PDA

View Full Version : Coachella 2009 Breaking All The Rules

faxman75
09-23-2008, 02:40 PM
So, in 2008 we had a set that went to 1AM. The latest a set has ever ran before in Coachella history. In 2008 we also had both Prince and Roger Waters play for 2 + hours despite the normal headlining time given of much less than 2 hours.

So what do you all expect next year? I liked how they at least left the finish time blank last year for a headliner. Maybe we will get more surprises like this next year? maybe Paul T decides to give Portishead the Friday headlining spot with 2 hours to make up for last years set being cut a little short for Prince?

Speculation and rule breaking.....what say you?!?

sbessiso
09-23-2008, 02:46 PM
I don't think I can handle 2 hours of P-Head :/

BlackSwan
09-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Boards of Canada. The Knife. Talking Heads. David Bowie.

Oh and The Chemical Brothers doing Setting Sun live with Noel Gallagher because Oasis is playing Coachella too.

faxman75
09-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Talking heads would be EPIC as the kids ummm used to say.

scoop49er
09-23-2008, 03:44 PM
ADD A 4TH DAY! other than that, have the best lineup possible and we are al good!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-23-2008, 03:52 PM
I fully expect 2 hour or more sets from the headliners next year....

gaypalmsprings
09-23-2008, 04:05 PM
I'd appreciate at least 2 hours of silence in Tent City for 2 hours.

RotationSlimWang
09-23-2008, 04:23 PM
I'd appreciate at least 2 hours of silence in Tent City for 2 hours.

How many hours?

gaypalmsprings
09-23-2008, 04:25 PM
How many hours?

Didn't you coin the phrase, "Tent City"?

RotationSlimWang
09-23-2008, 04:28 PM
I also invented the internet. Or at least I marched right up in the motherfucker and took it over.

Reckonize.

Wheres the beef?
09-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Boards of Canada. The Knife. Talking Heads. David Bowie.

I swear not a thread goes by without one of those names popping up.

shakermaker113
09-23-2008, 09:03 PM
the only change I want to see is a sunset --> sunrise schedule instead of this noon --> midnight nonsense.

but I don't expect that any time soon. or ever.

betao
09-23-2008, 09:03 PM
So, in 2008 we had a set that went to 1AM. The latest a set has ever ran before in Coachella history. In 2008 we also had both Prince and Roger Waters play for 2 + hours despite the normal headlining time given of much less than 2 hours.

So what do you all expect next year? I liked how they at least left the finish time blank last year for a headliner. Maybe we will get more surprises like this next year? maybe Paul T decides to give Portishead the Friday headlining spot with 2 hours to make up for last years set being cut a little short for Prince?

Speculation and rule breaking.....what say you?!?

I think it all depends on who you get to headline, as well as how many acts you have performing

Jack Johnson's 1 hr 15 mins seemed reasonable I guess.

Prince... it honestly doesn't matter how much time you give him, he'll perform for as long as he wants to. He was only given 1hr 15 mins because Saturday was packed with acts. Had the days been thinned out, I think he would have gotten 90 mins.

Roger Waters - his set was long because he was doing DSOTM.

it all depends on who headlines.. like I guess Radiohead, Bowie, NIN, or Coldplay would get around the 90 minute mark.

Boourns
09-27-2008, 03:10 PM
These will all happen next year:

Full sets from Radiohead and David Bowie
A reunion I actually give a fuck about
The Knife IN THE TENT
No more camera thieves allowed
No Jack Johnson
Special shaded camp area available for an additional fee
The return of trainchella

rage patton
09-27-2008, 03:23 PM

Its called a canopy. It will get you an extra hour or two of sleep everyday and provides a cool place to chill while waiting to go inside.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-27-2008, 03:24 PM
These will all happen next year:

Full sets from Radiohead and David Bowie
A reunion I actually give a fuck about
The Knife IN THE TENT
No more camera thieves allowed
No Jack Johnson
The return of trainchella

Fucking Epic....

Boourns
09-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Its called a canopy. It will get you an extra hour or two of sleep everyday and provides a cool place to chill while waiting to go inside.

Yeah, but I'm talking about a massive one that can cover lots and lots of tents. Or maybe a Sahara tent in the campsite. An individual canopy would be way too much for one person to bring, in addition to all the other crap.

frozen pilgrim
09-27-2008, 03:56 PM
so in other words... camp indoors

what a shitty idea

bring a canopy, or pay for a hotel, or 'onsite lodging'

Boourns
09-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Not shitty idea...brilliant. Hotel involves driving and being stuck in traffic. Onsite lodging is not shaded and a total ripoff unless you get the air conditioned tent.

sbessiso
09-27-2008, 04:04 PM
if you camp with a fun group, canopies are provided. This year we had a jungle safari, next year we're going for a Space Theme

Coachella Bound
09-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Camping is the way to go PERIOD! If you dont like the heat stay out of the desert!

As far as breaking rules go, well Id like to see some crazy collaborations! Any one can see so and so perform here and there, but this is COACHELLA. It brings together some of the most amazing artists from all over and with this year being the ten year you know its going to draw in some big names. Id like to see something special, like David Bowie and the White Stripes together (this is just an example dont freak out).

Something that would ONLY happen at COACHELLA! With that said....

Any other cool collabo ideas?.

frozen pilgrim
09-27-2008, 04:12 PM
exactly- it makes no sense at all, under any circumstance, to pay extra money to set up your tent under existing shade. toss a canopy in your car. you can buy a tarp and poles for twenty bucks, and it'll fit in a checked airline bag. that's what I did. got my tent, canopy, soccer ball, frisbee, mister, towels, all in one standard checked size bag.

Boourns
09-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Jarvis Cocker joining Bowie for "Space Oddity"

frozen pilgrim
09-27-2008, 04:14 PM
^^that we can agree on :)

Boourns
09-27-2008, 04:15 PM
exactly- it makes no sense at all, under any circumstance, to pay extra money to set up your tent under existing shade. toss a canopy in your car. you can buy a tarp and poles for twenty bucks, and it'll fit in a checked airline bag. that's what I did. got my tent, canopy, soccer ball, frisbee, mister, towels, all in one standard checked size bag.

Not everyone takes a car. Yeah, a tent, sleeping bag, pillow, toiletries, and 4 days of clothes completely filled my largest suitcase four years in a row and Amtrak and Greyhound have ridiculous limits on how many bags you can bring and how much it can weigh.

And a gigantic shade tent would provide more shade than any canopy ever could.

sbessiso
09-27-2008, 04:17 PM
, like David Bowie and the White Stripes together (this is just an example dont freak out)

I did freak out a little though. That's so awesome it might cause the Apocalypse

Boourns
09-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Thom Yorke joins Beck for that "I'm Set Free" cover, just like he did in 2004.

Oh wait, nevermind. Fucker.

sbessiso
09-27-2008, 04:20 PM
thom yorke and beck did a song together??

Boourns
09-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Yup. They covered "I'm Set Free" by the Velvet Underground. Wayyyy back in 2002.

sbessiso
09-27-2008, 04:22 PM
2002, whoa, time warp

frozen pilgrim
09-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Not everyone takes a car. Yeah, a tent, sleeping bag, pillow, toiletries, and 4 days of clothes completely filled my largest suitcase four years in a row and Amtrak and Greyhound have ridiculous limits on how many bags you can bring and how much it can weigh.

And a gigantic shade tent would provide more shade than any canopy ever could.

dude, your point is 100% invalid.

I JUST told you what I did.
and I took a greyhound bus, then a plane, then an amtrak train. I used all three major forms of transport, carrying all my shit in one bag that complied with all of their current baggage standards with no extra fees.

do people ever read what they're responding to?

sbessiso
09-27-2008, 04:25 PM
I hear you Pilgrim, but I just cannot imagine how you fit all that shit in one bag. Canadian Voodoo?

frozen pilgrim
09-27-2008, 04:29 PM
no, I just packed carefully.

the other obvious option for people who aren't avid tetris fans is to buy a canopy for super cheap. or, if people really can't be bothered to bring a canopy, buy one, pay for onsite lodging, get a hotel, or do ANYTHING else to alleviate the morning heat, but can't handle the sun, here's a suggestion:
get heatstroke and die, because you're more interested in mental roadblocking than having a good time

frozen pilgrim
09-27-2008, 04:30 PM
also, use your bathroom scale to weigh your bags.

Coachella Bound
09-27-2008, 04:38 PM
no, I just packed carefully.

here's a suggestion:
get heatstroke and die, because you're more interested in mental roadblocking than having a good time

hahaha! Your my favorite....

Boourns
09-27-2008, 04:58 PM

and I took a greyhound bus, then a plane, then an amtrak train. I used all three major forms of transport, carrying all my shit in one bag that complied with all of their current baggage standards with no extra fees.

do people ever read what they're responding to?

toss a canopy in your car

Loud and clear.

It is not possible to fit a tent, sleeping bag, pillow, blanket, toiletries, 4 outfits, breast milk, and then a canopy into even a large normal suitcase. I've tried.

And besides, unless that canopy is at least 100 square feet, the shade isn't that great. Now who can't read?

frozen pilgrim
09-27-2008, 05:45 PM
boourns, you're being an idiotic fucking troll.
you're roadblocking.
I told you what it's possible to fit in an acceptably sized and weighted bag, and you're nitpicking, trying to find shit to object to
go fuck yourself

Boourns
09-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Fuck you, asshole. You're the one being a dick about it. My suitcase was already overstuffed this year and there's no fucking way that a canopy would fit in there. What part of this do you not understand?

And Shpongle will never play Coachella.

frozen pilgrim
09-27-2008, 05:59 PM
YOUR failure to get a canopy in with your shit has no bearing on other people, you fat piece of shit. it's not anyone else's fault your '4 outfits' take as much fabric as a fucking dirigible.

sbessiso
09-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Cmon guys, can't we all just get along?

frozen pilgrim
09-27-2008, 06:13 PM
I tried, salah. read my first post. I tried to be not only reasonable, but actually helpful- I suggested tarps and poles instead of a pre-fab canopy, as it packs way smaller. I was being nice, and boourns was roadblocking. trying to find any reason to validate his dumbass idea of a gigantic tent in the campground to... well, pitch a tent under.

I offered like four or five solutions, and he ignored all of them, and picked on inane semantic bullshit, like some kind of b/tard troll

bluemamba
09-27-2008, 06:18 PM
LMAO at the last 11 posts.

Boourns
09-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Is roadblocking the biggest word you know and one you are so proud of knowing that you have to drop it every single post?

The fact is just because something works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. You think I haven't tried your obvious solutions before? The most likely solution, which you didn't mention, is to leave out the sleeping bag, because those things are the biggest space hogs, by far.

But indoor camping would rock. Cheaper than a hotel, no traffic to deal with, but still get the protection from the sun and sleeping in a cloud of dust and dead grass.

lol, you would read /b

frozen pilgrim
09-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Is roadblocking the biggest word you know and one you are so proud of knowing that you have to drop it every single post?

The fact is just because something works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. You think I haven't tried your obvious solutions before? The most likely solution, which you didn't mention, is to leave out the sleeping bag, because those things are the biggest space hogs, by far.

But indoor camping would rock. Cheaper than a hotel, no traffic to deal with, but still get the protection from the sun and sleeping in a cloud of dust and dead grass.

lol, you would read /b

right. it's called onsite lodging. or a hotel. or camping in a trailer somewhere.
and you're still being an uneccessary dick
fuck you

sbessiso
09-27-2008, 06:22 PM
you know Boourns, you keep mentioning all this dust that made you sick and whatnot. But I was there too and I didn't see any dust at all

SoulDischarge
09-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Fuck you both.

Boourns
09-27-2008, 06:29 PM
you know Boourns, you keep mentioning all this dust that made you sick and whatnot. But I was there too and I didn't see any dust at all

It gives new meaning to "the airbourne toxic event" ;)

Coachella Bound
09-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Fuck you all! Damn nut jobs.......

How about some crazy Sound Garden(reunion)/Temple of the Dog/Pear Jam set?

Boourns
09-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Soundgarden will mos def reunite someday. Chris Cornell's solo career keeps getting sadder and sadder. Didn't he tour with Linkin Park this year?

sbessiso
09-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Yeah he did! So awful, I feel really bad for him and I'm not even a fan

Coachella Bound
09-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Yeah, i think it was called the Project Revolution tour.

I honestly only hear really negative things about the guy....

In my opinion Sound Garden was the best thing that ever happened to him. The guy cant stay in a band. Sound Garden broke up, then Audioslave. I cant take his solo shit!

Boourns
09-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah, even people that can make good solo stuff (Morrissey, Jarvis Cocker, Thom Yorke) are better when with the band that made them famous.

BROKENDOLL
09-27-2008, 07:37 PM
exactly- it makes no sense at all, under any circumstance, to pay extra money to set up your tent under existing shade. toss a canopy in your car. you can buy a tarp and poles for twenty bucks, and it'll fit in a checked airline bag. that's what I did. got my tent, canopy, soccer ball, frisbee, mister, towels, all in one standard checked size bag. Of course he ran around the fest butt-naked for 3 days, but hey...:rolleyes

BROKENDOLL
09-27-2008, 07:48 PM

do people ever read what they're responding to? I do. One question though...Do buses, airplanes, and Amtrak enforce a dresscode?

Loud and clear.

It is not possible to fit a tent, sleeping bag, pillow, blanket, toiletries, 4 outfits, breast milk, and then a canopy into even a large normal suitcase. I've tried.

And besides, unless that canopy is at least 100 square feet, the shade isn't that great. Now who can't read? I had to read this one twice, even. Boourns, out of curiosity...The breastmilk? Wait! It must be the small frig you had to pack to keep that shit cold, huh?

boourns, you're being an idiotic fucking troll.
you're roadblocking.
I told you what it's possible to fit in an acceptably sized and weighted bag, and you're nitpicking, trying to find shit to object to
go fuck yourself Don't send him off yet! Inquiring minds want to know about the breastmilk!

Fuck you, asshole. You're the one being a dick about it. My suitcase was already overstuffed this year and there's no fucking way that a canopy would fit in there. What part of this do you not understand?

And Shpongle will never play Coachella. You must have big breasts then?

YOUR failure to get a canopy in with your shit has no bearing on other people, you fat piece of shit. it's not anyone else's fault your '4 outfits' take as much fabric as a fucking dirigible. Does this mean there's a chance Led Zep will headline in 09?

Cmon guys, can't we all just get along? No, wait! This shit reminds me of the "bonding" that used to happen between myself and...oh, what the fuck was his name?

BROKENDOLL
09-27-2008, 07:56 PM
I tried, salah. read my first post. I tried to be not only reasonable, but actually helpful- I suggested tarps and poles instead of a pre-fab canopy, as it packs way smaller. I was being nice, and boourns was roadblocking. trying to find any reason to validate his dumbass idea of a gigantic tent in the campground to... well, pitch a tent under.

I offered like four or five solutions, and he ignored all of them, and picked on inane semantic bullshit, like some kind of b/tard troll Some guys pitch big tents, and others can only manage a small tent...Once I get the details about his breats, we may gain some insight to his tenting abilities.

lol, you would read /b Hmm, Indoor Camping just doesn't sound...well, like camping. I think the term you want to use is "Hilton" or "Super-8..."

Coachella Bound
09-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Its not camping! But fuck if i had the money id do it, im not going to lie. Its basically a tent so damn big and acomidated it is a hotel. Dont they have air conditioning in those things? Dont get me wrong i love feeling like a dirty hippie all weekend.......

bluemamba
09-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Its got air conditioning, breakfast, massages (Happy Ending included), ride to the venue and back each day, all acces pass, bed, table, light, fire, toilet, bathroom, butler, food and many many many more things.

Boourns
09-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Correction: monkey butler and there's also a hot tub

And a happy ending massage at the end of a long day of Coachella would be wonderful.

emtgreg
09-27-2008, 09:23 PM
merry messy massages and more, by miss yuki and her myriad of masseuse monkeys!

Boourns
09-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Ewww, sick, man. Monkeys should never give massages, especially happy ending ones. They throw their own shit and chimps are strong enough to rip off human limbs.

bluemamba
09-27-2008, 10:17 PM
What if they were TRAINED monkeys??

paulb
09-28-2008, 01:52 AM
And a happy ending massage at the end of a long day of Coachella would be wonderful.

lol, awesome... thats what u get a girlfriend for though dude.

frozen pilgrim
09-28-2008, 08:30 AM
you guys have never had a monkey-shit-lubricated post-concert happy ending massage in a giant air conditioned tent? you haven't lived!

bleep
09-28-2008, 09:33 AM
this is what the thread title reminds me of
RfIzUMuz-Vg