PDA

View Full Version : Ask An Alaskan

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 02:42 PM
While answering a question in another thread, I realized that what this board really needs and doesn't have is a thread where everyone's questions and concerns about Alaska can be addressed.

As it's a board dedicated to a California music festival, it's kind of stunning that an Alaska information thread hadn't already been started, because the two are so closely intertwined. It's not my business to ask why, though- it's my business to give the people what they want.

So fire away. In case you don't know what you don't know about Alaska, I'll start off with some greatest hits.

-Yes, we get money from the government for living here. The Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend was established with profits from the sale of Prudhoe Bay oil leases (which were then invested diversely), and each year the profit from that investment is divided up amongst all Alaskans who have been here for longer than a year. This year, the dividend will be approximately $2000, and will be supplemented by a one-time $1200 bonus due to the high cost of fuel (if you can't afford to heat your home here in the winter, you die).

-Alaska is the northernmost, westernmost, AND easternmost state (the Aleutian Islands extend past 180 degrees West, thus placing them in the Eastern hemisphere). Hawaii is the southernmost state, in case you were wondering.

-Alaska is about 1/5 the size of the rest of the United States. Texas is less than half the size of Alaska.

-Contrary to popular belief, Alaska is not the least populous state- we're actually 47th, ahead of Vermont, North Dakota, and Wyoming.

gaypalmsprings
08-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Why does your Governor wear her hair like that? And who is her fashion coodinator?

Wheres the beef?
08-29-2008, 02:43 PM
What kind of drugs can you get? What kind of prices? Is it consistent and reliable?

faxman75
08-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Whoa, explain that easternmost thing to me. The Aleutian islands?

amyzzz
08-29-2008, 02:44 PM
How do you deal with the winters there? Can you go outside? Do you have any "in-door" towns?

boarderwoozel3
08-29-2008, 02:45 PM
I had a friend who moved to AK for a few months this summer and came back just as broke after having developed a mean affinity for the fire water. Is drinking as big up there as he made it out to be?

(I think he was in a town of about 10K)

boarderwoozel3
08-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Sex with animals, how common is it?

Wheres the beef?
08-29-2008, 02:46 PM

Probably because it extends over the international date line where its "technically" tomorrow.

Wheres the beef?
08-29-2008, 02:47 PM
How has global warming affected you and your family? Are you finding it harder to hunt for food and store enough fat for the winter?

faxman75
08-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Probably because it extends over the international date line where its "technically" tomorrow.

Brilliant! Here I thought the world was flat.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Why does your Governor wear her hair like that? And who is her fashion coodinator?

She tends to wear it up in that bun because it looks both good and professional. I think she probably has the best hair of any female political figure today. Fortunately, this election isn't about hair.

As far as I know, she does her clothes herself, but I can't be sure. She'll probably have help now that she's more of a big deal than twelve hours ago.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 02:55 PM
What kind of drugs can you get? What kind of prices? Is it consistent and reliable?

Drugs: weed is rampant and quasi-legal thanks to a variety of judicial decisions. Up to 4 oz. in your home is legal, but it's illegal anywhere outside your home. The reason it's legal in your home is due to strong privacy protection measures in Alaska's constitution.

Other drugs: meth use is high in poorer areas. Cocaine is fairly readily available. Mushrooms are pretty easy to find if you know the right people. Drugs which are more chemically difficult to produce (ecstasy, MDMA, rohypnol, et cetera) are less common but they're here.

Prices are higher here than down there (except sometimes for weed, depending on your dealer and/or if you grow yourself), but the amount varies based on how hard the drug is to find.

Supply is consistent for more mainstream stuff (weed, meth, mushrooms, cocaine), less so for the less popular stuff.

I don't do drugs, so I'm not the resource I might otherwise be on this point.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 02:58 PM

The Aleutian Islands are a long line of islands formed by volcanic activity. They extend quite a ways past the International Dateline (actually, time-wise, it makes a dog-leg to include them in the Alaska time zone), and are thus in the East for global purposes. Japan actually captured two of these islands (Attu and Kiska) in World War II.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 03:00 PM
How do you deal with the winters there? Can you go outside? Do you have any "in-door" towns?

I deal by posting way more frequently on this message board, among other things. Everyone finds ways to cope, but Seasonal Affective Disorder is common (basically, this means people get depressed because it's dark). Basically, you tend to stay inside a lot more, and people travel if they have the money.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 03:03 PM
I had a friend who moved to AK for a few months this summer and came back just as broke after having developed a mean affinity for the fire water. Is drinking as big up there as he made it out to be?

(I think he was in a town of about 10K)

Alcoholism is a problem, especially in Native communities where people have a lot of culture shock and don't have much of a sense of purpose anymore. In more developed places, this leads to problems with drinking and driving. We're trying hard to cut down on it, but it will probably always be an issue due the fact that there's not a lot to do in the winters.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Sex with animals, how common is it?

Probably less common than elsewhere, actually, for two reasons:

1. People don't want to go outside to get with their four-legged friends in the winter.

2. Most of the animals big enough to have sex with up here are strong enough to kill you, and the others move too fast to be caught.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 03:09 PM
How has global warming affected you and your family? Are you finding it harder to hunt for food and store enough fat for the winter?

I can't say what's due to global warming and what's not, but we've definitely had more extreme weather up here recently (fires, floods) than in the past. If it does indeed warm up here, there are a TON of terrible things that will happen. I can go into more detail if you want.

Hunting and fishing wise, the salmon run this year has been weak but I don't think that's related to global warming- more likely poor fisheries management and regular boom/bust cycles.

I think the moose population is doing okay. Duck season opens September 1st, and I will be in a duck blind blasting away, as I have for 20 years. I'll let you know how that goes.

amyzzz
08-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Do you at least get some nice aurora borealis in the winter?

Young blood
08-29-2008, 03:16 PM
have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Do you at least get some nice aurora borealis in the winter?

Yes. It's breathtakingly beautiful sometimes. People pull over to the side of the road and shut off their headlights (not their cars, though- they still need the heater) to watch.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 03:18 PM

I have seen a grown man naked (one other than myself, that is) as recently as last weekend.

That wedding was pretty awesome.

Young blood
08-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Do you have illegal bear fights up there? Do you know anyone with any really bitchen pets snow leopard, polar bear, ect?

amyzzz
08-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Have you ever been offered an Eskimo/Inuit man's wife as a hospitality gesture?

menikmati
08-29-2008, 03:22 PM
have you ever gone crabbin'?

Young blood
Whats your cut from the oil revenue/pipeline?

Whats up with wasilla getting so big? That town has expolded with new development.

JustSteve
Everyone finds ways to cope, but Seasonal Affective Disorder is common (basically, this means people get depressed because it's dark).

do you think they came up with the disorder first or the acronym and made the disorder name fit. haha, S.A.D.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Do you have illegal bear fights up there? Do you know anyone with any really bitchen pets snow leopard, polar bear, ect?

No illegal bear fights. It's really hard to catch one bear, let alone two.

There aren't any snow leopards here, and it's illegal to own wild animals as pets, so that's kind of out. That said, there are a lot of people who have dogs that are only one or two generations removed from wolves, which can be pretty crazy.

JustSteve
08-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Whats your cut from the oil revenue/pipeline?.

here...

This year, the dividend will be approximately $2000, and will be supplemented by a one-time $1200 bonus due to the high cost of fuel (if you can't afford to heat your home here in the winter, you die).

Young blood
08-29-2008, 03:26 PM
My bad.

marooko
08-29-2008, 03:49 PM
The Aleutian Islands are a long line of islands formed by volcanic activity. They extend quite a ways past the International Dateline (actually, time-wise, it makes a dog-leg to include them in the Alaska time zone), and are thus in the East for global purposes. Japan actually captured two of these islands (Attu and Kiska) in World War II.

captured? was there anyone or anything there to capture?

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Whats your cut from the oil revenue/pipeline?

Whats up with wasilla getting so big? That town has expolded with new development.

I actually touched on this in the first post, but this year the Permanent Fund Dividend is going to be about $2000, plus a one-time $1200 check to help with fuel costs.

Re:development- Both Wasilla and Fairbanks have experienced a lot of growth; this is mostly due to military bases nearby which are expanding in size/purpose.

marooko
08-29-2008, 03:53 PM
I have seen a grown man naked (one other than myself, that is) as recently as last weekend.

That wedding was pretty awesome.

pics?

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 03:54 PM
pics?

Sorry, I was really drunk and didn't want to make the moment any gayer than it already was... guy was streaking on a dare.

marooko
08-29-2008, 03:55 PM
can you say "ask an alaskan" 5 times fast?

Sorry, I was really drunk and didn't want to make the moment any gayer than it already was... guy was streaking on a dare.

good point.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 03:55 PM
can you say "ask an alaskan" 5 times fast?

Yes, but I may be an anomaly in that regard.

marooko
08-29-2008, 03:57 PM
ah yes, i forgot, you're native. edit: native of alaska, not native from alaska.

algunz
08-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Is the male/female ratio noticeable?

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 03:58 PM
ah yes, i forgot, you're native.

Careful there. I'm a native of Alaska but not an Alaska Native. Big difference, and one that means there are bars in town I'm safer not entering.

marooko
08-29-2008, 04:01 PM
captured? was there anyone or anything there to capture?

so, about those islands captured in WWII...

PotVsKtl
08-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Internet.

marooko
08-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Yes, this is.

TickleMeElmo
08-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Sorry Cpt. Funkaho. I'm temporarily hijacking your thread.

A lil bit, at least for the Anchorage area. You can definitely notice there are a few more males than females here but nothing too overbearing. I dunno about the other parts of Alaska, it may be more noticeable.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 04:10 PM

Not really (in fact, there isn't that much difference- it's almost 50/50), but the deficit of attractive females is. You don't know how good you have it, people of southern California.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Sorry Cpt. Funkaho. I'm temporarily hijacking your thread.

It's cool, you're qualified. I appoint you as my deputy in case I'm indisposed. My VP candidate, as it were. Heh.

Young blood
08-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Alaskan bush company? Yay or Nay?

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 04:14 PM
so, about those islands captured in WWII...

There wasn't really anything of more than symbolic importance. In fact, the Japanese believed they were more strategically important than they were. The only real strategic damage done by the capture (other than diverting focus from more important places) was that the Japanese also bombed the air station at Dutch Harbor (closer to the mainland), which was basically our most important early-warning site in case of Japanese attack on mainland Alaska.

EDIT: Relations over the attack are pretty much completely smoothed over now, to the point that we let the Japanese government erect a memorial to the soldiers on both sides whose lives were lost.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/60/Attu_peace_monument.jpg/390px-Attu_peace_monument.jpg

Young blood
08-29-2008, 04:20 PM
bear/wolf stories please.

I have a buddy that lives at the intersection of the rivers of the wasillia and susitna rivers ( I think its the wasilla river )and has bleachers set up to watch the iditarod go by when the river freezes over, have you ever watched it? What is your favorite fishing spot?

boarderwoozel3
08-29-2008, 04:21 PM
So the Alaska Gay scene…? And if so, how prevalent is it?

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 04:30 PM
bear/wolf stories please.

I have a buddy that lives at the intersection of the rivers of the wasillia and susitna rivers ( I think its the wasilla river )and has bleachers set up to watch the iditarod go by when the river freezes over, have you ever watched it? What is your favorite fishing spot?

I live in Fairbanks, so the Iditarod doesn't come here much, though it did actually have to start here one year (2002, if I remember correctly) due to a lack of snow further south.

That said, I've seen the start of the Iditarod about six or seven times, because I'm frequently in Anchorage by coincidence on the weekend that it starts. It's kind of fun, even though the Anchorage start is just ceremonial and the real race starts in Willow the next day.

Fishing spot: My favorite is Prince William Sound (where the Exxon Valdez spilled its oil); the salmon, halibut, rockfish, and shrimp fishing there is so much fun. I have a friend with a boat who takes me out for a week every summer. Inland, fly fishing on the Chatanika River for grayling and pike is fun, as is dipnetting in the Copper River at Chitina.

Bear/wolf stories: my dad shot a bear in a friend's yard once, at a range of about 20 feet- he only had one bullet, so he made it count.

Last year a pack of wolves came through my neighborhood and killed about a half dozen dogs. Then people started shooting them on sight and not telling anyone, and that was that.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 04:33 PM
So the Alaska Gay scene…? And if so, how prevalent is it?

It exists, but it's not huge. Alaska is actually an interesting mix of some people who believe that homosexuality is a sin and others who believe very strongly that what people do on their property is their business and no one else's. These people often exist in the same family. Interesting dinner-table conversations.

I have a few gay friends, one of whom is a total flamer, and he doesn't get much (any, really) flak about it.

There's also a pretty active community of older lesbians, for some reason.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 04:35 PM

I was there last weekend (in Anchorage for that wedding). It was all right, but no great shakes. I will say that there was a girl there who did a dance to Cake's "Love You Madly", which worked way better than I expected.

For those that haven't picked it up from context, The Alaskan Bush Company is an Anchorage strip club.

Young blood
08-29-2008, 04:37 PM
I live in Fairbanks, so the Iditarod doesn't come here much, though it did actually have to start here one year (2002, if I remember correctly) due to a lack of snow further south.

That said, I've seen the start of the Iditarod about six or seven times, because I'm frequently in Anchorage by coincidence on the weekend that it starts. It's kind of fun, even though the Anchorage start is just ceremonial and the real race starts in Willow the next day.

Fishing spot: My favorite is Prince William Sound (where the Exxon Valdez spilled its oil); the salmon, halibut, rockfish, and shrimp fishing there is so much fun. I have a friend with a boat who takes me out for a week every summer. Inland, fly fishing on the Chatanika River for grayling and pike is fun, as is dipnetting in the Copper River at Chitina.

Bear/wolf stories: my dad shot a bear in a friend's yard once, at a range of about 20 feet- he only had one bullet, so he made it count.

Last year a pack of wolves came through my neighborhood and killed about a half dozen dogs. Then people started shooting them on sight and not telling anyone, and that was that.

Jack London stuff.

I know we dont know each other but Im going to crash your yearly fishing trip. Salmon fishing in Alaska was one the best expierences of my life.

I hear the halibut in alaska are the size of coffee tables is this true?

When we go halbut fishing in Oregon they are small, buts its cool because one doesn't need that much fish.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 04:41 PM
I hear the halibut in alaska are the size of coffee tables is this true?

The big ones are way bigger than that... they're at least twice as big as YOU. The record is 459 pounds, and usually there will be at least a couple a year caught over 300 lbs.

http://www.alaska.org.tw/images/Unalaska_World_Record_Halibut.jpg

marooko
08-29-2008, 04:43 PM
and they say everything is bigger in texas. whatev.

jigsaw
08-29-2008, 04:44 PM
My buddy just caught a 256 pounder and I have some of it in my freezer. Fuck I might just have to defrost it now.

algunz
08-29-2008, 04:45 PM
OMG, that's a halibut?

jigsaw
08-29-2008, 04:45 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/60/Attu_peace_monument.jpg/390px-Attu_peace_monument.jpg

sick picture

Pixiessp
08-29-2008, 04:47 PM
I know of 2 relatively famous athletes that came out of Alaska.

Trajan Langdon and Carlos Boozer.

Any more of significance?

Pixiessp
08-29-2008, 04:48 PM
omg is right. that halibut is obscene!!

jigsaw
08-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Can you make a beer stand like this?
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p39/p_rock79/20080822SanFrancisco081.jpg

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 04:53 PM
I knew of 2 relatively famous athletes that came out of Alaska.

Trajan Langdon and Carlos Boozer.

Any more of significance?

Athletes: You got the big ones. We've had a couple people go on to pro sports, but no one huge. Scott Gomez plays in the NHL, he's pretty good. We've had a few Olympians... there were three Alaskan medalists in the Beijing games. In the summer Olympics, our good sports tend to be the shooting events; in the winter, we're good at skiing and snowboarding, as well as curling.

boarderwoozel3
08-29-2008, 04:53 PM
I can!

(About the beer standing that is)

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Can you make a beer stand like this?[/IMG]

Yes, yes I can.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-29-2008, 04:59 PM
what do you do in Alaska for work? (you personally)
What are the high paying jobs outside of the obvious (oil, fish and natural resources)?

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 05:09 PM
what do you do in Alaska for work? (you personally)
What are the high paying jobs outside of the obvious (oil, fish and natural resources)?

This is a good question. Kudos.

I work summers at a local tourist attraction (http://www.riverboatdiscovery.com/), doing computer work (though not that website, thank God) and being a first mate on the boat. It's actually a really fun job, and I have a lot of friends there.

Winters, I go to school and work part-time, sometimes at a local ice arena.

As far as high-paying jobs, they tend to be resource-related (oil and fish are resource jobs too, btw- I thought it was funny that you listed them separately), but there are also some in tourism, education, architecture, and trades (welding/pipefitting/electrical/contracting). Also government.

marooko
08-29-2008, 05:12 PM
are you really a walrus?

algunz
08-29-2008, 05:12 PM
What do you see on that river boat trip? It looks cool.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-29-2008, 05:15 PM
This is a good question. Kudos.

I work summers at a local tourist attraction (http://www.riverboatdiscovery.com/), doing computer work (though not that website, thank God) and being a first mate on the boat. It's actually a really fun job, and I have a lot of friends there.

Winters, I go to school and work part-time, sometimes at a local ice arena.

As far as high-paying jobs, they tend to be resource-related (oil and fish are resource jobs too, btw- I thought it was funny that you listed them separately), but there are also some in tourism, education, architecture, and trades (welding/pipefitting/electrical/contracting). Also government.

well considering your answering all the questions. I thought I would ask things I really wanted to know. (also, I am aware that both fish and oil are resource as well, but I didn't want to run off timber and mining and etc.)

ok. What do you think of Sarah Palin?

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 05:17 PM
are you really a walrus?

Yes. It's difficult for me to operate a computer keyboard with these flippers, but I muddle through.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 05:24 PM
What do you see on that river boat trip? It looks cool.

What you see:

1. A bush pilot takes off and lands next to the boat in a float plane (Piper Supercub).
2. We stop at the home and kennels of Susan Butcher (famous Iditarod dog musher) for a dog mushing demonstration. Susan is now dead (leukemia, 2006), so her husband manages the kennel with help from other local mushers.
3. Reindeer. We have a small private herd.
4. One of a couple of very skilled Alaska Native women give a salmon-fileting demonstration. It's very fast.
5. We stop at a reconstruction of an Alaskan village, and Alaska Native guides give a short tour on various aspects of the historical Alaskan experience, from subsistence living to gold mining and trapping and Native beadwork/skin sewing.

It's all right, and not totally Disney-fied. There's a lot of good information, and the people are cool, if I may be so bold.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 05:30 PM
What do you think of Sarah Palin?

I didn't vote for her for governor; I was worried about her inexperience. She was underqualified to be governor, and she's shockingly underqualified to be VP, to say nothing of being President. She has a great personality, which is essentially how she got elected, but she also looks like she has a problem with personal vendettas against people she doesn't like or who don't like her. This will all come out in the next few weeks, I'm sure.

shakermaker113
08-29-2008, 05:34 PM
just last week someone was telling me that marijuana is legal in alaska. what is its legal status there?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-29-2008, 05:35 PM
how good of a school is the university in Fairbanks?

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 05:35 PM
just last week someone was telling me that marijuana is legal in alaska. what is its legal status there?

I touched on this earlier. Up to four ounces, ONLY in your own home. Outside of your home, they can and do bust you for any amount.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 05:39 PM
how good of a school is the university in Fairbanks?

It's very good for physical sciences (Geology/glaciology/chemistry/et cetera) and for resource-related studies (mineral engineering, other engineering, fish and wildlife management). For other things (humanities, business) it's kind of spotty; there are good and bad professors. If you have specific interests, ask; I go to school there, so I know quite a bit.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-29-2008, 05:41 PM
It's very good for physical sciences (Geology/glaciology/chemistry/et cetera) and for resource-related studies (mineral engineering, other engineering, fish and wildlife management). For other things (humanities, business) it's kind of spotty; there are good and bad professors. If you have specific interests, ask; I go to school there, so I know quite a bit.

Languages.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Languages.

Not great, unless you're considering Russian or Alaskan Native languages (we're pretty much the only school that teaches Native languages; they're dying).

I will say that the one language professor (Matusevich, for French) I had was great, but I understand that the department as a whole isn't as good. Also, Matusevich could also have been awful-she was for some people. Kind of a sharp personality, and she pushes you really hard. I like that.

Edit: your Athabascan word of the day: Ana'baasee' (AHN-uh-BAH-see) - means "thank you".

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-29-2008, 05:51 PM
I actually thought of studying the alaskan native languages become the state offers jobs for teachers of those languages. But, i can't take the isolation.

algunz
08-29-2008, 06:26 PM
I've always said that the only way that I would take a cruise would be to take the Alaskan cruise. Is it worth it? Or would you say renting a car and driving would be better? Are there day trips to see the glaciers?

Sorry, Alaska is on my list of places I'd like to see.

algunz
08-29-2008, 06:26 PM
High on my list . . .

Ardentbiscuit
08-29-2008, 06:31 PM
How do most Alaskans feel about the oil drilling?

What type of animals do you see on a daily basis?

Also, did Jewel really grow up in Alaska or is that an Alaskan rural legend?

C DUB YA
08-29-2008, 06:57 PM
So when John Corbett went off the air, were people depressed?

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 07:07 PM
I've always said that the only way that I would take a cruise would be to take the Alaskan cruise. Is it worth it? Or would you say renting a car and driving would be better? Are there day trips to see the glaciers?

Sorry, Alaska is on my list of places I'd like to see.

I've never taken a package cruise myself, since I live here, but a lot of people do. They skew towards a much older demographic than you, though, so what I would suggest for you would be to take the Alaska Marine Highway (kind of an extended ferry system) up through the Inside Passage to Southcentral AK (maybe Homer, say), stopping along the way if you wanted (yes, there are day trips to glaciers, and for whale/sea life watching, et cetera), then drive up the Parks Highway to Denali National Park and Fairbanks, do the Riverboat thing if you wanted- I could probably get you free tickets- then drive the Alaska Highway down into Canada and home. That's how I would do it, even though the ferry is nearly as expensive as a cruise- it's just kind of a better demographic than cruise ships. If you do want a cruise, though, I suggest Cruise West as opposed to Princess/Holland America/Royal Celebrity. They're a smaller company and it's a more personal cruise than the huge ships.

algunz
08-29-2008, 07:09 PM
I hate cruises. So I'm all about an alternative. Thank you.

gaypalmsprings
08-29-2008, 07:19 PM
What's the best gay bar in Alaska?

http://www.alaska.net/~madmyrna/MM_multi%20Wording.gif

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 07:26 PM
How do most Alaskans feel about the oil drilling?

What type of animals do you see on a daily basis?

Also, did Jewel really grow up in Alaska or is that an Alaskan rural legend?

Oil drilling: most of us are in favor of it. I don't really have strong opinions- on the one hand, I feel strongly that we should be working to get out of oil altogether as an energy source, and I don't like developing in unspoiled wilderness, even if it's as relatively empty as ANWR is. On the other hand, oil provides a lot of jobs and about 90% of the state's money, so I can't exactly say I don't benefit both directly and indirectly from it. Also I feel that we're eventually going to drill if the oil is there, because of the money and the need, so it doesn't particularly matter what I think.

Animals: I see rabbits, squirrels, voles, various kinds of birds/ducks/geese/cranes every day. I see moose probably once or twice a week, often in my yard and often multiple moose at the same time (families). Beaver about three or four times a week in the summer (I work on the river). Eagles about once a week, also in the summer. Foxes a couple times a week in the summer. Grouse and ptarmigan (our state bird) every now and again. Bears once or twice a year, wolves once in a blue moon. Caribou whenever I go up to the North Slope, whales, dolphins, otters, and sea lions whenever I go to the coast.

Yes, Jewel Kilcher lived in Homer and worked at a coffee shop there while living out of her van and working on her first album. As soon as she got signed she moved to L.A. and basically renounced her Alaskan roots except when she could play them up for dramatic effect. She wouldn't even come back and play a show in her home town. Anybody in Alaska who knows the story hates her.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 07:33 PM
So when John Corbett went off the air, were people depressed?

Who the hell is John Corbett?

**Googling**

Oh, Northern Exposure. You know that show was filmed in Washington, right? People here tended to not like it so much due to its overuse of stereotypes. They have a love/hate relationship with Red Green for the same reason.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 07:39 PM

No idea. The only gay bar I even knew about in Fairbanks was The Castle, but it just had a gay night, it wasn't full time. It also closed five-plus years ago.

I think there are one or two other bars in town with gay nights, but I couldn't say where or when. I'm guessing it wouldn't be packed, either- gay folk around here tend to do more house parties than bars.

I've never heard of Mad Myrna's.

fatbastard
08-29-2008, 07:39 PM
What do locals glaze/marinate their salmon with?

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 07:43 PM
What do locals glaze/marinate their salmon with?

My recipe: Brushed-on soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, butter, and ginger. Serve with lemon.

whynotsmile99
08-29-2008, 08:59 PM
I have Alaskian moose turds sitting on my desk right now. Souviner (spelled wrong, i know) shops in Juno sell all types of moose related shit. What's your favorite moose shit accessory? Key chain, ring, hat, etc???

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 09:10 PM
I have Alaskian moose turds sitting on my desk right now. Souviner (spelled wrong, i know) shops in Juno sell all types of moose related shit. What's your favorite moose shit accessory? Key chain, ring, hat, etc???

Oh, there are all kinds. Juneau isn't spelled like the movie, by the way.

Favorite key ring: a "pooping moose"-you squeeze it and brown rubbery crap comes out the back end. Let go and it goes back in. Way cuter than it sounds.

Favorite hat: baseball cap with a moose turd glued to the bill. Print on the hat reads "Genuine shithead." I once was at a party where an inspired (and drunken) Harvard a capella group (the Low Keys) spontaneously composed a song about that hat, to the tune of "My Sharona".

Overall favorite moose shit related tourist crap: a wooden moose-shaped jelly bean dispenser. You depress the head and jelly beans fall out the ass. It's brilliant.

whynotsmile99
08-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Favorite key ring: a "pooping moose"-you squeeze it and brown rubbery crap comes out the back end. Let go and it goes back in. Way cuter than it sounds.

Overall favorite moose shit related tourist crap: a wooden moose-shaped jelly bean dispenser. You depress the head and jelly beans fall out the ass. It's brilliant.

yes@! i have the first one. i eventually pulled the poo all the way out and could never get it back in:( Just saw the jelly bean dispenser and it was awesome.

I loved Alaska. Went on a cruise sometime ago. I went river rafting which was incredible. so much fun. Forgot where exactly

C DUB YA
08-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Who the hell is John Corbett?

**Googling**

Oh, Northern Exposure. You know that show was filmed in Washington, right? People here tended to not like it so much due to its overuse of stereotypes. They have a love/hate relationship with Red Green for the same reason.

Yeah - that was a joke.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Yeah - that was a joke.

Oh, sorry. I had my SERIOUS HAT on.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 09:39 PM
yes@! i have the first one. i eventually pulled the poo all the way out and could never get it back in:( Just saw the jelly bean dispenser and it was awesome.

I loved Alaska. Went on a cruise sometime ago. I went river rafting which was incredible. so much fun. Forgot where exactly

Guaranteed you went rafting on the Nenana River. It's a great time.

roberto73
08-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Is there any Alaskan opinion of Chris McCandless (of Into the Wild fame)? Do they admire his gumption, or just think he was a spoiled kid who didn't know what he was getting himself into?

whynotsmile99
08-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Guaranteed you went rafting on the Nenana River. It's a great time.

yea, think that was it. We didn't go too far, there were little homes near by. Huge glacier in the background. Totally gorgeous.

by the way, my moose turd is "Gourmet Poopon Mooseturd"

it's the good stuff

algunz
08-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Is there any Alaskan opinion of Chris McCandless (of Into the Wild fame)? Do they admire his gumption, or just think he was a spoiled kid who didn't know what he was getting himself into?

I think most, Alaskan or not, have grown to appreciate his stupidity.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 09:57 PM

I actually got into it with Delta over this, as he decided that "Neighborhood #2 (Laika)" by AF was about Chris (actual name: Alex), and Delta decided that Chris was therefore his idol.

Alaskans generally think he was a jackass who was arrogant about his ability to cope with the wilderness (which is generally true). My overall view of him is slightly more moderate- I can identify/understand wanting to prove yourself and live on your own terms, I just think he didn't understand what he was getting into.

Really, the crux of what I think is that his story isn't any more important than the many others every year who die up here in somewhat similar fashion, whether climbing mountains or traveling up and down rivers, or just living out in the bush: a lot of people challenge the wilderness. Some people get lucky and live when they shouldn't, some people get unlucky and die when they should have lived. I have friends who have done both. It's just kind of a fact of life up here.

roberto73
08-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Do you do any climbing yourself, or know of any climbers? I've got a friend who makes an annual trip up there, and even though I've been a rock climber for over a dozen years, I'm a little nervous about making the leap to ice and/or mountain climbing.

TickleMeElmo
08-29-2008, 10:05 PM

http://www.alaska.net/~madmyrna/MM_multi%20Wording.gif

Never been to Myrna's but I've been to a place called Kodiak and it wasn't bad, good drinks there. So I'd say that one, the only one I've been in, Alaska-wise.

Yeah, Funkaho is kicking my ass on Alaskan knowledge, I really don't know much about this place and I've lived here all my life. Sad, eh?

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Do you do any climbing yourself, or know of any climbers? I've got a friend who makes an annual trip up there, and even though I've been a rock climber for over a dozen years, I'm a little nervous about making the leap to ice and/or mountain climbing.

I don't do any mountain climbing myself, but I know an assload of climbers of various levels of ability, both ice and mountain. If you're a climber, I'm sure you're aware that the area around Valdez is some of the best ice climbing in the world.

A few friends of mine did Logan last year, but they didn't summit. The lead climber(good friend of mine)'s girlfriend died on Logan in 2005. He brought some of her things and left them on the mountain.

Edit: oh yeah, and a few other friends did Denali (Mt. McKinley if you wish) last year. One of them summited, but another got pulmonary edema and had to bail.

gmoneyak
08-29-2008, 10:27 PM

I'm interjecting an opinion on this one Funkaho.

Fully nude, no cover(most times), and alcohol. I'd say yes, and they usually had a decent rotation of girls that they bring up from the lower 48 on a regular basis.

Carry on..

algunz
08-29-2008, 10:44 PM
. . . and one ugly one.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm interjecting an opinion on this one Funkaho.

Fully nude, no cover(most times), and alcohol. I'd say yes, and they usually had a decent rotation of girls that they bring up from the lower 48 on a regular basis.

Carry on..

Yeah, no cover was definitely a plus. I had a pretty good time, actually, and the girls were good-looking, I just wasn't really bowled over. We did get five simultaneous lap dances for a girl who was with us, though- it was her birthday. She totally dug it.

algunz
08-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Are there good biking trails?

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Are there good biking trails?

Depends on if you're talking commuting or mountain biking.

For commuting, the effort at accommodating cyclists is pretty half-hearted, and the cities (such as they are) tend to be pretty spread out due to the fact that there's so much land. Not what it could be, for sure.

For mountain biking, there's lots, and a pretty active mountain biking community to boot.

algunz
08-29-2008, 11:15 PM
I would figure that Alaska wouldn't be the best place for commuting on bikes.

Are the mountain trails all just climbing and descending? Or are there singletracks that just wind through wilderness?

I like the latter.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 11:16 PM
I would figure that Alaska wouldn't be the best place for commuting on bikes.

Are the mountain trails all just climbing and descending? Or are there singletracks that just wind through wilderness?

I like the latter.

There are both. It's pretty much all wilderness up here, too.

algunz
08-29-2008, 11:18 PM
I know, that's why we want to come visit.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-29-2008, 11:37 PM
I know, that's why we want to come visit.

Let me know if you ever do end up coming.

This goes for everybody. If you come up, I'd love to see you.

fumfum
08-30-2008, 12:14 AM
I went to high school in Alaska, the town called, Seward.
That was fun. My favourite was dog mushing.

marooko
08-30-2008, 12:23 AM
Let me know if you ever do end up coming.

This goes for everybody. If you come up, I'd love to see you.

do you have a home that humans would be familiar with, or a home walrii/walrus's would be familiar with? this would be important to know so one can pack accordingly.

TomAz
08-30-2008, 05:56 AM
hey Capt F. we went to Alaska this year for family vacation. on the first day we took a float plane out of Anchorage down to Katmai to see the bears. on the way back we flew over the backcountry and there'd be the occasional town on Lake Iliama or Lake Clark. these lakes from what I can tell, though quite large, do not have any navigable outlet to the sea. Also there are no roads to these towns. So the only way in/out is by plane. I think. Anyway though in each of these towns there was a small road network and cars and trucks. My question is.. how the fuck do the cars and trucks get there?

example: Newhalen, Alaska (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=alaska&ie=UTF8&ll=59.737541,-154.867058&spn=0.076994,0.350189&t=h&z=12)

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-30-2008, 07:21 AM
more questions:
What is the local music scene like up there?
Are CD's the same price as the lower 48?
Do you ever get "good" concerts up there?
If Radiohead/Daft Punk/Bjork were to play up there (which would be never..maybe Sigur Ros???? how amazing would that be? ) what venue do you think they would play? Any outdoor venues?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-30-2008, 08:18 AM
BTW: I pulled this article from the Economist. It is 2 years old but it mentions Sarah Palin. Good article as always from a great "newspaper"

http://www.economist.com/world/unitedstates/PrinterFriendly.cfm?story_id=7830279

Economist.com

Lexington

America's welfare state
Aug 24th 2006
From The Economist print edition

How Alaska's rugged pioneers wallow in unearned cash

NEVER let anyone tell you there is nothing to do in Alaska during those long, dark winters. When the snow is deep, you can jump off the roof of your house into a drift. “It's like landing in a cloud,” says David Pine, a local student. You can go cross-country skiing on a floodlit trail around Anchorage—which becomes a cycle path in the summer. Alaskan licence-plates may growl that this is the “The Last Frontier”, but urban areas—where four-fifths of Alaskans live—are amply stocked with espresso bars, broadband connections and all the comforts of modernity. Alaskans are, on average, slightly richer than Americans who live in the “lower 48” states. Yet they are wrapped in a thick mink coat of subsidies.

Federal spending supports a third of all Alaskan jobs, according to the Institute for Social and Economic Research at the University of Alaska in Anchorage. Alaska's representatives in Washington, DC have a hard-earned reputation for piping federal dollars back home. A proposed $229m “Bridge to Nowhere”, connecting the town of Ketchikan to an airport on an island with a population of 50, is the most notorious boondoggle. But the state is paved with pork—from its half-empty high-speed ferries to the $500,000 that the federally-funded Alaska Fisheries Marketing Board gave to Alaska Airlines to paint a giant king salmon on one of its aeroplanes. Citizens Against Government Waste, a watchdog, calculates that Alaska guzzles more pork per head than any other state.

Why is Washington so generous to Alaskans? It is not as if they have no other source of cash. Alaska's oil wells allow the state to function without levying an income tax. And the interest from a $34 billion “Permanent Fund”, in which past oil receipts are stashed, gives every Alaskan man, woman and child an annual handout, expected to be about $1,000 this year.

There are some good reasons for the federal government to spend money in Alaska anyway: it supports 21,000 troops there, it has obligations to indigenous Alaskans and it owns (and must look after) some 60% of Alaska's land. Add to this America's romantic view of pioneers, and perhaps a lingering fear that its vast territory, if no one is encouraged to occupy it, may one day be grabbed by a foreign power. That was a reasonable fear back in 1880, when, 13 years after America bought Alaska from Russia, a census found only 435 frostbitten non-native residents. During the cold war, too, it made sense to play safe. But now the population is a healthy 665,000 and there is no plausible invader. Surely, with oil prices so high, the taxpayers of the lower 48 should be given a break?

For some reason, this idea gets little attention in Alaska. Politics revolves around two issues: how to suck more cash out of Washington and more fossil fuels out of the ground. Alaska's three members of Congress are adept at the former. The latter task is trickier—it involves complex negotiations with energy firms, and an uphill struggle to persuade the rest of America that a bit of drilling will not do too much damage to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. The big debate in the current race for the governorship concerns how and where to build a gas pipeline.

The Republican incumbent, Frank Murkowski, favours a pipe running south from Prudhoe Bay (where the gas is pumped) to the Midwest, via Canada. He has come close to cementing a deal with oil firms. But he was rudely dumped by his own party in a primary on August 22nd. His ditching was unrelated to the pipeline or any other big issue; his problem was simply that Alaskans do not like him. His campaign song acknowledged as much: “And I'm proud to be supporting Frank Murkowski/ He's a man that's not afraid to take some licks/ He might not win awards for his charisma/ But Alaska's gonna need Frank in '06.”

Apparently Alaskans disagree. Mr Murkowski came third in the primary, with less than a fifth of the vote. Yet as a senator for 22 years, he never had trouble getting re-elected. What has changed? When Mr Murkowski was far off in Washington, DC, his critics snipe, Alaskans never got to know him. More important, as a senator, he brought home goodies. As governor, his decisions have involved pain as well as gain for Alaskans.

Inheriting a deficit when he took office in 2002, he raised taxes on cigarettes and abolished the “longevity bonus”, a handout to persuade old people to stay in Alaska. This was probably necessary, but it was tactless of him to order a state jet, which he seems to use a lot, while calling for austerity. These and other displays of high-handedness, such as appointing his daughter Lisa to fill his vacant Senate seat, doomed Mr Murkowski.

The two hopefuls

The victor in the Republican primary, with 51%, was Sarah Palin, an articulate former small-town mayor. She is both fiscally and socially conservative, abhorring abortion (though, as governor, she would have no power to ban it) and favouring the death penalty for child-killers (though Alaska does not allow it). She has threatened to toss a figurative bomb into the pipeline negotiations, by demanding that other routes be considered and by suggesting that the gas should be liquefied in Alaska and shipped out by tanker. Her critics think this impractical.

Her Democratic opponent in November will be Tony Knowles, who was governor between 1994 and 2002. His party label ought to hinder him in such a conservative state as Alaska, but he is seen as a pragmatist. Mr Knowles says he would renegotiate Mr Murkowski's pipeline contract so skilfully as to net an extra $2 billion a year for Alaskans, though he gives few details.

Both candidates agree that Alaska needs to diversify, so that its economy depends less on a commodity whose price goes up and down like a drunken mountaineer. But neither really knows how this might be done. And neither likes to consider that Alaska's federal subsidy might also take a tumble some day.

Copyright © 2008 The Economist Newspaper and The Economist Group. All rights reserved.

TomAz
08-30-2008, 09:20 AM
If Radiohead/Daft Punk/Bjork were to play up there (which would be never..maybe Sigur Ros???? how amazing would that be? ) what venue do you think they would play? Any outdoor venues?

fyi when i was in anchorage last month wilco had just been there.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-30-2008, 10:35 AM
hey Capt F. we went to Alaska this year for family vacation. on the first day we took a float plane out of Anchorage down to Katmai to see the bears. on the way back we flew over the backcountry and there'd be the occasional town on Lake Iliama or Lake Clark. these lakes from what I can tell, though quite large, do not have any navigable outlet to the sea. Also there are no roads to these towns. So the only way in/out is by plane. I think. Anyway though in each of these towns there was a small road network and cars and trucks. My question is.. how the fuck do the cars and trucks get there?

In the case of Newhalen, I'm guessing cargo plane, though I've never been there; it looks like the runway at their airport is long/strong enough to allow for it.

Other places, especially further north, build ice roads across the tundra in the winter which melt in the spring.

Young blood
08-30-2008, 10:40 AM
My buddy told me that snowcats in the winter time are a great way to take stuff down the frozen rivers too.

We saw someone utilizing helicopters to bring in builder material for a fishing lodge....$$$$. big money.

Have you ever done any skiing in Alaska?

Im trying to set up a heli trip, but 7fucking grand is no wear near my budget.

gmoneyak
08-30-2008, 10:44 AM
more questions:

I lived in Anchorage for 10 years.

The local music scene usually consists of jam bands with some ocassional metal groups.

CD's, like most goods, are typically a dollar or two more.

I only saw a handful of shows, Primus in '93 being the best of those, I really only remember a couple others that I missed. I know Metallica was up there when I was high school, my memory is a little shady.

Typically the main venue for large shows was Sullivan Arena, your typical multi-purpose facility. Smaller shows played at the Egen Center, a downtown convention center. Since I've left, bars/clubs around town have stepped up in booking live acts from out of state a bit more.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-30-2008, 10:52 AM
more questions:

The local music scene: generally poor. The only genres which are represented in any numbers are folk/bluegrass, which is all right, and variants on death metal, which are generally awful. My theory is that the reason local bands do death metal so much is that they think (mistakenly) that it exempts them from having to sing or play on key.

CDs cost the same as the lower 48, generally, which means they cost too much. Also, there's not terrific selection, especially of indie artists (very little, unless they get signed to a major label). I buy all of my music through iTunes and emusic- it's been years now.

Yes, we get good concerts, but they tend to be (relative to where you live) few and far between. The three big concerts I've been to this year were the Presidents of the U.S.A., Michael Franti & Spearhead (in Anchorage), and Wilco. I missed a Mountain Goats show because it was in Anchorage (360 miles away) and I didn't have the money or the time. I missed Elton John because tickets started at $125, and Elton John just isn't worth half of Coachella to me. That was all that's been here this year; the Roots are apparently coming to Anchorage in November, but tickets haven't gone on sale yet.

When big artists/groups come, they tend to play either at the Bear's Tooth Theater or the Sullivan or Egan Centers in Anchorage; if they come to Fairbanks they play at the Blue Loon or the Carlson Center. It's pretty much inconceivable that Bjork, Sigur Ros, or Daft Punk would ever come here. Bands pretty much don't come unless, as was patently the case with Wilco, they want to see Alaska and they don't care about making money. The down side of that is that we don't get many shows; the upside (which is major) is that bands that come tend to play really good shows because they don't really give a fuck how many (or few) people are in the audience, and it's pretty much impossible to be disappointed if you come up here to see the sights.

The Bear Tooth in Anchorage and the Blue Loon in Fairbanks both have the capacity to do outdoor shows, and do so in the summer.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Sigur Ros played Hawaii....why not Alaska?

bmack86
08-30-2008, 12:33 PM
They've already seen the cold white north?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-30-2008, 03:26 PM
how expensive is housing in Alaska?

Cpt. Funkaho
08-30-2008, 07:18 PM
how expensive is housing in Alaska?

About $150 per square foot if you're building a house yourself.

A standard nice 2-3 bedroom, 2 bath home with a 2-car garage on a half acre or so probably goes for around $300,000, depending on location.

Houses tend not to cost more than about $600,000 because pretty much no one here can afford one that costs more than that, and the ones that can tend to build their own.

faxman75
08-30-2008, 07:26 PM
In Arizona you can get a 3 bedroom 2 bath for about 115,000. Alaska be expensive. I have a good friend that has been living there for about a year now. His fiance was born and raised there and he met her in Seattle in the late 90's and then they both moved to Chicago and a year ago back to Alaska so he can go to school. He's in Juneau attending school. I need to visit soon.

BROKENDOLL
08-30-2008, 08:42 PM
About $150 per square foot if you're building a house yourself.

A standard nice 2-3 bedroom, 2 bath home with a 2-car garage on a half acre or so probably goes for around $300,000, depending on location.

Houses tend not to cost more than about $600,000 because pretty much no one here can afford one that costs more than that, and the ones that can tend to build their own.

In Arizona you can get a 3 bedroom 2 bath for about 115,000. Alaska be expensive. I have a good friend that has been living there for about a year now. His fiance was born and raised there and he met her in Seattle in the late 90's and then they both moved to Chicago and a year ago back to Alaska so he can go to school. He's in Juneau attending school. I need to visit soon. Oh, Walrus...Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the winter it's dark for those 6 months, and in the summer it stays light for the other 6? Yes? No? If indeed that's true, Faxman, imagine an Arizona summer day...110*/ 24/7, for 6 long months...

TickleMeElmo
08-31-2008, 01:31 AM
Oh, Walrus...Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the winter it's dark for those 6 months, and in the summer it stays light for the other 6? Yes? No? If indeed that's true, Faxman, imagine an Arizona summer day...110*/ 24/7, for 6 long months...

Correct... sort of. It doesn't really last all day but a majority of it. Just during the summer and winter though, it's pretty normal in the spring and fall.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-31-2008, 08:50 AM
Oh, Walrus...Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the winter it's dark for those 6 months, and in the summer it stays light for the other 6? Yes? No? If indeed that's true, Faxman, imagine an Arizona summer day...110*/ 24/7, for 6 long months...

It depends on where you are in the state, but it's not THAT extreme, as TickleMeElmo said.

Basically, the further north you are, the longer the days last in the summer/the longer the nights last in winter. On the summer solstice here in Fairbanks, the sun is up for about 21.5 hours (though when it goes down it's so close to the horizon it's still pretty bright out). On the winter solstice the opposite is true- the sun comes up and skids across the southern horizon for a couple hours and then sets. Daylight in between the solstices grows as you head toward the summer solstice (June 21), and wanes as you head away from it.

The Arctic Circle (66 deg. 33 min. North latitude), in case you were curious, is the demarcator above which the sun never sets on the summer solstice. The further north you go, the more extreme the swing is between summer and winter- Barrow, the northernmost town in Alaska, has a monthlong day with the solstice in the middle (and a monthlong night in the winter, the subject of the awful movie 30 Days of Night).

gaypalmsprings
08-31-2008, 09:05 AM
Do Alaskians miss the warmer weather?

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w302/gaypalmsprings/Coachella%202007/weather.jpg

Cpt. Funkaho
08-31-2008, 09:14 AM
Do Alaskians miss the warmer weather?

Right now I'm enjoying a brisk fall morning (we have to really savor fall up here because it lasts about 3 weeks and then there's an inch of snow on the ground), so not at the moment... but come December and a week or two at 40 below, I definitely will.

That said, the Coachella weekend is about enough heat to get me through the whole summer. I definitely like coming back to Alaska after that.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-31-2008, 09:46 AM
were you born in Alaska Cpt? Do you plan on staying after school?

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-31-2008, 09:47 AM
Also, Is Alaska a social conservative state?

Cpt. Funkaho
08-31-2008, 10:40 AM
were you born in Alaska Cpt? Do you plan on staying after school?

Yes, I was born here in Fairbanks.

I plan on leaving for a while after I'm done with school, but I hope to at least live here part-time in the future (maybe do the snowbird thing like a lot of people do- up here in the summer, somewhere to the south in the winter).

Cpt. Funkaho
08-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Also, Is Alaska a social conservative state?

Yes and no. Basically, everyone who comes here, at least in large part, is trying to get a fresh start (or, more cynically, trying to get away from something), so people are really sensitive about privacy and (to a great extent) respecting each other's differences.

On the other hand, because of the fresh-start thing and a variety of other factors, there are a lot of pretty fundamental religious people here, and they tend to be pretty narrowminded on social issues.

All in all, it's a pretty interesting mix. Generally I'd say we trend a little more socially conservative than most states (we have a state constitutional ban on same-sex marriage, but I guess then Hawaii does too), but it really depends on where you are in the state.

BROKENDOLL
08-31-2008, 10:52 AM
And here I thought Alaska was full of igloos, penguins, and snowshoe wearing fools! This is a very cool thread, Cpt.Funkaho! (VERY COOL, pun intended.)

menikmati
08-31-2008, 11:38 AM
Are you friends with the Hansen brothers?

Cpt. Funkaho
08-31-2008, 11:51 AM
Are you friends with the Hansen brothers?

I'm assuming that you're referring to the guys from Slap Shot... they were actually Canadians. I guess they still get mobbed when they go to hockey games- I read a "where are they now?" article about them in Sports Illustrated a little while back.

The only Hansen I was friends with was a guy named Zach Hansen who I went to elementary school with. In ninth grade he died in a snowboarding accident- landed wrong and broke his neck.

menikmati
08-31-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm assuming that you're referring to the guys from Slap Shot... they were actually Canadians. I guess they still get mobbed when they go to hockey games- I read a "where are they now?" article about them in Sports Illustrated a little while back.

The only Hansen I was friends with was a guy named Zach Hansen who I went to elementary school with. In ninth grade he died in a snowboarding accident- landed wrong and broke his neck.

Actually no, I meant Deadliest Catch.

bmack86
08-31-2008, 12:00 PM
http://www.photoseek.com/alaska-show/images/06AK_8035-Brown-bear_grizzly_Alaska-Zoo.jpg

Cpt. Funkaho
08-31-2008, 12:00 PM
Actually no, I meant Deadliest Catch.

Sorry, I don't watch much TV. I'm pretty much worthless on most shows, even relatively good ones like that.

menikmati
08-31-2008, 12:03 PM
My dad said, when he was in Alaska back in the 70's, that the bugs were extremely thick. I assume he means types of mosquitoes or flies or something, but he told me there spots (not sure what part/area of Alaska) where you would walk across fields, and each step you took, tons of bugs would just fly out of the mushy swampy field or whatever, he said it was miserable. Are bugs up there really that bad (I guess moreso in summer months)?

Cpt. Funkaho
08-31-2008, 12:04 PM
With regard to that picture, Brian, I think anyone who's ever seen a grizzly bear charge (or even mock-charge) will be weighing in on the bear's side in the bear v. gorilla rivalry.

bmack86
08-31-2008, 12:05 PM
but he looks so cuddly

Cpt. Funkaho
08-31-2008, 12:07 PM
My dad said, when he was in Alaska back in the 70's, that the bugs were extremely thick. I assume he means types of mosquitoes or flies or something, but he told me there spots (not sure what part/area of Alaska) where you would walk across fields, and each step you took, tons of bugs would just fly out of the mushy swampy field or whatever, he said it was miserable. Are bugs up there really that bad (I guess moreso in summer months)?

In populated areas it tends not to be so bad, mostly because populated areas tend not to be particularly near wet tundra, which is prime mosquito habitat. On the North Slope (the flat, treeless plain on the north side of the Brooks Range), however, the bugs are so thick that they can kill just-born caribou calves due to the amount of blood they suck.

bmack86
08-31-2008, 12:12 PM
Holy hell.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-31-2008, 12:17 PM
but he looks so cuddly

That's because he's dead.

bmack86
08-31-2008, 01:01 PM
He's just relaxin

BROKENDOLL
08-31-2008, 01:03 PM
but he looks so cuddly I was thinking the same thing...as I safely sit in front of my computer behind closed doors.

That's because he's dead. I think he's just patiently waiting to become someone's next rug, myself. And, Cpt.Funkaho, in regards to my earlier post about igloos and penguins...Was I close?

BROKENDOLL
08-31-2008, 01:10 PM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/small_9222104455501138761.gif http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/cunt-1.jpg

BROKENDOLL
08-31-2008, 01:14 PM
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x194/koolk9/Quatschbilder/twistedmind6.jpg http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb82/EagleSlaxMojo/ssigloo3wt.jpg

stinkbutt
08-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Penguins are South Pole
Polar Bears are North

BROKENDOLL
08-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Not to sidestep or anything, but here's a Coachella Igloo...http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/IMG_4109.jpg

Cpt. Funkaho
08-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Re: Brokendoll's question about igloos, penguins, and snowshoes:

Igloos: pretty much nonexistent. About the only time people build igloos is if they're hunting seal on the pack ice and there's a storm coming. Even then, it's usually more time-efficient to build a simple snow shelter by piling up snow, letting it sit and condense, and then hollowing it out.

Penguins: wrong hemisphere.

Snowshoes: Yeah, most of us have them. I have about 3-4 pairs; I tend to only use them when I'm ptarmigan hunting, though- otherwise it's not really worth the effort.

BROKENDOLL
08-31-2008, 02:20 PM
As soon as I'm done giggling, I need to start googling...WTF is a ptarmigan?

BROKENDOLL
08-31-2008, 02:24 PM
If you can own 3-4 pairs of snowshoes, then I don't feel so bad about the 17 pair of thong sandals I own. Alaskans probably don't even know what those are, huh? One more question...Do Alaskans really kiss by rubbing their noses?

TomAz
08-31-2008, 04:32 PM
Capt. F -- do they have meth whores in Alaska?

SoulDischarge
08-31-2008, 05:18 PM
fixed

Yes. It's breathtakingly beautiful sometimes. People pull over to the side of the road and shut off their headlights (not their cars, though- they still need the heater) to watch.

BROKENDOLL
08-31-2008, 05:25 PM
Capt. F -- do they have meth whores in Alaska? TomAz, you can't be serious...Can you imagine a meth whore living in a place that has daylight 21+ hours a day? There'd be fucking igloos everywhere!

Drugs: weed is rampant and quasi-legal thanks to a variety of judicial decisions. Up to 4 oz. in your home is legal, but it's illegal anywhere outside your home. The reason it's legal in your home is due to strong privacy protection measures in Alaska's constitution.

Other drugs: meth use is high in poorer areas. Cocaine is fairly readily available. Mushrooms are pretty easy to find if you know the right people. Drugs which are more chemically difficult to produce (ecstasy, MDMA, rohypnol, et cetera) are less common but they're here.

Prices are higher here than down there (except sometimes for weed, depending on your dealer and/or if you grow yourself), but the amount varies based on how hard the drug is to find.

Supply is consistent for more mainstream stuff (weed, meth, mushrooms, cocaine), less so for the less popular stuff.

I don't do drugs, so I'm not the resource I might otherwise be on this point.

Alcoholism is a problem, especially in Native communities where people have a lot of culture shock and don't have much of a sense of purpose anymore. In more developed places, this leads to problems with drinking and driving. We're trying hard to cut down on it, but it will probably always be an issue due the fact that there's not a lot to do in the winters. Now, with the alcoholism running rampant up yonder, you shouldn't have a problem finding someone who shares more of an interest with you...:)

Benis23
08-31-2008, 06:03 PM
Sorry, I don't watch much TV. I'm pretty much worthless on most shows, even relatively good ones like that.

What do you do with your free time in Alaska if you don't watch TV?

I just watched the movie Grizzly Man. Is there an Alaskan opinion on Timothy Treadwell (the guy who lived among bears for 13 summers before being eaten by a one alongside his girlfriend)?

Are many people lonely and/or depressed?

Cpt. Funkaho
08-31-2008, 11:09 PM
As soon as I'm done giggling, I need to start googling...WTF is a ptarmigan?

The willow ptarmigan is our state bird. Here is a picture.
http://www.polarbarcoding.org/images/photo_gallery/ptarmigan_small.jpg

It's a lot like a grouse, and just as stupid.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-31-2008, 11:14 PM
If you can own 3-4 pairs of snowshoes, then I don't feel so bad about the 17 pair of thong sandals I own. Alaskans probably don't even know what those are, huh? One more question...Do Alaskans really kiss by rubbing their noses?

Sandals are actually pretty popular up here, though moreso for shower shoes and house shoes in the winter. Lots of people wear them in the summer.

The "eskimo kiss" thing is pretty much horse shit... if people do it, they just do it to be cute.

Cpt. Funkaho
08-31-2008, 11:15 PM
Capt. F -- do they have meth whores in Alaska?

Yeah, actually. Probably more whores on meth than any other drug.

gmoneyak
10-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Yo Funkaho, I just heard that this year's dividend check was $3200. Was that the base amount or was something added to it?

That could definitely get me to drag my Dominican gf up there for a few years.

gaypalmsprings
10-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Yeah, actually. Probably more whores on meth than any other drug.

Is Sarah Palin a whore?

Cpt. Funkaho
11-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Yo Funkaho, I just heard that this year's dividend check was $3200. Was that the base amount or was something added to it?

That could definitely get me to drag my Dominican gf up there for a few years.

Shit, I haven't been around for a while, sorry.

No, the $3200 wasn't the base amount. The dividend this year was $2000, and there was a one-time $1200 payment added to it to help defray high energy costs.

Cpt. Funkaho
11-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Is Sarah Palin a whore?

Not likely.

As a Republican friend of mine (whose father lost the 2006 gubernatorial primary to Sarah) said, though, "I am glad that the majority of America now realizes what I have been saying for the past two years… she is a substanceless fraud, that skirts around issues and rides a wave of 'reform and transparency' that she doesn’t back up."

I'm totally with him on that.

kroqken
11-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Hey Alaskan, what was your state thinking in electing Sarah Palin? Also, why does Congressman Don Young keep getting reelected? Is that the best Alaska can do?