PDA

View Full Version : traffic fines in california

dnbmunke
08-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Hey guys I need your help. I have been looking all over the net to see how much an illegal u-turn in california will cost me.

I was able to find out that an infraction cannot exceed $250 not including court fees etc.

IDK....

I got pretty lucky with the cops. I was driving pretty fucking drunk from Pasadena to Newport Beach. My girl and I were celebrating our five year anniversary and we thought it would be nice to stop by the beach. We arrived at about three in the morning and left about an hour later.

This cop stops me like a mile from where I supposedly made the illegal u-turn (which I don't remember doing). He comes up to my car and asks me a series of questions. Eventually he smells the alcohol and asks me if I've been drinking (I had about seven beers all ranging between 7 to 9% alcohol.) From my experience being truthful with cops is always the best thing to do obviously. So I tell him I had a couple and he calls in back up.

As he asks me to get out of the car he smells the weed coming from my girls purse. Of course he asks about the smell and I tell him that she has a license. Make a long story short I get passed a series of tests which I have no clue how I fucking passed them. He then tells me I could have been arrested and had my car impounded. He let me go with just an infraction but my girl was served a misdemeanor. He allowed us to call a friend to pick us up.

What can I do? Should I fight my ticket in court? How can my girl get out of her citation?

The weird thing is that the cop searched my car and confiscated about a gram of kush but didn't take my pipe.

Any advice would help

marooko
08-24-2008, 10:38 AM
pay and be thankful it wasnt a $5000 DUI with court costs and shit for the both of you.

dnbmunke
08-24-2008, 10:49 AM
pay and be thankful it wasnt a $5000 DUI with court costs and shit for the both of you.

Yeah I know the cop was really fucking cool for doing that. I don't mind paying my fee. What concerns me more is that my girl got a misdemeanor.

She has a license for medicinal marijuana so can she get it removed? They only found a gram.

marooko
08-24-2008, 10:54 AM
she totally can, but you have to consider the cost. if she was looking at jail time, yes, fight it, but this?......your call.

dnbmunke
08-24-2008, 10:57 AM
she totally can, but you have to consider the cost. if she was looking at jail time, yes, fight it, but this?......your call.

Your right dude...

I guess I should just accept it and move on. Like you said I was pretty lucky we both didn't get our asses pounded by some crazy fine and jail time.

marooko
08-24-2008, 10:58 AM
it sucks but yeah, unless you know a lawyer that will help you for free, the time and cost may not be worth it.

if you wanna wait a little more to see what anyone else says, you may get some more help.

dont know how old you guys are or what you're in to, but if your lady is schooling for some sort of professional job, you may wanna weigh that as well. or if you're looking at some sort of job that requires driving.

BlueDevil50
08-24-2008, 11:55 AM
dude...honestly you are extremely lucky. cops aren't required to take a pipe, ,cuz they're not illegal. if it was a meth pipe it'd be a different story. if i were you, i'd just take my licks and pay the fines.

RotationSlimWang
08-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Nope. Do a search on it and you'll find more accurate info, but if you appear in court with her license and provide what constitutes in the eyes of the judge a legitimate medical explanation for her medicinal need, they'll tear up the ticket.

dnbmunke
08-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Nope. Do a search on it and you'll find more accurate info, but if you appear in court with her license and provide what constitutes in the eyes of the judge a legitimate medical explanation for her medicinal need, they'll tear up the ticket.

Well she got the license because she broke her ankle and since the surgery she has had severe pain. When they gave her painkillers she built a dependancy and they also made her nausious.

I hope the judge sees it as a good reason....

I also think that it might get dismissed because of the amount of weed we had in the car. It's not like we had a QP in the trunk. It was less than a gram.

dnbmunke
08-24-2008, 02:31 PM
dude...honestly you are extremely lucky. cops aren't required to take a pipe, ,cuz they're not illegal. if it was a meth pipe it'd be a different story. if i were you, i'd just take my licks and pay the fines.

shit your telling me bud....

I woke up this morning still feeling a little drunk. Last night almost felt like a dream.

I almost never drive drunk for obvious reasons but this was one of those great nights. We had a little too much fun and let our guard down.

Lesson learned.

RotationSlimWang
08-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Well she got the license because she broke her ankle and since the surgery she has had severe pain. When they gave her painkillers she built a dependancy and they also made her nausious.

I hope the judge sees it as a good reason....

I also think that it might get dismissed because of the amount of weed we had in the car. It's not like we had a QP in the trunk. It was less than a gram.

Erowid also has all the answers to drug law in addition to drug education. =) http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_law.shtml

dnbmunke
08-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Erowid also has all the answers to drug law in addition to drug education. =) http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_law.shtml

Thanks for that link. Very usefull.