PDA

View Full Version : White Noise

algunz
09-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Alright, here goes. We need to figure out a reasonable reading schedule. Some (amy) have already started, some have already read it, and we don't want to spoil it for those that have never read it.

Any suggestions? Chapters, page #s, how do we want to break it up?

SoulDischarge
09-02-2008, 01:50 AM
I was looking through and it seems to divide into three sections of roughly 100 pages pretty easily. Would that be ok for everyone?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
09-02-2008, 06:14 AM
when I saw the white noise title, I thought it was about Merzbow.

fatbastard
09-02-2008, 06:31 AM
I'm going to the library today to return some books and pick this one up.

amyzzz
09-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Sorry, algunz, I needed something to read, and I wanted to start. The book is picking up a little now. I'm for the 100 page break-up, and I'll try to stop reading.

TomAz
09-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Did you get to the part where it turns out she's really a he?

algunz
09-02-2008, 03:24 PM
*Spoiler alert* :rolleyes

100 pages over a week? so we can start posting impressions on the first 100 pages over the next week and then the next 100 next Tuesday etc?

If you don't want a spoiler, don't click on the thread until you've finished the 100 pages.

SoulDischarge
09-02-2008, 03:43 PM
To clarify, and to prevent confusion due to different editions, it breaks down pretty nicely into chapters 1-20, 21-30, and 31-40. I'm ok with a week, although if everyone wants to move quicker, I'd be ok with that too. So far I'm loving it and it's hard to put down.

sbessiso
09-02-2008, 03:53 PM
oh God I'm stupid, I thought it had something to do with either the Michael Keaton stink-fest, or the "actual phenomenon" of ghosts contacting through tv static. heehee

amyzzz
09-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Oh damnit. I picked up the wrong book.

amyzzz
09-02-2008, 03:56 PM
just kidding

algunz
09-02-2008, 05:49 PM
To clarify, and to prevent confusion due to different editions, it breaks down pretty nicely into chapters 1-20, 21-30, and 31-40. I'm ok with a week, although if everyone wants to move quicker, I'd be ok with that too. So far I'm loving it and it's hard to put down.

This is an excellent point. This plan sounds perfect.

Blinken
09-02-2008, 07:06 PM
I will pick it up sometime this week.

Pixiessp
09-02-2008, 08:34 PM

wtf? thanks a lot Tom.

Pixiessp
09-03-2008, 02:24 PM
wow!!!! this book is great!! I'm on page 90 now. that would be 2 pages from chapter 19. these are very small chapters. Algunz, are you going to start the discussion soon? I can suppress my urge to read on (bites knuckle and grimaces).

Pixiessp
09-03-2008, 02:28 PM
*Spoiler alert* :rolleyes

100 pages over a week? so we can start posting impressions on the first 100 pages over the next week and then the next 100 next Tuesday etc?

If you don't want a spoiler, don't click on the thread until you've finished the 100 pages.

you know, i read this post already and still I posted above. sorry.
waiting patiently.

amyzzz
09-03-2008, 03:33 PM
I think I've read too much. The children in the family seem very precocious. I'm not sure what I can say beyond that. And I like that Murray guy--he has interesting ideas.

algunz
09-03-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm totally enjoying the beginning. It's making me rather nostalgiac. (Damn, I loved college.)

Anywho . . . I'm wrestling with the Hitler Studies. I figure it's meant to be ironic. You have this college town and this world obsessed with the material - status, gadgets, and labels. Even the buildings have fancy labels, a "neoclassical high school." (7) The family is kind of caught in this odd limbo. But . . . why Hitler studies housed in the "popular culture department." (9)

I adore DeLillo's random details: "She needed my semen for a divorce suit." (11)

The beginning of this story reminds me of Radiohead's "No Surprises."

Pixiessp
09-03-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure,as of yet, where the significance of Jack's obsession with Hitler comes in. Maybe as I read further it will make more sense.

Those kids are not only precocious but downright scary. I don't know any child who is so aware at such an early age. They are so inquisitive.

I am really into this book. I already superanalyze almost anything and now
I am more aware of the little things that I wouldn't normally pay attention to.

TomAz
09-04-2008, 08:57 AM
You've established a wonderful thing here with Hitler. You created it, you nurtured it. . . . He is now your Hitler. I marvel at the effort. It was masterful, shrewd and stunningly preemptive. It's what I want to do with Elvis.

this is one of the funniest lines I have ever read in a book.

algunz
09-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Agreed, Tom. I have had no choice but to chuckle outloud a few times so far, that above quote definitely being one of them.

SoulDischarge
09-04-2008, 12:07 PM
I haven't laughed this hard at a book since "A Confederacy Of Dunces."

amyzzz
09-04-2008, 04:34 PM
I like when the professors (Grappa, Cotsakis, the narrator guy, and Murray) discuss random things and try to outdo each other:
"Did you ever brush your teeth with your finger?"
"I brushed my teeth with my finger the first time I stayed overnight at my wife's parents' house....
"Forgetting my toothbrush is a fetish with me....I brushed my teeth with my finger at Woodstock, Altamont, Monterey, about a dozen other events"
"I brushed my teeth with my finger after the Ali-Forman fight in Zaire...."

They come up with my most ridiculous details that no one could possibly remember.

wmgaretjax
09-04-2008, 04:36 PM
This is probably the only book I have ever guffawed at. I've chuckled before, but never guffawed.

algunz
09-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Nothin' better than a good guffaw.

Screw this computer thing. I'm gonna go read.

amyzzz
09-04-2008, 05:57 PM
I guffawed at the book last night at 9:25pm while a blue bolt of lightning flashed outside my window. It struck a tree at that very moment which has still not been cleaned up by the HOA.

Pixiessp
09-04-2008, 06:30 PM
the finger brushing discussion was hilarious Amyzzz. I have had to resort to doing that in my wild past but i certainly cannot pinpoint when or who I was with etc. I am now at the Airborne Toxic Event section. I took a breather because I would have read almost all of it by now had I not abstained.

fatbastard
09-05-2008, 06:16 AM
I picked this book up last night.

FYI, LA central library is almost out of this book. Only 2 copies currently available, 1 in Brentwood and 1 in the valley.

algunz
09-09-2008, 05:45 PM
That airplane scenario reminded of the movie . . . "Crash Positions!!!"

Jack's wives and children are strong, but he just seems so disconnected and now he is even one more step displaced from Baba because now she has become an image on TV.

It was interesting how he "bathed" in his son's crying. It's like he can only feel emotion through others.

amyzzz
09-10-2008, 10:32 AM
I've finished the book and I understand everything.

algunz
09-10-2008, 12:09 PM
It's good to know that we got that going for us.

Do you have anything to share about section II?

amyzzz
09-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Are we talking about section II now? The airborne toxic event part?

algunz
09-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I didn't think I should start a whole thread. Should I?

amyzzz
09-10-2008, 12:32 PM
I was trying to figure out what kind of book this was supposed to be up to and after the toxic airborne event because I didn't realize it was a comedy until after that and until I read a lot of your reactions to this. Ugh. I need to do much more intelligent reading. I've been reading way too much easy horror and sci-fi. I went into this thinking maybe it was horror.

SoulDischarge
09-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Just let us know when we should be getting where. Or does it really matter?

I really like when he describes something, he'll give a pretty basic description for a paragraph and then have a sentence or two at the end that doesn't seem to be related but puts everything in a totally different context. The writing reminds me of being on hallucinogens. There's all this heightened awareness and emphasis on seemingly mundane details that makes them seem significant. It's fascinating to follow the connections Jack makes in his head. I also love the interactions between the family and that whole part about misinformation turning into truth between families as a protective measure.

algunz
09-10-2008, 02:07 PM
I think all the number stuff is cool.

This morning I filled my gas tank. I was in such a hurry that I didn't check the pump before I pulled out the nozzle and gas dribbled down the side of my car and onto my toes. I turned back to the gauge and the number was 65.64. It has been bugging me all day. Whenever I pump gas, I will always click the pump until the price gauge ends in a 5 or a 0. Always, but not today. Now I'm afraid to drive home.

"The power of numbers is never more evident than when we use them to speculate on the time of our dying." (99)

algunz
09-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Just let us know when we should be getting where. Or does it really matter?

Technically we should be discussing section II now until Tuesday. But it seems that most are reading faster than that, so we could change it.

TomAz
09-10-2008, 11:13 PM
I personally find section II tedious compared to section I. Heresy. but seriously he starts the book with this pointed parody of self-serious pseudointellectuals then he becomes one himself.

thewindowliquor
09-10-2008, 11:15 PM
I've finished the book and I understand everything.

This really really makes me want to read this book.

algunz
09-11-2008, 07:54 AM
I personally find section II tedious compared to section I. Heresy. but seriously he starts the book with this pointed parody of self-serious pseudointellectuals then he becomes one himself.

Was he really making fun of anybody? Jack just kind of sits back, observes, and revels in other people's lives and thoughts. He doesn't know what to think almost how to think. His kids know more about what he thinks than he does.

amyzzz
09-11-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm just wondering why he's had so many wives (and children with various wives). He seems to absolutely adore his current wife Babette. (I guess I don't fully understand that part--sorry! ;) )

algunz
09-11-2008, 11:49 AM
I think it's because he is so disconnected. I don't know if he ever really invests himself into his relationships.

amyzzz
09-11-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure if it said in this part yet, but at least 2 of his ex-wives were spies or in the spy industry, and Babette has her own secrets, so I wonder if he wants to be with secretive women?

Pixiessp
09-11-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm not so sure Jack is as disconnected as you say. He does notice little things about people that others may not. Actually it seems all the people in this book are very aware of their surroundings. Hyper aware.

I'm still on the Airborne Toxic Event. i didn't want to read ahead.
I'm gonna hit the book hard this weekend and hopefully i will understand all too.

amyzzz
09-11-2008, 12:27 PM
I was deliberately vague about what I understood. I don't know if you all will understand everything, but there are a lot of explanations before it's over.

algunz
09-11-2008, 06:08 PM
The second section read really fast. We should probably just jump ahead.

I'm fascinated by Delillo's motif of fear. The man wandering through the evacuation shelter with the blank TV was so profound to me.

algunz
09-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Besides Amy, who else is done? I don't want to jump ahead until most are ready.

fatbastard
09-15-2008, 07:51 PM
I made it to page 5 at the dealership today. I'm not flaking but you should keep the pack moving.

algunz
09-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Way to go FB, keep up the pace. :)

fatbastard
09-15-2008, 08:16 PM
No excuses. A smaller nightstand may be in order.

Pixiessp
09-15-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm thinking I'll be done by midweek.

algunz
09-16-2008, 02:18 PM
The book seems to be a celebration of the death of optimism. A chance for us, the regulars, to revel in the fact that our world is fucked and the only way out is a brush with death. Even Wilder is no longer their savior. He's felt the breath of death. There is no savior.

ausgezeichnet

fatbastard
09-30-2008, 12:14 PM
I went to the library in J Town yesterday to pay a late fee due on this book. It's just been sitting on the nightstand. The wife left for Hawaii today. This will leave me, the laptop and the book for the evening. I'm a procrastinator and work well under pressure.

SoulDischarge
08-22-2009, 03:08 AM
This is the voice of your guilty conscience.

fatbastard
08-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Jebus, it never goes away!