PDA

View Full Version : So, it's Sunday night of Coachella 2009, and the headline act is about to come on...

Stefinitely Maybe
09-10-2008, 04:50 PM
and you have no idea who it's going to be, because Goldenvoice have decided to keep it a huge 10th anniversary secret, and even the media don't know, and on the lineup posters there's just a massive question mark, and you're standing there, and you're really hungry from a day out in the desert, and suddenly a massive sign lights up above the main stage and confirms that, yes, The Smiths are about to play their first reunion gig, and everyone starts screaming and cheering.

But then, exactly at that moment, there's ALSO an announcement that In'n'Out have just opened a food stall, way over towards the Sahara Tent.

WHAT DO YOU DO?

(I had a few drinks with sonofhal earlier this week, and we had this conversation. I went for the second option.)

sbessiso
09-10-2008, 04:52 PM
the drugs should curb my appetite until after THE FUCKING SMITHS play

Stefinitely Maybe
09-10-2008, 04:56 PM

No, the In'n'Out stall will close before The Fucking Smiths finish their set. You cannot have both. Just one. Cake or death?

paulb
09-10-2008, 04:57 PM
food, fuck smiths until ive actually heard their stuff

Memorial_07
09-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Watch Morrisey and Company until they start to piss me off or just flat out suck. Or until after they play "Is it really so strange?"

then I probably leave and go to the in-n-out that is on my way home and avoid the line of the century

sbessiso
09-10-2008, 04:58 PM
No, the In'n'Out stall will close before The Fucking Smiths finish their set. You cannot have both. Just one. Cake or death?

then I will eat Morrissey

Memorial_07
09-10-2008, 05:00 PM
then I will eat Morrissey

And he can't eat back.
He's vegan

feather
09-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Keeping the headlining act a secret is a very interesting idea...would GV ever do that?

sbessiso
09-10-2008, 05:01 PM
I can be Vegan friendly

I can lie about it at least

feather
09-10-2008, 05:02 PM
And he can't eat back.
He's vegan

Woo for Vegans! Probably the only thing Morrissey and I have in common.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-10-2008, 05:02 PM
how come the poll closed down already?

sbessiso
09-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Woo for Vegans! Probably the only thing Morrissey and I have in common.

that and you're both rainbowlicious

PassiveTheory
09-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Uh.

THE SMITHS.

That's all that needs to be said.

loveless
09-10-2008, 05:11 PM
I can't imagine Goldenvoice going through with a secret headliner. They might as well announce the lineup then randomize who plays what day without telling you before you enter - Ha! Interesting thought, though.

Back to the poll, the Smiths no question. Waiting in line for fast food is a waste of Coachella time.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-10-2008, 05:12 PM
If they got the Smiths next year...I might have to sell my soul to Paul T....so yeah it won't happen.

sbessiso
09-10-2008, 05:13 PM
pfft....what soul?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-10-2008, 05:14 PM
However, as I stated before I DID have a dream of something like this happening and the Smiths opening with How Soon Is Now?. Mind you I had a dream of hearing Darkside Of the Moon on the polo fields and look what happened...

apostle2
a secret headliner would be the most retarded idea in the history of live music.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
pfft....what soul?

the one you've been trying to rob slowly....

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
a secret headliner would be the most retarded idea in the history of live music.

well, yeah but if it was The Smiths it would kill.....

Memorial_07
09-10-2008, 05:16 PM

why?
it would only be retarded if the "surprise" headliner turned out to be Jack Johnson. then mass riots would start.

But the idea of a secret headliner (as long as it is a great one) is a brilliant idea.
Especially since it's the tenth year

sbessiso
09-10-2008, 05:16 PM
but can tickets sell like that?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-10-2008, 05:18 PM

most likely...since it would have to be someone WORTHY of it. Bowie, The Smiths, Talking Heads? All Worthy....

Memorial_07
09-10-2008, 05:19 PM
yeah.
It's kind of like luring them in

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Ok...so I made a small list but who would be worthy of the surprise headliner?
Any takers?

Memorial_07
09-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Ok...so I made a small list but who would be worthy of the surprise headliner?
Any takers?

Who did you put on your list?

sbessiso
I dunno man, I love the idea of a surprise headliner ESPECIALLY if its the smiths or Bowie or T Heads etc. etc., but it's just not REALISTIC, marcopolo

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
Who did you put on your list?

Bowie, The Smiths, Talking Heads

apostle2
09-10-2008, 05:22 PM

No, and that's why it would never be done. Yes, there are maybe 5,000 people that would realize what a secret headliner means. But Goldenvoice know those people would most likely come no matter who is booked anyway. How is not naming the biggest band on the line up going to draw the other tens of thousands of people who know 20 bands (maybe) on the line up.

Also, not mentioning the band that they are more than likely paying the most money for seems like a genious business move. Really using that capital there.

Also, I'm sure whatever band we're talking about would also greatly appreciate not getting to advertise their huge show WHATSOEVER

Memorial_07
09-10-2008, 05:23 PM
All three days will have surprise headliners and those will be it.

But my three would probably be NIN, Talking Heads and I'm still having a problem on the third one

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-10-2008, 05:23 PM
I dunno man, I love the idea of a surprise headliner ESPECIALLY if its the smiths or Bowie or T Heads etc. etc., but it's just not REALISTIC, marcopolo

Oh hell no it is realistic if it is the Smiths...for the other two maybe though...

sbessiso
09-10-2008, 05:26 PM
NIN? c'moooon memorial, I just don't understand everyone choosing these bands that are touring the whole world to headline coachella. I want the white stripes' first gig since 07, outkast, and Bowie. Am I being greedy?

feather
09-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Well if you like surprises/it actually turned out to be a good headliner/if the headliner sucks you run to the Sahara; a secret wouldn't be so bad.

apostle2
09-10-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm not saying I wouldn't want a secret headliner, that is a fanboys ultimate fantasy set up. I'm just saying it will never happen because it is fucking stupid from a business standpoint, it's legitimately the exact opposite of what every festival actually tries to do.

Memorial_07
09-10-2008, 05:31 PM
NIN? c'moooon memorial, I just don't understand everyone choosing these bands that are touring the whole world to headline coachella. I want the white stripes' first gig since 07, outkast, and Bowie. Am I being greedy?

Well, if they are touring at the time it's just a better chance for them to play. And at least I put down Talking Heads.
But really Salah?
White Stripes headlining? So what if they haven't played since '07. Doesn't mean they are headliner worthy.

But Outkast Bowie would be fine with me too

sbessiso
09-10-2008, 05:32 PM
they are indeed worthy of headlining Friday, my friend. no doubt about it

boarderwoozel3
09-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Bowie, The Smiths, Talking Heads

Yes. Yes. And hell yes!

Epichella.

And The Smiths are great, you B-line it to the front of the stage, push bitches out of the way if necessary (quasi-apologize right afterward, they'll get over it).

Memorial_07
09-10-2008, 05:36 PM
they are indeed worthy of headlining Friday, my friend. no doubt about it

Ok. Friday.
Co-headliner at least.

You persuaded me.

sbessiso
09-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Bowie, Talking Heads & The Smiths?

I've never done E three days in a row before, could be fun, could be disastrous

Ok. Friday.
Co-headliner at least.

You persuaded me.

CLEARLY, you've never seen them live before. There's a reason The White Stripes' set at Bonnaroo last year still remains at the top of my all-time greatest shows list

Memorial_07
09-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Moderation is the key

rskapcat
09-10-2008, 07:29 PM
The Smiths. I don't eat cow. :)

Young blood
09-10-2008, 07:33 PM
GO BANANA!

thewindowliquor
09-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Dude, you fucking eat before you make your way to the fucking stage to watch the headliner. You eat at like 2 or 3 pm when everyone is watching.. the.. fucking raconteurs or something stupid.

I would never be hungry right before the fucking smiths came on. I would never be stupid enough to make that drastic a mistake.

thewindowliquor
09-10-2008, 07:40 PM
There's a reason The White Stripes' set at Bonnaroo last year still remains at the top of my all-time greatest shows list

And what is that reason? You just haven't seen very many shows?

feather
09-10-2008, 10:10 PM

...will definitely leave you with intense post-Coachella depression. Worth it at the time though! Salah I actually know people who pop E almost everyday...CRAZY! As far as eating at Coachella its not the first thing on my mind, those Vegan wraps are tasty though.

TomAz
09-10-2008, 10:16 PM
I would buy a dozen cheeseburgers and throw them at morissey and make him cry. well, cry more, at least. then when they played How Soon Is Now i would get out my dollar bills for the strippers.

the smiths are ridiculous garbage.

thewindowliquor
09-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Damn Tom. That is some harsh, hateful shit right there.

stinkbutt
09-10-2008, 10:20 PM
GO BANANA!

I bent my wookie

TomAz
09-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Damn Tom. That is some harsh, hateful shit right there.

in 20 years young people will be talking about the awesomeness of Vampire Weekend and how much "Oxford Comma" meant to them growing up and how it would be so incredible if ________ paid them $15 million to headline ______ and you'll be thinking, my god, what a bunch of fucktards, this is Vampire Weekend we're talking about here. a shit band with fucktard fans. And then, you will understand where I'm coming from.

thewindowliquor
09-10-2008, 10:33 PM
hahahaha. funny. maybe not totally untrue. still very hateful.

Boourns
09-10-2008, 11:46 PM
The difference is nobody will remember Vampire Weekend next year.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-11-2008, 05:43 AM
I would buy a dozen cheeseburgers and throw them at morissey and make him cry. well, cry more, at least. then when they played How Soon Is Now i would get out my dollar bills for the strippers.

the smiths are ridiculous garbage.

I forget how much Tom hates the smiths. And while I don't like strip clubs, the idea of How Soon Is Now being played there is pretty hot.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-11-2008, 05:44 AM
Dude, you fucking eat before you make your way to the fucking stage to watch the headliner. You eat at like 2 or 3 pm when everyone is watching.. the.. fucking raconteurs or something stupid.

I would never be hungry right before the fucking smiths came on. I would never be stupid enough to make that drastic a mistake.

You know have the coolest avatar on the board in my book. I love Nic Endo's work.

sbessiso
09-11-2008, 05:58 AM
And what is that reason? You just haven't seen very many shows?

I'm going to ignore this!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-11-2008, 07:22 AM
Yes. Yes. And hell yes!

Epichella.

And The Smiths are great, you B-line it to the front of the stage, push bitches out of the way if necessary (quasi-apologize right afterward, they'll get over it).

I don't think the fan boys on the board could take it if those indeed were the 3 headliners. Half the board would have heart attacks and the attendance for Coachella would drop because of it.

Quadromarshia
09-11-2008, 07:36 AM
Opening with How Soon Is Now? I my heart would explode if they opened with Barbarism Begins At Home.

Talking Heads? Not going to happen. What is possible is the Tom Tom Club, and that would be great because they might bring DEVO with them. The Smiths, Tom Tom Club/DEVO, and Bowie? On top of a slew of other great acts? I don't think I would stop screaming all weekend.

sbessiso
09-11-2008, 07:38 AM
Throw in Oingo Boingo! I would destroy a lung for oingo boingo

Tylerdurden31
09-11-2008, 08:05 AM
Cake or death?

Alright...then I'll have the chicken!

M Sparks
09-11-2008, 08:22 AM
food, fuck smiths until ive actually heard their stuff

* picks up jaw *

M Sparks
09-11-2008, 08:23 AM
What is possible is the Tom Tom Club, and that would be great because they might bring DEVO with them.

What's the connection?

M Sparks
09-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Throw in Oingo Boingo! I would destroy a lung for oingo boingo

They still occupy my all time #1 best show slot.

sbessiso
09-11-2008, 08:27 AM
They still occupy my all time #1 best show slot.

I'm SOO jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I so wish they would get back together

captncrzy
09-11-2008, 08:30 AM
I have an In N Out by my house. And my office. I eat there all the time (3x3 protien style and a diet coke). It would never be worth missing a Smiths reunion.

sbessiso
09-11-2008, 08:30 AM
There are zero IN N Outs in Florida. I've never been!

captncrzy
09-11-2008, 08:37 AM
It's not that big of a deal. It's a cheeseburger. It's better than it's cheeseburger cousins from McDonalds and whatnot, but in the end....Smiths>cheeseburgers.

humanoid
09-11-2008, 09:20 AM

fuck yes! who needs food at a moment like this!!!?!??!

orbit
09-11-2008, 09:49 AM
i hope morrissey himself made the announcement that in n out have just opened in the sahara.

then, i could take a couple of pictures and leave. i haven't been in in n out in years, so assuming i'm really hungry i would probably leave the stage after one and a half song.

sbessiso
09-11-2008, 09:52 AM
b-b-but it's THE SMITHS!! I'm a bigboy and I would pass up yummy burgers and fries for them

downingthief
09-11-2008, 10:31 AM
in 20 years young people will be talking about the awesomeness of Vampire Weekend and how much "Oxford Comma" meant to them growing up and how it would be so incredible if ________ paid them $15 million to headline ______ and you'll be thinking, my god, what a bunch of fucktards, this is Vampire Weekend we're talking about here. a shit band with fucktard fans. And then, you will understand where I'm coming from.

Tom, comparing the brilliance that is the Smiths to Vampire Weekend, is like trying to compare lobster to dog shit.

Tylerdurden31
09-11-2008, 11:10 AM

i think you and i would get along

amyzzz
09-11-2008, 11:12 AM
SMITHS all the way. Fuck in-and-out.

amyzzz
09-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Jesus, Tom. Just go to ANOTHER FUCKING STAGE. Smiths fans have been waiting for this for 21 YEARS. Let us be and let us have our fantasy made reality.

Jon Blazed
09-11-2008, 11:19 AM
One cheeseburger, animal style please.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Tom, now I can understand if you dislike a certain band. But can you at least respect what they have done? I mean The Smiths are probably the biggest influence to the Coachella type bands then almost anyone else. Even Radiohead, Thom Yorke once said (correct me if I am wrong) that while the band has very different taste in music, all can agree on The Smiths. Or, then again it might be the old man in you. My father hated Pink Floyd growing up simply because everyone loved them so much. Only recently has he given them a chance and now actually likes them. Even when he disliked them though he respected everything that they did.

On a side note: I dislike The Rolling Stones but respect what they did. Same goes for Dr. Dre.

amyzzz
09-11-2008, 11:35 AM
I used to write fan letters to Morrissey. I don't think I did that for any one artist ever, although I was tempted to for Trent Reznor.

faxman75
09-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Keeping the headlining act a secret is a very interesting idea...would GV ever do that?

i think it would be a wonderful new idea. You got three days, announce two and keep one big surprise.

Jon Blazed
09-11-2008, 11:42 AM
I can't believe what I am hearing at all...

The Stones eat The Smiths for breakfest and I am sure they have influenced way more bands that have played Coachella than The Smiths...That is for sure.

The Smiths influenced 15 year old girls to make out with me in Jr. High School. Thats all.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-11-2008, 11:44 AM
The Smiths influenced 15 year old girls to make out with me in Jr. High School. Thats all.

Jesus, you'd think you would at least give them credit for getting you some ass.

amyzzz
09-11-2008, 11:46 AM
I don't think Morrissey solo is all that relevant anymore (loved him in the 90's but I couldn't listen to the last CD more than once :/), but THE SMITHS would kick ass. It's too bad Moz and Marr didn't give the other two some royalties. That's kind of lame of them. I'm afraid they won't ever reunite because of all their lawsuit difficulties.

Jon Blazed
09-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Jesus, you'd think you would at least give them credit for getting you some ass.

I thought I did credit them with that.

captncrzy
09-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Tom, comparing the brilliance that is the Smiths to Vampire Weekend, is like trying to compare lobster to dog shit.

QFT

humanoid
09-11-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm not going to try and convince anyone to like the Smiths. They are the one with the gaping void in their life, but it's not my fault or responsibility to fix it

amyzzz
09-11-2008, 01:39 PM
I don't understand how Tom can discount all the incredible wit in Smiths' lyrics. I know he's whiny--I guess that's part of why I can relate--but he's fucking brilliant too. In all the songs where he's moaning and miserable about his life/his sexuality/his shyness, he still cracks jokes, which I think is so awesome.

boarderwoozel3
09-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Tom, now I can understand if you dislike a certain band. But can you at least respect what they have done? I mean The Smiths are probably the biggest influence to the Coachella type bands then almost anyone else. Even Radiohead, Thom Yorke once said (correct me if I am wrong) that while the band has very different taste in music, all can agree on The Smiths. Or, then again it might be the old man in you. My father hated Pink Floyd growing up simply because everyone loved them so much. Only recently has he given them a chance and now actually likes them. Even when he disliked them though he respected everything that they did.

On a side note: I dislike The Rolling Stones but respect what they did. Same goes for Dr. Dre.

Correct sir. Unfortunately some people around here are a bit too jaded.

Memorial_07
09-11-2008, 04:16 PM

CLEARLY, you've never seen them live before. There's a reason The White Stripes' set at Bonnaroo last year still remains at the top of my all-time greatest shows list

No I've never seen them.

But their DVD performance of Coachella looks like it was a lot of fun

Memorial_07
09-11-2008, 04:17 PM
And speaking of Morrisey:
Henry Rollins' interview about him is good because he has some valid points.

You should all check it out

amyzzz
09-11-2008, 04:50 PM
link?

Memorial_07
09-11-2008, 06:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP1UnKV4Gf0

boarderwoozel3
09-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Damn thats hateful.

Memorial_07
09-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Rollins just doesn't give a fuck

sbessiso
09-11-2008, 06:43 PM
No I've never seen them.

But their DVD performance of Coachella looks like it was a lot of fun

They will blow your mind and fuck your brains out. By the end of it, you will be in love with J.White, that's my guarantee

boarderwoozel3
09-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Rollins just doesn't give a fuck

Geez. Apparently not.

sbessiso
09-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Rollins is on some kind of spoken word tour or something, I dont really get it/care, but he's doing TWO nights here!

Memorial_07
09-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Yeah my brother saw him in NOLA (god damn it)

he said he was extremely funny and insightful

Hopeless Semantic
09-11-2008, 10:19 PM
I would have to go with catch Morrissey and Marr over tons of fat and besides, In N' Out is not worth missing any headliner...

Memorial_07
09-12-2008, 06:37 AM
People always seem to forget Jack Johnson