PDA

View Full Version : New Bloc Party Album Out Digitally on Thursday!!!

C DUB YA
08-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Wow this is unexpected.

(from Bitchfork)

On August 21-- as in this Thursday-- Bloc Party will digitally release Intimacy, their unexpectedly imminent third full-length LP.

A physical release of Intimacy, featuring different tracks from the digital incarnation, is due October 28 from Atlantic in the U.S., and October 27 in the UK via Wichita. You can flip on over to the Bloc Party website to preorder your copy of Intimacy in whichever form you please right this instant, if you'd like. If you pre-order the physical version, you get the digital version as well.

Intimacy is being released in this increasingly more orthodox fashion to combat the kind of leakage that got A Weekend in the City out on the web many months before its eventual release. The album was produced by Silent Alarm's Paul Epworth and Weekend's Jackknife Lee and mixed by Alan Moulder (My Bloody Valentine, Smashing Pumpkins), and it's being described as "wildly experimental" in parts and "simply classic Bloc Party" in others.

I just wanna know if "Biko" is a Peter Gabriel cover, and, given how much first single "Mercury" sounds like a jacked up "Shock the Monkey", I reckon I won't be surprised if it is.
But I digress. New Bloc Party album! For the weekend!

Bloc Party have a few dates to attend to throughout the coming months, and promise more in the States later on in 2008.

Intimacy:

01 Ares
02 Mercury
03 Halo
04 Biko
05 Trojan Horse
06 Signs
07 One Month Off
08 Zephyrus
09 Better Than Heaven
10 Ion Square

suprefan
08-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Well, we'll have it by wednesday night...

bmack86
08-18-2008, 01:59 PM
A Biko cover would be interesting, but I wager they'd fuck it up.

Sushov23
08-18-2008, 02:00 PM
i was about to make a thread about this. Bastards want people to basically pay twice for the album, screw that. where is the leak?

thestripe
08-18-2008, 02:01 PM
*yawn*

C DUB YA
08-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Just pre-order the hard copy and you get the digi with it.

That Mercury song was played at Lolla - sounded good and slightly experimental for them.

Sushov23
08-18-2008, 02:27 PM
but it's 20 bucks. and the digi copy is 10. So I would rather rip the album from "somewhere" and then buy the album for 10 bucks at target or something when it comes out in Oct.

C DUB YA
08-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Ah gotcha.

bmack - I saw your avatar in Sky Mall.

suprefan
08-18-2008, 04:08 PM
i was about to make a thread about this. Bastards want people to basically pay twice for the album, screw that. where is the leak?

There is no leak if its digital first, and hard copy second with such a far off release date. What, cant wait 2 and half days?

Sushov23
08-18-2008, 04:57 PM
There is no leak if its digital first, and hard copy second with such a far off release date. What, cant wait 2 and half days?

what are you talking about? can't wait 2 and a half days? I don't want to pay for the digital copy, and THEN ALSO PAY for the actual CD.

suprefan
08-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Then dont get the digital, wait for it to get online, then get the physical, and shut up.

Sushov23
08-18-2008, 05:02 PM
that is what i'm doing, fucking read man. I am going to rip it, and when it gets released i'm going to buy it. What I wrote was just explaining it to C Dub. That is what happens when you don't read the whole thread. It's cool though, good vibes today.

PassiveTheory
08-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Boo.

boarderwoozel3
08-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Seeing Bloc Party live has partially ruined my enthusiasm for them. I'd heard they were boring live but damn! They all stand totally still and stare at their instuments. I'm into their sound and all but they could at least try to move on stage, hop a little maybe, anything?

woogie846
08-18-2008, 05:24 PM
lame.

TBrown33
08-18-2008, 09:21 PM
I heard in the past that they were rather stiff on stage. But then I saw them a couple weeks ago at the Mayan and they were fantastic. Kele, in particular, was great.

C DUB YA
08-18-2008, 10:46 PM
I've seen them 4 times - never stiff.

bmack86
08-18-2008, 10:48 PM
The first time I saw them they were amazing. That was back in 04 right before the first single when i wandered upon them playing at UCLA. They were good the other times, but not quite as good. I heard that the 05 show at Coachella was fantastic. Board people raved about it back then.

chrissandstrom
08-18-2008, 11:33 PM
i thought they were terrible at detour last year, but i enjoyed that video on youtube of them playing the new single..was promising

OutOfmYminD
08-19-2008, 01:18 AM
Sooo uh the physical and digital versions are different? Bonus tracks or are they replacing songs? Looks like they really are trying to get you to buy both.

C DUB YA
08-20-2008, 10:54 AM
It was $10 for both when I ordered it yesterday

thestripe
08-20-2008, 07:23 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WYdyExUfIbI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WYdyExUfIbI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

meh.

Sushov23
08-20-2008, 07:33 PM
I love that song. Very dancy.

C DUB YA
08-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Yeah me too, Mercury is quite cool. I like that they are changing things up a bit.

I think I hate that video though.

TBrown33
08-20-2008, 11:52 PM
I've seen them 4 times - never stiff.

Fair enough. I'm really just going off one person's opinion when I said that. I think he saw them twice. I had only seen youtube vids of them before I saw them in person and they looked pretty good to me...but then again, hard to tell without being there.

Nevertheless, I thought they were fucking great a few weeks back when I saw them. Their fill in bassist was damn good, too (especially since Moakes has to do tons of shit on stage other than bass...drums on Sunday, the glockenschpiel on Waiting for the 718, the electronics on Mercury and Flux...by the way, they did Flux during the encore and bled into it with another track - possibly on the new album? - that Kele had to read lyrics from a piece of paper for).

The light show was fantastic (especially during Mercury...they had these red and white rotating backlights that were on each band member and it made me feel like I was in Candyland) and Kele was unbelievable. When they did Positive Tension (second to last song of encore, before Helicopter), Kele came out into the crowd. Pretty great show overall, Kele's voice was great and the sound overall was top notch.

I fell in love with the Silent Alarm Bloc Party, but I fully embrace their new direction in experimenting with electronics. Progress is a good thing (see: Radiohead...not saying Bloc Party is Radiohead, despite Russell's best physical imitations of Johnny Greenwood, but I love that they are growing with their sound).

Derekx
08-20-2008, 11:54 PM
I can't wait to hear this. I'll get it tomorrow.

TBrown33
08-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Also, I pre-ordered the digital copy...do I get it at midnight? Is it emailed to me, or do I have to log in somewhere to download it.

suprefan
08-20-2008, 11:57 PM
I am guessing they will let you know.... Did it not say how you coudl get it when they released it?

OutOfmYminD
08-21-2008, 12:17 AM
So uh yea, it's downloading. Impressions in the morning!

suprefan
08-21-2008, 12:19 AM
downloading too, oh i love 3rd party sources...

Sushov23
08-21-2008, 12:20 AM
time to look for it.

suprefan
08-21-2008, 12:22 AM
Its nowhere, yet...................

Sushov23
08-21-2008, 12:23 AM
do you have it?

TBrown33
08-21-2008, 12:29 AM
I like how I have two e-mails from Atlantic Records saying I pre-ordered the thing, but with no instructions how to actually, you know, download it.

The web site says it is now "released" to....released...to somewhere...but where.

suprefan
08-21-2008, 12:35 AM
Why dont you check their site? starting to listen now...

TBrown33
08-21-2008, 12:44 AM
From the FAQ:

"A. Once your order has been completed, you will receive an online order confirmation page that will have a Download Now button with a link inside. You will also receive an order confirmation email that also will have Download Now link. How you actually download your music depends on whether you have a PC or a MAC."

I guess I just have to wait for THAT email...although I'm now tempted to go third party...It would be perfect since I'm staying up all night writing, ach.

edit: I folded. can't wait any longer.

Sushov23
08-21-2008, 01:06 AM
anyone want to send me a PM you know for yeah?

TBrown33
08-21-2008, 01:26 AM
Nevermind. Just got emailed to me. Thanks, Atlantic.

TBrown33
08-21-2008, 02:03 AM
Wow...I don't know about you guys, but this album sounds amazing. I'm up through Zepherus with two tracks to go...this is an amazing track.

C DUB YA
08-21-2008, 05:46 AM
Sounds great to me as well.

Already like it better than Weekend in the City.

Sounds a lot more instant - where you could tell they had some hiccups with some of the tracks off of Weekend in the City. Hiccups that prolonged getting that record finished, this on the other hand, took what... 2 months?

drowningmatt
08-21-2008, 07:14 AM

This is waaaayyy better than Weekend In The City. I like this album alot.

Tylerdurden31
08-21-2008, 07:55 AM
beginning of the first track reminds me of The Prodigy and Mercury sounds like a remix. Better than A Weekend In the City so far

OutOfmYminD
08-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Bloc Party continues to mine the same ground lyrically but I do like the the album better than Weekend in the City. Will give it time to see if it grows on me but besides a few tracks that try some different things there's nothing on this album that Silent Alarm didn't do better. Will give it another full listen on the way home tonight.

hawkingvsreeve
08-21-2008, 11:24 AM
I like how the first ripoff comes only 10 seconds into the record.

Sushov23
08-21-2008, 12:40 PM

Sounds a lot more instant - where you could tell they had some hiccups with some of the tracks off of Weekend in the City. Hiccups that prolonged getting that record finished, this on the other hand, took what... 2 months?

I started listening to Weekend in the City again recently and I must say I really like it now. A couple of tracks are weak, but most of them are good.

212margarita
08-28-2008, 10:36 AM
listened to this on my way into work this morning an i was really digging it. it reminds me of silent alarm at times, but definitely has its own thing going on. the lyrics are much better than on weekend in the city too.

thestripe
09-02-2008, 03:53 PM
I listened to it over the weekend and it sucks. It's not really a surprise but since this thread seems to like it I'll give my two shits. Okay, it's not as bad as "Weekend in the City" but not too far off. Kele Okereke vocals are just as annoying on "Intimacy" as they were on "Weekend in the City". As a band they try and push out a bit using a ton of effects and gimmick's that sound cool but tend to get old midway though the song. There are a few tracks on "Intimacy" that are enjoyable but as a record I would put it in the same boat as WITC (couldn't make it through that record if I tried). It's too bad because I actually liked Silent Alarm (have not listened to it in quite some time so I don't know how it has aged with me) when it came out, and enjoyed their 05 Coachella set as well. Oh well.

sbessiso
09-02-2008, 03:55 PM
they just make me want to listen to franz ferdinand

Sushov23
09-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Ares= Prodigy cover????? maybe.