PDA

View Full Version : Tipping.....aka the Mr. Pink thread...

faxman75
10-20-2008, 10:34 AM
So these cocksuckers made the choice to join a profession that has a subjective income. In europe I was told 10%-15% is plenty by several different europeans. Now maybe they are all cheap but that is what I was told. Here in america you are piece of shit customer if you tip 15% is that right? I give a standard 15% to everyone. Sometimes 18-20% if they are absolutely exceptional. If they are pure shit, they get a buck. No more. I don't care what the bill is but that said, I don't go to places for expensive dinners more than once a year if that. It's always in the 20-40$ range.

There are obvious exceptions and stuff but I stick to a standard 15%. Probably 90% of the time.

I've been told doing the math on my phone is also tacky. Get the fuck out. I'm giving a proper fucking tip. If I don't use my phone, you are going to end up with 10%.

Discuss tipping and how you do it.

CalmerThanYou
10-20-2008, 10:40 AM
i double the TAX (and round up to the nearest dollar)

edit: fixed, lol.

faxman75
10-20-2008, 10:41 AM
wtf does that mean? Double the tip? Do you mean double the tax?

vinylmartyr
10-20-2008, 10:43 AM
what is this rants and raves?

bumper31
10-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Tipping does take some getting used you, as it is definitely optional in the UK and 10-15% is the low to high range.

And it does wind me up as Service Charge or Tipping should be in response to good service or any service.......

I was in a korean restaurant in NY and the service is diabolical, so much so, 1 of our party didn't even get their meal after 2.5 hours, asked for the bill and the cheeky buggers, automatically added 18%!!!......I refused to pay...but they were arguing they don't eat without the tip!!!

So the question is why don't they just put the prices up? And then we have sales tax.........

CalmerThanYou
10-20-2008, 10:55 AM
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/dear-ba-foodist-can-you-set-me-straight-on-tipping-285553/

Here you go fax, a whole article about it.

MarkO
10-20-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's fucked up. That ain't my fault. It would seem to me that waitresses are one of the many groups the government fucks in the ass on a regular basis. Look, if you ask me to sign something that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it, put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. And as for this non-college bullshit I got two words for that: learn to fuckin' type, 'cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big fuckin' surprise.

captncrzy
10-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Jesus, what a bunch of assholes. It's not like they make $15 an hour and expect tips on top of it. They make below minimum wage and rely on tips for their income. It's like "pay for performance". If they perform well, they make more than if their performance is shitty.
Think about what the service levels would be if they were making $10 an hour with no tipping. The service would be HORRIBLE with an even higher turnover-especially since waiting tables is one of the shittiest jobs on the planet. Picture having to wait on assholes such as yourselves, day in and day out.

You should be paying people to put up with you.

Blinken
10-20-2008, 11:13 AM
Sorry Capt' I don't buy that for a second. I used to work for minimum wage jobs that weren't deemed tip worthy. I don't give a fuck that you only make minimum wage that is not a reason for me to tip you. Tell me what seperates a waiter from the clerk at the store who helps you shop? They are both service and both make shit? does the waiter work harder than the fast food employee? The retail clerk helping you in the store? $10 an hour was great, in the service industry, in alot of jobs i used to make $7.25 at shitty jobs with shitty customers. That said I usually do what Calmer does and just double the tax.

leo01g
10-20-2008, 11:14 AM
i just double the tax since tax is 7.5% here in the OC

samiksha
10-20-2008, 11:15 AM
they make below minimum wage...

leo01g
10-20-2008, 11:16 AM
how do they make below minimum wage? are we talking about restaurants here in the US?

samiksha
10-20-2008, 11:17 AM
yeah. the hourly rate is less than the minimum wage but the idea is that with tips it will end up at or above.

allyjoy
10-20-2008, 11:17 AM

Depends on the state. California requires all employees make minimum wage, but in other states like Virginia, employers can pay less than the state's minimum wage if there is a presumption of tip. Like strippers, for example, are paid solely by tips and commissions for dances.

samiksha
10-20-2008, 11:19 AM
right right.

faxman75
10-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Jesus, what a bunch of assholes. It's not like they make $15 an hour and expect tips on top of it. They make below minimum wage and rely on tips for their income. It's like "pay for performance". If they perform well, they make more than if their performance is shitty.
Think about what the service levels would be if they were making $10 an hour with no tipping. The service would be HORRIBLE with an even higher turnover-especially since waiting tables is one of the shittiest jobs on the planet. Picture having to wait on assholes such as yourselves, day in and day out.

You should be paying people to put up with you.

I'm an asshole for asking the question? Seriously, that's fucking ridiculous. Who can keep up with this bullshit. They chose a fucking profession that relies on the subjectivity of their service. The question was what do you tip. So i'm a fucking asshole for tipping 15%?

What am I missing. What's an accpetable amount of tip for you? What would make me not an asshole? If they don't want a shitty tip when they give shitty service they are in the wrong profession. It's subjective. That's it. I don't serve food because I don't want to leave my salary up to the likes of me.

I don't get all the bullshit namecalling you stormed in here with.

faxman75
10-20-2008, 11:24 AM

Another words as much as illegal immigrants. Maybe they should get jobs that pay more than illegal immigrants. I have to agree with Mr. Pink on some level when he says "learn to fuckin' type". That goes for men too. I type. I can type 60 words a minute at least. Many of the servers at find dining establishments make bank so I don't get the sympathy there at all.

Now, on the doublin tax notion. I never heard of this before. It seems like a simple enough method. So besides Captn Crazy does anyone else think i'm an asshole for tipping 15%? Is that acceptable? Is that rude?

faxman75
10-20-2008, 11:26 AM

By choice and after tips there is no telling what they make. It all depends on the restaurant and the type of service they render. They aren't broke if they are serving at a Chili's or a red lobster, they make more than I do actually. At least the ones I know did.

captncrzy
10-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Rick and I both do 20% and then round up unless the service is bad. We accept it as part of dining out. If you're that upset about having to tip, then just don't tip. And I didn't say you're an asshole for tipping only 15%; but it's assholey for complaining about it.

Also, about this whole "choosing their jobs stuff"-not everyone can aspire to be a faxman.

AND, when I was a financial counselor, I counseled plenty of waitstaffers who were waiting tables to get through college; they didn't make that much. Especially in tourist areas-they did ok in the on-season but pretty lousy in the off season. It's a relatively unskilled job that someone can get pretty easily, and the state boards, who license restaurants, check pretty closely to make sure they arent' hiring illegial immigrants. So who do you suggest should be staffing restaurants then? Sure, a restaurant can pay a waiter $10 an hour, but the price of your food would certainly go up. Restaurants run on an extremely narrow profit margin-a restaurant that has a 15% profit margin is doing extremely well.

Blinken
10-20-2008, 11:27 AM
acceptable, I double the tax and it is any where from 15% - 16.5% depending on LA or Orange County.

Blinken
10-20-2008, 11:28 AM
My buddy choose to be a waiter and he makes a good living, because of the tips, he just puts all of checks in the bank to save and lives off his tips.

samiksha
10-20-2008, 11:29 AM
there isn't "no telling what they make". they are paid a flat hourly rate. and at some places its less than minumum wage. i dont know state by state or restaurant by restaurant how much servers get paid.

i do what captncrzy does. 20% and round up or down to the nearest dollar depending on the service.

faxman75
10-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Rick and I both do 20% and then round up unless the service is bad. We accept it as part of dining out. If you're that upset about having to tip, then just don't tip.

Really, the waitresses I know would be really pissed off about getting ZERO tip. I'm not upset about having to tip either. My question was regarding the proper amount. You seem much more angry than I. So you're theory is everyone tip 20% or nothing at all?

I don't think the waitresses want you advocating for them if that's the case.

Also, about this whole "choosing their jobs stuff"-not everyone can aspire to be a faxman.

Of course not, and who said I "aspired" to be anything. I do chose the jobs I apply for though just like everyone else. There isn't a single server who goes into the job unaware of their pay being subjective. If they are awesome they get 20%. Most of the time, they get 15% from me. If they suck, they don't get much but that's happened probably less than 5 times in my life.

Quadromarshia
10-20-2008, 11:30 AM
I'm terrible with math. If I'm at say, Denny's, and the server is good i'll tip 4-5 dollars. If the service is inadaquate, i'll put down 1 or 2. The lowest i've ever tipped is about 30 cents, which is more of a message than anything.

I say tipping is based on performence, not an arbitrary number.

faxman75
10-20-2008, 11:31 AM
acceptable, I double the tax and it is any where from 15% - 16.5% depending on LA or Orange County.

So, what I do is acceptable. Not rude or assholish. That's good.

Now how about calculating at the table? I see this can be avoided now by doubling the tax but even then i'm gonna have trouble without the calculator. Fuck I don't even know what the tax is on food in AZ. Maybe 8%? Hmm. I like the double the tax idea.

faxman75
10-20-2008, 11:34 AM
there isn't "no telling what they make". they are paid a flat hourly rate. and at some places its less than minumum wage. i dont know state by state or restaurant by restaurant how much servers get paid.

How is that telling what they make? They all make different based on the tips factor, that's my point. Some make really fucking great money.

Now do you tip differently at a bar? I generally tip a buck a drink. If I leave a tab open it's usually 15% again.

luckyface
10-20-2008, 11:35 AM
In Arizona, at the restaurant I worked at one summer, the wait staff made $2.13/hour.

I usually take 15% of the total bill (including tax) and round up to the next dollar. If service is exceptional, I will bump it up a few percentages. If service is exceptionally shitty (aka: I get ignored for 30 minutes, the food order is wrong and/or undercooked, rude staff), then they are looking at 10% or lower. I have only left fewer than 10% once, as it was the perfect form of shittiness.

disgustipated
10-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Tell me what seperates a waiter from the clerk at the store who helps you shop? They are both service and both make shit? does the waiter work harder than the fast food employee? The retail clerk helping you in the store? .

The retail clerk doesn't have to deal with you for over an hour.

That said I usually do what Calmer does and just double the tax.

Doubling the tax is an easy way to figure the 15% when your in a state that taxes liquor. There are a number of states that tax the establishment not the patron on alcohol.

faxman75
10-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Ok so it looks like in this thread most people do as I do and other tip a little more. So i'm an adequate or an average tipper according to my math thus far. At least with music fans. It is noted that some tip 20% and look down upon and ridicule those who don't adhere to their specific way of tipping. :)

samiksha
10-20-2008, 11:41 AM
you made this thread looking for a fight. cursing before anyone here had even said anything to you about the way you tip. the way you tip is fine and you already knew that. i hate this thread.

disgustipated
10-20-2008, 11:42 AM
15% is sooooo 1980's

locachica73
10-20-2008, 11:45 AM
My ex husband worked part time bussing tables. The waitresses split their tips with the cook and the bussers. So he got me in the habit of always tipping 20%. I also tip $1 per beer/drink at the bar usually if paying cash, if I run a tab then I do 20% or higher if I get good service. If I get crappy service I do 10%. But it has to be pretty crappy service because I know that even if they suck at service they still have to pay the cook and bussers. And waitresses at bars also have to give the bartender a portion of thier tips. Just think of all the assholes they have to deal with all day and still serve with a smile, that in itself is worth something.

locachica73
10-20-2008, 11:48 AM
and if I get exceptional service I will bump it up above 20%.

faxman75
10-20-2008, 11:52 AM
you made this thread looking for a fight. cursing before anyone here had even said anything to you about the way you tip. the way you tip is fine and you already knew that. i hate this thread.

So randomly cursing about a situation = calling a person an asshole? That's silly. I don't agree at all.

I made this thread looking to comedically discuss the art of tipping. Please, in the future, don't post in threads you hate. It will only make you more upset. :)

samiksha
10-20-2008, 11:53 AM
i know... i'm a glutton for punishment...

canexplain
10-20-2008, 11:56 AM
i will give bartenders a big tip .... waiters 15-20 depending .... if i am some way out of the way place i know i will never come back and the food or service sucks, i leave one penny ... and the math part guys ... geez its easy to figure out 15 percent ... 10 percent which is easy, half of that, add together and there ya go ... i hate when you go on a cruse, they add 20 a day for tips, then also expect you to tip when you leave ..... and foreign time shares are another story( i have a good rep at my condo for that). x****

JustSteve
10-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Now how about calculating at the table? I see this can be avoided now by doubling the tax but even then i'm gonna have trouble without the calculator. Fuck I don't even know what the tax is on food in AZ. Maybe 8%? Hmm. I like the double the tax idea.

can you do basic math in your head? just move the damn decimal point over one position, that gives you 10%. then take half of that amount and add it to the first number.

for example: bill is $28. 10% is $2.80. half that is $1.40. add the numbers up, you get $4.20. if there is change in the bill amount i just round up or down.

i also never tip more than a buck or two on alcohol. no way i am tipping 15% for someone to open a $100 bottle of wine on top of the regular dinner bill. my cousin worked at a 4 star establishment and told me they should be tipped on alcohol. so if i buy a bottle of dom for $400 i am expected to tip $60 for someone to open it? fuck that!

faxman75
Lets get into other forms of tipping. How about a haircut. For those that know me i'm sure you can tell I get mine done at supercuts. I tip a standard $2 on an $11 haircut.

valley parking? IF it's free, I tip $1. IN vegas when they park your car. $2-3$. Society will tip you to death.

SoulDischarge
The law in Ohio is: Non-tipped employees $7.00; tipped employees $3.50.

I usually tip 15%-20% and a dollar per drink, except on $0.50 draught night. I can't justify tipping more than I'm spending on the drink itself. Assuming that all service staff make good money or should get a better job is fucking stupid too. No one works a shitty job for shitty money because they want to.

faxman75
10-20-2008, 12:02 PM
can you do basic math in your head? just move the damn decimal point over one position, that gives you 10%. then take half of that amount and add it to the first number.

for example: bill is $28. 10% is $2.80. half that is $1.40. add the numbers up, you get $4.20. if there is change in the bill amount i just round up or down.

but I have the tool in my phone, why do I want to go through that hassle when computers do the work for me?

i also never tip more than a buck or two on alcohol. no way i am tipping 15% for someone to open a $100 bottle of wine on top of the regular dinner bill. my cousin worked at a 4 star establishment and told me they should be tipped on alcohol. so if i buy a bottle of dom for $400 i am expected to tip $60 for someone to open it? fuck that!

Exactly where does it end? However, if the bottle is on the bill i'm giving 15%.

You are cheaper than me. That requires effort. :)

faxman75
10-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Drinks in vegas are free when you gamble so I end up paying $1 a drink by giving a tip. I think that's pretty standard.

JustSteve
10-20-2008, 12:04 PM
I was in a korean restaurant in NY and the service is diabolical, so much so, 1 of our party didn't even get their meal after 2.5 hours, asked for the bill and the cheeky buggers, automatically added 18%!!!......I refused to pay...but they were arguing they don't eat without the tip!!!

So the question is why don't they just put the prices up? And then we have sales tax.........

most restaurants charge 18% for tip automatically for parties over 6 or 8...but they can't make you pay it. if you want to pay less you have every right to. if you want to pay none of it due to shitty service you have that right, too.

my dad took a woman out to dinner, but everything they ordered came out wrong, undercooked, took forever, etc. at the end of the night after a horrible experience he walked out with out paying. left his number and told them to have the general manager call him. they spoke and a few days later he got a $250 certificate to come back and eat there again. so he got a free meal and money to come back so they could try and make it up to him. as the saying goes "the customer is always right"...

faxman75
10-20-2008, 12:05 PM
How about on airplanes? I always feel I should tip them too and I give them a buck and I don't see anyone else ever tip on an airplane. They don't need tips because they make more than minimum wage?

I think if the service industry is going to accept tips and people are going to argue their salary then I need to see each servers W2 before I decide what i'm gonna give them.

faxman75
10-20-2008, 12:06 PM
most restaurants charge 18% for tip automatically for parties over 6 or 8...but they can't make you pay it. if you want to pay less you have every right to. if you want to pay none of it due to shitty service you have that right, too.

my dad took a woman out to dinner, but everything they ordered came out wrong, undercooked, took forever, etc. at the end of the night after a horrible experience he walked out with out paying. left his number and told them to have the general manager call him. they spoke and a few days later he got a $250 certificate to come back and eat there again. so he got a free meal and money to come back so they could try and make it up to him. as the saying goes "the customer is always right"...

Whoa, that's stealing or as we used to call it back in the day "dine and ditch".

Not cool.

disgustipated
10-20-2008, 12:07 PM
I usually tip 15%-20% and a dollar per drink, except on $0.50 draught night. I can't justify tipping more than I'm spending on the drink itself.

Isnt the bartender doing the same job? Should he/she lose money because the bar decides to run a special?

JustSteve
10-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Exactly where does it end? However, if the bottle is on the bill i'm giving 15%.

You are cheaper than me. That requires effort. :)

hell no, i'm not cheaper than you :) i usually tip 20% if decent service. but if i am eating at the ritz i am not going to tip on alcohol when my bill comes with a $200 bottle of wine and a $200-$300 bottle of champagne. $100 tip to pop a couple corks? no. on bottle's that are already marked up 200-300%. fuck no.

locachica73
10-20-2008, 12:11 PM
I do 20% or higher for haircuts, which gets spendy since it costs $100 to cut/color my hair. I actually tip 20% on almost everything and if I eat somewhere and have a coupon or it is buy one get one half off type thing I still tip on what the full price would have been. The only time I don't tip 20% is the pizza delivery guy, he only gets a buck or two. The way I see it is I usually always go back to the same places, bartenders and wait staff remember good tippers and bad tippers. I would prefer to have them remember me as the good tipper and give me better service then remember me as a bad tipper and spit in my food.

JustSteve
10-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Whoa, that's stealing or as we used to call it back in the day "dine and ditch".

Not cool.

no, he spoke with the manager on duty and told him the situation and asked to have the general manager call him to work it out. the manager on duty was fine with that.

SoulDischarge
10-20-2008, 12:13 PM
That is true. But until today, I was unemployed so I couldn't really afford to tip over $0.50 anyway.

samiksha
10-20-2008, 12:13 PM
ohh you passed a personality test finally?

JustSteve
10-20-2008, 12:16 PM
The only time I don't tip 20% is the pizza delivery guy, he only gets a buck or two.

i actually usually give the pizza guy an extra buck or two because of gas prices. just the mom and pop pizza places that don't charge a delivery fee, though. corporate places that charge $2-3 delivery fee don't get extra because i have been told drivers get a part of that charge to cover fuel.

and you don't think those pizza delivery guys talk? they probably have a list at the store of addresses with bad tippers and every time that addy orders they put a nice big loogie right under the nicely melted cheese. eat up!

amyzzz
10-20-2008, 12:19 PM
We usually tip 20%, but add more if they are really, really, good. If the service really sucks, I mean REALLY sucks, we might do 10%, but I feel guilty even doing that. I tip somewhere between 10 and 20% at the dog groomer's and 20% at the hair salon. My dog gets hairdo 10 times as much as I do though.

faxman75
10-20-2008, 12:20 PM
hell no, i'm not cheaper than you :) i usually tip 20% if decent service. but if i am eating at the ritz i am not going to tip on alcohol when my bill comes with a $200 bottle of wine and a $200-$300 bottle of champagne. $100 tip to pop a couple corks? no. on bottle's that are already marked up 200-300%. fuck no.

Oh, so you make more money than me if you are eating at the Ritz. You should tip more than me based on income. See, that's how it should work. Tipping should be based on the tippers income, not the servers income. Hmm i gotta work out some kinks still.

Courtney
10-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Honestly? I just tip 15-20% for pretty much everything. 15% for reasonable service, 20% if it's good. I hate tipping under 15% even if the service is mediocre, and I can only recall doing that once after which I felt guilty.

The above goes for restaurants, taxi rides, food delivery, haircuts, mani/pedis and massages.

For bars, I tip $1 per drink unless it's a fancy drink that requires them to squeeze juice on-request or something, or if it's a busy night and I want quick service for the next round, in which case I'll tip more. If it's a hosted bar, I don't tip anything because the person paying the bill should be the one tipping. For my local coffee shop, I'll tip $1 per drink because they recognize me and start my drink before I even order it. I should probably tip more.

For travel services, I'll pay airport skycaps $2 to 5 per bag depending on how many bags and if they're oversize/overweight. Same with hotel porters. I'll leave $2-3 per night on the hotel bedside table for housekeeping, but that varies by hotel cost. (I wouldn't tip at a youth hostel; I'd leave $5 per night if it was a 5-star hotel.) I never know how much to pay for concierge services or tour guides.

faxman75
10-20-2008, 12:21 PM
no, he spoke with the manager on duty and told him the situation and asked to have the general manager call him to work it out. the manager on duty was fine with that.

He didn't even pay for the food though? I mean, I understand disputing a tip or an autotip but pay for your food man. Argue the semantics of tipping later or on the coachella board.

JustSteve
10-20-2008, 12:24 PM
He didn't even pay for the food though? I mean, I understand disputing a tip or an autotip but pay for your food man. Argue the semantics of tipping later or on the coachella board.

pay for a meal and experience that was completely horrible? what is their motivation to improve those aspects if people just go ahead and pay and leave dissatisfied?

faxman75
10-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Honestly? I just tip 15-20% for pretty much everything. 15% for reasonable service, 20% if it's good. I hate tipping under 15% even if the service is mediocre, and I can only recall doing that once after which I felt guilty.

The above goes for restaurants, taxi rides, food delivery, haircuts, mani/pedis and massages.

For bars, I tip $1 per drink unless it's a fancy drink that requires them to squeeze juice on-request or something, or if it's a busy night and I want quick service for the next round, in which case I'll tip more. If it's a hosted bar, I don't tip anything because the person paying the bill should be the one tipping. For my local coffee shop, I'll tip $1 per drink because they recognize me and start my drink before I even order it. I should probably tip more.

For travel services, I'll pay airport skycaps $2 to 5 per bag depending on how many bags and if they're oversize/overweight. Same with hotel porters. I'll leave $2-3 per night on the hotel bedside table for housekeeping, but that varies by hotel cost. (I wouldn't tip at a youth hostel; I'd leave $5 per night if it was a 5-star hotel.) I never know how much to pay for concierge services or tour guides.

Wow you seem to have it down. Now if i'm staying at say the Luxor in Vegas in a regular room, how much should I be leaving for a tip on the bedside table? I don't think I have ever ever tipped for them making the bed and throwing out garbage. Is this bad? Is this done at motel 6's too? wtf i'm kinda ignorant I guess. I might consider changing this habbit though. Tell me more about hotel cleaning tipping.

locachica73
10-20-2008, 12:26 PM
I tip at the hotel too, usually $5/night but I pay it when I check out. If we made a huge mess and there are a bunch of empty bottles and/or garbage I will tip a bit more.

amyzzz
10-20-2008, 12:28 PM
I never even think to tip the cleaning lady at the hotel. I don't stay in hotels much. OOPS. :/

luckyface
10-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Isnt the bartender doing the same job? Should he/she lose money because the bar decides to run a special?

Exactly. Don't penalize the staff just because you get a special. If I get a discounted meal, I will at least tip what I should have for the full price. If I somehow end up with a free or almost free meal, I will usually tip huge.

JustSteve
10-20-2008, 12:32 PM
You should tip more than me based on income. See, that's how it should work. Tipping should be based on the tippers income, not the servers income. Hmm i gotta work out some kinks still.

that's just dumb.

Courtney
10-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Wow you seem to have it down. Now if i'm staying at say the Luxor in Vegas in a regular room, how much should I be leaving for a tip on the bedside table? I don't think I have ever ever tipped for them making the bed and throwing out garbage. Is this bad? Is this done at motel 6's too? wtf i'm kinda ignorant I guess. I might consider changing this habbit though. Tell me more about hotel cleaning tipping.

I guess it depends on how much mess you create! If you're leaving your room a wreck -- towels and sheets all over the place, dirty room service dishes, lots of trash, then I'd say it's in pretty poor taste not to leave a tip. If you're staying another night and don't require towel service and make your own bed, it's probably not the end of the world. I'm sure most people don't tip housekeeping.

I'm not sure about the Luxor. If I'm paying around $200 per night for a hotel room, I'd probably leave $3 per night for housekeeping, assuming a normal amount of messiness. For a $300 room probably $4, and for a $400 room then $5. I don't really have much occasion to stay in hotels more expensive than that.

The one caveat is if I'm leaving a lot of expensive electronic equipment or something in my room because it doesn't fit in the safe. Then I'll leave an especially big tip.

faxman75
10-20-2008, 12:43 PM
No, maybe just a bit socialist.

amyzzz
10-20-2008, 12:45 PM
So...the bigger the mess, the bigger the tip. Got it. :thu
That sounds like a good plan.

faxman75
10-20-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm not sure about the Luxor. I'm paying around $200 per night for a hotel room, I'd probably leave $3 per night for housekeeping, assuming a normal amount of messiness. For a $300 room probably $4, and for a $400 room then $5. I don't really have much occasion to stay in hotels more expensive than that.

The one caveat is if I'm leaving a lot of expensive electronic equipment or something in my room because it doesn't fit in the safe. Then I'll leave an especially big tip.

Interesting, i'm fairly neat. I'm not making any beds. I hang up my towel for the shower when i'm done. My stuff is usually in closets or in my bag. My garbage makes it into the trash can save a half full bottle of water or something. The rooms are usually $99 a night or so. I usually leave zero. Should I start leaving a buck or two a night by the bedside? What if I leave a packed bowl is that appreciated?

vinylmartyr
10-20-2008, 12:46 PM
I should get tipped for my contribution to this message board.

Courtney
10-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Interesting, i'm fairly neat. I'm not making any beds. I hang up my towel for the shower when i'm done. My stuff is usually in closets or in my bag. My garbage makes it into the trash can save a half full bottle of water or something. The rooms are usually $99 a night or so. I usually leave zero. Should I start leaving a buck or two a night by the bedside? What if I leave a packed bowl is that appreciated?

I bet that many people staying in hotels in the $50-125 range don't leave tips. So it's probably not expected, but it would probably be especially appreciated exactly because it's not expected. So yeah, not required, but good karma :)

Mr. Dylanja
10-20-2008, 12:54 PM
I usually rip off the corner of a hundo and leave sticking out under a glass of water so they can see it, talk about a buzz kill:thu

marooko
10-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Tip?! baby ill give you the whole thing.

BROKENDOLL
10-20-2008, 01:23 PM
So these cocksuckers made the choice to join a profession that has a subjective income. In europe I was told 10%-15% is plenty by several different europeans. Now maybe they are all cheap but that is what I was told. Here in america you are piece of shit customer if you tip 15% is that right? I give a standard 15% to everyone. Sometimes 18-20% if they are absolutely exceptional. If they are pure shit, they get a buck. No more. I don't care what the bill is but that said, I don't go to places for expensive dinners more than once a year if that. It's always in the 20-40$ range.

There are obvious exceptions and stuff but I stick to a standard 15%. Probably 90% of the time.

I've been told doing the math on my phone is also tacky. Get the fuck out. I'm giving a proper fucking tip. If I don't use my phone, you are going to end up with 10%.

Discuss tipping and how you do it. Woo-hoo! In 2 weeks I become a Professional Cocksucker! It's true, we do only make minimum wage, and the tips make up the difference. (Usually, 15%- 18%.) Where I'm at now, they automatically add 18% to the patron's bill and unfortunately all the servers split that equally. I don't like that because I happen to take pride in my cocksucking, dammit, and while I'm giving top notch service to someone, another server is off somewhere not giving a shit about their tables, yet still getting their share of that tip. Lucky for me, those same patrons see the difference and make a point to request my service the next time, and generally have slipped me a side tip for that service on top of their bill. I've had them do that for simply getting them another cocktail or coffee because their servwer was off dicking around! I have also worked places where the tip for your service is your own, and that has only inspired me to give better service. Generally, it follows the same 15%-18% rule. When I've gone out and gotten good service, I follow the 15-18% and if the service has been on spot and good, 20-25% Hell, I've tipped 20% when something went wrong with the meal, but the server was obviously willing to make up for it in service! Alot of servers would do better if their attitudes didn't suck! It is true that we get taxed on our tips and it's based upon the sales, not the actual tip. I believe it's 8% of the sale. I'd like to think that a server would atleast make an attempt to go beyond that if they were serious about their cocksucking as I am!

You should be paying people to put up with you. LOL I :pulse you, captncrzy! I will say though, the tips can be good, but I've had a customer tell me they didn't really have enough for the whole tip at a place once, but made sure to let me know I was the best service they had ever had. That was rewarding in a non-monetary way. Afew weeks later, that same guy came in for soup and coffee and left $20...

i actually usually give the pizza guy an extra buck or two because of gas prices. just the mom and pop pizza places that don't charge a delivery fee, though. corporate places that charge $2-3 delivery fee don't get extra because i have been told drivers get a part of that charge to cover fuel.

and you don't think those pizza delivery guys talk? they probably have a list at the store of addresses with bad tippers and every time that addy orders they put a nice big loogie right under the nicely melted cheese. eat up! I doubt pizza guys talk as much as servers! Shit, I am not looking forward to all the trivial "he did, she didn't do" shit that interferes with my job soon! While they're all pissing and moaning in the kitchen, I'll be keeping the patrons happy and reaping the benefits up front, thank you!

BROKENDOLL
10-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Oh, and to JustSteve...If you're able to spend $400 for a bottle of wine, you shouldn't worry about the tip at that point! But, here's a tip...Bring your own bottle and you'll probably pay 15$-40$ for a corkage fee to have them open it if it's that big of a deal.

BROKENDOLL
10-20-2008, 01:37 PM
Interesting, i'm fairly neat. I'm not making any beds. I hang up my towel for the shower when i'm done. My stuff is usually in closets or in my bag. My garbage makes it into the trash can save a half full bottle of water or something. The rooms are usually $99 a night or so. I usually leave zero. Should I start leaving a buck or two a night by the bedside? What if I leave a packed bowl is that appreciated? LOL I've done that! Left one rolled right next to the line with a note that said, Thanks!

BROKENDOLL
10-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Tip?! baby ill give you the whole thing. Marooko, you're taking the Professional cocksucker shit way too serious now!

Blinken
10-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Well for hotels, i don't usually have the maid clean every day because of weed smoke or a pipe laying out. But I always try to leave $5 when i check out on the night stand.

TommyboyUNM
10-20-2008, 01:51 PM
I've always been an over-tipper, but I don't have a huge opinion about what other people should tip. Went to Red Lobster today for lunch and the bill was $26. The waitress did a good job so I gave her a $6 tip. That's more than 20%. $5 woulda been more than 20%, but what's an extra dollar if the service was good?

If I'm at a sports bar taking up a table and have a couple of beers, I'll probably tip at least 50%. My friends and I used to go to this bar to eat wings and play trivia. My bill was usually $5. But since we were there for a while, I would usually tip $5. Depends on service and context.

bmack86
10-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Oh, and to JustSteve...If you're able to spend $400 for a bottle of wine, you shouldn't worry about the tip at that point! But, here's a tip...Bring your own bottle and you'll probably pay 15$-40$ for a corkage fee to have them open it if it's that big of a deal.

His point was that he's not going to include the price of the wine in the tip. I think that's perfectly logical for something that, despite the fact that you ordered it, is overpriced and requires minimal effort to deliver. I agree with Steve.

I tip 15%. As stated, if service is excellent, they'll get more, but I'm very willing to go less for substandard service. I've worked in food, and I've worked customer service pretty extensively, and, you know, lots of people just don't care about giving service when they're working. They shouldn't be encouraged to keep that attitude through tips. Sure, it may not be a job you want, but it's still a job and you should still do it with a level of respect for the customer as well as the place you're working. There's very few valid excuses for bad service, and they'll receive a small tip if they're bad. I've had a meal take 1 1/2 hours to get out to me after I ordered. It was a hamburger and fries, and the place wasn't busy. No apologies, the staff didn't even acknowledge the wait. They received pennies for a tip.

boarderwoozel3
10-20-2008, 02:05 PM
I start at 20% and round up to the nearest dollar. Shitty service makes that number goes down, never below ~10% though. But you really have to suck or obviously not give a shit to get a 10% tip from me.

Bars are different. Usually a dollar per drink but that tends to get higher depending on the strength of the drink and how drunk I am. If the barkeep is being a douche and short-pouring me I have no problems expressing my displeasure come tip time.

BROKENDOLL
10-20-2008, 02:13 PM
I agree, bmack86. I didn't actually ever expect to be in the industry, but discovered I was very good at it and found that taking it seriously helps in the rewards. I have a hard time working with those that look at it as, "Fuck, I hate this job, I don't care!" As for the tip on wine tipping, I agree, it's insane to tip that much on a bottle separately from the bill, but in the same sense, why should the server pay 8% on something they don't even get a sip of? That's why I mentioned the corkage fee route. (Actually, that wine may not have a tax to the customer. Not sure. Could be taken care of by the establishment, in which it would be a separate charge from the bill. (Therefore, no tip?) Worth looking into in any case. BTW...I learned a long time ago that if a customer left 2 pennies, it meant it was good service, but they couldn't afford a tip. If it was 1 penny...you sucked at service.

canexplain
10-20-2008, 02:21 PM
one question? what is a haircut :)

geez i have trashed so many hotel rooms ....first thing i always did was turn the trash can into a ice thing for wine so i never had a trash can to thrown things in, always had candle was all over the room, i gave up trying to clean that up ..... usually i never left the room for three days so i always had food from the hotel/condo resterant ... god i bet they hated me, but they did know me by name at more then a couple lol ...x****

bmack86
10-20-2008, 02:24 PM
I agree, bmack86. I didn't actually ever expect to be in the industry, but discovered I was very good at it and found that taking it seriously helps in the rewards. I have a hard time working with those that look at it as, "Fuck, I hate this job, I don't care!" As for the tip on wine tipping, I agree, it's insane to tip that much on a bottle separately from the bill, but in the same sense, why should the server pay 8% on something they don't even get a sip of? That's why I mentioned the corkage fee route. (Actually, that wine may not have a tax to the customer. Not sure. Could be taken care of by the establishment, in which it would be a separate charge from the bill. (Therefore, no tip?) Worth looking into in any case. BTW...I learned a long time ago that if a customer left 2 pennies, it meant it was good service, but they couldn't afford a tip. If it was 1 penny...you sucked at service.

Exactly. You know that most people working there don't want to be waiters or busboys or whatever, but they're still projecting a positive attitude when they come to the table. The penny rule is interesting as well, and I'll remember that.

JustSteve
10-20-2008, 03:19 PM
I learned a long time ago that if a customer left 2 pennies, it meant it was good service, but they couldn't afford a tip. If it was 1 penny...you sucked at service.

was that back when you were growing up? "shave and a haircut, 2 bits..." and all?

what the hell are they doing eating at a restaurant if they can't afford a few bucks for a tip??? are those the same people who always have money for liquor or cigs, but not enough to feed and clothe their kids?

CalmerThanYou
10-20-2008, 04:02 PM
TIPPING IS NOT A CITY IN CHINA

BROKENDOLL
10-20-2008, 04:16 PM
was that back when you were growing up? "shave and a haircut, 2 bits..." and all?

what the hell are they doing eating at a restaurant if they can't afford a few bucks for a tip??? are those the same people who always have money for liquor or cigs, but not enough to feed and clothe their kids? LOL LOL As a matter of fact, it was. Not for me, but my father always referred to the amount of money as 2 bits and I never knew what it was. He hasn't changed either. Last time I went out to lunch with him, he made the statement about 2 bits as we got up to leave. I was friggin' mortified when I saw like 2 quarters on the table! The service was good so I dropped another $5 when he went walking away. I'm assuming a bit is 25 cents then? As for those that couldn't afford to tip? The guy was a truckdriver. Considering they eat out sometimes 2-3 times a day, I imagine that could get costly. Like I mentioned, he came back and made up for it. Another time was a family with kids. The mother actually had the kids stack their plates and clean up the crumbs! I see no difference between that and someone who spends $400 on a bottle of wine but bitches about the added tip.

algunz
10-20-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm a total over tipper. I round up and double. For example if the total after tax is 34.50, I would tip $7.

I've done a lot of work in food service - hostess, waitress, bartender. I completely appreciate their efforts.

faxman75
10-20-2008, 04:40 PM
I have done zero work in the industry aside from some fast food as a teen. I truely appreciate their efforts as well. My 15% should show that.

M Sparks
10-20-2008, 04:42 PM
If they are good, I will do quick glance math and do approx 20%, rounded up or down. (So a $38 check and a $42 check will both get $8)

If they are noticeably poor servers, I will go out of my way to tip exactly 15% to the penny. Sometimes, I'll do exactly 15% of the pre-tax total, or do 15% of the food only and subtract beers or whatever. They have to really suck though.

I will occasionally tip 25-35%. I'll do that if...

1)It's a cheap place, but the service is fantastic. If I'm at a fancy place, I expect great service at a minimum, and their tip is going to be higher automatically, because the checks are higher. If I'm at a diner with a $15 check for 2 people and the service is top level, I'm going to give them $4-$5.

2)If I'm at a place I go to regularly, and I get a server who is better than usual, I will try to tip them very well. If I get that person again, they will treat me even better. If I get someone else and they do an average or poor job, my hope is that they compare notes. "That guy always tips me 30%" "Well, why did I get 12%?"

3)It's not an expensive place, but I'm with a large group. Let's say you go to a pizza place with 8 people. You order 2 $12 pies and 8 iced teas. The bill might only be $40, but if the server manages to keep 8 drinks full, I think they deserve at least another $10.

JustSteve
10-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Oh, so you make more money than me if you are eating at the Ritz. You should tip more than me based on income. See, that's how it should work. Tipping should be based on the tippers income, not the servers income. Hmm i gotta work out some kinks still.

most people i know that have a good amount of money have it because they are actually pretty frugal. just because they may be worth millions doesn't mean they spend frivolously. they got that way by saving money, not throwing it around and wasting it. and judging by how many people are in credit card debt nightmares it may be the way everyone should do it. i have friends that bitch about having no money, yet they are out at the bar 5 nights a week and eating out 2 meals a day. they could have thousands of dollars in the bank if they weren't so dumb. it amazes me sometimes. i don't have a ton of money, but i save it and spend it once in awhile on a special night out instead of a bunch of meaningless nights out.

faxman75
10-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Well said, i'm one of the dumb ones but you are exactly right. We are dumb american consumers.

CalmerThanYou
10-20-2008, 04:54 PM
tipping is for pussies. Man up, stare them in the eye, and remind them that we're in a fucking recession.

:/

gaypalmsprings
10-20-2008, 04:55 PM
http://www.dasuburbz.com/comics/comics_images/cowtippingscene1.gif

http://www.dasuburbz.com/comics/comics_images/cowtippingscene2.gif

http://www.dasuburbz.com/comics/comics_images/cowtippingscene3.gif

amyzzz
10-20-2008, 04:56 PM
I prefer to live well than to save. I will be old and penniless I suppose.

someone
10-20-2008, 07:10 PM
15-20% is the standard. Not sure why you're feeling all defensive on 15%. It's just the lowest end of what a server expects, but is by no means indecent.

Next, if you go into a restaurant and get service, then you go into it knowing that you have to tip. If you don't have enough money to tip, don't fucking eat at a restaurant. Go to the grocery store and make something, you lazy fucks.

Being served food takes a great deal of effort, and contrary to popular belief, it takes skill and patience, and there aren't great options for everyone. A single mom might need that restaurant job because it has flexible hours and can actually pay her bills. When you start judging people for getting into an industry based on tips instead of "learning how to type" then you are a fucking elitist class warrior, and an ignorant one at that. Anyone CAN be a server, but not everyone can be a good one. Just like all of you idiots exist, doesn't mean you don't fucking suck at it.

I waitressed my whole way through college, does that mean I didn't know how to type? People who don't tip or have some great justification for not doing it are fucking retarded. The reason there is no tip expected in other countries is because the tip is included in the bill. Their prices are higher because they pay their servers more, or service charge has been added.

That doesn't mean bad service doesn't mean you have to feel guilty about not tipping. By all means, don't tip a server who ignores you and is rude. But a capable server with a good attitude who didn't spit in your food after you ordered an all egg-white omelet with no butter, onions chopped extra thin, with capers on the side and double decaf chai latte, deserves 15% or more.

Lastly, bartenders pop off a top and we give them a buck, a 200% + tip and no one is arguing, but a server runs around for you, argues with the kitchen to get your order out to you, smiles at you when you're slow, dumb, and rude, and "we'll see how we tip them". Retarded.

TomAz
10-20-2008, 08:07 PM
fuck the lackeys. they should pay me.

BROKENDOLL
10-21-2008, 11:29 AM
fuck the lackeys. they should pay me. TomAz, let me guess...You'ld like your omelet made with Egg Beaters, cooked soft, bacon well done then blotted with a napkin to remove any grease, and your breakfast potatoes chopped up in 1/4 inch squares with no bell peppers? Then you'll proceed to chop everything up into a combined mash that you can dip your dry, lightly toasted english muffin in as a spoon and wash it all down with a cup of hot herbal tea...All this just for a smug smile while you make a turd later on, right?

chairmenmeow47
10-21-2008, 12:13 PM
i tip 2 for every $10. that's 20% and a hell of a lot easier for me to remember than doubling this, multiplying this by that or using a freaking calculator. if someone is really awesome, i'll throw down extra. not based on any special math again, but more based on what bills i have available. or i just don't ask for any change.

i hate the whole tipping bullshit though. why on earth can we not just pay these people a normally salary like in europe? i never went into serving. not only because i am clumsy, but because i like money. i like knowing exactly how much money i'm getting.

what bothers me the most though is having to tip out at hotels. you tip someone parking the car, you tip someone bringing the bags inside, you tip someone bringing them up to your room, you tip the person who brings you food, jesus effing christ!!! it's like hidden fees! just tell me how much to fucking pay for something, bottom line, and cut your staff their portion. i shouldn't have to figure out how much to pay them, or just "know" that they also have to split their tip with a busser or hostess or whatever. especially if i'm just buying a six dollar burger and an iced-tea. come the fuck on.

unless you're working at some place where you're pretty much guaranteed to make bank in tips, i think people who CHOOSE to serve are making a stupid decision. i'd rather work fast food, where i know how much i'm getting, than below minimum wage and have to guess what i'm going to make every day.

mountmccabe
10-21-2008, 12:21 PM
I have gotten a lot of bad service/wrong orders when eating as fast food places. They know you're not going to tip them so they/(some people) care less about how they serve you.

Also basically this point was made already upthread. But still, it makes sense.

chairmenmeow47
10-21-2008, 12:56 PM
everyone in europe gave me exactly what i ordered with normal service i could expect here and i didn't have to tip them.

faxman75
10-21-2008, 01:01 PM
i tip 2 for every $10. that's 20% and a hell of a lot easier for me to remember than doubling this, multiplying this by that or using a freaking calculator. if someone is really awesome, i'll throw down extra. not based on any special math again, but more based on what bills i have available. or i just don't ask for any change.

i hate the whole tipping bullshit though. why on earth can we not just pay these people a normally salary like in europe? i never went into serving. not only because i am clumsy, but because i like money. i like knowing exactly how much money i'm getting.

what bothers me the most though is having to tip out at hotels. you tip someone parking the car, you tip someone bringing the bags inside, you tip someone bringing them up to your room, you tip the person who brings you food, jesus effing christ!!! it's like hidden fees! just tell me how much to fucking pay for something, bottom line, and cut your staff their portion. i shouldn't have to figure out how much to pay them, or just "know" that they also have to split their tip with a busser or hostess or whatever. especially if i'm just buying a six dollar burger and an iced-tea. come the fuck on.

unless you're working at some place where you're pretty much guaranteed to make bank in tips, i think people who CHOOSE to serve are making a stupid decision. i'd rather work fast food, where i know how much i'm getting, than below minimum wage and have to guess what i'm going to make every day.

You have encompassed my thoughts exactly. Just include the service fee on my check or pay them a sallary that's reasonable and get rid of any and all tipping. It's out of control.

Have you heard the Carolla rant on tipping? I think it was him, unless it was Stern but it was back in the day and it's just endless. You just keep tipping everyone from the person who opens your door, to the bellman to hotel room. Way too much.

amyzzz
10-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Just carry your own fucking bags and don't park in valet parking. Problem solved.

faxman75
10-21-2008, 01:18 PM
I do carry my own bags. The parking issue isn't as easy depending on the casino, one wrong turn and your back out on that nightmare strip sitting in traffic again. That is the way to go though amyzzz. That still doesn't solve the issue of tipping the room service peeps though.

Another one that is fun in Vegas is tipping the dealers. The ones that deal you the cards that take your money. When you win, you should tip they say, it's difficult for us card. roullette and crap players to figure out exactly when to toss the dealer a few dollars.. If you lose 23 hands in a row and then win a big one, it's not fun to give that dealer even a buck.

amyzzz
10-21-2008, 01:22 PM
I got some extra towels the other day, and I didn't think to tip. I've gotta remember the maid service.

(also, don't order room service, ya silly).

chairmenmeow47
10-21-2008, 01:24 PM
i generally carry my own bags, but i still have to feel like some sort of cheap bastard everytime i say it. and not all hotels have options to self-park.

bmack86
10-21-2008, 01:40 PM
I always carry my own bags. And park my own car. That's how my parents always did it, and that's how I've grown used to doing it.

faxman75
10-21-2008, 01:47 PM
I got some extra towels the other day, and I didn't think to tip. I've gotta remember the maid service.

(also, don't order room service, ya silly).

Oh I don't. I think I have ordered room service once in my life and it was here in Phoenix for a birthday or anniversary or some shit. I've never lived the lap of luxary at 5 star hotels, dining at the ritz carlton and that sort of thing. I do tend to order extra towels when I squeeze 5 people in a hotel room to make things cheaper though.