PDA

View Full Version : A QUICK LIVE SWELL SEASON REVIEW

C DUB YA
09-24-2008, 03:51 AM
Went to their show at the Palace Theater in Columbus on Monday, and I got to tell ya - one of the best shows (and definitely the best so far this year) I've have ever witnessed.

Those of you who kinda know me, know that's a lofty statement - but it's nothing but the truth.

Glen is one of those rare guys that just oozes talent out of every pore - you can feel coming off the stage when he plays. I've always liked the Frames, but never saw them until now (They where he and Marketa's backing back of sorts) I am still kinda floored thinking about it.

Another cool thing is how nice he is - you can feel that too. (His friends) Bell X1 were in town playing another venue on the same night, so Glen taxi-ed them over and had a couple of them come out and play 2 songs before The Swell Season went on. Bonus.

Only did two cover tunes this night, making room for the rarely played The Hill (from Once). He covered Van Morrison and it was so amazing, his guitar playing is second to none on it. During the encore, before they played Fitzcarraldo, Glen let the band (and guitar tech Simon) jam out to War Pigs by Black Sabbath. It was fun and you could see everyone having a great time.

Another note: Lies (from Once) was also played during the encore even though it wasn't on the setlist

(see setlist below!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18097936@N00/2880757727/

MarkO
09-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Nice one.

I've seen The Frames 11 or so times and it's nice to see him & them make it big finally. I just hope he doesn't abandon The Frames as a band.

Fitzcaraldo is some track, isn't it ?

sbessiso
09-24-2008, 09:36 AM
I would love to see them, I really would. They conflicted with the raconteurs at Coachella AND Bonnaroo!

MarkO
09-24-2008, 10:35 AM
I only got to see them this year as they played Primavera. I wasn't missing The Racs at Coachella for anything.

C DUB YA
09-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Nice one.

Fitzcaraldo is some track, isn't it ?

really grand

TommyboyUNM
09-24-2008, 12:16 PM
That is awesome to hear. I'm seeing them here in Burque in 6 days. I saw their first 3 songs at Bonnaroo, but then made my way over to catch The Raconteurs entire set. The Swell Season did give me chills, though, for the short time I was there. Glen is ridiculously talented and one of the better front men out there. I'm really looking forward to seeing their entire set.

sbessiso
09-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Consider me jealous

Somewhat Damaged
09-24-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm gonna be catching them next Thursday with Iron & Wine. Is he playing with them on very many dates of this tour? Can't wait for that show. And I'm glad to hear they're playing "Lies," as that and "Leave" are my faves off the Once soundtrack.

aeroplanee
09-24-2008, 08:45 PM
People Get Ready would be such an epic closer.

I really want to go to the show at the Greek in LA but I'm already spending too much on shows next week anyways, *sigh*

TommyboyUNM
09-24-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm gonna be catching them next Thursday with Iron & Wine. Is he playing with them on very many dates of this tour? Can't wait for that show. And I'm glad to hear they're playing "Lies," as that and "Leave" are my faves off the Once soundtrack.

He's opening for them here in Albuquerque, I know that. I think it's for most of the dates too.

MissingPerson
09-25-2008, 06:18 AM
Nearly cycled over Glen Hansard once. Didn't mean to, but I really don't think he knows how close he was to at least a broken ankle.

MarkO
09-25-2008, 06:45 AM
He signed my ticket for me a few years back at a show in Boston at The Paradise. They were playing with Calexico and were on first. After their set, I went back out to the front bar to get a pint and I watched the other band set up (bar is completely seperate from the music venue). They were a Zep cover band called Lard Zeppelin complete with a 350lb lead singer. He nailed every note too. I looked to my right at one point and Glen was standing there, as shocked as I was.

Later I found out it was J.Mascis on drums for Lard Zeppelin .....

C DUB YA
09-25-2008, 07:03 AM
People Get Ready would be such an epic closer.

I really want to go to the show at the Greek in LA but I'm already spending too much on shows next week anyways, *sigh*

GO!

Don't even think about it - just go! You'll thank me later.

C DUB YA
09-25-2008, 07:06 AM

I failed to mention he covered Van Morrison's Astral Weeks - and that was one of the MANY highlights of the show - his strumming is at supersonic speed during that - it will leave mouths gaping.

They also have been covering at least 3 different Pixies tunes during the tour - including: Debaser, Levitate Me, and Cactus We didn't get any in Columbus, but we did get Sabbath to make up for it (hehe)

People Get Ready was the perfect closer... we even had a sing along at the end, put a smile on everyone's face and sent them home wanting more.

MarkO
09-25-2008, 10:53 AM
I really need to find a way to get some boots I have to you guys. Can I zip a folder of mp3's and put it on megaupload or something ? There is one boot I have of The Frames doing 2hrs on a radio show in Ireland years ago. All sorts of weird and wonderful covers.

C DUB YA
09-25-2008, 11:50 AM
from the columbus show

here's the War Pigs cover:

aTlqoiDjQrs

Somewhat Damaged
09-26-2008, 03:46 PM
I really need to find a way to get some boots I have to you guys. Can I zip a folder of mp3's and put it on megaupload or something ? There is one boot I have of The Frames doing 2hrs on a radio show in Ireland years ago. All sorts of weird and wonderful covers.

Please do that and post the link in this thread. I know I, for one, would appreciate it.

MarkO
09-26-2008, 04:04 PM
ok. I will try, I have a lot going on at the moment so it might be a few days.

TommyboyUNM
09-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Just got back from the show. It was really damn good. I've decided that Glen Hansard is one of the better front men out there. Actually, this show just hammered that home because I've thought that since I heard him. Every song had a nice buildup and was pretty epic. The violin player was good and played a cool song toward the end of the show. They did a cover of Neil Young's "Albuquerque" for obvious reasons and that got the crowd pretty excited. Hopefully soon this band will shake the tag of being "the band from that movie." Iron & Wine was a bit boring, but I've never like him (them?) so that was to be expected. Overall it was a really good night.

Backwater
09-30-2008, 10:22 PM
If they would have done a cover of Wierd Al's "Albuquerque" I would have been really impressed.

TommyboyUNM
09-30-2008, 10:27 PM
If they would have done a cover of Wierd Al's "Albuquerque" I would have been really impressed.

That probably would've been more surprising, that's for sure. I know it seems like we have similar music tastes. How do you feel about The Swell Season?

Backwater
09-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Love them, although I only caught a few minutes of them at Coachella because of conflicts. Anyone that does Pixies covers and doesn't completely butcher them, is gold in my book.

Cpt. Funkaho
09-30-2008, 10:33 PM
They were awesome at Coachella. Watching their show was the hardest decision I made all weekend- had to skip out on the last song of the Raconteurs' set, plus miss Aesop Rock (I still can't believe I did this) and Aphex Twin, who were playing opposite. I did it for my girlfriend, who was with me.

I was abundantly rewarded- not only did Swell Season/The Frames play an excellent show, they did a couple of awesome covers, one of which was "Cactus" by the Pixies, which was, in a word, epic.

N2y0fY9LzWY

God, that was a good show.

TommyboyUNM
09-30-2008, 10:41 PM
Love them, although I only caught a few minutes of them at Coachella because of conflicts. Anyone that does Pixies covers and doesn't completely butcher them, is gold in my book.

Yeah I only saw 3 songs of theirs at Bonnaroo because I wanted to see all of The Raconteurs' set. I was rewarded with a really good set by The Racs and I made up for missing The Swell Season with tonight's show.

summerkid
10-03-2008, 12:14 PM
seeing them tonight taking my dad for his birthday.

summerkid
10-03-2008, 10:58 PM
wow, seriously amazing show tonight. I didn't really go in there expecting much as I'm a casual fan, but they blew me away.

Somewhat Damaged
10-04-2008, 08:52 AM
I enjoyed Iron & Wine more than the Swell Season the other night. Of my 3 favorite songs of his, he only played one, but it was probably my absolute favorite, "Resurrection Fern," so I was very happy. The Swell Season started out strong, with Glen alone on "Say It to Me Now," but there were some technical difficulties during "Falling Slowly." "When Your Mind's Made Up" was amazing, as was "Leave." Unfortunately, they played a lot of songs that I wasn't familiar with otherwise, and they talked for, like, 10 minutes in introducing every song that wasn't in Once. I felt like yelling out "Get on with playing the song already," but was more respectful than that. It wasn't that Glen's not an engaging storyteller, it was just that it was getting late and I had a 2-hour drive afterward awaiting me. I was going to stay till they played "Lies" or "The Field," but at 10:30 and with them playing a few slow songs in a row, I had to get out of there. It's disappointing that Iron & Wine played more songs in his 45 minutes than they did in the hour and 15 minutes that I caught of theirs. Oh well.

IdiotequeThom
10-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Great show last night. I can't say it was one of the "best shows of my life" but it was certainly better than their set at Coachella. The new songs sound great; apparently they are getting ready to record a second album. I wonder what's going to happen to the Frames....
Anyway, I thought it was interesting that they would choose to play "Falling Slowly" so early since it was the only song anyone around me knew. For me, the highlights were When Your Mind's Made Up, Leave, Astral Weeks, Maybe I Was Born to Hold You In These Arms, and Fitzcarraldo.

setlist:
1. Say It To Me Now
2. Falling Slowly
3. The Moon
4. When Your Mind's Made Up
5. I Have Loved You Wrong
6. This Low
7. Leave
8. What Happens When the Heart Just Stops
9. Astral Weeks (Van Morrison cover)
10. Happiness
11. Maybe I Was Born to Hold You in These Arms
12. Low Rising
13. Lies

14. If You Want Me
15. Blue Shoes (violin solo)
16. Fitzcarraldo
17. People Get Ready

MarkO
10-04-2008, 11:46 AM
......... they talked for, like, 10 minutes in introducing every song that wasn't in Once. I felt like yelling out "Get on with playing the song already," but was more respectful than that.......

That's Glen for you. :)

MarkO
10-06-2008, 09:46 PM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WSV8UYIE

I have not used megaupload before so apologies if this doesn't work. It's supposed to be their set from the 'Here Comes The Night' show with Donal Dineen on Century Radio, Ireland. The quality is just ok, 128k mp3 but if you're a fan, you'll like this set. Some great stuff.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IHAB1U49

Glen Hansard solo show from M Club, Valmez, Czech Republic, 2001. Good quality and a really nice show.

MarkO
10-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Did any of you try these ? What do you think ?

tessalasset
10-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Wow I didn't even see this thread existed. I was all by my lonesome in the Upcoming Shows thread. I'll re-post my reviews/videos here. marko I'm dling right now so I'll let you know what I think tomorrow.

10/4 4:30 pm -
So I just got back from Swell Season at the Open Air Theatre in San Diego. That was my seventh time seeing them in a year and a half, and it was by far the best show I've ever seen of theirs. Fucking ridiculous. The crowd was totally in to it - after a while Glen commented about how this was supposed to be a big arena rock show for them and it felt more like he was just hanging out with us. Everyone was super respectful (minus one guy who yelled at Glen to stop telling an intro story and just play the song, and ended up getting ridiculed for the rest of the show) and the band played a TON of new songs. Almost all of the Frames were there. I love how Swell Season shows now are essentially Frames shows featuring Marketa Irglova. One of their new songs nearly brought me to tears (five-part harmony), and I was simply amazed that I could still get chills after seeing them so many times. And Iron and Wine was better than I could have imagined. He left the stage to a full standing ovation. I am beyond excited for the Greek show tonight. If anyone here is going - you are in for a HUGE fucking treat.

10/5 2:30 am -
Just got back from Swell Season at the Greek. Just as good as last night. Maybe even better, actually. They played a longer set. Glen played Say It To Me Now acoustic. Like...unplugged acoustic. Just walked out to the edge of the stage at the fucking GREEK and belted it out for everyone up at the top of section C. It was amazing. The first time he ever did that was at the El Rey show last year when his cord broke so he decided to just go for it without amplification. It's nice to see he's keeping that around cause it makes it fucking unreal. They did a lot of new ones again, switched up the order, Marketa sang the entire version of "The Hill" (the one in Once where she's sitting at the piano and breaks down in tears halfway through), and at the end of the show, they brough out the fucking dude who wrote the songs in Jungle Book and Mary Poppins, and he sat down at the piano and sang Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious with them. It was probably the biggest "what the fuck?" moment of my entire life. The whole band just kinda sat there in awe of him. The crowd was pretty rad again. Totally sold out. A few people gave him shit again for his stories (they did last night too) and after a while he kinda took it personally and shut up, but by the end of the show everything was just going so right that they were floored. I had pit tickets and was fully expecting to stand for the entire show, and was pleasantly surprised to see seats set down for us. I ended up getting front row, about eight seats off from center. Pretty rad.

I got a set list too for this show. Here's what they played, more or less.

Say It To Me Now (with PA) - he ended up playing this way further down the set, and they actually started off with Into the Mystic
Falling Slowly
The Moon
When Your Mind's Made Up
This Low
I Have Loved You Wrong*
Glen Section !!! (this was comprised of Say It To Me Now, Astralweeks by Van Morrison, and Back Broke*)
Happiness*
In These Arms*
Low Rising*
Lies

The Hill
If You Want Me
Colm (violinist playing his Blue Shoes song)
Out on the Weekend (Neil Young cover w/ Sam Beam dueting)
Your Face (I don't think they ended up playing this)
People Get Ready
Fitzcarraldo

*new song

Pretty epic night overall. I'll post videos once I put em on youtube.

And here's the link to all my shitty camera phone videos:

http://coachella.com/forum/showpost.php?p=757027&postcount=15492

I don't have any memory cards for my digital cam and now I am KICKING myself for not buying one ahead of time. If I knew I was going to get a front row seat in the pit at the greek, as opposed to jockeying for standing room all night, I would have totally planned ahead.

tessalasset
10-07-2008, 05:38 PM
I enjoyed Iron & Wine more than the Swell Season the other night. Of my 3 favorite songs of his, he only played one, but it was probably my absolute favorite, "Resurrection Fern," so I was very happy. The Swell Season started out strong, with Glen alone on "Say It to Me Now," but there were some technical difficulties during "Falling Slowly." "When Your Mind's Made Up" was amazing, as was "Leave." Unfortunately, they played a lot of songs that I wasn't familiar with otherwise, and they talked for, like, 10 minutes in introducing every song that wasn't in Once. I felt like yelling out "Get on with playing the song already," but was more respectful than that. It wasn't that Glen's not an engaging storyteller, it was just that it was getting late and I had a 2-hour drive afterward awaiting me. I was going to stay till they played "Lies" or "The Field," but at 10:30 and with them playing a few slow songs in a row, I had to get out of there. It's disappointing that Iron & Wine played more songs in his 45 minutes than they did in the hour and 15 minutes that I caught of theirs. Oh well.

good. in both shows i went to, a couple people had the nerve to not hold back. this made for some very entertaining parts of the show, but also some awkward/sad parts when you could tell how much it hurt his feelings. glen is ALL about the storytelling. i'm also very glad they played falling slowly 2nd each time. that song is like mmmbop for them. just get it over with already so people won't be calling out for it all night. and i think the reason i loved our SD and LA shows so much is because of all the new songs. I was sort of getting bored with them hearing the same Once/SS songs over and over at all their shows. the new songs absolutely rejuvenated my love for them. of course it's different when you've only seen them once or twice before...

fatbastard
10-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Idiots. They pay to get in, have no talent themselves, and piss off the artist. Idiots.

I listened to the Once soundtrack a couple of times but could not get into it. These reviews have got me salivating for them. Need to go pick up a CD from them and try them out again. That Jungle Book story just absolutely kills.

TommyboyUNM
10-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Idiots. They pay to get in, have no talent themselves, and piss off the artist. Idiots.

I listened to the Once soundtrack a couple of times but could not get into it. These reviews have got me salivating for them. Need to go pick up a CD from them and try them out again. That Jungle Book story just absolutely kills.

The Once soundtrack is decent, but they are remarkable in concert. Glen is seriously one of the most dynamic front men I've seen. I didn't mind at all that he talked for a while before many of the songs. He's very engaging and he makes the show that much better. I'd really like to see The Frames at some point. I know they're playing on this Swell Season tour, but it's not the same. I missed them at Coachella last year.

Sushov23
10-07-2008, 07:10 PM
The Frames sucked at Coachella 07.

C DUB YA
10-07-2008, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't say they sucked

gaypalmsprings
10-07-2008, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't say they sucked

They headlined the Gay Orgy.

Sushov23
10-07-2008, 07:45 PM
I would, they just didn't do anything for me, and I missed the Cribs and Fratellis for them. I remember I caught the last 15 minutes of Fountains of Wayne(who sucked even more).

tessalasset
10-07-2008, 07:59 PM
they were also fucking miserable playing at the 3 pm time slot. glen was just not in the mood at all. you seriously can't judge hardly anyone based on their coachella performance. the frames are just magical live, in a headlining gig. the first time i ever saw them was four and a half years ago opening for damien rice at the wiltern. i had never heard of them before that. glen had just recently broken his leg and had a full leg cast on. he had to just sit in a chair or hobble around for a little bit. even with that sort of stage restriction, he was still such an overwhelming presence that i knew right there i had to keep tabs on them. he was and still is, like everyone else is saying, one of the best front men out there in rock music. and he is SO genuine it kills me. watch any interview he's done and you'll see. he's super polite and heartfelt and down to earth. i seriously can not say enough good about him. and the reason i love this tour so much is that i think they are finally making enough money that they can afford to bring the frames out with them. so you're really seeing a stripped-down frames show. my favorite parts were when he jammed with his band with his electric guitar. it made me so nostalgic. but yeah you really need to see them in their own gig before you say they suck. i promise you will end up loving them.

Sushov23
10-07-2008, 08:13 PM
I think there should be something about being professional, all he did was bitch. That isn't cool, fucking try your hardest but they didn't. So for that I won't be giving them a shot at their own show, maybe at a fest again. I do love the records, I can say that about them.

tessalasset
10-07-2008, 10:25 PM
whatever floats your boat, dude.

MarkO
10-08-2008, 06:40 AM
He didn't bitch, all he did was make a comment about the ridiculous heat at 12.30 in the day. Just like every other band that played Coachella in '07.

They were good but not great in '07.

eudaemonia
10-08-2008, 06:51 AM
I really enjoyed the Frames '07 set in Coachella, and that was the first time I ever saw them too. Strangely enough, I got hooked after hearing the Frames' version of "Falling Slowly" in a free Filter mag CD (didn't know about the duet version then), and I wanted them to play it -- I think I remember Glen asking for requests. I remember him complaining about the heat, but hell -- he's an Irishman in that kind of sun, it's no wonder he looked like he was about to pass out and melt (and that they canceled their scheduled signing right after). I don't know about them not trying their hardest, because I thought it was a very good set and I did NOT regret missing the Fratellis for them (I didn't have to miss the Cribs though, caught them right before) since my friend got pummeled by the crowd at where I left her.

tessalasset
10-08-2008, 07:28 AM
and he had sun tan lotion dripping into his eyes. he was not a happy camper when he got off stage.

MarkO
10-08-2008, 07:31 AM
Coachella '07

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/181/glen1xi5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

eudaemonia
10-08-2008, 07:37 AM
and he had sun tan lotion dripping into his eyes. he was not a happy camper when he got off stage.

I hate that when it happens. That shit stings.

TommyboyUNM
10-08-2008, 07:49 AM
I think there should be something about being professional, all he did was bitch. That isn't cool, fucking try your hardest but they didn't. So for that I won't be giving them a shot at their own show, maybe at a fest again. I do love the records, I can say that about them.

You love the records, but you won't give them a chance again just based on that? But you say "maybe at a fest again." Isn't that the setting that you thought they sucked in? There's a disconnect there. I guess you're the one missing out if you have the chance to see The Frames or The Swell Season and don't do it. This board, generally, won't steer you in the wrong direction.

Somewhat Damaged
10-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Did any of you try these ? What do you think ?

Yeah, I downloaded it. Thanks!

good. in both shows i went to, a couple people had the nerve to not hold back. this made for some very entertaining parts of the show, but also some awkward/sad parts when you could tell how much it hurt his feelings. glen is ALL about the storytelling... of course it's different when you've only seen them once or twice before...

Actually, one person in the audience DID yell out during one of Glen's stories, but he wasn't a heckler by any means. He was talking about some Colorado show where the audience threw marshmallows at the band and Glen remarked that they had made the audience orgasm. Drew some laughs. The guy then persisted in trying to maintain a conversation, to which Glen said, "Can we finish this later?" I thought that was funny.
And I understand that they probably have gotten tired just playing their old stuff and completely respect them trotting out new material. I was just disappointed because I had an interview at 9:30 the following morning and couldn't reasonably afford to stay till the end of the show (unless I wasn't interested in getting a decent amount of sleep and being well rested for said interview). I'm glad with the songs I got, just wish I could've gotten more from the film. If they played nearby again and tickets were reasonably priced, I would go. Especially if there were seats available. (The floor at the Rialto, where I saw them, is pretty unforgiving to people having to stand for a few hours.)

The Swell Season for Coachella '09! They can play the main stage around 5:00. How's that sound?

tessalasset
10-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Marko I'm not even finished with the first song on the frames show and Im already in love with this recording. thank you SOOOO much for these. fucking awesome dude.

tessalasset
10-08-2008, 02:14 PM
oh weird and i just realized i already had this version of santa maria that i've loved forever. awwww yay.

MarkO
10-08-2008, 03:11 PM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1TRLAFWU

Short set of The Frames in Jacksonville, FL. Date unknown. A very clean sounding boot even if the bitrate is low. For reasons unknown track 8 is called "Stars Are Underground & Octopussy.mp3". Beats the hell out of me .......... they also do Rent Day Blues into Rhinestone Cowboy (srsly) and end with the well known Star Star -> Hotellounge.

I also highly recommend getting a copy of 'Breadcrumb Trail', their other live album recorded in Brno in the Czech Republic. Marketa is on it .......

tessalasset
10-08-2008, 03:33 PM
YES i've been wanting to get breadcrumb trail. there are a couple of their albums i still don't have copies of yet. they're definitely one of a handful of bands i love enough to try to acquire hard copies of all their releases. thank you for all of these. if you have more, keep em coming.

the only thing i don't like about the Frames one you sent is the slight buzzing/ringing throughout it. it sort of hurts my ears.

MarkO
10-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Yeah, it is patchy in places, particularly in the beginning, but worth the listen.

archive.org has some Frames boots as well.