PDA

View Full Version : Jared, how was the LSAT?

bmack86
10-05-2008, 02:52 AM
I thought it went really well for me.

wmgaretjax
10-05-2008, 11:06 AM
I totally forgot there was an "experimental" test questions section, so I didn't expect to have to do 6 sections... I think it went well. The experimental section was a logic section (is it always? I have no clue) and if it's the one I think it was, I nailed every other section and should be golden. The first logic section tripped me up a little bit and had some weird questions, but I destroyed the next one and it felt more familiar, so I'm fairly sure the first was the one that doesn't count.

I'm gunnin for about 170, and I was able to cross that with most of my practice tests so I feel fairly confident, given that the test felt about in line with the others (except that extra section).

The one thing I'd never done was the sample writing, and it was painful doing that last because I finished it fairly quickly and had to just sit in my seat for an extra 15-20 minutes.

How about you? What schools are you looking at? I'm deciding largely based on cities I would like to live in (NY, Seattle, SF, or Boston) with good intellectual property programs, so I'm applying to University of Washington and Boston University for sure, and then Columbia and Berkeley if my scores are good.

Regardless, I left my house at about 6:15 in the morning and didn't get back until almost 4, a serious pain in the ass.

malcolmjamalawesome
10-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Hey! I took the LSAT a year ago! Whaddaya know?

bmack86
10-05-2008, 12:37 PM
I totally forgot there was an "experimental" test questions section, so I didn't expect to have to do 6 sections... I think it went well. The experimental section was a logic section (is it always? I have no clue) and if it's the one I think it was, I nailed every other section and should be golden. The first logic section tripped me up a little bit and had some weird questions, but I destroyed the next one and it felt more familiar, so I'm fairly sure the first was the one that doesn't count.

I'm gunnin for about 170, and I was able to cross that with most of my practice tests so I feel fairly confident, given that the test felt about in line with the others (except that extra section).

The one thing I'd never done was the sample writing, and it was painful doing that last because I finished it fairly quickly and had to just sit in my seat for an extra 15-20 minutes.

How about you? What schools are you looking at? I'm deciding largely based on cities I would like to live in (NY, Seattle, SF, or Boston) with good intellectual property programs, so I'm applying to University of Washington and Boston University for sure, and then Columbia and Berkeley if my scores are good.

Regardless, I left my house at about 6:15 in the morning and didn't get back until almost 4, a serious pain in the ass.

I'm probably going to go to Loyola Marymount. They're second tier, but their entertainment program is top 5. If I can get into UCLA, I'll be right back there. That was the whole reason I took this again, just to see if I could raise my score a little bit. This was the first time I studied at all for it, and I feel like that definitely made a difference.

If the logic section I'm thinking was the experimental one, then I think it went really, really well. I feel much more confident than last time.

CalmerThanYou
10-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Hey! I took the LSAT a year ago! Whaddaya know?

You're a lawyer? Whaddaya know

algunz
10-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Just 'cuz he took it, doesn't mean he's a lawyer. Just sayin.

Congratulations, gentlemen and best of luck!!

6 am-4 pm??!!! Yikes. That's one of the main reasons I decided not to go into law.

TomAz
10-06-2008, 09:09 AM
http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/SatanLawyer.jpg

TomAz
10-06-2008, 09:15 AM
http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Lawyerherds.jpg

RotationSlimWang
10-06-2008, 09:24 AM
I would house all of you on the LSATs. Just sayin'.

bmack86
10-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Someday...

wmgaretjax
10-23-2008, 06:38 PM
So will it be tomorrow Bryan? Nervous at all?

bmack86
10-23-2008, 06:50 PM
I'm feeling really good for some reason. I'm hoping it's not all false sense of security.

bmack86
10-23-2008, 06:51 PM
But, i thought scores went up on monday.

wmgaretjax
10-23-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I'm gonna drink a lot of scotch tonight and sleep in so that I don't sit at my email agonizing over it.

I was under the impression that they list Monday on LSAC just in case of disaster, but that traditionally scores go up on Friday.

bmack86
10-24-2008, 04:25 PM
YES. I raised my score 4 points. I'm mid level for UCLA now, and guaranteed for all my other schools I was looking at. That feels really really good.

Hannahrain
10-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Congratulations, Bryan.

bmack86
10-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks. I have something to celebrate tonight. I was going to celebrate the weekend, but now I have something else.

luckyface
10-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Good work man. Definitely go out and enjoy yourself.

thestripe
10-24-2008, 04:31 PM
That's great news Bmack, congratulations.

wmgaretjax
10-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Nice.... Mine still hasn't posted.... ugh...

Benis23
10-24-2008, 06:04 PM
How about the GMAT? I'm taking it in three weeks for the first time. Anyone have any advice?

bmack86
10-24-2008, 06:23 PM
my advice is do well.

wmgaretjax
10-24-2008, 06:26 PM
169... happy enough.

Benis23
10-24-2008, 06:48 PM
my advice is do well.

Damn, I should've thought of that.

wmgaretjax
10-24-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm kind of pissed now. I missed 80% of my questions in the first section (which was LR)... I must have been jumpy and once I got warmed up I was fine... Damn.

bballarl
10-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Well, you wanted 170 right? Close enough.

wmgaretjax
10-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Yeah. I'm happy. I'm good for my bottom two schools and hanging out in the middle (or just below) for the long shots.

I can't help but beat myself up over stupid shit though...

bballarl
10-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I am the same way with tests. But looking over stuff afterwards and actually taking the test are two different things. You did fine.

bmack86
10-24-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm happy with my score, but I'm pretty annoyed at myself. On the Logic Games section, from question 17 on I was one bubble off. I missed the space for 17 and went 18-24 instead. I was right on all but one, and I missed all but one because of the translation error. Stupid.

bartelby
10-24-2008, 07:47 PM
but what was your percentile? that's what law school's care about...

i had a brutal 59th percentile the first time i wrote it but managed to get into the 89th percentile for chance #2.....

law school SUCKED, but i actually enjoy being a lawyer these days....

wmgaretjax
10-24-2008, 10:05 PM
I got 97th percentile. The more I get away from my slight irritation, the happier I am with my score. Law school is kind of a last minute decision for me, and I should have prepped a little more for the test... I hope law school doesn't suck too bad, but if I can stick with the IP thing like I want to, I'm pretty confident I'll enjoy it.

Yeah Bryan, I was very happy with myself for the Logic Games, got 'em all. Missed only one in reading comprehension too... Really weird that I bombed the reasoning section, because on practice tests I normally only missed one or two.

bmack86
10-24-2008, 11:45 PM
92nd.

Courtney
10-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Congrats Bryan and Jared!

Benis, I am also sort of studying for the GMAT. I'm not sure if I actually ever want to go to business school, but it's something to keep me busy anyway. I am finding The Official Guide for GMAT Review book is pretty good. I am against enrolling in one of those $3500 Kaplan courses even though I used to teach the SAT/GRE ones. I just can't justify spending that much money on test prep.

wmgaretjax
10-25-2008, 11:37 AM
3500? holy shit...

Courtney
10-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Yeah, for the GMAT Kaplan's courses range from about $1500 for the basic classroom course up to $3500 for private tutoring. Crazy huh? Although maybe not that crazy considering that if you're in the banking or consulting industries, getting an MBA from a top tier school is pretty standard and almost guarantees a certain level of income after you graduate.

wmgaretjax
10-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah... I guess.... And here I thought 40 bucks for a book of sample tests and 150 for the test itself was bad...

york707
12-10-2008, 06:59 PM
YES. I raised my score 4 points. I'm mid level for UCLA now, and guaranteed for all my other schools I was looking at. That feels really really good.

Hey I just read this - congrats Bryan.

york707
12-10-2008, 07:01 PM
How about the GMAT? I'm taking it in three weeks for the first time. Anyone have any advice?

What are your strengths - Verbal or Math? Only study for the one you're not good at.

york707
12-10-2008, 07:07 PM
I got 97th percentile. The more I get away from my slight irritation, the happier I am with my score. Law school is kind of a last minute decision for me, and I should have prepped a little more for the test... I hope law school doesn't suck too bad, but if I can stick with the IP thing like I want to, I'm pretty confident I'll enjoy it.

Yeah Bryan, I was very happy with myself for the Logic Games, got 'em all. Missed only one in reading comprehension too... Really weird that I bombed the reasoning section, because on practice tests I normally only missed one or two.

jared - what's your undergrad degree in? If you want to go into patent law, it doesn't really matter how good of a school you go to if you don't have an engineering/science undergrad. Copyright's different.