cityzun
02-06-2007, 01:17 AM
Live Peformance: Pearl Jam
Quality of Albums: Pearl Jam
Guitar Solo: Pearl Jam
Loyal Fanbase: Pearl Jam
Redundancy of Albums: RHCP

I pick PJ

To save time, I'll just point you to the up above.

Zerocool2112
02-06-2007, 07:35 AM
Im a pearl jam fan...but the talent RHCP has is pretty fucking good...
Flea is amazing...

and the new PJ album wasnt that good

Tylerdurden31
02-06-2007, 08:51 AM

I pick PJ

i second and add

Lyrical Content: Pearl Jam

danielcampoverde@hotmail.
02-06-2007, 09:33 AM
i agree with you guys...i would like to see them at coachella one day

jerpar24
02-06-2007, 10:10 AM

I pick PJ

Guitar Solo: Chili Peppers (just listen to TURN IT AGAIN)
Quality Of Albums: Chili Peppers (New PJ is not that great)
Talent: Chili Peppers (Flea is one the best bass player)
Best frontman: Chili Peppers
Most underrated guitarist in ROCK: John Frusciante
Which Band is He in: Chili Peppers
Band that gives a fuck about its real fans: Chili Peppers
Band that was called grunge even though they were not: Pearl Jam
Band who's frontman is consider a joke: Pearl Jam
Band that wishes it was still the 90's and people still remembered them for TEN and not the other crap they made: Pearl Jam
band that uses the same chords over and over: Pearl Jam

I do like both these bands but Chili Peppers win. They have more talent and you guys need to listen to WET SAND and TURN IT AGAIN. John shows people he can play. Flea is always on point and if you guys think all their music is the same take a listen to By The Way and Stadium Arcadium. Same Band two different sounds.

Rezzo
02-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Pearl Jam easily...

MrAmeche
02-06-2007, 10:26 AM
I don't really care about either band, so I'm not sure why I'm weighing in here. But here goes anyway ...

Guitar Solo: Chili Peppers
agreed. Frusciante does more for me live than McCready.

Not a big fan of either band's latest album, but PJ plays far more songs I actually like than RHCP these days

Talent: Chili Peppers
I'd probably agree here too - Frusciante+Flea is better than anything PJ can throw up there

I get tired of Keidis real fast, so I'd probably go with Vedder.

Well, no

hard to disagree

PJ spent years fighting Ticketmaster to keep prices down. Last time I saw them every single seat in the arena was $50 - front to back. Gotta go with PJ here.

Grunge is a made up word. Who cares who is and isn't that, and who gets called it "when they're not"?

By you? Then I suppose I have to pick Vedder here too.

Band that wishes it was still the 90's and people still remembered them for TEN and not the other crap they made: Pearl Jam
I don't even have a response for that

or that

I do like both these bands
I sure hope you never like any band I'm in as much as you like Pearl Jam.

SFChrissy
02-06-2007, 11:01 AM
RHCP for sure
Pearl Jam sucks MLB was epic!!!

grossdale
02-06-2007, 12:58 PM
No matter who is better that idea of both groups playing in the same place in the same weekend might make for the best weekend EVER. I would S myself.

ediger
02-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Pearl Jam, hands down. And I love the Chili Peppers. To the guy who said RHCP give more to their true fans. What the fuck are you talking about? Pearl Jam puts on a 2.5 - 3 hour show filled with b-sides and rarities that only their die hard fans would truly appreciate. Not to mention the Ten Club. Getting a fan club only vinyl single for Christmas is pretty fucking badass. Not to mention getting the closest tickets for their shows, minus the service fees. Let's not forget the fact that 98% of the shows they have played over the last 7 years they have recorded and sold for just barely over the cost of production. Pearl Jam is the single greatest band ever when it comes to how they treat their fans.

Guitar Solo: Chili Peppers (just listen to TURN IT AGAIN)
Talent: Chili Peppers (Flea is one the best bass player)

I do like both these bands but Chili Peppers win. They have more talent and you guys need to listen to WET SAND and TURN IT AGAIN. John shows people he can play. Flea is always on point and if you guys think all their music is the same take a listen to By The Way and Stadium Arcadium. Same Band two different sounds.

The guys in Pearl Jam frequently refer to Ten as their worst and most juvenile cd. Eddie Vedder isn't a joke, the people who ripped him off for the last 15 years are jokes. Pearl James latest CD is one of their strongest, no question about it (still no Vitalogy or No Code). You can't blame Pearl Jam for being called grunge, that was the media. They did the same to STP, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins and tons of others. John Frusciante is one of my favourite guitarist of all time, but you can't call him underrated. Stone Gossard is far more underrated. I've seen both live, a matter of months apart. Last year, so this is recent. Pearl Jam was definitely better. AND THEY WERE THE OPENING ACT!!! Turn It Again is an amazing song, but the ending I can't even really consider a solo, there's like 10 guitar tracks. Like I said, it's amazing work, but a lot of that is thanks to editing. It couldn't even be played live. Yellow Ledbetter, Alive, Go and a billion others have better solos. And finally, Eddie Vedder is 10x the lyricist Anthony Keidis is. I love Chili Peppers lyrics, but Pearl Jam goes a hell of a lot deeper than fucking and what kicking drugs is like in their subject matter. They actually have something to say.

Like I said, I love the Chili Peppers, but Pearl Jam kicks the shit out of them

Californicator
02-06-2007, 10:38 PM
i saw both bands this past year. i've seen RHCP 3 times, and the last time they played was probaby the 2nd best performance i've witnessed (1st being Coachella '03). Pearl Jam was actually pretty boring, and I love PJ. Sonic Youth opened for them, and they were pretty good live.

I dunno, its like comparing apples to oranges. I just think RHCP is more exciting, Pearl Jam is more mellow. You feel the emotion in Eddie Vedder, but with RHCP, you feel the emotion with John Frusciante. Does that make any sense?

I really enjoy Pearl Jam when I'm listening by myself. If I were to throw a party at my house, I think RHCP would be more appropriate.

jerpar24
02-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Pearl Jam, hands down. And I love the Chili Peppers. To the guy who said RHCP give more to their true fans. What the fuck are you talking about? Pearl Jam puts on a 2.5 - 3 hour show filled with b-sides and rarities that only their die hard fans would truly appreciate. Not to mention the Ten Club. Getting a fan club only vinyl single for Christmas is pretty fucking badass. Not to mention getting the closest tickets for their shows, minus the service fees. Let's not forget the fact that 98% of the shows they have played over the last 7 years they have recorded and sold for just barely over the cost of production. Pearl Jam is the single greatest band ever when it comes to how they treat their fans.

The guys in Pearl Jam frequently refer to Ten as their worst and most juvenile cd. Eddie Vedder isn't a joke, the people who ripped him off for the last 15 years are jokes. Pearl James latest CD is one of their strongest, no question about it (still no Vitalogy or No Code). You can't blame Pearl Jam for being called grunge, that was the media. They did the same to STP, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins and tons of others. John Frusciante is one of my favourite guitarist of all time, but you can't call him underrated. Stone Gossard is far more underrated. I've seen both live, a matter of months apart. Last year, so this is recent. Pearl Jam was definitely better. AND THEY WERE THE OPENING ACT!!! Turn It Again is an amazing song, but the ending I can't even really consider a solo, there's like 10 guitar tracks. Like I said, it's amazing work, but a lot of that is thanks to editing. It couldn't even be played live. Yellow Ledbetter, Alive, Go and a billion others have better solos. And finally, Eddie Vedder is 10x the lyricist Anthony Keidis is. I love Chili Peppers lyrics, but Pearl Jam goes a hell of a lot deeper than fucking and what kicking drugs is like in their subject matter. They actually have something to say.

The only reason I said they don't give a shit about the fans is because Of Vedder. I was In a airport once and I seen him and this one friend of mine who was a huge PJ fan walked up to him adn told him how he was a big fan and we just got out of the Army and he wanted to know if he would take a pic with him. Vedder just looked at him and said I'm busy and he just sat in his seat until his flight.

woogie846
02-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Pearl Jam at The Forum - Beyond outstanding.

RHCP at The Forum - eh.

dorkfish
02-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Pearl Jam did a lot of one-off secret-ish shows for fans at really tiny venues over the last few years.

RHCP released album after album with sound suggesting that they believe they peaked at the song "Californication."

John Frusciante is about as underrated as a guitarist as Donnie Darko was underrated as a movie. Everyone knows him and rates him well enough, now.

rhcpfan
02-08-2007, 09:15 PM
the lead singer from Pearl has an annoying as voice

Benis23
02-08-2007, 10:12 PM
EVERYONE ON HERE WHO CONSTANTLY BASHES CHILI PEPPERS SHOULD AT LEAST ADMIT THAT FRUSCIANTE PLUS FLEA IS POSSIBLY THE BEST GUITARIST/ BASSIST COMBO IN ROCK RIGHT NOW

Tylerdurden31
02-09-2007, 05:22 AM
the lead singer from Pearl has an annoying as voice

ah...but he can actually sing

Tylerdurden31
02-09-2007, 05:26 AM
EVERYONE ON HERE WHO CONSTANTLY BASHES CHILI PEPPERS SHOULD AT LEAST ADMIT THAT FRUSCIANTE PLUS FLEA IS POSSIBLY THE BEST GUITARIST/ BASSIST COMBO IN ROCK RIGHT NOW

why?

angelanoelle
02-09-2007, 06:33 AM
Red Hot Chili Peppers all the way! What is with all the haters out here! Sure, Pearl Jam is great, but damn, album after album it just gets more depressing. Maybe some people have enough of that considering the state of the world that we are living in. In addition to that, we should all be thankful that we get to go out and enjoy an event like Coachella, so many people have it far worse off! To bash one band to another is a step back. What about progression, love - accepting differences in one another - if every band was the same, what would music be all about? Whoever even started this blog sucks just a bit. Im not going to bother bashing Pearl Jam, they are so clearly talented, But i do support RHCP all the way. They've been my fave band since 4th grade! Is anyone out there even aware that Anthony played a considerable amount of 2006 and 2007 with 2 broken toes! Night after night! Flea is an amazing artist, I have met him, very considerate and conscious of who his fans are and what they go through to see and support them. I have met John Frusciante as well, his talent goes so unrecognized, I dont get it, he's insane, that talent just, I can't put it into words! Chad, he rules, what a fucking gifted drummer, fun and solid! He's been such a blessing for this band. Anthony, man, what he's been through - John as well, look at what he's done with it! His voice has matured so much - has anyone listened to Stadium Arcadium? Now, Im finding myself getting upset over people hating on such beautiful musicians - Im gonna be done for now... Angela - Cleveland, Ohio.

Tylerdurden31
02-09-2007, 06:50 AM
why does everyone think that people think John Frusciante's underrated? Everyone I know, knows he's an incredible guitarist.

eric m
02-09-2007, 07:06 AM
I dig the Peppers more. To me their new sound is not as cool as their pre-californication sound, but Stadium Arcadium and By the Way have a wide range of styles. Keidis does sing on both cds. PJ has not excited me since 10 or vs.

I think this is apples to oranges also. RHCP brings the funk. PJ brings something else.

menikmati
02-09-2007, 07:08 AM
If any band was called "grunge" but weren't, it was Nirvana.

ediger
02-11-2007, 10:40 AM
If any band was called "grunge" but weren't, it was Nirvana.

grunge died the day Nevermind was released. Bleach is grunge at its finest.

Malone
02-13-2007, 01:05 PM
I'd much rather see pearl jam, seen them twice and it was fantastic. I'd still watch rhcp, but i wouldnt expect much.

boarderwoozel3
02-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Pearl Jam

lmwhitter
02-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Definately PJ!!!! Nothing like a rough voice singing some old sounding rock and roll for me.....RHCP is wimpy at times

guillerho
02-13-2007, 05:12 PM
this will make my third time in six months to see red hot chili peppers. pearl jam pretty tight but they'll never beat chili peppers

hydrobomb
02-14-2007, 05:28 AM
Pearl Jam by a long shot. I have already seen them twice and would see them again anytime.

cellophane_star
02-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Pearl Jam. Seeing them play at the Gorge last summer was just unreal.

RHCP would be good if they didn't release the same album over and over again.

And to the guy who says PJ don't give a shit about their fans... you could not be more wrong. I can't think of any other major band that would plan a month-long cross-Canada tour, hitting cities like Thunder Bay and St. John's (my hometown!) because they want their fans to see them live. Chili Peppers wouldn't be doing it. Or if they did, they'd charge $80 a ticket like they did in Calgary.

ediger
02-14-2007, 11:12 AM
obviously music is all a matter of opinion, but I've always thought that if someone could go to a Pearl Jam show (barring a really bad show, which are infrequent) and not enjoy it, they really don't know what music is about. IMO, anyone who is into rock music at all or at least truly respects music would love a Pearl Jam show.

Pearl Jam. Seeing them play at the Gorge last summer was just unreal.

RHCP would be good if they didn't release the same album over and over again.

And to the guy who says PJ don't give a shit about their fans... you could not be more wrong. I can't think of any other major band that would plan a month-long cross-Canada tour, hitting cities like Thunder Bay and St. John's (my hometown!) because they want their fans to see them live. Chili Peppers wouldn't be doing it. Or if they did, they'd charge $80 a ticket like they did in Calgary.

damn straight. They could have easily played Vancouver, Edmonton or Calgary, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa and passed that off as a "Canadian Tour". But no, they did it the right way and hit places that NEVER get concerts. TBay's largest venue is 3,000 seats! I could imagine how cool it would be to see Pearl Jam in a small venue. I've had SUPER close tickets every time I've seen them, but there's something about a smaller venue.

joshskangster
02-28-2007, 11:32 PM
rhcp.
seen em twice and they fuckin rocked. everyone knows AK cant sing blah blah blah. chilis are fuckin great. pearl jam is too but i prefer the peppers

nothingman00
03-03-2007, 09:23 PM

Possibly one of the best replies to a ludicrous post ever made on this board. As a 8 year 10-Club member, i can't tell you how much the vinyl x-mas single is awaited (even though it doesn't freaking come until February). The setlists are never cookie cutter. They pay homage to great bands with fairly frequent covers of Baba O Riley, rockin in the free World, Masters of War, Sonic Reducer (yep, by the Dead Boys) I got You and History Never repeats by Split Enz, and about 20-30 other covers that just always dominate. And yes, the media labeled PJ as a grunge act in the 90's. I think Vitalogy probably did away with the "grunge" talk, and then "No Code-their best album in my popinion- definitely showed them distancing themselves further from grunge. Eddie vedder isn;t a joke of a lead singer. As far as I know, he never appeared in a video, running shirtless with his tits flapping (a la Anthony Kiedis), and doesn't take himself too seriously. PJ gives a fucking lot to their fans but they also give shitloads back to charity and good causes. They are good people. I actually like(d) RHCP until they released three straight albums of songs that seemed to bleed together. But I would never, ever put them in the same category as Pearl Jam. As much as I love music, and as much as I know I'll catch flak on here for saying it, Pearl Jam puts on the best live performance of any band today (mainly because of the many different setlists, the audience interaction, the banter between songs, the rarities, the hour long encores).... They care that you spent money to see them play and they never fucking coast through a half-assed set.

ediger
03-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Possibly one of the best replies to a ludicrous post ever made on this board. As a 8 year 10-Club member, i can't tell you how much the vinyl x-mas single is awaited (even though it doesn't freaking come until February). The setlists are never cookie cutter. They pay homage to great bands with fairly frequent covers of Baba O Riley, rockin in the free World, Masters of War, Sonic Reducer (yep, by the Dead Boys) I got You and History Never repeats by Split Enz, and about 20-30 other covers that just always dominate. And yes, the media labeled PJ as a grunge act in the 90's. I think Vitalogy probably did away with the "grunge" talk, and then "No Code-their best album in my popinion- definitely showed them distancing themselves further from grunge. Eddie vedder isn;t a joke of a lead singer. As far as I know, he never appeared in a video, running shirtless with his tits flapping (a la Anthony Kiedis), and doesn't take himself too seriously. PJ gives a fucking lot to their fans but they also give shitloads back to charity and good causes. They are good people. I actually like(d) RHCP until they released three straight albums of songs that seemed to bleed together. But I would never, ever put them in the same category as Pearl Jam. As much as I love music, and as much as I know I'll catch flak on here for saying it, Pearl Jam puts on the best live performance of any band today (mainly because of the many different setlists, the audience interaction, the banter between songs, the rarities, the hour long encores).... They care that you spent money to see them play and they never fucking coast through a half-assed set.

good post. I saw the two Tom Petty/Pearl Jam shows last year. Tom Petty was amazing but changed maybe 3 songs between the two shows. Pearl Jam on the other hand repeated only about 3 or 4 songs (plus opened with Interstellar Overdrive into Corduroy, which was unreal). Vitalogy and No Code are by far my favourite albums.

nothingman00
03-04-2007, 02:28 PM
I've seen PJ play about 15-16 times, including a back-to-back Seattle performance (the end of the 2000 tour, I believe) and I've never been disappointed. Hearing songs like "Present Tense", "Hard to Imagine", "release" "Oceans", "Indifference", "Smile"... Just makes me giddy thinking about it. You never know what you;re going to get in the middle of "Daughter" and you never know if you'll get an extended outro after "Better Man" leading into "Save it for Later"... And yeah, when they open with Instellar Overdrive, you just get goosebumps. My ideal setlist would probably open with "Oceans", simply because the only time I've ever seen it live (Houston, night 2, 2000) was the opening to the best PJ show that I've ever seen, and would probably close with "Indifference".

gratytrainridesagain
03-05-2007, 01:26 AM
I seriously think some of you have lost your minds. Flea great no arguing here but Pearl Jam way more talented. Do the Chili Peppers go out and play a different set every night? No, more so, just because Anthony Keidis is jumping around all night does'nt make you a better performer, I'd much rather take hitting every note spot on than a junkie dance. Pearl Jam = tight act, RHCP=We've seen it before. Pearl Jam's last album wasn't the greatest, but compared to Stadium Arcadium, I'll take Mindless Self Indulgence over that piece of crap, maybe even Insane Clown Posse. That really is how bad it was.

gratytrainridesagain
03-05-2007, 01:29 AM
Nothingman00 you're a genius i've missed both Pearl Jam concerts that came around my area that I could've seen. But those are my 2 absolute favorite songs.

crazzz2007
03-10-2007, 06:19 PM
i saw both bands this past year. i've seen RHCP 3 times, and the last time they played was probaby the 2nd best performance i've witnessed (1st being Coachella '03).

you obviously have not seen many good performances.

crazzz2007
03-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Red Hot Chili Peppers all the way! What is with all the haters out here! Sure, Pearl Jam is great, but damn, album after album it just gets more depressing.

But i do support RHCP all the way. They've been my fave band since 4th grade!

stupid. rhcp is your favorite band? album after album of the same album. such innovators they are.

WiiPWNz
04-26-2007, 09:15 PM
FYI, Pearl Jam was a RHCP cover band back in the 80s-90s. It's in Kieidis' autobiography.

Dave Gravy
04-26-2007, 09:57 PM
They both suck.

Gloria
04-28-2007, 12:55 PM
I've seen both, PJ once and RHCP 5 times. PJ sounds great, but their sets lack energy, which is why I'm a Chili junkie.