PDA

View Full Version : You ever get a random, high pitched ringing in your ear with no provocation?

bmack86
10-21-2008, 04:51 PM
What the hell is that?

real talk
10-21-2008, 04:52 PM
That's My Bloody Valentine telling you to remember them always.

chairmenmeow47
10-21-2008, 04:53 PM
i do. i've been getting them more frequently too which kinda scares me since i don't hear so well. the other day everything sounded way muted too. i hope we're not going deaf!!!

wmgaretjax
yeah. yeah.

But seriously, it's your ear tuning itself. And in case you were wondering, the call/response ratio is 1:1.2. The hairs in your ears can actually generate these tones...

I strongly suggest you purchase Jacob Kirkegard's "Labyrinthitis" from Touch Records.

samiksha
last night when i lay my good ear down on the pillow, i head crickets but when i lifted my head to see if my good ear could hear the crickets, it couldn't. i dont think there were any crickets.

Blinken
Beck secretly fucked your ear.

CalmerThanYou
10-21-2008, 04:54 PM
its definitely the first signs of you going def.

ala

http://tf.org/images/covers/ItsAllGonePeteTongfree.jpg

bmack86
10-21-2008, 04:54 PM
yeah. yeah.

But seriously, it's your ear tuning itself.

I've always wondered. The nerd in me kinda hoped it was some sorta frequency that I could hear when a certain sort of transmission was made, and that someday I'd find the source of the transmissions and some grand secret of the world would be unveiled to me. Alas.

MissingPerson
10-21-2008, 04:56 PM
You know those stories of people who could pick up radio signals with their teeth? That true?

wmgaretjax
The nerd in me kinda hoped it was some sorta frequency that I could hear when a certain sort of transmission was made, and that someday I'd find the source of the transmissions and some grand secret of the world would be unveiled to me. Alas.

It'll be OK

menikmati
Is it worse than when you answer the phone and it's a fucking air horn of some ship blowing with the captain telling you that you've won a vacation blaring into your ear, or a recording of Michelle calling you telling you that your warranty on your car has expired?

woogie846
10-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Yeah, the high pitch happens to me once in a while.

thestripe
10-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Is it worse than when you answer the phone and it's a fucking air horn of some ship blowing with the captain telling you that you've won a vacation blaring into your ear, or a recording of Michelle calling you telling you that you're warranty on your car has expired?

Nothings worse than that.

stuporfly
10-21-2008, 05:07 PM
That's My Bloody Valentine telling you to remember them always.

That's immediately what sprung to mind when I saw the thread title. My ringing increased for three straight days following their first show at Roseland.

I do get that ringing, bmack. Not severe by any stretch, but it's there. In fact, I've got it right now. It might be residual noise from having a massive hangover while playing music with some friends on Sunday afternoon. But it also happens with no provocation.

bmack86
10-21-2008, 05:31 PM
I know it's not concert ringing because I haven't been to a show in a week, and this has been happening for as long as I can remember. It's just a short, very loud high frequency that I get sometimes, and Jared's explanation makes sense. Sadly.

BlackSwan
10-21-2008, 05:31 PM
happens to me every once in a while too... nothing to worry about.

ivankay
10-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Actually it is something you should think about. It could be the beginning of a decline in your hearing. When i noticed it happening more frequently, that's when i started wearing earplugs in loud situations. When i listen to music or watch something, i don't go crazy with the sound being too loud. i figure i have a lot of hearing to do; and being cautious with the damage i suspect i already have is a good move in my opinion.

algunz
10-21-2008, 05:39 PM
My problem is that I can no longer hear high pitches anymore. Is that too many times spent next to the speaker?

ivankay
10-21-2008, 05:43 PM
My problem is that I can no longer hear high pitches anymore. Is that too many times spent next to the speaker?

That and getting older. i go for the plugs when i feel that filling and stuffiness of the ear. i mess with my plugs throughout the show to see if i don't need them (i love being parked by sound boards for great sound). When i take pictures, i put them in definitely before i even get close to the barricade. i have had my head on the speaker and won't do it unless i got something in my head.

wmgaretjax
10-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Actually it is something you should think about. It could be the beginning of a decline in your hearing. When i noticed it happening more frequently, that's when i started wearing earplugs in loud situations. When i listen to music or watch something, i don't go crazy with the sound being too loud. i figure i have a lot of hearing to do; and being cautious with the damage i suspect i already have is a good move in my opinion.

Once and a while is totally fine.

You can actually generate these tones yourself if you have a simple sin tone generator. Just play two high tones (above 4000 works best) at a ratio of 1 to 1.2, your ear will then attempt to generate the first tone itself. This will sound different, almost as if it is coming from inside your head. The music piece I mentioned before plays on this phenomenon.

It is nothing to worry about, but should only last a few seconds. Tinnitus is constant ringing, this has nothing to do with that. There are tons of circumstances that cause your ears to auto tune like that: pressure changes, sudden shifts in volume perception, exposure to pitches that you don't normally hear, and regular checks that your ears do on themselves.

algunz
10-21-2008, 05:45 PM
I love the vibration, when you can feel it in your heart and your bones. Unfortunately you also feel it in your ears for years to come.

whynotsmile99
10-21-2008, 05:52 PM
i get this from time to time too. It's strange, sorta like what I imagined it sounds like after a gernade goes off next to you and you lose your hearing. Everytime it happens to me I think of Saving Private Ryan (though not that bad, of course).

I always wondered what this was but was apparently too lazy to go to wikipedia myself. Finally someone brings it up here :)

ivankay
10-21-2008, 05:54 PM
I love the vibration, when you can feel it in your heart and your bones. Unfortunately you also feel it in your ears for years to come.

You can still feel it with your ears protected.

wmgaretjax is right, but after the abuse that has gone on to my ears over my time here so far, i'm going to play it as safe as i can.

kitt kat
10-21-2008, 06:06 PM
i think this happens to everyone...

it actually happens to me when i'm high a lot. and it's fucking scary.

bballarl
10-21-2008, 07:26 PM
I hear waves in my right ear whenever I go to sleep. It is really weird.

roberto73
10-21-2008, 07:48 PM
I don't have a high-pitched ringing, but every so often the sound completely drops out of my right ear. It returns fairly quickly, but for a few seconds it feels like I've crammed several cotton balls in one ear.

fatbastard
10-21-2008, 07:52 PM
bmack...

bmack!

bmack86
10-21-2008, 07:54 PM
As I continue staring at the wall.

fatbastard
10-21-2008, 07:56 PM
You may land up putting more attention to stage presence as time goes on.

samiksha
10-21-2008, 07:58 PM
hearing loss is so annoying

MissingPerson
10-21-2008, 08:00 PM
I finally understand the insufficient Arcade Fire love from this board. Everyone's damn ears are broken. It all makes sense now!

Astrid
10-21-2008, 10:18 PM
theyre doing research at ucsc currently on cochlear hair regeneration, from what i have heard.

Barbara, the ninja
10-21-2008, 10:37 PM
B Mack, you're definitely going deaf. Going to a show every day of the week doesn't help, baby.

gaypalmsprings
05-09-2010, 06:54 AM
http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/bgr/lowres/bgrn1720l.jpg

sonofhal
05-09-2010, 07:35 AM
What?

sbessiso
05-09-2010, 07:36 AM
I think its just time to put GPS on ignore....

JebusLives
05-09-2010, 09:00 AM
What the hell is that?

Are you married? It could be your wife

Mr.Nipples
05-09-2010, 12:50 PM
all the time unfortunately

Sleepingrock
05-09-2010, 02:29 PM
I don't know if you guys are too old, but when lights are dimmed teens and such can hear the high pitched noise but older folkers 35+ can't!! It always annoys me but my parents don't know its there

ivankay
05-09-2010, 02:54 PM
I don't know if you guys are too old, but when lights are dimmed teens and such can hear the high pitched noise but older folkers 35+ can't!! It always annoys me but my parents don't know its there

Ah, don't be so annoyed over the inevitable. (http://www.medic8.com/ear-disorders/hearing-loss/sensorineural-deafness.html)

spiggums
05-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Tinnitus is mildly annoying, but not nearly as annoying as the hearing loss that it's usually a symptom of.

Seriously, anyone who goes to shows regularly should go to a doctor and get fitted for a custom set of ear plugs. Especially if you're younger. Your insurance won't cover it, but the whole thing (earplugs, filters, hearing exam and cleaning) shouldn't run you more than about $120.

I wish I had mine made when I was younger. They're worth every penny. Custom molded to your ears so you hardly feel them. The quality of the sound is still sharp, just reduced 10 to 15 db. And the difference they make in terms of hearing loss is worth the price alone.

Mak Attack
08-11-2010, 07:40 AM
I woke up yesterday morning w/ a ringing in my right ear. I didn't think it was a big deal because it's happened before and it's gone away after about an hour. But it hasn't gone away yet. I went to my regular doctor last night and he did a hearing test which showed some hearing loss in that ear and recommended I see an ENT today. So that's where I'm at.

For 24 hours I've heard nothing but a high pitched "weeeeeee" sound in one of ears. Irritating doesn't even begin to describe it. I will definitely be bringing ear plugs to shows from here on out and I wish I wouldn't have always had those damn earbuds in and up so loud all fucking day long.

york707
08-11-2010, 07:51 AM
I can hear when TV monitors are on (and sometimes other electrical applainces) even if the volume is down. It is a high pitch noise similar to the one bryan initially described. It's helpful since I can always sense when we have accidentally only turned off the cable but not the TV.

marooko
08-11-2010, 08:08 AM
yeah. yeah.

But seriously, it's your ear tuning itself. And in case you were wondering, the call/response ratio is 1:1.2. The hairs in your ears can actually generate these tones...

I strongly suggest you purchase Jacob Kirkegard's "Labyrinthitis" from Touch Records.

New album to listen to today. Thank you.

I've always wondered. The nerd in me kinda hoped it was some sorta frequency that I could hear when a certain sort of transmission was made, and that someday I'd find the source of the transmissions and some grand secret of the world would be unveiled to me. Alas.

Seriously?

daxton
08-11-2010, 08:10 AM
Tinnitus