PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer vs. Safari

indietron
09-16-2008, 12:55 AM
Could someone please explain to me the details as to what is different between the two? It is just personal preference? Or is one faster than the other? All help is appreciated =)

PotVsKtl
09-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Try it yourself you lazy fuck.

Hannahrain
09-16-2008, 01:20 AM
I wonder how long his essay is supposed to be.

Cpt. Funkaho
09-16-2008, 01:31 AM
Jesus, Safari no contest. Make it Firefox vs. Safari so it's more of a fair fight.

indietron
09-16-2008, 01:33 PM
I have already been trying out safari, but it seems pretty much the same. I have always just used Explorer so i would know nothing about safari. Safari just seems more "hip" i guess.
And no, im not writing an essay on this.

bmack86
09-16-2008, 01:36 PM
All the cool kids use safari, dontcha know.

TomAz
09-16-2008, 02:30 PM
safari is used by that cool guy on tv, while IE is used by that fat nerdy guy.

marooko
09-16-2008, 02:41 PM
you shouldn't talk so bad about yourself, Tom.

psychic friend
09-16-2008, 02:42 PM
firefox

Wheres the beef?
09-16-2008, 02:54 PM
firefox > chrome > safari > netscape navigator > internet explorer

frozen pilgrim
09-16-2008, 02:59 PM
internet explorer is responsible for something like 80% of known internet security problems on a PC.

use firefox

marooko
09-16-2008, 03:03 PM
internet explorer is responsible for something like 80% of known internet security problems on a PC.

use firefox

source?!

I used IE for a long time with good protective software and never had a problem. I use Firefox now though, I forget why I switched. I think I just wanted to try it and never switched back.

wmgaretjax
09-16-2008, 03:16 PM

Firefox > Opera > Safari > Chrome > IE > NN

Hannahrain
09-16-2008, 04:00 PM
I loved Opera up until it started causing problems with the rest of my programs for some reason. Steve Jobs doesn't want me to use Opera.

frozen pilgrim
09-16-2008, 04:06 PM
source?!

I used IE for a long time with good protective software and never had a problem. I use Firefox now though, I forget why I switched. I think I just wanted to try it and never switched back.

heh let's put it this way:
if it weren't for IE's early market dominance, norton would've gone out of business.

I can find a source if you really want, it was a factoid that got spread all over the place around firefox's big explosion in popularity a few years ago.
on cnet somewhere I bet

Memorial_07
09-16-2008, 04:56 PM
IE is better and faster

Courtney
09-16-2008, 04:58 PM
I like Firefox because it has so many useful add-ons. Although to be fair I haven't fully explored all the other choices because I have no reason to be discontent.

marooko
09-16-2008, 05:34 PM
I can find a source if you really want, it was a factoid that got spread all over the place around firefox's big explosion in popularity a few years ago.
on cnet somewhere I bet

makes me think its some makeshift statistic to pump up a product over another.

BROKENDOLL
09-16-2008, 05:44 PM
I now have Safari on my desktop and don't remember how it got there... I have Firefox and IE...Should I give the Safari a try?

TheWatcher
09-16-2008, 06:47 PM
I just started looking at Safari, as I am trying to update some web pages to work with all the major browsers.

Safari has got the "Mac" look and feel, which is kind of annoying. The menus are not as easy to use as in IE or Firefox.

It seems faster than all the other browsers tested. This is on Windows XP/SP3, compared to IE6, IE7, Firefox 3 and Opera 9.5.2.

I am not sure if the gaping security holes found in Safari for Windows are fixed or not. Too lazy to check right now (splitting headache).

Anyway, can't hurt to try it.

Firefox > IE6 > Safari > Opera > IE7

suprefan
09-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Use the Google browser, theres your answer..

RotationSlimWang
09-18-2008, 02:06 AM
Who thinks Chrome is faster than Firefox? It ain't. So far I'm loving Chrome, although it still has a few glitches. But technically Opera is faster than Firefox (recommended for getting onsale tickets. Cna't wait to see how Chrome performs in that respect.)

Boourns
09-18-2008, 02:07 AM

Exactly right.

Wait, netscape still exists? Even Netscape Gold, circa 1998 > any internet explorer

Chrome doesn't seem to hog resources as badly as Firefox. What's worst is when you close out of firefox and come back 20 minutes or 20 hours later, attempt to open firefox and get a message that it is still running and to close out of it, and then task manager says firefox.exe is using 200 megs or more of memory. Haven't had that happen on mac or even XP, just vista, naturally.

RotationSlimWang
09-18-2008, 02:19 AM
Firefox has always had a memory leak in it, has nothing to do with Vista specifically.

boarderwoozel3
09-18-2008, 02:27 AM
Sneaky fox...

Boourns
09-18-2008, 03:12 AM
Yeah, the memory leak is something that they seem unwilling to ever fix and it's universal, but not so much the "once or twice a week, closing out of firefox doesn't actually close out of it" thing.

I am liking Chrome. If it had ad-block, it'd be perfect.

kroqken
11-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Firefox is the best!

moomoo
11-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Chrome is faster than any browser I have ever tested. Firefox has always been a failure on my computers for unknown reasons-- slow and huge amount unexplained crashes.. That could just be my case...

Firefox does win in the case of addons though. Could be useful.

BlackSwan
11-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Opera.

TheWatcher
11-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Firefox. The addons make up for all the issues with memory. I don't ever see ads! I do wish they would make some effort to fix the major issues which have been a problem since about v3.0.7. For example, the large memory usage that does not go down after tabs are closed. Although, I have not seen the issue with the message that firefox.exe is still running, when I open it, as often as before. I guess they are trying to fix that.

To be fair, I have not tried IE8, or the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Opera.

menikmati
11-16-2009, 07:42 PM
I hope you were joking when you listed IE6 as your 2nd choice. Good luck trying to do any CSS coding with that browser.

malcolmjamalawesome
11-16-2009, 07:46 PM
I hope you were joking when you listed IE6 as your 2nd choice. Good luck trying to do any CSS coding with that browser.

Well, it doesn't get much nerdier than this one.

leo01g
11-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Opera. Lightning speed

TheWatcher
11-16-2009, 09:46 PM

Well, if we are talking about coding, I guess it's different. I was talking about personal preference in usability. Not liking the GUI for IE7. Firefox is still the best to code for. HTML Validator, DOM Inspector, and Web Developer make things easy.

I was updating a bunch of web pages about a year ago, the company had previously only supported IE6, IE7 and Safari (on Mac only). I was adding support for Opera, Firefox, Safari (on Windows) and Chrome. I actually was able to get the CSS working in IE6. Though I know it's broken.

But, there were issues with each browser, including Safari and Opera. In addition to the CSS issues, we had to deal with localization, with 10 languages that all had to work, including Thai and Chinese, and also the server was at the time a proprietary java server running on Japanese Solaris.

HunterGather
11-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Safari is the best one.
i AM biased.
Firefox is very close 2nd, but I've gotten to used to Safari, that I prefer it more.
Never tried Opera, I don't think.

Using IE if you have a choice is just silly.