PDA

View Full Version : McCain suspends campaign

thestripe
09-24-2008, 01:07 PM
fuck the link

McCain suspends campaign

anti-square
09-24-2008, 01:08 PM
He should suspend it until November 5th.

Tylerdurden31
09-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Obama's damned if he goes with it and damned if he doesn't

marooko
09-24-2008, 01:11 PM
i love the tags here. thanks for the new toy, mods.

allyjoy
09-24-2008, 01:12 PM
but McCain said the fundamentals of our economy are strong... I'm so confused :nono

TonyWonder
09-24-2008, 01:14 PM
McCain is just afraid because of all the new polls out today showing his campaign tanking.

I hope Obama refuses to delay the debates and then offers to change the debate subject to economics.

amyzzz
09-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Someone explain to me: these tags are new to this board, right? (or did I accidentally add them to be viewed now somehow?)

marooko
09-24-2008, 01:18 PM
what tags?

sbessiso
09-24-2008, 01:19 PM
they sure do pop up fast

anti-square
09-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Fuck McCain, amyzzz needs some clarity!

SFChrissy
09-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Brutal...

Wheres the beef?
09-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Why does he want to suspend the campaign? You can't suspend your duty to your job because you dont want to deal with or dont understand a problem. *cough*hurricane Katrina*cough*

marooko
09-24-2008, 01:25 PM
i only read the first paragraph, but it sounds like he wants it postponed so he "can" do his "job". although im sure there are ulterior motives.

allyjoy
09-24-2008, 01:25 PM
that's sort of his point: he's suspending his campaign to work @ the job he currently has. The debate should still go on regardless. Congress isn't doing shit after 3:30 on any day of the week. I've watched CSPAN. Lazy fucks. :p

Young blood
09-24-2008, 01:26 PM
freddie mac. oops.

SFChrissy
09-24-2008, 01:26 PM
I hope he fucks this up so he looses tons of his potential voters...

amyzzz
09-24-2008, 01:29 PM
that's sort of his point: he's suspending his campaign to work @ the job he currently has. The debate should still go on regardless. Congress isn't doing shit after 3:30 on any day of the week. I've watched CSPAN. Lazy fucks. :p
Not true. Sometimes they stay up until the wee hours in the morning to get certain bills pushed through.

thestripe
09-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Not true. Sometimes they stay up until the wee hours in the morning to get certain bills pushed through.

Yeah, our do nothing congress is going to stay up and bang this out. Sure.

thestripe
09-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Oh, and fuck these tags.

BROKENDOLL
09-24-2008, 01:34 PM
i only read the first paragraph, but it sounds like he wants it postponed so he "can" do his "job". although im sure there are ulterior motives. I know. His dog ate his debate notes.He's buying time.

thestripe
09-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Thats the scariest avatar I've ever seen.

BROKENDOLL
09-24-2008, 01:36 PM
The only thing scarier to me than McCain/Palin 08 is potvsktl/youngblood 08....Yikes!

Blinken
09-24-2008, 01:38 PM

Oh snap Ally got told by Amy.

marooko
09-24-2008, 01:38 PM

because every other time they dont do shit and fucking lag!!

downingthief
09-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Such a blatant political move. I hope Obama calls him out on it. They both can still cast votes, so I do not see what good suspending any of the debates, etc will do.

PotVsKtl
09-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Here's how our "Do Nothing Congress" has operated for the past two years, for everyone not paying attention.

1. Democrats introduce bill
2. Republicans threaten to "filibuster"
3. It takes 60 votes to break a "filibuster" (really just a stated intention to do so)
4. Democrats don't have 60 votes
5. Bill dies, nothing gets done, Republicans get to crow about our "Do Nothing Congress"
6. Repeat

CalmerThanYou
09-24-2008, 01:53 PM
From Drudge:

MCCAIN: America this week faces an historic crisis in our financial system. We must pass legislation to address this crisis. If we do not, credit will dry up, with devastating consequences for our economy. People will no longer be able to buy homes and their life savings will be at stake. Businesses will not have enough money to pay their employees. If we do not act, ever corner of our country will be impacted. We cannot allow this to happen.

Last Friday, I laid out my proposal and I have since discussed my priorities and concerns with the bill the Administration has put forward. Senator Obama has expressed his priorities and concerns.This morning, I met with a group of economic advisers to talk about the proposal on the table and the steps that we should take going forward.I have also spoken with members of Congress to hear their perspective.

It has become clear that no consensus has developed to support the Administration' proposal. I do not believe that the plan on the table will pass as it currently stands, and we are running out of time.

Tomorrow morning, I will suspend my campaign and return to Washington after speaking at the Clinton Global Initiative. I have spoken to Senator Obama and informed him of my decision and have asked him to join me.

I am calling on the President to convene a meeting with the leadership from both houses of Congress, including Senator Obama and myself. It is time for both parties to come together to solve this problem.

We must meet as Americans, not as Democrats or Republicans, and we must meet until this crisis is resolved.I am directing my campaign to work with the Obama campaign and the commission on presidential debates to delay Friday night's debate until we have taken action to address this crisis.

I am confident that before the markets open on Monday we can achieve consensus on legislation that will stabilize our financial markets, protect taxpayers and homeowners, and earn the confidence of the American people. All we must do to achieve this is temporarily set politics aside, and I am committed to doing so.

Following September 11th, our national leaders came together at a time of crisis. We must show that kind of patriotism now. Americans across our country lament the fact that partisan divisions in Washington have prevented us from addressing our national challenges. Now is our chance to come together to prove that Washington is once again capable of leading this country.

faxman75
09-24-2008, 01:55 PM
I call bullshit on this whole thread. All political talk should be taking place in the Sarah Palin thread ONLY!

SARAH PALIN ACID TEST COACHELLA 2009 YOU FUCKERS!

BROKENDOLL
09-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Thats the scariest avatar I've ever seen. Wrong...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/bevieinglass-1-1.jpg

Young blood
09-24-2008, 01:59 PM
This is Mccains Watergate.

downingthief
09-24-2008, 02:03 PM
From Drudge:

MCCAIN: Following September 11th, our national leaders came together at a time of crisis. We must show that kind of patriotism now. Americans across our country lament the fact that partisan divisions in Washington have prevented us from addressing our national challenges. Now is our chance to come together to prove that Washington is once again capable of leading this country.

Ahh, the tried and true 9/11 reference. Why am I not surprised?

faxman75
09-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Such a blatant political move. I hope Obama calls him out on it. They both can still cast votes, so I do not see what good suspending any of the debates, etc will do.

I agree. This is McCains way of saying the problem can't be fixed without him, yet he has no plan either. What a fuck face.

allyjoy
09-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Oh snap Ally got told by Amy.
1. that doesn't qualified as getting told on any level. Plus, usually their assistants (er... pages) are the ones doing all of the work while they hobnob with lobbyists.

because every other time they dont do shit and fucking lag!!
2. what he said^

3. Since when did McCain need advisors? I swore his party made him up to be a Maverick, out-of-the-box thinker who could solve world problems in the blink of his eye... well, technically "they can't blink" because, you know, being president is a lot like a staring contest. You know what? Fuck him. Obama called him about doing a joint venture on the economy according to CNN. McCain's been playing the lalala i can't hear you game for the last month dealing with the economy and now he wants to get all bent out of shape? His wife's profits must be tanking right now. Why does no one attack him on being a waffler? Three weeks ago he was talking about how strong our economy is & now we're facing the greatest economic crisis because the top one percent of the nation is feeling the crunch that the rest of the population has been feeling for over a year. This is the same asshole that wants to maintain tax cuts on the most wealthy but we're willing to use the tax dollars we don't have to bail them out of poor business decisions. Seriously, what the fuck!

faxman75
09-24-2008, 02:23 PM
These two just can't get along.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080924/ap_on_el_pr/mccain

Obama repeatedly stressed at his news conference that he called McCain first to propose that they issue a joint statement in support of a package to help fix the economy as soon as possible. He said McCain called back several hours later, as Obama was leaving a rally in Florida, and agreed to the idea of a statement but also said he wanted to postpone the debate and hold joint meetings in Washington.

Obama said he suggested they first issue a joint statement showing bipartisanship.

"When I got back to the hotel, he had gone on television to announce what he was going to do," Obama said.

amyzzz
09-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Granted, Congress doesn't do it that often, but I do remember hearing reports about them hammering through a bill at 1am a few times a year. :p

arbouler
09-24-2008, 02:28 PM
that old prune needs to drop dead.

he hasnt voted in 5 months.
last week he said the fundamentals of the economy is strong.
it took him 10 days to figure out that it's not and actually dire.
at the same time while congress already said "we've got this", he's trying to come to the capitol to create a scene.

the only thing he can do at the capitol is give a speech, listen for hours then vote.

i dont see why mccain cant multitask.

a good solution is to debate on friday, then get briefed on the plane and continue congress on saturday.

marooko
09-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Granted, Congress doesn't do it that often, but I do remember hearing reports about them hammering through a bill at 1am a few times a year. :p

which wouldnt happen if they got shit done in a timely manner.

CalmerThanYou
09-24-2008, 02:59 PM
I love how the suspension is backfiring on him HARD right now...

arbouler
09-24-2008, 03:05 PM
EXCLUSIVE: LETTERMAN MOCKS MCCAIN CANCELLATION
Wed Sep 24 2008 17:41:58 ET

David Letterman tells audience that McCain called him today to tell him he had to rush back to DC to deal with the economy.

Then in the middle of the taping Dave got word that McCain was, in fact just down the street being interviewed by Katie Couric. Dave even cut over to the live video of the interview, and said, "Hey Senator, can I give you a ride home?"

Earlier in the show, Dave kept saying, "You don't suspend your campaign. This doesn't smell right. This isn't the way a tested hero behaves." And he joked: "I think someone's putting something in his metamucil."

"He can't run the campaign because the economy is cratering? Fine, put in your second string quarterback, Sara Palin. Where is she?"

"What are you going to do if you're elected and things get tough? Suspend being president? We've got a guy like that now!"

Developing...

drudged

ShyGuy75
09-24-2008, 03:14 PM
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj20/coachella75/economy.jpg

faxman75
09-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Fox news now using rumors as headlines lol

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/24/biden-dropping-out-rumor-thrives-on-internet/

Biden Out? Rumor Thrives on WebSurging Internet rumor alleges Biden will drop out of race after Oct. 2 debate with Palin, and Clinton will replace him

canexplain
09-24-2008, 03:41 PM
1. that doesn't qualified as getting told on any level. Plus, usually their assistants (er... pages) are the ones doing all of the work while they hobnob with lobbyists.

2. what he said^

3. Since when did McCain need advisors? I swore his party made him up to be a Maverick, out-of-the-box thinker who could solve world problems in the blink of his eye... well, technically "they can't blink" because, you know, being president is a lot like a staring contest. You know what? Fuck him. Obama called him about doing a joint venture on the economy according to CNN. McCain's been playing the lalala i can't hear you game for the last month dealing with the economy and now he wants to get all bent out of shape? His wife's profits must be tanking right now. Why does no one attack him on being a waffler? Three weeks ago he was talking about how strong our economy is & now we're facing the greatest economic crisis because the top one percent of the nation is feeling the crunch that the rest of the population has been feeling for over a year. This is the same asshole that wants to maintain tax cuts on the most wealthy but we're willing to use the tax dollars we don't have to bail them out of poor business decisions. Seriously, what the fuck!

I love it when a woman talks politics :) well not Sara, we should send gunz after her ass ... x****

amyzzz
09-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Fox news now using rumors as headlines lol

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/24/biden-dropping-out-rumor-thrives-on-internet/

Biden Out? Rumor Thrives on WebSurging Internet rumor alleges Biden will drop out of race after Oct. 2 debate with Palin, and Clinton will replace him
haha, someone just told me this in the break room at work.

CalmerThanYou
09-24-2008, 03:44 PM
FoxNews is fucking HORRIBLE

gaypalmsprings
09-24-2008, 03:47 PM
He should suspend his campaign on a rope.

zenidogx
09-24-2008, 04:21 PM
this is like the Palin move. very wrong. but it will work in his favor.
this also adds to his "maverick" image too.
yeah, he should debate Obama. just like he should get a more qualified VP.
however, this will work in his favor for a while. the polls will go back to near post-RNC numbers.
eventually he'll lose steam though. so between now and November expect one more crazy move by McCain.

if he's elected, McCain is a political genius. if he loses . . .

ivankay
09-24-2008, 04:23 PM
I love it when a woman talks politics :) well not Sara, we should send gunz after her ass ... x****

This is good:

S27yitK32ds

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-24-2008, 04:26 PM
McCain is a fucking piece of shit....and so is Lou Dobbs...

faxman75
09-24-2008, 04:33 PM
this is like the Palin move. very wrong. but it will work in his favor.
this also adds to his "maverick" image too.
yeah, he should debate Obama. just like he should get a more qualified VP.
however, this will work in his favor for a while. the polls will go back to near post-RNC numbers.
eventually he'll lose steam though. so between now and November expect one more crazy move by McCain.

if he's elected, McCain is a political genius. if he loses . . .

It's already not working in his favor. I would argue it backfired after hanging up the phone with Obama and calling the press to give a statement despite saying he would wait to give one with Obama.

Harry Reid already said thanks but no thanks to McCain. lolz

"It would not be helpful at this time to have them come back during these negotiations and risk injecting presidential politics into this process or distract important talks about the future of our nation's economy," the statement said. "We need leadership, not a campaign photo op.

"If there were ever a time for both candidates to hold a debate before the American people about this serious challenge, it is now," he added.

Also, McCain is already taking it back saying if there is a deal before Friday he will debate, or if there is no deal, then no debate.

i'm kinda hoping there is no deal and McCain looks like an ass and doesn't show up for the debate. This is another stumble for McCain it doens't help in any way.

amyzzz
09-24-2008, 04:35 PM
So I guess if we get McCain we get more of the same lying to everyone bullshit that made the Bush administration lose all credibility. I hope the general public realizes this.

zenidogx
09-24-2008, 04:45 PM
It's already not working in his favor. I would argue it backfired after hanging up the phone with Obama and calling the press to give a statement despite saying he would wait to give one with Obama.

Harry Reid already said thanks but no thanks to McCain. lolz

Also, McCain is already taking it back saying if there is a deal before Friday he will debate, or if there is no deal, then no debate.

well, we'll see what the polls say in the next week and a half. if mccain does debate and gets crushed, then his decision doesn't make a difference. if he doesn't debate and the polls go up, this thing will be close. if he doesn't debate and the polls go down, then Obama will cruise to the white house.

McCain's endless string of blunders don't seem to hurt him. or at least as much as they should.

zenidogx
09-24-2008, 04:48 PM
So I guess if we get McCain we get more of the same lying to everyone bullshit that made the Bush administration lose all credibility. I hope the general public realizes this.

meet the new boss, same as the old boss . . .

*same goes for Obama

humanoid
09-24-2008, 04:54 PM
If I were McCain, I wouldn't want to get torn apart by Obama in a debate either! Whether Obama is capable of fulfilling any campaign promises is another thing, but I'm sure the man will absolutely, ridiculously dominate any debate with gramps

amyzzz
09-24-2008, 04:55 PM
meet the new boss, same as the old boss . . .

*same goes for Obama
Obama at least appears to have some integrity. Whether he's lying behind scenes and we haven't seen it yet is another story altogether.

faxman75
09-24-2008, 04:55 PM
well, we'll see what the polls say in the next week and a half.

That won't prove anything though. First off the polls are bullshit. Second, they can fluctuate for a variety of reasons, there would be no way to prove it was because McCain said he wanted to postpone debates.

if mccain does debate and gets crushed, then his decision doesn't make a difference. if he doesn't debate and the polls go up, this thing will be close. if he doesn't debate and the polls go down, then Obama will cruise to the white house.

Listen, this thing is already close and it's going to be close on election day. That scares the living fuck out of me. After 8 years of the worst presidency I have ever known, John McCain the old crotchety maverick with the side show freak Palin are still in a statistical dead heat. You would think by now the american people would be begging for a democrat in office. Instead.....we have a very tight matchup. That's scary as shit. I don't get it.

I agree that his blunders haven't hurt him too much.

faxman75
09-24-2008, 04:56 PM
If I were McCain, I wouldn't want to get torn apart by Obama in a debate either! Whether Obama is capable of fulfilling any campaign promises is another thing, but I'm sure the man will absolutely, ridiculously dominate any debate with gramps

I'm not. Obama has proved to rely more on the teleprompter than McCain. Obama is good but stuttuers a bit when speaking off the cuff. I hope Obama can destroy McCain though and i'm wrong. We shall see. Or maybe we won't for a while if they do postpone.

humanoid
09-24-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm not. Obama has proved to rely more on the teleprompter than McCain. Obama is good but stuttuers a bit when speaking off the cuff. I hope Obama can destroy McCain though and i'm wrong. We shall see. Or maybe we won't for a while if they do postpone.

I don't see McCain as someone who can think quickly and on the run. He comes across as an intellectual light weight . I've had college professors and bosses that struck me as much more intelligent than McCain could ever hope to be. McCain can come up with simpleton answers that may satisfy a large portion of America(very sadly) but nothing that in my opinion resembles any deeper thought process.

I am not really an Obama supporter, I just think that we are in dire need of trying something drastically different after 8 years of our nation turning to shit.

algunz
09-24-2008, 05:12 PM

What am I gonna do? Pelt her with daisies?

PotVsKtl
09-24-2008, 05:14 PM
So here's the real reason.

vMQxDprCVbE

ShyGuy75
09-24-2008, 05:14 PM
The only reason this is still "close" is b/c there are many racist inbreds in this country and the mainstream media makes up the poll numbers to be close so they can keep viewers.

Time to unplug kids

Obama will win via landslide, and it will be red pills for everyone.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-24-2008, 05:16 PM

vMQxDprCVbE

Fucker is trying to get Palin off the debate radar....ugh!!!!

Wheres the beef?
09-24-2008, 05:16 PM

vMQxDprCVbE

If he doesn't go to the debate, Obama should just use it as free TV time.

rage patton
09-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Palin will be slaughtered in the debate by Biden.

Seriously, if you Americans fuck up and McCain gets into power...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Palin will be slaughtered in the debate by Biden.

Seriously, if you Americans fuck up and McCain gets into power...

Hey! My state is going towards Obama! And we're a battleground state!

Blinken
09-24-2008, 05:34 PM
If they don't, I am holding you personnaly responsable Marco.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-24-2008, 05:35 PM
You should!!!

amyzzz
09-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Damn you, Marco.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-24-2008, 05:39 PM
RCP Average 09/14 - 09/23 -- 50.2 44.8 Obama +5.4
CNN/Time 09/21 - 09/23 794 LV 51 47 Obama +4
Rasmussen 09/23 - 09/23 700 LV 50 47 Obama +3
InAdv/PollPosition 09/23 - 09/23 505 LV 50 41 Obama +9
PPP (D) 09/20 - 09/21 1084 LV 51 44 Obama +7
Quinnipiac/WSJ/WP 09/14 - 09/21 1418 LV 49 45 Obama +4

these are the CO polls btw...

CalmerThanYou
09-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Fucker is trying to get Palin off the debate radar....ugh!!!!

Well yes that (they have kept her in the fucking dark since she was selected, its pitiful), but i think the real reason is because he needs more debate prep time, he just isnt ready yet...

Jew'd Law
09-24-2008, 05:47 PM
He shall never be ready.

amyzzz
09-24-2008, 05:49 PM
He shall never be ready.
That's an awesome nick.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-24-2008, 05:51 PM
He shall never be ready.

Best alias and 1st post ever....

Blinken
09-24-2008, 05:51 PM
welcome back Chad

he is obviously not Chad, he is way too clever. You half wit.

bartelby
09-24-2008, 05:52 PM
what a fucking joke

cmon America, send the Republicans packing....

now if only we could smarten up up here, ugh...

allyjoy
09-24-2008, 05:52 PM
I don't know of what you are speaking

BROKENDOLL
09-24-2008, 05:55 PM
I know. His dog ate his debate notes.He's buying time.

Well yes that (they have kept her in the fucking dark since she was selected, its pitiful), but i think the real reason is because he needs more debate prep time, he just isnt ready yet... Exactly, except the dog story fits in better with the rest of his lame excuses/ideas.

boarderwoozel3
09-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Well yes that (they have kept her in the fucking dark since she was selected, its pitiful), but i think the real reason is because he needs more debate prep time, he just isnt ready yet...

McCain obviously needs to straighten out his economic messaging and Palin certainly isn't ready to debate Biden on Oct. 2, or ever for that matter.

Ladies and Gentlemen we're witnessing the McPalin bubble starting to burst. That fucker could only make erroneous accusations and petty attacks for so long. He and Palin's polling numbers are starting to slip combined with the impending debates have McCain essentially calling a campaign timeout for a campaign huddle. Fucking pathetic.

Does anyone remember McCain blasting Obama for not accepting his "town hall meeting" invitations? The irony is fantastic. Old man rivers and his wench can feel the flames getting closer but their backs are in a corner, oh the sweet political train wreck.

bartelby
09-24-2008, 06:56 PM
I don't know of what you are speaking

there's an election going on up here in Canada....we're about to re-elect our fucking Bush-clone

ugh

Hannahrain
09-24-2008, 07:05 PM
McCain's been looking sort of wan lately. Pallid. And stumbling over his words a little bit. I can't help but think he might have suspended for health reasons.

I bet he's also afraid to voice any opinion before a public uproar about the bailout, which would explain the debate postponement. He's probably waiting to see what people think before he chooses a side.

boarderwoozel3
09-24-2008, 07:15 PM
I bet he's also afraid to voice any opinion before a public uproar about the bailout, which would explain the debate postponement. He's probably waiting to see what people think before he chooses a side.

Thats an excellent point. McCain has shown a propensity to switch his tune on the issues based on the current popular view. The economy is going to decide the election and he can't afford to slip up on it.

Yay! A Palin interview clip with Katie Couric is coming up next on AC360. Should be good. I hope she doesn't let me down and give a straightforward answer to the question.

PotVsKtl
09-24-2008, 07:48 PM
I suspect this is the play:

Return to DC, put his stamp on a bill someone else wrote that includes most of the things Democrats want so they are unable to object, ram it through against feigned Republican concern. Maverick.

boarderwoozel3
09-24-2008, 08:03 PM
I suspect this is the play:

Return to DC, put his stamp on a bill someone else wrote that includes most of the things Democrats want so they are unable to object, ram it through against feigned Republican concern. Maverick.

This has been bantered about on the news programs in the hours following McCain's announcement. It's certainly a possibility. They were also saying that McCain might be trying to draw Obama in so if the bailout gets passed and people are pissed both candidates are in the same boat.

I think Anderson Cooper put it best: Now that McCain's polling numbers are slipping across the board and with his campaign fumbles on the economy this looks like a "hail mary" pass to steal headlines.

fatbastard
09-24-2008, 08:10 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3283/2610544909_509b056a82.jpg?v=0

boarderwoozel3
09-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Motherfucker is hooked on the botox.

arbouler
09-24-2008, 09:57 PM

actually mccain relies on the prompter more. mccain fumbles and rants w/o it, obama is slower cuz he has to carefully choose his words. i'm glad obama rejected the town hall proposal after i watched this

-yZG4r-zj2w

Young blood
09-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Letterman was priceless.

CalmerThanYou
09-24-2008, 10:25 PM
EXCLUSIVE: LETTERMAN MOCKS MCCAIN CANCELLATION
Wed Sep 24 2008 17:41:58 ET

David Letterman tells audience that McCain called him today to tell him he had to rush back to DC to deal with the economy.

Then in the middle of the taping Dave got word that McCain was, in fact just down the street being interviewed by Katie Couric. Dave even cut over to the live video of the interview, and said, "Hey Senator, can I give you a ride home?"

Earlier in the show, Dave kept saying, "You don't suspend your campaign. This doesn't smell right. This isn't the way a tested hero behaves." And he joked: "I think someone's putting something in his metamucil."

"He can't run the campaign because the economy is cratering? Fine, put in your second string quarterback, Sara Palin. Where is she?"

"What are you going to do if you're elected and things get tough? Suspend being president? We've got a guy like that now!"

arbouler
09-25-2008, 05:57 AM
The meeting: It's scheduled for 4:00 this afternoon at the White House.

This morning, you can catch McCain addressing the Clinton (!) Global Initiative in New York at 8:45. - ben smith (http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0908/The_meeting.html)

perhaps obama and mccain should just face off after the white house meeting then.

Quadromarshia
09-25-2008, 06:53 AM
Poor ol' McCain thought he was going to win this election on foreign policy- a bonefied war president! Ha!

thestripe
09-25-2008, 07:02 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XjkCrfylq-E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XjkCrfylq-E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

chairmenmeow47
09-25-2008, 08:09 AM

a-fucking-men.

arbouler
09-25-2008, 09:41 AM
XazpaYwFKd8

clueless on the economy. he shouldve picked mittens...

p/s-is it not possible for congress to vote over the weekend before monday?

TonyWonder
09-25-2008, 09:46 AM
If he had picked mittens, he'd might be winning right now...

faxman75
09-25-2008, 11:14 AM
DEAL REACHED......

So, does that mean Bush doesn't need to meet with the candidates anymore or are they all celebrating together? I bet McCain feels silly about the whole debate debacle now.

arbouler
09-25-2008, 11:37 AM
the white house is gonna say no just to make sure that mccain doesnt look stupid(er) after 24 hours of theatrical performance. theyre gonna try to make congress extend past friday.

C DUB YA
09-25-2008, 11:38 AM
He looks more stupid by the day, McCain = clueless war vet, nothing more.

This is making him look worse and idiotic. If he feels for the economy - he should give away 6 of his 7 houses, and 7 out of 8 cars he has. Spending has never been a problem for him.

Seriously though in an issue that is soooo critical - don't you think the people would want to hear how the president was going to attempt to fix things? Answer is McSame and Palin are fucking clueless. Why do you think the no debate thing is even coming up - why can't people interview the potential VP? Fucking joke in my book. Obama wanting to debate furthers my faith in him. Many more people even the indecided will feel the same way.

Yep the republicans are gonna lose if they debate - this is a no-brainer and an ass-poor thin attempt to strengthen an already clueless campaign - I hate McCain for this and many many more things.

C DUB YA
09-25-2008, 11:46 AM
If he had picked mittens, he'd might be winning right now...

Anything would have been smarter - but I never expect that from the GOP. They prey on the unintelligent and ill-informed. Hence the Palin choice, now that they are stuck with her - they implement the "no interview" play... what a joke.

Why are they still preaching (so-called) patriotism, gun control, terrorism threats, and religion - cuz that's about all they have. Our current state of affairs should let everyone know that.

arbouler
09-25-2008, 11:53 AM
i'm confused as to why the media has yet to ask the importance of mccain suspending his campaign because he's not in the banking committee, he's not writing the legislation, he hasnt voted since april or so, he said the other day he still hadnt read the 3-page bernanke-paulson made, and somehow he wants to be there as a "maverick" trying to get a bipartisan vote?

McCain is the lead sponsor of 38 pieces of legislation during the 110th Congress, none of which have been referred to the Banking panel, according to a review of Thomas, a congressional website.

Obama has introduced 130 measures during this Congress. Five of Obama’s standalone bills fall within the Banking Committee's jurisdiction. - the hill (http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/mccain-has-introduced-no-banking-bill-this-congress-2008-09-25.html)

i mean seriously. he's not needed there until he needs to vote on it. he doesnt know anything about the economy but seems like he wants to debate the issue. really?

i mean, you guys' political process is a sham.

faxman75
09-25-2008, 12:16 PM
A scary reality. They are begging us not to stop paying our mortgages to the banks that go under. They are letting us know the value of the US dollars is going to get umm terrible.

This is going to get interesting as obviously a deal being reached doesn't mean everything is ok. It means get ready for the disaster that has been going on and will continue to occur. This merely lessens the blow...maybe. It's all unknown.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/09/25/velshi.economy/index.html

Ali Velshi says keep paying mortgage even if the holding company goes under

To stop paying your mortgage would be a disaster and ruin your credit, he says

Value of U.S. dollar likely to drop against other currencies, Velshi says

luckyface
09-25-2008, 12:19 PM

No matter who we end up, he will be a lying shithead politician. You are all naive to think Obama is going to be a savior. He might be better than the current administration, but that isn't saying a whole lot.

On topic, I actually think suspending the campaign so the two candidates can re-work their economic policies around this financial disaster is not a bad idea.

PotVsKtl
09-25-2008, 12:28 PM
You are all naive to think Obama is going to be a savior.

I'd love to see you point out anyone calling Obama a savior. Oh wait, nobody did that, it's a pathetic talking point. Go fuck a rock.

TonyWonder
09-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Who said Obama was a savior? The attitude that Bush, McCain and Obama are the same, a bunch of lying shithead politicians, is lazy. The differences between Bush/McCain and Obama are stark...and McCain is a puss for suspending his campain.

luckyface
09-25-2008, 12:31 PM
I'd love to see you point out anyone calling Obama a savior. Oh wait, nobody did that, it's a pathetic talking point. Go fuck a rock.

Whatever.

faxman75
09-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Go fuck a rock.

A new one! I like it. *lol*

faxman75
09-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Obama is the messiah, not a savior. Obamamessiah. Get it right.

arbouler
09-25-2008, 12:33 PM
You are all naive to think Obama is going to be a savior. He might be better than the current administration, but that isn't saying a whole lot.

no because everyone who actually has heard what obama said in his speeches is that this shit is gonna take a lot of hard work from everyone.

captncrzy
09-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Stupid to think that suspending a campaign to "think" about what he's going to do next is going to help. What's he going to do if he's President and something else major goes down? Take a 48 hour vacation to "think" about it?

They're surrounded by advisors that know what is what. They should already have an answer ready to present tomorrow night.

Rumor is that he's just trying to suspend stuff long enough so that Palin won't have to debate at all.

faxman75
09-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Rumor is that he's just trying to suspend stuff long enough so that Palin won't have to debate at all.

yep, I think that was obvious when his suggestion for a make up date was the day of the VP debate. Dead giveaway and silly move.

amyzzz
09-25-2008, 12:44 PM
..and Wormwood fell down from the sky and the rivers were as blood. It's the end of times, right? because Pot defended me.

arbouler
09-25-2008, 01:01 PM
hey hey, remember when bush took a four minute time out?

XR_rFXXz_44

probably he wasnt sure if he was more transfixed seeing black people up close or he wasnt sure of what to do?

C DUB YA
09-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Whatever.

NO.
Not whatever.

humanoid
09-25-2008, 02:09 PM
mass suicide is the only solution

Blinken
09-25-2008, 02:30 PM
mass murder is the only solution

Fixed

humanoid
09-25-2008, 02:40 PM
/\ that works too.....that's a lot of mass murder to deal with though

faxman75
09-25-2008, 02:57 PM
So does no deal mean McCain is hijacking this entire bailout plan and the rest of the republican congress is just going to follow suit?

faxman75
09-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Senator McCain, You Were Right to Suspend Your Campaign. You Should. Permanently.

by Ian Gurvitz

Senator McCain,

At this point, only two things are possible: You know exactly what you're doing, in which case you're the most arrogant, calculating, power-mad son of a $#@! ever to strut upon the national stage; or, you don't know what you're doing in which case you have absolutely no business running for President. Either way, you're starting to embarrass yourself. So why not just quit? Concede the election. Spare us the pain of having to sweat out the results and spare your advisers the pain of trying to figure out how to rig them.

The country has suffered enough the past 8 years. We're hurting. If you're truly a patriot, let it go. Senator Obama can take it from here. He's smart. He is ready. And he remembers what he stands for. Imagine how relaxing it would be not to have to remember all those talking points and irritating facts, like knowing one country from another, when you were a regulator or deregulator. Or even when you were regular, for that matter. You don't know what you're for or against from one day to the next but yet you bellow and bleat your opinions and pound your fist with equal ferocity for completely contradictory assertions. (Fyi, when you break out in that insane smile, it makes my 5-month-old son bust out crying, so you're already frightening the next generation of voters.)

Before it all gets any more degrading, quit. Retire to one of your seven houses and tend one of your seven gardens. I imagine you like gardening. Or take a drive in one of your 13 cars. Or better yet, go on a fact-finding mission back to Vietnam and see if you can find your honor 'cause if the way you've conducted your campaign is any indication, apparently that's the last time you had it. So, enough. Just quit. And send that combination frontier hooker/Stepford wife/born-again house plant back to Alaska before she even gets close to Washington. The stakes are too high. And she's not qualified to wield power in Washington. She's not qualified to visit Washington. She's not qualified to see a movie with Denzel Washington. That you actually selected this snarky, avaricious petty bureaucrat as your running mate, and then tried to convince anyone who's ever been within spitting distance of an original thought or the most rudimentary powers of observation that she was qualified to hold national office demonstrates an irresponsibility bordering on treason, as her ascendence to that position would most certainly give aid and comfort to our enemies. Or maybe just hysterical fits of laughter. (Is that your plan to get Bin Laden? Have him laugh himself to death?) Please stop.

Your party has circled the wagons and has begun shooting at each other. Stop the bleeding. Don't debate. Don't fundraise. Don't campaign. Stop these disgusting commercials before they transcend mere lies and devolve any deeper into the mud. The Congress will sort out this financial mess without you. Go home. Putter around the house. If it gets you off, fire a cook or a driver. You know, people you actually can fire. If you need to keep a hand in local politics, write an angry letter to the local paper about potholes or long lines at the DMV. On July 4th you can get one of those boater hats and be the grand marshal in a local parade. You like to wave a t people. Or, if you feel you have unfinished business in politics, wait until Bush's term is over and go kick him in the nuts for swift-boating you eight years ago when maybe you had enough dignity to run an honorable campaign. But now it's time to stop. At some point we all have to come to terms with the fact that we may never realize all our ambitions. You must be tired. Take a well-earned rest. Before it just gets sad. For all of us.

paganman7
09-25-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm...fucking...mystified!!!

How is this election so close? Why does Obama not have a 50 point lead?

McCain is a right-winged, anti-gay, anti-abortion nutjob...when he has to be.
He's an independent, maverick, challenging the way Washington is run...when he has to be.

He's selected the most inexperienced, under qualified, and possibly ignorant running mate in recent memory, and she's one sunburn away from being our president!

He's always 5 steps behind everyone in terms of identifying a problem, examining possible solutions, and suggesting ways in which to solve these problems (when he even acknowledges that there's a problem).

He's trying to skip out on the debates. When in recorded history has a presidential candidate tried to hide from a debate?

Yet, this race is close. I've given up trying to understand people.

faxman75
09-25-2008, 03:25 PM
word I totally feel your frustation, I just don't get it, it's fucking sad...

Might have to move to Chad.

chairmenmeow47
09-25-2008, 03:27 PM

He's an independent, maverick, challenging the way Washington is run...when he has to be.

He's selected the most inexperienced, under qualified, and possibly ignorant running mate in recent memory, and she's one sunburn away from being our president!

He's always 5 steps behind everyone in terms of identifying a problem, examining possible solutions, and suggesting ways in which to solve these problems (when he even acknowledges that there's a problem).

He's trying to skip out on the debates. When in recorded history has a presidential candidate tried to hide from a debate?

just remember, the same people probably voted for bush jr. BOTH times around. so you gotta remember what level of intelligence we're dealing with here.

Blinken
09-25-2008, 03:27 PM
/\ that works too.....that's a lot of mass murder to deal with though

It is, but do you really trust everyone to off themselves? I always say if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

paganman7
09-25-2008, 03:31 PM
just remember, the same people probably voted for bush jr. BOTH times around. so you gotta remember what level of intelligence we're dealing with here.

I think my problem is that I don't see HOW these people are receiving support from anyone. How, in the name of Yoda's green nutsack, can anyone willingly support Bush or McCain? Fucking HOW?

Quadromarshia
09-25-2008, 03:44 PM
My mom voted for Gore in '00....but then she voted for Bush in '04. But she didn't really know a lot about him; still blindly patriotic, and didn't know anything about what he had done like a lot of people did in '04.

Whatever, she voted for Ron Paul in the Florida Primary, and now she's even more outspoken against Bush than I am.

Young blood
09-25-2008, 03:47 PM
RON PAUL!

thestripe
09-25-2008, 04:19 PM
I don't think there is a chance in hell that Fridays debate is going to happen.

BROKENDOLL
09-25-2008, 04:37 PM
I think my problem is that I don't see HOW these people are receiving support from anyone. How, in the name of Yoda's green nutsack, can anyone willingly support Bush or McCain? Fucking HOW? http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/Master-Yoda.jpg http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/yodacat-1.jpg

Young blood
09-25-2008, 05:00 PM
hahahaha the bailout falied.

cansei de ser sexme
09-25-2008, 06:31 PM
A guy in my class today went babbling on about how he watches the O'reily factor every night with his mom. Also on the topic of mccain pulling out of the debate he said "it is good that someone finally decides to be a man and stand up for what he believes is right, anyways, obama would get crushed in a debate on foreign politics, why is he so eager to debate?". I am guessing that is verbatim what his mommy said when reading the paper this morning.

Backwater
09-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Bill O'Reilly, "I can't do it. We'll do it live. WE"LL DO IT LIVE! FUCK IT! FUCKING THING SUCKS!!"

so classic

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-25-2008, 06:37 PM
so the debate is still on eh?

humanoid
09-25-2008, 08:47 PM
It is, but do you really trust everyone to off themselves? I always say if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.

I like the way you're thinking

faxman75
09-25-2008, 11:20 PM
So, as someone broke hours ago on this board WAMU goes under, the idea of McCain and Obama being present seems to be more of a distraction than anything.

This is the wildest fucking presidential race in history. I don'teven have words. Some dude was pissed coming out of the meeting because Dubya wasn't there so how could they get anything done anyway? wild wild stuff

i'm kinda stoned so don't hold me too any of that very tightly.

talks resume 11:30am tomorrow morning. Washington is dicking around. A source in the room earlier today said McCain defferred all questions to an advisor. Crazy stuff. The sky be falling. Then I heard Palin answer questions about Israel, and that was distrurbing. She's like a terrible actress who can't remember any of her fucking lines.

faxman75
09-25-2008, 11:22 PM
CNN is no more fair and balanced than Fox, I just heard some pundit call Bush a high functioning moron. That made me laugh out loud.

Hannahrain
09-25-2008, 11:29 PM
This is the wildest fucking presidential race in history.

Every time an election happens people say it's the craziest one. Hey guys, remember Taft and his chorus line of horses in robot costumes? Man. That was one loony election! And what about Monroe? That crazy fucker nearly wound up in a Mexican prison as a result of overzealous campaigning. And remember the time Grant had six scantily clad women jump out of a red, white, and blue cake to try to gain favor with the more hormonal voters? Remember that? It feels like it was yesterday.

Hannahrain
09-25-2008, 11:32 PM
Sometimes I make so much sense that it's not even comprehensible.

C DUB YA
09-25-2008, 11:39 PM
CNN is no more fair and balanced than Fox, I just heard some pundit call Bush a high functioning moron. That made me laugh out loud.

Difference is - that's no lie.

Hannahrain
09-25-2008, 11:40 PM
Just because you agree with it doesn't mean it's not propaganda.

RotationSlimWang
09-25-2008, 11:56 PM
Every time an election happens people say it's the craziest one. Hey guys, remember Taft and his chorus line of horses in robot costumes? Man. That was one loony election! And what about Monroe? That crazy fucker nearly wound up in a Mexican prison as a result of overzealous campaigning. And remember the time Grant had six scantily clad women jump out of a red, white, and blue cake to try to gain favor with the more hormonal voters? Remember that? It feels like it was yesterday.

That's not true. No one called the Dole Clinton election crazy.

RotationSlimWang
09-25-2008, 11:56 PM
Just because you agree with it doesn't mean it's not propaganda.

Just because they're saying it on TV doesn't make it propaganda either.

PassiveTheory
09-26-2008, 12:04 AM

Obama is black, most white people distrust black people, he's a liberal and the Republicans have put a lot of work into explaining how the troubles of the last 8 years are the fault of high, minded liberal elitists like Barack Obama.

For the Dems to have won this by a mile, they would have needed a Democrat Goerge Bush to win. Someone like Chet Edwards, I guess.

No one will say it, but America isn't at all sure if it wants some "uppity negro" running the country.

Bosco
09-26-2008, 12:17 AM
Excellent. I can see Obama's Inauguration now.....

1usppbxZSzY

suprefan
09-26-2008, 12:18 AM
He so would bust out a gold tank....

boarderwoozel3
09-26-2008, 12:35 AM

Honestly now. I'm a little stunned. Have you seen The O'Reilly Factor or Hannity and Colmes?

boarderwoozel3
09-26-2008, 12:40 AM
Obama is black, most white people distrust black people, he's a liberal and the Republicans have put a lot of work into explaining how the troubles of the last 8 years are the fault of high, minded liberal elitists like Barack Obama.

For the Dems to have won this by a mile, they would have needed a Democrat Goerge Bush to win. Someone like Chet Edwards, I guess.

No one will say it, but America isn't at all sure if it wants some "uppity negro" running the country.

So explain the polling numbers going more and more in the "uppity negro's" favor.

You get way too freaked out by the Republican's BS messaging. Fear and smear worked in the last election, and got McPalin nice bump out of the RNC utilizing that tactic. The economic crisis is forcing both sides to run a cleaner race, that favors Obama. So be easy, it'll all work out.

faxman75
09-26-2008, 07:06 AM
Honestly now. I'm a little stunned. Have you seen The O'Reilly Factor or Hannity and Colmes?

Oh of course, I watched Bill O'Reilly harp on this commercial last night.

DHvJPGnkQxE

I'm not saying CNN is as bad or at least I didn't mean for it to sound that way but CNN and MSNBC do indeed have a slant.

C DUB YA
09-26-2008, 07:36 AM
Obama has nothing to do with that ad running though.

faxman75
09-26-2008, 07:42 AM
Of course not. I was talking about slants out there in general. In fact both CNN and Fox refused to air it. MSNBC however was ok with it. What an effed up commercial.

The irony is McCain/Fiengold legislation is partially responsible for it. heh. It's fucking dark and uses fear, that's for sure.

faxman75
09-26-2008, 07:44 AM
So, debate or no debate?

gaypalmsprings
09-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Obama is a master debater.

Quadromarshia
09-26-2008, 07:47 AM
Don't know if this one got board attention. First I heard about it was this morning:

UPDATE: Newspapers Deliver Millions of 'Terror' DVDs to Subscribers -- In 'Swing States'

By Greg Mitchell and Joe Strupp

Published: September 13, 2008 2:00 PM ET

NEW YORK The arrival of tens of millions of DVDs of a controversial film on doorsteps around the nation -- but almost exclusively in election "swing states" -- via newspaper home delivery continues this weekend, with explanatory articles and subscriber feedback appearing on some of the papers' Web sites.

The DVDs of the 60-minute film, made in 2005, and titled "Obsession: Radical Islam's War Against the West," arrived Saturday with, among other papers, the Charlotte Observer and the News & Observer in Raleigh, with delivery with the Miami Herald and other papers set for Sunday. (To watch a clip see link below.)

Other Florida papers to distribute it on Sunday included the major dailies in St. Petersburg, Tampa, Fort Myers and Orlando. But it also showed up in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, among others.

Despite some protests from Muslim and liberal activists, the newspapers -- all hard hit by drops in ad revenue in recent months -- have explained that the DVD does not violate their usual standards; see our exchange with The New York Times below. A spokesperson there said the Times last Sunday inserted 145,000 DVDs in its papers delivered in the following markets: Denver, Miami/Palm Beach, Tampa, Orlando, Detroit, Kansas City, St Louis, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee/Madison. Note: These are all in swing states.

The documentary showcases scenes of Muslim children being encouraged to become suicide bombers, interspersed with shots of Nazi rallies. 'The threat of Radical Islam is the most important issue facing us today,'' reads the sleeve of the DVD. ''But it's a topic that neither the presidential candidates nor the media are discussing openly. It's our responsibility to ensure we can all make an informed vote in November.''

It was shown on Fox News just before the 2006 mid-term elections, and conservative activist David Horowitz screened the film on college campuses during 2007. An article at the group's site, www.radicalislam.org, all but endorsed John McCain this past week, then was pulled down. The DVD carries on-screen text near the outset that it is not indicting most Muslims.

An article at the site of the Morning-Call in Allentown, Pa. today reveals that it will be inserted in the Sunday paper there tomorrow. It continues: "A call to Clarion wasn't returned, but the nonprofit's spokesman, Gregory Ross, told the Harrisburg Patriot-News this week that 28 million copies of the DVD are being distributed nationwide throughout September. He said the intent is not to sway voters' opinions about the presidential candidates."

It has already been packaged with dozens of large papers, such as the Denver Post and Columbus Dispatch. Another article explaining the delivery runs online at the News & Observer.

E&P asked New York Times Co. spokeswoman Diane McNulty about the policy on this insert. She replied:

"We believe the broad principles of freedom of the press confer on us an obligation to keep our advertising columns as open as possible. Therefore our acceptance or rejection of an advertisement does not depend on whether it coincides with our editorial positions. In fact, there are many instances when we have published opinion advertisements that run counter to the stance we take on our own editorial pages.

"We do require that opinion advertisements include the name of the sponsoring organization and a mailing address or a telephone number. This enables our readers to communicate directly with the sponsor should they seek additional information or wish to express agreement or disagreement with the advertised message. This advertisement complied with these requirements. The address on the advertisement was The Clarion Fund, 255 West 36th Street Suite 800 New York, NY 10018."

Asked about the rate paid, she answered: "We do not disclose the rate any one advertiser pays."

Quadromarshia
09-26-2008, 07:49 AM
With distrabution continuing this weekend, that doesn't sound like McCain suspending his campaign.

faxman75
09-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Today is my day off and i'm glued to the tv. Pathetic.

thestripe
09-26-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm sure under normal circumstances you would be out there exercising, right Faxman? Right.

arbouler
09-26-2008, 08:52 AM
John McCain's decision to suspend his campaign was made in the hopes that politics could be set aside to address our economic crisis.

In response, Americans saw a familiar spectacle in Washington. At a moment of crisis that threatened the economic security of American families, Washington played the blame game rather than work together to find a solution that would avert a collapse of financial markets without squandering hundreds of billions of taxpayers' money to bailout bankers and brokers who bet their fortunes on unsafe lending practices.

Both parties in both houses of Congress and the administration needed to come together to find a solution that would deserve the trust of the American people. And while there were attempts to do that, much of yesterday was spent fighting over who would get the credit for a deal and who would get the blame for failure. There was no deal or offer yesterday that had a majority of support in Congress. There was no deal yesterday that included adequate protections for the taxpayers. It is not enough to cut deals behind closed doors and then try to force it on the rest of Congress -- especially when it amounts to thousands of dollars for every American family.

The difference between Barack Obama and John McCain was apparent during the White House meeting yesterday where Barack Obama's priority was political posturing in his opening monologue defending the package as it stands. John McCain listened to all sides so he could help focus the debate on finding a bipartisan resolution that is in the interest of taxpayers and homeowners. The Democratic interests stood together in opposition to an agreement that would accommodate additional taxpayer protections.

Senator McCain has spent the morning talking to members of the Administration, members of the Senate, and members of the House. He is optimistic that there has been significant progress toward a bipartisan agreement now that there is a framework for all parties to be represented in negotiations, including Representative Blunt as a designated negotiator for House Republicans. The McCain campaign is resuming all activities and the Senator will travel to the debate this afternoon. Following the debate, he will return to Washington to ensure that all voices and interests are represented in the final agreement, especially those of taxpayers and homeowners.

this guy does realize that if he wins, nobody wants to work with him. even the republican house reps. hate him.

allyjoy
09-26-2008, 08:56 AM
To quote Chris Rock on Larrry King last night:
"I'd rather vote for the guy with one house because if he loses his house, he's homeless... McCain could lose half his houses and still sleep comfortably at night."

paganman7
09-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Prediction:

Obama is going to obliterate McCain in tonight's debate. Then the McCain nutjobs are going to spin their annihilation by saying that while McCain was in Washington, oops, Warshintin, trying to save the country from a financial crisis, Obama was conducting dress rehearsals and polishing his talking points.

You can take that shit to the fucking bank!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-26-2008, 10:18 AM
I read in the economist some months back about how to handle the banking crisis and what some countries did...I noted that the US is doing similar things to what the Nordic countries did..I can't find the article online but the NYT posted something similar to the economist one a few days ago..

TimesPeople
The New York Times
Printer Friendly Format Sponsored By

September 23, 2008
Stopping a Financial Crisis, the Swedish Way
By CARTER DOUGHERTY

A banking system in crisis after the collapse of a housing bubble. An economy hemorrhaging jobs. A market-oriented government struggling to stem the panic. Sound familiar?

It does to Sweden. The country was so far in the hole in 1992 — after years of imprudent regulation, short-sighted economic policy and the end of its property boom — that its banking system was, for all practical purposes, insolvent.

But Sweden took a different course than the one now being proposed by the United States Treasury. And Swedish officials say there are lessons from their own nightmare that Washington may be missing.

Sweden did not just bail out its financial institutions by having the government take over the bad debts. It extracted pounds of flesh from bank shareholders before writing checks. Banks had to write down losses and issue warrants to the government.

That strategy held banks responsible and turned the government into an owner. When distressed assets were sold, the profits flowed to taxpayers, and the government was able to recoup more money later by selling its shares in the companies as well.

“If I go into a bank,” said Bo Lundgren, who was Sweden’s finance minister at the time, “I’d rather get equity so that there is some upside for the taxpayer.”

Sweden spent 4 percent of its gross domestic product, or 65 billion kronor, the equivalent of $11.7 billion at the time, or $18.3 billion in today’s dollars, to rescue ailing banks. That is slightly less, proportionate to the national economy, than the $700 billion, or roughly 5 percent of gross domestic product, that the Bush administration estimates its own move will cost in the United States.

But the final cost to Sweden ended up being less than 2 percent of its G.D.P. Some officials say they believe it was closer to zero, depending on how certain rates of return are calculated.

The tumultuous events of the last few weeks have produced a lot of tight-lipped nods in Stockholm. Mr. Lundgren even made the rounds in New York in early September, explaining what the country did in the early 1990s.

A few American commentators have proposed that the United States government extract equity from banks as a price for their rescue. But it does not seem to be under serious consideration yet in the Bush administration or Congress.

The reason is not quite clear. The government has already swapped its sovereign guarantee for equity in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the mortgage finance institutions, and the American International Group, the global insurance giant.

Putting taxpayers on the hook without anything in return could be a mistake, said Urban Backstrom, a senior Swedish finance ministry official at the time. “The public will not support a plan if you leave the former shareholders with anything,” he said.

The Swedish crisis had strikingly similar origins to the American one, and its neighbors, Norway and Finland, were hobbled to the point of needing a government bailout to escape the morass as well.

Financial deregulation in the 1980s fed a frenzy of real estate lending by Sweden’s banks, which did not worry enough about whether the value of their collateral might evaporate in tougher times.

Property prices imploded. The bubble deflated fast in 1991 and 1992. A vain effort to defend Sweden’s currency, the krona, caused overnight interest rates to spike at one point to 500 percent. The Swedish economy contracted for two consecutive years after a long expansion, and unemployment, at 3 percent in 1990, quadrupled in three years.

After a series of bank failures and ad hoc solutions, the moment of truth arrived in September 1992, when the government of Prime Minister Carl Bildt decided it was time to clear the decks.

Standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the opposition center-left, Mr. Bildt’s conservative government announced that the Swedish state would guarantee all bank deposits and creditors of the nation’s 114 banks. Sweden formed a new agency to supervise institutions that needed recapitalization, and another that sold off the assets, mainly real estate, that the banks held as collateral.

Sweden told its banks to write down their losses promptly before coming to the state for recapitalization. Facing its own problem later in the decade, Japan made the mistake of dragging this process out, delaying a solution for years.

Then came the imperative to bleed shareholders first. Mr. Lundgren recalls a conversation with Peter Wallenberg, at the time chairman of SEB, Sweden’s largest bank. Mr. Wallenberg, the scion of the country’s most famous family and steward of large chunks of its economy, heard that there would be no sacred cows.

The Wallenbergs turned around and arranged a recapitalization on their own, obviating the need for a bailout. SEB turned a profit the following year, 1993.

“For every krona we put into the bank, we wanted the same influence,” Mr. Lundgren said. “That ensured that we did not have to go into certain banks at all.”

By the end of the crisis, the Swedish government had seized a vast portion of the banking sector, and the agency had mostly fulfilled its hard-nosed mandate to drain share capital before injecting cash. When markets stabilized, the Swedish state then reaped the benefits by taking the banks public again.

More money may yet come into official coffers. The government still owns 19.9 percent of Nordea, a Stockholm bank that was fully nationalized and is now a highly regarded giant in Scandinavia and the Baltic Sea region.

The politics of Sweden’s crisis management were similarly tough-minded, though much quieter.

Soon after the plan was announced, the Swedish government found that international confidence returned more quickly than expected, easing pressure on its currency and bringing money back into the country. The center-left opposition, while wary that the government might yet let the banks off the hook, made its points about penalizing shareholders privately.

“The only thing that held back an avalanche was the hope that the system was holding,” said Leif Pagrotzky, a senior member of the opposition at the time. “In public we stuck together 100 percent, but we fought behind the scenes.”

canexplain
09-26-2008, 10:20 AM
yea he's back ... which might be a good thing ....x****

Quadromarshia
09-26-2008, 10:26 AM
“The only thing that held back an avalanche was the hope that the system was holding,” said Leif Pagrotzky, a senior member of the opposition at the time. “In public we stuck together 100 percent, but we fought behind the scenes.”

I have nothing witty or snarky to say to that. We all know how it is here.

boarderwoozel3
09-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Prediction:

Obama is going to obliterate McCain in tonight's debate. Then the McCain nutjobs are going to spin their annihilation by saying that while McCain was in Washington, oops, Warshintin, trying to save the country from a financial crisis, Obama was conducting dress rehearsals and polishing his talking points.

You can take that shit to the fucking bank!

You're right. Fox News will try and spin that shit. Obama is decently covered though. He too was in Warshintin to make sure if anything went down he could be on hand. But McCain was going to get waxed anyway. If this debate goes poorly for McCain the election could slip too far out of reach given how weak he's looked in the past two weeks. This has been his biggest blunder to date.

If Obama doesn't recite/bring up McCain's quote that, "the foundation of America's economy is strong" I'm sending anthrax to to all his advisers.

Quadromarshia
09-26-2008, 10:29 AM
If Obama doesn't recite/bring up McCain's quote that, "the foundation of America's economy is strong" I'm sending anthrax to to all his advisers.

Careful with that kind of talk, you might get Patriot Act'd.

invisiblerobots
09-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Apparently he already thinks he won. (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2008/09/mccain_wins_debate.html)
http://slog.thestranger.com/files/2008/09/McCain_Wins_Debate.JPG

sbessiso
09-26-2008, 10:30 AM
I'm so excited. Obama is hands down, the man. He made me want to register to vote.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-26-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm so excited. Obama is hands down, the man. He made me want to register to vote.

you better...you live in a swing state...

arbouler
09-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Apparently he already thinks he won. (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2008/09/mccain_wins_debate.html)
http://slog.thestranger.com/files/2008/09/McCain_Wins_Debate.JPG

lol. here's a screenshot (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/images/26Sep_Friday_WSJ.JPG)

i dunno if obama will win handily if the issue is just national security. plus he takes his time to answer questions. he's a bit too thoughtful and comes across as uh, slow during debates.

hes great doing stump speeches with teleprompter but just above average impromptu. i'll just keep my expectations low for obama.

sbessiso
09-26-2008, 10:37 AM
you better...you live in a swing state...

Dude, I know. But we've been red for so long! From what I can gather though, McCain has lost lots of heat in North Florida which is primarily the red part. Exciting!!!

boarderwoozel3
09-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Of course not. I was talking about slants out there in general. In fact both CNN and Fox refused to air it. MSNBC however was ok with it. What an effed up commercial.

The irony is McCain/Fiengold legislation is partially responsible for it. heh. It's fucking dark and uses fear, that's for sure.

I totally agree that CNN and MSNBC have their leanings. Look no further than Cafferty and Olberman, ha, Olberman has called Bush a fascist on air before. But they aren't stiiting up there spewing total BS on made up issues 24/7. I trust their coverage much more than their contemporaries at "the news station that shall not be named."

And that commercial isn't fucked up at all because its 1. True, and 2. a very serious condition that could effect his ability to be president or kill him in office. With an inexperienced bimbo like Palin waiting in the wings thats a pretty fucking horrifying proposition.

The %100 false swift boat ads of 2004 were fucked up. Thats the equivalent of someone running ads saying John McCain isn't patriotic and a shitty solider because he got captured, and put his fellow soldiers a risk in the process with his recklessness.

boarderwoozel3
09-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Dude, I know. But we've been red for so long! From what I can gather though, McCain has lost lots of heat in North Florida which is primarily the red part. Exciting!!!

You're streak is one election. Gore won in 2000 but apparently good 'ole Jeb took those ballot thingys a mere suggestion.

boarderwoozel3
09-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Careful with that kind of talk, you might get Patriot Act'd.

Meh. If it got to that point it would become very clear that a near broke college student who avoids science classes like the plague probably isn't too much of a threat. Comm majors holla back!

sbessiso
09-26-2008, 10:48 AM
you're so right, but our governors have been republican for awhile. well I dont remember before Jeb, but now we have this Crist dude. I dont know much about him. I dont know much about politics and I dont pretend to. I know enough and I know I love Obama and hate McCain but most of all I despise Palin. I cannot stomach interviews with her.

BARACK TO THE FUTURE!!

Quadromarshia
09-26-2008, 10:49 AM
You're streak is one election. Gore won in 2000 but apparently good 'ole Jeb took those ballot thingys a mere suggestion.

A very proud moment in Florida's history

amyzzz
09-26-2008, 10:50 AM
you're so right, but our governors have been republican for awhile. well I dont remember before Jeb, but now we have this Crist dude. I dont know much about him. I dont know much about politics and I dont pretend to. I know enough and I know I love Obama and hate McCain but most of all I despise Palin. I cannot stomach interviews with her.

BARACK TO THE FUTURE!!
We have a Democrat governor here in AZ, and most times she's a great counter-balance to the right-wing nuts we have in state legislature, although I don't get what her deal is with the fascist speed cameras she wants to put up all over the state. WTF?? (off-topic, sorry)

sbessiso
A very proud moment in Florida's history

We have so many to choose from.

kreutz2112
product placement.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/09/26/debate.mississippi/t1home.1255.mccains.ap.jpg

sbessiso
09-26-2008, 10:51 AM
oh sweet jesus....starfux

Quadromarshia
09-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Speed cameras are cheaper then paying a highway officer to do the same job.

What's the big deal if you're not speeding?

Quadromarshia
09-26-2008, 10:52 AM
We have so many to choose from.

Florida- Come for our Oranges, stay for our corrupt, boy-loving politicians.

sbessiso
09-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Wasnt Bush in FL during the whole 9/11 attack when he was reading that book to the kids in school?

Also, the terrorists that hijacked the planes took the flyign classes here in Fl

there's that whole Elian Gonzalez nightmare

canexplain
09-26-2008, 10:54 AM
"The %100 false swift boat ads of 2004 were fucked up. Thats the equivalent of someone running ads saying John McCain isn't patriotic and a shitty solider because he got captured, and put his fellow soldiers a risk in the process with his recklessness."

i have heard that though from other pow's. macbush cracked (which i know i would but that is besides the point) after 3 days ... they said because of that "who knows how many of our fellow soldiers died" ... hard to say, but they were there ... plus he made 30 tapes of the autrocities the US did in nam .... i never heard them, but i am guessing most of it was true anyway ... plus on recklesness, there is also that aircraft mess that witnesses there said big mac directly caused the death of 138 (?) soldiers, but that was swept under the carpet .... x****

Quadromarshia
09-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Wasnt Bush in FL during the whole 9/11 attack when he was reading that book to the kids in school?

Also, the terrorists that hijacked the planes took the flyign classes here in Fl

there's that whole Elian Gonzalez nightmare

All good points. All within the last 10 years as well. I love it.

sbessiso
09-26-2008, 10:58 AM
I used to mentally keep a list of all of FL's stupid shit that put us in the news. I know I'm forgetting a shit ton

Quadromarshia
09-26-2008, 10:59 AM
I used to mentally keep a list of all of FL's stupid shit that put us in the news. I know I'm forgetting a shit ton

And being a South Floridian, it's hard enough keeping up with all the corruption and murder AND keeping up with all the backwards stories from North/Central.

amyzzz
09-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Speed cameras are cheaper then paying a highway officer to do the same job.

What's the big deal if you're not speeding?
I actually haven't been speeding as much (to save gas), but they still make me paranoid.

JustSteve
09-26-2008, 11:03 AM

all you had to do was listen to adam corolla's "germany or florida", that shit was great...

chairmenmeow47
09-26-2008, 11:24 AM
all you had to do was listen to adam corolla's "germany or florida", that shit was great...

ha ha ha ha ha, that shit was great. i think of that all the time. i loved the DAG theme too!

and i like napoletano too, amy! (don't think i spelled that right though)

Blinken
09-26-2008, 11:26 AM
"The %100 false swift boat ads of 2004 were fucked up. Thats the equivalent of someone running ads saying John McCain isn't patriotic and a shitty solider because he got captured, and put his fellow soldiers a risk in the process with his recklessness."

i have heard that though from other pow's. macbush cracked (which i know i would but that is besides the point) after 3 days ... they said because of that "who knows how many of our fellow soldiers died" ... hard to say, but they were there ... plus he made 30 tapes of the autrocities the US did in nam .... i never heard them, but i am guessing most of it was true anyway ... plus on recklesness, there is also that aircraft mess that witnesses there said big mac directly caused the death of 138 (?) soldiers, but that was swept under the carpet .... x****

I have been wondering about the Aircraft incident for awhile. Now wouldn't that be an October surprise to find evidence that it McCain who fired the missle on the carrier?

allyjoy
09-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Blink, you are an evil genius

amyzzz
09-26-2008, 12:10 PM
I know there are some old Phoenix New Times articles questioning McCain's POW time, but I don't know if I want to take the time to search for it. Should be at phoenixnewtimes.com or something.

SoulDischarge
09-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Don't know if this one got board attention. First I heard about it was this morning:

UPDATE: Newspapers Deliver Millions of 'Terror' DVDs to Subscribers -- In 'Swing States'

By Greg Mitchell and Joe Strupp

Published: September 13, 2008 2:00 PM ET

NEW YORK The arrival of tens of millions of DVDs of a controversial film on doorsteps around the nation -- but almost exclusively in election "swing states" -- via newspaper home delivery continues this weekend, with explanatory articles and subscriber feedback appearing on some of the papers' Web sites.

The DVDs of the 60-minute film, made in 2005, and titled "Obsession: Radical Islam's War Against the West," arrived Saturday with, among other papers, the Charlotte Observer and the News & Observer in Raleigh, with delivery with the Miami Herald and other papers set for Sunday. (To watch a clip see link below.)

Other Florida papers to distribute it on Sunday included the major dailies in St. Petersburg, Tampa, Fort Myers and Orlando. But it also showed up in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, among others.

Despite some protests from Muslim and liberal activists, the newspapers -- all hard hit by drops in ad revenue in recent months -- have explained that the DVD does not violate their usual standards; see our exchange with The New York Times below. A spokesperson there said the Times last Sunday inserted 145,000 DVDs in its papers delivered in the following markets: Denver, Miami/Palm Beach, Tampa, Orlando, Detroit, Kansas City, St Louis, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee/Madison. Note: These are all in swing states.

The documentary showcases scenes of Muslim children being encouraged to become suicide bombers, interspersed with shots of Nazi rallies. 'The threat of Radical Islam is the most important issue facing us today,'' reads the sleeve of the DVD. ''But it's a topic that neither the presidential candidates nor the media are discussing openly. It's our responsibility to ensure we can all make an informed vote in November.''

It was shown on Fox News just before the 2006 mid-term elections, and conservative activist David Horowitz screened the film on college campuses during 2007. An article at the group's site, www.radicalislam.org, all but endorsed John McCain this past week, then was pulled down. The DVD carries on-screen text near the outset that it is not indicting most Muslims.

An article at the site of the Morning-Call in Allentown, Pa. today reveals that it will be inserted in the Sunday paper there tomorrow. It continues: "A call to Clarion wasn't returned, but the nonprofit's spokesman, Gregory Ross, told the Harrisburg Patriot-News this week that 28 million copies of the DVD are being distributed nationwide throughout September. He said the intent is not to sway voters' opinions about the presidential candidates."

It has already been packaged with dozens of large papers, such as the Denver Post and Columbus Dispatch. Another article explaining the delivery runs online at the News & Observer.

E&P asked New York Times Co. spokeswoman Diane McNulty about the policy on this insert. She replied:

"We believe the broad principles of freedom of the press confer on us an obligation to keep our advertising columns as open as possible. Therefore our acceptance or rejection of an advertisement does not depend on whether it coincides with our editorial positions. In fact, there are many instances when we have published opinion advertisements that run counter to the stance we take on our own editorial pages.

"We do require that opinion advertisements include the name of the sponsoring organization and a mailing address or a telephone number. This enables our readers to communicate directly with the sponsor should they seek additional information or wish to express agreement or disagreement with the advertised message. This advertisement complied with these requirements. The address on the advertisement was The Clarion Fund, 255 West 36th Street Suite 800 New York, NY 10018."

Asked about the rate paid, she answered: "We do not disclose the rate any one advertiser pays."

We've gotten two copies of this sent to us so far. And I've seen a copy laying around most every other house I've visited recently too.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Maybe McCain stayed at the POW camp because he felt guilty?

boarderwoozel3
09-26-2008, 12:18 PM
product placement.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/09/26/debate.mississippi/t1home.1255.mccains.ap.jpg

Oh I see how it is. What happened to small business McCain? Starbucks isn't exactly supporting the local mom & pops joint. But in all fairness an aide was sent to get that coffee/espresso/evil cunt fuel.

sbessiso
09-26-2008, 12:24 PM
I get terrible flashbacks just looking at that cup

boarderwoozel3
09-26-2008, 12:25 PM
I get terrible flashbacks just looking at that cup

I said extra hot and no foam! aaaAAAAARRRGRGGRGRGRGRRRRRRRSAAAAAAAXZZZZZZZZ!

sbessiso
09-26-2008, 12:28 PM
I dont even mind those orders anymore (kinda). we have all these new drinks that I swear to god, every time I make, I lose a piece of my soul

boarderwoozel3
09-26-2008, 12:31 PM
What new drinks? The pumpkin/strawberry/egg nogg whatevers?

amyzzz
09-26-2008, 12:32 PM
I :pulse pumpkin in bread-type stuff, but NOT in liquids. What are they, Hogwarts or something?

locachica73
09-26-2008, 12:34 PM
oooh i love the pumpkin spice lattes in the fall. those are my favorite. I have given up Starbucks due to lack of funds but come October when they get those back I will have to let loose and get myself one. YUMMM

sbessiso
09-26-2008, 12:35 PM
the pumpkin one is ok, it smells and tastes like crayola but we have this smoothie thing called a Vivanno (another fake starbux word) that has all this nasty ass protein powder and "one whole banana"

But what takes the cake isnt even a drink....its oatmeal. motherfucking oatmeal. it's called "perfect oatmeal" even though its regular old instant quaker oats. it's fucking awful man.

and then theres good old fashioned frappucinos. Those particularly rape my soul. we opened the store today and 7am this stupid bitch comes in and orders the biggest mocha frapp with whip. so nasty. diabetes in a cup first thing in the morning

but Im getting waaaay off topic now

OBAMA FO YO MAMA!

bmack86
09-26-2008, 12:57 PM
I lived next door to McCain's POW cell mate for a number of years. The guy never said anything about him breaking down. He told us their story once. Pretty intense.