PDA

View Full Version : Video/Audio Software

faxman75
10-14-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm looking for some software that is easy to use that will allow me to be able to manipulate all different types of video from movies and tv shows on my pc (.avi, divx, mpeg4 etc.) some of what I have is .avi but then the audio is in mp3 it all plays perfectly on my VLC but not so much on WMP.

Anyway, something similar to microsoft movie maker maybe but will allow me to use more formats of video. I basically just want to make silly music videos by taking a song and adding various clips of video from various sources.

My OS is Windows Vista.

frozen pilgrim
10-14-2008, 03:38 PM
good luck finding anything that'll edit divx without transcoding first. just get a pirated copy of final cut! :)

marooko
10-14-2008, 03:39 PM
not trying to hijack, faxman, but whats the fucking deal with divx? i mean, you got your audiophiles and shit, where are the videophiles? doesnt divx and xvid compress? thats bullshit!!

frozen pilgrim
10-14-2008, 03:44 PM
divx can eb good or bad.
dvds being downscaled to 640x480= BAD
blu-rays being transcoded into 1080p divx with the original DD or DTS digital audio and then played off the xbox360 or shared online=WINWINWINWINWINWINWIN. also, with NTSC broadcast quality stuff, it's super useful- get a whole season of a tv show in broadcast quality on one dvd.

faxman75
10-14-2008, 03:46 PM
So final cut should be good for most things just not divx?

frozen pilgrim
10-14-2008, 03:47 PM
you'll just have to use something to transcode the divx to wmv or regular mpeg-4. but yeah. get yourelf a pirated version of final cut and you're 100% set.

menikmati
10-14-2008, 03:50 PM
uh yeah, final cut on vista........ok..........

marooko
10-14-2008, 03:55 PM
who are all these people that have probs with vista? never had any myself.

menikmati
10-14-2008, 03:57 PM
final cut doesn't exist for vista, so why bother recommending it?

marooko
10-14-2008, 03:58 PM
gotcha.

faxman75
10-14-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm one. I am running it on 2gigs of ram as well. Just a few days ago I put it on minimal graphics as well so no preview windows when I put the cursor over another window. Things of that nature. The fan was coming on all the time and resources were slow and the system was really bogged down. It seems to be doing much better now though.

faxman75
10-14-2008, 03:59 PM
final cut doesn't exist for vista, so why bother recommending it?

ahh, any other suggestions?

MissingPerson
10-14-2008, 04:10 PM
I've just gotten a new laptop, and in the last three days, I've lost count of the number of things Vista has gotten me yelling at it about.... Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........

menikmati
10-14-2008, 04:13 PM
ahh, any other suggestions?

There's Premiere Pro, Pinnacle, Vegas, Avid. If you need to convert files, there's Super. Just google.

sin213
10-14-2008, 04:59 PM
There's Premiere Pro, Pinnacle, Vegas, Avid. If you need to convert files, there's Super. Just google.

yeah, i'd recommend vegas. have an older version (like it) of it, so no good with vista, but new version is ok. plus, it only costs about $600...if you buy it. ;)

it can do everything you need it to do.

frozen pilgrim
10-14-2008, 05:21 PM
whoa, sorry guys. I'm a non-vista-er. I had no idea there wasn't a final cut build for it. yeah, just use one of the other suggestions. anything but imovie

wmgaretjax
10-14-2008, 05:51 PM
divx can eb good or bad.
dvds being downscaled to 640x480= BAD
blu-rays being transcoded into 1080p divx with the original DD or DTS digital audio and then played off the xbox360 or shared online=WINWINWINWINWINWINWIN. also, with NTSC broadcast quality stuff, it's super useful- get a whole season of a tv show in broadcast quality on one dvd.

xvid might be the scene standard still, but now that more settop boxes and 3rd party software support x264, the choice is clear.

x264's quality is dramatically superior to xvid at the same size, for SD or HD. The only drawback is slightly longer encode time, but the increase in quality is incredible.

Oh, and I would stay away from Premiere, it's a piece of shit. Avid is solid, but I don't know if the latest versions can be found for free (as far as I know they distribute with dongles now).

menikmati
10-14-2008, 06:12 PM
There are dongle emulators out there, but just seems too much of a hassle to go through all that. I've never had problems with Premiere.

wmgaretjax
10-14-2008, 07:10 PM
There are dongle emulators out there, but just seems too much of a hassle to go through all that. I've never had problems with Premiere.

It's just bad software. Even the team at Adobe knows that the CS3 version was an awful, but necessary, step for them. Just wait for the next release, I've given it a test ride and it makes huge strides.

M Sparks
10-14-2008, 07:36 PM
How is Premiere Pro "bad software"? I've been on it since 1.0...put about 300 commercial spots on the air with it. I've never had a problem with it until this weekend...I was trying to render out a 160 minute multicam project, and one of the "cameras" was a series of PSD files. It kept crashing about half way through. But that was a pretty hardcore project, and I think it was just running into hard drive issues trying to get a 30GB file out.

Sorry Fax, I don't have a good answer for you. Premiere doesn't handle mp4 natively. Maybe Vegas, since it handles AVCHD, and that's based on mpeg4. There are cheap (under $100) consumer versions of Vegas.

wmgaretjax
10-14-2008, 07:44 PM
How is Premiere Pro "bad software"? I've been on it since 1.0...put about 300 commercial spots on the air with it. I've never had a problem with it until this weekend...I was trying to render out a 160 minute multicam project, and one of the "cameras" was a series of PSD files. It kept crashing about half way through. But that was a pretty hardcore project, and I think it was just running into hard drive issues trying to get a 30GB file out.

It's fine for base line stuff, but I've had disastrous consequences to thinking that some of the (not really)-streamlined After Effects features might give it the leg up over FCP on some projects. Unfortunately for me HD support is absolute shite. Not only are render times a nightmare, but I was using footages from different framerates and my batch processes were completely choking (I've talked to the premiere guy at adobe that I know and they know about this problem, it's an issue with multithreading and their HDV codec).

I haven't really tried to do much other than HD, and my experience has been a mixed bag.

Like I said, CS4 should be a huge step up, enough so that I'll look into switching because of the real-time crosstalk between Premiere and AE.

M Sparks
10-14-2008, 07:55 PM
whoa, sorry guys. I'm a non-vista-er. I had no idea there wasn't a final cut build for it.

PSSST...Apple makes Final Cut. :D They aren't big with the Windows ports.

I'm always amused with people who seem surprised that I edit on a PC. There are more professional options for PC than there are for Mac.

Final Cut- Mac only
Avid- Both
Premiere Pro- Both (was PC only until last version.)
Vegas- PC only
Liquid- PC only
Edius- PC only
Speededit- PC only

I don't know if they still make PC based Media 100 systems, they might be back to being Mac only.

M Sparks
10-14-2008, 08:12 PM
It's fine for base line stuff, but I've had disastrous consequences to thinking that some of the (not really)-streamlined After Effects features might give it the leg up over FCP on some projects. Unfortunately for me HD support is absolute shite. Not only are render times a nightmare, but I was using footages from different framerates and my batch processes were completely choking (I've talked to the premiere guy at adobe that I know and they know about this problem, it's an issue with multithreading and their HDV codec).

I haven't really tried to do much other than HD, and my experience has been a mixed bag.

Like I said, CS4 should be a huge step up, enough so that I'll look into switching because of the real-time crosstalk between Premiere and AE.

I don't do much HD stuff, but when I do, I use AspectHD. I would never attempt to work with straight up HDV. But I see your point.

I personally am excited about the real Dynamic Link between PP and Encore in CS4. I don't know why this didn't happen a couple of versions back. I'll have to see for the enhanced DL between PP and AE works to know if it will do me much good. A lot of what I do in AE COULD be done in PP, but AE renders it faster. Also, I like being able to to render out, say, a complex Boris Blue 3-D title, and then place that file in a PP project without having to re-render every time I make a small change to an edit. So depending on how it's implemented, it may or may not help me out.

I just wish we could get everyone on the same page as far as file formats. I did my first little project in Lightwave today...seriously, Targa sequences?

faxman75
10-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Alright I have downloaded a codec pack for Windows Media Player and all my video appears to be working in Windows Movie Maker. I can add audio but it appears windows movie maker only supports mp3's. So I think I just have to convert .m4a files to mp3 if I want to use them with video.

wmgaretjax
10-14-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm always amused with people who seem surprised that I edit on a PC. There are more professional options for PC than there are for Mac.

Final Cut and Avid are the only software that I will get behind without any kind of serious reservations. Although Avid is looking up.

I can't live without AE, but rendering is a bitch. Can't wait for CS4, serious improvements in that realm as well.

marooko
03-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Didn't want to make a new thread, but I will.

I'm looking for music software that will transition music as to avoid silence between the tracks. Not music, just a simple volume transition. I would appreciate any help you may have. Thank you.

marooko
03-15-2011, 09:15 AM

M Sparks
03-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Didn't want to make a new thread, but I will.

I'm looking for music software that will transition music as to avoid silence between the tracks. Not music, just a simple volume transition. I would appreciate any help you may have. Thank you.

What is your final product? You want to crossfade audio files basically, right?

Sony CD Architect is pretty awesome for making a Mix CD pretty quick, lets you just slide the files together to merge and then tell it what kind of crossfade you want. But it's very specific, I don't think there is a way to output an audio file, it's only for mastering CDs.

Adobe Soundbooth (Version CS4 and up) will let you multitrack as much stuff as you want...so will Adobe Audition or Cool Edit Pro (same thing before Adobe bought it).

You might be able to use Sony Acid or whatever the consumer version is. (Acid Music Studio?), but it's not really built for that.

I'm sure there are free/cheap solutions, but those are things I use in my studio.

marooko
03-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Thank you Sparks. Not really for studio, just continuous playback of files faded together to eliminate silence. Don't need it burned, just played from a playlist. I think I have what I need, but any other software suggestions would be appreciated.

menikmati
03-15-2011, 11:36 AM
you know winamp (and I'm sure other media players) has an option to have crossfaders between tracks.

Drinkey McDrinkerstein
03-15-2011, 11:38 AM
you know winamp (and I'm sure other media players) has an option to have crossfaders between tracks.

But can you replicate those crossfades onto the audio files themselves and burn to cd?

menikmati
03-15-2011, 11:56 AM
he said he didn't wanna burn it

M Sparks
03-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Yeah, if all you want is a crossfaded playlist, there is a ton of software that does it, but you won't have much control.