PDA

View Full Version : Animal Collective Mysteriously Announce New Album?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15

liquidsnake28
08-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Were people pissed they didn't play My Girls?

Well no, not at all, considering practically nobody at Lolla knew anything about AC. I was really close to the front and people just seemed to be checking them out because that's what happened to be playing at that stage at that time. I didn't see any big fans of theirs.

Yeah, woogie. They completely fucked up roo's set times this year. Their slot at Lolla was perfect, right before Tool at 7:30 when it was finally cooling down and getting dark.

send me ctrpllrs
08-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Holy shit this sounds so good.

wmgaretjax
08-15-2009, 12:14 PM
new stage setup yesterday, same old setlist (mostly):

MWE25V9sGws

Wwiws
House
Rabbit
Bearhug
Slippi
Chores
Daily routine
Bleed
Fwx
Bro sport
--
Lion
Ariel
Leaf house

suprefan
08-15-2009, 12:17 PM
I like it. Do they come back again and we get to see this stage set up? hmmmm

wmgaretjax
08-15-2009, 12:18 PM
i can't imagine them doing another full tour on this material... i think they probably just got some money from the prospect park show for stage getup that they gave to friends to fuck with.

pancakespancakes
09-13-2009, 12:25 PM
ATP setlist bump!

grace
also frightened
guys eyes
who could win a rabbit
summertime clothes
what would i want sky
my girls
lablakely/fireworks
brother sport

Unfortunately I was right when I predicted no new stuff and no Deakin for ATP... but hey at least they played Grace. I believe last night's set will be some kind of ending to an era. The end of the MPP era.

PineapplePete
09-13-2009, 06:55 PM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=55T616HR

pretty decent recording of panda bear's solo set at ATP. guys eyes, a cover of notwist's boneless, jazzed up version of bros, and a new song.

pancakespancakes
09-13-2009, 07:08 PM
I have been playing that set aaaaaaall day. Funny how much more I've been amped on the Panda solo set than AC's main set. But it really is a pretty special set and the recording is just great. I'll be listening to this for a long time.

Still-ill
09-13-2009, 07:29 PM
I have been playing that set aaaaaaall day. Funny how much more I've been amped on the Panda solo set than AC's main set. But it really is a pretty special set and the recording is just great. I'll be listening to this for a long time.
He structured that set perfectly. AC have never structured a set perfectly when ever I've seen them/heard them live.

PineapplePete
09-13-2009, 09:29 PM
ya its great but "daily routine" makes me want to beat my speakers into oblivion. he must've forgot to turn the fucking sample off. jesus.

Still-ill
10-07-2009, 11:24 AM
We're still waiting on any sort of confirmation on this, but Animal Collective just might cap off their amazing year with another new release.

Right now, Amazon has a page for a new Animal Collective release called Fall Be Kind. There's no tracklist or cover art up, but there is a release date: December 8. And there is a record label: Domino. You can preorder this mysterious little platter for $11.38.

Hmm...

pancakespancakes
10-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Uhhhhh.

pancakespancakes
10-07-2009, 11:32 AM
I got nothin to say.

Still-ill
10-07-2009, 11:34 AM
I already went ahead pre-ordered whatever the fuck it is... that may have been a mistake haha.

Fall be Kind (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B002RD4V08/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance)

wmgaretjax
10-07-2009, 12:46 PM
If Domino puts it out, there will be plenty of copies.

TallGuyCM
10-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Hmm...

OMG WTF BEST ALBUM OF 2009zzzz!!!!!!!

send me ctrpllrs
10-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Brother Sport single due 12/8. (http://pitchfork.com/news/36749-animal-collective-to-release-brothersport-single/) Only two tracks though, Brother Sport and what is apparently now called Bleeding. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking this means no studio version of Grace or What Would I Want Sky.

pancakespancakes
10-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm so confused.

There is definitely still a separate release on the way called Fall Be Kind. Likely an EP, and likely featuring a studio version of What Would I Want Sky. What's confusing is that they have the same release date. I don't get why this is.

Well, hey, I hope the "Bleed" they use is the Big Sur recording!

dorkfish
10-08-2009, 01:29 PM
they definitely recorded What Would I Want Sky.

send me ctrpllrs
10-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Oh yes, I forgot about that. Probably right that it is an EP.

My hope is that it will be WWIWS, Grace, and something we've never heard.

And yes, Big Sur would be the best choice for that song. I haven't heard any better versions.

pancakespancakes
10-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Somebody from CA found this somewhere, and it gave me quite a bit of hope:
http://www.joelambertmastering.com/news.html (3rd paragraph)

On the other hand, Domino apparently is denying the extistence of Fall Be Kind still. They're probably just waiting for an official announcement date that they planned ahead of time.

dorkfish
10-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Fall Be Kind EP

1. Graze
2. Bleed
3. What Would I Want Sky
4. On a Highway
5. I Think I Can

dorkfish
10-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Pitchfork: Fall Be Kind is an EP, right?

Dave Portner: Yeah. It's like 28 minutes long, five songs. The title is kind of a play on "fall behind," when you move the clocks back. Everything seems to be very seasonal or weather-oriented for us this year. I wanted to keep it a little bit in line with that. It felt like Merriweather Post Pavilion was really springy or summery. We always try and push for our releases to come out at a specific time. It didn't really happen with Merriweather, unfortunately, but that's because we just really wanted to get that one out quickly. But with this one, we were hoping it would come out in the fall, so Fall Be Kind. I think digitally it's probably going to come out in the middle of November, with a pre-order kind of thing for vinyl or CD for the beginning of December.

Pitchfork: Did you record the songs on the EP at the same time as the Merriweather material?

DP: Some of them. The first song is called "Graze", and it's one we've been playing live since we started playing the Merriweather stuff. It was in our original 2007 set of those songs. We definitely started recording it then. The last song on the EP is called "I Think I Can". They're just two songs that we wanted to take a little more time on. We usually have two passes on the songs when we're recording them. We'll go into a studio and record everything that we do live, basically, and do rough mixes. And then there's ideas that we take into the studio that we know we're going to do with the songs, and we're writing stuff as we go along. So we go back after we lay down the initial tracks for every song, which was 14 songs when we recorded Merriweather. We went back and decided what songs to work on right off the bat, and those two-- "I Think I Can" and "Graze-- we knew they wouldn't really fit on Merriweather, so we thought we'd put them aside until later.

The second song on the EP is called "What Would I Want? Sky", which is the one with the Grateful Dead sample that people have been talking about a little bit. I went there with the blueprint of the song, but we never really played it together. We didn't even really get to that one. We didn't talk about it, but we figured we'd come back to it. And then we started playing that song live this year. We jammed in Lisbon for our first tour this year and worked it out. We decided we would record it for the EP.

The third song is called "Bleed", and that's another one we've been playing this year that just came together really fast. I thought it would be cool to do something a little bit more droney for our tour to throw in our live set. We ended up just being pretty psyched on it. It's pretty simple, a kind of repetitive song. So we recorded that one.

The fourth song is called "On a Highway", and it's from the Merriweather era, too. We've done it on a BBC session. We started recording it during Merriweather, but it was the most like, "Whoa, this is definitely not going to fit on the record." It's got different vibes altogether. We changed it a little. We went into the studio in Brooklyn, a studio called Mission. Ben Allen, the guy we've been working with on Merriweather and these songs, has been working there a lot, and he's pretty familiar with it. It's got a really great live room, so there's a lot of that on the new stuff we've recorded. The drums sound really roomy and sweet.

Pitchfork: You said this EP's got more of an autumn feel to it. How would you say it's different from the Merriweather stuff?

DP: The vibe is a little bit darker, I'd say-- not in terms of the sound, maybe. Well, the melodies are definitely darker. It's not abrasive dark or anything, but I think the mood of it has just a little bit more of a nighttime, kind of dark, sad vibe, even though I think "What Would I Want? Sky" is a little bit more positive or upbeat. That's the only one. And then "I Think I Can" is very rhythmic, too. A lot of it's not so rhythmic, or at least not as much as Merriweather is. It's a little bit more washy and kind of orchestral.

Pitchfork: Is there any reason for you to put out the dark record now, other than the seasonal change?

DP: Maybe. I don't know. I just think there's songs of ours that are like that. We write about whatever we encounter, whatever seems to be a big thing. In the past two years, there have definitely been some darker topics worth writing about, and I think they all fit together on this. I wouldn't necessarily say that "Graze" or "What Would I Want? Sky", the first two jams, are topically particularly that dark. We even wondered if all these songs feel like a bunch of leftover songs, but I think they definitely do fit together in a sweet way. I guess because I associate fall with Halloween, which is my favorite holiday. It just has that feeling, too. I really like autumn; I don't necessarily feel like it's a dark season or anything. The transitional seasons are usually my favorite.

Pitchfork: So it's not that you guys are in a dark place or anything?

DP: No, no. There are just dark moments. You can't hide them. So we just put it out there. [Laughs.]

Pitchfork: Do you know what you're going to be for Halloween this year?

DP: No, I've been thinking about it. Brian [Weitz, aka Geologist] is getting married on Halloween, so we're all going to dress up for his wedding. I'm trying to think of a good costume for it. I don't necessarily want to come up with something that's too dark because I don't want to be a dark shadow at the wedding. I might contribute some music for it. The whole dress-up vibe will be cool.

Pitchfork: With "What Would I Want? Sky", the Grateful Dead sample is kind of a big deal. You got their first ever licensed sample.

DP: Yeah. The more I think about it, the more it blows my mind. It's a world I never thought, at least musically, I would be anywhere near. It's crazy.

Pitchfork: Did you have communication with their camp?

DP: Not me personally, but I guess Phil Lesh, who wrote the original Dead song, did listen to the track and was into it. That means a lot to me and the rest of the dudes in the band.

Pitchfork: Are you big fans?

DP: Yeah, mostly Brian and I. But we've definitely got Noah [Lennox, aka Panda Bear] and Josh [Dibb, aka Deakin] to appreciate certain aspects of the Dead over the years.

Pitchfork: Did you go to Dead shows when you were younger?

DP: Yeah, definitely in the latter stages of their career, the early 90s. I probably went to near 10 shows. It was the big summer concert. I went with my older brother, and we'd go at four or five in the morning to the mall near my house to stand in line at the Hecht Company for the Ticketmaster tickets. They'd play three days at RFK Stadium, and they'd sell out in a half hour. It was insane.

Pitchfork: You're also putting out this "Brothersport" single.

DP: Yeah. Initially, the idea was to do this Brothersport EP and then have all these other tracks on that. But the way that promotion for records goes, we wanted these other songs to be their own thing. The EP stands on its own away from Merriweather. Not that it's completely different-- I mean, it definitely sounds like it's us, the same band that did Merriweather. But I think putting "Brothersport" on that EP, with the way our label promotes things, it would have just seemed more like the "Brothersport" single with a bunch of B-sides. So it seemed if we were going to do something with "Brothersport", which is a really sweet song on its own, that it would be its own 10" thing. The B-side to the single is a live version of "Bleed", which we did at Big Sur on our last large U.S. tour. We played at the Henry Miller Library, which was awesome. We did this extended jam linking "Bleed" into "What Would I Want? Sky", so that's on there, too.

Pitchfork: I understand you're almost done making a movie with your frequent video collaborator Danny Perez.

DP: Yeah. Musically, I think there might be a few minor mixing things that we have to do-- changes, tweaks, whatever you want to call them. Musically, it's all written and done and laid down. Danny has to do whatever you do to finalize film stuff. That's not really my world, so I don't know so well, but I know there's color correction and that kind of thing, smoothing out all the edits. Danny could probably work on it forever. [Laughs.] After three years, we're all pretty much ready to be done with it. We watched it straight through twice now in a projected theater situation, and we're all really psyched on it. Hopefully, it'll be done sometime next year.

Pitchfork: Does the movie have a title?

DP: Not yet. We're throwing around some. We usually keep it to ourselves until we're really certain we've got the one. There's a little bit of debating going on. There's a few titles we're all psyched on, but it's a matter of finding out what sits right, what looks right in terms of putting it in the credits.

Pitchfork: Does the film have a story?

DP: No, not really. Maybe here and there, in our minds, there's some weird narratives going on. The whole thing cohesively doesn't have one narrative; it's more of a visual or psychedelic thing. There are parts that are almost completely abstract, and there are parts that are little bit more live-action.

Pitchfork: Is the movie going to be in theaters?

DP: We'd like to screen it places. It's a little early to say what we'll do with it. It'd be cool to have the opportunity. I think we submitted it to Sundance, so that's really the first step. That's why we're hoping to get it done by this month-- so we can do that. From there, we're definitely going to do a DVD release on this company Plexifilm that's done a lot of other music DVDs. And hopefully we'll tour it around. It'd be nice to do something like that, since we're not really going to do other touring, at least for a little while.

Pitchfork: You're taking a break from touring?

DP: Yeah. We've done a lot of it in the past two years. At this point, it's time for us to take a break. It's the most we've ever taken one group of songs, one era out on the road. We were excited and enthusiastic to go to all the different places we've been, especially this year with all the festivals. I just think it feels like a natural ending to it all. We're going to go to Australia in December. I'm really looking forward to that because we've only done that one time before. It's going to be a slightly bigger thing this time around. So that'll be great. But I think after that, we want to take a break and start thinking about music more, really going at it and working a lot on it, and work on other things and get inspired by other things, then next year start writing again.

Pitchfork: In the past year or so, you've playing on bigger stages than you've ever been on before. How's it been?

DP: In terms of the festivals and I guess the larger club shows, it can feel really great and amazing, and it can feel not so good. With a lot of the festivals, it's taken a while to get used to the fast-pace operation. You come in, and you don't really get a soundcheck. You just set up, and we have a pretty big setup in terms of the visual stuff that we like to do. It often feels, when we do festivals, like we're not really in our element, especially if we have to play in the middle of the day. Bonnaroo didn't really feel good for us at all. It was scorching hot, and we were really tired, and it was the end of our tour. But then there were some others-- it's really hard to say what makes it good and what makes it not good. It has to do with the connection of the crowd. It's amazing when you're playing for 20,000 people or whatever and it just feels like you're there, and it doesn't feel more than like 500. You get the same kind of personal feeling, you know?

But then there are other times where it just feels like we're in our own world, not really connecting with anybody. We're doing something where we're not just going out and playing Merriweather-- which, for a lot of people coming to see us, especially at a place like Bonnaroo or Lollapalooza, is probably what they want. But we're doing something that's fun to us and offering something a little bit different than just listening to our record, which I think is really important for us. Just in terms of going to see a band live, at least for me, I always like when they're doing something a little bit different-- even though I understand and can sympathize with wanting to hear the hits, too. We sold out most of our last U.S. tour, and it just felt really crazy. It's just unfortunate when there's those shows where we feel like we don't connect, but it happens to everybody. You can't always play great shows.

Pitchfork: Has there been any talk of you playing Merriweather Post Pavilion, the venue?

DP: Yeah, we did talk about it for a little while. When we get involved with something like that, especially with how late in the year the show was supposed to happen-- I think they wanted it to happen around now. And for us having played so many shows already this year in the U.S., we thought it wasn't really worth it unless we could set up our own festival or something like that. Then, after kind of going back and forth about which bands we could get to play, it just didn't seem to be worth it to us. We didn't really just want to go play our own show there; it would just feel like we're just playing too much. As much as we've played this year, we like to keep it pretty special for us and keep things minimal in terms of what cities we're playing. We were doing these two big Prospect Park shows in New York at the end of the summer, and in terms of the U.S., that felt like a really good conclusion to it all.

As much as I'd love to play Merriweather, I don't know, the situation it turned into didn't seem that special to us, so we decided not to do it. I definitely enjoyed going there when I was younger-- certain shows in the summer, on that lawn, whether I liked the band or not. If there was something even remotely interesting happening there, it was a cool place to go.

Pitchfork: Who did you see there?

DP: I think the most memorable show I saw there was Bob Weir from the Grateful Dead and this dude Rob Wasserman he plays with sometimes. I also saw Metallica there; I think maybe they played with Alice in Chains, I'm not sure. I saw the Violent Femmes there. I saw Elton John there with my family; that kind of ruled. I think I went there for a James Taylor show, which now I wish I hadn't done. [Laughs.]

send me ctrpllrs
10-09-2009, 12:14 PM
And the Bleed on the Brother Sport single is going to be from Big Sur!

Good news indeed. Can't wait.

Still-ill
10-09-2009, 12:56 PM
28 minutes? That's almost a full length. Awesome!

pancakespancakes
10-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Wow. Just everything I was hoping for and more coming out of that interview. Sweet news today. Couldn't have asked for anything else.

kitt kat
10-20-2009, 11:52 AM
This was the EP Dave mentioned to me at ATPPPPP.

and OMG ANCO BROS AND PETA
http://web11.twitpic.com/img/37397969-9ec8ab618e6bc95ba25323beca0731df.4ade0619-full.jpg

TallGuyCM
11-09-2009, 11:26 AM
This is probably just repeating what you all already know, but they posted this on their myspace blog this morning:

'Fall Be Kind' Release
ANIMAL COLLECTIVE TO RELEASE NEW EP
FALL BE KIND IN STORES DECEMBER 15, 2009

Animal Collective are set to release a new five track studio EP on November 23rd 2009 (digitally) and 15th December (physically).

Recorded by Ben Allen at Sweet Tea in Oxford, MS in February 2008 and at Mission Sound in Brooklyn, NY August 2009, Fall Be Kind includes recent live favorites Graze and What Would I Want? Sky (featuring the first ever licensed Grateful Dead sample). Fall be Kind will be available worldwide on CD, 12” vinyl and via digital download.

The EP comes less than one year after the band’s critically acclaimed album Merriweather Post Pavilion which wowed fans and critics across the globe. Merriweather has already been named one of the most important albums of the year by Q magazine and Spin in the US, and of the entire decade by Uncut and Pitchfork. Expect to see Merriweather Post Pavilion named one of the year’s best by fans and critics as the year comes to a close.

Track Listing
1 - Graze
2 - What Would I Want? Sky
3 - Bleed
4 - On a Highway
5 - I Think I Can

suprefan
11-12-2009, 04:59 PM
http://myanimalhome.net/

TallGuyCM
11-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Cool video. Wow, I had NO idea that voice was saying "I'm a Dancer" at the beginning of that song.

Devin the Dude
11-12-2009, 07:43 PM
i want a leak now.

Pat24
11-12-2009, 08:00 PM
http://myanimalhome.net/

Cool. Jason Dill.

suprefan
11-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Panda Bear solo dates......

01-15 Berlin, Germany - Hebbel Am Ufer
01-16 Leuven, Belgium - Artefakt at Stuk Kunstencentrum
01-17 Kortrijk, Belgium - De Kreun

Animal Collective:

12-08 Auckland, New Zealand - Powerstation *
12-10 Brisbane, Australia - Tivoli Theatre *
12-11 Sydney, Australia - Enmore Theatre *
12-12 Melbourne, Australia - Meredith Music Festival
12-14 Melbourne, Australia - Forum Theatre *
12-15 Melbourne, Australia - Prince Bandroom *
12-17 Perth, Australia - Capitol *

* with Bachelorette

wmgaretjax
11-13-2009, 05:06 PM
man... if he does any US shows again... I bet there will be some west coast love. i can dream...

suprefan
11-13-2009, 05:21 PM
The coachella discussion begins.....

Also, Panda Bear performing Person Pitch at Pitchfork on Fridays ''Dont Look Back'?

pancakespancakes
11-13-2009, 05:28 PM
He's listed on the Monklish blog now.

Considering how accurate she was with last year's lineup............ dammit I am hopeful...

suprefan
11-13-2009, 05:34 PM
He's listed on the Monklish blog now.

Considering how accurate she was with last year's lineup............ dammit I am hopeful...

I have to give you hope dont I. ;)

wmgaretjax
11-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Also, Panda Bear performing Person Pitch at Pitchfork on Fridays ''Dont Look Back'?

nah. can't see him doing that.

suprefan
11-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Hopefully they get Mogwai to do Young Team and Pavement does Slanted and Enchanted, thatll do.

wmgaretjax
11-18-2009, 12:12 PM
this band makes me happier than any other. this EP is fucking incredible.

ficklecycle
11-18-2009, 12:23 PM
I miss these guys. Even though I've seen them a bunch of time in the last 3 years, they always put on great shows.

dorkfish
11-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Pretty sure Panda Bear said that he was using ATP NY as a last hurrah to be finished with the Peson Pitch material.

dorkfish
11-18-2009, 12:41 PM
this band makes me happier than any other. this EP is fucking incredible.
seriously. I like that this was supposed to be a "darker" EP. What Would I Want? Sky is one of their most uplifting songs, yet, and the rest of the EP doesn't get much darker than Bleeding.

wmgaretjax
11-18-2009, 01:55 PM
the whole EP is great... but man it's bookended by two fucking incredible songs.

LooseAtTheZoo
11-18-2009, 01:57 PM
the whole EP is great... but man it's bookended by two fucking incredible songs.

EDIT: Nevermind, thanks a bunch

dorkfish
11-18-2009, 02:01 PM
I can say that I would enjoy seeing "I Think I Can" performed live.

PJandBompton
11-18-2009, 03:19 PM
so sick. LOVING this EP...

PJandBompton
11-18-2009, 03:28 PM
damn...What Would I Want? Sky is sooooo good

thestripe
11-18-2009, 05:32 PM
damn...What Would I Want? Sky is sooooo good

Wow, you ain't kidd'n. This is great stuff.

bmack86
11-18-2009, 05:59 PM
yeah, What Would I want Sky is a killer.

pancakespancakes
11-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Initial thoughts... I fucking love it (how couldn't I?)... it very much sounds like an extension of Merriweather the way the past three EPs were extensions of the albums they came after, which is what I was totally hoping for.

I was pretty disappointed by the studio version of WWIWS at first, considering it's one of my favorite AC songs ever, but I've come to really love it. Wouldn't have done it any other way. Everything else is just awesome.

clumsy342
11-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Listening now!

This is very exciting.

hope I like it.

send me ctrpllrs
11-18-2009, 08:18 PM
On What Would I Want Sky now, one of my favorite tracks they've ever done. I love it. So happy right now.

clumsy342
11-18-2009, 08:23 PM
wait til you hear "I Think I Can"... wowza.

send me ctrpllrs
11-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Yeah, spot on there. "I Think I Can" blew my mind, so good. I've turned off all music for a few moments to let that sink in. I don't think I can resist playing it again in a few minutes though.

TallGuyCM
11-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Reeeeally hoping that there's a working link for the EP when I'm back home after Thanksgiving...not counting on it though.

Devin the Dude
11-19-2009, 12:35 PM
have you guys listened to this high yet?

omg

CrimesceneCookie
11-19-2009, 12:55 PM
has anyone listened to it sober?!

when an AC release gets leaked, acid dealers phones ring off the hook....

Devin the Dude
11-19-2009, 01:01 PM
i've done both. it is much more impressive if you are high, like all animal collective releases.

pancakespancakes
11-19-2009, 01:12 PM
have you guys listened to this high yet?

omg

This is my mission for this evening.

caco0283
11-19-2009, 01:19 PM
can anyone send this to me??? ppllzzzz

Devin the Dude
11-19-2009, 02:23 PM
you got a pm.

suprefan
11-19-2009, 04:42 PM
S**T

http://www.thefader.com/2009/11/19/ac-bros-crack-box-ltd-ed-prints-now-available/

How many million jokes could we make about what Animal Collective fans would be willing to do to get their hands on one of the brand spanking new, limited to 150 Crack Box screenprinted posters? Several million. But we won’t because we actually really want one too. One the best things about the Crack Box is the mindspiral Jon Vermilyea’s art induces before the needle even drops, so to have it in a format that allows us to literally roll it around our heads as if they were giant nugs in the AC cosmic spliff is a glorious thing. The only problem is that they will probably be gone by the time this post is done. Can’t hurt to try though. Here’s what the box set’s creative director, Rob Carmichael, wrote about the poster’s production:

Screenprinted in four colors to match the outer slipcase of the Animal Crack Box. Limited edition of 150 prints on high quality, all-cotton Coventry Rag 335 gsm paper. The printed area measures 18 x 35″; the full sheet measures 20 x 37″. Copies are signed and numbered by Jon Vermilyea and SEEN. Suitable for framing (PLEASE don’t simply tack this to your wall!).

BUY HERE (http://www.seenstudio.com/store/)

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/6768/crackprint1.jpg (http://img136.imageshack.us/i/crackprint1.jpg/)
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/5760/crackprint2.jpg (http://img509.imageshack.us/i/crackprint2.jpg/)
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/5030/crackprint3.jpg (http://img267.imageshack.us/i/crackprint3.jpg/)

PJandBompton
11-19-2009, 04:52 PM
What Would I Want? Sky and I Think I Can are two of the best songs i've heard all year. unbelievable

LooseAtTheZoo
11-20-2009, 01:30 PM
http://flavorwire.com/51467/advance-notice-animal-collectives-fall-be-kind-ep

I thought I would share a track-by-track review I wrote for Flavorwire on the Fall Be Kind EP.

iGz89
11-21-2009, 02:50 PM
When terrible videos ruin fantastic songs...

fYEAflCO4Eo

PS
It's their official music video.

suprefan
11-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Yeah I think Grizzly Bear beat em out on getting weird and creative now with videos.

Devin the Dude
11-21-2009, 04:10 PM
haha Knife. that video is reTARD.

Jman4321
11-21-2009, 10:44 PM
The video for "Two Weeks" is one of my favorite of all time.

wmgaretjax
11-21-2009, 10:48 PM
The band has been incredibly hit and miss with videos. MPP has been awful so far (with the last two suffering from really fucking terrible dance stuff, and I say this as someone who really enjoys dance).

ficklecycle
11-21-2009, 11:05 PM
I Think I Can is such a beautiful song.

Still-ill
11-22-2009, 11:28 PM
You know, it's funny. All I hear people talk about on the new EP is the bookends (Graze and I think I Can) plus What Would I want? Sky. But, Don't get me wrong, those songs are really awesome, but Bleed and On a Highway are the two I find myself humming along to.

Devin the Dude
11-23-2009, 12:21 AM
i love animal collective. so much. this band is life-changing, if you let it.

pancakespancakes
11-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Here we come, Coachella. (http://pitchfork.com/news/37189-wilco-panda-bear-new-pornographers-the-fall-xx-join-primavera-lineup/)

Chances of actually getting a Panda set on the polo fields only seem to be getting higher...

suprefan
11-23-2009, 10:34 AM
check Primavera thread.....

dorkfish
11-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Here we come, Coachella. (http://pitchfork.com/news/37189-wilco-panda-bear-new-pornographers-the-fall-xx-join-primavera-lineup/)

Chances of actually getting a Panda set on the polo fields only seem to be getting higher...
Is it? He's performed in Spain several times, now. He lives in Spain. I just don't see it as anything that makes it more likely.

TallGuyCM
11-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Is it? He's performed in Spain several times, now. He lives in Spain. I just don't see it as anything that makes it more likely.

I thought he lived in Portugal with his wife and kid or kids. omg did he move?!?!?

Still-ill
11-23-2009, 05:30 PM
http://www.vakantieappartementenalgarve.nl/portugal/files_holiday_apartments_portugal_uk/portugal.gif
Other than the fact they speak a different language, Portugal is pretty much Spain.

pancakespancakes
11-23-2009, 06:20 PM

No, my post was still very much extreme wishful thinking, I think it's just the fact that there are two festivals in a row for which he is coming out of his solo-live-performance-hibernation now, that both happen to bookend Coachella in time... and being that Primavera and ATP are two of the only indie rock festivals to my knowledge that are as successful in booking "rarities" (such as Panda Bear) as Coachella, I think odds are good that Noah would be interested in playing this April if he was asked.

(This also taking into consideration the admiration for Coachella that the band has once mentioned.)

WhyTheLongFace
11-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Listening now. I like so far.

wmgaretjax
11-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Other than the fact they speak a different language, Portugal is pretty much Spain.

well... that and the culture... but sure...

wmgaretjax
12-03-2009, 02:40 PM
visual album at sundance with a spring screening tour. it's called ODDSAC

http://festival.sundance.org/2010/press_industry/releases/2010_sundance_film_festival_announces_films_in_pre mieres/

http://twitter.com/ODDSAC

send me ctrpllrs
12-06-2009, 12:54 AM
That should definitely be interesting. Can't wait to see that.

I was listening to Panda Bear's ATP set earlier and I noticed that he opened with I Think I Can (a version of it anyway), before he went into Chores. Never knew the words to the beginning of the set, but I've heard the AC one so many times that I found myself singing along, nice realization.

TallGuyCM
12-07-2009, 03:18 PM

TallGuyCM
12-07-2009, 03:19 PM
New Pantha du Prince song feat. Panda Bear here (http://www.mediafire.com/?gtlhz24fvkj).

wmgaretjax
12-07-2009, 03:29 PM
some of those vocals sound like they were a part of his ATP set. i liked them there better. still, not a bad track.

dorkfish
12-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Help Deakin/Deacon go to Mali:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/legupmgmt/deacon-animal-collective-at-the-festival-in-the

Pledge $20 or more
LIMITED REWARD 82 of 100 remaining
You will receive a signed photograph taken by Josh while on his travels in Africa.
Backer 18 BACKERs

Pledge $100 or more
LIMITED REWARD 194 of 200 remaining
You shall receive a CD of sounds and music recorded on the trip, as sculpted and edited by Josh upon his return. CD will be hand packaged, signed and numbered.
Backer 6 BACKERs

Pledge $150 or more
LIMITED REWARD 297 of 300 remaining
Supporters will receive a hand signed limited edition full color, art bound book containing photos, writing, drawings, etc... collected from the traveling party while on their adventures in Africa.
Backer 3 BACKERs

Pledge $200 or more
LIMITED REWARD 46 of 50 remaining
receive both the CD and Book from Josh's trip to Mali.

PJandBompton
12-07-2009, 06:03 PM
why don't they just play Coach and he can use his portion to go...just sayin

paulthomasanderson
12-07-2009, 06:33 PM
I approve of this new EP of theirs. Brilliant. Hopefully their forthcoming film will be too. I may be attending Sundance in 2010 so I will let everyone know how it is when the time comes.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-07-2009, 07:38 PM
why don't they just play Coach and he can use his portion to go...just sayin

Because Panda Bear is going to be @ Coachella doing his thing. :D excited!

TallGuyCM
12-08-2009, 01:45 AM
Because Panda Bear is going to be @ Coachella doing his thing. :D excited!

This.

Still-ill
12-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Fall be Kind arrived today... a little beat up actually. The sleeve that is.

wmgaretjax
12-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Fall be Kind arrived today... a little beat up actually. The sleeve that is.

who'd you order from?

Still-ill
12-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Pre-ordered from the source, Domino.

kitt kat
12-08-2009, 04:08 PM
visual album at sundance with a spring screening tour. it's called ODDSAC

http://festival.sundance.org/2010/press_industry/releases/2010_sundance_film_festival_announces_films_in_pre mieres/

http://twitter.com/ODDSAC

http://sketchytown.com/unknownparties/photo/

Um, Deacon gave me a hint at ATP and I didn't even know.

wmgaretjax
12-08-2009, 04:11 PM
haha. that's great.

wmgaretjax
12-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Pre-ordered from the source, Domino.

shitty. i'm gonna go with insound then.

kitt kat
12-08-2009, 04:12 PM
I know! I got a text from my friend who I went to ATP with the morning they announced it, and I had to go back and check the picture. Ha.

Also the one year I don't go to Sundance is the year with a fucking Animal Collective movie. Go figure.

wmgaretjax
12-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Also the one year I don't go to Sundance is the year with a fucking Animal Collective movie. Go figure.

eh, it'll play at a theater in LA. plus sundance is a fucking pain in the ass.

now, if they ended up doing the soundtrack live or something... that'd be a different story.

kitt kat
12-08-2009, 04:17 PM
That's exactly why I didn't go back this year. $$ + Snow + film pretension.

I just wanted an excuse to drink for a week.

suprefan
12-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Oh my god, like snow sucks or something, get over it.

TallGuyCM
12-08-2009, 09:42 PM
That's exactly why I didn't go back this year. $$ + Snow + film pretension.

I just wanted an excuse to drink for a week.

Well you seem to be pretty good at music pretension, why not try your hand at film pretension as well?

ThomThom
12-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Well you seem to be pretty good at music pretension, why not try your hand at film pretension as well?

Damn Chris, them's fightin' words

TallGuyCM
12-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Just sayin'.

kitt kat
12-08-2009, 11:05 PM

And you're a too-tall asshole who abuses his height. It's all relative.

TallGuyCM
12-08-2009, 11:31 PM
And you're a too-tall asshole who abuses his height. It's all relative.

Abuses it?

Still-ill
12-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Hahaha

PC-2 Violence
12-09-2009, 12:10 AM
And you're a too-tall asshole

http://iusedtohavehair.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/oh-no-you-didnt.jpg

TallGuyCM
12-09-2009, 01:02 PM
I think she's saying that I abuse my height by having tall in my board name or something, I dunno. Well, tall guy was what people called me in high school, and it just kinda stuck. It's as simple as that.

paulthomasanderson
12-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Still as fresh now as when it leaked. Gorgeous.

Devin the Dude
12-13-2009, 06:50 PM
pta - my favorite board member.

TallGuyCM
12-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Sondre Lerche covering "Bluish":

http://stereogum.com/mp3/Sondre%20Lerche%20-%20Bluish.mp3

MUSTACHEFACTORY
12-29-2009, 02:30 AM
Just bought fall be kind and it's badass. The first 2 songs are very very good. Hopefully they will show up this year in some form.

TallGuyCM
12-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Yeah, the first 2 songs are good but it kinda loses me toward the end.

paulthomasanderson
01-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Fuck Yes! New official video for "Brother Sport":

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MGQjyGT1-mc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MGQjyGT1-mc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

TallGuyCM
01-10-2010, 12:41 AM
Great video! I really need to get baked before I watch it next time.

pancakespancakes
01-10-2010, 01:49 AM
Hahahahahaha. Agreed.

BlackSwan
01-11-2010, 02:48 PM
This is amusing...

http://flavorwire.com/60736/how-to-fake-like-youve-listened-to-animal-collective

caco0283
01-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Avey Tare talks about Fall Be Kind and Oddsac

CSbFtxXnmuo

rage patton
01-14-2010, 10:42 AM
That Brothersport video was absolutely fantastic.

send me ctrpllrs
01-18-2010, 12:18 PM
New Panda Bear set available for download. It's up on Pitchfork. Listening now.

It seems to be almost all new songs, except for Daily Routine. He played a few of them at the ATP set as well. The track after Daily Routine is great upon first listen.

GeezrRckr
01-18-2010, 02:41 PM
just finished listening to that boot. pretty hard to get a good sense of the new jams, huh. esp with how noah puts things together.

(btw, i've stayed away from this thread as long as i could. really diggin' the love for AC here....carry on)

wmgaretjax
01-18-2010, 02:50 PM
i really enjoy it. excited to hear it take shape. word on the street is it'll be out this year.

GeezrRckr
01-18-2010, 02:50 PM
New Pantha du Prince song feat. Panda Bear here (http://www.mediafire.com/?gtlhz24fvkj).
this is great, chris....thx

TallGuyCM
01-18-2010, 03:08 PM
this is great, chris....thx

The song's on PDP's full-length LP that just leaked if you want the whole thing.

GeezrRckr
01-18-2010, 03:14 PM
i see that it's up again. DLing now. thanks.

wmgaretjax
01-26-2010, 11:21 AM
http://oddsac.com/

looks better than I expected. sounds great.

TallGuyCM
01-26-2010, 02:41 PM
So how is that gonna work, they have screenings in NY and Chi but they'll eventually release it in most major cities or what?

wmgaretjax
01-26-2010, 03:08 PM
i would assume so.

kitt kat
01-27-2010, 11:19 AM
yeah, i don't see any reason why they'd skip out on LA or SF.

liquidsnake28
01-27-2010, 03:02 PM
CSbFtxXnmuo

That's cool how he was influenced by Phil Lesh (he did write lots of underrated songs) but Box of Rain is definitely not underrated. I'm pretty sure every Grateful Dead fan considers it to be an all time classic and one of their best songs.

GeezrRckr
02-01-2010, 10:55 AM
LA peeps....keep March 22 open.

dorkfish
02-01-2010, 10:59 AM
what about SF folks?

dorkfish
02-01-2010, 11:04 AM
you do a live in person draft? you guys are hardcore.

GeezrRckr
02-01-2010, 11:12 AM
sort of. we have people from all over the country in our league so only the SF folks get together (which is 6 of us) and the rest log in. the draft is the best part (esp with the trash talkers in our league) so most everyone tries to log in for it. we used to all meet somewhere for it, but too much life has taken over within the group so that's not happened in a while.

thestripe
02-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Fuck Yes! New official video for "Brother Sport":

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MGQjyGT1-mc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MGQjyGT1-mc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

This is great.

wmgaretjax
02-11-2010, 07:03 PM
SF/LA tickets available via the website. got mine for the 830 screening on 3/25 in SF

perez and members of AC in attendance.

GeezrRckr
02-11-2010, 07:48 PM
so they did go with sundance. figured if any place could potentially pull of the quad sound it would be there. great, walking distance from me. see you there, wmg.

(btw, if anyone cares...it is likely josh will be doing a show in SF around that time as well. all i know right now; i owe him a callback)

wmgaretjax
02-11-2010, 08:04 PM
nice. keep up posted on that.

kitt kat
02-11-2010, 08:28 PM
SF/LA tickets available via the website. got mine for the 830 screening on 3/25 in SF

WOOOO GOING

dorkfish
02-11-2010, 09:25 PM

thanks. i went with 830, as well.

dorkfish
02-11-2010, 09:27 PM
(btw, if anyone cares...it is likely josh will be doing a show in SF around that time as well. all i know right now; i owe him a callback)
I heard that he's supposed to open for Panda for some of his Euro shows, but I haven't bothered to verify that.

TallGuyCM
02-11-2010, 11:01 PM
In for the 9pm LA show.

GeezrRckr
02-11-2010, 11:14 PM
I heard that he's supposed to open for Panda for some of his Euro shows, but I haven't bothered to verify that.

man, that would be really cool. i hope that's the case. i'll ask him tomorrow.

ryclopse
02-12-2010, 01:21 AM
see you at 9 LA

PotVsKtl
02-12-2010, 02:45 PM
I will be on Oahu. This is some straight bullshit.

wmgaretjax
02-12-2010, 02:48 PM
I will be on Oahu.

Cry me a river.

TallGuyCM
02-13-2010, 02:24 PM
In case anyone doesn't check the upcoming shows thread, Deakin's playing a solo show in LA at the Eagle Rock Center for the Arts the night before the ODDSAC screening here on 3/21. Tickets at ticketweb.

wmgaretjax
02-17-2010, 03:51 PM
" Animal Collective & Danny Perez: Transverse Temporal Gyrus...For the Guggenheim's 50th Anniversary, the band Animal Collective has collaborated with artist Danny Perez on a site-specific performance piece that will transform the museum's rotunda into a kinetic, psychedelic environment. Transverse Temporal Gyrus will feature original recorded music composed specifically for the work along with video projections, costumes, and props, rendering the band members and performers into intense, visual abstractions. During the evening, guests are invited to freely explore the space in order to fully immerse themselves in the environment created by Animal Collective and Danny Perez.

The event will happen at the Guggenheim on Thursday, March 4th. Tickets go on sale to museum members Thursday, February 18th at 10am. Tickets for nonmembers go on sale Friday, February 19th at 10am. "

GeezrRckr
02-17-2010, 03:58 PM
^anyone want to fly out for this?

kitt kat
02-17-2010, 04:37 PM
if i had money, i would. saving for sxsw/atp :(

send me ctrpllrs
02-17-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm very seriously thinking about it. My mom wanted me to fly out to Boston with her on the 3rd anyways, so I could probably just catch a flight into NYC in time for the event.

GeezrRckr
02-17-2010, 09:14 PM
so they lost to gaga in the two categories they were up for with the brit awards today. this will be great fodder.

Alchemy
02-18-2010, 12:30 AM
I'm going to try and get a ticket for the Guggenheim thing. Unless, like the Broken Social Scene sale, I sleep all morning and don't get a ticket...

EDIT: Oh wait! Nevermind, I'm not going.

dorkfish
02-18-2010, 12:38 AM
so they lost to gaga in the two categories they were up for with the brit awards today. this will be great fodder.
you should have bet them beforehand. then we could have gotten "Bad Romance (Animal Collective remix)"

GeezrRckr
02-23-2010, 11:33 AM
thought i'd share some of an em exchange w/brian today with you guys who might be going to the gugg show. sounds like it will be cool (although the budget issue is kinda funny/typical). please don't quote this as I think i will likely delete it in an hour or so as i didn't ask brian about posting it. thanks for being cool about that request. i just thought you guys might appreciate it.

wmgaretjax
02-23-2010, 11:51 AM
interesting. they should not pay a programer too much for it. i'd write the code for them for free in a heartbeat (as would a couple friends of mine). i have a bunch of stuff like that already as it is. it's easy to do in simple contexts.

GeezrRckr
02-23-2010, 12:00 PM
^check your PM.

wmgaretjax
02-23-2010, 12:18 PM
should have clarified. this is probably too soon for me too pull off with law school (with reasonable confidence), but i was hinting at the easiness of this task for someone that has done it before (even in the week there is before the event). however, I PMd you the email address of a friend who could get this done proper by that date no problem and would be eager to help.

GeezrRckr
03-01-2010, 03:52 PM
http://www.prefixmag.com/news/animal-collective-totally-famous-now-internet-disc/37854/

oh josh. it will be relentless.

dorkfish
03-01-2010, 03:54 PM
That's good stuff.

GeezrRckr
03-02-2010, 10:10 PM
hey guys, a little bit of disappointing news. no Deakin show around the Oddsac screening in SF. Josh said only shows in LA and Seattle this time around. he's easing himself back into it (which is a good thing, imo). he did say he "will be out there this year fer sure (solo show I mean)" and is going to be here for the screening.

TallGuyCM
03-02-2010, 10:12 PM

wmgaretjax
03-02-2010, 11:00 PM
has that seattle show been announced?

GeezrRckr
03-02-2010, 11:09 PM
uh oh.

TallGuyCM
03-02-2010, 11:10 PM
What?

GeezrRckr
03-02-2010, 11:11 PM
(me and my big mouth....sure it's not a big deal).

wmgaretjax
03-02-2010, 11:13 PM
i ask because that's my spring break and i planned to spend a few days up there. maybe i can coordinate...

GeezrRckr
03-02-2010, 11:17 PM
serendipity. i'll ask where.

GeezrRckr
03-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Project Vera

wmgaretjax
03-02-2010, 11:24 PM
nice. thanks.

GeezrRckr
03-05-2010, 10:38 AM
so, where's the reviews of the guggenheim deal? the pix look awesome.

wmgaretjax
03-05-2010, 11:40 AM
looks like the heavy multi-channel stuff was scrapped.

zenidogx
03-15-2010, 09:14 AM
i can't make it to the 7:30pm Deakin show. I have two tickets for sale. 20 bucks for the pair, obo.

TallGuyCM
03-23-2010, 01:22 AM
The ODDSAC screening tonight was just about what I expected it to be. Really fucking weird movie, I had thought about being intoxicated in one way or another for it and I'm really really glad I decided against it, it would have been a little much.

The new AC songs were decent, there were a few songs that stood out with Noah on vocals but overall the music wasn't really anything special.

Met Geologist and Deakin at the after party, really cool guys. Definitely check the film out if you're a fan of the band at all.

GeezrRckr
03-23-2010, 01:39 AM
hmmmm.....i think i'm still gonna get baked. glad you got to meet josh and brian. can't wait to see them in a couple days.

send me ctrpllrs
03-23-2010, 01:46 AM
Yeah, I felt about the same about it. Weirdest movie I have ever seen, but I expected that. I enjoyed the majority of the music though, I dig the noisier stuff of theirs and thought some parts were outstanding. The song near the end was fantastic. Thought about being on something as well and brought a shroom chocolate with me, very glad I decided not to take it. That would have been too much, though I do really want to watch it on shrooms at home.

Did anybody go to Deakin's show the night before? If so, how was it/what did he play?

Deakin is the only one of them that I haven't met, so we didn't stick around long afterward. I saw you there Chris, but it was as we were leaving so I didn't say hello.

bmack86
03-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I went to the first Deakin show. He only did his solo songs, and they were really good. Reminded me of Feels-era Animal Collective. It was him, a sampler, a mixer and a guitar. He sang and played over the tracks he built. About a 50 minute performance, 9 songs, he seemed to really enjoy himself.

wmgaretjax
03-23-2010, 10:51 AM
"It took its toll in terms of us just being exhausted. So I think all of us are trying to lay low just for a second... So I don't know, this could be it. I don't expect it to be, I should say, but you never know." - Panda Bear

bmack86
03-23-2010, 11:15 AM
I can imagine dealing with all the hype was pretty insane, and they were on tour pretty much nonstop.

wmgaretjax
03-23-2010, 11:16 AM
they shouldn't have toured that material so many times. i wonder if domino pressured them.

dorkfish
03-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Noah should take some lengthy family time off. Josh should fill in for him. Then in a couple years, Noah should come back to finally complete the foursome.

bmack86
03-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Yeah, it seemed really odd for them to do that. I bet by that last tour of the material it wasn't fun anymore. Except for maybe that ATP set. They looked like they were having a blast there.

wmgaretjax
03-23-2010, 11:20 AM
they looked jazzed at ATP, but they didn't look like they were having much fun when i saw them in portland before that.

GeezrRckr
03-23-2010, 12:37 PM
"It took its toll in terms of us just being exhausted. So I think all of us are trying to lay low just for a second... So I don't know, this could be it. I don't expect it to be, I should say, but you never know." - Panda Bear

i was wondering when someone was gonna post this. you guys should ask them about it at the screening on thurs (i've been told i'm not allowed to ask questions...ha). my text to brian about it hasn't been answered, but i know he is super busy right now so that doesn't mean anything.

i think the comment about noah taking an extended break is spot-on. i've heard many times about his dislike about performing live. that, and his growing family duties (and brian's too) are likely to result in an extended AC hiatus. let's just hope it's just that and they'll be back at it before too long.

TallGuyCM
03-23-2010, 09:10 PM
i was wondering when someone was gonna post this. you guys should ask them about it at the screening on thurs (i've been told i'm not allowed to ask questions...ha). my text to brian about it hasn't been answered, but i know he is super busy right now so that doesn't mean anything.

i think the comment about noah taking an extended break is spot-on. i've heard many times about his dislike about performing live. that, and his growing family duties (and brian's too) are likely to result in an extended AC hiatus. let's just hope it's just that and they'll be back at it before too long.

I actually asked Brian in person about that quote last night. And he said without a doubt they are NOT breaking up. That the quote got taken way out of context and what not.

So if you're lucky enough to meet someone from the band in SF, save your breath and use your time more wisely.

GeezrRckr
03-24-2010, 01:39 AM
figured as such. thanks for passing it on.

GeezrRckr
03-25-2010, 01:32 PM
so, who is going to Oddsac tonite at the Sundance? brad/jared, i'd enjoy the chance to meet you guys. maybe meet for a drink before? or after?

dorkfish
03-25-2010, 01:42 PM
sure, I'm still trying to decide if I'm BART-ing or driving.

wmgaretjax
03-25-2010, 01:53 PM
i'll be there. but the babysitter has us on a tight timeline, so i'll be able to say hey... but probably no drinks.

GeezrRckr
03-25-2010, 01:55 PM
gotcha. okay, brad, if you want to meet at my place for some beers/smoke, let me know (we can walk there from my house). or, we can meet at The Boom Boom Room for a drink before. just let me know. i'll PM you my number.

TallGuyCM
03-25-2010, 08:23 PM
gotcha. okay, brad, if you want to meet at my place for some beers/smoke, let me know (we can walk there from my house). or, we can meet at The Boom Boom Room for a drink before. just let me know. i'll PM you my number.

Hahahaha I would be hesitant to meet someone off the internet for the first time at a place called the "Boom Boom Room." ;)

wmgaretjax
03-25-2010, 11:43 PM
oddsac was pretty bad... and i totally love experimental cinema. there were some really good bits and moments, but as a whole the video was entirely unimpressive. there was some clear sweat equity at play, and you have to respect that... but it really didn't come together, generally in part and as a whole. some of the tunes sounded really cool though.

i would have been happier to have just rented it or downloaded it for a few bucks. no reason to watch it in a theater (whole thing is pretty low res) beyond a decent sound system.

not that i regretted going. especially since people in this city are so friendly that i was smoked out in line. twice.

TallGuyCM
03-26-2010, 01:11 AM
Oh yeah I lit Ariel Pink's cigarette and chatted with him for a bit outside of the ODDSAC show in LA the other night, that was cool.

GeezrRckr
03-26-2010, 09:31 AM
i have to agree, for the most part, with jared's assessment of Oddsac.

but, i went into it not really interested in, nor expecting much from the visuals. i've never been much of a Danny Perez fan (but he is a REALLY fun guy to party with!). however - even though it was too long and kind of out of place - i did enjoy the visuals in the ambient section with all the bursting "noise" stuff.

there were three AC songs that i really, really dug. the opener (which *wasn't* Josh, but Dave run through an octave filter...that was an embarassing moment to have given him props only to be told, "that was Dave, dummy"), the "vampire rowing" song (some tripalicious vocal melodies!) and then the "drums on rocks" song.

the afterparty was really fun. along with general catching up, i had a long discussion with brian about leaks and how AC are/have been dealing with it, etc. the story involves JN's "have one on me." if you're interested, ask me about it offline sometime.

too bad we didn't connect, jared. another time.

dorkfish
03-26-2010, 10:43 AM
I enjoyed it, I didn't love it, as per the general sentiments from those that saw it, last night. I thought that the three songs that Drew picked were amazing. The "vampire rowing" song was particularly well done, which is a bit of a bummer since they made it sound like the songs would never be performed live at future shows. The Q&A had some terrible audience questions. We were sitting relatively close to the "Would you name your child Turbo or Aladdin?" moron. Speaking of seats, thanks for the love view Drew. I forgot to mention that when you left your seat briefly before the movie started, they did come by to check stars and I just said "Got mine!" and they moseyed on down the aisle. Also, Bonnie Prince Billy on 4/9 was the show that I'd forgotten.

All in all, a fun time. Nice to meet those that I hadn't before.

Josh said that he's working on touring Deakin solo shows this summer, so SF might get one in July or so.

GeezrRckr
03-26-2010, 10:52 AM
yeah, the Q&A. here's the text i sent josh & brian during it.

"end this already, the questions are ghey! hey, can you get me a blue shirt...size L, plz"

then it ended, mercifully, right when i hit send.

wmgaretjax
03-26-2010, 10:58 AM
yeah Q&As are almost always bad. i took off right after. I agree about the tunes, excited for the DVD to release so some good rips surface.

i also made the mistake of thinking that was Josh's singing, so you weren't the only one.

i also haven't liked Danny Perez's stuff, but it worked wonderfully with Panda Bear live...

GeezrRckr
03-26-2010, 11:04 AM
yeah, that's what Danny is working on now (panda bear stuff). i'll try and get some intel on panda bear goings on tonite from josh. i guess i should have pumped danny when i had the chance last night. maybe i'll see him again tonite and get another chance. i want those new jams.

dorkfish
03-26-2010, 11:10 AM
they shouldn't have toured that material so many times. i wonder if domino pressured them.
I actually asked Dave about this last night, because it's been something that I've been curious about for the past couple of years. He said that Domino didn't pressure them, and they weren't trying to establish themselves more traditionally. Most of the reason that the MPP tours were so MPP focused instead of the typical progressing future album tours that we were used to is because of Oddsac. They were writing the new songs at the same rate as before, but most of the new song effort was going into creating Oddsac material, and the rest of the effort begat Fall Be Kind. So, I suspect that whatever tour they do next year will be a mix of New Album and Even Newer Album/EP like we're used to.

wmgaretjax
03-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Most of the reason that the MPP tours were so MPP focused instead of the typical progressing future album tours that we were used to is because of Oddsac.

Ah. This makes a lot of sense.

TallGuyCM
03-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Yeah, during the Q&A in L.A. I specifically asked the band whether there were any plans for the ODDSAC music to make it into the live setting, and Josh and Dave flat out said no.

shermanoaksyo
06-04-2010, 09:22 AM
CEh2dhkWiUA

really disturbing/great hipster runoff post today

GeezrRckr
06-04-2010, 09:33 AM
man, i sure wished you hadn't informed me about that blog. being made aware of that, and that there is also an "AnCo cover band," really isn't how i wanted to start my weekend.

douchey to the extreme.

GeezrRckr
06-08-2010, 03:30 PM
so, who is going to the Panda Bear show at the Fox? pre-sale tix on sale tomorrow at 10am.

guedita
06-08-2010, 03:35 PM
so, who is going to the Panda Bear show at the Fox? pre-sale tix on sale tomorrow at 10am.

I am going. What's the presale password?

GeezrRckr
06-08-2010, 03:37 PM
L-O-V-E

(without the hyphens, of course)

guedita
06-08-2010, 03:38 PM
I thought that was the Chemical Brothers password?

softbulletin
06-08-2010, 03:38 PM
You guys think more dates will be added?

I'm crossing my fingers for a Toronto show.

wmgaretjax
06-08-2010, 03:41 PM

dunno yet, but i am getting tickets.

GeezrRckr
06-08-2010, 03:44 PM
I thought that was the Chemical Brothers password?
according to the em i just got, it is the password for all the APE pre-sales happening manana.

GeezrRckr
06-24-2010, 07:55 PM
thought i'd let people in here know that Josh and Dave helped produce the new Prince Rama album. apparently they got involved late in the game and it's paid off. this is a really solid release and i think many/most of you will really enjoy it.

plus, some other AC news is forthcoming...hopefully soon.

suprefan
06-24-2010, 08:51 PM
http://altreport.hipsterrunoff.com/2010/06/grizzly-bear-attacks-out-at-ancos-geologist-puts-geo-in-hospital.html

bmack86
06-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Fuck hipster runoff.

RoughSteez
06-24-2010, 09:19 PM
What a horrible read.

wmgaretjax
06-25-2010, 12:53 PM
new video http://gorillavsbear.blogspot.com/2010/06/video-animal-collective-guys-eyes.html

TallGuyCM
06-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Cool video. I find it odd though that they're still making videos for songs from MPP.

GeezrRckr
06-26-2010, 11:46 PM
odd on both counts.

wmgaretjax
07-30-2010, 11:50 AM
solo avey album in october. awesome.

GeezrRckr
07-30-2010, 12:02 PM
dave is the man. i'm very excited about this.

pancakespancakes
07-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Hmmmm. What a nice surprise. One could speculate forever what this is going to sound like. I look forward to it!

TallGuyCM
07-30-2010, 12:14 PM
I really hope he just lets it all hang out and puts out the psychotic acid trip record he's capable of making that gets a big wtf response from most people.

GeezrRckr
07-30-2010, 12:17 PM
i have no doubt that's what he'll do!

thestripe
07-30-2010, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't expect anything less. Can't wait.

shermanoaksyo
07-30-2010, 08:45 PM
I hate Avey's hat

So are they breaking up? WWIW?S would be a hell of a way to go out

wmgaretjax
07-30-2010, 08:54 PM
I really hope he just lets it all hang out and puts out the psychotic acid trip record he's capable of making that gets a big wtf response from most people.

Everything else he's done besides Pullhair Rubeye that was solo/side project has been this.

send me ctrpllrs
07-30-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm really excited for this album. Awesome that we are getting an Avey Tare and a Panda Bear album this year. The description on Paw Tracks is awesome.

Down There is a world of nine new songs from Animal Collective's Avey Tare. His first official solo full length carries you through a murky world of sound, an alien death world of soul grooves that is both honest and otherworldly. Wait for sundown and turn it up loud. Take a ride on this haunted boat and let yourself be guided through deep sloshy rhythms, waterlogged bass, and moonlit breaks in the canopy that reveal a crisp crystalline pop buzz. Down There was recorded in the month of June by old friend Josh Dibb (Deakin) at the Good House, an old church in upstate New York, surrounded by The Great Swamp and visited regularly by monks, white widows, and groan toads.

thestripe
07-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Oh man.

TallGuyCM
07-31-2010, 04:13 PM
Everything else he's done besides Pullhair Rubeye that was solo/side project has been this.

I'm aware, but it's just natural to have doubts that'll happen again after the very polished and non-"psychotic acid trip" that was MPP.

Edit:

Avey Tare's Down There album art:

http://cdn.pitchfork.com/media/aveyart.jpg

GeezrRckr
08-09-2010, 11:13 AM
deleted. P4K are being dicks.

dorkfish
08-09-2010, 04:55 PM
i like animal collective

pancakespancakes
08-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Awwww what did I miss.

bmack86
08-09-2010, 11:08 PM
I was wondering the same thing.

GeezrRckr
08-09-2010, 11:39 PM
the DVD is being released tomorrow. there was the usual leak angst today, that's all.

all i can say is that i'm jacked to hear these jams on my 'phones!

send me ctrpllrs
08-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Got my DVD today in the mail. Anybody else get theirs?

Just finished watching it again. I intended to just watch a few minutes, but I got sucked in right away and watch it all. I liked it a lot more the second time seeing it. There is some really cool music in there and the visuals are awesome. The book with the pictures is nice too.

bmack86
08-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Mr. Fingers is a really cool track.

bmack86
08-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Yeah, so the Odd Sac songs remind me how much I like weird Animal Collective.

pancakespancakes
08-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Finally saw it last night. It was fun to watch. Some of the songs surprised me by how good they sounded. But it kinda put me to sleep...

GeezrRckr
09-22-2010, 09:19 AM

damn...well, you can watch it here (http://myanimalhome.net/).

very lovely.

GeezrRckr
09-23-2010, 06:30 PM
anyone going to Josh's show at New Parish on Monday?

dorkfish
09-23-2010, 07:05 PM
I don't have tickets, but I'm wanting to go. Not sure if I will, though, yet.

GeezrRckr
09-28-2010, 12:28 AM
enjoyed Josh's set tonite. i'll try my best to be objective about it.

he did 5 songs, 2 of which i really like and think can be released today. his stuff is very, very layered (as you would expect), lots of looping and reverb, wavering from being pretty damn dark to groovy. the sisters from Prince Rama played with him, which added a really nice twist (esp the live drums). speaking of, man their set was fun. they are really loose and creative and just super sweet kids.

the friend i went with, a pretty huge AC fan, also enjoyed it and said he heard a lot of the Oddsac-esque transitions in the set. oh, and i have to give props to Josh for designing a really cool shirt. i'm not one for artist-designed shirts typically, but this one is pretty sweet. bmack, if you end up going, please let us know your impressions. i'd love to hear what other AC fans think.

bmack86
09-28-2010, 12:33 AM
That's cool that he had people with him. When I saw him earlier this year it was just him solo, and he had a drum track in addition to all his loops and layers. I'm hoping to go, but it all depends on the amount of progress I make on this paper I'm working on.

GeezrRckr
09-28-2010, 12:36 AM
this week is gonna test your concentration skills to the max, eh. good luck with that.

wmgaretjax
09-28-2010, 08:44 AM
man... really wish I could have gone. such bad timing.

GeezrRckr
09-28-2010, 09:01 AM
yeah, that would have been a great gig to finally meet. oh well...a coastal redwood forest will just have to do.

GeezrRckr
10-04-2010, 03:24 PM
new Avey Tare song (http://downloads.pitchforkmedia.com/Avey%20Tare%20-%20Lucky%201.mp3).

really nice.

clumsy342
10-04-2010, 05:40 PM
i dig it! can't wait for the new album.

funny that Panda Bear is just being pushed back further and further, and then out of nowhere Avey Tare's album is being released like 2 months from the time it was announced.

thestripe
10-05-2010, 01:35 PM
I can't wait for the album.

GeezrRckr
10-14-2010, 11:18 AM

i really would like to listen to this, but the pretentious hipster-y affect the interviewer put on it renders it unlistenable to me. wtf...i can't imagine Dave would have signed off on this crap. can someone please tell me what he says about playing Down There live.