PDA

View Full Version : so....Texas?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2008, 05:44 PM
So my wife decided to go back to school for nursing and try and work part time while she is doing it. It hasn't work out so well for a few reasons. 1. We have lost alot of income with her going part time and are struggling. 2. nursing school is wicked hard and will only get harder as you go along. meaning unless I start making bank we are effed (so she has to go back to being a nanny).
so we looked at a few options and Texas came up...for some reason housing is freaking cheap there...my house would be 85k less in Texas for some reason. That and the company I work for how LOTS of job opportunities down there.
SOOOO...we have started talking about moving to Texas while she goes to school. We would be able to live very comfy....Thoughts on Texas? It would be in Houston. I would prefer Austin but no jobs for me there yet....that and the Texas economy is quite healthy...

so in the end.
Is Houston crappy?
How is their public transport?
Why is housing so cheap?
Good music venues?

TommyboyUNM
09-25-2008, 05:47 PM
So my wife decided to go back to school for nursing and try and work part time while she is doing it. It hasn't work out so well for a few reasons. 1. We have lost alot of income with her going part time and are struggling. 2. nursing school is wicked hard and will only get harder as you go along. meaning unless I start making bank we are effed (so she has to go back to being a nanny).
so we looked at a few options and Texas came up...for some reason housing is freaking cheap there...my house would be 85k less in Texas for some reason. That and the company I work for how LOTS of job opportunities down there.
SOOOO...we have started talking about moving to Texas while she goes to school. We would be able to live very comfy....Thoughts on Texas? It would be in Houston. I would prefer Austin but no jobs for me there yet....that and the Texas economy is quite healthy...

so in the end.
Is Houston crappy?
Why is housing so cheap?
Good music venues?

Dude I'm looking into moving to Austin right now, but haven't found a job yet. The cost of living in Austin is pretty good....well compare to I live. It's almost the same. I hear Houston is crappy, yes. I'm sure you'll get real answers, but I'm looking into this as well.

JustSteve
09-25-2008, 05:48 PM
i have visited texas many times...i could never see myself living there. houston, if i recall, is hot and humid as hell in the summer, not sure what winter's are like.

oh yeah: hurricanes

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Dude I'm looking into moving to Austin right now, but haven't found a job yet. The cost of living in Austin is pretty good....well compare to I live. It's almost the same. I hear Houston is crappy, yes. I'm sure you'll get real answers, but I'm looking into this as well.

Texas is freakishly cheap. Outside of the late of state taxes everything seems to be cheaper:housing, food, etc.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2008, 05:49 PM
i have visited texas many times...i could never see myself living there. houston, if i recall, is hot and humid as hell in the summer, not sure what winter's are like.

Hot is not a problem since I was born and raised in Las Vegas. Humidity could be a problem. But I would imagine winter's would be mild no?

Mr. Dylanja
09-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Steers and Queers Marco, steers and queers...

JustSteve
09-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Hot is not a problem since I was born and raised in Las Vegas. Humidity could be a problem. But I would imagine winter's would be mild no?

they have what locals call 90/90 days during summer. 90 degrees and 90% humidity.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2008, 05:53 PM

Que?

Mr. Dylanja
09-25-2008, 05:54 PM
That's all you'll find in Texas...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2008, 05:55 PM
That's all you'll find in Texas...

Well....TX DOES have ACL...and Radiohead did 2 shows there this year...can't be that bad can it?

Mr. Dylanja
09-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Those are valid points. I've had a couple friends move to San Antonio who both said they like it better than PHX. I've driven thru the panhandle and it sucked ass!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2008, 06:01 PM
I hear the tumble weeds are fantastic in the pan handle....I have never been to Texas, so I have no idea..

BROKENDOLL
09-25-2008, 06:06 PM

so in the end.
Is Houston crappy?
Why is housing so cheap?
Good music venues? Let me make this simple...Hurricane Ike...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2008, 06:06 PM
And California has Earthquakes but that doesn't stop anyone from living there....

Wheres the beef?
09-25-2008, 06:09 PM
And the traffic in the Dallas-Ft.Worth metroplex is fucking awful.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2008, 06:11 PM
isn't there a light rail in Dallas? The DART?

TomAz
09-25-2008, 06:20 PM
i lived in houston from 1979-1996. age 17 to 34. I go back there from time to time. so my knowledge is old, take it for what it's worth.

when i lived in houston my take was "it's a nice place to live, but i wouldn't want to visit there." no cable cars, no empire state building.

Is Houston crappy?

it has its good places and bad places

depends on what you are looking for. in the 80s and 90s houston made a decision to emphasize bus transport and HOV lanes. Park N Ride from the suburbs to downtown. if you live in the burbs and work downtown, it works. I know people, successful professionals, who do it today. but if you're looking to get from A to B like in manhattan, forget it.

Why is housing so cheap?

overbuilding, sprawling suburbia, and supply and demand.

Good music venues?

I used to go to a show a week in houston. it's a big city so they get the national tours. also, austin bands expand their market base by playing houston and dallas.

also: houston is far more multicultural than dallas and probably even more than austin. houston seems more comfortable (or at least did when i was there) with its hispanic heritage than most other places other than san antonio and around the border. there's a large and, now, accepted african american community. lots of taiwanese and also especially vietnamese, they came over in the 70s and settled in houston cuz the climate is similarly miserable. and if you seek it out there's a lot of good cajun food and music to be had -- and not the sterilized suburban stuff either. at least not all of it if you know where to look. and despite the hick reputation, houston has (or at least used to have) one of the largest gay populations in the nations. steers and queers indeed.

the cheap real estate you are finding is almost certainly in the far suburbs, which tend to be white, redneck, and mega-churched, though not 100% so. closer in, like in the Heights, you'll get much more diversity.

in the city there's a decent arts community (3 decent art museums, a thriving symphony and ballet, and respected theater). it's not new york, or even san francisco, but it's not tulsa either.

food in houston is great. better than dallas and austin. just more different stuff available that's good. again, not ny or sf, but not too far below that.

the newspaper is not bad.

i left in 96 for a career opportunity, and the stuff i've listed above is the stuff i miss. I don't miss the weather -- arizona is much more pleasant in that regard, even in summer. there's a sizable and influential fundamentalist crowd in houston (the megachurch may have been invented there). there are a lot of conservatives spouting ridiculous shit. texas still leads the nation in executions, it's not even close. and there are aggies, the worst scurge ever laid upon humankind.

all in all it is what you make of it. there's stuff there to do, though, if you're interested.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2008, 06:27 PM
God bless papa Tom.

Funny enough...I though the same thing in terms of the far flung sub burbs but it ISN'T the case...I alot of brand new cheap housing in the Houston city limits...the cultural scene sounds on bar with what I have found in Denver though...would suck to love such a killer venue though (Red Rocks)...can anyone vouch for the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion?

suprefan
09-25-2008, 06:33 PM
MArco, we went to see Radiohead there. It is really nice, but you better always get seats. Pit was tiny as hell and seating section is very small also, we had 4th row tickets and it actually was the second row. The Woodlands was the only part of Texas that I saw that felt like it wasnt Texas. It was nice and clean and almost felt like Orange Country for 5 minutes. Austin seems ot be the spot. Houston did just get its clock cleaned by a hurricane if you dont recall a week ago. Me and Sasha stayed at my friends house which was in The Heights, it was an ok neighborhood. It was freaking hot and sticky there the whole time. Dallas is a hole thats for sure. There are a few venues in Houston and most bands do hit the area on tour. They just did get a house of blues actually. Radiohead plays there once every blue moon, they hadnt played in Dallas in over 10 years, Houston 5 years. so you will be travelign a bit. dont forget New Orleans isnt far, so going there for things woudl be cool if you made a weekend out of it. voodoo and new orleans jazz festival would be ideal. Yeah and you got ACL and South By Southwest too every year. you better visit the place before you really decide to move man.

TomAz
09-25-2008, 06:33 PM
dont' be deceived by 'houston city limits'.. the city of houston sprawls and parts of the far suburbs are technically in the city limits.

the woodlands (CWM Pavillion) is ok. typical outdoor setup with covered seats and then a lawn. it certainly doesn't have red rocks' dramatic setting.

gaypalmsprings
09-25-2008, 06:34 PM
texas so sucks - oh yeah, I used to own a restaurant in texas......and my ex is from texas

gaypalmsprings
09-25-2008, 06:35 PM
You may want to read TWIT Magazine: http://www.thisweekintexas.com/

Backwater
09-25-2008, 06:37 PM
And California has Earthquakes but that doesn't stop anyone from living there....

I really hope you're kidding. Yeah, these treacherous earthquakes threaten our lives all of the time.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2008, 06:38 PM
MArco, we went to see Radiohead there. It is really nice, but you better always get seats. Pit was tiny as hell and seating section is very small also, we had 4th row tickets and it actually was the second row. The Woodlands was the only part of Texas that I saw that felt like it wasnt Texas. It was nice and clean and almost felt like Orange Country for 5 minutes. Austin seems ot be the spot. Houston did just get its clock cleaned by a hurricane if you dont recall a week ago. Me and Sasha stayed at my friends house which was in The Heights, it was an ok neighborhood. It was freaking hot and sticky there the whole time. Dallas is a hole thats for sure. There are a few venues in Houston and most bands do hit the area on tour. They just did get a house of blues actually. Radiohead plays there once every blue moon, they hadnt played in Dallas in over 10 years, Houston 5 years. so you will be travelign a bit. dont forget New Orleans isnt far, so going there for things woudl be cool if you made a weekend out of it. voodoo and new orleans jazz festival would be ideal. Yeah and you got ACL and South By Southwest too every year. you better visit the place before you really decide to move man.

oh for sure. The wife was against it at first for the stigma of the "Texas Religious Conservative" type folks. But if this DOES happen we are going to fly down to look into it...the humid climate might be the clincher for her...BUT it might come down to simply economics...and if the economy doesn't collaspe of course...I really DON'T want to move but if it works out then it might have to happen. How was that Woodlands venue though?

and yes yes yes yes I remember the hurricane but it didn't destroy the entire city people...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2008, 06:40 PM
dont' be deceived by 'houston city limits'.. the city of houston sprawls and parts of the far suburbs are technically in the city limits.

the woodlands (CWM Pavillion) is ok. typical outdoor setup with covered seats and then a lawn. it certainly doesn't have red rocks' dramatic setting.

As long as I have access to a park n ride I'll be fine...the lack of RR sucks though...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2008, 06:40 PM
texas so sucks - oh yeah, I used to own a restaurant in texas......and my ex is from texas

ouch...that is pretty gay.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2008, 06:41 PM
I really hope you're kidding. Yeah, these treacherous earthquakes threaten our lives all of the time.

Que?

Backwater
09-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Hurricanes in the south are so much more common, dangerous and destructive than earthquakes in ca. Absolutely no comparison.

gaypalmsprings
09-25-2008, 06:45 PM
The KKK (http://www.kkk.bz/) headquarters is in Texas - near Houston.

Ku Klux Klan DOES NOT Endorse Barack Obama for President

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Texas averaged 4 strikes a decade when it comes to hurricanes...not too bad...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2008, 06:46 PM
The KKK headquarters is in Texas - near Houston.

goddamnit...

Mr. Dylanja
09-25-2008, 06:47 PM

Do you do the karaoke song?

Backwater
09-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Yeah but hurricanes are a whole lot fucking worse. There is usually no damage at all from earthquakes. Like the one that just happened, couldn't even feel the damn thing. Watch now karma will get me and I'll die in an earthquake.

gaypalmsprings
09-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Do you do the karaoke song?

only tex-mex style

suprefan
09-25-2008, 06:49 PM
. How was that Woodlands venue though?

Umm I mentioned it, I said.

It is really nice, but you better always get seats. Pit was tiny as hell and seating section is very small also, we had 4th row tickets and it actually was the second row. There is free parking too so thats nice.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Yeah but hurricanes are a whole lot fucking worse. There is usually no damage at all from earthquakes. Like the one that just happened, couldn't even feel the damn thing. Watch now karma will get me and I'll die in an earthquake.

I think we need to measure this as Stong Earthquakes/Hurricanes and weak ones. Ike wasn't that bad. most earthquakes are tiny. The last major hurricane to hit Texas was Alicia back in 1983. When was the last major Earthquake?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Umm I mentioned it, I said.

how the fuck did I miss that?

Backwater
09-25-2008, 06:56 PM
I think we need to measure this as Stong Earthquakes/Hurricanes and weak ones. Ike wasn't that bad. most earthquakes are tiny. The last major hurricane to hit Texas was Alicia back in 1983. When was the last major Earthquake?

I guess TX doesn't get as many but living in LA and FL is much, much more dangerous than living in CA as far as natural disasters go.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2008, 07:03 PM
FL for sure....

TomAz
09-25-2008, 07:03 PM

I rode out Alicia in 83. because it was a surprise. but it really was something to see the sun come out when the eye passed over.

it fucked things up for a few weeks but that's about it. we were without power for about 72 hours. lost our cat but then found him. all the food in the fridge spoiled. the beer was warm.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2008, 07:04 PM
I rode out Alicia in 83. because it was a surprise. but it really was something to see the sun come out when the eye passed over.

it fucked things up for a few weeks but that's about it. we were without power for about 72 hours. lost our cat but then found him. all the food in the fridge spoiled. the beer was warm.

See? And that was a Cat 3.

TomAz
09-25-2008, 07:06 PM
it was a cat 3 but much smaller (more compact) than ike. and not so much surge so galveston did much better.

I did get out of work for a few days, that was cool.

TonyWonder
09-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Have you checked out the Fort Worth area? I've lived all over the state and it's the only large city in Texas other than Austin that I would recommend. Very nice downtown, affordable, decent traffic, excellent arts district and close to a lot of music and entertainment venues in Arlington and Dallas. No hurricanes or earthquakes, but there is a regular threat of tornadoes and major hail storms.

TomAz
09-25-2008, 07:21 PM
I guess this is as good a place as any to tell my Alicia story.

We (gf, now wife, & I) were living in an apartment in relatively cental houston. (near Richmond & Montrose). alicia had been brewing a few days and we'd all been tracking it. it was a wednesday night, we went to bed thinking it was going to hit matagorda, 100 miles south, and that was that. woke up at 2 am to horrible thunderstorms. turned on the TV and saw that it had made a turn north and was going to make landfall in galveston fairly soon. Right then -- BOOM -- lightning bolt and the power went out. went back to bed and listened to the storm and tried to sleep some more. at 7 am it was light out and it was like the worst part of a thunderstorm, except the wind was blowing a lot harder and it never let up. it just kept going and going. I think about 830 am or so the eye passed, and the sun came out and birds were chirping. then 10ish the back wall hit and we were back in the middle of the storm. more shit. finally by noon or so the wind had died down and it was just raining. went out and looked around, trees down in the neighborhood. got this brilliant idea to get in the car and drive around. there was a huge tree stretched all the way across Montrose (2 lanes each way plus a center turn lane). traffic lights down. all power out. a bunch of us out in our cars like, what the fuck?

anyway we were thinking it was just a bad storm. drove to work and found it abandoned. was told to go home til monday. my building was shattered (100% glass exterior). downtown was closed because of all the glass. so we had the day off. and no a/c and no tv and nothign to do.

there's this mexican restaurant on Richmond called Chapultapec that was open running on ice and propane. we went there and ate. then we went back later and ate again. it was the only place open.

at some point we went over to Highway 59 which runs below ground level through much of that neighborhood. it had 6 feet of water all the way across the freeway. closed and impassable.

late thursday the Texas august sun was out in full force. with lots of standing water. no a/c. lots of mosquitos. we tried to sleep that night with the window open. the cat got loose and got lost. i found him later hiding under a bush in a neighboring building.

i think it was friday night we had heard power was back on it parts of the city and so we went looking for a room with a/c. found one by the astrodome. it was good to get cool. but it was a hooker motel (though mostly occupied by hurricane people like us). I do think I spent the 75 cents to get the bed to vibrate, just for a laugh.

by sunday we still had no power and it was still hot as fuck. all the areas around us though had power so I called HL&P and yelled at them and we had power back within an hour. I don't necessarily claim cause and effect, however.

I had friends a few miles away who were without phones for a month. we never lost phones once though.

the end.

TomAz
09-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Have you checked out the Fort Worth area? I've lived all over the state and it's the only large city in Texas other than Austin that I would recommend. Very nice downtown, affordable, decent traffic, excellent arts district and close to a lot of music and entertainment venues in Arlington and Dallas. No hurricanes or earthquakes, but there is a regular threat of tornadoes and major hail storms.

Ft Worth is a shit hole. S H I T hole. cowshit, at that.

humanoid
09-25-2008, 07:33 PM

Texas is now having hurricanes on a regular basis, in California we only have earthquakes you can actually feel every few years...95% of them go completely unnoticed

my experiences of Texas were hell, also I had 2 different friends move there and both moved back within a year

The heat is WAAAAYYY different than the heat in Vegas

Backwater
09-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Texas is now having hurricanes on a regular basis, in California we only have earthquakes you can actually feel every few years...95% of them go completely unnoticed

Thank you. Also, the one's we can feel don't do 1/100th the damage of hurricanes.

TonyWonder
09-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Ft Worth is a shit hole. S H I T hole. cowshit, at that.

That's a given..Texas is shit hole. I hate it here.

If you MUST live in Texas, live in Austin or maybe Fort Worth.

Houston is hell on Earth.

humanoid
09-25-2008, 07:37 PM
/\ Austin was very cool...but Houston, El Paso and Dallas all sucked pretty badly

humanoid
09-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Thank you. Also, the one's we can feel don't do 1/100th the damage of hurricanes.

I have friends and relatives out of state that have asked me on numerous occasions, "how do you guys deal with earthquakes? aren't they devastating?"

its hilarious, because I've been born and raised here, and we never even think about them really

algunz
09-25-2008, 08:52 PM
I've driven through Texas many times . . . sux.

Stayed in Houston on Elvis' birthday. That was weird night.

Austin is super cool, but it's still Texas.

What was the town that had the "Prada" shop? That was in Texas, right? Was it Courtney's favorite town? Hannah's? Somebody on here loved it.

bmack86
09-25-2008, 09:01 PM
So my commentary:
first, Humanoid, SOUTHERN California only has one that you can feel every few years. There's quite a bit more to California, and the area around the Sierra fault is insanely active. My parents get a few large ones a year.

Still, an earthquake is, to me, much preferable to a hurricane anytime. Reason being: an earthquake isn't going to dramatically affect my weather and lifestyle for an exaggeratedly long time unless it's huge. Even a minor hurricane is going to bring a storm and added humidity. A big earthquake lasts at most a minute. A big hurricane fucks up the day for at least a week.

On the plus, you can know when a hurricane is coming.

BROKENDOLL
09-25-2008, 09:13 PM
And California has Earthquakes but that doesn't stop anyone from living there.... Yah, but we don't call it "Shake Rattle n' Roll Country..." Those folks basically know they're living in "Hurricane Alley. Then again, Californians are a unique breed of peeps...

Steers and Queers Marco, steers and queers... Oh, Noooo! And, don't forget "Bo-Hunk-Yee-Haws!!!"

Backwater
09-25-2008, 09:15 PM
I have friends and relatives out of state that have asked me on numerous occasions, "how do you guys deal with earthquakes? aren't they devastating?"

its hilarious, because I've been born and raised here, and we never even think about them really

How do we deal with them? All the constant rumbling, shaking and buildings falling on our heads. It's really tragic. It gets old. I just want the ground to be stable once for more than minuntes at a time.

Pixiessp
09-25-2008, 10:58 PM
I got my car broken into twice in Houston in a gated community.
I liked Westheimer and Montrose.

paulb
09-26-2008, 12:03 AM
i wish you the best Marco.

TomAz
09-26-2008, 02:58 AM
Texas is now having hurricanes on a regular basis,

I was about to say this is one of the dumbest statements in recent memory on this message board until i read this

If you MUST live in Texas, live in Austin or maybe Fort Worth.

Austin is nice, but Ft Worth is horrible. If Texas is the asshole of America, then Ft Worth is the pimple on the asshole. It's an ugly city filled with ugly stupid people. Everything people hate about texas... hat and boot wearing right wing fundamentalist cowboys drinking shitty beer and singing shitty commercial crap... is what they love in Ft Worth.

TonyWonder
09-26-2008, 04:09 AM
I was about to say this is one of the dumbest statements in recent memory on this message board until i read this

Austin is nice, but Ft Worth is horrible. If Texas is the asshole of America, then Ft Worth is the pimple on the asshole. It's an ugly city filled with ugly stupid people. Everything people hate about texas... hat and boot wearing right wing fundamentalist cowboys drinking shitty beer and singing shitty commercial crap... is what they love in Ft Worth.

Please...Houston is sooooooooo much worse in so many ways than Dallas-Fort Worth. The entire state is filled with stupid people and fundamentalist idiots.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-26-2008, 08:53 AM

my experiences of Texas were hell, also I had 2 different friends move there and both moved back within a year

The heat is WAAAAYYY different than the heat in Vegas

again there are differences in terms of strong hurricanes and weak ones. I have been through a few weak typhoons when I lived in Japan. lots of wind and rain but nothing major. Funny, enough lots of small earthquakes too when I was there.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-26-2008, 08:54 AM
What about San Antonio?

JustSteve
09-26-2008, 09:34 AM
On the plus, you can know when a hurricane is coming.

i actually prefer quakes because you don't know they are coming. the lead up to a hurricane would be a mess, having to decide if/when to leave, if to board up, etc. f that mess.

humanoid
09-26-2008, 09:37 AM

I didn't exactly finish my thought, I'll give you that...but as if you truly believe that one of the dumbest things you've read on here recently, then you don't actually read many posts on this board

vinylmartyr
09-26-2008, 10:03 AM
I been through Texas like 10 times. East Texas was ok. West Texas was terrible. I spent like a week in Houston. It was ok. Have you considered North Hollywood California?

BROKENDOLL
09-26-2008, 10:06 AM

Austin is nice, but Ft Worth is horrible. If Texas is the asshole of America, then Ft Worth is the pimple on the asshole. It's an ugly city filled with ugly stupid people. Everything people hate about texas... hat and boot wearing right wing fundamentalist cowboys drinking shitty beer and singing shitty commercial crap... is what they love in Ft Worth. Gal'darned Bo-Hunk-Yee-haws, I tell you! And, ply 'em with some o' that there whiskey and y'all got yer selves a gal-danged line dance in the makin'!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-26-2008, 10:07 AM
I been through Texas like 10 times. East Texas was ok. West Texas was terrible. I spent like a week in Houston. It was ok. Have you considered North Hollywood California?

how expensive in N Hollywood? look for costs here...

vinylmartyr
09-26-2008, 10:24 AM
I was just kidding. Seriously though I really have no idea. Probably not anywhere as cheap as Texas. But if you like shows LA is the place to be.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Believe me...California would be my 1st choice if it wasn't about cost....

captncrzy
09-26-2008, 12:43 PM
I'd eat my own doody before I moved to Texas.

bmack86
09-26-2008, 01:48 PM
I hear rent in Compton is real cheap right now.

suprefan
09-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Marco, you really wanna move to houston? This page says it all...

http://www.holytaco.com/2008/09/23/worlds-most-disgusting-apartment-is-in-houston/

Backwater
09-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Believe me...California would be my 1st choice if it wasn't about cost....

Long Beach is reasonable.

TomAz
09-26-2008, 09:18 PM
there are a lot of bigots on this board.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-27-2008, 07:32 AM
Long Beach is reasonable.

Average rent in that area is more then my mortgage....just sayin'

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-27-2008, 11:24 AM
So I started looking at a few other places...the suburbs around Chicago are reasonable...Virgina around DC...and Hotlanta....we have positions open in Phoenix but.....meh....I don't want to live in the desert again...

Backwater
09-27-2008, 11:28 AM
I'd suggest Chicago.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-27-2008, 11:30 AM
not IN Chicago but living in the burbs and working in the city...I imagine the wages there are higher then Denver no?

TickleMeElmo
09-27-2008, 12:18 PM
What about San Antonio?

Seconded.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Seconded.

is this a yes, no, maybe?

BROKENDOLL
09-27-2008, 01:46 PM
I'd eat my own doody before I moved to Texas. You'ld have to in order to fit in with those Bo-Hunk-Yee-Haws. Then y'all be sayin' "Howdy Doody" before you know it!

BROKENDOLL
09-27-2008, 01:46 PM
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p311/starpowerdar/cowboy%20cowgirl/ad27d04e.jpg

rage patton
09-27-2008, 01:59 PM

You ain't got no horns, boy.

TickleMeElmo
09-27-2008, 03:12 PM
is this a yes, no, maybe?

It's more of a "I had the same question."

TomAz
09-27-2008, 07:52 PM
San Antonio is Texas' Cleveland.

Brokendoll doesn't like Texas. that's reason enough for all of us to move there immediately.

miscorrections
09-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Austin.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-28-2008, 04:23 PM
San Antonio is Texas' Cleveland.

is that a bad thing or a good thing?

Apathetic00
09-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Yawn.....

Wow, I don't believe a state has been so misrepresented or misunderstood until I read these past messages.

Listen, I actually LIVE HERE. Austin to be precise and my g/f used to live in Houston. My parents have rent houses in Dallas and have friends that live in Dallas as well.
I'll be kind enough to give you the run down on everything...or at least do a better job than Brokendoll.

Okay, yes Austin would be the preferable choice to live...probably the closest thing to Cali considering it was built on their $$. Wonderful place and everything you have heard is true. The music, people, and venues are top notch and everything is very green around here.

But considering you can't live here (Austin is also the most expensive city to live in here). I'll try and give you a run down on the rest of the state.

West Texas/El Paso - Do Not Move there for any reason. Nothing to do and more trouble than its worth. Nuff said.

Dallas/Ft.Worth area - Okay, you have a mix of people there but yes...you will have more cowboy hat wearing/religious freaks out there(ft.worth). Its a good place to visit and most of the above is really in Ft.Worth than anywhere else. Dallas is a decent city and they do get many national tours and a good amount of DJ talent as well.
They have a good night life and shit doesn't end at 3:00 like it does in Austin. The people here are quick but not rude and are actually pretty helpful. Plus lots of jobs as well.

Houston - My g/f lived there for a while and its a pretty nice city, if you have the money to afford it. Other wise not so much. The people there are always in a rush and rude as well if you don't keep with the pace.
Great scene for arts, music, shopping, and food like a previous poster said before.

The heat is bearable and don't believe the b.s. about heat being different. Unless you are a pussy, heat is fucking heat. More humidity because you're near the gulf but not horrible.
And the burbs are not near as bad as people make it out to be, actually pretty nice plus you have the Woodlands. Also plenty of HOV and highways to choose from, no rail but you'll live. Best choice I believe.

San Antonio - Bigger city than you would imagine and growing. Its like a combo of Dallas, Houston, and El-paso...not bad but not great either. So-so.
You have some decent major venues but nothing outstanding. Plus I really don't get a good feel for the people. Either too flashy/gaudy or too ghetto for my tastes.

Texas has many good points and flaws like any state but we get a LOT of flak from what people have seen or heard from movies or idiots. And no sorry to spoil this for you but I don't believe I have ever seen a SINGLE tumbleweed here. Plus our state is very green thank you...except Dallas. Concrete jungle.

Hope some of this helps.

MissingPerson
09-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Hey, The Woodlands has a song about it (http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=tqwHHQZT9RE).

More specifically, about getting the fuck away from it. Still counts though.

suprefan
09-28-2008, 08:01 PM
is that a bad thing or a good thing?

Thats a bad thing...

Some crack addict asked Sasha if he had some ''smack'', at 7am in front of Mc Donalds!

humanoid
09-28-2008, 08:08 PM
I would think a crack addict would be asking for crack

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-29-2008, 07:06 AM
Yawn.....

Wow, I don't believe a state has been so misrepresented or misunderstood until I read these past messages.

Listen, I actually LIVE HERE. Austin to be precise and my g/f used to live in Houston. My parents have rent houses in Dallas and have friends that live in Dallas as well.
I'll be kind enough to give you the run down on everything...or at least do a better job than Brokendoll.

Okay, yes Austin would be the preferable choice to live...probably the closest thing to Cali considering it was built on their $$. Wonderful place and everything you have heard is true. The music, people, and venues are top notch and everything is very green around here.

But considering you can't live here (Austin is also the most expensive city to live in here). I'll try and give you a run down on the rest of the state.

West Texas/El Paso - Do Not Move there for any reason. Nothing to do and more trouble than its worth. Nuff said.

Dallas/Ft.Worth area - Okay, you have a mix of people there but yes...you will have more cowboy hat wearing/religious freaks out there(ft.worth). Its a good place to visit and most of the above is really in Ft.Worth than anywhere else. Dallas is a decent city and they do get many national tours and a good amount of DJ talent as well.
They have a good night life and shit doesn't end at 3:00 like it does in Austin. The people here are quick but not rude and are actually pretty helpful. Plus lots of jobs as well.

Houston - My g/f lived there for a while and its a pretty nice city, if you have the money to afford it. Other wise not so much. The people there are always in a rush and rude as well if you don't keep with the pace.
Great scene for arts, music, shopping, and food like a previous poster said before.

The heat is bearable and don't believe the b.s. about heat being different. Unless you are a pussy, heat is fucking heat. More humidity because you're near the gulf but not horrible.
And the burbs are not near as bad as people make it out to be, actually pretty nice plus you have the Woodlands. Also plenty of HOV and highways to choose from, no rail but you'll live. Best choice I believe.

San Antonio - Bigger city than you would imagine and growing. Its like a combo of Dallas, Houston, and El-paso...not bad but not great either. So-so.
You have some decent major venues but nothing outstanding. Plus I really don't get a good feel for the people. Either too flashy/gaudy or too ghetto for my tastes.

Texas has many good points and flaws like any state but we get a LOT of flak from what people have seen or heard from movies or idiots. And no sorry to spoil this for you but I don't believe I have ever seen a SINGLE tumbleweed here. Plus our state is very green thank you...except Dallas. Concrete jungle.

Hope some of this helps.

outside of Tom's, this is the post post in this thread.

TomAz
09-29-2008, 07:14 AM
The people there are always in a rush and rude as well if you don't keep with the pace.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51OcipBSu%2BL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

york707
09-29-2008, 07:56 AM

Houston is the armpit of Texas and Lubbock is the asshole of Texas. Everyone knows this. I would live in Dallas any day of the year over Houston. Tom and I will just have to agree to disagree on this. There are some really nice non-suburb old areas. The arts scene is actually pretty good and you will definitely find a clique of progressive/liberal people if you look. Of course, with any big city, there is a fair share of assholes. I wouldn't want to live in Ft. Worth.

york707
09-29-2008, 07:57 AM
What about San Antonio?

Do not live in San Antonio.

york707
09-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Yawn.....

Hope some of this helps.

I agree with everything said here except the assertion that the suburbs might be acceptable.

Quadromarshia
09-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Plus our state is very green thank you...except Dallas. Concrete jungle.

I don't know about that. I've driven across the state twice, from one coast to the other, and it didn't really get ''green'' untill I got closer to Dallas.

TonyWonder
09-29-2008, 08:34 AM

True..except for a tiny place called Marfa that is one of the coolest little cities I've ever visited..The Donald Judd exhibits, the Marfa Book Company, that crazy Prada store and tons of other art installations (not to mention the Marfa lights).

Courtney
09-29-2008, 08:43 AM
True..except for a tiny place called Marfa that is one of the coolest little cities I've ever visited..The Donald Judd exhibits, the Marfa Book Company, that crazy Prada store and tons of other art installations (not to mention the Marfa lights).

QFT. But, to be fair, I think that many people would rather visit Marfa on vacation than live there. It's a small place and, unless you are a total Judd fanatic, you could probably only visit Chinati so many times before getting bored.

I will say that despite its small size, Ballroom Marfa brings in more good shows than in all of the city of Honolulu on any given year.

rskapcat
09-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Lived in Houston until I was twelve...been in the DFW area since then. (I'm 29 now.) Going to Houston for even a weekend makes my allergies act up, and the humidity is killer, so I would never move back there.

I live in the DFW suburbs, and I can attest to the fact that this area is filled with conservative Bible-thumpers. That being said, a lot of nationally-touring bands play in Dallas. It's rare that we have to go to Austin to see any of our favorite bands...they usually come here, too.

FWIW, I would move to Austin (or anywhere in the Hill Country) in a heartbeat.

orbit
09-29-2008, 11:06 PM
i live in ft worth because of school. pretty nice city, and it's not all about cowboy wearing people. it has the rodeo and all that shit, but it's not everywhere. i live in downtown and i like it so far. the dfw area is growing a lot pretty fast. because of the giant gas reserve just under the area, a lot of parks are being targeted for drilling.

dallas gets pretty nice shows. i love when the shows are in the aac, so i can take the train straight from my house to the venue. i drive to austin or houston when i want to see the band twice or when they are not coming to dfw, which barely happens. it's a 3 hour drive to austin, 4 to houston.

i would live in dallas over houston any day. austin would be my first choice, though. and listen to york707. don't even think about living in lubbock. i like san antonio for visiting only, but i wouldn't live there.

Apathetic00
09-30-2008, 02:01 AM
the dfw area is growing a lot pretty fast.

QFT, Yes that is something I overlooked. I was just there for NIN and I haven't been downtown in quite awhile in Dallas. It has really expanded and is quite nice as well.
Plus you have the Lizard Lounge and you just can't go wrong there and an Afterparty club that goes till 10:00am. Goodtimes.

And wouldn't you know it, I asked my girl where she would rather live Houston or Dallas and she chose Dallas instead!! >_<

Plus you have the State Fair and that is pure win. Damn, why can't they have 24hr funnel cake drive thrus...?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-30-2008, 11:48 AM
hmmm...interesting...a few votes for Dallas...

TonyWonder
09-30-2008, 02:00 PM
dallas gets pretty nice shows. i love when the shows are in the aac, so i can take the train straight from my house to the venue.

I love taking the TRE for concerts and for connecting to DART...a new schedule featuring a midnight train from Dallas was announced recently so it'll be even more convenient now.

http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/09/tre-to-offer-new-departures-tw.html

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Does the DART only operate in downtown? Or does it go into the suburbs as well?

york707
09-30-2008, 02:17 PM
http://www.dart.org/images/DARTRailSystemFeb07.gif

It hits the burbs but there isn't development at a lot of teh stations, aka they are closer to park'n'ride

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-30-2008, 02:18 PM
I use Park n Rides in Denver. So it wouldn't be much of a difference...however...it looks like they run alot more then the buses I use here...

TonyWonder
09-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Supposedly, the whole thing is going to eventually connect up to Denton. They really need to connect it to Arlington since the Cowboys are moving there not to mention Six Flags, The Ballpark and all kinds of other stuff. Arlington is the biggest city in America without public transportation.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
10-05-2008, 06:30 PM
So I think we are going to try and fly down to Dallas for a few days to check things out...maybe December when it is all snowy here in Denver...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-26-2008, 09:40 AM
I was going to make another thread about this but then I remembered I had this one going...Texas prospects have dried up...but a chance has presented itself in...San Diego of al places..I applied this morning and am more the qualified for the position...so..San Diego?

Courtney
12-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I was thinking about Austin for myself, but after visiting in November I don't think I want to move there anymore. It's ok, but maybe I missed the really cool stuff or something.

TCHY, San Diego seems nice. But sort of like the quiet, boring sibling to Los Angeles. I might be biased.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-26-2008, 09:44 AM
this move is more to save myself...since my bosses' boss doesn't like me apparently..

Courtney
12-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Do you surf? That would be a bonus in San Diego.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-26-2008, 09:48 AM
I would love to learn...but I can't swin..(Remember I did grow up in Las Vegas).

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-26-2008, 09:51 AM
for reference...this would be the hotel I would work at..

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1009

allyjoy
12-26-2008, 09:52 AM
SD is a shitty city. It's pretty, but it's basically one sprawling suburb/beach town. If you think you would like that, I highly recommend moving there. Plus, it has a decent music scene, it's only a stone's throw from LA (2 hour drive), and you can cross into Mexico whenever you like where in TJ, you pay a cover and have unlimited drinks.

Courtney
12-26-2008, 09:54 AM
If you move to San Diego, you've gotta learn to swim!!

allyjoy
12-26-2008, 09:55 AM
why? is there a tsunami coming?

Courtney
12-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Haha. I just imagine that it would be totally miserable to be in San Diego in the summer and not be able to enjoy the beach.

allyjoy
12-26-2008, 09:59 AM
I don't think you have to go in the water to enjoy the beach... plus he can walk pretty far in before it gets too deep. Just watch out for the undertow, TCHY!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Haha. I just imagine that it would be totally miserable to be in San Diego in the summer and not be able to enjoy the beach.

if anything...(again coming from somebody who grew up in the desert) just having the beach there is a draw...no I can't swin but at least I can stick my feet in the sand and just watch the water...that is nice enough for me..

Courtney
12-26-2008, 10:01 AM
I suppose. I am a big swimmer, so that is an integral part of the beach for me. But I can respect that if you are not a swimmer you might not know what you are missing!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-26-2008, 10:02 AM
SD is a shitty city. It's pretty, but it's basically one sprawling suburb/beach town. If you think you would like that, I highly recommend moving there. Plus, it has a decent music scene, it's only a stone's throw from LA (2 hour drive), and you can cross into Mexico whenever you like where in TJ, you pay a cover and have unlimited drinks.

I could care less about TJ since I barely drink...but if anything being a stone throw from LA is just about as perfect as you can get without living there..I mean 2 hours is still closer then 4 or 5 hours or a flight over...I could still have access to *gasp* the Hollywood fucking Bowl! which would more then make up for my loss of Red Rocks...also...embarcadero bay is a wicked venue in SD...

allyjoy
12-26-2008, 10:03 AM
TJ really isn't a draw. I just ran out of nice things to say about the city.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-26-2008, 10:03 AM
I suppose. I am a big swimmer, so that is an integral part of the beach for me. But I can respect that if you are not a swimmer you might not know what you are missing!

its become a psychological thing now...I am terrifed of walking into water where my feet can't touch the ground...chalk that up almost drowning several times when I was younger..

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-26-2008, 10:04 AM
TJ really isn't a draw. I just ran out of nice things to say about the city.

but your dead on with the music scene and LA...that in itself is a draw...I could still have access to the same amenities as all you LA folks...

Courtney
12-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Two hours is if you're lucky. There's usually traffic. A lot of traffic.

allyjoy
12-26-2008, 10:12 AM
only on 3 day weekends has it taken me much more than 2 hours to get to or from san diego

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-26-2008, 10:12 AM
isn't there a train that links the 2 cities?

Courtney
12-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Maybe I have had bad luck, but it has definitely been more like three hours for me on several occasions.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-26-2008, 10:15 AM
according to google maps...2 hrs normally and 3 hours in traffic...

and amtrak runs a train...takes about the same as driving though..
http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak/FareFinder?_tripType=OneWay&_origin=San+Diego%2C+CA+%28SAN%29&_depmonthyear=2008-12&_depday=26&_dephourmin=&_destination=Los+Angeles+-+Union+Station%2C+CA+%28LAX%29&_retmonthyear=&_retday=&_rethourmin=&_adults=1&_children=0&_infants=0&_searchBy=schedule&x=27&y=13

Courtney
12-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Yes, Amtrak has trains between San Diego and Los Angeles. But it takes about 3 hours and it really helps to have a car in both Los Angeles and San Diego.

allyjoy
12-26-2008, 10:17 AM
especially if you're trying to get to a show. public transportation in the city of angels is wretched. In san diego, it's not too bad, except that the trolley stops running relatively early.

dinosaurateme
12-26-2008, 08:08 PM
So I started looking at a few other places...the suburbs around Chicago are reasonable...Virgina around DC...and Hotlanta....we have positions open in Phoenix but.....meh....I don't want to live in the desert again...

Maybe you should try Chicago. Houston seems sucky. I live in the Chicago area, and the further out suburbs are what's reasonable. The suburb i live in, which is next to o'hare is really expensive. Although, you can find some pretty reasonable places in the city of Chicago itself. I have a pal who lives a block away from wrigley field and his rent is $700 per month, which is pretty good. Oh, and i think our wages are better. And the public transportation is pretty easy to use too. One downside is that it's really cold. It's a pain in the ass to wait for the L when it's zero degrees outside and their heat lamps aint doing shit.

menikmati
12-26-2008, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't mind living in a suburb near Chicago.

dinosaurateme
12-26-2008, 08:17 PM
I wouldn't mind living in a suburb near Chicago.

Go for it. I recommend living closer to o'hare so you can drive to the L station instead of having to depend on Metra. Metra is stupid.

jazzz
12-26-2008, 09:27 PM
I was going to make another thread about this but then I remembered I had this one going...Texas prospects have dried up...but a chance has presented itself in...San Diego of al places..I applied this morning and am more the qualified for the position...so..San Diego?

San Diego is a great place to live if your thinking S. CA I lived here a few years and like it a lot better then LA. I live downtown which allows me to walk or trolley to all my music taverns etc. plus if you like going to the ocean we have the best beaches. There are some great neighborhoods around DT but stay away from PB/Mission beach unless your into Sublime and call friends bros!

faxman75
12-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Go for it. I recommend living closer to o'hare so you can drive to the L station instead of having to depend on Metra. Metra is stupid.

Chicago has some of the best public transportation in the world in my opinion. The L runs 24/7. Buses and trains to the suburbs run late. I lived int he south suburbs for 25 years and it was about 30 minutes to the city if you aren't having to deal with rush hour but there is really no reason to drive anywhere but to the trains station if you live in the suburbs. All the transportation is really damn efficient and reliable in my opinion. I used the Metra for years to go Columbia College. I used the South Shore train when I worked downtown. I also drove when I was on a non rush hour schedule. Within the city the L is damn handy and gets you close to most every thing. Would trains be late? Yeah but it was very rare.

Anyway, i would endorse Chicago. They have great music venues too. I could go on and on.

TomAz
12-27-2008, 05:15 AM
Chicago is my favorite city to drink in. There are bars with a gajillion beers on tap and good music on the jukebox. you can find the same thing in Austin but they're better drinkers in Chicago.

sacleonard
12-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Your relocation dilemma reminds me of ours from 2003. We moved from the east coast and looked at several areas. We looked at several cities (including San Diego and Orange County), weighing cost of living vs. quality of life vs. city offerings (music, culture, sports, etc.). Southern CA and the Bay Area both offered a lot to do and the quality of life was good, but financially, we just couldn't make it work out.

Through some strange twists, we ultimately landed in Sacramento, which has offered us a great quality of life (mild climate, great income, relatively affordable housing for CA, close proximity to Sierra Nevada, the coast, and surrounded by wine country). My only disappointment is that the city's entertainment offerings are limited: the music scene does not compare to other cities (Bay Area gets everyone), culturally underdeveloped, etc.

I still would recommend the area to anyone looking for the CA quality of life, but maybe Scooper can comment more, since he has lived here longer than I have. Good luck with your opportunities in SD, and tell your wife to finish nursing school (my wife is a nurse, and this area has the highest demand/income in the nation for nurses).

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
12-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks man..California has actually gotten loads more affordable due to the foreclorsures and what not...the median price in So cal is now 285k down from half a million not to long ago...even the bay area is getting there...I found some very nice homes in the suburbs of the Bay area for 150k to 200k. If I had my way...I wouldn't want to move right now...especially given the times...but like I stated..I might bot have a choice so I am trying to jump the gun so to speak...also...where are all the so cal people? Thomthom? Supre? I thought I would get more feedback on San Diego..I have only been there once and that was back in 2006 for the Radiohead show...for like 2 days..

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-06-2009, 04:23 PM
So I put in a few transfer request for some positions in Texas....Dallas to be exact...my summer concert goings are on hold until I know what is going on with the jobs...just a FYI is anyone cares...

rskapcat
04-06-2009, 04:32 PM
I live about 20 minutes away from Dallas proper. I work in Addison. Should I keep my fingers crossed for you?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
04-06-2009, 04:34 PM
the jobs pay the bucks, so yes plz!

rskapcat
04-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Sweet. Will do. :)

suprefan
11-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Go Texas... Ban ALL MARRAIGE

http://www.newser.com/story/74400/texas-accidentally-bans-straight-marriage.html

(Newser) – The geniuses who wrote Texas’ gay marriage ban may have accidentally banned all marriage in the state, according to one Houston lawyer. Subsection B of the ban, a constitutional amendment ratified in 2005, states, “This state…may not create or recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage.” The intent was to prevent even civil unions for gay couples—but it doesn’t actually specify the “gay” part.

The wording essentially “eliminates marriage in Texas,” Barbara Ann Radnofsky, the Democratic candidate for state attorney general tells the McClatchy Papers. “You do not have to have a fancy law degree to read this and understand what it plainly says.” Conservatives scoffed at Radnofsky’s tactics. “It’s a silly argument,” said the head of an organization that helped draft the amendment. A lawsuit based on it would have “about one chance in a trillion” of succeeding.