PDA

View Full Version : recommend me some good trip hop albums

psychoc&ndy
08-13-2008, 10:39 PM
can't get enough of it

NicoDread
08-13-2008, 10:56 PM
what are you already familiar with? and do you like stuff leaned more towards hip-hop, or jazz, or dub, or what?

psychoc&ndy
08-13-2008, 11:01 PM
what are you already familiar with? and do you like stuff leaned more towards hip-hop, or jazz, or dub, or what?

to be honest, that's the thing i appreciate most about trip hop, is its ability to interweave hip hop jazz and dub. for example the thievery corporation, i love that they use all three of those styles to make their music. so its hard for me to so what i prefer. i have loved air, portishead, massive attack, thievery, and faithless for awhile now but recently i have wanted to expand my catalog

psychoc&ndy
08-13-2008, 11:02 PM
the more i think about it though, is that i prefer it to be somewhere between dj shadows entroducing and some good dub mixed in

jazzz
08-13-2008, 11:11 PM
anything by SMITH AND MIGHTY...

TAXI
KID LOCO
maybe Desmond Williams if you like Thieve Corp

luckyface
08-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Funki Porcini is a favorite of mine who probably could be classified as trip hop. I can't distinguish the genre too well. I get it all mixed up with IDM and downtempo.

PassiveTheory
08-14-2008, 02:07 AM
You should really just go through the IDM/Downtempo thread.

ORRRRRR... I could be a whore and link to my old radio show topic.

Basically, here are some downtempo bands to check out:

Air
Amon Tobin
Aphex Twin
Boards of Canada
Burial
Morcheeba
Zero 7
Thievery Corporation
Sounds from the Ground
Bonobo
DNTEL
Autechre
Mum
Royksopp
Goldfrapp's Felt Mountain and Seventh Tree discs
Soma Sonic
Spylab
Taxi
DJ Shadow
DJ Krush
Kid Loco
Fila Brazilia
The Orb
Supreme Beings of Leisure
Trifonic
Lovage
Handsome Boy Modeling School
Tycho
Alpha
Plaid
The Dining Rooms
Conjure One
Sia

NicoDread
08-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Jazzanova is similar to Thievery Corp. And Crustation's "Bloom" is excellent.

bug on your lip
08-14-2008, 11:12 AM
i thought this thread was going to be about drunk kangaroos

BlackSwan
08-14-2008, 11:13 AM
if you like trip hop at all i can't stress enough how important it is listen this is record...

http://sleevage.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/endtroducing.jpg

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...

SFChrissy
08-14-2008, 11:31 AM
to be honest, that's the thing i appreciate most about trip hop, is its ability to interweave hip hop jazz and dub. for example the thievery corporation, i love that they use all three of those styles to make their music. so its hard for me to so what i prefer. i have loved air, portishead, massive attack, thievery, and faithless for awhile now but recently i have wanted to expand my catalog

Kruder & Dorfmeister...
http://triphopx.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/cover.jpeg

This is a sweet double disc!!!

SFChrissy
08-14-2008, 11:32 AM
anything by SMITH AND MIGHTY...

Good Call!!!

PassiveTheory
08-14-2008, 12:52 PM
You know, I've had that K&D record for a while now, but I haven't been able to, like, really get a feel for it (i.e. like it enough to recommend it to other people).

marooko
08-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Kruder & Dorfmeister...
http://triphopx.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/cover.jpeg

This is a sweet double disc!!!

fuck yeah it is.

SFChrissy
08-14-2008, 01:04 PM
You know, I've had that K&D record for a while now, but I haven't been able to, like, really get a feel for it (i.e. like it enough to recommend it to other people).
It's really calming for me...I was playing it while me and my mom were hanging out and she even liked it and she's unique...