PDA

View Full Version : Decision Time!

rage patton
10-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Today is election day in Canada and the polls are officially closed.

Any Canadians feel like sharing who they voted for a why? Frozen Pilgrim? Paulb?

My prediction: Conservative minority with a Liberal Oposition.

We should know the results pretty soon.

Discuss.

gaypalmsprings
10-14-2008, 06:23 PM
http://www.garth.ca/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/bob-button.jpg

frozen pilgrim
10-14-2008, 06:46 PM
oh my god, I can not freaking believe GPS found a bob rae reference.

I voted for the candidate I felt would best represent my community, as opposed to voting strategically- in my area of the city, which is predominantly low income and immigrant families, the NDP has the community's best interests in mind, while the other two majors tend to use the population's woes as bargaining chips in arguments as opposed to trying to actually trying to help us out. so yeah. I voted for olivia chow- NDP. she's been a local politician for the better part of 20 years, started in municipal, worked her way up to ottawa. really nice person.
but yeah. it looks like another conservative minority. and I honestly don't know what's worse- a conservative majority, free to do what they like, or another four years of conflicted impotence on the part of the entire house of commons.

rage patton
10-14-2008, 07:32 PM
For me, it was between the Conservatives and the NDP. To be honest, the Conservatives have impressed me over the last couple of years. They have managed to hold onto a stong economy while creating tax cuts all across the board. The sweater of Stephen Harper's is also quite impressive.
But seriously, Jack Layton did impress me on the TV debate, so I looked more into them and their policies. There we a few things I did agree with, but many outstanding things that I could not look past. For the most part, it looks like they are grossly going mismanage funds. The NDP seem to like to spend money they isn't there. They would not be good for our economy righ now. Also, even though it is on the provincial level, the NDP managed to fuck up BC pretty damn good a few years ago. It is hard to forgive them for that.
I should also say that I was really hoping Jack Layton and the NDP would be the official oposition. Stephan Dion has choosen to sit out on all major votes in the house, and is not doing his job as the official oposition leader. Canada is in a fucked up situation right now. I bet there is going to be another vote in 2 years, for the exact some reason... due to not having a majority government, nothing is going to get done. The exact same results will come out of that election. I was really hoping for a conservative majority this time, but it isn't going to happen.

MissingPerson
10-14-2008, 07:39 PM
So I hear that Harper guy is kind of an asshole. True/ False?

frozen pilgrim
10-14-2008, 08:55 PM
true. x1000. and creepy, to boot

I voted based on who would fight hardest for my community, because regardless of who's in charge, the poorest always get the short end of the deal, and in my riding, the strongest candidate happens to be NDP.
I absolutely agree that elements of their platform make them seem irresponsible and/or inexperienced.

CalmerThanYou
10-14-2008, 09:00 PM
true. x1000. and creepy, to boot

but what aboot all the change he's promising?

frozen pilgrim
10-14-2008, 09:02 PM
he's going to 'change' things by handing exxon another five billion dollars.
honestly, the conservatives aren't that bad. but they're not great either. frankly, we're in the same boat as you guys: everyone sucks.