PDA

View Full Version : The Women

M Sparks
09-11-2008, 01:23 PM
This movie would have flown right under my radar normally, but as of this moment it has a ZERO percent on Rotten Tomatoes. That's really rare. There's only 27 reviews so far, but still, that's quite a bit to still have a zero. Usually, some moron on some website will post something positive by the time you get into the teens.

I'm fascinated by complete train-wreck movies. Most movies are just mediocre. It takes something special to produce a complete pile of shit. If they can stay under 10%, I might have to check this out.

One of the review quotes just says "What in heaven's name has Meg Ryan done to her face? "

EDIT- more of the review, whch is from the Philidelphia Weekly...

"The once-adorable Ryan has for some insane reason artificially inflated her lips to Jolie proportions, and thus spends the entire running time struggling with a severe inability to enunciate vowel sounds without looking like she’s doing a bad Mick Jagger impersonation...It’s frankly difficult to look at Ryan’s trout pout for any extended period of time without growing sad, and for a movie to contain as many jokes about plastic surgery as this one does without even the slightest acknowledgment of the obvious makes the gags (some of which are actually pretty good) feel more like thrown stones from a gigantic glass house.

...(Eva Mendes, of the bodacious curves and flat line readings)...

...the first and most obvious mistake was to shoot in Boston and have everybody just pretend it’s New York. (The two cities couldn’t possibly look less alike.)"

The rest of it isn't as mean, and actually says it's better than Sex & The City. Sounds like it might just be boring, rather than a massive disaster :( .

amyzzz
09-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Damn. I used to really like Meg Ryan. She was so damn cute.

menikmati
09-11-2008, 01:29 PM
In The Cut was a piece of shit. That's all I have to say.

amyzzz
09-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Agreed. I like that other guy usually too. Mark Ruffalo?

sbessiso
09-11-2008, 02:00 PM
aww this looks really good too.

Quadromarshia
09-11-2008, 02:06 PM
I saw an advert for this, and I thought it was either sex and the city, or sisterhood of the traveling pants or w/e. It seems so awful, but I want to see it for some reason...

sbessiso
09-11-2008, 02:10 PM
I would never watch sisterhood of the travelling pants!!

thestripe
09-11-2008, 03:24 PM
This movie would have flown right under my radar normally, but as of this moment it has a ZERO percent on Rotten Tomatoes. That's really rare. There's only 27 reviews so far, but still, that's quite a bit to still have a zero. Usually, some moron on some website will post something positive by the time you get into the teens.

I'm fascinated by complete train-wreck movies. Most movies are just mediocre. It takes something special to produce a complete pile of shit. If they can stay under 10%, I might have to check this out.

One of the review quotes just says "What in heaven's name has Meg Ryan done to her face? "

EDIT- more of the review, whch is from the Philidelphia Weekly...

"The once-adorable Ryan has for some insane reason artificially inflated her lips to Jolie proportions, and thus spends the entire running time struggling with a severe inability to enunciate vowel sounds without looking like sheís doing a bad Mick Jagger impersonation...Itís frankly difficult to look at Ryanís trout pout for any extended period of time without growing sad, and for a movie to contain as many jokes about plastic surgery as this one does without even the slightest acknowledgment of the obvious makes the gags (some of which are actually pretty good) feel more like thrown stones from a gigantic glass house.

...(Eva Mendes, of the bodacious curves and flat line readings)...

...the first and most obvious mistake was to shoot in Boston and have everybody just pretend itís New York. (The two cities couldnít possibly look less alike.)"

The rest of it isn't as mean, and actually says it's better than Sex & The City. Sounds like it might just be boring, rather than a massive disaster :( .

I saw Meg in some piece of shit movie awhile back and her face was so stiff that she couldn't even show emotion. It was like watching a mannequin cry.

amyzzz
09-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Too much botox, eh? Nicole Kidman seems to be suffering from extremely-smooth-shiny-forehead herself.

allyjoy
09-11-2008, 04:07 PM
I want to see it for Jada... she plays a lesbian... *le sigh*

locachica73
09-11-2008, 04:09 PM
I saw her on some late night show (thanks to my insomnia) and that girl is frickin hot. And I have always had a thing for will smith. I would like to be sandwiched between the two.

PotVsKtl
09-11-2008, 04:56 PM
The original is fantastic.

BlackSwan
09-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Meg Ryan had a phase where she was really hot.

BlackSwan
09-11-2008, 05:33 PM
there it is...
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r97/Uzi_Rider/meg_ryan.jpg

Mr. Dylanja
09-11-2008, 05:55 PM
I was always more of a Pfeiffer fan myself...
http://www.imnotobsessed.com/more/pfeiffer-hairspray.jpg

locachica73
09-11-2008, 05:56 PM
she just gets better with age.

Mr. Dylanja
09-11-2008, 05:57 PM
such a cougar...

sbessiso
09-11-2008, 06:56 PM
aw man, DEFINITLY a little straight for michelle Pfeiffer

HunterGather
09-11-2008, 08:05 PM
The tv commercials make me cringe when the voice-over guy says "this friday, celebrate The Women"

sbessiso
09-11-2008, 08:16 PM
so funny, me too! more so though, I look at the font coloring of it, "The Wo" is in blue and "Men" is some other color. it's so weird

PotVsKtl
09-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Shut the fuck up.

Pixiessp
09-11-2008, 11:10 PM
The original is fantastic.

are you talking about the one with Claudette Colbert?

M Sparks
09-12-2008, 07:56 AM
The tv commercials make me cringe when the voice-over guy says "this friday, celebrate The Women"

(Shudder) I haven't heard it, but I can imagine it. Pause after "Friday", accent on "The" and "This". Horrifying.

It's up to 10% on Rotten Tomatoes :(

Young blood
09-12-2008, 07:57 AM
how meg ryan got her groove back.

M Sparks
09-12-2008, 08:03 AM
are you talking about the one with Claudette Colbert?

It's got Rosalyn Russel and Joan Crawford...I don't recall Claudette being in it. But I don't know, it has a ton of characters.

Supposedly, it was a consolation prize for everyone that didn't get hired to play Scarlett in Gone With The Wind.

PotVsKtl
09-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Norma Shearer
Joan Crawford
Rosalind Russell
Mary Boland
Paulette Goddard

amyzzz
09-12-2008, 11:12 AM
I think I've seen the original, but I really don't remember much about it (didn't make much of an impression on me I guess).

PotVsKtl
09-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Then why would you mention it? Shut the fuck up Amy.

PotVsKtl
09-12-2008, 11:16 AM
IMPORTANT UPDATE: I HAVE NOTHING TO ADD AND I'M TELLING YOU ABOUT IT. I'M GOING TO GO DIE IN A LEPER WOMB NOW.

PassiveTheory
09-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Sweet.

amyzzz
09-12-2008, 12:10 PM
I knew Pot would say that.

Pixiessp
09-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Norma Shearer
Joan Crawford
Rosalind Russell
Mary Boland
Paulette Goddard

yes yes!!! norma shearer. I love that movie. I think Rosalind Russell was in a later version though. there was one in color and one in black and white.

gmoneyak
09-12-2008, 08:46 PM
I'll watch the 17 minutes that has Eva Mendes in it.

PotVsKtl
09-13-2008, 12:29 AM
yes yes!!! norma shearer. I love that movie. I think Rosalind Russell was in a later version though. there was one in color and one in black and white.

No.

M Sparks
09-13-2008, 10:24 AM
I think I'll save my money for "Coming Up Daisy" with Dermot Mulroney and Claire Danes. That looks way shittier. :D