PDA

View Full Version : Fox Fear Tactics

faxman75
08-22-2008, 11:21 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/images/root_images/082208_schoolworries.jpg

Drugs, disease, sex and the Web ... just a few of the things to be worried about before sending your kids back to school be warned and be smart.

marooko
08-22-2008, 11:22 AM
thats just going too far. they need to be shut down.

faxman75
08-22-2008, 11:25 AM
My concern is my kid started school LAST FUCKING WEEK! Now i'm panicked as they only provided this news today. WTF?!? My kids gonna get aids or some shit!

Srsly, look how young those kids getting on the bus are. wtf?

faxman75
08-22-2008, 11:26 AM
THE SEVEN CONCERNS!

1. The anti-vaccination movement. Misinformation about vaccines being linked to autism has spread like wildfire. As a result, some parents are choosing not to vaccinate their children. The result: diseases that were on the decline, like measles, are once again on the upswing.

“The anti-vaccination movement is based on irrational fears and is absolutely destructive,” Siegel said. “Vaccines are mainly for the sake of the herd, but no one cares about the community. However, if you want to protect the entire population, you have to vaccinate.”

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in July that a measles outbreak had infected at least 127 people in 15 states. It was the largest outbreak since the mid-1990s and most of those infected had not been immunized.

“I can’t say that every kid who doesn’t get vaccinated will get the measles,” Siegel said. “It really depends on where you live. But vaccines are pretty well regulated and drug makers aren’t making a lot of money on them, contrary to popular belief. Getting vaccinated is basically for the public good.”

2. The Internet. Kids are spending more and more time on the Wild Wild Web and it is critical that parents monitor their children’s activity on the computer, said Dr. Keith Ablow, a psychiatrist and FOX News contributor.

“Parents need to know that the Internet can be disinhibiting to young people and adults alike,” he said. “And people do things on the Internet they wouldn’t do in daily life. They offer information they wouldn’t normally offer in an interpersonal interaction that’s more human.”

Ablow recommends parents exert as much parental control as possible over their children’s Internet activities. That means talking to them about what is and isn’t acceptable and monitoring whom they are talking to and what sites they are visiting.

“You literally need to warn them that what they do on the Internet is real,” he said. “I’ve had teenage patients who have sent naked photos or partially naked photos to boyfriends, and if those things get passed around, it can carry a terrible stigma and lead to bullying both in and out of school. Parents need to warn youths that if they do something that’s inappropriate, it places them at risk.”

3. Bullying. Bullying is no longer relegated to the school yard. There are now cyber-bullies lurking on the Internet.

“Bullying is bullying whether it’s done on the Internet or in person and it has significant emotional ramifications,” Ablow said. “So children need to know that they can come to their parents anytime anyone makes them feel unsafe.”

Ablow suggests talking to children when they’re very young and again when they’re older and should stress that being bullied isn’t a sign of weakness or something children and teens should be embarrassed about.

“When somebody is bullied, it often means that they have sensitivities that someone else believes are valuable,” Ablow said.

Parents who are told that their children are being bullied should take immediate action and not assume that it’s just kids being kids or that the school district will handle it.

“The first step is defining the problem, assessing what is happening and going quickly to the student’s teacher and let them know what’s happening,” he said. “Parents need to be the first line of defense and take bullying very seriously. If they have a relationship with the other child’s parents, they may want to reach out in a confidential way.”

Bullying can impact a child’s experiences at school and in life, leading to long-term consequences such as depression and anxiety, Ablow said.

4. Teen and even 'tween sex. From pregnancy pacts to pregnant teen celebrities, many teens are getting the wrong message about sex, and the consequences of that message are the spread of sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV, and a rise in the teen pregnancy rate for the first time in 15 years.

“Sexual behavior between teens and adolescents is more common that most of us appreciated in the past,” Ablow said. “So it’s important for parents to share with their child that self respect involves your body, too, and there are risks to sexual contact.”

Some adolescents use sex as they would a drug, to feel good, said Ablow, and the results can be disastrous.

“You have to give them a twofold message that the risk of pregnancy exists and there’s also the tremendous risk of STDs, including HIV. And this is important because HIV education is one of those things that has receded, yet it’s just as important as ever.”

5. Drug and alcohol use. It’s true that experimentation has long been a rite of passage for teens. However, the age when kids start experimenting continues to decline, and obtaining drugs and alcohol appears to be easier than ever.

“We have very large percentages of kids using drugs or alcohol, and that should be something that every parent is talking to every child about,” Ablow said. “These are pervasive in most towns and cities in America, and kids need to know that you’re relying on them to not break the law at all when it comes to the use of illicit drugs. And yet, it’s so commonplace that young people try these things, you also have to let them know that there will never be a time when you’re not willing to listen when they need to talk.”

Drug and alcohol use can interfere with the maturing process that takes place during the teen years. It also can teach people from a young age to rely on drugs as a means of coping with life, Ablow said.

“What we want is for kids to experience all the varied emotions that go with maturing and feeling competent, and to be able to navigate the choppy waters that go with that,” he said. “And alcohol and drugs don’t make that any easier. Also, we know that violent crime and many indiscretions take place in the presence of alcohol and drugs.”

6. Illness. It was the big story this spring, but Siegel says MRSA may be one of the most over-hyped concerns that parents have.

While it’s true that there is a risk of picking up the so-called staph "superbug" in classrooms, locker rooms and gymnasiums, the spread of the sometimes-fatal bacteria, which is resistant to almost all forms of antibiotics, can be avoided by washing immediately after participating in sports and fitness activities, as sweat is a breeding ground for the germs that spread MRSA.

Parents should worry more about the common cold and other respiratory illnesses, Siegel said.

“Classrooms are swamped with bugs,” he said. “There was an interesting study done in Japan over a 25-year period, during the 1960s to the 1980s. It was done at a time when the flu and other vaccines were mandatory and what they found was that during that period the mortality rate due to the flu was down a million and the rate of respiratory illness were down over 200,000. So that shows you how important vaccines are.”

Avoiding colds and the flu, as well as bacterial infections such as strep throat and MRSA, could be as simple as educating children and teens about the importance of washing hands, Siegel said.

“Getting kids to wash their hands more can be done, but it’s difficult,” he said. “It would require a complete mindset change. So, for now, the best we can do is let schools handle it the way they do and do our best to isolate sick kids.”

7. Childhood obesity. About 23 percent of children in the U.S. are overweight or obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And with young people increasingly being diagnosed with adult diseases like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, Siegel said this is one problem parents need to be vigilant about.

“It’s an enormous problem because our schools are serving crap,” he said. “How about we put calorie labels on cafeteria food, like we do at Baskin Robbins?”

Siegel said parents should be worried because overweight children are more likely to suffer diabetes, cancer and strokes later in life. Counting calories may not seem to be a kid-friendly task, but Siegel believes that with a little education, it’s doable.

“It depends on how the information is portrayed, but kids can definitely be informed,” he said. “If we had kids meet in the lunch room 10 minutes earlier and gave them a 5-minute lecture, that might work. I know kids go through phases where they’ll only eat French fries. But if you restrict your kids’ choices, then they can’t eat them. Kids will eat when they get hungry no matter what you’re offering them.”

chairmenmeow47
08-22-2008, 11:37 AM
it's too bad my grandma didn't live long enough to become hypnotized by fox news, it would have been right up her alley. she was always trying to keep me inside for fear of africanized bees and crap like that.

amyzzz
08-22-2008, 11:51 AM
A lot of those are valid fears.

menikmati
08-22-2008, 11:54 AM
I was never told any of those. I was just always told to goto school, even when I was sick...which is why out of all my days from K through 12th grade, I missed maybe 3 days total.

amyzzz
08-22-2008, 11:58 AM
I should probably talk to my kids about some of this stuff. Peer pressure is a powerful thing.

SoulDischarge
08-22-2008, 12:02 PM
3. Bullying. Bullying is no longer relegated to the school yard. There are now cyber-bullies lurking on the Internet.

Why don't they just get Robo-cop to take out the cyber-bullies?

Westy
08-22-2008, 12:07 PM
A lot of those are valid fears.

I agree.

amyzzz
08-22-2008, 12:12 PM
That robocop movie traumatized me as a child.

marooko
08-22-2008, 12:13 PM
most of those are basic knowledge you should have learned living your own life and been told about by your parents. and im sure fox isnt the ONLY news station running this kind of thing.

chairmenmeow47
08-22-2008, 12:14 PM
so what you're saying is you wouldn't buy that for a dollar? :p

robocop is fucking hilarious. i didn't see it as a child though.

faxman75
08-22-2008, 12:14 PM
I dunno, I think it's just common sense in being a parent. My kid already has anxiety, i'm not sitting him down and talking to him about diseases, sex, and drugs. He's only 10. He is bit underdevloped at 10 as well as I know other 10 year olds might pick on him because he's small and looks like he's 6. So I talk to him about self defense and he has taken akido (sp?). The only internet website he ever goes on is nfl.com. He doesn't have a computer in his room at my place or moms. He certainly hasn't a clue about sex but damn it if I don't give him a "talk" in another year or two anyway, we shall see. His favorite movie is Kung Fu Panda and he loves the wwe and the nfl. I think if people use common sense and know their kids, they don't need Fox news building their anxieties and Fox isn't the only one to blame. The local news here in Phoenix is just as bad on other stations too. "Do you have a killer in your kitchen? Tune in at 10PM"

I guess my point is, it's fine to have a list of good and helpful tips but the image nad headline is way over the top. It succeeds in that it gets people to click but it's sensational.

amyzzz
08-22-2008, 12:15 PM
most of those are basic knowledge you should have learned living your own life and been told about by your parents. and im sure fox isnt the ONLY news station running this kind of thing.
Whatever. stfu until you have your own kids. It's easy to forget all this stuff in the day-to-day insanity of life.

faxman75
08-22-2008, 12:17 PM

Of course they aren't but it isn't the job of the news to get you to "worry". It should be to inform. Change the headline from the bolded you better be worried print to something like "back to school safety tips" and your not doing sleezy reporting preying on peoples fears.

marooko
Whatever. stfu until you have your own kids. It's easy to forget all this stuff in the day-to-day insanity of life.

yeah, when your on acid all the fucking time. go eat a knuckle sandwich bitch. and put me back on ignore.

amyzzz
I would definitely give a 10 year old the sex talk. I've told my kids (6 and 8)quite a bit already. It won't be too long before I have to pull out my X-rated college textbook and start scaring them.

marooko
08-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Of course they aren't but it isn't the job of the news to get you to "worry". It should be to inform. Change the headline from the bolded you better be worried print to something like "back to school safety tips" and your not doing sleezy reporting preying on peoples fears.

i completely agree, my point is, dont be so biased.

amyzzz
08-22-2008, 12:18 PM
yeah, when your on acid all the fucking time. go eat a knuckle sandwich bitch. and put me back on ignore.
You are on ignore, and this is the reason why fuckwad. You're right, I shouldn't click on whatever worthless drivel you have to spout out today.

marooko
08-22-2008, 12:19 PM
or any other day for that matter.

faxman75
08-22-2008, 12:23 PM
I would definitely give a 10 year old the sex talk. I've told my kids (6 and 8)quite a bit already. It won't be too long before I have to pull out my X-rated college textbook and start scaring them.

LOL, it's tough. Connor doesn't even quite grasp how he came to exisetence. he knows he was in the hospital a long time because he was a premie and had tons of lung and growth issues and it's miricle that he has come along as far as he has. He knows he was also cut out of mommy's tummy but aside from knowing he has a penis, I don't think he has a clue about anything sexual at all. As his dad, I don't see the point in talking to him about it until it's even possible he can use it. I'm thinking the next year or two at this point but every kids different.

marooko
08-22-2008, 12:28 PM
sooner than later, peer pressure is a bitch and you dont want him to give in. but you know your boy better than any of us. just dont underestimate what he may or may not know too much.

my girls little brothers are 9 and 12, im amazed at some of the shit they know sometimes. the 12 yr old said something about ho's a few weeks ago. we had a talk about that.

faxman75
08-22-2008, 12:33 PM
See, I have a friend who has a 10 year old and he's a totally different kid and obviously more emtoinally and physically developed and not as socially awkward either. His kid plays Halo and Grand Theft Auto can watch and do anything he wants and i'm not really exagerating. He brings him everywhere he goes with him and as long as there is a video game system the kid is occupied. He's taking him to the shooting range this weekend to practice on real guns as well. He figures he should educate him about every single thing he knows, so he has the knowledge and he uses it responsibly. It's interesting but not for me. He always invites us over and stuff when they are all drinking but I always pass because I don't to drink around my kid and I don't want to drive home with him in the car even on one drink.

So, people can be very different as can kids.

marooko
08-22-2008, 12:38 PM
See, I have a friend who has a 10 year old and he's a totally different kid and obviously more emtoinally and physically developed and not as socially awkward either. His kid plays Halo and Grand Theft Auto can watch and do anything he wants and i'm not really exagerating. He brings him everywhere he goes with him and as long as there is a video game system the kid is occupied. He's taking him to the shooting range this weekend to practice on real guns as well. He figures he should educate him about every single thing he knows, so he has the knowledge and he uses it responsibly. It's interesting but not for me. He always invites us over and stuff when they are all drinking but I always pass because I don't to drink around my kid and I don't want to drive home with him in the car even on one drink.

So, people can be very different as can kids.

you sound like a good dad. keep it up.

my mom never had any talks with me and when i was 16 my dad got me a box of condoms for christmas. that was fun opening in front of the fam.

i learned a lot of things in ways i probably shouldnt have.

faxman75
08-22-2008, 12:43 PM
I got the talk when I was 11 and I'm mature and had an idea of things already. It came directly after the movie Howard the Duck. We saw this in the theater and later that evening my mom called me into a room and started asking me if I know what a condom was like the one that fell out of Howards wallet. I don't think I had a clue about condoms at that point. It was an awful discussion. I was all "yep mom, I know all about it, thanks bye". I was not allowed to listen to Prince's "Purple Rain" when it first came out but that only lasted a few days and then I was allowed to have my cassette back and was instructed that "darling Niki" shoudln't be listened to by me. I was like umm i've already heard it a billion times.

stinkbutt
08-22-2008, 12:43 PM
I would definitely give a 10 year old the sex talk. I've told my kids (6 and 8)quite a bit already.

This seems a bit ridiculous does anyone remember why they got rid of D.A.R.E.? The kids were getting too much information at too early of an age.

faxman75
08-22-2008, 12:49 PM
I don't think that's ridiculous. Every kid is different. Just because that was the reason they said they got rid of dare deosn't mean that the information wasn't useful to most of the kids who got it. You are also comparing an in school outsourced program to a parent who knows their child.

marooko
I got the talk when I was 11 and I'm mature and had an idea of things already. It came directly after the movie Howard the Duck. We saw this in the theater and later that evening my mom called me into a room and started asking me if I know what a condom was like the one that fell out of Howards wallet. I don't think I had a clue about condoms at that point. It was an awful discussion. I was all "yep mom, I know all about it, thanks bye". I was not allowed to listen to Prince's "Purple Rain" when it first came out but that only lasted a few days and then I was allowed to have my cassette back and was instructed that "darling Niki" shoudln't be listened to by me. I was like umm i've already heard it a billion times.

in our house rock was the devil. it was evil. i dont even know how many tapes my mom broke. hahaha.

chairmenmeow47
This seems a bit ridiculous does anyone remember why they got rid of D.A.R.E.? The kids were getting too much information at too early of an age.

oh, i thought it was because DARE was useless. i never even learned about acid and guess what my first drug was!

the only thing i remember is the broken record response. god, i loved everytime they'd call you up to do practice scenarios. i'd always do the broken record response, but my version was to just say "NO NO NO NO NO NO" over and over again, lol.

marooko
08-22-2008, 12:50 PM
i never even learned about acid and guess what my first drug was!

haha. mine too.

faxman75
08-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Yeah "no" or "just say no" was a terrible fucking idea. Who doesn't know that if you simply say no that many times the kid is only going to be curious as to why and then try what they aren't supposed to try.

stinkbutt
08-22-2008, 12:55 PM
I don't think that's ridiculous. Every kid is different. Just because that was the reason they said they got rid of dare deosn't mean that the information wasn't useful to most of the kids who got it. You are also comparing an in school outsourced program to a parent who knows their child.

Eh I guess but I sure as hell wouldn't with my boy that early

marooko
08-22-2008, 12:56 PM
scare tactics never worked for me either. cant remember exactly how old i was but i was pretty young when that whole "acid" in the fake tattoos was going around. i was dying t get one for halloween. my plan was to hide it cause i knew my mom was looking for it. i didnt even know what acid was, i just knew i wasnt supposed to have it and i wanted it BAD!!

amyzzz
08-22-2008, 01:08 PM
I think I tell my children age-appropriate things. If my kids ask me a question, I really try to answer it instead of deflecting it or acting all embarrassed. And when I tell them certain things about their bodies or sex now, they don't act embarrassed, maybe because they are too young to feel that way yet.

locachica73
08-22-2008, 01:11 PM
You have to start early, or you end up with kids who know more then you do about drugs and such. My daughter informed me the other day she has already tried shrooms and she is not quite 16 yet. And don't think moving them into a good neighborhood will be the way out either. That is what I thought and it just meant the kids afford better drugs then we did as kids.

amyzzz
08-22-2008, 01:13 PM
You have to start early, or you end up with kids who know more then you do about drugs and such. My daughter informed me the other day she has already tried shrooms and she is not quite 16 yet. And don't think moving them into a good neighborhood will be the way out either. That is what I thought and it just meant the kids afford better drugs then we did as kids.
Exactly. I read this article in the Phoenix New Times several years ago about 3rd graders trying meth, so it's never too soon with drugs. And heck, kids in jr high give blowjobs now.

faxman75
08-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Loca, how did you respond to the 15 year old when she told you about shrooms? Is it possible to sit her down and be rational and explain medically how the brain is not fully devloped and taking pscychadelics can lead to long term damage or even stunt growth?

stinkbutt
08-22-2008, 01:18 PM
kids in jr high give blowjobs now.

This was even the case when I was in school don't know from first hand though. My youngest sister was telling me the other day that girls she goes to school with that are "saving themselves" or are scared of getting pregnant are doing anal instead. I found that just fucking crazy she's in 8th grade

locachica73
08-22-2008, 01:19 PM
At that age they don't think we as adults know anything unfortunatly. Right now she is at Florence Crittenton for running away and stealing my car, she has to do individual counseling and family counseling and 3 weeks into it she still thinks she knows more then me and her therapist put together. But we keep trying to talk to her about things. The only plus side that I see is she views things pretty much the same as me and swears to never try anything harder or not natural but I still don't want her doing these things at her age. I guess that makes me a hypocrite (sp?).

faxman75
08-22-2008, 01:28 PM
It doesn't make you a hypocrate to keep her safe and healthy. It's a myth that shrooms are safe because they are natural.

chairmenmeow47
08-22-2008, 01:30 PM
It doesn't make you a hypocrate to keep her safe and healthy. It's a myth that shrooms are safe because they are natural.

seriously. just because poison is natural doesn't mean it's ok.

locachica73
08-22-2008, 01:31 PM
yeah and if at 35 i am still too scared to give it a shot it scares the shit out of me that my daughter has done them. Plus I was her age at one point. Not that long ago it seems. And I know what guys do. I remember twice specifically when I was smoking pot with my "homeys" and had them slip something on top and me end up being out of it and in a bad situation. Luckily I ended up puking on them so they were unable to take advantage of the situation.

amyzzz
08-22-2008, 01:31 PM
After all, there are lots of mushrooms (not the magic kind) that can shut down your liver function and kill you within a few hours.

locachica73
08-22-2008, 01:32 PM
They also don't know how to just get high, they have to get so high they don't know thier name. I like to smoke enough to just be happy, but still have control over myself. I have seen my daughter and her friends come home completely blown out of their heads.

amyzzz
08-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Kids and teens don't have the benefit of experience, and their brains are even wired to engage in risky behavior, so I really worry about some of this stuff, like the girls who send naked pictures to their teen boyfriends. Sure it's dumb, but teen girls in love don't realize the consequences.

locachica73
08-22-2008, 01:35 PM
The one thing that I don't worry about with my daughter is the boy situation. She has huge respect for her body and her attitude towards boys is very healthy. She knows how they are and she keeps her respect for herself. I wish I had been like that at her age. Although she says she learned it from me and her aunt but at her age I had the lowest self esteem so I was an easy target for the boys.

faxman75
08-22-2008, 01:40 PM
seriously. just because poison is natural doesn't mean it's ok.

I learned more from Dr. Drew than anyone else in the world regarding drugs, addition and side effects. I was a late bloomer as well, I got my education while I was experimenting. Pot and alchol and sex at 18 and lsd at 19 then tried coke at about 20-21.

Hell, I guess I didn't need the talk until I was 17 lol.

chairmenmeow47
08-22-2008, 01:41 PM
I learned more from Dr. Drew than anyone else in the world. I was a late bloomer as well, I got my education while I was experimenting. Pot and alchol and sex at 18 and lsd at 19 then tried coke at about 20-21.

Hell, I guess I didn't need the talk until I was 17 lol.

dr. drew is the MAN! also my old man crush ;) the best advice from him i ever heard had to do with breakups. he was talking with someone about how they couldn't let go of their ex and he said something about how everytime you talk to the ex, you're "resetting the break-up clock". i use that one all the time. he's the man :)

faxman75
08-22-2008, 01:43 PM
They also don't know how to just get high, they have to get so high they don't know thier name.

I may have been that high last night.

I like to smoke enough to just be happy, but still have control over myself. I have seen my daughter and her friends come home completely blown out of their heads.

I usually take a few hits to take the edge off and relax because i'm always bored out of my fucking mind and full of anxiety and wanting to jump out of my skin then I smoke weed and the opposit happens and i'm a vegetable. I tend to play video games and watch movies while blasting music in my ears.

faxman75
08-22-2008, 01:46 PM
dr. drew is the MAN! also my old man crush ;) the best advice from him i ever heard had to do with breakups. he was talking with someone about how they couldn't let go of their ex and he said something about how everytime you talk to the ex, you're "resetting the break-up clock". i use that one all the time. he's the man :)

That show was more valuable than parents, DARE, MADD and any peer guidance a person could get. It was entertaining yet full of facts. I really absorbed a lot of information and I would go for Drew if I were gay. Tons of great analogies. Like if you start smoking pot when you are 16 and smoke it every day until you are 32 and then quit. Your mind will be at around that 16 immature place because it was on pause for quite a few years. Or Adam would discuss how really smart people or those just above average intelligence can smoke pot and it knocks them down to average, the danger occurs when dumb people smoke weed, they just get dumber or an average person and they get a little slow.

amyzzz
08-22-2008, 01:47 PM
I didn't listen to Love Line much, but from what I heard Dr Drew is seriously anti-marijuana.

chairmenmeow47
08-22-2008, 01:48 PM
i can't even listen to loveline anymore. i miss adam :(

faxman75
08-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Well the show is no good without Adam. That was obvious whenever Drew or Adam was out and someone filled in. It was not a good show. Adam and Drew had some killer chemistry. Without Adam, Drew was really boring. Without Drew, Adam was obnoxious and any other doctor sounded like a stiff.

Technically you could argue that drew was anti any drug or alcohol. Pot is bad for your lungs and can definitely rob you of your motivation and ambition.

faxman75
08-22-2008, 01:53 PM
To Drews credit there were several occasions where he actually didn't have a problem with it being legalized and put it at the same level as alcohol so some might say he was a bit more liberal about marijuana than most and talked about it's being on par with alcohol if not a little less harmful. That was the deal, he was very common sense about it.

downingthief
08-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Call me the anti-Randy. :p

I have never tried anything. Ever. It's not because of any moral high horse, or anything. Just have no desire to. Being a musician, I have seen just about everything done, and then some. I even earned the respect of a buddy of mine (Steve) who is a GREAT guy, and also the biggest pothead I know. He even came to my defense at a party when I said "No thanks" to a bong hit, and the dude passing to me was giving me a hard time about it. Steve whacked the dude upside the head and said, "He chooses not to do it, alright!". That was awesome.

We are all adults here, and we know the consequences/benefits of any action we take. Kids don't know that yet. In my eyes, my job as Parent is to teach my Son that he needs to be accountable for anything he does, and decide for himself if the benefits/consequences of his actions are worth it. To Loca's point, that MUST start early. Otherwise, it is an uphill battle.

marooko
08-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Call me the anti-Randy. :p

I have never tried anything. Ever. It's not because of any moral high horse, or anything. Just have no desire to. Being a musician, I have seen just about everything done, and then some. I even earned the respect of a buddy of mine (Steve) who is a GREAT guy, and also the biggest pothead I know. He even came to my defense at a party when I said "No thanks" to a bong hit, and the dude passing to me was giving me a hard time about it. Steve whacked the dude upside the head and said, "He chooses not to do it, alright!". That was awesome.

We are all adults here, and we know the consequences/benefits of any action we take. Kids don't know that yet. In my eyes, my job as Parent is to teach my Son that he needs to be accountable for anything he does, and decide for himself if the benefits/consequences of his actions are worth it. To Loca's point, that MUST start early. Otherwise, it is an uphill battle.

good for you for staying strong and sticking to what you believe in. seriously. and that last part, if i ever become a parent thats is gonna be one of the main things i will try to instill in my kid. responsibility and accountability. good call DT, good call.

stinkbutt
08-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Steve whacked the dude upside the head and said, "He chooses not to do it, alright!"

I've had to do this to dumbasses so many times for my friends and sometimes myself. It's always the stoners too, any other drug any one else is just like "ok more for us."

amyzzz
08-22-2008, 02:05 PM
I never tried any drug until I was 32. (prescribed pain meds don't count of course). I still have not smoked anything ever.

chairmenmeow47
08-22-2008, 02:07 PM
i never understood pushing drugs on someone. if you're not a dealer, that just means less for you. don't want any, fine, more for me. lol

and interesting sean :)

faxman75
08-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Yea, I don't get trying to entice someone into doing it at all. My roommate doesn't smoke and i'm guessing it would drive him crazy if I always asked him to try it. I don't see the point. He knows I smoke and if he ever got curious he could ask and it's that easy.

marooko
08-22-2008, 02:08 PM
I've had to do this to dumbasses so many times for my friends and sometimes myself. It's always the stoners too, any other drug any one else is just like "ok more for us."

it pisses me off that my compadres act this way. if someone says no, they mean no. whats the big fucking deal?? some of my friends trip out when i pass on smoking. they're like..."what?!?! really? you...why?" whats it fucking matter, i dont feel like smoking right now, end of story.

humanoid
08-22-2008, 02:20 PM
You are on ignore, and this is the reason why fuckwad. You're right, I shouldn't click on whatever worthless drivel you have to spout out today.

I just wanted to voice appreciation for someone using the proper word "drivel" instead of incorrectly using "dribble" in it's place.

locachica73
08-22-2008, 02:28 PM
I may have been that high last night.

I usually take a few hits to take the edge off and relax because i'm always bored out of my fucking mind and full of anxiety and wanting to jump out of my skin then I smoke weed and the opposit happens and i'm a vegetable. I tend to play video games and watch movies while blasting music in my ears.

I have been smoking more often with my ex then I should but I do find it does take the edge off my stress quite a bit and not the crappy hangover that i get from drinking. Too bad I could lose my job if caught. ugh

sames44
08-22-2008, 02:34 PM
dr. drew is the MAN! also my old man crush ;)

Mine too, holy shit - I thought I was the only one.