PDA

View Full Version : Has coachella ever had any good old punk bands?

Hugo1
10-07-2008, 11:08 AM
I for one would love to see Coachella get some old school punk music in there like

Manic Hispanic

Sex Pistols

FEAR

The Adolescents

Dead Kennedys

Rancid

T.S.O.L

What do you guys think?

frozen pilgrim
10-07-2008, 11:13 AM
they may not fall in with the manes above, but we've had iggy pop and the stooges, and we've had flogging molly

edit:
and I am hoping and praying that we'll get bad religion this year.

enriquevs
10-07-2008, 11:41 AM
if they reunite dead kennedys with jello biafra, i'm in.

nohardfelines
10-07-2008, 12:30 PM
and I am hoping and praying that we'll get bad religion this year.

really? why?

fiyahhh!
10-07-2008, 01:33 PM
I for one would love to see Coachella get some old school punk music in there like

Manic Hispanic

Sex Pistols

FEAR

The Adolescents

Dead Kennedys

Rancid

T.S.O.L

What do you guys think?

I think you should go to the Warped Tour... and Rancid is not old school.

frozen pilgrim
10-07-2008, 01:36 PM
really? why?

because they (bad religion) are amazing.
they're an incredibly good live act, and they just keep getting better. I've seen them five times, and each time was better than the last. them having a nighttime outdoor theater slot (presumably against a substantial conflict, akin to flogging molly) would be fucking fantastic. I promise you.

superfiction
10-07-2008, 01:47 PM
gang of four...

rage patton
10-07-2008, 02:01 PM
I think you should go to the Warped Tour... and Rancid is not old school.

Have you looked at Warped Tour line ups in the last 5 or so years? Basically no one goes to Warped Tour to see the bands listen in this thread anymore. The Vandals and GBH both had pittifully small attendance this year. But everyone there was shitting their pants waiting in anticipation for Motion City Soundtrack.
With that being said, The Vandals should be a at Coachella. They are a blast live. Rancid would also be awesome at Coachella.

RedThom
10-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Buzzcocks would good

fiyahhh!
10-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Have you looked at Warped Tour line ups in the last 5 or so years? Basically no one goes to Warped Tour to see the bands listen in this thread anymore. The Vandals and GBH both had pittifully small attendance this year. But everyone there was shitting their pants waiting in anticipation for Motion City Soundtrack.
With that being said, The Vandals should be a at Coachella. They are a blast live. Rancid would also be awesome at Coachella.

I lost interest in the Warped Tour a long time ago. The Vandals are fun live and yes, Rancid is awesome live as well. I was just getting back to my roots as an elitest punk by saying Rancid wasn't old school. Gang of Four is post-punk. Ok, I'm done.

Cdubby
10-07-2008, 02:11 PM
we need the misfits with danzig

fiyahhh!
10-07-2008, 02:12 PM
we need the misfits with danzig

I wonder how many people would paint their face for that?

stinkbutt
10-07-2008, 02:16 PM

Ha my ex was really good friends with those cats such d-bags.

stinkbutt
10-07-2008, 02:17 PM
I wonder how many people would paint their face for that?

I would try and grow a devilock for sure but not paint my face

rage patton
10-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Ha my ex was really good friends with those cats such d-bags.

I bet. They look like it. There were also tons of other douchebag bands at Warped Tour... but lets not get into that.

I would try and grow a devilock for sure but not paint my face

If I shaved the side of my head... I totally could do that.

M Sparks
10-07-2008, 03:26 PM
We had Tony James and Mick Jones this year. Doesn't get any more old school punk than that.

(Too bad it was so meh.)

EDIT And Paul Simenon the year before.

Cheddar's Cousin
10-07-2008, 06:08 PM
I could go for some FEAR or Dead Kennedys

Angry Samoans would also be nice.

anonimouse
10-07-2008, 06:15 PM
dk with biafra or misfits with danzig would be insane but it will never happen. sex pistols would be cool i guess. bad religion or rancid would just seem out of place, i wouldnt consider them oldschool anyway

futureperfect
10-07-2008, 06:19 PM
We could have Bad Religion always a class act. Generation X, Something truly Coachella would be to get Poly Styrene to do X Ray Spex. the Adolescents are on tour but i doubt they would go over big at Coachella but maybe in California who knows. Bad Brains would be awesome and maybe some Fugazi or something Sex Pistols blew when i saw them in 96 so nix that Rotten could barely keep up.

futureperfect
10-07-2008, 06:22 PM
dk with biafra or misfits with danzig would be insane but it will never happen. sex pistols would be cool i guess. bad religion or rancid would just seem out of place, i wouldnt consider them oldschool anyway

Bad Religion not old school? They are in their 28th year they started roughly in 1980 approximately 3years after the 77 explosion. So they are second wave or new school?

frozen pilgrim
10-07-2008, 06:57 PM
I was just about to say... bad religion is one of the last true veteran punk bands. as in real veterans, and real punk rock. how are they not old school?! because they didn't run out of material after four albums?

dorkfish
10-07-2008, 06:59 PM
I don't think that they have had any.

Operation Ivy would be great.

frozen pilgrim
10-07-2008, 06:59 PM
...iggy pop and the stooges don't count?

dorkfish
10-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Always thought of them as more pure old fashioned rock n roll more than punk.

frozen pilgrim
10-07-2008, 07:31 PM
I dunno. iggy pop is pretty freaking punk rock...
like, I could be wrong here, I'm a little baked, but yeah. as far as I know, iggy pop and the stooges are very much considered punk rock. he's like... THE persona

PC-2 Violence
10-07-2008, 07:32 PM
I dunno. iggy pop is pretty freaking punk rock...
like, I could be wrong here, I'm a little baked, but yeah. as far as I know, iggy pop and the stooges are very much considered punk rock. he's like... THE persona

agreed.

RotationSlimWang
10-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Contradiction in terms--all punk sucks fuck.

frozen pilgrim
10-07-2008, 07:39 PM
was that a sentence?
randy, I feel like you're losing it, man.

edit: in all probability, you're higher than me at the moment, so I'll just forget about it

RotationSlimWang
10-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Yes, it was a sentence, you illiterate shitbag. Interjection, dash, noun, verb, noun.

frozen pilgrim
10-07-2008, 07:46 PM
I see. so you dislike any and all punk.
how closed-minded of you. your loss.

RotationSlimWang
10-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Not closed-minded, open-eared.

frozen pilgrim
10-07-2008, 07:51 PM
evidently not. anybody who is incapable of finding anything of value in the entirety of punk music is, simply put, either not open minded, or is just lying and trying to incite anger. but I mean come on, everyone knows that you'd NEVER be so low as to just pick a stupid fight for no reason. you're not even saying you don't like it, you're making some asinine blanket pseudo-factual statement. just leave the thread if it has nothing of interest for you. you're so irrelevant these days... it must be upsetting.

RotationSlimWang
10-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Punk is practically by definition the simplest, least melodic genre of music ever to exist. It is a genre spawned by the talentless as a reaction to music sounding too "polished." It is the pinnacle of douchebaggery.

frozen pilgrim
10-07-2008, 07:58 PM
uh... no.
seriously, what happened to you, man? when I joined this board, you were funny, and the battles you picked made sense. now you're just another trolling dick. I'm not even continuing this. I'd be happy to debate you if you showed even a sign of actually being reasonable, but like I said, you're just trolling.

frozen pilgrim
10-07-2008, 07:59 PM
honestly, this is THE stupidest shit I have EVER heard on this board, ever.

"all punk sucks". grow up.

RotationSlimWang
10-07-2008, 08:06 PM
I've been arguing that same point since the first day I joined. Get with the times, gutterpunk.

frozen pilgrim
10-07-2008, 08:08 PM
then you've been a fucking moron since the day you joined. seriously, this is so hipster douchebaggey of you. just deciding something sucks arbitrarily to be cool. trying to make people mad to get attention. you really are a sad little kid

RotationSlimWang
10-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Punk is hipster douchebaggery. I actually like good music. You canadians can keep listening to whatever has the association to your preferred clothing line, I'll continue to care how it actually sounds.

anonimouse
10-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Bad Religion not old school? They are in their 28th year they started roughly in 1980 approximately 3years after the 77 explosion. So they are second wave or new school?

im aware of their history, i guess it would be fair to call BR old school but thats just not how i think of them. how could hell be any worse was really the only album i'd consider oldschool. they broke up for a few years, then they got back together to write the same album over and over and over. dont get me wrong, i like some of their albums quite a bit but most the new stuff just sounds so recycled.

i've seen them live a few times, never been too impressed. they're good and all but they just dont do it for me anymore. and 6 guys with mics babbling between songs gets annoying reaaaaaaaal fast. like kanye annoying but less funny.

frozen pilgrim
10-07-2008, 09:29 PM
im aware of their history, i guess it would be fair to call BR old school but thats just not how i think of them. how could hell be any worse was really the only album i'd consider oldschool. they broke up for a few years, then they got back together to write the same album over and over and over. dont get me wrong, i like some of their albums quite a bit but most the new stuff just sounds so recycled.

i've seen them live a few times, never been too impressed. they're good and all but they just dont do it for me anymore. and 6 guys with mics babbling between songs gets annoying reaaaaaaaal fast. like kanye annoying but less funny.

everything you have to say about them sounds completely and totally made up. it's just unsubstantiated garbage.

there are not six guys in the band, they don't waste time 'babbling'. and comparing greg graffin, a professor at UCLA "annoying like kanye but less funny" just paints you as a fucking moron

algunz
10-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Punk sucks, but that's why it's fun and cathartic.

Coachella started in '99. Punk and ska were lost in the shuffle.

Jon Blazed
10-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Yes. Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Stooges, and Red Kross.

I would welcome any of the following next year:

The Saints
The Sonics
The Cramps
Radiobirdman
Lou Reed
Patti Smith
DEVO
Blondie
NY Dolls
X

algunz
10-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Billy Idol. He's AWESOME live.

psychoc&ndy
10-07-2008, 10:37 PM
black flag, danzig, fugazi, or circle jerks would be pleasant

Xrawrthatboy
10-08-2008, 02:07 AM
I could see Bad Religion on the outdoor, but wouldn't really be too interested to hear much of their material after No Control. If I hear anything about the hills of LA burning I'm walking.

For the hell of it, X would be awesome too!

mvanwinkle
10-08-2008, 02:50 AM
fugazi would probably be the only thing I would not miss in this category

Backwater
10-08-2008, 03:02 AM
DEVO is SO fucking PUNK!!!

SoulDischarge
10-08-2008, 03:26 AM
Yes. Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Stooges, and Red Kross.

I would welcome any of the following next year:

The Saints
The Sonics
The Cramps
Radiobirdman
Lou Reed
Patti Smith
DEVO
Blondie
NY Dolls
X

For once, I actually agree with this motherfucker. Except Radio Birdman. I saw them at the El Rey and was pretty bored. "I-94" is the only song of theirs I really really like. It'd be one less conflict though.

fasttrack
10-08-2008, 03:36 AM
Punk is hipster douchebaggery. I actually like good music. You canadians can keep listening to whatever has the association to your preferred clothing line, I'll continue to care how it actually sounds.

so punk.

gaypalmsprings
10-08-2008, 07:17 AM
The Mormons

stinkbutt
10-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Punk is practically by definition the simplest, least melodic genre of music ever to exist. It is a genre spawned by the talentless as a reaction to music sounding too "polished." It is the pinnacle of douchebaggery.

While I do like some punk there is truth in this statement.

off topic but not really kinda: american hardcore the movie is the worst piece of shit ever

Cheddar's Cousin
10-08-2008, 10:53 AM
honestly, this is THE stupidest shit I have EVER heard on this board, ever.

"all punk sucks". grow up.

The volcano is just an overpriced heat gun. All you really need is the valve, some turkey roasting bags, and a rubber band.

Even if you go for the deluxe heat gun, it only comes to around $100.00.

You mean I've been dethroned?

frozen pilgrim
10-08-2008, 10:59 AM
yeah, dude.
I don't think there's been any crap between me and you for a while. I really don't hold grudges, man

Cheddar's Cousin
10-08-2008, 01:32 PM
From 5 days ago...

I can't believe I have to do this, but just to clarify, cheddar is an idiot and a troll, and if he so much as introduces himself to me at coachella, he's going to get a broken sternum.

if you want in on the real plans, find the dance all weekend camper's group

Okay... I understand now.

stinkbutt
10-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Pilgrim couldn't break shit besides maybe his own ribs when he sneezes the kid is tiny

and has a dumb haircut to boot

frozen pilgrim
10-08-2008, 01:58 PM
oh, right, it was you that was pretending to be speaking on my behalf with regards to a plan that's not happening due to the date change. (unless people still want it to). creating and bumping a thread with my name in the title and body, pretending to speak for me. it's hard to remember which moronic attention-seeking troll is which

Cheddar's Cousin
10-08-2008, 02:02 PM
So, no grudge then...?

anonimouse
10-08-2008, 02:06 PM
sounds like frozen pilgrim has some sand trapped in his vagina

frozen pilgrim
10-08-2008, 02:07 PM
dude, if you want to drop it, I'm obviously not going to go bringing it up again. I know you probably won't believe this, but no, I don't hold a specific grudge against you. I disdain the type of behavior that you were engaging in. but I'd expect that just as much as I know you're not going to try and steal my identity, you should know I'm not going to ruin my coachella my breaking someone's sternum. it's the internet, and I guess it's hard to tell when people aren't being totally serious, unless they say something completely unbelievable. and even then, sometimes you never know. bleh- I think I make too much of an effort to speak clearly on here, and somehow, people translate that as anger. if something was genuinely upsetting me, I wouldn't stick around. it's the internet.

edit:
also, as I've discovered over the last couple years, canadians casually swear more than anyone on the planet. so looking back at a few obscenity-laced posts, I can see how my somewhat serious approach to music and my habit of punctuating with expletives could make me seem angry. but nope- all hugs!

Cheddar's Cousin
10-08-2008, 02:11 PM
So, Not holding a grudge means insulting me months after the events which led up to you not holding a grudge, and theatening to break my sternum means that you have no intentions of breaking my sternum.

Thanks for speaking so clearly.

Just so you know, I won't be on top of your mom tonight.

frozen pilgrim
10-08-2008, 02:14 PM
see, now you're speaking exactly like PC and stinkbutt-
without a basic grasp of reality, and with an intentional ignorance to past events, in an attempt to take advantage of uninformed observers.

I've said this twice today already, but it's just true: you argue like john mccain

stinkbutt
10-08-2008, 02:17 PM
You're a towel

SoulDischarge
10-08-2008, 02:18 PM
And so this thread leads to the end result that all things related to punk eventually face. Bicker on.

boarderwoozel3
10-08-2008, 02:26 PM

Manic Hispanic

Sex Pistols

FEAR

The Adolescents

Dead Kennedys

Rancid

T.S.O.L

What do you guys think?

I imagine this has already been brought up but how is Rancid in that list? I like them a lot but Op-Ivy or Bad Religion totally trump. Just sayin...

Jon Blazed
10-08-2008, 02:42 PM
For once, I actually agree with this motherfucker. Except Radio Birdman. I saw them at the El Rey and was pretty bored. "I-94" is the only song of theirs I really really like. It'd be one less conflict though.

who are you and why do you think anyone cares if you agree with me...

looks fun to me!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8SzXpHiFFz0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8SzXpHiFFz0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SoulDischarge
10-08-2008, 03:03 PM
who are you and why do you think anyone cares if you agree with me...

I'm a very important person with an overabundance of clout in this world.

http://www.have-you-seen-this-man.com/men/man10.jpg

Cheddar's Cousin
10-08-2008, 05:06 PM
see, now you're speaking exactly like PC and stinkbutt-
without a basic grasp of reality, and with an intentional ignorance to past events, in an attempt to take advantage of uninformed observers.

I've said this twice today already, but it's just true: you argue like john mccain

And you, my friend, are an irrational douchenozzle who apparently makes it a habbit to say exactly the opposite of what he means.

Which, if I fully understand you now, means that I speak nothing like PC nor stinkbutt- with a firm grasp on reality and I am quite well aware of past events so as to aid uniformed observers in coming to the conclusion that you are a fucknut.

anonimouse
10-08-2008, 05:21 PM
You're a towel

no, you're a towel

shotglass75
10-08-2008, 05:24 PM
I have been saying for about 5 years now that they should get

Bad Religion
Social Distortion
Joan Jett
and
Rancid

Quadromarshia
10-08-2008, 05:41 PM
I'd like to see these acts-

Siouxsie and the Banshees
Blondie
Public Image Ltd.
DEVO
Television

blobby1
10-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Maybe Minor Threat? A little hardcore maybe to balance the punk. I don't know if Ian MacKaye would do this, though. A bit too commercial for him.

bigc1
10-08-2008, 09:12 PM
oh man...

Television
DEVO
Buzzcocks
Specials
Operation Ivy
Stranglers
Pogues
Wire
the Cramps
Damned
Streetlight Manifesto
Refused
The Jam
Husker Du
Modern Lovers
Feelies
Mission of Burma
Suicide

any of the above would be nice, i think Wire and the Specials will probably be there next year

frozen pilgrim
10-08-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm so so so down with the specials

I just got back form NOFX this second. they kicked serious ass.
also, eric melvin played the crowd out with 20 minutes of accordion after they closed the encore with 'theme from a nofx album'
pure gold.

dorkfish
10-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Maybe Minor Threat? A little hardcore maybe to balance the punk. I don't know if Ian MacKaye would do this, though. A bit too commercial for him.
His band The Evens played in 2004.

boarderwoozel3
10-08-2008, 10:08 PM

also, eric melvin played the crowd out with 20 minutes of accordion after they closed the encore with 'theme from a nofx album'
pure gold.

Those guys are so fun live. Did they play the Decline?

Backwater
10-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Face to Face would be cool, or how about The Minutemen?

dorkfish
10-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Face to Face would be cool, or how about The Minutemen?
As you know, D. Boon's still dead, so The Minutemen probably won't happen.

frozen pilgrim
10-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Those guys are so fun live. Did they play the Decline?

naw, they did the last time they were here, so tonight, according to fat mike, was "all the songs you specific people in toronto, including nubs, have never heard us play live before, and maybe some you have". so it included like three ska tracks, including kill all the white man, they also did bob, the quitter, and they closed their encore with 'theme from a nofx album'. they only played for about an hour and a half, but what to people expect from a punk band made up of dudes in their late forties

Backwater
10-09-2008, 02:45 AM
I thought of some more good ones but most of them might be more like post-punk:

Echo and the Bunnymen
Mission of Burma
Killing Joke
The Smithereens
The Dead Milkmen
Camper Van Beethoven
The Replacements
The Descendents

boarderwoozel3
10-09-2008, 02:49 AM
naw, they did the last time they were here, so tonight, according to fat mike, was "all the songs you specific people in toronto, including nubs, have never heard us play live before, and maybe some you have". so it included like three ska tracks, including kill all the white man, they also did bob, the quitter, and they closed their encore with 'theme from a nofx album'. they only played for about an hour and a half, but what to people expect from a punk band made up of dudes in their late forties

Bob is my track. They played the decline back in March on their Seattle stop. First time I had heard it live, sooooooooo badass.

clarky123
10-09-2008, 03:57 AM
Apparently Howard Devoto and Magazine are to reform for five dates in February 2009.
I wonder if they could be a possibility.

Mr.Nipples
10-09-2008, 04:03 AM
W9kR7P08fkI&hl=en&fs=1

iloveorangejuice
10-09-2008, 09:57 AM
fuck it. bad religion just gots to be there. fuck kroq for making them seem like a kroq band. and fuck all new school bro punk

Memorial_07
10-11-2008, 08:31 AM
For fuck's sake I've mentioned this so many times, make it happen!!!!!!!!!!!!

TSOL for '09!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

and the ADOLESCENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and especially BAD RELIGION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Memorial_07
10-11-2008, 08:33 AM

pure gold.

Seriously, NOFX fuckin' blow.
Keep them far far away from coachella.

Oh by the way, did you ever see GBH?

morelifefucker
10-13-2008, 01:42 PM
If bad religion isnt there i`m not going.

woogie846
10-13-2008, 02:48 PM
If bad religion isnt there i`m not going.

Seriously?.....wow.

paulb
10-13-2008, 02:51 PM
its a good stand.... Bad Religion would be perfect on the outdoor theater...

morelifefucker
10-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Seriously?.....wow.

nah. i was just kidding.

Memorial_07
10-14-2008, 10:39 AM
its a good stand.... Bad Religion would be perfect on the outdoor theater...

yes it would!

mandatory stage diving!