere near as many Smiths shirts as there were Morrissey shirts.

what does that have to do with your point again?

shakermaker113
12-12-2008, 11:25 PM

what about infected mushroom?

cubrocker
12-13-2008, 01:42 AM
what about infected mushroom?

infected mushroom were great at vegoose last year. but i think it was iggy and the stooges that stole all the crowd from them, not sure. either way- there wasnt a huge crowd for them and i know that I and anyone else i know would definately see the smiths over infected mushroom... and i really like them.

PassiveTheory
12-13-2008, 04:02 AM
what does that have to do with your point again?

If they were such HUGE Smiths fans like Sushov suggests they were, the Smiths t-shirts would out-number the Moz ones.

Somewhat Damaged
12-13-2008, 05:06 AM
cubrocker, shakermaker was referring to Infected Mushroom closing out the Sahara tent in '07 opposite RATM. I left Rage about halfway through and closed out the night in the Sahara, which was maybe 1/3 full but the band was fucking tits.

amyzzz
12-13-2008, 06:27 AM
If they were such HUGE Smiths fans like Sushov suggests they were, the Smiths t-shirts would out-number the Moz ones.
Maybe Moz's fans just didn't want to piss him off by wearing his old band shirts.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-13-2008, 06:57 AM
Maybe Moz's fans just didn't want to piss him off by wearing his old band shirts.

QFT

microcuts
12-13-2008, 08:05 AM
That and it's a lot easier to obtain a Morrissey shirt, being that he sells them at the shows and they're simply more recent. Just because someone doesn't have a band's shirt doesn't mean they're not a fan...

PierogiHead
12-13-2008, 08:08 AM
Can anyone translate German? This article that was just posted on Morrissey-solo.com says that Morrissey will be in Denmark come April. I don't know if it says when exactly, but its in this article:

http://www.gaffa.dk/nyhed/30328

Edit: It's actually in Danish.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-13-2008, 08:09 AM
Can anyone translate German? This article that was just posted on Morrissey-solo.com says that Morrissey will be in Denmark come April. I don't know if it says when exactly, but its in this article:

http://www.gaffa.dk/nyhed/30328

Its Danish...or Dansk to you none speakers...
The provocative elegantier guests Copenhagen and Odense in April
On 16 February schedule Morrissey forthcoming album "Years Of refusal". In this context, Gaffa at the time of writing in London and get an exclusive interview with the elegant provocateur, and Morrissey have just discovered that he gives two Danish concerts in April.

- I play in the KB Hallen in Copenhagen and then in New Jersey at an event with a long name that I just can not remember. It will be sometime in April, says Morrissey to Gaffa broadcast executive, Lars Jeppesen Löbner.

It is time to play gætteleg regarding odenseanske venues with long names. There is, of course, Odense Idrætscenter, and then there is Arena Fyn and magazine - if you will call it a long name, but you hardly, if one is leveringsdygtig in song titles like "I'm throwing My Arms Around Paris" (single precursor for the new album, physically accessible February 9), "I Will See You In Far-Off Places", "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out", "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me" and "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want ", to name but a few examples. The item is displayed for a short name, and the venue is probably also too small for an artist with Morrissey popularity.

"Years Of refusal" contains 12 songs, as Morrissey has written partly with the old collaborators Alain Whyte and Boz Boor, and along with newcomer Jesse Tobias. The album is partly produced by Jerry Finn, who nevertheless became ill and died during filming. "Years Of refusal" has, for the geeky interested, a total playing time of 43 minutes and 25 seconds. It is the first Morrissey studiealbum under his new contract with Decca record company, part of the multinational Universal Music umbrella.

Gaffa interview with Morrissey, you can read in Gaffa in February or March.

PierogiHead
12-13-2008, 08:17 AM
So, the fact he doesn't say exactly when he will be there still leaves the door open for Coachella, because he might have just said that so it would not be obvious as to whether or not he or The Smiths will be playing. I guess if he was playing there when Coachella is going on, he would just come right out and say it, thus squashing all rumors?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Screwy tour....he plays Denmark AND New Jersey in April? WTF

Its Danish...or Dansk to you none speakers...
The provocative elegantier guests Copenhagen and Odense in April
On 16 February schedule Morrissey forthcoming album "Years Of refusal". In this context, Gaffa at the time of writing in London and get an exclusive interview with the elegant provocateur, and Morrissey have just discovered that he gives two Danish concerts in April.

- I play in the KB Hallen in Copenhagen and then in New Jersey at an event with a long name that I just can not remember. It will be sometime in April, says Morrissey to Gaffa broadcast executive, Lars Jeppesen Löbner.

PierogiHead
12-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Screwy tour....he plays Denmark AND New Jersey in April? WTF

Something must have gotten lost in translation there. He says he is playing at a place that has a long name. It then goes on to name venues in Denmark with long names. I would think he is referencing a place in Denmark, and not New Jersey, USA.

shakermaker113
12-13-2008, 09:44 AM
what events in new jersey have a long name?

cubrocker
12-13-2008, 09:48 AM
cubrocker, shakermaker was referring to Infected Mushroom closing out the Sahara tent in '07 opposite RATM. I left Rage about halfway through and closed out the night in the Sahara, which was maybe 1/3 full but the band was fucking tits.

hell yeah IM puts on a good show, i couldnt believe people werent swarming to the stage.

cubrocker
12-13-2008, 09:49 AM

All Points West is the only event in Jersey isnt it?

although thats not in April, its in August

PierogiHead
12-13-2008, 09:54 AM

Again, something has obviously been lost in translation. The article goes on to say:

"It is time to play gætteleg regarding odenseanske venues with long names. There is, of course, Odense Idrætscenter, and then there is Arena Fyn and magazine - if you will call it a long name, but you hardly, if one is leveringsdygtig in song titles like "I'm throwing My Arms Around Paris" (single precursor for the new album, physically accessible February 9), "I Will See You In Far-Off Places", "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out", "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me" and "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want ", to name but a few examples. The item is displayed for a short name, and the venue is probably also too small for an artist with Morrissey popularity."

Its not an event, its a venue, and its probably some place located in Denmark whose location name coincedentally sounds like or translates to New Jersey.

Alchemy
12-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Not all Latinos and Latinas like Morrissey. His concert here did not have a lot of people, considering he is right on top of Mexico... but then, El Paso is a strange anomaly in a lot of things, and I am a Latino that likes Morrissey.

Boourns
12-18-2008, 11:32 AM
wouldnt it make more sense to call it Coacholo?

Someone make a poster for this.