PDA

View Full Version : Right Wing Radio Hijacking Music

drugks Gillespie
08-19-2008, 04:47 AM
I listen to conservative talk radio now and again just to hear what kind of bullshit they are selling. Michael Savage likes to play Metallica and such in the return from breaks and what not. I've always thought it was weird and wondered if they (Metallica) knew about it, or had any say in the matter. I don't know, maybe they are republican but I doubt it. Today I caught some Shawn Hannity (Asshole) and almost puked when I heard Tool's Sober playing on his show. What the fuck is that shit about? Tool hates you Shawn, I Promise. Fuck You.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-19-2008, 06:51 AM
some one should tell Tool...

marooko
08-19-2008, 07:06 AM
yo fuck that!!!! they should only be allowed to play Christian rock. real rock is only for liberals. like the FBI copyright warning, its inside of every CD.

M Sparks
08-19-2008, 07:11 AM
I believe the title you meant to write was "Right wing Radio PLAYING music". "Hijacking" music evokes an image of them somehow interfering in the music industry, perhaps trying to lead some boycott...I don't know, could be a lot of things. I clicked this title with great interest, wondering what kind of evil shenanigans were up.

"PLAYING" music is what happens when a broadcaster has a blanket ASCAP/BMI license to play just about anything they want, and a 22 year old second tier producer throws on a riff he likes to come back from break.

So, uh, speaking of tools, just what exactly is on this list of yours of "right-wing approved" music that they could use. Would every show start and end with "Wango Tango"?

TomAz
08-19-2008, 07:49 AM
Rush Limbaugh has made The Pretenders' "My City Was Gone" his theme song since the 80s. Chrissie tells me she hates it but is powerless to do anything for the reason Sparky cited.

M Sparks
08-19-2008, 07:54 AM
Rush Limbaugh has made The Pretenders' "My City Was Gone" his theme song since the 80s. Chrissie tells me she hates it

I hate that song too.

Mr.Nipples
08-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Rush Limbaugh has made The Pretenders' "My City Was Gone" his theme song since the 80s. Chrissie tells me she hates it but is powerless to do anything for the reason Sparky cited.

One of the best bass lines of all time. I've ignored any and all 'input' that he has made as a human being for the sole purpose of me not having to relate that great song to his piece of shit show...disgusting. I hope he chokes to death on a hand full of pills.

frozen pilgrim
08-19-2008, 09:33 AM
as long as limbaugh leaves the REAL rush alone, I couldn't give a fuck

TomAz
08-19-2008, 09:43 AM
U262fyRoJS0

frozen pilgrim
08-19-2008, 09:58 AM
holy VHS tracking, batman!

haha thanks, tomaz

M Sparks
08-19-2008, 12:34 PM
as long as limbaugh leaves the REAL rush alone, I couldn't give a fuck

They were on Colbert Report recently though. Do fake right wingers count?

I won't even bother to look for it on Youtube...fucking Viacom. You'd really have to see the whole episode anyway- it was packed with Rush jokes.

frozen pilgrim
08-19-2008, 12:58 PM
I saw it! ctv.ca has a full stream of every episode archived

M Sparks
08-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Luca, you've got to see the episode from the NEXT day too. Colbert wakes up at his desk and they are just finishing Spirit Of Radio.

frozen pilgrim
08-19-2008, 02:41 PM
shit, I'll get on it

PassiveTheory
08-19-2008, 05:02 PM
I swear to god I heard Knives Out in the background during one of the NBC Olympics segments... Maybe I'm just hearing things because of the show next week, but that was trippy.

drugks Gillespie
08-19-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm okay with the olympics playing good music, but Tool stands for everything the neocons are against and vice versa. Fuck Shawn Hanitty .

boarderwoozel3
08-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Hannity really is an ass. Its shocking that there are people who think like he does and are ok with it.

M Sparks
08-20-2008, 05:52 PM
#1- Why watch/listen to these douchebags?

#2- If you are going to subject yourself to their bullshit, why complain about hearing good music? I can only assume you are a masochist.

#3- I suppose the same case could be made for me, reading idiotic threads and then responding to them as if I expect a rational conversation could be had.

#4- In any case, shut the fuck up. Or at least learn to write more accurate subject headers.

MissingPerson
08-20-2008, 06:00 PM
I seem to recall Jenna Bush mentioning she was a Radiohead fan...

canexplain
08-20-2008, 06:01 PM

#2- If you are going to subject yourself to their bullshit, why complain about hearing good music? I can only assume you are a masochist.

#3- I suppose the same case could be made for me, reading idiotic threads and then responding to them as if I expect a rational conversation could be had.

#4- In any case, shut the fuck up. Or at least learn to write more accurate subject headers.

we agree on most things msparks but;

a)i have to hear what the thier side is saying
b)i dont want assholes to be playing "our music"
c)dont know lol
d) i have reported rush more then once on what i thought was over the edge ...x****

Backwater
08-20-2008, 06:05 PM
I know of an even more conservative/right-wing/retarded person than Sean Hannity who is a big fan of an even more liberal band, Ann Coulter is a big fan of The Grateful Dead. What a stupid bitch.

Hannity/Tool is pretty bad too. They hear the lyrics but they must not actually listen to or understand them. I heard that Bill O'Reilly likes The Doors too. I wonder if Dick Cheney likes Rage?

Blinken
08-20-2008, 06:10 PM
I know of an even more conservative/right-wing/retarded person than Sean Hannity who is a big fan of an even more liberal band, Ann Coulter is a big fan of The Grateful Dead. What a stupid bitch.

Hannity/Tool is pretty bad too. They hear the lyrics but they must not actually listen to or understand them. I heard that Bill O'Reilly likes The Doors too. I wonder if Dick Cheney likes Rage?

I take it you didn't see Cheney in the pit at Coachella?? Mother fucker ran up to the front at the last minute saying he would shot us in the face if we didn't get the fuck out of his way, it was some crazy shit.

http://signalhillinstituteoftechnology.com/dick_cheney.jpg

Backwater
08-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Hahaha

canexplain
08-20-2008, 07:29 PM

two biggest i hate, and i listen to them maybe 2 to 3 hours everyday, just to get my blood pressure up i guess .... male...hannity .. female .. coulter (dike) and dikes are ok, but not if they surpress it lol :) ... because of the thread title, and the dnc thread, i may say things that are on the edge ... ya know i love ya gang, but the next 72 days ? yikes , i say a day in a life a lot, but this time is the last day in a life for me, get it right this time, or i give up ...x****

marooko
08-20-2008, 09:07 PM

so because something sounds good, is produced well, has feeling and has a message that is delivered well, someone cant like it if they dont agree with the complete message?

Backwater
08-20-2008, 09:18 PM
It's just funny, that's all. Like drugks says, it's okay to like good music but Ann Coulter stands for everything GD was against and vice versa. It's just one more example of the plethora of ways in which she is ignorant. This one's my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg7IhR0ccgo

drugks Gillespie
08-21-2008, 02:14 AM

#1 Watching and listening to what they say and do keeps us informed of what they are trying to convince people of. You don't have to listen to more than one because they all have the exact same talking points. The way I see it we are in a class war and it is wise to pay attention to how our enemies are fighting it. They are relentless and manipulative.

#2 I am not a masochist. Tool is not the soundtrack of the right wing agenda period.

#3 No rebuttal.

#4 Taking music that has it's roots in liberal ideology, progressive thinking, agnostic principles, a connection to a psychedelic subculture, and a knowledge of evolution to push their agenda by making the show sound better, edgier, or more entertaining to me constitutes a hijacking of something sacred. Would Shawn Hannity come back to break from Tool if he knew any of Maynard's lyrics. "Fuck your God, your Lord, your Christ" - MJK, APC- Judith. Maybe he should come back from break to that song, it's got a nice guitar riff that would go great before he starts babbling about his faith in Jesus.

marooko
08-21-2008, 07:59 AM
you people scare me.

M Sparks
08-21-2008, 09:21 AM
a)i have to hear what the thier side is saying
b)i dont want assholes to be playing "our music"

I get "A" I guess, I just can't do it, cause my brain will explode.

But as for "B", like I mentioned, it's not like the hosts have much of anything to do with the intro/outro music. Those shows have a half-dozen levels of producers. Who knows how many of them actually agree with the shows content. That music could have been picked by some kid who just got out of college and took the job because he couldn't afford not to. Throwing in a riff from, say, Muse's "Take A Bow", could be his form of protest. He's slipping in the instrumental part of an anti-Bush (and/or Blair) song. I would think you, Ron, could get behind subtly sticking it to the man.

And again, it's like a bonus to help you get though listening to this dipshit. Music should be the one thing that can bring people with different ideas together anyway.

I can see the point, if they are specifically missing or distorting the message of the song. This is usually the case in political campaigns, like Reagan using Born In The USA, even though it meant the opposite of what he thought it did.

Also, in Tom's example, where Rush has used the same song for years, he's gotta be involved in that. But if Hannity wants to rock a little coming back from break, and an intern wants to play something cool, why is this a problem for anyone?

As for the original post, where he "wondered if Metallica knew about it"...I don't like the concept of a world where an artist has a say in who is allowed to enjoy their publicly released art. That sounds at least as fascist as Savage.

The station pays their license, Metallica gets their cut of the money, end of story. Fuck 'em if they don't like it. They signed the publishing contract, they signed away their rights to complain about where it gets played. It's NOT the same as asking a political candidate to stop using their music. The candidate is not paying the ASCAP/BMI dues, and they are, for lack of a better word, "hijacking" the music to further their cause. It can be taken as an endorsement, and they have every right to ask (or force) them to stop, because the candidate is not licensing it properly.

gaypalmsprings
08-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Dr. Laura ruined a perfectly good Patti LaBelle song.

M Sparks
08-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Would Shawn Hannity come back to break from Tool if he knew any of Maynard's lyrics. "Fuck your God, your Lord, your Christ" - MJK, APC- Judith. Maybe he should come back from break to that song, it's got a nice guitar riff that would go great before he starts babbling about his faith in Jesus.

My point exactly. He doesn't know. He doesn't have anything to do with it.

It would be AWESOME if some producer did that to him.

marooko
08-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Music should be the one thing that can bring people with different ideas together anyway.

its too bad most of the people posting in this thread dont see this. i think i need to get rid of a bunch of my music because apparently its "theres", not mine, ours or the artists.

kroqken
11-21-2008, 10:55 PM
At least none of the right wing talk show hosts play the Smiths, not even Mike Gallagher, Larry Elder or Lars Larson. Believe it or not, that Republican dweeb Joe Scarsborough on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" show plays some decent bumper music.

kroqken
11-22-2008, 01:45 PM
In addition, Tom Leykis uses Metallica on his show, and he certainly is not right wing, unlike Michael Savage.