PDA

View Full Version : LOL Scars on Broadway know they suck

digitaldragon03
10-11-2008, 06:38 PM
The side-project band of System of a Down guitarist/vocalist Daron Malakian and drummer John Dolmayan- Scars On Broadway- has just announced the cancellation of their upcoming North American tour. The band also cancelled what would have been their first network television performance on an episode of Jimmy Kimmel Live scheduled for next week.

The following statement was released on the band's website, www.scarsonbroadway.com :

"Scars on Broadway's North American tour, scheduled to begin October 19, as well as their October 14 performance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live," have been cancelled. Late last week, Malakian concluded that his heart wasn't into touring at this time, so he made the decision to cancel all scheduled performances. There are no plans to reschedule. Ticket refund for the North American Tour will follow shortly."

The sudden change of plans has already sparked rumors of a pending "System of a Down" reunion, which is far from being confirmed.
http://kroq-data.com/wah/wah/newsmanager/templates/?a=272&z=2&template=kroq2.htm

I bet the crowds were nonexistent after the first song, just like Coachella.

frozen pilgrim
10-11-2008, 06:45 PM
oh man.
well, they sure did suck while they lasted

superfiction
10-11-2008, 07:28 PM
while i do like darron, i must say it was a bit lack luster of a project, but this tour cancelling business is old news

MarkO
10-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Were they as much of a letdown as Satellite Party were (as a band, I thought SP were ok at Coachella)

rage patton
10-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Oh man. "His heart isn't into touring." Bullshit. ZERO tickets were sold on this tour and they had no choice but to cancel. Darron must be realizing right now he is NOTHING without Serj. I do enjoy Serj's solo album, but SerArt was a FAR superior side project. Nothing can top System Of Down's self titled though, and Serj was the main creative force behind that album. Darron needs to swallow his pride and let Serj take his rightful place at the helm once again. I know most people wouldn't be alright with it, but since it is obvious Paul T is a SOAD fan... System Of A Down for Coachella 09!

emtgreg
10-12-2008, 01:19 PM
I don't know...I actually watched a healthy bit of Serj's set this last year, and frankly, there was no audience interaction on his part, and it seemed really, really flat.

ArcadeParade
10-12-2008, 01:28 PM
All of it is nasty, Serj solo, Scars, and the newer System offerings..

paulb
10-12-2008, 01:29 PM
System of a down at Coachella would be fuckin awesome... Scars were shite... thank god its over before it really began.

sbessiso
10-12-2008, 02:11 PM
they came from a band that sucked to begin with

PJandBompton
10-12-2008, 02:34 PM

wow. maybe you weren't listening to the same band? System Of A Down definitely did not suck.

woogie846
10-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Scars on Broadway at Coachella was one of the worst live performances I have ever seen.

sbessiso
10-12-2008, 02:44 PM
wow. maybe you weren't listening to the same band? System Of A Down definitely did not suck.

yeah man. SAME band. I could never get into them, from 7th grade on. It just isnt my cup o'tea.

psycobetabuckdown
10-12-2008, 03:00 PM
yeah man. SAME band. I could never get into them, from 7th grade on. It just isnt my cup o'tea.

That's different from saying they sucked. Sheesh, why are people always so extreme? Hold a moderate view and live in peace.

This thread reminds me how much I've always wanted SOAD for Coachella. I think because of last year I forgot that this was a possibility still. SOAD is definitely a band that could get me to come to Coachella just by itself.

Oh and I still hold faith in Daron's abilities. I happened to think Mezmerize/Hypnotize were improvements on the sound and very good albums, although I'm not saying they're better albums than the previous efforts. And I think Daron's influence came through with these albums in a good way - more melody, more dynamic. So I had hope for SoB. They ended up sucking, but maybe Daron needs to just not do a metal act.

sbessiso
10-12-2008, 03:02 PM
but I DO think they suck. and c'mon, messageboard is EXTREME

humanoid
10-12-2008, 03:49 PM

most heavy stuff isn't really my thing either, but something I really enjoy about System of a Down...I listen to them at the gym or running, and it works perfectly

Jon Blazed
10-12-2008, 08:22 PM

word

Backwater
10-12-2008, 08:41 PM
System of a down at Coachella would be fuckin awesome... Scars were shite... thank god its over before it really began.

QFT
Jonblazed and sbess are crazy.

Have you ever seen them live? I saw them at Ozzfest 02 after Toxicity came out and they were really, really good, then I saw them during the Hypnotize tour and they were still pretty good but nothing like were in 02. Hopefully after some time off with their crappy side projects they have realized how well they play together and how bad they suck playing with other people. I mean they all gave it an honest effort with the side projects and all of them sucked, even Serj. I hope they're rejuvenated now. I wonder if they'll release a new album or just start touring. Maybe a Coachella reunion then an album a few months later, followed by a tour.

scoop49er
10-12-2008, 09:05 PM
everyone in the band says its "personal reasons".... realistically, the band was going nowhere.. they had some decent songs but nowhere to the level where their egos wanted it to be. serj did 3 times better and even his album was nothing earth shattering..... their best bet: take a year off and come back as system of a down and rock coachella 2010!!

JSam67
10-12-2008, 09:16 PM
I like a lot of SOAD. Would definitely like to see them at Coachella. White Zombie, too. But I would have no idea where to put those names on a Coachella poster. 2nd, 3rd line? They'd both be awesome, regardless.

Backwater
10-12-2008, 09:22 PM
SOAD is second line for sure. White Zombie would also be second line, but I highly doubt it's happening as much as I would love it.

psycobetabuckdown
10-12-2008, 10:00 PM
No, either White Zombie or SOAD would headline. It's not exactly a metal-fest, but you can be sure if GV pickes up either of those acts they would be top-billed and deservedly so.

rage patton
10-12-2008, 10:19 PM
SOAD would be headliners if they played. A lot of people wouldn't like it, but they would be. If White Zombie, or Rob Zombie for that matter, played, they would be third line. MAYBE second, but I doubt it.
Also, I still really like the idea of a Rob Zombie->The Prodigy->Nine Inch Nails mainstage at Coachella this year.

JSam67
10-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Also, I still really like the idea of a Rob Zombie->The Prodigy->Nine Inch Nails mainstage at Coachella this year.

Um, yeah. That'd be absolutely outrageous. It's not how I envision any of the days going this year on my wishlist, but that 3-act punch would probably adequately rival the glory of Saturday night of Coachella '08 for me.

Backwater
10-12-2008, 11:24 PM
If White Zombie, or Rob Zombie for that matter, played, they would be third line. MAYBE second, but I doubt it.

White Zombie would easily be second line, but they would never play Coachella anyway. It's been over ten years since they last played together so it would be a really big deal.

Blinken
10-12-2008, 11:25 PM
don't think they will get back together this year but in 2010 System of a Down will come back. Hopefully Daron lets Serj do his own thing, it went downhill when Daron had too much influence. The self titled and Toxicity where the best albums and Serj had most of the creative control.

Don't get me wrong Daron is a vital part of System fo a Down but you could really tell how had the better vision and creativity at Coachella this year when they both played. They can't back in 2009 because that would be too soon after Daron failed with his side project, he needs some time to process everything before thinking about getting together for some System shows. We all know that when they get back together they will play at Coachella, Paul T. obviously likes them. They will headline when they play.

Backwater
10-12-2008, 11:43 PM
We all know that when they get back together they will play at Coachella, Paul T. obviously likes them. They will headline when they play.

You're probably right and there will be a lot of pissed off people on this board when it happens. Oh well, I'm down for them headlining.

ADrunkPoet
10-13-2008, 12:14 AM
Not having the heart to play live shows seems like a bogus excuse to enter rehab, in my opinion.

psycobetabuckdown
10-13-2008, 12:32 AM
They can't back in 2009 because that would be too soon after Daron failed with his side project, he needs some time to process everything before thinking about getting together for some System shows. We all know that when they get back together they will play at Coachella, Paul T. obviously likes them. They will headline when they play.

I call bullshit. What is there to process? It's "Hey Daron, I heard you were in talks with Serj and them to get the band back together."
"Yeah, well sort of, we're trying to figure ev-"
"Here's a lot of money, headline my festival."
"Okay, I'll give Serj a call."

Pretty straightforward. I don't think Daron would think twice - IF it is, in fact, true, that he's done with SoB.

Backwater
10-13-2008, 12:46 AM
IF it is, in fact, true, that he's done with SoB.

See that's the question. He must be really pissed about the lack of ticket sales because he was really gung-ho about this project, so was John. A few months ago he said that SOB is absolutely going to record at least two more albums.

Blinken
10-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Exactly Backwater, Daron failed with SoB, and that kind of failure hurts. He did think that they would be succesful, esspecially after the success that Serj saw. Daron needs to reconcile this failure and Serj's success before he can get back together with him and do some System shows or a new album. He thought he was Serj's equal, that is why he started singing more and writing more songs on Mesmorize/Hypnotize. I could be wrong but I don't see him rushing to get back together with Serj right now. He will take some time and figure out what he wants to do. I would esstactic if they played at Coachella 09 but I still think it is too soon.

superfiction
10-13-2008, 11:38 AM
he is definately as good as serj. they jsut made a shitty album thats all. serjs album isnt better. it just sounds more like system. the songs arent well developed or off the map or anything. just standard run of the mill.

GnarVee
10-13-2008, 11:58 AM
bring back SOAD dammit!

the tour with Mars Volta was fucking awesome

Blinken
10-13-2008, 12:00 PM
I don't think he is as good as Serj. I always liked him best when sang backup vocals, but when started to sing whole songs it went downhill. Of course Serj's album is much better than Scars, why do you think he had a successful tour, and didn't have to cancel it? I am not saying Serj's album is great but it is alot better than Scars. I have seen both live shows and Serj's was miles above Scars on Broadway. Of course neither was as good as System of a Down, but soon enough they will be back together and we will be there to see it at the Polo Fields. :)

superfiction
10-13-2008, 01:07 PM
I don't think he is as good as Serj. I always liked him best when sang backup vocals, but when started to sing whole songs it went downhill. Of course Serj's album is much better than Scars, why do you think he had a successful tour, and didn't have to cancel it? I am not saying Serj's album is great but it is alot better than Scars. I have seen both live shows and Serj's was miles above Scars on Broadway. Of course neither was as good as System of a Down, but soon enough they will be back together and we will be there to see it at the Polo Fields. :)

the only super cool thing about serjs lilve show was the fact that had had ler from primus playing. i saw both as well

crazzz2007
10-13-2008, 04:09 PM
he is definately as good as serj. they jsut made a shitty album thats all. serjs album isnt better.

you have got to be kidding me.

crazzz2007
10-13-2008, 04:12 PM
I still really like the idea of a Rob Zombie->The Prodigy->Nine Inch Nails mainstage at Coachella this year.

that 3-act punch would probably adequately rival the glory of Saturday night of Coachella '08 for me.

sorry.

kraftwerk, portishead, prince > white zombie, the prodigy, NIN

sbessiso
10-13-2008, 04:19 PM
yo, seriously!

JSam, you be smoking the crack rocks too much

superfiction
10-13-2008, 04:23 PM
you have got to be kidding me.

no? so serj has a better voice...so what...darrons riffs are killer and his song writing is far superior. again maybe not on the sob album, but with system it alwys held true, look at the liner notes.

Jon Blazed
10-13-2008, 04:40 PM
white zombie and symstem of a down belong at oz fest.

Backwater
10-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Actually Daron and John fight more often than Daron and Serj. John told a funny story on loveline about how when they were recording Toxicity, the two of them got in a brutal fight involving guitars and mic stands while Serj and Shavo were just sitting on a couch watching, smoking a joint, because they knew it was useless to try to break it up.

Blinken
10-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Actually Daron and John fight more often than Daron and Serj. John told a funny story on loveline about how when they were recording Toxicity, the two of them got in a brutal fight involving guitars and mic stands while Serj and Shavo were just sitting on a couch watching, smoking a joint, because they knew it was useless to try to break it up.

lol, I hadn't heard that before. Explains why Scars on Broadway were 20 min late for their set.

frozen pilgrim
10-13-2008, 10:39 PM
it doesn't explain why they stunk more than the port-os during mum

rage patton
10-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Everything about Scars On Broadway sucked. It is a failed project. Daron see's this and wants to get System back together. All he needs to do is convince Serj.

frozen pilgrim
10-13-2008, 10:43 PM
=briefcase of money

superfiction
10-13-2008, 10:56 PM
josh you know i love you but where the fuck are you coming up with this?

rage patton
10-13-2008, 11:08 PM
C'mon man, you know at this point the only thing keeping SOAD from getting back together is Serj. There was nothing good about SOB. They had one song which caught my attention at Coachella, other than that it was a waste of time. With System, Daron had incredibly unique and interesting guitar riffs and style. With SOB he decided to throw all that he learned in Sytem out the window. Instead he decided to make generic 4 chord metal void of any creativity whatsoever.
Serj on the other hand, made an incredibly catchy album. The album wasn't great by any means, but it certainly had some quality songs and some damn catchy hooks. His live show was entertaining too. None of that can be said about SOB. And, like I said, Daron himself now realizes this.

Backwater
10-13-2008, 11:16 PM
josh you know i love you but where the fuck are you coming up with this?

Well I think we all agree, it's just that Blinken and ragepatton like the Serj album a little more than the rest of us. So what? We all want them to get back together. I don't understand this post.

psycobetabuckdown
10-13-2008, 11:44 PM
white zombie and symstem of a down belong at oz fest.

That's some bullshit, I hate it when people try to hate on music just cause it's not indie enough. They both fit the theme of the festival, whether or not you are turned off by loud guitar noise.

psycobetabuckdown
10-13-2008, 11:51 PM
C'mon man, you know at this point the only thing keeping SOAD from getting back together is Serj. There was nothing good about SOB. They had one song which caught my attention at Coachella, other than that it was a waste of time. With System, Daron had incredibly unique and interesting guitar riffs and style. With SOB he decided to throw all that he learned in Sytem out the window. Instead he decided to make generic 4 chord metal void of any creativity whatsoever.
Serj on the other hand, made an incredibly catchy album. The album wasn't great by any means, but it certainly had some quality songs and some damn catchy hooks. His live show was entertaining too. None of that can be said about SOB. And, like I said, Daron himself now realizes this.

Right, but don't you think Daron had more of a reason to branch out into a solo career? I didn't listen to Scars' album, but Serj's album sounded like a wannabe System album with added piano. If Serj was the one who wanted out, why the hell does his album sound like a System cover act?

Whoever above said to check out the liner notes, I will back up that opinion - Daron seemed to have more talent as far as songwriting, which is why his side project should have been much better than it was. If Scars had sounded more like "Lost in Hollywood" and "Lonely Day" and less like "Nookie" and "Break Stuff" (from what I've heard) then Daron could easily have a successful band. Instead, we're all talking about how Serj is so much better (he is better as a frontman but that's about it).

Backwater
10-14-2008, 12:07 AM
he is better as a frontman but that's about it.

True, very true. Daron wrote the best stuff for sure, the real backbone of SOAD.

However, I completely disagree about SOAD and especially White Zombie fitting the "theme" of Coachella. Please explain this "theme" if you would be so kind. If WZ fits the "theme" then so do about 30 other bands that should have (according to you) played Coachella over the past ten years, that instead opted to play Ozzfest.

Hipster fucks are afraid of good metal, face it, it's true.

psycobetabuckdown
10-14-2008, 12:56 AM
True, very true. Daron wrote the best stuff for sure, the real backbone of SOAD.

However, I completely disagree about SOAD and especially White Zombie fitting the "theme" of Coachella. Please explain this "theme" if you would be so kind. If WZ fits the "theme" then so do about 30 other bands that should have (according to you) played Coachella over the past ten years, that instead opted to play Ozzfest.

Hipster fucks are afraid of good metal, face it, it's true.

Well yeah, that's what I'm saying - it's nothing to do with whether they belong at Coachella, it's that it's just such negative energy, man, let's go watch a band that wears pink shorts instead.

Well Coachella is not just about one type of music - it's not about just indy rock or hip-hop or electronic. There's punk, hard rock, pop, metal, folk, country at Coachella. The inaugural year was headlined by Rage Against the Machine and Tool. The theme isn't about it all being metal either - it's about edgy bands, out-of-the-box acts, unique music. System of a Down isn't a fucking death metal band, we're not asking Lamb of God or Cradle of Filth to headline. It's alternative metal, and it obviously appeals to a lot of people on this board so it must be accessible to these type of fans. I agree White Zombie is less accessible in this way, but was still an edgy act, not a straightforward metal crunch band. They would definitely headline Ozzfest, but I agree that at Coachella they would probably be second-billed (definitely not third). I also agree that they wouldn't reunite at Coachella - it would be without a doubt at Ozzfest if at all.

I understand if indie kids are turned off by loud noises, but for those who are just avoiding metal because it isn't cool, think about whether you're really in this for the music. Listen to Isis, it's practically a metal Explosions in the Sky.

Memorial_07
10-14-2008, 09:29 AM
lol, I hadn't heard that before. Explains why Scars on Broadway were 20 min late for their set.

I heard that daron was (no bullshit) snorting coke because of how nervous he was.

at it kind of looked like it
no wonder he had sunglasses on

frozen pilgrim
10-14-2008, 09:32 AM
scars sounded like fall out boy, and the bass player made me hate jews

superfiction
10-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Well I think we all agree, it's just that Blinken and ragepatton like the Serj album a little more than the rest of us. So what? We all want them to get back together. I don't understand this post.

honestly i dont really care. ive seen all 3 acts. im glad i saw all three. no sob wasnt very good. i dont think darron is retreating into his hole because he feels like he failed. i think he is doing it because he is probably just a weird dude who had a nervous breakdown or something or maybe a weird thing with his family or broke up wiht a girlfriend or seomthing. who knows. that doesnt mean he wants system back, maybe he wants to start something totally new again. most people in enormous bands dont start another project so that they can get huge again, they do it so they can make exactly what they wanna make at that point in time.

Memorial_07
10-14-2008, 06:28 PM
scars sounded like fall out boy,

what the fuck?

wow
even helen keller could hear better than you of you think that

rage patton
10-14-2008, 06:36 PM
The bass player for SOB really did look like a douche. Seriously, who wears a leather blazer in the fucking desert? He was at Coachella and he still managed to look like a pretentious asshole.

frozen pilgrim
10-14-2008, 06:39 PM
what the fuck?

wow
even helen keller could hear better than you of you think that

nope. critical analysis, man. four chords per song, one beat, and no talent or creativity.

sbessiso
10-14-2008, 06:41 PM
what was going on during scars? I cant remember what I saw. I'm sure there was SOMETHING better guys! Just stick with me, I know where to go....

frozen pilgrim
10-14-2008, 06:47 PM
cinematic orchestra, hot chip, death cab

hell, even dwight yoakam would've been better

rage patton
10-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Fuck Hot Chip and Death Cab. I really wish I would have gone to see Dwight Yoakam instead.

frozen pilgrim
10-14-2008, 06:49 PM
I bounced for cinematic orchestra. I had a clear path to exit through the thirty feet of deserted mosh pit

sbessiso
10-14-2008, 06:52 PM
ouch. yikes! nevermind, that was my big mistake of the weekend. fucking death cab. its funny, you guys were being totally underwhelmed at one stage (outdoor?) while I was being completely murdered at the mainstage by DCFC. jesus christ, they were so fucking boring. I, no exageration I swear, almost seriously died during death cab. But it all worked out in the end because I got a preemo spot for KraftHeadPrince.

i still really wanna see hot chip though

Memorial_07
10-14-2008, 08:25 PM
nope. critical analysis, man. four chords per song, one beat, and no talent or creativity.

when you say that, some people might think punk.

frozen pilgrim
10-14-2008, 08:30 PM
no, what makes punk good (well, good punk) is the tangible creativity surging through the raw exterior. scars on broadway and fall out boy both have the depth of the shallow end of a kiddie pool.
like scuba diving in a shot glass.

Memorial_07
10-15-2008, 05:43 AM
nice analogy at the end

kudos

Backwater
10-15-2008, 11:29 PM
While I agree that they're both really shallow, and they both blow. SOB is so much heavier than FOB. There's about a million bands that sound more like SOB than FOB. Yeah, there seriously is probably about a million crappy metal bands these days.

frozen pilgrim
10-16-2008, 05:43 AM
yeah, I know. it wasn't intended to be a "omg so so right" kind of comparison. more a comment on the depth, or lack thereof

paulb
10-16-2008, 10:20 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3107/2457365459_0e8e90f949.jpg

i wasnt barricade or anything.... I think I was watching Serj Tankian and Shavo on the side of the stage more than I was watching Scars, just hoping they would walk on stage and start playing System shit...

frozen pilgrim
10-20-2008, 07:53 AM
http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=39584

ResurrectionJunkie, a moderator for the official Scars On Broadway forum, released this statement on Daron Malakian’s surprising cancellation of the band’s upcoming tour:

"Some other facts from the 'inside' that I was given permission to disclose, in no particular order:

1. Daron is physically okay. There were some rumors about him having throat cancer and some other things like that. ALL FALSE.

2. Opinions and rumors about Daron's drug use, going to rehab, and all related things are wholly UNTRUE. Daron did not cancel the tour on some whim or out of some selfish need to fuck around at Disneyland or because he can't stop smoking weed or any other such nonsense.

3. There IS a personal issue that Daron is dealing with right now that is at the root of the tour cancellation. His message to the fans already summed this up in a purposefully vague kind of way. This issue was not disclosed to me and will not be disclosed to anyone outside the band because it is NONE OF OUR BUSINESS."

There are still no plans to reschedule the tour.

Source: Revolver

heh.
damn. can this board call it or what?

superfiction
10-20-2008, 12:05 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3107/2457365459_0e8e90f949.jpg

i wasnt barricade or anything.... I think I was watching Serj Tankian and Shavo on the side of the stage more than I was watching Scars, just hoping they would walk on stage and start playing System shit...

shavo was there? i supotted serj but i didnt see him. hmmm that would have been pretty damn cool to come out for an encore or something.

Blinken
10-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Yeah I was hoping for at least one song, if they had came out and played Sugar. It would have been great.

TheCutestBoyAlive
11-08-2008, 03:31 PM
I was a really big fan of SOAD but stopped listening after STEAL THIS ALBUM, because I got bored of them once I discovered other music. I didn't bother listening to Serj solo or Scars on Broadway, I already knew it would suck. As for a SOAD reunion at Coachella, that would be something...

digitaldragon03
11-08-2008, 06:55 PM
I bounced for cinematic orchestra. I had a clear path to exit through the thirty feet of deserted mosh pit
I bounced for a hot dog.

Hot dog > Scars on Broadway

woogie846
11-08-2008, 07:23 PM
I bounced for a hot dog.

Hot dog > Scars on Broadway

hot dog bun > Scars on Broadway

rage patton
11-09-2008, 10:35 PM
shavo was there? i supotted serj but i didnt see him. hmmm that would have been pretty damn cool to come out for an encore or something.

They should have played Sugar. I would have gone nuts. Actually, ANY SOAD song would have made the entire set worth it.

M Sparks
12-01-2008, 02:48 PM
If White Zombie, or Rob Zombie for that matter, played, they would be third line. MAYBE second, but I doubt it.

It seems like Rob has some kind of an inferiority complex or something, or at the very least, he has NO ego. He's always doing opening slots or playing otherwise odd venues. I saw him do a small venue (500?) show last year, and it was a ton of fun. I think you could offer him a 5pm slot in the Mojave and he'd snap it up.

nationocean
12-01-2008, 09:38 PM
I don't know...I actually watched a healthy bit of Serj's set this last year, and frankly, there was no audience interaction on his part, and it seemed really, really flat.

i walked by him at the outdoor and stayed for one song... where he proceeded to dance around in a white suit and top hat doing the jig to a piano tune circa 1930's..

it was AWFUL.

please, let there be a soad reunion.

thewindowliquor
12-02-2008, 12:19 AM
worst band ever.