PDA

View Full Version : Who I want to see at Coachella 2009

Damienriceroni
10-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Let me get a few things out of the way. First off, I would strongly like to thank a user among these boards. She's a female user with a black and white picture as her avatar. I found this board hard to trust earlier this year and hesitantly bought a bargained camping pass from one of them. This user was her. I got a great deal for them ($50 without the silly processing fees). This allowed me to tie the whole trip together, and I had an amazing time. I strongly thank you for this.

Secondly, I don't post here so I'm not very well known, but Radiohead are my favorite band. I have another account called OK Computer. I haven't seen Radiohead play live, but I don't expect them next year. A Radiohead stop seems to obligatory, and I know they've already done Coachella. I still hunger the opportunity to see them live, but it certainly doesn't have to be next year at Coach 09, and I don't believe it will be.

Onto business.

HEADLINERS:
Friday - Muse. Muse are one of the greatest modern live bands out there. Their performances are decked out with a strong setlist of their category, a phenomenal light show, and overwhelming musicianship at a fast pace. They've achieved moderate commercial success with "Hysteria", "Knights of Cydonia", and "Supermassive Black Hole". They are working on a new album and have never headlined a Coachella, but they sure as hell are capable of.

Saturday - Gorillaz. Damon is back in business with his animated psychedelic endeavors. My only problem is that I can't for the life of me imagine how a Gorillaz live performance would translate to reality

Sunday - David Bowie. The legend of 09. Lethim be this year's Roger Waters. He's my favorite classic rock artist and seems to have unanimous respect among most Coachella goers. A festival appearance won't give him another heart attack like a lengthy tour would and I'm sure most Coachella goers would love the opportunity to finally see Bowie live.

OTHER ACTS:

Modest Mouse
Dave Mathews Band
Queens of the Stone Age
Our Lady Peace (Have a great canadian market, but are forgotten too often in america. Today they have a pretty stellar lineup of members, but don't put out very good albums. Still, the category from Clumsy, Happiness, and Spiritual Machines is great.)
Cake
Beck
Massive Attack
The Shins
Sufjan Stevens
Iron and Wine
Broken Social Scene
Damien Rice (I missed out on 07)
Mogwai
Explosions in the Sky (Closing outdoor stage!!!!!)
Dandy Warhols
Bella
Violent Femmes
Tender Forever
Moldy Peaches (Reunion)
Tegan and Sara (Again) (By far the worst conflict I've ever had. The National vs T&S. I missed them COMPLETELY.)
Sons and Daughters (Conflict last year)
Band of Horses
Simian Mobile Disco
the KNIFE
Infected Mushroom
The Murmur
Junkie XL

WANT, BUT WILL NEVER HAPPEN:
Talking Heads - Byrne will have none of it.
Neutral Milk Hotel - He was never a great performer, he just wrote a fucking great album. Jeff Mangum is in obscurity and will never come out.

SoulDischarge
10-14-2008, 01:06 PM
http://www.guitar.com/uploaded/profile_images/forum_320fa475_TedNugent.jpg

frozen pilgrim
10-14-2008, 01:12 PM
I like you, man. you'll get no hate from me :)
I can't see a single act on there that I disagree with. I wouldn't necessarily watch all of them, but that is a fucking excellent list.

Boourns
10-14-2008, 01:28 PM
LOL dave matthews

t&s vs the national is the worst conflict ever. Can't throw rotten eggs at both at the same time

OK Computer
10-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks FP :D
Yeah I love The National and T&S. Mkay.
As for DMB, I admit that I would love to see them live. The thing is as far as record listening goes, I don't care too much for their albums. I don't care too much for just about any music they release. However I have a lot of respect for them as musicians, and there's some prospect about the idea of seeing them live that really intrigues me.

mind tricks
10-14-2008, 02:08 PM
That would be a pretty cool fest. Muse would be epic, and Gorillaz and Bowie would follow up nicely. Modest Mouse would be chill as well.

moomoo
10-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Good stuff. I'd enjoy it.

LooseAtTheZoo
10-14-2008, 02:21 PM
You lineup seems a little top-heavy, but then again I guess you weren't trying to fill an entire festival. Gorillaz would be awesome, but I think Damon is actually focusing on his opera right now. You are also right about no Talking Heads, but I don't see a David Byrne/Brian Eno subheadliner as out of the picture. Also, I think DMB would be great for Coachella. They are admittedly subpar on album but put on great live performances and have a built in fanbase that follows them everywhere, so it would be a good business decision in terms of ticket sales

futureperfect
10-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks FP :D
Yeah I love The National and T&S. Mkay.
As for DMB, I admit that I would love to see them live. The thing is as far as record listening goes, I don't care too much for their albums. I don't care too much for just about any music they release. However I have a lot of respect for them as musicians, and there's some prospect about the idea of seeing them live that really intrigues me.

Dave Matthews Band is incredible a friend dragged me to see them back in 96 and ive been to see them every year accept 2004. Amazing live great musicians and if they are going to cater to the JJ/Bro/Stoner Crowd they would be a band worth watching

woogie846
10-14-2008, 02:46 PM
I don't think Gorillaz could headline.

oftheheartofthesoul
10-15-2008, 06:43 AM
I don't think Gorillaz could headline.

They would be great sub-headliner though.

I respect this list. I wouldn't go, but respectable nonetheless.

Jman4321
10-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Neutral Milk Hotel would be so annoying. I'd love to see them, but more importantly HEAR them. I'd most likely hear 60,000 people singing along in a helter-skelter mush.

mvanwinkle
10-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Neutral Milk Hotel would be so annoying. I'd love to see them, but more importantly HEAR them. I'd most likely hear 60,000 people singing along in a helter-skelter mush.

that would be to epic. thats the worst reason i have ever heard for not wanting to see a band. because to many people would be into the show and singing.

Goodtoknow
10-16-2008, 03:26 PM
that would be to epic. thats the worst reason i have ever heard for not wanting to see a band. because to many people would be into the show and singing.

seconded. that would give me the chilly willy penguins from head to toe. nevermind the fact that he hasn't played a show in 11 years. that would be an EPIC outdoor stage dusk set. Talking Heads would reunite before that would happen though...

mvanwinkle
10-16-2008, 03:46 PM
seconded. that would give me the chilly willy penguins from head to toe. nevermind the fact that he hasn't played a show in 11 years. that would be an EPIC outdoor stage dusk set. Talking Heads would reunite before that would happen though...

you really think its more possible of a talking heads show?

woogie846
10-16-2008, 04:52 PM

I'd be curious to find out how many people (outside of this board) are fans of NMH at Coachella.

hendrixfan143
10-16-2008, 06:27 PM
I would rather see NMH anyday of led zeppelin