PDA

View Full Version : The David Byrne/Talking Heads Reunion at Coachella 2009 Thread

BlackSwan
10-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Obviously a Talking Heads reunion would be the greatest performance to grace the polo fields... ever, but David Byrne playing a Talking Heads set wouldn't be too bad either. This is thread to concentrate all the will of the general obsession with the Talking Heads on this board to making one of them happen this year.

Also, for all of the people who know lots of details about the rift between the band, include whatever you know here to educate the younger crowd who never got a chance to see Talking Heads live and didn't follow the break up as much as you may have.

robotrock1382
10-15-2008, 10:14 AM
i read recently that one, they all despise him and two, he absolutely refuses to play any of those songs live. ever. i'm not sure, but i think it would be a long shot before that ever happened. it sucks

Quadromarshia
10-15-2008, 10:18 AM
i read recently that one, they all despise him and two, he absolutely refuses to play any of those songs live. ever. i'm not sure, but i think it would be a long shot before that ever happened. it sucks

Monday, Oct. 6, 2008, Davies Symphony Hall, San Francisco, CA

“Strange Overtones”
“I Zimbra”
“One Fine Day”
“Help Me Somebody”
“Houses in Motion”
“My Big Nurse”
“My Big Hands (Fall Through the Cracks)”
“Heaven”
“The River”

“Crosseyed and Painless”
“Life is Long”
“Once in a Lifetime”
“Life During Wartime”
“I Feel My Stuff”
Encore:
“Take Me to the River”
“The Great Curve”
“Burning Down the House”

boarderwoozel3
10-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Talking Heads indeed. Everyone just needs to hug, makeup and play Coachella :D

orbit
10-15-2008, 10:24 AM
byrne said he wouldn't get the talking heads to reunite even for $100 million.

BlackSwan
10-15-2008, 10:28 AM
David Byrne doesn't seem the sentimental sort. A Talking Heads reunion at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony six years ago had his ex-bandmates beaming and the audience a little misty. It was, after all, the first performance by the legendary New Wave act in years. Byrne, however, seemed a little twitchy and uncomfortable that night.

But twitchiness and discomfort have served him well. They've resulted in more than three decades of music that rarely doubles back. Through his inventive work with the Heads and a variety of solo projects in addition to film, photography, art and running a label, Byrne comes across as a guy always thinking about the next thing.

We still seem to be in the throes of reunion fever, but your band is one of the holdouts. Do you look back at Talking Heads with anything resembling nostalgia? Discomfort? Glee?

Ohhh ... [Long silence.]

Like a yearbook photo?

It is kind of like a yearbook photo. To be honest, I don't think about it that much. Now that I'm about to embark on a tour I can reference stuff -- things I did on Talking Heads tours. What I learned from them. Things I felt were done wrong, things I felt were done right. It's just part of a learning experience, I guess. I do I have a little nostalgia for the very early days before we were cast into the public eye. There was nice period where you could kind of experiment and try different directions and different instrumentation or different kinds of songs. And you had about 20 people paying attention, but that didn't matter. You could feel your way around and there wasn't a blogosphere commenting on your every move.

So if that ABBA investor guy offered you $100 million to get the Talking Heads together, you wouldn't go out and sing?

Oh, my God. [Laughs] You know I'm just not interested in the reunion thing -- though it's been very popular and lucrative for a lot of people.

http://www.spinner.com/2008/08/21/david-byrne-not-feeling-nostalgic-on-new-album-or-for-talking-he/

orbit
10-15-2008, 10:33 AM
yeah, that's the interview.

time to let this thread die and focus on bowie's.

BlackSwan
10-15-2008, 10:36 AM
time to let this thread die and focus on bowie's.

or you can just sod off.

Quadromarshia
10-15-2008, 10:40 AM
I would approve of this thread more if the word "reunion" wasn't in the title.

Or if it was just a David Byrne '09 thread. Which i'm behind completely.

Because honestly, who's dick does a guy have to suck to get him (and the other DB of course) to come to Coachella?

boarderwoozel3
10-15-2008, 10:44 AM
For fuck's sake! Who do all the good ones have the issues?

*Psst* David, we know you don't need the money, but we would really like to see you play with the Heads!

boarderwoozel3
10-15-2008, 10:46 AM

Because honestly, who's dick does a guy have to suck to get him (and the other DB of course) to come to Coachella?

Oh snap. (DB)2 @ Coachella 09!

I'd settle for a David Byrne set only if he incorporated a solid number of Talking Heads songs.

BlackSwan
10-15-2008, 10:48 AM

I was trying to be all inclusive here... when it comes down to it I want a full set of Talking Heads songs.

Quadromarshia
10-15-2008, 10:48 AM
His live versions of TH songs are fantastic. I don't think I would want to see TH now; the main reason would be to just be there, in front of them, surrounded by their music.

Their live albums capture them (especially SMS) at their peak. There was still magic back then, and they actually liked each other. You're not going to get a stage performance like SMS out of them even if they did play a reunion. You'd get another R&R hall of fame performance, which was underwhelming.

I would take a David Byrne solo performance over a forced, plastic TH reunion show.

Quadromarshia
10-15-2008, 10:50 AM

“Strange Overtones”
“I Zimbra”
“One Fine Day”
“Help Me Somebody”
“Houses in Motion”
“My Big Nurse”
“Heaven”
“The River”

“Crosseyed and Painless”
“Life is Long”
“Once in a Lifetime”
“Life During Wartime”
“I Feel My Stuff”
Encore:
“Take Me to the River”
“The Great Curve”
“Burning Down the House”

Add This Must Be The Place to that, and I'd say that's a pretty solid TH heavy set list.

sbessiso
10-15-2008, 11:44 AM
jesus christ, why is he being such a little bitch? He MUST be BFFs with Morrissey

robotrock1382
10-15-2008, 11:57 AM
well damn. sorry for that post. my mistake. i'm not a huge fan but a friend is and i think he told me what i posted about db not playing talking head songs.

kitt kat
10-15-2008, 12:07 PM
I'd be TOTALY 100% OKAY with a D. Byrne solo set with Heads' songs.

D. Byrne is a crazy-ass motherfucker who just has no human desire to get the Heads back together, even if for only one night. Maybe it has something to do with his Aspbergers (sp?) because I know that really strained the relationships he had with people in the band. (Esp. Chris and Tina?)

Oh, and Pitchfork recently interviewed him and it touched upon some very telling things about why he'll never get the Heads together:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feature/145622-interview-david-byrne

Pitchfork: For a long time I think people painted a simplistic portrait of you, or at least your personality. This anxious, nervous, neurotic guy. But listening to your singing on the new record, and in fact your last couple of records, I don't think you've ever sounded more at ease with yourself. It's very warm.

DB: Thank you. I'm glad that comes across. It's kind of the way I felt when I was singing. That's probably a little bit reflective of various... being older, being a slightly different kind of person. I realized that was changing some years ago, and I thought, oh, people are going to miss the old kind of more nervous, yelpy guy. But there's nothing much I can do about that. Those records still exist. It's not like it's totally unavailable.

Pitchfork: When you do hear those old records, does it sound like a different person at this point?

DB: Oh, yeah! I mean, I realize it's me, and I can remember writing that stuff. But I also realize I would never write the same things now. It's kind of sad, but that's the way it goes.

boarderwoozel3
10-15-2008, 12:33 PM
^^

O NOEZ!

enriquevs
10-15-2008, 01:43 PM
what reunion do you think it's more possible? talking heads or the smiths?

i go for the smiths.

i want david byrne and bowie for 09.

LooseAtTheZoo
10-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Don't put all the blame on Byrne for not wanting a reunion. The majority of his former bandmates despise him and want nothing to do with the Talking Heads.

The Smiths are no more possible than Talking Heads for 2009. What was Morrissey's quote, something like he would rather eat his own balls than reunite the Smiths? Once again, another band where the members hate each other now

BlackSwan
10-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Don't put all the blame on Byrne for not wanting a reunion. The majority of his former bandmates despise him and want nothing to do with the Talking Heads.

I've heard that, but in this write up it says...

Talking Heads reunion at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony six years ago had his ex-bandmates beaming

Something tells me that if Byrne wanted it to happen... it would.

SoulDischarge
10-15-2008, 02:09 PM
As disappointing as it is, you have to give the man credit for trying to always move forward and not fake his way through forced nostalgia. I really hope I can make it to his solo show next week.

LooseAtTheZoo
10-15-2008, 02:10 PM
I've heard that, but in this write up it says...

Something tells me that if Byrne wanted it to happen... it would.

Where is that write up from? I didn't even think that performance was the original lineup.

the long grift
10-15-2008, 02:14 PM
It's alright... Talking Heads are boring, anyhow.... I am not a kid, by any means, but be real, TH were probably awesome if you were to see them at CB's, or soonafter, but would there not be so many more EXCITING reunions to see... I mean, TH would be playing like Sonoma Winery w/ Blondie, sooner than later... They are a band that only douchebag music critics like, good musicians sure, but no passion.

They would be boring, is what I mean, kind of a waste of a slot... It will not happen anyway, as much chance as Black Flag, Kyuss, Faith No More... Three, without a doubt, that I would rather see more...

the long grift
10-15-2008, 02:19 PM
I would rather see The Smiths do it, and that it saying something because Morrissey is god awful... That won't happen , either...

SoulDischarge
10-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Point taken.

BlackSwan
10-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Where is that write up from? I didn't even think that performance was the original lineup.

http://www.spinner.com/2008/08/21/david-byrne-not-feeling-nostalgic-on-new-album-or-for-talking-he/

anonimouse
10-15-2008, 02:35 PM
i would be very happy with david byrne, talking heads or no

so with him now we just need bowie and one more headliner with the first name david and the last name starting with a b

Jman4321
10-15-2008, 02:45 PM
My friend lives in Tiburon, CA and that is where Jerry Harrison, the keyboardist and guitarist for the Talking Heads, resides. Jerry, Chris Frantz, and Tina Weymouth put on a show in the city about 3 years or so back called "All Talking, No Heads" where the three of them played instrumentally without David Byrne. Jerry's son went to high school with my friend, a huge Talking Heads fan, and thus the topic of reuniting frequently came up between the two. Apparently when Jerry was asked about the reunion, this instrumental show was intended to be a full fledged reunion and when they called David he sternly (and apparently quite angrily) said that it would never happen.

About a week or so ago I saw David Byrne play in San Francisco and at the beginning of the set he introduced the concert as being "songs he made with Brian Eno and some other people." One fan in the orchestra pit took the dive and yelled "Bring back the Heads!!!" to which David shrugged off by adding, "Yeah, those would be some of those people." He seems very adamant to keep that period of his musical career in the past. It sucks. I would love to see the original band play. I think their appearance as a group would bring out a lot of energy between them and thus be grounds for an amazing set. I just don't think it will happen.

BlackSwan
10-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Now that is a useful post... just to clarify you meant No Talking, Just Head. The also put out an album in '96... here the review from allmusic.com that sheds more light on it...

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drc800/c808/c80868fm84g.jpg

Since David Byrne refused to join Jerry Harrison, Tina Weymouth and Chris Frantz in reuniting Talking Heads, the trio truncated the group's name to the Heads and recorded an album with a variety of lead singers, who all contributed their own lyrics as well. Therefore, it's no surprise that much of No Talking Just Head depends on the quality of the group's collaborators. Unfortunately, much of the band's partners -- which includes Debbie Harry, Andy Partridge, Richard Hell, Maria McKee, Shaun Ryder, Michael Hutchence and Johnette Napolitano -- are as barren of ideas as the Heads themselves. For instance, the group and Napolitano decide that sub-Nine Inch Nails noise is "scary" on the excrutiating "Damage I've Done." Though the rest of the album doesn't feature anything quite so wretched, most of it is simply bland and only Andy Partridge and Shaun Ryder demonstrate much imagination with their contributions.

Jman4321
10-15-2008, 03:03 PM
I feared I would get the name backwards

BlackSwan
10-15-2008, 03:08 PM
I feared I would get the name backwards

No problemo, either way it helped shed light on why they haven't reunited.

Jman4321
10-15-2008, 03:15 PM
However a David Byrne set would not be shabby to those who would be disappointed about no full band. The show I saw was absolutely stellar and while the concert was a bit swayed towards material from his new album, it still maintained an amazing run for the 2 hours he played. The new material sounded fantastic even though I had never heard it before and generally when I don't know a majority of the songs at a show I tend to become agitated. More so, when he did play Talking Heads songs, all hell broke loose He stuck to songs from Fear of Music, Remain in Light, and Speaking in Tongues (also one song from More Songs About Buildings and Food), and every selection was amazing. I should add that I saw him at a stately and austere symphony hall and yet people lost their shit and stormed past ushers into the orchestra pit aisles when he played the first notes of "Life During Wartime". The point I'm trying to get at is reunion or no, I still would be happy with him playing, if not a little disappointed to see him without the players who wrote the music performing it. He would still be a strong act and considering the show I saw very likely headliner material.

BlackSwan
10-15-2008, 03:22 PM
did you go to this one...?

“Strange Overtones”
“I Zimbra”
“One Fine Day”
“Help Me Somebody”
“Houses in Motion”
“My Big Nurse”
“Heaven”
“The River”

“Crosseyed and Painless”
“Life is Long”
“Once in a Lifetime”
“Life During Wartime”
“I Feel My Stuff”
Encore:
“Take Me to the River”
“The Great Curve”
“Burning Down the House”

I would be very happy if Byrne was at Coachella Talking Heads reunion or not, the best in that case would be if he was booked to play a full Talking Heads material set, which I'm not sure he would be willing to do.

Jman4321
10-15-2008, 03:31 PM
yeah that was the set. he brought out a ridiculous marching band for burning down the house. as you see in that set list, he doesn't have a large majority of Talking Heads songs but the ones he picked are simply scorchers. At least I think they're scorchers lol I would hope that he would just do only TH songs but I fear it would go against his apparent hesitation to travel into the past completely

Foucault
10-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Can I just comment that this is one of the most info-packed, useful, and level-headed threads I've yet to encounter on here. Surely it will soon devolve into flaming, disgusting remarks about Britney or Justice, and a pathetic reference to Radiohead. Until then, I'm enjoying reading this. Thx.

BlackSwan
10-15-2008, 03:50 PM
You are very welcome Foucault.

kitt kat
10-15-2008, 04:27 PM
yeah that was the set. he brought out a ridiculous marching band for burning down the house.

OMG. Imagining this---it's awesome.

BlackSwan
10-15-2008, 04:31 PM
OMG. Imagining this---it's awesome.

You could watch it too...

DcmCAOrgqKA

I will regret missing that show for the rest of my life.

SoulDischarge
10-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Thank you for convincing me to not miss David Byrne solo at any cost. Devo/Black Keys & Byrne in the same week. Life is good.

BlackSwan
10-15-2008, 04:34 PM
The worst part is I had like 12th row tickets.

Boourns
10-15-2008, 04:36 PM
"Burning Down the House" needs to be played at the polo fields somehow.

Quadromarshia
10-15-2008, 04:45 PM
I would be very happy if Byrne was at Coachella Talking Heads reunion or not, the best in that case would be if he was booked to play a full Talking Heads material set, which I'm not sure he would be willing to do.

He already plays a TH heavy set anyways. Are you not a fan of his solo work?

BlackSwan
10-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Are you not a fan of his solo work?

I am a fan, but an all Talking Heads set by Byrne would be more unique than the standard mixed set he does... also he seems like he is picky about what he does play... for this tour it was only songs they did with Eno which cuts out a lot (even though he still played "Burning Down The House").

anonimouse
10-15-2008, 05:31 PM

i hear ya. i had tickets for david byrne with arcade fire at the hollywood bowl and i didnt go. cant remember what came up but looking back im sure it wasnt that important

anyway we have to be realistic here. i honestly think there is a greater chance of him doing a talking heads reunion before he would do a solo set of just talking heads songs. i dont think i'd want to see just that anyway. his solo stuff has always been really good

sbessiso
10-15-2008, 06:12 PM
where should I start with Byrne;s solo stuff?

Jman4321
10-15-2008, 06:19 PM
if that youtube video of "burning down the house" doesn't prove that Byrne is headliner material then I don't know what does. That song never gets old to me.

sbessiso
10-15-2008, 06:35 PM
I think he could totally headline a smaller fest with ease, but not Co-ah-Chella

cansei de ser sexme
10-15-2008, 06:38 PM
yeah that was the set. he brought out a ridiculous marching band for burning down the house. as you see in that set list, he doesn't have a large majority of Talking Heads songs but the ones he picked are simply scorchers. At least I think they're scorchers lol I would hope that he would just do only TH songs but I fear it would go against his apparent hesitation to travel into the past completely

Did that at the hollywood bowl too, with The Arcade Fire. That was awesome, also a "crazy In Love" cover with the band too. My brother missed it for a sleepover lol what a loser.

SoulDischarge
10-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Jesus. Seeing David Byrne cover "Crazy In Love" has to be one of those Prince - "Creep" moments.

sbessiso
10-15-2008, 07:30 PM
where should I start with Byrne;s solo stuff?

*cough cough*
*chirp chirp*

Quadromarshia
10-15-2008, 08:02 PM
*cough cough*
*chirp chirp*

hm. sorry about that

Two records to pick up (non-live)- Grown Backwards, and Everything That Happens Will Happen Today, w/Brian Eno.

My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts is one of my favorite albums period, but I wouldn't start there.

Otherwise get a copy of "Live from Austin, TX". That's got a good smattering of his songs.

sbessiso
10-15-2008, 08:06 PM
oh wow, I TOTALLY forgot about my query. thanks!!

ETHWHT w/Eno is the new one, right?

Quadromarshia
10-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Yes sir!

sbessiso
10-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Hurray! Thanks a trill

Quadromarshia
10-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Let me know what you think!

sbessiso
10-15-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm gunna pick up Grown Backwards and My Life in the Bush of Ghosts tomorrow hopefully.

Quadromarshia
10-15-2008, 08:11 PM
Those would be the two that I recommend the most.

Watch the video for Mea Culpa on you tube!

Quadromarshia
10-15-2008, 08:11 PM
W3mcR8hrRXQ

SoulDischarge
10-15-2008, 08:12 PM
There's no reason not to start with My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts. You just have to realize it's mostly poly rhythmic instrumentals with samples of preachers, but it's not too far from what the Talking Heads were doing around the same time. I actually don't know any Byrne solo stuff outside of The Catherine Wheel, but that one's pretty good as far as I remember.

SoulDischarge
10-15-2008, 08:12 PM
I love the "Mea Culpa" video.

sbessiso
10-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Adding The Catherine Wheel to that list. Also, Pat, it was "Fear of Music" that you told me I needed right? I've been on such a serious rampage this week, it's SCARY

that video is intense

SoulDischarge
10-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Don't worry too much about that one. Fear Of Music is a must though.

Quadromarshia
10-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Fear of Music is tied with More Songs about Buildings and Food for me.

Both are desert island discs for me though

jazzz
10-15-2008, 08:27 PM
hm. sorry about that

Two records to pick up (non-live)- Grown Backwards, and Everything That Happens Will Happen Today, w/Brian Eno.

My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts is one of my favorite albums period, but I wouldn't start there.

Otherwise get a copy of "Live from Austin, TX". That's got a good smattering of his songs.

My Life In the Bush Of Ghost is hard to beat. I do like what you recommend but I also like Rei Momo, Uh-Oh and The Catherine Wheel records a lot.

Also I think David's got the problem w/ Tina Weymouth & Chris Frantz from what I've read over the years but never heard the real reason why... I was thinking it was because they were a couple. Does anyone know? I would be happy with David Byrne at Coachella but let's no forget that Tom Tom Club put out some great stuff!

jazzz
10-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Adding The Catherine Wheel to that list. Also, Pat, it was "Fear of Music" that you told me I needed right? I've been on such a serious rampage this week, it's SCARY

that video is intense

Sbessiso you got to listen to David Byrne's record "Rei Momo" since your from Miami! great latin/heads feel. Makes me want to be on vacation!!

sbessiso
10-15-2008, 08:32 PM
gaaa, now i'm being overwhelmed, but I'll add it to the list. on that note, sorry jazzz but fuck miami with a rusty pole. adding Miami to something makes me want to burn it and piss all over it. phew. pardon that

jazzz
10-15-2008, 08:40 PM
I think I know what your saying... but I think Miami got some great Latin jazz & Flordian/Cuban food that I love to check out when I'm there. (few hookers too)lol

Quadromarshia
10-15-2008, 08:46 PM
I think I know what your saying... but I think Miami got some great Latin jazz & Flordian/Cuban food that I love to check out when I'm there. (few hookers too)lol

Find a place called 'Latin America'. It's somewhere around the area of FIU, and it has seats outside. The food is great, and the Argentine steak is both delicious and cheap.

It was an integral part of my Cinco de Mayo celebration!

sbessiso
10-15-2008, 08:46 PM
FIU North or South?

Quadromarshia
10-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Uhm... the area near the miami-dade fairgrounds... near a big shopping plaza...aaaand it's where the dorms are all Key West style

sbessiso
10-15-2008, 08:50 PM
thats gotta be FIU South. Sorry Quad, fuck that shit. None of us venture that far from the beach. it's like another planet away

Quadromarshia
10-15-2008, 08:51 PM
thats gotta be FIU South. Sorry Quad, fuck that shit. None of us venture that far from the beach. it's like another planet away

it's this place! http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2006/11/30/florida-dining-latin-american-cafeteria-restaurant/

yeah yeah... I usually end up in miami beach on saturday nights, underdressed and overly drunk.

sbessiso
10-15-2008, 08:53 PM
I usually end up in miami beach on saturday nights, underdressed and overly drunk.

Ooh, I got distracted. what were we talking about again?

jazzz
10-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Find a place called 'Latin America'. It's somewhere around the area of FIU, and it has seats outside. The food is great, and the Argentine steak is both delicious and cheap.

It was an integral part of my Cinco de Mayo celebration!

Amsterdam has a few Argentine Steak restaurants that are amazing.

the place I hit in Miami has a outside patio with a walk up to order. serves beers and great latin food. Can't think of the name maybe Pluto's or Rickys... Lots of freaks walking by... fun.

BlackSwan
10-15-2008, 09:41 PM
hmm... ok.

salah, wait you don't have all the Talking Heads albums yet?

sbessiso
10-15-2008, 09:44 PM
I have almost all of them, im pretty sure all im missing is fear of music.

i have remain in light, speaking in tongues, 77, ..buildings and food, naked, and little creatures

BlackSwan
10-15-2008, 09:46 PM
ah, ok. fear of music is crucial... should be #1 importance.

SoulDischarge
10-15-2008, 09:52 PM
Do I smell-- I smell home cooking. It's only the river! it's only the river!

Foucault
10-15-2008, 10:04 PM
You could watch it too...

DcmCAOrgqKA

OMG: Was that the Raiderettes on stage with him and his band? I regret missing that show too, damnit.

JSam67
10-15-2008, 10:46 PM
<----- Obviously (see avatar pic), I am on board with this idea. And while a Talking Heads reunion would be the greatest single show I think I could ever attend, I'd loooove to see even just Byrne there this year. And I think it will happen.

How about a little Byrne --> Bowie on Sunday? I'm pretty sure I'd die.

Jman4321
10-15-2008, 11:35 PM
OMG: Was that the Raiderettes on stage with him and his band? I regret missing that show too, damnit.

They were called the Ultra-Action Marching Band and describe themselves as being an "Alternative" marching band from San Francisco.

Quadromarshia
10-16-2008, 06:21 AM
I have almost all of them, im pretty sure all im missing is fear of music.

i have remain in light, speaking in tongues, 77, ..buildings and food, naked, and little creatures

naked and little creatures can wait. memories can't (but that's another story)

enriquevs
10-16-2008, 08:32 AM

wow... that would be the most epic of the epic.

kitt kat
10-16-2008, 12:30 PM
gah that video was AMAZING

Quadromarshia
10-16-2008, 01:33 PM
haha for real.

that was my introduction to david byrne/brian eno collaborations

LooseAtTheZoo
10-16-2008, 04:00 PM
<----- Obviously (see avatar pic), I am on board with this idea. And while a Talking Heads reunion would be the greatest single show I think I could ever attend, I'd loooove to see even just Byrne there this year. And I think it will happen.

Could Byrnes' ego handle playing as a subheadliner to Bowie?

sbessiso
10-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Byrne was barely a subheadliner at ACL

sbessiso
10-17-2008, 04:48 AM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0D00413EC23F42F9

I'm seriously debating this, if I were to go, I would HAVE to get the pit (most expensive) tix. I'm just not sure if I can/want to spend the $$$

someone convince me!!!

Quadromarshia
10-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Could Byrnes' ego handle playing as a subheadliner to Bowie?

David Byrne has an ego?

I think you're mixing up his not willing to reunite with TH (mostly Tina) as him being above them or something. Well he's not, he's just a dick.

But not as much as Morrissey

BlackSwan
10-17-2008, 12:07 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0D00413EC23F42F9

I'm seriously debating this, if I were to go, I would HAVE to get the pit (most expensive) tix. I'm just not sure if I can/want to spend the $$$

someone convince me!!!

Salah... Byrne is a fickle man... he may never do a tour that is so dedicated to Talking Heads material EVER AGAIN and then you will have never experienced the songs live... there is nothing fabulous about that. GO!

amyzzz
10-17-2008, 12:39 PM
I should have gone. I had no idea he was doing Talking Heads stuff this tour. :( I'm not a big fan, but I do like some TH songs quite a bit.

sbessiso
10-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Salah... Byrne is a fickle man... he may never do a tour that is so dedicated to Talking Heads material EVER AGAIN and then you will have never experienced the songs live... there is nothing fabulous about that. GO!

*heaavvyyy sighhhhh*

pit tix sold out in like a minute, so im not sure if I want to spend the dough just to sit in in the back

Quadromarshia
10-17-2008, 01:12 PM
*heaavvyyy sighhhhh*

pit tix sold out in like a minute, so im not sure if I want to spend the dough just to sit in in the back

i'm pretty sure I told you what you need to do...

sbessiso
10-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Let's be realistic here compadre!

I havent totally shut the door on the show, Im gunna check Uncle Sam's tomorrow (when MMJ pit tix were sold out on TM for awhile, they still had available). if not I can wait and see on craigslist, or something. maybe its a sign and I need to just save that chedda

Quadromarshia
10-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Or it might be a sign that it's time to prove your love to music.

And buy some brass knuckles.

sbessiso
10-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Perhaps my friend, perhaps. I also have ULTRA Music Fest presale tix to think about, as well as Langerado.

SoulDischarge
10-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Thank you for convincing me to not miss David Byrne solo at any cost.

Looks like any cost doesn't include losing the only job I've been able to find in months and months. Thanks for scheduling all the training at night new employers, we're off to a good start. Fucker better be at the goddamned Polo Fields next year, with Eno in tow at that.

Quadromarshia
10-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Perhaps my friend, perhaps. I also have ULTRA Music Fest presale tix to think about, as well as Langerado.

Speaking of SF concerts! The stupid bitch I was considerate enough to buy a ticket for is probably bailing. So I might have an extra tic to Of Montreal

LooseAtTheZoo
10-17-2008, 03:31 PM
See David Byrne if you can... at most shows people have just rushed the stage so it shouldn't matter if you have seats in the back.
Sigur Ros was great, but I have more than a twinge of regret that I missed David Byrne that night

BlackSwan
10-17-2008, 04:26 PM
From Pitchfork today...

Meanwhile, Byrne's "Songs of David Byrne and Brian Eno" tour just keeps getting bigger, with shows now extending into April. He'll announce even more dates soon.

Hopefully this means I'll get a second chance.

Jman4321
10-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Speaking of SF concerts! The stupid bitch I was considerate enough to buy a ticket for is probably bailing. So I might have an extra tic to Of Montreal

prepare for costume changes

kitt kat
10-19-2008, 04:30 PM
He's booked dates in Europe through April 14th.

If he adds any more, we'll know he's a no go...But if the buck stops here....Well, we may get lucky...

April 12 + 13 London, England Royal Festival Hall
April 14 Brighton, England Brighton Dome

LooseAtTheZoo
10-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Has he been playing Animals during this tour?

Quadromarshia
10-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Has he been playing Animals during this tour?

Nope. If you wanted to see that one live, you should have caught them pre-1980

Quadromarshia
10-26-2008, 06:58 PM
I just have to say, I finished Everything That Will Happen Will Happen Today.

Fucking brilliant!

with the kills
10-26-2008, 07:30 PM
yeah theyd be cool but id rather see

roxy music or david bowie

Quadromarshia
10-26-2008, 07:31 PM
talking heads > roxy music

Alchemy
10-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Talking Heads > David Bowie > Roxy Music

Quadromarshia
10-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Talking Heads > David Bowie > Roxy Music

Hm, not too sure about this one.

I'm going to say Talking Heads = David Bowie

sbessiso
10-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Thats a toughy, I'm still new to the T-Heads game so I'm going to stick with Bowie>>>T-Heads. But I mean, it's BOWIE

i decided to go ahead and get tickets for that fillmore show, they just need to last for a little while longer

JSam67
10-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Good work on tix, Salah. Oh, and after you see the SMS DVD in January, you will understand why Talking Heads are at least as good as Bowie, if not better.

Quadromarshia
10-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Talking Heads are hands down my favorite band, period. But David Bowie's huge amount of material, and the fact that he can still tour compared to Talking Heads not being around anymore...

Well I guess it depends on what the criteria is.

sbessiso
10-27-2008, 09:02 PM
I've seen a handful of clips from the SMS DVD, of course its fucking genius. But Bowie has been in my life before I even really knew who the fuck Bowie was. This is why I have the Labyrinth poster hanging proudly in my room. Labyrinth Bowie is my Idol

Quadromarshia
10-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Exactly.

A lot of people grew up on Bowie. I was into Talking Heads before I knew what new wave or what post-punk was.

enriquevs
10-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Stop arguing, we could just get both Davids and it would be amazing.

Now if they just added Pulp to that...

RedThom
10-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Talking Heads are hands down my favorite band, period. But David Bowie's huge amount of material, and the fact that he can still tour compared to Talking Heads not being around anymore...

Well I guess it depends on what the criteria is.

My friend and I had a lengthy discussion on what would be the bigger reunion show and considering this statement here, perhaps you could lend your insight

either:

Talking Heads

or

Ziggy and Iggy

Quadromarshia
10-28-2008, 04:09 PM
either:

Talking Heads

or

Ziggy and Iggy

Talking Heads would be much more epic, I would think. But there's no way David or the rest of the band would be able to put out a SMS style performence. Especially David. Without that raw paranoid energy, you just have a bunch of people on stage that don't want to be there playing their greatest hits. I don't think it would do them any justice.

Ziggy and Iggy? That's certainly more likely. David Bowie still has the stage presence and energy to but on a great live show. Reviving Ziggy though? Highly unlikely, but to see him on stage as Ziggy or Aladdin Sane, with big explosions of metallic confetti and glitter everywhere... oh man!

I would say that a comparable reunion to TH would be the Smiths. And I think they would put on a better show too.

Alchemy
10-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Ziggy and Iggy would be really great... or Bowie and Iggy, whatev's... but a Talking Heads reunion is probably rarer. I agree though, they probably wouldn't play with as much passion, but still... It's Talking Heads.

Also, I would take The Smiths over Talking Heads, but I think that's probably a rarer event, if we can even comprehend something rarer than a Talking Heads reunion.

starrdogg
10-28-2008, 04:29 PM
He's booked dates in Europe through April 14th.

If he adds any more, we'll know he's a no go...But if the buck stops here....Well, we may get lucky...

April 12 + 13 London, England Royal Festival Hall
April 14 Brighton, England Brighton Dome

Well, this pretty much means there is a 0% chance of a Talking Heads reunion, at least. They would have to rehearse first. . . On another note, I saw Byrne at the very beginning of this tour in Baltimore back in September and it was a fantastic show. Would be excellent for Coachella.

BlackSwan
10-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Hmm Talking Heads vs. Bowie is a toughie...

Personally, I prefer Talking Heads.

Either way Byrne belongs at Coachella no matter in what form it may be.

LooseAtTheZoo
10-28-2008, 06:38 PM
I prefer David Bowie over the Talking Heads on album by far. Live, I think it's closer but Bowie still wins, even with him getting up in years

enriquevs
10-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Talking Heads would be much more epic, I would think. But there's no way David or the rest of the band would be able to put out a SMS style performence. Especially David

Have you seen David live? I've seen him 4x in the last 6 years and he still got an insane amount of energy. If he's comfortable, he could pull an amazing show, he doesn't go wrong there.

LooseAtTheZoo
10-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Was his last world tour in 2003-04, the Reality Tour? Where have you seen him since then, I am super jealous

enriquevs
10-28-2008, 10:27 PM
03-04 Tour was My Backward Life Tour, with the Tosca Strings. Before that, in 02 I don't remember the name of the tour but it was supporting the Look into the Eyeball album and also featured the Tosca Strings but only in the second leg of the tour i guess though i'm not very sure.

He's been on tour for a couple months now and he'll tour until April at least.

I saw him in Holland in 02, Mexico City in 04 and twice in Austin last month.

LooseAtTheZoo
10-28-2008, 10:31 PM
03-04 Tour was My Backward Life Tour, with the Tosca Strings. Before that, in 02 I don't remember the name of the tour but it was supporting the Look into the Eyeball album and also featured the Tosca Strings but only in the second leg of the tour i guess though i'm not very sure.

He's been on tour for a couple months now and he'll tour until April at least.

I saw him in Holland in 02, Mexico City in 04 and twice in Austin last month.

Is this a U.S. Tour? Do you have any dates? God I need a Bowie fix

enriquevs
10-29-2008, 08:19 AM
oh no... now it all falls in place. we're talking about David Byrne. Now I get that Reality Tour name! You should go see him, he's great.

Have no idea about Bowie though I'd like to see him too.

LooseAtTheZoo
10-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Jesus, you scared me, enriquevs. I guess I'll have to specify Bowie now that we have two DB's in this thread

boarderwoozel3
11-08-2008, 06:37 PM
David Byrne's latest concert date is in the UK on April 14th during his Spring 2009 Europe Tour. The page says more dates to come...

Coachella looks unlikely for Mr. Byrne. I'm scratching that one off the list.

Alchemy
11-08-2008, 07:33 PM
David Byrne's latest concert date is in the UK on April 14th during his Spring 2009 Europe Tour. The page says more dates to come...

Coachella looks unlikely for Mr. Byrne. I'm scratching that one off the list.

He has to 2 days to get in California to play Friday, 3 for Saturday, and 4 for Sunday. I'd say that's do-able.

LooseAtTheZoo
11-08-2008, 07:52 PM
He has to 2 days to get in California to play Friday, 3 for Saturday, and 4 for Sunday. I'd say that's do-able.

I doubt David Byrne would bust his ass just to get back to the States and play.

Alchemy
11-08-2008, 07:57 PM
I doubt David Byrne would bust his ass just to get back to the States and play.

David Byrne could chill in Europe for a day. Fly to California another day. Enjoy California for a day. Enjoy California for another day. Play Coachella on Sunday.

He will do it! And he will be grateful, damn it!

boarderwoozel3
11-09-2008, 03:37 AM
Just get Byrne.

weeklymix
10-25-2009, 03:12 AM
can i bump this

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-25-2009, 10:51 AM
you just did.

crazzz2007
10-25-2009, 12:10 PM
byrne said he wouldn't get the talking heads to reunite even for $100 million.

well, then $150 million might do it.

crazzz2007
10-25-2009, 12:12 PM

well, what else would you call it? and even if you called it something else, how would that change the fact that it would be a reunion? what the hell are you talking about?

boarderwoozel3
10-25-2009, 12:29 PM
I'd still welcome Mr. Byrne with open arms.

rage patton
10-25-2009, 12:34 PM
How has David Byrne played Bonnaroo twice, and not even Coachella once?

blackchango
10-25-2009, 01:33 PM

Scheduling conflicts mayhaps?

getbetter
10-25-2009, 01:33 PM
i dunno it kinda mess up

softbulletin
10-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Bonnaroo also let him curate a tent this year.

boarderwoozel3
10-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Snap, Bonnaroo knows what's up.

weeklymix
10-25-2009, 10:12 PM
maybe gv pesters him too much about a talking heads reunion or something?

liquidsnake28
10-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Bonnaroo also let him curate a tent this year.
Really? What tent? He closed out the Which stage at night and performed with Dirty Pojectors in the That tent earlier in the day. Maybe that's the one he curated.

Leeartlee
10-26-2009, 09:03 AM

This is truly a "WTF" moment

getbetter
06-11-2010, 04:49 PM
http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/883

I love TED speeches and Talking heads.

Deegleberry
12-05-2012, 08:46 PM
This is beyond overdue. It's a downright travesty.

I NEED Talking Heads at the Polo Grounds. NEED.

Bumblebee
12-05-2012, 09:45 PM
I don't think any of the Talking Heads have been on the polo grounds. Tom Tom Club is low haggling fruit that is cheap to book.

Larry Farnsworth
12-06-2012, 06:10 AM
I don't think any of the Talking Heads have been on the polo grounds. Tom Tom Club is low haggling fruit that is cheap to book.

low haggling fruit

Iamwelting
12-06-2012, 06:18 AM
Talking heads is not going to happen. As much as it would be a dream come true for me, this is one reunion I don't see happening, especially w/ Byrne's recent collab and tour with St. Vincent. Would love to see any TH members on the lineup, in any capacity.

Coachella Bound
12-06-2012, 08:36 AM
If David did a TH album in its entirety, something similar to Roger's performance in '08.... would he headline.....???

heart cooks brain
12-06-2012, 08:37 AM
how many TH songs were byrne/vincent playing at those shows? i would be beyond stoked if coachella books that show #toomanysubs

edit - just say this must be the place on their SF setlist. that would be too many dreams come true.

Coachella Bound
12-06-2012, 08:43 AM
my friend saw him down here in OC and said they played about 4 TH songs, including an encore of 'Road To Nowhere'

heart cooks brain
12-06-2012, 08:44 AM
looks like the shorter sets they played only had burning down the house.

M Sparks
12-06-2012, 09:00 AM
including an encore of 'Road To Nowhere'

***swoon***

Deegleberry
12-06-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm fairly certain this is the only band that could stop me reading the rest of the poster. I could care less what the undercard was if they were there.

I too, will also accept David Byrne and St. Vincent or the Tom Tom Club. Both would be fun.

scenicworld
12-06-2012, 10:11 AM
my friend saw him down here in OC and said they played about 4 TH songs, including an encore of 'Road To Nowhere'

I think he only performed 3 at the Greek (burning down the house, road to nowhere, naive melody). The encore of Road to Nowhere more than made up for the lack of TH stuff though!!

Iamwelting
12-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Reunited LCD Soundsystem feat. David Byrne performing Sound of Silver and Remain in Light back to back.

dorkfish
12-06-2012, 11:34 AM
I think he only performed 3 at the Greek (burning down the house, road to nowhere, naive melody). The encore of Road to Nowhere more than made up for the lack of TH stuff though!!
On his previous tour, he played a lot of Talking Heads songs: I Zimbra, Houses in Motion, Heaven, Air, Crosseyed and Painless, Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On), Once in a Lifetime, Life During Wartime, Take Me to the River, The Great Curve, Road to Nowhere, Burning Down the House

Spooks
12-06-2012, 11:42 AM
On his previous tour, he played a lot of Talking Heads songs: I Zimbra, Houses in Motion, Heaven, Air, Crosseyed and Painless, Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On), Once in a Lifetime, Life During Wartime, Take Me to the River, The Great Curve, Road to Nowhere, Burning Down the House

Yep I enjoyed 2009 tour more than St. Vincent tour he just did!

Radio City set list from 2009...

Strange Overtones
I Zimbra
One Fine Day
Help Me Somebody
Houses In Motion
My Big Nurse
My Big Hands (Fall Through The Cracks)
Heaven
Poor Boy
Life Is Long
The River
Crosseyed and Painless
Born Under Punches
Once In A Lifetime
Life During Wartime
I Feel My Stuff

Enc. 1
Take Me To The River
The Great Curve

Enc. 2
Air
Burning Down The House

Enc. 3
Everything That Happens

IceyHotshot
12-06-2012, 11:46 AM
He's playing less Talking Heads songs this tour because.they're also playing some St. Vincent songs.

Bumblebee
12-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Still left wondering why Byrne toured with a horn section and didn't play BLIND.

Vancouver show with David and Annie was great.

nbvcide
12-06-2012, 05:34 PM
so he never does Psycho Killer?! that sux...

How about just getting David Bryne to do a regular solo set and get The Heads to do a set in the tent. between the two of em we'll get quite a few i'd think.

'No Talking, Just Head' was a pretty decent album in itself.

Bumblebee
12-06-2012, 05:56 PM
I saw him do Psycho Killer 8 years ago.

Chris/Tina tour under Tom Tom Club. Though I think GV shy away from acts where the singer/writer isn't in the band and TTC end their sets with 2 TH songs.

Iamwelting
12-06-2012, 09:26 PM
so he never does Psycho Killer?! that sux...

How about just getting David Bryne to do a regular solo set and get The Heads to do a set in the tent. between the two of em we'll get quite a few i'd think.

'No Talking, Just Head' was a pretty decent album in itself.

It's also the album that Byrne sued the rest of the band over, so I don't think that will happen.

nbvcide
12-07-2012, 09:20 AM
i can't see him winning that lawsuit though..

as far as GV staying away from acts like that, i agree for the most part. but Serj Tankian and Scars on Broadway in '08 would be an exception.