PDA

View Full Version : The Official Bonnaroo 2009 Coachella Board thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 115 116

suprefan
06-14-2009, 01:17 PM
They cut into him, so they could make it end before they showed andrew bird. Again, this isnt ''live'' if you havent noticed.

boarderwoozel3
06-14-2009, 01:44 PM
oh? like a Pixies reunion?

just sayin... if Radiohead & Talking Heads were both booked the same day, who do you think would be on the top of the poster and play last? and i would LOVE a Talking Heads reunion, but i wouldn't see them billed above Prince, Macca, RATM or Roger Waters... keep in mind, the subs are what helps keep coach eclectic, the headliners are what's used to sell tickets, and while a Heads reunion would help sell a lot of tickets, it wouldn't sell out the festival... but they could def headline a day, just not the weekend

and wtf?! booker t didn't end with 'green onions'??? either he didn't play it or it was in the first half hour we didn't get to see... :(

Well, agree to disagree then. Either way, Byrne needs to stop being a punk and reunite the heads already.

As for the 'roo broadcasts being live or not. They're live as live as they're going to get so what does it really matter?

suprefan
06-14-2009, 01:52 PM
doesnt matter to me, its just somebody else crying about them not showing something. I am a little suprised that their ''TBA'' times at the end of the evening got taken out. I figure one of them was Phish and another was Beastie Boys. And I have been reading BB's were not that good, but I am sure Paul b will say ''best set evar!'

nbvwes
06-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Again, this isnt ''live'' if you havent noticed.

once again, what does me "crying" about not hearing Booker T do 'green onions' have anything to do with the fact that it was recorded yesterday? how does 'live' or 'not live' have any bearing on showing 45min of an hour & a half set??

just like 'live' or 'not live' has nothing to do with time zones...

you keep bringing this up supre, as if it has anything to do with anything anyone has said...

nbvwes
06-14-2009, 02:00 PM
And I have been reading BB's were not that good, but I am sure Paul b will say ''best set evar!'

as far as beasties go, it looks to me like "same set EVA!"

i think that's nearly identical to the set i saw ten years ago at Rockpalast...

boarderwoozel3
06-14-2009, 02:06 PM
I think the important question here is why they're showing Andrew Bird's shtick. I whistle in the shower form time to time, 'nuff said.

BlackSwan
06-14-2009, 02:40 PM
I know, I'm trying to get tickets for the Greek

Whoa, it's totally sold out?

suprefan
06-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Hahaha beatle bob got knocked out

RotationSlimWang
06-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Is that TV channel broadcasting a Bonnaroo weekend again or what?

suprefan
06-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Fuse? Who knows.

crazzz2007
06-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Right. Lollapalooza and ACL are even worse at this, scheduling two headliners each day at exactly the same time.

I remember when ACL scheduled the White Stripes vs Arcade Fire. Yeah, the two major indie breakthrough acts of the 00's at the exact same time.

2 headliners are better than 1, even if they conflict. stop bitching.

cormaic
06-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Whoa, it's totally sold out?

No, there are still seats available.

Didn't even have a clue about this concert until today. Holy fuck, I need to see it.

crazzz2007
06-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Decemberists kicked ass, but everything in this extended encore has sucked balls...

Oakenfold in 5 minutes! From this i'll be able to decide whether to skip him at EDC or not...

you should skip oakenfold every time you get the chance.

canexplain
06-14-2009, 04:59 PM
c and c kicked ass, but then everyone on the broadcast was really good i think .... cr****

nbvwes
06-14-2009, 05:16 PM
2 headliners are better than 1, even if they conflict. stop bitching.

no offense, but that's pretty fucking retarded...

nbvwes
06-14-2009, 05:37 PM
damn... not the best musical performance or anything, but Snoop sure knows how to crowd please...

this setlist is fucking amazing!!!

canexplain
06-14-2009, 05:38 PM
snoop is throwing it down ... and so are the lakers .... cr****

boarderwoozel3
06-14-2009, 05:45 PM
damn... not the best musical performance or anything, but Snoop sure knows how to crowd please...

Seriously. It's a total throwback to high school. I dig the live band too.

nbvwes
06-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Hail Mary...

:) :) :)

nbvwes
06-14-2009, 06:06 PM
holy shit, if there is any shit anybody did in the 90's that he's NOT doing, i'd be shocked!

hehe, it's just as well i'm not there, i'd be missing most of this for Neko Case... i suck

Snoop -> Phish : the amount of smoke in the air at Roo must be staggering...

nbvwes
06-14-2009, 06:14 PM
HAHAHA i just found Waldo in the snoop crowd!!!

DRcube
06-14-2009, 06:16 PM
this set is so sick, he has so many hits!

nbvwes
06-14-2009, 06:22 PM
yeah, especially since most of these are other people's songs!hahaha

dude, Snoop is hilarious!!! that reggae impression is making me roll on the floor LOLOLOL

canexplain
06-14-2009, 06:28 PM
that whole set was very cool .. i wish they would show even a half hour of phish but nooooooooooooooooooooooooo ..... cr****

Alligator Bogaloo
06-14-2009, 06:39 PM
So what is up with the rail?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3371/3620406245_5964cf8737.jpg

what is up with that rail... anybody know?

unknown
06-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Another vid showing the traffic on the 11th but these guys recording have no idea what is going on. I laughed at their reaction when they saw black people.

pDjo8m3393M

Someone mentioned earlier how they would have found a gap in traffic and hopped in line and after seeing this I agree. Some of the gaps in traffic are ridiculous and I wouldn't feel bad at all.

suprefan
06-14-2009, 07:24 PM

they do that, so it doesnt get so squishy up front? You can go as you please, so if you left its not a big deal to go back in there.

And this is a great tweet

cos: Bruce is playing with PHISH? Well, that teaches me not to leave early! (alex)

Thats axyoung who is on this board, he left after Band of Horses ended, what a mistake.

prettydirtything
06-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Another vid showing the traffic on the 11th but these guys recording have no idea what is going on. I laughed at their reaction when they saw black people.

pDjo8m3393M

Someone mentioned earlier how they would have found a gap in traffic and hopped in line and after seeing this I agree. Some of the gaps in traffic are ridiculous and I wouldn't feel bad at all.

That was effin funny. "Bondaroo? What is Bondaroo? What are all these people doing? No, it says 'Bonnaroo'. What is Bonnaroo? Google Bonnaroo..."

JustSteve
06-14-2009, 07:47 PM
this set is so sick, he has so many hits!

saw him at the glass house after christmas and it was such a fun show. funniest part is when he starts singin' about killing cops and there are about 7 of them standing there watching...everyone around looked over at them at the same time. and there was no way they weren't just a little high by the end of the show, we all were.

boarderwoozel3
06-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Who does Ben Harper think he is covering Zeppelin and Queen/Bowie in the same set?! It was a valiant effort but he really doesn't have the voice for Under Pressure, it gave out on him a few times.

canexplain
06-14-2009, 08:26 PM
yea he is great with his guitar but his vocals are odd , good set though .. so no more roo :( cr*****

suprefan
06-14-2009, 08:44 PM
More setlists

Bruce springsteen

Badlands
No Surrender
My Lucky Day
Outlaw Pete
Out in the Street
Working on a Dream
Seeds
Johnny 99
Youngstown
Raise Your Hand
Santa Claus is Comin' to Town
Growin' Up
Thunder Road
Waitin' on a Sunny Day
The Promised Land
The River
Kingdom of Days
Radio Nowhere
Lonesome Day
The Rising
Born to Run
Hard Times
Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
Land of Hope and Dreams
American Land
Rosalita
Glory Days
Dancing in the Dark

MGMT

"Destrokk"
"Future Reflections"
"4th Dimensional"
"Pieces of What"
"Dan Treacy"
"Of Moons, Birds..."
"Weekend Wars"
"Time To Pretend"
"Electric Feel"
"Voices Carry" (Til Tuesday cover)
"It's Working"
"The Youth"
"The Handshake"

Encore:
"Teenage Lust"
"Kids"
"Congratulations"

wilco

Wilco (The Song)
I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
Company on My Back
Handshake NO NO WORD!!!
Blue Black Nova
You Are My Face
One Wing
Pot Kettle Black
Side with the Seeds
Shot in the Arm
At Least That’s What You Said
Jesus, Etc.
Impossible Germany
California Stars
Misunderstood (32 “nothings” at the end)
Spiders (Kidsmoke) (with cameraman strumming Jeff’s guitar, huge build)
Hummingbird
You Never Know
The Late Greats
Hate It Here
Walken
I’m the Man Who Loves You

nbvwes
06-14-2009, 09:06 PM

i noticed even though there were about 40,000+ watching Snoop, there was TONS of room between the rail and the back of the crowd in front of the rail... pretty dumb if you ask me...

Who does Ben Harper think he is covering Zeppelin and Queen/Bowie in the same set?! It was a valiant effort but he really doesn't have the voice for Under Pressure, it gave out on him a few times.

what Led Zep song did he cover?

suprefan
06-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Phish

Set One:
AC/DC Bag
NICU
Gotta Jibboo
Punch You in the Eye >
Sparkle >
Bathtub Gin
Character Zero >
Tweezer >
The Horse >
Sillent In The Morning
Run Like An Antelope
Mustang Sally
Bobby Jean >
Glory Days

Set Two:
Rock and Roll >
Light >
46 Days
Limb By Limb
Farmhouse
Backards Down The Number Line >
Prince Caspian
First Tube

Encore
Suzy Greenberg
Tweezer Reprise

last 3 songs of set one all done with Bruce Springsteen

boarderwoozel3
06-14-2009, 09:38 PM
what Led Zep song did he cover?

Good Times, Bad Times

Wheres the beef?
06-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Phish

Set One:
AC/DC Bag
NICU
Gotta Jibboo
Punch You in the Eye >
Sparkle >
Bathtub Gin
Character Zero >
Tweezer >
The Horse >
Sillent In The Morning
Run Like An Antelope
Mustang Sally
Bobby Jean >
Glory Days

Set Two:
Rock and Roll >
Light >
46 Days
Limb By Limb
Farmhouse
Backards Down The Number Line >
Prince Caspian
First Tube

Encore
Suzy Greenberg
Tweezer Reprise

last 3 songs of set one all done with Bruce Springsteen

No Gin n Juice? What a rip.

menikmati
06-14-2009, 10:16 PM
NIN is up at etree....can't wait for the wilco recording too.

suprefan
06-14-2009, 10:33 PM

Its not like you went, so dont complain.

TallGuyCM
06-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Who does Ben Harper think he is covering Zeppelin and Queen/Bowie in the same set?!

He played Good Times Bad Times at the Wiltern a few weeks ago and KILLED IT! Highlight of the night. It's not like he's saying he's better than those bands, just paying tribute to his influences. Calm down.

boarderwoozel3
06-14-2009, 11:30 PM
^
Of course it's a tribute. I suppose I didn't convey the intended light hearted tone in my initial post. Good Times, Bad Times was better than Under Pressure IMO. But I do respect having the ambition to sing Freddy Mercury/David Bowie songs.

nbvwes
06-14-2009, 11:45 PM

:lool

Its not like you went, so dont complain.

try to get the joke next time supre...

Wheres the beef?
06-15-2009, 12:29 AM
try to get the joke next time supre...

:lool

crazzz2007
06-15-2009, 02:00 AM
no offense, but that's pretty fucking retarded...

how is that retarded?

at coachella, there's 1 headliner. you may or may not want to see the headliner.

if there are 2 headliners, there is a greater likelihood that you will want to see at least 1 of them. if you want to see both, you can either pick the one you like best or see half of both.

the point is, how can MORE CHOICE be a bad thing? you might want to check the dictionary for the definition of retarded.

Sexecutioner
06-15-2009, 09:35 AM

pDjo8m3393M

What the hell is wrong with people? I would never EVER wait in a line like that. I don't care what it's for. Leave it to a bunch of stupid hippies to sit in the shoulder for 6 miles when there are 2 perfectly good, fast moving lanes right next to them.

pancakespancakes
06-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi Bonnathread. This thread got this big while we were all gone? Really?

Just got home. I have been awake for 24 hours straight now. Time for sleep.

Bonnaroo 2009 was an... A+++++++++++++++++++++++++

BROKENDOLL
06-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Yes! Now we can hear the facts instead of speculations or guesses! And I can't wait to see the excitement when Sa-lah finds out he might have been spotted on the rail by board members! He'll either confirm that he was way fucked up or ask if his hair looked okay!:thu

djandrews25
06-15-2009, 12:47 PM
More reviews please. Post some pictures too.

BROKENDOLL
06-15-2009, 12:49 PM
I imagine everybody will be crawling in slowly, but surely. They're probably a little water-logged!

Quadromarshia
06-15-2009, 01:52 PM
David Byrne came on, dissolved, and rebuilt my soul.

Anyone who passed on the chance to see even one of his songs (except Paul) is ridiculous.

More feedback to follow.

scoop49er
06-15-2009, 03:22 PM
ok. im back in cali, caught a nap and a fucking great shower after spending the last few days at the roo. here is a short review...

weather: i got there fri morning around 4am and cars were spinning left and right trying to get past the mud due to all the rain.... but after we got past that, the weather was actually pleasant all weekend... no rain, only spots of humidity. sunday felt like coachella weather from this year so it worked out well

bands: easily the best sets ive seen all year.... every artist stepped up big time. every stage or tent we went to was exciting and everyone was always pumped up..

headliners:

beastie boys were strong all the way through... no sleep til was aweseom to hear..

bruce was bruce. kicked ass like expected

phish was ok.. just not into that scene but bruce playing with them was a hghlight

NIN: something about watching a band of their calibur at 2am makes it even more fucking cool than it already was.. great set!

great surprises:

al green: i loved his set.. Al played some brilliant songs and when he did "how do you mend a broken heart" i fucking nearly teared up! . :)

Raphael saddiq: KICKED ASS! ive been watching how he is evolving into a strong live act and i hope that coachella will consider him... great set and strong band...

jenny lewis: i thought she was very good and i loved hearing acid tongue!

cage the elephant: i was not expecting much but i left feeling like i watched a band about to go to the next level. the lead singer for sure did his best to imitate iggy pop. but it worked for his generation who was watching him. and i dug it.. alot of stage diving and it was a great way to start sunday.

the lovell sisters: we passed by and decided to watch a few min. we ended up watching the last 30 min of the set.. very talented and the main singer looked like she wanted to fuck her guitar when she played. and they were playing bluegrass.. it was passionate and she was into it and i was impressed...

dilinger escape plan/shadows fall: 2 great underrated metal bands that kicked fucking ass!! it was great to see metal represent... nice change of pace

Snoop Dogg: i told people before that snoop is very good at stepping up live in big spots.. he did it again... the whole crowd was into it and he for sure did not need a smoke maching cuz every fucking person was smoking out so it was a great time!

neko case:great singer and enjoyed it more than i expected..

final part: i ended up seeing around 30 acts and was not disappointed once... weather was good, food was good, people were cool as usual.. its just a special festival... bonnaroo and coachella are different and special in their own ways.. if you have not gone yet, seriously consider going... it just a great time! :)

chiapet
06-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Posting from my phone in my hotel in Nashville. Whee... I just showered for over an hour and am still not clean. Feet are stained black from 4 days of trudging through mud to get to camp (though it only rained on Thursday). Boots would have definitely been a good idea.

We managed to caravan most of the boardies together and had about 10 carloads in one spot. Made for a great weekend, there were almost always people hanging out at camp. We managed to pull off our rave on Sunday. :)

Re: Oakenfold - he went on a little late (15 min?) and played well over his set time. I left around 4:45, walked back to camp, hung out and then went to bed at 5:30. Could STILL hear him. The set was not great but I can speak for the others that it was a lot of fun.

My highlights: Byrne was incredible, and the crowd was absolutely filled with joy. Everyone was dancing. I we also really happy with Phoenix who sounded more or less like their album. Had been worried they wouldn't be good live

I totally fail, though, I missed NIN due to being physically unable to carry myself back to Centeroo. Not drugs just exhaustion. Pretty unhappy that I paced myself so poorly.

BlackSwan
06-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Either way, Byrne needs to stop being a punk and reunite the heads already.

Unfortunately, with his solo tours doing so well he has no reason to.

What was Snoop's setlist?

suprefan
06-15-2009, 03:59 PM
No idea, but this is awesome. Somebodys review of dillinger

Some observations:

1. My most memorable show of the week.
2. Hope the girl with the broke nose is OK. (no, I did not break it)
3. ELEVEN security guards were not enough.
4.The case of water Greg Puciato threw into the crowd while still in it's box might have seemed like a good idea at the time. I found it amusing anyway. But it did not hit me.
5. Crowd surfing is an art form for the insane.
6. Yes you can jump from the stage into the crowd and still play guitar and sing. Good to know.
7. Ear plugs are a wonderful thing when right next to a jumbo tron of speakers.
8. I still have Greg Puciato's sweat on my glasses. I will never wash them.

hf8VaPZETac

boarderwoozel3
06-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Unfortunately, with his solo tours doing so well he has no reason to.

It's the sad truth. He and Moz with their 'I have no desire to reform my initial incredible band' shenanigans. Le sigh.

crazzz2007
06-15-2009, 04:56 PM
No idea, but this is awesome. Somebodys review of dillinger

hf8VaPZETac

that's the most pathetic mosh pit ever. more like a hug pit.

Quadromarshia
06-15-2009, 05:14 PM
It's the sad truth. He and Moz with their 'I have no desire to reform my initial incredible band' shenanigans. Le sigh.

Would you really want to see them do a tour when nobody really has their heart in it (look at footage of their induction into the R&R hall of fame)? Just because they're all alive doesn't mean they have to reunite. I mean, not only did David play a slew of amazing TH songs, but it sounded like listening to the Heads themselves. Getting them all together on stage again would just be sentimental. Truth be told, i'd feel awkward seeing them all awkward on stage, when we all know how they feel about each other.

If you need to satisfy your Talking Heads live craving, there's two awesome live albums, and you can go see David Byrne.

shotglass75
06-15-2009, 05:28 PM
that's the most pathetic mosh pit ever. more like a hug pit.

Sunday afternoon, after being up from 7 in the morning til 5 in the morning for 3 days in a row, after seeing NIN play a blistering set till 3 AM and then waking up to go do it all over again for DEP, I'd lay off with the comments. Your a moron

It's funny reading through this thread and seeing everybody's opinions on obviously something that they know nothing about. Bonnaroo was a fucking blast and when everyone gets home and showers and gets some sleep you will not stop hearing about how fucking awesome it was until next year. Jesus Fucking Christ I just had one of the best weekends of my life.

chiapet
06-15-2009, 05:38 PM
^^^ no joke. I've never approached this level of exhaustion at coachella. I didn't really understand what people meant until going. It's not just the official stuff going until 4..5..6am but that there are parties, music, bands 24 hrs in camp. ANY of the things going on would get shut down within a few minutes at Coachella.

And for those of you who want to suggest Coachella parties as much just in a different way, you need to know that those fucking hippies eat far more rolls and acid than you do. :)

Wheres the beef?
06-15-2009, 05:44 PM
^^^ no joke. I've never approached this level of exhaustion at coachella. I didn't really understand what people meant until going. It's not just the official stuff going until 4..5..6am but that there are parties, music, bands 24 hrs in camp. ANY of the things going on would get shut down within a few minutes at Coachella.

And for those of you who want to suggest Coachella parties as much just in a different way, you need to know that those fucking hippies eat far more rolls and acid than you do. :)

But the music............is not my thing. Needs more EDM.

Geno_g
06-15-2009, 05:46 PM
The music is great, I'm trying to go next year...

Quadromarshia
06-15-2009, 05:52 PM

Seriously! It's a four day long, non-stop party. Anything you want you can find there, and in any quantity that you want.

suprefan
06-15-2009, 06:10 PM
But the music............is not my thing. Needs more EDM.

Well Tool played one year, you didnt go, that was your music. They will never put more EDM, thats not their thing.

boarderwoozel3
06-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Good god, thank you Capitan obvious.

Seriously! It's a four day long, non-stop party. Anything you want you can find there, and in any quantity that you want.

O rly? That sounds like my kind of scene.

Heidi, is Bonnaroo Coachella-like in the sense that you buy advance tickets without knowing the lineup because it's going to be an amazing experience every time?

unknown
06-15-2009, 06:25 PM
I already want to go next year and I know once the pictures and videos and stories start getting posted I will come to the conclusion that I must go. But fuck, I despise humidity.

JSam67
06-15-2009, 06:25 PM
This weekend was fucking amazing. Thanks to everybody for coordinating such a great time. I'd like to comment more but the shower beckons.

Wheres the beef?
06-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Well Tool played one year, you didnt go, that was your music. They will never put more EDM, thats not their thing.

I know but Tool was touring and I had plenty of chances to see them. If it was something like that this year I would go since they are possibly not going to play Ca. Hence, my Lolla attendance. But, Lolla has a sweet EDM lineup too.

Wheres the beef?
06-15-2009, 06:28 PM
I think I'd rather do Burning Man than Roo though, next year.

JSam67
06-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Ryan, I think it's best not to form an opinion on Bonnaroo before going. It was so incredible.

Wheres the beef?
06-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Ryan, I think it's best not to form an opinion on Bonnaroo before going. It was so incredible.

You're right, Josh. You're sooo right. :(

Quadromarshia
06-15-2009, 06:50 PM
To be honest, the lineup for 'roo wasn't as important as the line up for Coachella, for me anyway.

I think the Bonnaroo lineup is like Coachella's in the sense that every year it's a safe bet the lineup is going to be great.

boarderwoozel3
06-15-2009, 07:03 PM
To be honest, the lineup for 'roo wasn't as important as the line up for Coachella, for me anyway.

Is this due to your location or because Bonnaroo has more non-music attractions going on?

Suffacated
06-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Sunday afternoon, after being up from 7 in the morning til 5 in the morning for 3 days in a row, after seeing NIN play a blistering set till 3 AM and then waking up to go do it all over again for DEP, I'd lay off with the comments. Your a moron

It's funny reading through this thread and seeing everybody's opinions on obviously something that they know nothing about. Bonnaroo was a fucking blast and when everyone gets home and showers and gets some sleep you will not stop hearing about how fucking awesome it was until next year. Jesus Fucking Christ I just had one of the best weekends of my life.

First..... Thank you shotglass75 and all of the others who were fortunate enough to attend Bonnaroo.
IMHO, this is definitely the best review yet.
Your reviews are the shit and very enlightening to people like me who have not made the trip yet.
One of these days, BD and I will be able to post our own reviews about Bonnarro. But for now, keep em' coming !

pancakespancakes
06-15-2009, 07:22 PM
So... I took 1,108 pictures in the last 4 days. You think that's enough to help me remember all those fuzzy memories I just made?

suprefan
06-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Maybe.

boarderwoozel3
06-15-2009, 07:38 PM
So... I took 1,108 pictures in the last 4 days. You think that's enough to help me remember all those fuzzy memories I just made?

Post them please, post haste :) Inquiring minds would like to see what you saw.

djandrews25
06-15-2009, 07:43 PM
you need to know that those fucking hippies eat far more rolls and acid than you do. :)

I beg to differ.

JSam67
06-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Before I hit the hay, I want to say that I think the best thing about the Roo (and there were plenty of things there that were better than Coachella) was that the crowds were the complete opposite of self-conscious. I went crazier at 3 Roo shows (Byrne, Phoenix, NIN) than any show I've ever seen at Coachella. Everyone goes nuts at damn near every set. Sooo much fun.

I love The Farm, can't wait to go back. The lineup is so unimportant it's crazy.

Miss you boardies already, still can't believe everything worked out so perfectly.

shotglass75
06-15-2009, 08:00 PM
LOL Josh. :) great fucking time!!!!!

BROKENDOLL
06-15-2009, 08:15 PM

Definitely sounds like you're still full of PLUR and glowing from the weekend!
Speaking of which...

hehe, this guy was in a blog on the bonnaroo site...
http://bonnaroo.com/uploaded/images/blog/glowman_330.jpg
http://bonnaroo.com/blog/55.aspx
Is this you in all your glory? Ooops! I mean, Glowy?

pancakespancakes
06-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Here's some more setlists from my memory... I would post them on inforoo but I don't have an account there.

The Mars Volta:
Goliath
Roulette Dares
Cotopaxi
Viscera Eyes
Lucisforms
Drunkship of Lanterns
Wax Simulacra
Cygnus Vismund Cygnus

Animal Collective:
Lion in a Coma
My Girls
Summertime Clothes
Guys Eyes
Slippi
Daily Routine
Fireworks
Brothersport

GRIZZLY BEAR (the show that stole the weekend):
Southern Point
Lullabye
Little Brother
Knife
Cheerleader
Fine For Now
Two Weeks
Ready, Able
While You Wait For The Others
I Live With You
On a Neck, On a Spit
something like that I think?

SoulDischarge
06-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Oh god I never appreciated a shower and a bed so much in my life.

Anyway, Bonnaroo is completely different from Coachella and you can't really get a sense of what it's actually like until you're in the thick of it. It's only a few steps away from total chaos. What few rules they have are more like suggestions. Most of the workers there are volunteers, so they only enforce things enough to make it seem like they're doing their job. Every time you go into Centeroo, you line up to get searched, and if the lines get long enough, typically, everyone starts chanting "Let us in!" and about half the time they just start letting everyone in without checking them at all. I forget who, but one of the board members said they saw someone in Centeroo whip it out and start pissing in the middle of Centeroo, not even against a wall or anything, and no one even gave them a second look. While the dirty hippies can be kind of annoying, chia is dead on about the crowds. The vast majority of people were friendly, enthusiastic and easy going. It was really easy moving through the crowds for sets, there was usually plenty of space to move around wherever you settled in, a lot of people sat between sets, even in the first couple of rows and no one made a big deal about it.

Bonnaroo is far more of a survival test than Coachella, especially since there's a tendency to push it since there's just so much excess everywhere.

I had a great weekend, but I still say the scheduling sucked pretty tremendously. My Friday was packed wall-to-wall with pretty much every set being a conflict, from 1:00pm to 3:00am. Saturday and Sunday I barely saw anything at all, maximum 4 bands a day (from exhaustion, trying to avoid the sun, bad drugs, overpacked tents, huge gaps in anything I wanted to see). Despite the shitty scheduling, I still had a great weekend. The sets I did really see were all pretty excellent, and, really, I'm pretty sure you can have a really good time at Bonnaroo without even seeing any bands.

David Byrne was definitely the highlight. I got center rail pretty much (pancakes was only a few people behind me too). The setlist was ridiculous (5 songs from Remain In Light???), the sound was pristine, Byrne was emitting pure joy throughout the whole set, the crowd was absolutely eating it up, dancing, singing along, the choreography of Byrne's dancers was all kinds of fun. If the Talking Heads never reunite, I can't say I'll be too disappointed because this show was everything I would want from a reunion set. Absolutely do not miss Byrne if you get the chance.

More to come later maybe. Great fucking festival.

boarderwoozel3
06-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Centeroo is the music grounds yeah?

Glad to hear such rave reviews! Sounds like a great time. And the lack of Southern California pretentiousness would be swell.

SoulDischarge
06-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Yeah. Centeroo is where all the tents and attractions are. It's open 24 hours. It's a lot smaller than Coachella, and way easier to get between stages. I didn't notice any soundbleed once all weekend too. The campgrounds are fucking huge though, and we're lucky we got relatively close (about 10 minutes from Centeroo entrance). Coming back to camp for an hour when you have down time is really refreshing.

I already miss everyone.

boarderwoozel3
06-15-2009, 09:08 PM
How was the overall production? Art installations, food, water, ease of mobility from stage to stage, does it feel like there are a billion people there, shade, scenery, etc.?

And please describe the typical Bonnaroo hippie. How many were actually there?

SoulDischarge
06-15-2009, 09:29 PM
I'd say overall, it was run much better than Coachella. Easier to get around, more accommodating to basic needs (free water refill stations, more port-a-potties that always seemed to be relatively clean, more shade + misting tents + mushroom water fountain, you were allowed to bring in your own food & water), way more freedom. Coachella beats Bonnaroo in the art department, hands down, although seeing the Bonnaroo walls getting gradually painted up over the weekend is really cool (people are fucking bitter about Kanye West there). The grounds are pretty nice, there's a good amount of trees. The grass isn't as nice and soft as the polo fields, so it's good to have some blankets to put down. Despite my frustrations with the scheduling and the unopposed headliners, I liked the longer set times. Some bands didn't really need them, but the typical set time was about 1:15. Since they have the capacity to run all night, I would like to see music start later in the day instead of making us stand around in the sun for no reason. The late night sets are a ton of fun. There were a whole fucking lot of people there, but because you can come and go from Centeroo to the campgrounds, it was usually never too packed in any place. I tried not to interact too much with the typical Bonnaroo hippie. They seemed to fulfill all the stereotypes though: glazed over stare, tie dye shirt, usually with Phish or Grateful Dead on them, natty dreads, a thick coating of grease. It's hard to overstate the drug situation there. You can pretty much do anything anywhere and not get hassled, and if you need something, you can probably find it in 5 minutes or just wait around for someone to wander by your campsite asking if anyone needs anything. There's very little security and they mostly stick to the main roads, just making sure things don't get out of hand, helping people who pass out, etc. I didn't hear anyone say "Hey man, put that away for a minute" until late Sunday night, and I think that was because of some security guards on a manhunt. The mud was pretty ridiculous, especially considering it only rained Thursday, but you got used to it. Showers are $7, so either have extra cash or be the type of person who can run around in humidity and mud for 4 days and not need to shower.

Also, Phish shattered absolutely none of my preconceived notions about them. What I saw of Boss Time, on the other hand, was a pleasant surprise. I can understand why he's revered as a performer. I'm too tired to get into specifics and I'm sure someone else will cover it in the 20 pages that will pop up while I'm asleep.

boarderwoozel3
06-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Sold. The structured freedom is extremely appealing and a well run event goes such a long way.

djandrews25
06-15-2009, 09:42 PM
The freedom does sound appealing.

Wheres the beef?
06-15-2009, 09:49 PM
...Showers are $7...

wooooooooooooooooooooooow

boarderwoozel3
06-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Sure $7 showers, but isn't camping included in a ticket that's already cheaper than Coachella? With more drugs, freedom and parties that actually do go all night (from what I hear). Sounds like a good time to me.

DocWalk
06-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Oh My God.
Oh my god.

Does anyone else feel like they have seriously halved their lifespan?

jennygirl
06-15-2009, 10:07 PM
I am finally back from the roo... wow what a weekend! It was great hanging with you guys there!

I still love my Coachella over Bonnaroo, but I don't know it's kind of like comparing apples to oranges. My personal highlight was one of the best Beastie Boys sets I've seen of 20something shows. Those of you who caught it def saw something special. Then going from Bboys into Public Enemy almost made my head explode! That NIN show though... sigh, it was so bittersweet and I feel honored to have been there. The 'Thank You Trent' chant at the end of the show sent goose bumps throughout my body. I am barely coherent at the moment and astonished I have the energy to type this. Anyhow, again, great seeing you all... you were all wonderful relief from the effin hippies.

suprefan
06-15-2009, 10:12 PM
wooooooooooooooooooooooow

Ok, you have to pay for showers at Sasquatch also, whats the big deal about this.

fikus222
06-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Ok, you have to pay for showers at Sasquatch also, whats the big deal about this.

At Sasquatch the showers are free...$7 is a bit much for a shower though.

Wheres the beef?
06-15-2009, 10:39 PM

Well I dont go to Sasquatch soo............whats your point?

apostle2
06-15-2009, 11:17 PM
After a 13 hour drive, I'm back home. I'm really, really glad that everyone seemed to have a great time, I'm excited to read what the rest of the group thought. For myself, it was the same as usual - best and quickest weekend of my year.

NIN DOMINATED. I mean really, it was my third show in 6 months, and this one just blew the other two (fantastic) shows out of the water. rounding out my top five would probably be wilco, byrne, bon iver, and phoenix, but I wouldn't call any set I saw less than Very Good.

Also, I'm pissed at my self for letting time get away and not finding camp bonnacrew sooner.

TommyboyUNM
06-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Just got home not too long ago. Another great weekend at Bonnaroo. :)

The highlights of my weekend were Nine Inch Nails, Grizzly Bear, Rodrigo y Gabriela, The Dirty Projectors, Beastie Boys, David Byrne and DJ HawkingvsReeve.

Grizzly Bear was probably the tightest band that I saw all weekend. It just sounded so crisp. Everything they do on record, they replicate live. I completely lost my shit when Nine Inch Nails played Reptile. That entire set/atmosphere was pretty fucking magical. I had a pretty strong pot brownie during the set and that almost took me to a bad place, but the set list was great and helped me out of it.

The surprise of the weekend, for me, was The Dirty Projectors. The rave we threw during Phish on Sunday night also surprised me. We went all night and a lot of strangers from the campground showed up and danced with us. The drugs and overall freedom are wild. This fest is all about being laid back and doing what you want.

It's really funny to read all the misconceptions about Bonnaroo from people who have never gone. You really just need to go to know what it's all about. You can't just look at pics and decide you can then compare it to Coachella. It's a stupid comparison anyway. Bonnaroo doesn't have a lot of EDM, but why should they? That's not what they do. They still, though, throw people a few bones.

Pics soon. I'm tired.

faxman75
06-15-2009, 11:49 PM
I don't have much to say. I have to get up for work early but what a fantastic fucking weekend :) I :pulse you guys.

I'll give more insight tomorrow once my brain adjusts.

BROKENDOLL
06-16-2009, 12:18 AM
Welcome back, you guys! Now I have a general idea of how a mother must feel when her kids come back from Summer Camp! Relieved they returned safely, glad they had a good time, and aware that once they've settled down, they'll start bickering again and life will be back to normal here on the board...:rolleyes
Can't wait for pics and Tales of PLUR after your naps!

feather
06-16-2009, 05:10 AM
Get home at 1am to a text from the boss saying I need to open and come in at 6am. YAY another day of no sleep.

HOPE EVERYONE IS GETTING HOME OKAY!!! What a weekend.

scoop49er
06-16-2009, 05:31 AM
last year i tried to compare coachella and bonnaroo but in all honesty, u cant...

the only thing that connects them is both festivals have solid lineups every year..

other than that the camping, the crowd, the vibe, the setup, everything is different and thats a good thing..

they are both great festivals and thats the bottom line........ :)

suprefan
06-16-2009, 05:33 AM
Well I dont go to Sasquatch soo............whats your point?

Stop complaining about such mundane things. Let them make you pay for a shower, they see it as a paid commodity, not as a freebie at their festivals.

feather
06-16-2009, 05:35 AM
I didn't shower all weekend!!! :thu

Scooper I totally agree, they cannot be compared. I tried, and we all brought up aspects of Coachella at the Roo, but they both are amazing in different respects.

canexplain
06-16-2009, 05:41 AM
Well I don’t expect everyone to come back and say the roo is better the Coachella or really visa versa. I think now that you have gone to both; you can see how the comparisons are hard. Sure they are both destination summer rock and roll festivals. From there on, it’s like comparing New York City to San Francisco. I am glad to see all the positive comments about the roo ….. cr****

Ardentbiscuit
06-16-2009, 05:47 AM
There's really no point to compare any of the festivals/events.

They are all so varied...

jennygirl
06-16-2009, 06:10 AM
Here's my flickr set of Beastie Boys at Bonnaroo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/xxxxxjenny/sets/72157619732474825/)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3619/3632166756_46d8a3e9d7.jpg?v=0

faxman75
06-16-2009, 06:46 AM
Stop complaining about such mundane things. Let them make you pay for a shower, they see it as a paid commodity, not as a freebie at their festivals.

For the second time in this thread. You do NOT have to pay for showers at Sasquatch.

amyzzz
06-16-2009, 07:02 AM
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Cm-V0dNScN0/SjejixBU_AI/AAAAAAAAABw/g7_nGb4wqdM/s800/DSC02493.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Cm-V0dNScN0/Sjel26O7EGI/AAAAAAAAAFU/BOb6rfD_pII/s800/DSC02544.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Cm-V0dNScN0/SjelkLiklUI/AAAAAAAAACo/TL9aXCntcbs/s800/DSC02464.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Cm-V0dNScN0/Sjel-_9r88I/AAAAAAAAAGg/CRbrXCbJ1aI/s800/DSC02589.JPG

I'M BACK! I love everyone, and I am glad I was able to survive through the weekend with everyone's help. We were all able to camp together and help each other out. I hope everyone posts as many pics as possible because as usual, I ended up not taking very many group pics because I am a dork, so PLEASE POST PICS.

This was my great idea to paint our cars so we could keep all of our group camping together:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Cm-V0dNScN0/Sjeljxwz4uI/AAAAAAAAACk/vv-RcxgrSSQ/s800/DSC02463.JPG

My tops were NIN,

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Cm-V0dNScN0/Sjel_n4WNKI/AAAAAAAAAGs/hsRbmeVRRGw/s800/DSC02611.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Cm-V0dNScN0/SjemADV2-nI/AAAAAAAAAG0/9XPcOuhvHr0/s800/DSC02613.JPG

AMAZING RENDITION OF HURT with people's lighters which I just could not capture well with my camera --there's a light-up hula hoop in there too.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Cm-V0dNScN0/SjemAqvWBwI/AAAAAAAAAG4/eA2uyw-lWT4/s800/DSC02615.JPG

Grizzly Bear,

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Cm-V0dNScN0/Sjel11o20sI/AAAAAAAAAFM/IpGzcXuF1CI/s800/DSC02539.JPG

Phoenix, R y G, and the freakin African bands Amadou and Mariam, and Femi Kuti.

My surprises were Erykah Badu and Snoop Dogg who were A LOT more entertaining than I expected -- I just saw them to hang out with everyone else ("now say 'Hey' real quiet like the police are coming 'hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey' FUCK the police "HEY, HEY, HEY, HEY, HEY, HEY!").

And Brandon was excellent Sunday night.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Cm-V0dNScN0/SjemI1MrCzI/AAAAAAAAAIQ/RvYjOvnT8F8/s800/DSC02686.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Cm-V0dNScN0/SjemKO880RI/AAAAAAAAAIY/mNYKRgVxchk/s800/DSC02688.JPG

According to Brandon, Oakenfold was a joke but I was too busy rolling and laughing at Barbara's antics (she took 20 people's shirts off including a couple girls' and smacking everyone's ass with big glow sticks) to notice the awfulness. Brandon kept looking over at me and rolling his eyes.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Cm-V0dNScN0/Sjel923pdPI/AAAAAAAAAGY/eXRTV071mss/s800/DSC02584.JPG

I'm so glad the weather dried up after Thursday because after drizzling and raining on and off during the day, the skies opened up after dusk and just poured sheets and sheets of rain and lightning down. I was exhausted BEFORE the rain came down and managed to remain safe in my tent during the storm, and poor Barbara crawled inside around 10pm (?) completely demoralized and miserable in her bikini and poncho wanting go home.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Cm-V0dNScN0/SjellqEYkhI/AAAAAAAAAC4/y0uHe2DPeyc/s800/DSC02472.JPG

However, she really wanted to see Passion Pit and asked me if I would go with her -- one of the best decisions I made that weekend. We went to see Passion Pit in the muddy and flooded This Tent -- Barbara danced in 4 or 5 inches of water with various other people, then we wandered over to the Arcade Discotheque to meet up with Dylan and Sophia -- I don't know who the DJ was who played there, but we had a great time dancing. It was the only stage that reminded us of the Sahara with cool big green globes and disco lights inside, plus couches to rest on and video games to play.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Cm-V0dNScN0/SjelreKz3dI/AAAAAAAAADs/RfrljJ3Lrlg/s800/DSC02499.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Cm-V0dNScN0/Sjelr19kMOI/AAAAAAAAADw/rD-X60RclDQ/s800/DSC02500.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Cm-V0dNScN0/SjelsPBPpdI/AAAAAAAAAD0/m0wQxxMhl3s/s800/DSC02504.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Cm-V0dNScN0/SjeltdM4QFI/AAAAAAAAAEA/2HJLDU520kI/s800/DSC02511.JPG

More pics and stories to come. :)

faxman75
06-16-2009, 07:33 AM
I had a great time. I would go again and that's the bottom line but it would depend on the lineup. Bands I saw this weekend.

Thursday: Ate a pot brownie. Game over. I saw one band. The Knux. I don't remember anything about them. We scored by managing to keep all 8 or 9 of our cars together on the way in minus Gonsh and his buddies thought they tried to stick with us. The line into the fest and to camping was maybe a couple hours at most. Our camp spot was in "Ferris Buehler" right off of 3rd Ave. and maybe a 10 minute walk to the festival entrance.

Thursday night it stormed. Friday and Saturday were hot and muggy.

Friday:

St. Vincent- B+/ Played a great sounding set but finished 20 minutes early. Not sure why it ended early other than maybe she wasn't prepared with enough material but the set was heavy on the "Actor" tracks which was ok by me.

Yeah Yeah yeahs - A/ Another great set almost as good as the Tempe set we got earlier in the week. It was really hot, muggy and the lawn by the which stage was full of mud but they put on a great show.

Grizzly Bear - (no grade) Only saw the last couple songs but I felt like I missed something amazing when I walked up to that tent. The quaint setting on the smaller change with perfect sound and wonderful harmonies. A beautiful afternoon set and for many the set of the day.

Movie Tent - The heat go to me so I retreated and watched a doumentay on the evil bottled water industry. It was good. I then wanted to catch some Al Green.

Al Green - (no rating) I saw about 20 minutes of his set. Al still has it and sounded great. I think he wore a suit but I didn't recognize any of the songs I heard.

Beastie Boys - A / They impressed me. I'm glad I decided last minute to check them out for at least a litle bit. I saw the first part of the show up until the end of the song they did with the special guest Naz. It was hard for me to leave. I heard Sure Shot, Body Movin, no sleep til' brooklyn and others I am blanking on at the moment but they fuckin' rocked.

David Byrne- A/ David sure made it easy to not feel so bad about leaving the Beasties set. He puts on a hell of a show. Once in a lifetime and burning down the house were songs I wanted to hear him do live in my lifetime heh and I did. He has a load of energy and his stage show is choreographed with dancers. At one point I was standing between the main stage and the Which stage and I heard Beatie Boys Sabotage going while Byrne was doing Once In a Lifetime. That was a pretty cool moment hearing two legends doing their classics.

Phoenix- A+/ First late night set of the fest for me. They started after 11:00Pm and Lisztomania. As I walked up everyone was dancing and having a blast. I watched these guys pretty much rip through the entire Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix album and the crowd ate up every second of it. These frenchies are the real effing deal.

By the end of their set I was exhausted and couldn't go anymore. I heard Public Enemy put on a bomb set though.

Saturday:

I only saw like 3 acts on this day but man, these were the THREE that got me to my first Bonnaroo.

First up

Rodrigo y Gabriela- A-/ They sounded fantastic and treated the crowd to a couple new songs as well. It was hot as fuck while they played in the afternoon but the music was beautiful and the crowd danced, cheered and clapped through a set that was heavy on their classic tunes with some recently recorded tracks mixed in. As usual their cover of "Orion" was a crowd favorite. They for some reason also ended their set about 20 minutes early. Long sets are fantastic at Bonnaroo when they actually happened. I was kind of disapointed in them not filling up their whole time slot.

Wilco- A/ I managed to get into the pet and be on the rail near the center. I could have watched them play for 4 hours. Their setlist was light on the new material. They opened with "Wilco" the song and played One Wing and Bull Black Nova from the new one all of which sounded great. I don't really like Wilco the song though. It was heavy in Sky Blue Sky, A Ghost is Born and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot material with only a song each from Being There and Summerteeth. This set just built momentum all the through and hearing them do California Stars again was great. It all led to a shredding war between Nels Clyne and Pat Sansone at the end.

NIN (late night) A ++/ This show was built up and hpyed so much in my mind I didn't see how it was possible to meet the expectations I had but oh man it DID. The setting was surreal. The Which stage slowly filled over the 2+ hours of silence on the stage while lights and smoke were tested throughout. All setting up for an ominous final show for Trent Reznor. They played passed 3:00am and had the perfect mix of sound, energy and emotion. I simply wanted them to keep playing. The Day the Whole World Went away was almost surreal as I watched the smoke sit still above the stage. He could not have waved goodbye to North America (LA show in September or not?) in a more perfect way and it was easily the most memorable NIN show I have ever seen.

Who could go watch MGMT after that? WHO?! Not me.

Sunday:

At this point I was exhausted. I got little sleep the night before because of the NIN late night set.

Dillenger Escape Plan ( no grade ) If you like speed/death metal these guys would be right up your ally. I enjoyed them joining NIN and doing Wish the night before and went to their set based on that but they certainly weren't for me and I only lasted about 1 song before I GTFO.

Erykah Badu-(no grade) I didn't see enough of her set to grade her. i will say she looked super dope in her PE hoodie again but aside from that, she played the diva role and hit the stage about 35 minutes late. I watched 2 songs from the pit and they sounded really good but I had other music to see and her late start ruined any enjoyment I could have had.

Okkervil River- A/ What a great show. These guys are a lot of fun and they sounded awesome. I'm only mildly familiar with their ablum as I have listened to it about a dozen times but really enjoy it and live they are even better. I only saw 1 song of thiers at Coachella so this made up for it. If they come to a city near you and you like indie rock, then don't miss these guys.

Neko Case - B+/ I really enjoy Neko. Her Blacklisted tracks like "deep red bells" were a highlite for me. I love her more recent albums as well but she shines on the Blacklisted stuff especially. Triumph the insult puppet dog joined her on stage and they did a duet. I didn't care for it but the crowd seemed to enjoy it. To me it grinded the mood of the set to a halt. It's been interesting to watch Neko evolve live over the years. I'm not sure she's completely found the best fit as of yet. She has another lady on stage to harmonize and do backing vocals with, i'm not sure who she is but I didn't care for her talking between the songs. either way, i love Neko's voice and her songs that seem to put you in a time and place. Neko is passionate about music and love which resonates through the rich themes of her songs.

Overall I liked the fest.

Polo grounds >> Tennessee grass
Liberal drugs policy and "safety enforcment" >>> Coachella security
Late night sets = Win!
Bonnaroo is much larger and has far more entertainment options, it's like a giant carnival within a typical music fest.

I paid $7 for a shower on the last night and it was well worth it. The rest of the weekend I just kept clean with wipes and disolvable shampoo and such. Not a big deal. I prefer Coachella but there are certainly things I would like to see Coachella adopt from Bonnaroo. Both are run really well for the sizeable crowds that they get.
Coachella Weather >> Bonnaroo Weather

This was really a great weekend and so much fun to organzie and prepare for. Our preparation had to make things as great as it was.

Huge props to Chia and Hawkings for putting on and pulling off successfully a RAVE in the middle of the campground. People danced for hours and there was so much PLUR. From the decorations to the sound it really was a success and a fantastic way to cap off a fun weekend with awesome friends. :D

feather
06-16-2009, 07:42 AM
TIMELESS TRANCE!!!

I can't wait to post pictures when I get home.

paulb
06-16-2009, 08:23 AM
BONNAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

What a fuckin amazing time! I had a blast with everyone, loved the bands and environment! Ya.....pot brownies were the story of the day for Thursday....

Beastie Boys totally killed it... heres the setlist if anyone is interested:

1. Mix Master Mike Intro
2. Time For Livin'
3. Super Disco Breakin'
4. Sure Shot
5. No Sleep Till Brooklyn
6. Shake Your Rump
7. Gratitude
8. Sabrosa
9. Egg Raid On Mojo
10. Body Movin'
11. Pass The Mic
12. Root Down
13. Too Many Rappers
14. Paul Revere
15. Ricky's Theme
16. Something's Got To Give
17. Tough Guy
18. Remote Control
19. So What'Cha Want
20. Mix Master Mike Interlude
21. Intergalactic
22. Three MC's And One DJ
23. Heart Attack Man
24. Sabotage

TommyboyUNM
06-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Wow, so I only missed 3 Beasties songs and still had time to catch 1 hour of Byrne. I think it was an hour. Brandon may have to clarify this for me, since he hung out with me for Beasties/Byrne. The 2cb was kicking in during Byrne. Fantastic show.

faxman75
06-16-2009, 08:41 AM
For those that saw Phish at Bonnaroo!

Hey everyone, I'm a first and foremost a fan of Phish but I am admittedly
also a member of Assembly of Dust's street team. Forgive the intrusion. If
you don't already know AOD they are giving away the track ³Arc of the Sun²
featuring Mike Gordon (of Phish) on their site http://www.aodust.com Its
worth giving a listen to! AOD is giving away a new track every Tuesday until
July 14th featuring artists like Jerry Douglas, John Scofield, Richie
Havens, Al Schnier and more! Again sorry if this feels spammy but I was
eager to share the news.
-Lynn

No forgiveness. Just go die. It feels spammy because it is. You are a member of a street team and came here to spam. Never return. Thank you. :pulse

faxman75
06-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Wow, so I only missed 3 Beasties songs and still had time to catch 1 hour of Byrne. I think it was an hour. Brandon may have to clarify this for me, since he hung out with me for Beasties/Byrne. The 2cb was kicking in during Byrne. Fantastic show.

Awesome. I didn't realize I caught half the set. i saw the first 12 songs. Beaties to Byrne was full of so much win!

sbessiso
06-16-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm so sore and sun burnt but this was easily my best Bonnaroo. BOSS TIME! was fucking insane.

I didnt have the NIN experience everyone else did, I saw about an hour and 10 minutes and left to go walk around Centeroo. After catching a bit of moe. and Ben Harper we made our way over to the packed ass tent that was MGMT. Since no one else seems to have seen them like I did I have to say

MGMT FUCKING ROCKED

From the band that I saw at Coachella last year to when they opened for Beck to now, the change is mind blowing. They are a force to be reckoned with and I just cannot believe how hard they rocked. The tent was so packed but somehow we were able to make our way to the front area. Hell Yeah!

Beasties were exactly what a Beasties show is and always should be. PARTY PARTY PARTY. I never saw the stage once and barely caught anything on the screen I was too busy dancing.

YYYs blew Coachella out of the water. Cant even compare the two sets. I got to hear Rockers to Swallow! Holy shit it sounded so good! They were all in such a good mood and I eve saw Nick smile! Twice!!

Did I mention that BOSS TIME! was fucking nuts?

Worst band of the weekend was Animal Collective. I was in such a grumpy mood that whole set, I nearly fucking died I was so bored. I'm officially 100% done with this band.

It was so great camping with you guys and im glad I got to combine my friends! They all had a blast with everyone!

I know im forgetting stuff but whatever! I took lots of pics so thats coming sooooooon

sbessiso
06-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Oh yeah, leaving BBoys during the last song, walking and turning the corner and having "Sabotage" melt into "Once in a Lifetime" was fucking beautiful. It was like walking into Heaven and Byrne was greeting us. Ive seen Byrne before so I have no guilt.

SoulDischarge
06-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Get home at 1am to a text from the boss

Springsteen has your number??

BOSS TIME was really fucking fun. I legitimately enjoyed some of his songs. He seemed like he was having a great time on stage. Then he let the crazy slip out. At some point he started ranting about how we weren't there to listen to music, but to build a house. A house of love, a house of sorrow, a house of sexual healing. A little bit later he announced that it was request time before proclaiming "It's too fucking hot for Santa Claus!" He then proceeded to perform a full on rendition of "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" complete with sax solo. At the end of another song he started screaming "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" and then would hold out the microphone for the audience to do the same, going back and forth for a couple of minutes. Springsteen is one eccentric motherfucker.

I think I still prefer Coachella at this point, but like it has been said by everyone else, it's hard to compare the two. If you could combine aspects of both, you would probably end up with the perfect outdoor festival.

boarderwoozel3
06-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Oh yeah, leaving BBoys during the last song, walking and turning the corner and having "Sabotage" melt into "Once in a Lifetime" was fucking beautiful. It was like walking into Heaven and Byrne was greeting us. Ive seen Byrne before so I have no guilt.

Too. Fucking. Cool.

What a combination!

Kid B
06-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Anyone have a TMV set list or was it the same as their show in Valencia?

herro kitty
06-16-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm going to Disneyland right now, but I just wanted to pop in and say...

You guys made my weekend fucking awesome. I am so glad we were able to stick together and rock out together :) Amy, you my boo!! :pulse

I'll write a Roo review soon. But let me just say, DJ HvR was my favorite set of the weekend :) !!

boarderwoozel3
06-16-2009, 09:17 AM
So Bonnacrew, is Bonnaroo Coachella-like in the sense that you buy advance tickets without knowing the lineup and go every year because it's guaranteed to be an amazing experience every time?

(Please note that's not meant to be a direct comparison but an overall festival experience reference point.)

Sexecutioner
06-16-2009, 09:18 AM
damn, i should have gone to the roo instead of coachella this year. i liked the lineup better, it's just hard to justify the plane ticket when i can drive a couple hours for coachella instead. glad you kids had fun!

faxman75
06-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Oh and the drugs. They are everywhere and they have everything. It's more liberal than amsterdam from what I could tell. I saw cocaine, 2cb, extacy, opium, hash, weed, acid and mushrooms both w/ and w/o chocolate on them. I'm sure there was even more than that. That place was mad crazy over run by drugs but in no way shape or form do you need to drugs to enjoy that fest. I like the movie and comedy tent options though i never stepped foot in the comedy tent.

Coachella has my heart and here are some minor roo complaints. Keep in mind I have Coachella compaints too.

Full sets are nice but some bands ended short or started late. Miss Badu, St. Vincent and Rodrigo and Gabriela to be specific.

The lineup will always look awesome when it comes out but expect conflicts to slash a good number of the bands you want to see off your list. No two ways about it. I went in wanting to see. Conflicts cost me Grizzly Bear, Band of Horses, TV on the Radio, Elvis Costello, Bon Iver, Lucinda Williams, Of Montreal and Jenny Lewis at the very least.

The weather. I was not a big fan of the Tennesee heat. If they want to keep it in Tennesee make it in October. :)

I will say bonnaroo has more food and entertainment options. The stage layouts are fair though the hike from the main stage to "that other tent" was a bit of a trek. Water was plentiful and free if you had a water bottle or if the line was too long the prices varied from 2.50-3.00 a bottle. The campground was full of vendors and stuff to do at Bonnaroo as well. Coachella has gotten better over the years in this area too though.

It's going to be difficult not to do Coachella, Sasquatch and Bonnaroo again next year. From what I can tell they are the top 3 fests in the country and I like them all.

ED GEIN
06-16-2009, 09:22 AM

You can get set lists for the majority of shows over on the Bonnaroo website on the right hand side.

SoulDischarge
06-16-2009, 09:23 AM
So Bonnacrew, is Bonnaroo Coachella-like in the sense that you buy advance tickets without knowing the lineup and go every year because it's guaranteed to be an amazing experience every time?

(Please note that's not meant to be a direct comparison but an overall festival experience reference point.)

I don't think I'm quite there yet. The scheduling really fucked me this year. If Friday's lineup had been spread out over the course of the weekend I would feel like I got more out of it musically. The only reason I really enjoyed Saturday and Sunday is because of the environment and the people I was with. I trust Coachella to provide a better lineup regardless, so I think jumping into Bonnaroo takes a little more consideration and outside factors. At this point, no, not quite.

faxman75
06-16-2009, 09:24 AM
I don't think I'm quite there yet. The scheduling really fucked me this year. If Friday's lineup had been spread out over the course of the weekend I would feel like I got more out of it musically. The only reason I really enjoyed Saturday and Sunday is because of the environment and the people I was with. I trust Coachella to provide a better lineup regardless, so I think jumping into Bonnaroo takes a little more consideration and outside factors. At this point, no, not quite.

THIS

Coachella is probably the only fest I will get tickets to no matter what every single year. The others have to show me a some great bands first. I need to see their hand.

boarderwoozel3
06-16-2009, 09:36 AM
I see. Thank you for the insight gentlemen. It's my mission to make it next year but the degree of reckless abandon I pursue that goal with depends a bit on the reviews in this thread.

canexplain
06-16-2009, 09:36 AM
woooo peeeee , glad everyone had a great time at that dirty hippy fest :) .... yea i have never come here and bash coachella (except the no in and outs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) because i like the music more at coachella but the atmosphere better at the roo ... told you guys there was going to be drugs all over the place ...waka was the same way ... again, its those dirty hippys :) .... cr****

paulb, i left you a message here .... my cell took an overnight water bath at a fest and i cant text at all so when you texted me, i couldnt reply.... i also cant delete any of my messages, wonder if it fills up ??

Geno_g
06-16-2009, 09:41 AM
I plan on making it to the farm next year, I've wanted to go since my friend has been going, he goes to the roo, I go to coachella, I want to see him there to shock him...

sbessiso
06-16-2009, 09:41 AM
I see. Thank you for the insight gentlemen. It's my mission to make it next year but the degree of reckless abandon I pursue that goal with depends a bit on the reviews in this thread.

Jeff please, listen to me. You will have the time of your life. But keep on reading these reviews if you must. Once again I never had to leave my chair or campsite to get ALL the drugs I needed/wanted.

Thursday-Three of us burned through a gram of molly
Friday- snow, 2cb (thanks Amy!), rolls
Saturday-4 hits of acid, 2 molly capsules, loooooots of whip its courtesy of Starbucks. Even peer pressured Dylan to do one!!
Sunday-Delicious choco covered mushrooms

Oh yeah another thing!! I saw ALLLLLLL of Phish on Sunday night. Every last second. I'm so proud of myself!

miSTEVEious
06-16-2009, 09:49 AM
WOW what an amazing weekend. I txtd mark on sunday to find the rave, and I am now 100% sure that I walked by because the music was blaring (about 1:45 am sunday)? I was on my way from my camp (tent only - incredible) to our friends outpost in egon spencer (aka camp far as fuck), which took us right by bueler/3rd ave. Oh well..when I walked back to tent only at 6 am I didn't hear anything haha. Not sure if I went back the same way though, I went to check out Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad.

Incredible weekend! I thought phish was amazing! Best Birthday Ever! (Sunday). Sorry I didn't call you earlier but I only get to see all that group of friends from Florida once a year. That was fuckin amazing. Trolling is officially the best combo ever. What a crazy place jesus.

OH and Mark if you were on the rail during wilco I am 100% sure I saw you on the jumbo trons. Early-ish in the set. I LOVED the wilco set - that was my perfect set list, except for the lack of I'm A Wheel. TVOTR, Byrne, Phish, all were amazing.

Wheres the beef?
06-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Geez. All you guys talk about is the drugs. Wasn't there music or something else going on? :cat

faxman75
06-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Hey Steve. I responded to your text, not sure if you saw it. I was in fact on the jumbo tron as some chick behind me far more excited about it screamed it in my ear :lool

Just remember the camera adds 50 lbs. Great show and it was not difficult to get front and center for Wilco which was great.

sbessiso
Oh and by the way, I was no where near The Decemberists at Bonnaroo you fuckers. Dylanja asked me at some point if I was there too. What an offensive question! Its like asking if I was at The Mars Volta

faxman75
Geez. All you guys talk about is the drugs. Wasn't there music or something else going on? :cat

:nono

faxman75
06-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Oh and by the way, I was no where near The Decemberists at Bonnaroo you fuckers. Dylanja asked me at some point if I was there too. What an offensive question! Its like asking if I was at The Mars Volta

Ah, that's another set I was upset I missed due to conflicts. The Decemberists were fucking awesome at Sasquatch.

Wheres the beef?
06-16-2009, 09:58 AM
I can't believe you missed Grizzly Bear. Apparently it was quite the performance. This keyboard-jockey would know.

suprefan
06-16-2009, 09:58 AM

ventura you mean. pancakes posted theirs and others. go back a page or 2.

sooooooo, do i need to invade manchester one year?

BROKENDOLL
06-16-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm going to Disneyland right now, but I just wanted to pop in and say...

You guys made my weekend fucking awesome. I am so glad we were able to stick together and rock out together :) Amy, you my boo!! :pulse

I'll write a Roo review soon. But let me just say, DJ HvR was my favorite set of the weekend :) !!
Going to Disneyland??? Damn, it sounds like you just got back from there!!! :thu You're as tough as the Energizer Bunny, there's no doubt in my mind! LOL It didn't sound like there was much EDM offered, and I wondered how you guys were gonna get by, but it definitely sounds like there was still plenty of dancing! Psst, what I really want to know is how and when you finally mentioned to your parents that you were headed off on a 4-day "trip & slumber party?" (Or, "Stumbler Party?")

SFChrissy
06-16-2009, 10:16 AM
congratulations to all you roo survivors...I don't think I have the stamina to do the roo...my hardcore days were over in the late 90's...but damn did I go off like a motherfucker!!!

canexplain
06-16-2009, 10:22 AM
congratulations to all you roo survivors...I don't think I have the stamina to do the roo...my hardcore days were over in the late 90's...but damn did I go off like a motherfucker!!!

thats funny .... try a week at waka, then stright to the roo, then back home and a week later a local fest ... thats not hardcore, but it does take it out of you after 3 weeks or so on the road camping and doing fests .... cr****

bmack86
06-16-2009, 10:29 AM
From this thread I gather that Beastie Boys and David Byrne were both amazing, that Grizzly Bear was as fantastic as they can be, that Dirty Projectors and Phoenix were both great surprises, and that people seem to have cared about letting us know what drugs they took at least as much as what shows they saw.

Beasties/Byrne would have pissed me off so bad that I would have been grumpy for days.

canexplain
06-16-2009, 10:34 AM
grumpier :) cr****

SoulDischarge
06-16-2009, 10:34 AM
There were some very unfortunate conflicts, but none of them lead to wrong decisions. Yeah Yeah Yeahs were at the very top of their game and I don't feel bad about missing Grizzly Bear for them since I'll get my chance at Pitchfork. And you wouldn't have time to be upset up the Byrne/Beasties conflict because you'd be too busy rushing around, coming down from whichever set you saw, catching top rate sets from Femi Kuti and Public Enemy. If the rest of the weekend had been like Friday, I don't think I could have handled it.

bmack86
06-16-2009, 10:39 AM
I think i would have been more grumpy getting home and seeing both setlists and thinking, fuck that, I want to be like multiplicity and have multiple mes.

I thought that when I was on my flight on friday and not in tennessee.

JSam67
06-16-2009, 10:41 AM
I agree with Patrick wholeheartedly. The Yeahs were the very best I've seen them, I have no regrets about waiting to see Grizzly Bear next month at P4K. And Byrne was one of the best concerts of my life, so I definitely don't feel bad about missing the Beasties. Didn't think I had anything left that night but Phoenix fucking used up every last bit of it.

Yeah, Patrick, thank goodness the other days weren't so intense. Don't know how I'd have lasted. I basically did nothing on Sunday as it was. Still can't believe how great NIN were, and how amazing our proximity was (feather, Dylan, shotglass).

And bmack, I think the drugs are discussed because none of us newbies could believe just how abundant they were. I was offered just about everything in the book without ever leaving my tent. Multiple times. The freedom is just something else.

SoulDischarge
06-16-2009, 10:45 AM
My phone is finally alive again, thank god.

miSTEVEious
06-16-2009, 10:45 AM
roo > 10 coachellas

and grizzly bear was fuckin awesome! as was bon iver.

shotglass75
06-16-2009, 10:51 AM
http://bonnaroo.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=downloads&action=display&thread=19012

Al Green 2009-06-12
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525951

Band of Horses 2009-06-14
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525966

Beastie Boys 2009-06-12
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525870

Booker T and the DBTs 2009-06-13
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525947

David Grisman Quintet 2009-06-13
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525887

Gov't Mule 2009-06-13
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525944

Nine Inch Nails 2009-06-13
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525919

Phish 2009-06-12
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525871

Phish 2009-06-14
1) http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525938
2) http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525933

Portugal the Man 2009-06-11
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525830

Wilco 2009-06-13
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525946

ED GEIN
06-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Mars Volta set here
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z1T6RYES

boarderwoozel3
06-16-2009, 10:59 AM
roo > 10 coachellas

and grizzly bear was fuckin awesome! as was bon iver.

Can you elaborate on why you feel that way--the 'roo v Coachella part? Making your musical & festival tastes known would help to put it in context as well. Many thanks and it's great to hear everyone so happy about this weekend.

(Totally not hostile, I'm just trying to get a good idea of 'roo before attending)

faxman75
06-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Awesome run down Shotglass. Great meeting you and chatting up festivals man. I started downloading the NIN show last night and tonight I will add the Wilco show.

slurpee
06-16-2009, 11:03 AM
In the words of Ricky......

"I todaso, I fuckin atodaso"

faxman75
06-16-2009, 11:05 AM
roo > 10 coachellas

I can understand thinking they are equel and also people who like the Roo better but your equation is silly. There are definitely things that Coachella does a lot better.

Coachella seems to have the better lineup year after year for my tatse. Coahcella has beautfy to it that Bonnaroo will never touch like the pristine green grasses of the polo fields and the lack of humidity and brilliant art and organization of things.

Bonnaroo has longer set times and is 24 hours with ins and outs. There are pros and cons to both festivals but still....nothing beats Coachella and the permagrin that doesn't seem to leave my face even when it's hot as fuck.

sbessiso
06-16-2009, 11:08 AM
I also eat my words. Sushy is a very nice and pleasant guy! I was terrified of him the first day so I hid whenever I saw him but that soon passed.

I got to see pancakes TWICE! Hurray! Even got a picture. Feather is right, cutiepie of Bonnaroo

shotglass75
06-16-2009, 11:10 AM
you too dude, good times. the NIN boot sounds pretty great and brought me back, the Band of Horses set just choked me up. DAMMIT!!!!!

Aphxtwinin
06-16-2009, 11:11 AM
finally back! I was super happy to meet all of you! Feathers: thank you so much for the bracelet it actually means a lot to me and i will cherish it for years to come! im sorry i did not make it to the bonnarave but i was way to exhausted to make it back to your side of the campgrounds, i barely made it to my own.

sbessiso
06-16-2009, 11:13 AM
shotglass! BOSS TIME! was fucking insane, im so glad we all got to experience it. I'm trying to upload my pics now

scoop49er
06-16-2009, 11:14 AM

i would say yes....

the last 2 years i have gone its been last minute so ive had to eat huge flight prices and upper tier ticket costs... its just a great festival and worth the hassle of the heat and camping and everything else.. its a experience..

plus i like it cuz its 2 months after coachella and their lineup is never going back to all jam bands and shit like that.. they are going to continue to expand and will have big headliners every year.... bonnaroo and coachella are the big dogs in the u.s. festival market and i dont think im gonna miss a roo for a while! :)

sbessiso
06-16-2009, 11:17 AM
I have a very strong feeling theyre going to think twice about getting an act like BOSS TIME! again. The crowd was shockingly small, I couldnt fucking believe it

slurpee
06-16-2009, 11:17 AM
There was multiple rave parties popping off in the camping area.

A band camping by my area in pod 1 had DJs with a full sound system till 9 am Sunday morning and ran till about 5 am Monday morning. They basically said "fuck everyone camping around us. It is Bonnaroo".

Mr. Dylanja
06-16-2009, 11:18 AM
There's not much to say so here are some pics...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2472/3633435188_419854205e.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3310/3632626427_f1bc442711.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3358/3632625127_56f0ffbe8f.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3412/3632621437_b06ebf1bd9.jpg?v=0
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2463/3633432400_113a30faf8.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3374/3633427056_8b44a6f23d.jpg?v=0
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2444/3632613407_def135a86e.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3382/3632610879_9595e4ee52.jpg?v=0

Some random fools I bumped into... :D
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3370/3633425316_aab6657b13.jpg?v=0

sbessiso
06-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Didnt we take a picture together, D$?

Mr. Dylanja
06-16-2009, 11:20 AM

sbessiso
06-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Yes we did you liar. I remember posing for it and thinking "whoa, he's actually taking a picture!". I have a couple pics of you that might make me look maybe creepy but what would you expect with me as a neighbor? Soon to come

boarderwoozel3
06-16-2009, 11:22 AM
It seems that way scoop. Being the other big US festival it should be experienced once anyway.

For a mildly educated guess; I can see 'roo expanding their electronic music offerings given the market is demanding it more and more. To be fair they could very well decide it's not what their target audience wants and stick to eclectic rock, blues and folk bands with an EDM artist or two sprinkled in. That model certainly works them as it is.

Mr. Dylanja
06-16-2009, 11:24 AM
I have a couple pics of you that might make me look maybe creepy but what would you expect with me as a neighbor? Soon to come

I'll never talk to you again.

sbessiso
06-16-2009, 11:24 AM
If I post a picture of you? :(

faxman75
06-16-2009, 11:25 AM
I just read some of the consequence of sound day reviews and I have to ask. Is there a single fucking set at this fest they didn't like? I mean come on, I read like 15 and you would think there were no shitty sets played all weekend, too bad they couldn't be a tad more objective. One of the writers called Bon Iver as the set of the weekend. I can't wait to see them.

allyjoy
06-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Didnt we take a picture together, D$?

*ahem* wasn't there a pic you 2 were supposed to send me?

sbessiso
06-16-2009, 11:27 AM
*ahem* wasn't there a pic you 2 were supposed to send me?

Feather took my place

Mr. Dylanja
06-16-2009, 11:28 AM
A few more...

TIMELESS TRANCE
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3414/3632609327_3e93c5c890.jpg?v=0

David Byrne-ing down the house
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3594/3633421106_ed982a0b50.jpg?v=0

I couldn't stop staring at the clouds
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3387/3633419528_90d3335a2b.jpg?v=0

Karen O
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3319/3632607245_43f9b24bd5.jpg?v=0

Featheroo and Barbaroo
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3607/3633420536_578af140f4.jpg?v=0

indietron
06-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Its exciting seeing you all back :) All these reviews make me want to go that much more

One of the writers called Bon Iver as the set of the weekend. I can't wait to see them.

They truely are spectacular. They will blow your mind :)

slurpee
06-16-2009, 11:33 AM
What is with all this talk of lack of electronic music......

The arcade is basically the Sahara tent with small name DJs.

There is multiple people in the parking lot with tables and sound systems setup.

Paul Oakenfold sucks....but there was a live electronic band going on at another tent at the same time called Pretty Lights...

I am so surprised no one has mentioned Pretty Lights. WAY cooler than Oakenfold.

frazzles
06-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Fuck, now I want to go to Bonaroo, Sasquatch, Lolla, everything.

Coachella just wins the convenience game since it's my neck of the woods and even now, whenever I go back home, I have to rent a car to get around. If I go next year, I'm carpooling with someone to the 'Roo, k?

faxman75
06-16-2009, 11:37 AM
What is with all this talk of lack of electronic music......

The arcade is basically the Sahara tent with small name DJs.

You aren't really going to compare the arcade to the Sahara are you? Just because DJ AM can fool kids in L.A. into thinking he is one of Daft Punk doesn't mean you can trick the Sahara crowd into loving some random EDM Dj's.

:)

faxman75
06-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Fuck, now I want to go to Bonaroo, Sasquatch, Lolla, everything.

Coachella just wins the convenience game since it's my neck of the woods and even now, whenever I go back home, I have to rent a car to get around. If I go next year, I'm carpooling with someone to the 'Roo, k?

Yeah, you have to go to festivals outside of your backyard. :) This all went off really great and many of us never even met until this years Coachella.

slurpee
06-16-2009, 11:43 AM
You aren't really going to compare the arcade to the Sahara are you? Just because DJ AM can fool kids in L.A. into thinking he is one of Daft Punk doesn't mean you can trick the Sahara crowd into loving some random EDM Dj's.

:)

Obviously the Sahara is the supreme being of "tents with all electronic music".

Although...they are very similar in a sense.

I simply find it odd people keep saying there is "no edm at roo". It simply is not true. I was able to see and dance to many electronic artists throughout the entire weekend.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-16-2009, 11:43 AM
this thread is making me wicked jealous.........I hate all of you.....*tears*

JustSteve
06-16-2009, 11:48 AM
i wish i could go some year, but am pretty sure the combination of humidity, dirt, dirty hippies, etc. would pretty much kill me. who knows? i end up in the hospital after coachella every year, what's one more round of pain :)

truthfully, the humidity is the one thing that will keep me away, though. whenever we are on vacation in the outer banks of north carolina i pretty much spend the days inside, out of the elements, because they have such a negative effect on me. boo.

SoulDischarge
06-16-2009, 11:49 AM
I said the Arcade Discoteque was the Sahara for Beginners. Randomly walking in during Tobacco's set was a really nice surprise, especially since I forgot they were even playing this weekend until about half way through their set and was thinking it was a very good Black Moth Super Rainbow rip off.

faxman75
06-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Truthfully, I hate the humidity but it did NOT ruin my weekend. It was more of an element that just had to be dealt with.

I hear what you are saying Slurpee, if people said there was no EDM, then they simply were not looking. I think it was just stated in comparison to Coachella. The Roo has random people spinning in the campground and the Arcade. Coachella has, The Dome, The Do Lab and the Sahara and sometimes so much EDM they have some on the main stage and in other tents. That's all. I'm not huge into EDM so the amount of it at the Roo didn't bother me one way or another. HawkingsvsReeves was awesome fun on the campground. He had people dancing for a quite a bit and in fact busted moves himself. Great fun.

I heard one of the DJ's at one of the stores on 3rd Ave was talking about breaking a bonnaroo record, they did 24/7 live sets all weekend I think.

SoulDischarge
06-16-2009, 12:05 PM
I liked how all the vendors on Shakedown had wars to see whose music could overpower the others'.

slurpee
06-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Shake down was pretty wack this year. I heard the cops were all over it busting random people.

Working camp sites is the way to go.

boarderwoozel3
06-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Shakedown? :)

sbessiso
06-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Why would anyone bother to hunt on Shakedown when you dont even have to leave your lawn chair

Bud Luster
06-16-2009, 12:16 PM
shakedown street. Its an old dead head term for the main road, strip, parking lot isle, etc. at shows where hippies hustle dope, grilled cheese sandwiches, t shirts, etc...

slurpee
06-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Any time I got into a taxi....the first the driver said..."Want me to take you to shakedown??"

Apparently a lot of people needed a ride over there hahha.

faxman75
06-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Shakedown? :)

It's the street through the campground known for buying drugs. I figured after hearing of some people getting some bunk shit from sketchy folks walking through the campground that shakedown would have been the place to go but apparently not.

slurpee
06-16-2009, 12:20 PM
For those who don't know about Shake Down Street...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/51/GDshakedownstreet.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakedown_Street

"Shakedown Street" is also the name given to the vendors tent set up area at an outdoor music festival. Vendors tents are most commonly the "E-Z up" style tent sold at wholesale stores. They are usually lined up in a long row at the music festivals, resembling a street.

You tell me this town aint got no heart. well, well, well, you can never tell.
The sunny side of the street is dark. well, well, well, you can never tell.
Maybe thats cause its midnight, in the dark of the moon besides.

Maybe the dark is from your eyes, maybe the dark is from your eyes,
You know you got such dark eyes!

Nothin shakin on shakedown street. used to be the heart of town.
Dont tell me this town aint got no heart. you just gotta poke around.

You think youve seen this town clear through.
Well, well, well, you can never tell.
Nothin here that could intrest you. well, well, well, you can never tell.
Its not because you missed out on the thing that we had to start.

Maybe you had too much too fast. maybe you had too much too fast.
Or just over played your part.

Since Im passing your way today. well, well, well, you can never tell.
I just stopped in cause I want to say, well, well, well, you can never tell.
I recall your darkness when it crackled like a thundercloud.

Dont tell me this town aint got no heart.
When I can hear it beat out loud!

frazzles
06-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Humidity is pretty terrible, but if I can survive Louisiana during the summer, I'll be able to handle the Roo.

I've already claimed mid-to late April for leave for 2010. I think I'm gonna go ahead and steal some dates for Sasquatch and Roo tomorrow, as well.

boarderwoozel3
06-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Good god, Bonnaroo sounds incredible. I'm wildly jealous of you all! But pleased you all had such a good time.

canexplain
06-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Good god, Bonnaroo sounds incredible. I'm wildly jealous of you all! But pleased you all had such a good time.

it really is boarder ..... i think it as close as you will get to those crazy european fests .... i love my coachella, but my first love was the roo (well not counting the 60's-90's :) cr****

slurpee
06-16-2009, 12:34 PM
No one checked out Pretty Lights?

Reminded me of Booka Shade (live EDM with drummer).

http://www.last.fm/music/Pretty+Lights

You can download all of the music for free @ the official web site - http://www.prettylightsmusic.com/

miSTEVEious
06-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Can you elaborate on why you feel that way--the 'roo v Coachella part? Making your musical & festival tastes known would help to put it in context as well. Many thanks and it's great to hear everyone so happy about this weekend.

(Totally not hostile, I'm just trying to get a good idea of 'roo before attending)

Obviously it's just an opinion, but for me Bonnaroo is 10x better than Coachella. It really is just WAY better. For tons of reasons. In and outs make a big difference. It gives you a sense of freedom to know that you can go back to your tent if you want. The set times are FAR superior, 1.5-2 hour set times are awesome and Coachella only does that for headliners. The shakedown is incredible, and not just shakedown, but as Salah said, you don't even have to leave your lawn chair to get whatever you want. I heard "heady pcp" and I don't think the guy was joking. That's hilarious! I decided I did not want to be superman and did not want to fly.

I like the fact that everyone camps. It gives the whole place a much bigger feeling of community than Coachella had. Overall, I much prefer the scene/crowd at Bonnaroo. I like indie rock but hippies are way nicer and way more fun than hipsters. On average people are lot nicer at Roo.

BEER: There is a FANTASTIC selection of delicious micro brews, and guess what, YOU CAN TAKE THEM ANYWHERE YOU WANT. Shocking, I know.

Police presence is minimal, and safety roamers are always around in case you need something. They realize that we don't need policemen patrolling the grounds 24/7 and that we're safe without it. Once again, I'm not suggesting an all out anarchy, but it's nice to feel free and that you are in a safe place where you can do whatever you want and not get weird looks/hand cuffs!

The music: Bonnaroo's lineup is killer for me. It destroys the Coachella lineup. I like a much more rounded lineup like Bonnaroo's with some bluegrass and jam thrown in. Coachella's lineup is really overkill on the indie rock. The only knock on it is really the lack of EDM, which I'm okay with. They go for Oakenfold, the big name, which I understand. At least he was a late night. I also don't mind not having EDM during the day. I don't really want to untz untz at 3 pm. Late night however, I'd like to always have an untz option. And you actually do, it's just at the arcade or the silent disco and it's not top notch EDM talent like Coachella.

Lastly: Fucking late nights. Are you kidding me? It's like an extra half of a festival. 1-5 or 6 am friday and saturday and various other late nights like silent disco on thursday are available. You definitely have to pace yourself but if you do it right you can see so much more music than at Coachella and a lot of it is at night which is obviously better.

I will disclaim that a festival is as good as the people you're with. A festival solo can still be fun, but if you're around your best friends than it can make it that much better. Coachella was fun with you guys/my gf, but at Bonnaroo I get to see my closest 20 friends of my whole life and that makes it a pretty euphoric time by itself. Also I kind of just broke up with my gf so being around my friends helped a lot. I just had a huge shit eating grin on my face the entire time, even when I was sober in the morning (for about 20 minutes).

I am so surprised no one has mentioned Pretty Lights. WAY cooler than Oakenfold.
Pretty Lights was really good! Saw about 30 min of Oakenfold and then had to go back to Pretty Lights. Oakenfold is just too trancy for my tastes. I did hear the final hour/two hours of Oakenfold's set from my tent and it was much better. He played a lot of the old school goodies and I thought southern sun was particularly beautiful and almost cried at the beauty of the music/insane hallucinations making themselves appear on the back of my closed eyes :). I have always LOVED that song and the break is sick.

"because it's easier to fly
than to face another day
in the southern sun
and your love is all around"

So overall I don't mean to knock Coachella because Coachella is the shit. Bonnaroo is just 10 shits to me :) I just personally had 10x more fun and that was probably the best weekend of my life.

faxman75
06-16-2009, 12:47 PM
I just personally had 10x more fun and that was probably the best weekend of my life.

You sound like I did following Coachella 2008. :) I will never forget that weekend. :D Not that i'll be forgetting this one any time soon but you know what I mean.

miSTEVEious
06-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Totally fax!

slurpee
06-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Cody!

miSTEVEious
06-16-2009, 12:55 PM
btw which one of you is Patrick? I'm trying to names to faces from thomas' facebook pictures.

sbessiso
06-16-2009, 12:55 PM
THURSDAY

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93952530747_525175747_2091589_926171_n.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93952565747_525175747_2091595_3291581_n.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93952600747_525175747_2091601_5240410_n.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93952625747_525175747_2091606_5549594_n.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93952630747_525175747_2091607_1693848_n.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93952635747_525175747_2091608_3099465_n.jpg
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93952665747_525175747_2091613_3802591_n.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93952685747_525175747_2091617_669137_n.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93952695747_525175747_2091619_494317_n.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93952725747_525175747_2091624_5258693_n.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93952720747_525175747_2091623_8203107_n.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93952785747_525175747_2091633_7181787_n.jpg
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93952845747_525175747_2091644_5014844_n.jpg
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93952850747_525175747_2091645_6456951_n.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93952830747_525175747_2091642_7217866_n.jpg

boarderwoozel3
06-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Nice, thanks for the rundown Steve. Sounds like 'roo is at the very top of my festival to-do list next year--barring any ridiculous lineups at any non-Coachella US festivals (Radiohead and/or Daft Punk).

sbessiso
06-16-2009, 01:04 PM
FRIDAY
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93958500747_525175747_2091737_4971812_n.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93958515747_525175747_2091739_2554811_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93958525747_525175747_2091740_60862_n.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93958535747_525175747_2091742_8057070_n.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93958545747_525175747_2091743_2616445_n.jpg

The only smile I could fake during Animal Collective

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93958580747_525175747_2091750_8035765_n.jpg
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93958630747_525175747_2091757_7220856_n.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93958645747_525175747_2091758_5095554_n.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93958655747_525175747_2091760_1719397_n.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93958680747_525175747_2091763_7578218_n.jpg
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93958750747_525175747_2091772_5841181_n.jpg
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93958755747_525175747_2091773_6266994_n.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93958775747_525175747_2091776_2724960_n.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93958780747_525175747_2091777_6905928_n.jpg
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93958805747_525175747_2091780_7811895_n.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93958850747_525175747_2091783_111916_n.jpg
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93958895747_525175747_2091789_3498357_n.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93958875747_525175747_2091785_6432582_n.jpg

slurpee
06-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Going to Coacehlla 5 times and Bonnaroo 4 times....

Each festival is special in it's own way.

I respect and enjoy each festival for a different reason.

Being one of the crazy Bonnaroo hippies you keep refering to......I find Coachella to be a nice change of pace. Coachella is fun because I don't have people asking me for drugs every 5 minutes.

Coachella is fun because you get all sorts of music elitests who enjoy arguing about music. Although, some of the hippies know WAY more about music than your average Coachella hipster.

Why compare festivals when you can go to both? The festivals are about 2 months apart....why even complain about one or the other? It is all about having a good time.

nbvwes
06-16-2009, 01:07 PM
any non-torrent NIN bootlegs?

slurpee
06-16-2009, 01:12 PM
any non-torrent NIN bootlegs?

I saw at least 2 people taping NIN.

Give it time. Most of these tapers recorded multiple shows throughout the weekend. It takes time to rip, encode, upload, etc.....there will be all sorts of rips floating around the interwebs in the next few weeks.

sbessiso
06-16-2009, 01:21 PM
SATURDAY

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969430747_525175747_2091981_1755312_n.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969445747_525175747_2091983_7480730_n.jpg
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969520747_525175747_2091996_7166547_n.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969495747_525175747_2091991_7282498_n.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969505747_525175747_2091993_1332330_n.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969510747_525175747_2091994_1808511_n.jpg
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969525747_525175747_2091997_2884749_n.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969530747_525175747_2091998_3687831_n.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969550747_525175747_2092000_939078_n.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969560747_525175747_2092002_3474756_n.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969565747_525175747_2092003_468378_n.jpg
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969570747_525175747_2092004_253831_n.jpg
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969575747_525175747_2092005_3771608_n.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969590747_525175747_2092008_4936683_n.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969625747_525175747_2092014_1772730_n.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969640747_525175747_2092017_7808680_n.jpg
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969665747_525175747_2092020_3131294_n.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969675747_525175747_2092022_6016676_n.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969685747_525175747_2092024_1186548_n.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969690747_525175747_2092025_4532527_n.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969700747_525175747_2092027_5838702_n.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969735747_525175747_2092033_7497707_n.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969750747_525175747_2092035_6018526_n.jpg
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969755747_525175747_2092036_7799444_n.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969765747_525175747_2092038_7854322_n.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969775747_525175747_2092040_6949277_n.jpg
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969850747_525175747_2092053_7523465_n.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969820747_525175747_2092047_3479168_n.jpg
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969845747_525175747_2092052_4531302_n.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969840747_525175747_2092051_4100490_n.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93969855747_525175747_2092054_4598412_n.jpg

sbessiso
06-16-2009, 01:25 PM
SUNDAY

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93975755747_525175747_2092127_2385569_n.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93975760747_525175747_2092128_2948513_n.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93975770747_525175747_2092130_6632091_n.jpg
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93975780747_525175747_2092132_5168437_n.jpg
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93975785747_525175747_2092133_6209457_n.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93975795747_525175747_2092135_6086763_n.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93975810747_525175747_2092136_395979_n.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93975830747_525175747_2092139_3813940_n.jpg
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93975835747_525175747_2092140_1629202_n.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93975855747_525175747_2092142_5733167_n.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93975870747_525175747_2092145_5702593_n.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93975875747_525175747_2092146_6050626_n.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93975915747_525175747_2092152_3905197_n.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc1/4859_93975930747_525175747_2092155_6507316_n.jpg

faxman75
06-16-2009, 01:26 PM
I saw at least 2 people taping NIN.

Give it time. Most of these tapers recorded multiple shows throughout the weekend. It takes time to rip, encode, upload, etc.....there will be all sorts of rips floating around the interwebs in the next few weeks.

i'm confused. What's a non torrent bootleg? Doesn't this describe how people post torrents or is there a way to get these that i'm not aware of outside of torrents aside from someone downloading the torrent and putting it on a CD and doing a B & P of course?

faxman75
06-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Salah, those are great pics! :)

canexplain
06-16-2009, 01:36 PM
keep the pics coming , i should be in those pics :( .... havent seen anything from rage or i might have just missed it ... he does have to go farther then anyone i think .... cr****

slurpee
06-16-2009, 01:36 PM
i'm confused. What's a non torrent bootleg? Doesn't this describe how people post torrents or is there a way to get these that i'm not aware of outside of torrents aside from someone downloading the torrent and putting it on a CD and doing a B & P of course?

Some people still have not figured out how to download a torrent. Not sure why, but yea....new technologies confuse some people.

I assume people are looking for a "mega upload" type URL for the links.

Or they are looking for mp3, not FLAC.

slurpee
06-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Once you have a torrent client installed on your computer.....

Torrents are pretty much a "1 click" type deal.

You don't have to join etree, bit junkie, or mininova to name a few.

faxman75
06-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Torrents are pretty fucking simple. I don't have any toolbars downloaded and none of the sites I download from are elitest. They mostly have a registration process to block spammers and such but fuck, if you can't register at a site then you are fucking lazy. Hell, they don't even all require that much.

Who's wasting your time nbvwes? They are fucking simple and convenient to use.

faxman75
06-16-2009, 01:50 PM
yes, looking for mp3...

and in doing so, anything more than one click is a waste of my time... i care more about hearing the show now than lossless quality...

You are doing it wrong.

apostle2
06-16-2009, 01:52 PM
jesus christ... one click downloading is not "oh well all you have to do is register & download a toolbar"

:rolleyes gimme a fuckin break...

You're out of your element, Donny.

BROKENDOLL
06-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Salah, those are great pics! :)
QFT! You can actually feel his great time!
BTW...Feather likes the face masks and wears them well. Pssst, I may just have a little something for Feather at EDC.:pulse

Blinken
06-16-2009, 01:56 PM
jesus christ... one click downloading is not "oh well all you have to do is register & download a toolbar"

:rolleyes gimme a fuckin break...

Jesus, you are really fucking ignorant about this subject, and you keep changing and deleting your posts to cover it up.

Please explain to me how searching message boards for a link to a mega upload site is one click downloading. While you are at it how is that less time consuming than searching a torrent site, which doesn't require registration, and finding what you need.

sbessiso
06-16-2009, 01:57 PM
You're out of your element, Donny.

It hasnt even truly sunk in for me yet that we didnt meet.

sin213
06-16-2009, 02:01 PM
dime is actually pretty elitist, mark... even i will admit that. i'll try to start finding roo sets online and posting links to them, for those live show collectors out there.

i've read thru this thread a bit and have to say that most of the reviews are right on and there isn't much i can add. all i have to say is that i miss all of you soooo much already! that was a fuckin blast and can't wait for the next opportunity to hang out with all of you.

roo was quite overwhelming for me...don't know that i'd go back without a big reason to do so. between the late night sets, the marathon set times that kept you standing for 3+ hours, the humidity and the travel involved, i'll have to keep my Coachella and trade out roo for something else. that's not to say that if there was a one-chance to catch band at roo that i wouldn't be there, though... ;)

the whole experience may have been tainted a bit by the travel experience though. if i did this again, i would rent an rv and drive there and back. that seems like the way to go vs flying and sleeping in tent. my airline experience was horrible though...i tried to check in online the day before my flight only to find out that i was not ticketed properly. i spent 5+ hours on the phone with customer service and also had to go to the airport the night before to straighten out my ticket. they ended up re-issuing a ticket on my flight plans to fix the issue. then, of course, they lose my bag on the way there...my tent, sleeping bag, flashlights, all my liquids, etc were lost. luckily it was found and returned to me, other wise I would have been sleeping in the car all weekend. however, i did have to carry my 50 lb suitcase a mile from centeroo thru the mud to the campsite. once I got everything set up, though, it was all good. :D

roo overall was pretty great, the nin set ruled the weekend, beasties phish, and rod y gab were right up there too...honorable mentions include Al Green, YYY and Wilco.

again, it was great hanging out with all of you people! daftfro, it was really great hangin with you most of the weekend. slurpee, glad I was able to meet up with you for a bit. sushov, great talking with you at the campground. and to the rest of you that I see at most everything else i go to, well, i'll see you again soon! its always a pleasure!

TommyboyUNM
06-16-2009, 02:03 PM
nbvwes,

You're making this too difficult. It's kind of funny actually. All you need to do is go to any number of sites like mininova (the one I use) or thepiratebay. Search for what you want in the little search bar. Click download. That's it. Most of what comes up is in mp3 format. What's the problem?

faxman75
06-16-2009, 02:06 PM
dime is actually pretty elitist, mark... even i will admit that. i'll try to start finding roo sets online and posting links to them, for those live show collectors out there.

Someone has done this in this thread and it could use a bump, it was a page or two ago. I never said dime was or wasn't "elitist". I think i've only used it for stuff you have posted and I wouldn't know what makes it elitist. All I know is I never have any issues downloading torrents and they aren't difficult to download, they are in fact simple. When you say elitist do you mean the community of people and how they communicat with eachother? If he doesn't want to wast his time downloading a torrent why the heck would he care about getting involved in conversations? I dunno. I wouldn't know or care about elitism on torrent sites. I find what i'm looking for and click once and have my concerts/music shortly after. *shrugs* works great.

sin213
06-16-2009, 02:07 PM
you don't have to sign up for bt.etree.org. that is where nin is. just click the torrent and start the download.

faxman75
06-16-2009, 02:09 PM
well then it is a one-click download site like the ones i mentioned, duh, not like the ones i'm bitching about...

but mininova didn't have the NIN bootleg anyway...

Who cares who has it. There was a link posted in the NIN thread. You click the link and download. End of story. If you have to register with the site that should take you an extra 30 seconds. For someone who doesn't want to go through all that hassle you have no problem ranting about how difficult it is for a half hour or more. You could have started downloading every single available Roo setlist by now. :lool

sin213
Someone has done this in this thread and it could use a bump, it was a page or two ago. I never said dime was or wasn't "elitist". I think i've only used it for stuff you have posted and I wouldn't know what makes it elitist. All I know is I never have any issues downloading torrents and they aren't difficult to download, they are in fact simple. When you say elitist do you mean the community of people and how they communicat with eachother? If he doesn't want to wast his time downloading a torrent why the heck would he care about getting involved in conversations? I dunno. I wouldn't know or care about elitism on torrent sites. I find what i'm looking for and click once and have my concerts/music shortly after. *shrugs* works great.

i say dime is elitist because of the way they administer their torrents. it is very easy to get a torrent banned by the admins. however, this type of strict enforcement does raise the level of the torrents on the site. most stuff on dime is pretty decent...but i know many uploaders/tapers that do not use dime because it can be such a hassle to upload to...

canexplain
tommy you coming to mono? cr****

faxman75
06-16-2009, 02:11 PM
http://bonnaroo.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=downloads&action=display&thread=19012

Al Green 2009-06-12
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525951

Band of Horses 2009-06-14
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525966

Beastie Boys 2009-06-12
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525870

Booker T and the DBTs 2009-06-13
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525947

David Grisman Quintet 2009-06-13
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525887

Gov't Mule 2009-06-13
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525944

Nine Inch Nails 2009-06-13
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525919

Phish 2009-06-12
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525871

Phish 2009-06-14
1) http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525938
2) http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525933

Portugal the Man 2009-06-11
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525830

Wilco 2009-06-13
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525946

Tommy, maybe you can copy and past this to Page 1 of the thread! :D

apostle2
06-16-2009, 02:11 PM
It hasnt even truly sunk in for me yet that we didnt meet.

did you get my angry voicemail yet? :thu

faxman75
06-16-2009, 02:12 PM
i say dime is elitist because of the way they administer their torrents. it is very easy to get a torrent banned by the admins. however, this type of strict enforcement does raise the level of the torrents on the site. most stuff on dime is pretty decent...but i know many uploaders/tapers that do not use dime because it can be such a hassle to upload to...

Gotcha, this is a good thing. Nothing wrong with raising the levels and quality. I understand why nbvwes is not happy about this now. He wanted lower quality torrents and fast :lool

slurpee
Did Shotglass wear a tshirt of his avatar?

I swear I saw some older larger guy wearing a yellow tshirt of the clown throwing up.

I yelled "Coachellaaaa", but the guy looked at me like "who the fuck is this dirty hippy".

sin213
nice, thx mark! time to start downloading! i want a lot of those sets. i really think coachella should expand the set lengths...seeing these bands play at least 1.5 hr sets was great. and some of the 3+ hours sets were EPIC!

canexplain
06-16-2009, 02:15 PM
this is a double post but a lot of people dont read the default thread and this is the most active thread (as usual) ......

So what does anyone think of this? I was at Wakarusa just walking around the campgrounds taking pictures. There were these two little hippy girls in front of a tent made out of tie die cloth. I actually thought they might be selling cloth. So I take two pictures. Just that quickly, they both run up to me. “What gives you the right to take our pictures? Who told you, you could. Why are you invading our privacy?” Well you get the pic as it were. I told them that was their choice, I showed them the delete button on my camera, and let them delete the pics. My thoughts, it’s a public place and a fucking music festival. I do see the privacy issue though. Where do you stand on that situation? Cr****

canexplain
06-16-2009, 02:19 PM
catching up on my old mail .... did this happen, i didnt read it anywhere ....cr****

Jimmy buffet will play a special noon show Saturday (6/13) on Bonnaroo's Which Stage, according to the event website. Buffett's performance with Ilo and the Coral Reefer Allstars will kick off the second stage's line-up for the Saturday edition of the four-day music and arts festival in Manchester, TN.

slurpee
06-16-2009, 02:22 PM
catching up on my old mail .... did this happen, i didnt read it anywhere ....cr****

Jimmy buffet will play a special noon show Saturday (6/13) on Bonnaroo's Which Stage, according to the event website. Buffett's performance with Ilo and the Coral Reefer Allstars will kick off the second stage's line-up for the Saturday edition of the four-day music and arts festival in Manchester, TN.

Yes it did happen. I didn't muscle up the strength to get into Centeroo by noon....but I spoke with a few other people who said it was a great show.

Buffet lot makes Phish lot look like a bunch of rookies hahaha.

faxman75
06-16-2009, 02:24 PM
this is a double post but a lot of people dont read the default thread and this is the most active thread (as usual) ......

So what does anyone think of this? I was at Wakarusa just walking around the campgrounds taking pictures. There were these two little hippy girls in front of a tent made out of tie die cloth. I actually thought they might be selling cloth. So I take two pictures. Just that quickly, they both run up to me. “What gives you the right to take our pictures? Who told you, you could. Why are you invading our privacy?” Well you get the pic as it were. I told them that was their choice, I showed them the delete button on my camera, and let them delete the pics. My thoughts, it’s a public place and a fucking music festival. I do see the privacy issue though. Where do you stand on that situation? Cr****

It sounds like the coke or meth they were on was wearing off and they were on edge. Odd.

TommyboyUNM
06-16-2009, 02:34 PM
tommy you coming to mono? cr****

There needs to be more bands I like to convince me. If Yeah Yeah Yeahs and/or Grizzly Bear is there then I'll probably go. I am going to Mile High, though.

Tommy, maybe you can copy and past this to Page 1 of the thread! :D

Done.

Pretty sure you have the right to take their pictures, but it is understandable if they don't want their pics to be taken since they don't know where those pics will end up. So....all parties were correct. And you did the right thing by letting them delete the pics.

sbessiso
06-16-2009, 02:45 PM
did you get my angry voicemail yet? :thu

I did. I just didnt have my phone on my on Saturday. I didnt wanna risk breaking/losing it.

COME TO LOLLA!!!!!!!!

menikmati
06-16-2009, 02:46 PM

to be honest, DIME is only strict on the officially released stuff....which I can sort of understand....and they ban a few different bands from being posted, but other than that, DIME is really relaxed on any rules, in fact there really are none. Most of the time, people don't even include MD5's or FFP files or even properly tag/label their stuff, and they don't require any lineage or anything like that, meaning many recordings posted there are just ripped off old CD-R's people have laying around...that sort of thing doesn't really fly on other torrent sites like TTD. I mean most of the time on DIME, the tapers are really good with their information and provide everything, but there are still tons of people who just post random recordings with very little info and no setlists etc etc, which does get a little annoying.

feather
06-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Springsteen has your number?

The Boss told me to get my butt back to Tennessee, it ain't time to leave yet :)

PLURty sure I'm joining the BonnaCrew every year now. I was thoroughly inspired, and in love with everything I experienced. The freedom and energy was unbelievable. I miss it so much.

SoulDischarge
06-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Did Shotglass wear a tshirt of his avatar?

Dylan did . . .

suprefan
06-16-2009, 03:25 PM
It seems that way scoop. Being the other big US festival it should be experienced once anyway.

For a mildly educated guess; I can see 'roo expanding their electronic music offerings given the market is demanding it more and more. To be fair they could very well decide it's not what their target audience wants and stick to eclectic rock, blues and folk bands with an EDM artist or two sprinkled in. That model certainly works them as it is.

Alright, here is my take on your million questions. JUST GO TO THE F***ING FESTIVAL ALREADY.........

faxman75
06-16-2009, 03:27 PM
You should go too Supre but don't suck the life out of it ok? Also, stop telling people they charge for showers at Sasquatch. They don't and you didn't go. :)

suprefan
06-16-2009, 03:31 PM
In my past experiences at The Gorge and it being a festival, I was charged to use showers, so what am i gonna say than assume the obvious. Me? Only ''you know who'' might get me to go if they ever played it again and had like 3 hours to play. This was probably the last one to make me think about it, doubt theres another line up that will do it to me for a while. And I dont have to ask a zillion question comparing it to coachella. Its different, thats easy to figure out and you just gotta go and see for yourself.

SoulDischarge
06-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Railing it is way easier at Bonnaroo.

faxman75
06-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Pitchfork has chimed in on the weekend.

http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/7669-bonnaroo-2009/

Some noteable reviews.

Animal Collective [Which Stage; 2:45 p.m.]
No band was set up better to play Bonnaroo than Animal Collective, falling naturally as they do on the crossroads of psychedelia, rhythmic trance, and chin-stroking sonic depth. That crossover appeal manifested in what turned out to be one of the biggest crowds at the Which Stage, the festivals #2 venue. But alas, A.C.'s set was a dud in an unfortunate mid-afternoon setting that left the band sans light show, leaving only dudes twiddling knobs beneath a heatstroke sun. Meanwhile the sound mix was either still getting its legs or unsure of what to do with a largely drum and guitar-free band, thinning out the sound into a relentless and unpleasant drone. By the time the stretched-out double shot of "Fireworks" and "Brother Sport" made a convincing case for the band, nobody but the now-rednecked true fans remained untempted by other stages or shade. --RM

Grizzly Bear [This Tent; 5 p.m.]

You'd think Grizzly Bear's carefully calibrated sound would turn to stone outside the studio walls, never mind at an enormous outdoor festival. But their attention to detail even on stage, amplified with a big sound system, made their late afternoon set surprisingly strong in the middle of the long first day's slog. With pitch-perfect four-part vocals threaded throughout, Grizzly Bear created effective waves of quiet and loud with their menagerie of odd instruments: autoharp, recorder, floor glockenspiel. Veckatimest material stood strong-- maybe even above-- the old hits, signifying a band still peaking and finding on-stage confidence. --RM

NIN

It was not an easy task to try and re-calibrate one's emotions from the humanism of Springsteen to the misanthropy of Trent Reznor, and maybe that's why this stop on NIN's supposed farewell run seemed like sound, fury, and little else. Last year at Lollapalooza the band wowed with slick special effects and expert programming that showed off the band's little-noticed versatility, but this year's set was blunt instrument industrial rock with seizure lights. A few deep cuts made welcome appearances-- the Rick Rubin remix of "Piggy", the cover of Joy Division's "Dead Souls" from The Crow soundtrack-- but what Trent Reznor called the band's last U.S. concert was too much, too late for a weary crowd. --RM

boarderwoozel3
06-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Alright, here is my take on your million questions. JUST GO TO THE F***ING FESTIVAL ALREADY.........

In the process of people reliving and sharing their extremely recent experiences, I'm trying to learn as much as possible about what appears to be an amazing event while everyone's memory is still sharp.

Additionally, please feel free to take note at how offended and unwilling to answer my questions everyone has been....

The internet and message boards are, after all, the ultimate information sharing medium.
Anyway...
Those pictures are sweet, everyone. I love the Coachella shout-outs on the car window paint. I didn't realize that you can camp by your car as well. That must have helped a ton as a huge locker.

And thanks all for entertaining my questions, it's very appreciated.

TommyboyUNM
06-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Why does everyone always fall back on Animal Collective sucking because of their time slot? It shouldn't be that big a difference between something shitty and something good. I saw NIN mostly in daylight last month and it was awesome. You know why? Because they sound great. They don't NEED an extravagant light show to be good.

Also, I wouldn't expect Pitchfork to like a Nine Inch Nails set. "Blunt instrument industrial rock with seizure lights." That's a complaint? And this is the same writer who complained that Animal Collective didn't have their light show.

slurpee
06-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Suprefan is probably pissed he is not the expert on this music related topic.....

I am more than willing to answer any and all of your Bonnnaroo questions.

Ardentbiscuit
06-16-2009, 03:51 PM
I was just at Sasquatch and they didn't charge me for the showers.

So no mushroom fountain frolicking photos?

boarderwoozel3
Good point, I've got bad news for bands that need night and crazy lights to sound good. Or maybe all of us really are just light show monkeys.

And thanks slurpee, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Mr. Dylanja
I had a great time, it was nice meeting all of you that I hadn't met before. Thanks for waiting for me at the dollar store (even tho you ALL left the hotel and didn't tell me :nono) and dealing with my drivers wrong turn. It all worked out in the end.

Great times, great fest.

Wheres the beef?
06-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Railing it is way easier at Bonnaroo.

Are you talking about drugs or music?