PDA

View Full Version : If My Bloody Valentine Were to Play...

Jman4321
10-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Then I would assume they would be put on the main stage. God help whoever is near the front of those speakers. At San Francisco the "holocaust" section at the end was enough to melt my face even with earplugs. At Coachella it would probably deafen the city. Here's to Tinnitus in 2009!!!! I'm hoping for it.

TickleMeElmo
10-15-2008, 12:36 AM
So I assume if MBV do play, I probably shouldn't try getting up front without earplugs even if I never wear them? I having a hard time fathoming how loud they are.

MissingPerson
10-15-2008, 12:38 AM
Really, really, really loud.

I caught myself thinking "Man, this is just noise!" for a second, and in that instant, realised I'm the oldest lady on earth.

JSam67
10-15-2008, 12:39 AM
I'm having a difficult time imagining how loud they'd sound outdoors, but I have no doubt they'd still be louder than anything you've ever heard in your life. I saw them with no earplugs and had a brilliant time, but at a festival, I would definitely do earplugs. Just in case I want to hear another band in the following days. Your ears will ring for quite some time, earplugs or no.

Jman4321
10-15-2008, 12:45 AM
It's really not that bad until that end part. I was cool without earplugs until they brought out like 22 minutes of feedback. without earplugs it was just a screaming assault and with them it was this terrifying sound like an oncoming hurricane in your head; like static and thunder billowing between your ears and just getting more and more intense. either way you can feel the sound prickling your arms like when you hold your hand up close to a tv screen. It's really weird. And possibly unhealthy.

TickleMeElmo
10-15-2008, 01:01 AM
If they do play, I feel bad for any other bands playing at the same time with the sound bleed. Yikes.

Jman4321
10-15-2008, 01:04 AM
If they do play, I feel bad for any other bands playing at the same time with the sound bleed. Yikes.

That's what I'm thinking lol. Joanna Newsom is reaching the subtle crescendo of one of her more beautiful pieces on the outdoor stage and then SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEE

JSam67
10-15-2008, 01:04 AM
Haha good point, there would have to be no one playing at the Outdoor Theater for sure, maybe nobody playing anywhere but the Sahara.

MissingPerson
10-15-2008, 01:08 AM
That's what I'm thinking lol. Joanna Newsom is reaching the subtle crescendo of one of her more beautiful pieces on the outdoor stage and then SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEE

Hey, you never know, Joanna Newsom's Bloody Valentine could be the sensation of the festival. Best of all worlds.

Backwater
10-15-2008, 01:13 AM
I having a hard time fathoming how loud they are.

Well they are in the Guiness Book for most decibels. They beat Kiss, ACDC, and Metallica.

Jman4321
10-15-2008, 01:15 AM
Hey, you never know, Joanna Newsom's Bloody Valentine could be the sensation of the festival. Best of all worlds.

Electric Harp mega-feedback. That'd be about 47 strings of sheer terror. Actually that'd be amazing. I want to send her a letter now suggesting it.

MissingPerson
10-15-2008, 01:19 AM
"HOLY SHIT, MAN, DID YOU SEE JOANNA NEWSOM!?!?!?!"

"FUCKING INTENSE!"

"JOANNA FUCKING NEWSOM, BITCHES!"

Yes. I too want this to happen.

Jman4321
10-15-2008, 01:26 AM
Joanna Newsom played in a band called Nervous Cop that was comprised of her and the drummers from Hella and Deerhoof. It's like horrendously gnarly tribal drumming underneath her harp playing. It's ridiculous and potentially the only time to date that one can headbutt and scream INTENSE for her. Until Coachella '09 that is...

MissingPerson
10-15-2008, 01:28 AM
I look forward to her 24 minute harp rock out, and inevitable Harp Hero tie-in game.

Jman4321
10-15-2008, 01:30 AM
I look forward to her 24 minute harp rock out, and inevitable Harp Hero tie-in game.

You ma'am, have just stumbled across a brilliant idea.

shotglass75
10-15-2008, 04:34 AM
I'll be in the Sahara watching The Presets open up for The Prodigy

RedThom
10-15-2008, 06:26 AM
my bloody valentine has been known to make people's bodily fluids confused.

on another note. if the presets were opening before the prodigy... this would present quite a melodrama in my decision making

kitt kat
10-15-2008, 11:12 AM
^they made me barf!

Trudeau
10-15-2008, 11:20 AM
I hope I hope I hope...

anonimouse
10-15-2008, 01:09 PM
would be very good indeed

LooseAtTheZoo
10-15-2008, 01:24 PM
They won't play

Where have you people been?

MissingPerson
10-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Lots of places, like seeing My Bloody Valentine at a festival a few weeks ago. Why?

Jman4321
10-15-2008, 01:48 PM
They won't play

Where have you people been?

It's really not a long shot at this point. It's just as viable as any other dream line-up, if not more so. The lack of shows around the country has led to a large group who are dying to get any chance whatsoever to see them. The demand is set and it is apparently a very large one. I'm not betting my stash on ANY band at this point however all I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised.

LooseAtTheZoo
10-15-2008, 02:33 PM
It's really not a long shot at this point. It's just as viable as any other dream line-up, if not more so. The lack of shows around the country has led to a large group who are dying to get any chance whatsoever to see them. The demand is set and it is apparently a very large one. I'm not betting my stash on ANY band at this point however all I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised.

A large group? Couldn't they not even sell out the Santa Monica Civic? And somewhere in this vast quagmire of threads someone posted a link where they were asked outright about Coachella 09 and Kevin said no

Jman4321
10-15-2008, 02:39 PM
A large group? Couldn't they not even sell out the Santa Monica Civic? And somewhere in this vast quagmire of threads someone posted a link where they were asked outright about Coachella 09 and Kevin said no

They sold out all of their venues as far as I knew. I know that the one in Santa Monica my friends went to was in fact sold out. I would imagine the second day as well. Also an artist saying no is at this point in the game hard to pin meaning to. they very well could have said no and meant it or could have meant that he hadn't heard an offer. I remember that thread and when asked are you playing Kevin's response was "I haven't heard that one." Yeah it's nitpicking the rhetoric however I've just come to the point where I don't trust bands responses until the poster comes out. even then I don't really trust it lol. The LA times said Prince was playing about 3 weeks before they announced him and when he was asked about it both Goldenvoice and Prince himself said, "No." A draw like My Bloody Valentine wouldn't give away their status because in doing so they could potentially lose the shock appearance on the poster that draws impulse buys. Or they could be telling the truth. Who knows? But even still I'm not going to outright count them out.

robotronia
10-15-2008, 03:24 PM
MBV is louder than jet engines, and they make ravekids cry, or at least they did when i saw them. As far as i know, the SF show in sept. wasnt sold out up until day of, but the rest of the tour was.
really use earplugs, which is why MBV shows give them out.

MissingPerson
10-15-2008, 03:26 PM
I dunno though, if you're not right next to the stage, I think a lot of the noise effect is lost. I didn't wear ear plugs, and I didn't feel particularly deaf the next day.

Boourns
10-15-2008, 03:34 PM
^they made me barf!

Joanna Newsom makes be barf, but not in the good way.

woogie846
10-15-2008, 03:35 PM
I'd wear headphones.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Then I would assume they would be put on the main stage. God help whoever is near the front of those speakers. At San Francisco the "holocaust" section at the end was enough to melt my face even with earplugs. At Coachella it would probably deafen the city. Here's to Tinnitus in 2009!!!! I'm hoping for it.

MBV headlined Fuji Rock and that was outdoors..I wonder what the sound was like in the mountains?

Boourns
10-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Well, it did cause that avalanche that killed 100,000 people.

anonimouse
10-15-2008, 04:37 PM
A large group? Couldn't they not even sell out the Santa Monica Civic?
i would have been at that show if the tickets werent $50 BEFORE ticketmaster rape fees. if they played coachella i'd be all up in that crowd of people watching

And somewhere in this vast quagmire of threads someone posted a link where they were asked outright about Coachella 09 and Kevin said no
maybe he had his fingers crossed

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Well, it did cause that avalanche that killed 100,000 people.

well, that is probably true since that happens in Japan so much, its not considered news.

MissingPerson
10-15-2008, 04:39 PM
I heard the mountains just fell off.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Japan is all mountains...

fatbastard
10-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Quiet mountains.

emtgreg
10-15-2008, 11:37 PM
that kill people!!

amyzzz
10-16-2008, 04:53 AM
So say I wore 32 decibel ear plugs...would I be safe at MBV if I was near the Coachella soundboard? (assuming they played the main stage at coach)

Boourns
10-16-2008, 05:10 AM
Yes.

But MBV will actually be playing Trainchella.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-16-2008, 05:17 AM
God willing.....

woogie846
10-16-2008, 06:11 AM
I wonder if you could hear MBV live while wearing noise-canceling headphones. I'm just curious.

amyzzz
10-16-2008, 08:15 AM
MBV is not a priority for me, but I would see them at Coach (or if they came here, which they won't).

MissingPerson
10-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Worth seeing for the noise novelty, but overall, overrated. My friends who were with me disagree, but they were on basically all the drugs, and would probably have said the same had the only thing onstage been a completely soundless, featureless white sheet of plastic.

Trudeau
10-16-2008, 12:46 PM
MBV overrated? Whoa...

nohardfelines
10-16-2008, 12:58 PM
So I assume if MBV do play, I probably shouldn't try getting up front without earplugs even if I never wear them? I having a hard time fathoming how loud they are.

the band wants you to wear earplugs, they say it helps you feel the music instead of just making your ears bleed to deaf

the only way MBV could play coachella would be if no other stages had anything else playing, if they were on the main stage, you would fear it from the Sahara Tent

MissingPerson
10-16-2008, 01:07 PM
MBV overrated? Whoa...

Well, I reckoned so, but enough people differed that I'm willing to concede it was just a failure of opinion on my part. But I also resent them for making me think like an old lady by thinking "This is just... noise" even for just a second.

n3glect
10-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Well, I reckoned so, but enough people differed that I'm willing to concede it was just a failure of opinion on my part. But I also resent them for making me think like an old lady by thinking "This is just... noise" even for just a second.

Being that MBV play in excess of 130db.. There's no way that Goldenvoice could have that at Coachella. The city of Indio would throw a fucking FIT about noise violations. I forget what the agreement is as far as sound levels.. but I guarantee you it's FAR under 130db.

My guess is this is why Kevin et al, have had no interest in playing the festival.

LooseAtTheZoo
10-16-2008, 02:57 PM
I haven't listened to MBV except for Loveless...what exactly is the reason for the ear-crushing volume levels?

fatbastard
10-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Yes.

But MBV will actually be playing Trainchella.

Please stop mentioning that train (especially you, friend of Paulie). I'm regretting this one now days more than Daft Punk.