PDA

View Full Version : M.I.A.

faxman75
08-13-2008, 07:52 AM
So, is this fad over? She couldn't hack it anymore as a touring performer and she retires at bonnaroo.

buy bye.

jigsaw
08-13-2008, 07:54 AM
breaking news

Ardentbiscuit
08-13-2008, 07:56 AM
Comedic mistake in pollstar, I'm sure they'll fix it.

They mixed her up with MIA playing the warped tour.

M.I.A.

Print
Limit Date Range: to

appearing at "Vans Warped Tour"

Thu 08/14/08 Chula Vista, CA Cricket Wireless Amphitheatre

Sun 08/17/08 Carson, CA The Home Depot Center

If we have some information that is incorrect on this itinerary, please send us an email.

http://pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?Content=A-MIA&By=All&PSKey=Y&StartSearch.x=18&StartSearch.y=6

HunterGather
08-13-2008, 08:13 AM
Fad?

jigsaw
08-13-2008, 08:15 AM
I think it is a differnt band by the same name.

As for THE MIA. I don't think it's over, there are still hundreds of punk songs left for her to rip off. I'm glad I got to see her. I found this dope clip of her at Vegoose. Check it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dh6zGP8A9Jk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dh6zGP8A9Jk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

faxman75
08-13-2008, 08:15 AM
lol

Jigsaw, it obviously wasn't meant to be breaking news. It was meant to discuss at leangth something that I haven't seen discussed to much which is interesting considering how much people love her. I don't believe it just got too exhausting. That seems weird. She went from being some poor sri lanken refugee to an up and coming pop star and then somehow just called it quits. I find that interesting. She came a long way from her underground mix tapes being circulated on the street to a festival darling.

jigsaw
08-13-2008, 08:21 AM
Well she probably just took way too much acid at Bonnaroo and FREAKEDOUT! I don't think she's over she has some dope beats and some thought provoking lyrics (not in all her songs).

"Are gold and diamonds helping you out? I hope you like my bandana..."

There has to be about 1,000,000 threads on this chick.

faxman75
08-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Maybe, I don't think the search feature is working though. I put in M.I.A. and MIA and got zero results in thread titles.

jigsaw
08-13-2008, 08:46 AM
That's cool. I just don't want to repeat anything that has already been said.

This song is for all you nasty freaks. "Tap, tap that bed to the wall"
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LzkCEXVVb1Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LzkCEXVVb1Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

PrettyRagdoll
08-13-2008, 09:51 AM
I think it is a differnt band by the same name.

As for THE MIA. I don't think it's over, there are still hundreds of punk songs left for her to rip off. I'm glad I got to see her. I found this dope clip of her at Vegoose. Check it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dh6zGP8A9Jk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dh6zGP8A9Jk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Her Vegoose set was definitely one of her best. As for her not touring anymore... I know I read an Interview with her last year before she started touring for Kala and she said it would most likely be a while before the next cd came out because she had to have something to write about.

zenidogx
08-13-2008, 09:59 AM
maybe the fad amongst the hipsters is over. she's been on the radio alot lately. so her fad in the mainstream is reaching its height. reminds me of Gnarls Barkley in 06 or Feist in 07.

slurpee
08-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Her beats are dope. You must admit it.

She has great stage performance.

I hope to hear new material from M.I.A in the future.

faxman75
08-13-2008, 10:05 AM
She ruined every single one of her shows inviting the crowd on stage and wasting 20 minutes or more doing it.

zenidogx
08-13-2008, 10:07 AM
she has horrible fans. annoying fans. big douchey fans. i wanted to see her at coachella, but the tent was overcrowded with stupid.
so i enjoyed Arkon/ Family instead!

rage patton
08-13-2008, 10:07 AM
I gave her a chance live. She was horrible. It looked like the crowd was having a blast... but I just couldn't stand it. It didn't help that DJ Call Of Duty kept blasting those anoying gun shots either.

jigsaw
08-13-2008, 10:12 AM
It's suppose to be a party!

BlackSwan
08-13-2008, 10:21 AM
cue gun shots...

Newro7ic
08-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Where I'm from, the party is over once the guns start going off.

Never did like MIA. I doubt I ever will. However, I would be very surprised if she "retired".

slurpee
08-13-2008, 10:41 AM
I saw M.I.A. & Holy Fuck play in Chicago right after Coacehlla.

Most of the fans were jail bait dressed in outfits they wouldn't let their parents see.

The whole venue was jumping. It was a great time.

I thought ever liked "Paper Planes". It is so good they put it in the movie Pineapple Express. Yet, the song isn't actually played during the movie.

rage patton
08-13-2008, 10:48 AM
she has horrible fans. annoying fans. big douchey fans. i wanted to see her at coachella, but the tent was overcrowded with stupid.
so i enjoyed Arkon/ Family instead!

Wait, so not only did you choose to skip Kraftwerk in the first place... you didn't go watch them after you left MIA?

jigsaw
08-13-2008, 10:51 AM
When I saw MIA I didn't think there were too many gun shots but I was outta my mind. The next day my friends informed me of the "gun shots"...fuckin buzz killerzzzz

Not really though because no one could kill my buzz that night, I was flying high. I guess some of us mobbed the stage while others went to grab a bite to eat.

Boourns
08-13-2008, 11:55 AM
gunshots + cutsey Tamil Tiger cartoons + wardrobe designed by Stevie Wonder = $$$

paulb
08-13-2008, 11:57 AM
I wouldnt mind her being 100% done... shes come and gone.

faxman75
08-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Wait, so not only did you choose to skip Kraftwerk in the first place... you didn't go watch them after you left MIA?

I saw a little bit of kraftwerk. I simply love the sound of the main stage. It's sooo good. However, they could have been playing a soundtrack to my Atari 2600 games and I wouldn't have known any better. A couple guys standing on stage with laptops is hardly entertainment to me. Now, if I was on acid, i might have appreciated some of that brilliance.

Boourns
08-13-2008, 12:15 PM
But remember? Like PLO, she don't surrender.

Memorial_07
08-13-2008, 12:15 PM
I think I might see MIA tomorrow...

oh not the overrated female performer, the old punk band.

Who cares about her now?

rage patton
08-13-2008, 12:24 PM
I saw a little bit of kraftwerk. I simply love the sound of the main stage. It's sooo good. However, they could have been playing a soundtrack to my Atari 2600 games and I wouldn't have known any better. A couple guys standing on stage with laptops is hardly entertainment to me. Now, if I was on acid, i might have appreciated some of that brilliance.

I was on no sort of drugs or substances, and Kraftwerk were my favourite act of Coachella this year. I was excited to see them, but was expecting them to be slighly boring... but they blew me away. I can't quite put a finger of what it was, but perhaps that is why it was so amazing.

paulb
08-13-2008, 12:45 PM
i think it was the

MACHINE
MACHINE
MACHINE
MACHINE
MACHINE
MACHINE
MACHINE

musicfreak313
08-13-2008, 12:47 PM
It's weird that she's like I'm going to retire after tonight. I think she wants to keep herself alive?

rage patton
08-13-2008, 12:49 PM
i think it was the

MACHINE
MACHINE
MACHINE
MACHINE
MACHINE
MACHINE
MACHINE

That definately was a major part of it.

Boourns
08-13-2008, 12:49 PM
The Kraftwerk screen had more dead pixels than a brand new Nintendo DS.

Still awesome for us, but must suck for them because I bet it is hella expensive.

Memorial_07
08-13-2008, 01:33 PM
I was on no sort of drugs or substances, and Kraftwerk were my favourite act of Coachella this year. I was excited to see them, but was expecting them to be slighly boring... but they blew me away. I can't quite put a finger of what it was, but perhaps that is why it was so amazing.

I can say that I thought they would be really boring because they aren't upbeat, but their visuals were so stunning that may be it.
Thats a big part of why they were in my top 5 acts this year.

Only problem, the big black spot on the screen. That happened quite a bit this year. And it happened during Tiesto last year.
What the fuck was up with that?

rage patton
08-13-2008, 01:34 PM
I think during Kraftwerk, there was just an incredible vibe in the air. Everyone who felt the vibe "got it." I hate saying stuff like that, but I can't find any other words to describe it.

Memorial_07
08-13-2008, 01:40 PM
I think during Kraftwerk, there was just an incredible vibe in the air. Everyone who felt the vibe "got it." I hate saying stuff like that, but I can't find any other words to describe it.

Thats a good way to describe it.
Everyone was feeling it.
Even Danny Carey was feeling it.
I was standing right next to him...and he's a fucking prick.

zenidogx
08-13-2008, 01:42 PM

not my thing. neither is portishead. i saw the end of Portishead, sounded good. i saw the screens for Kraftwerk, looked pretty trippy.
MIA was overcrowded and Animal Collective were running late. I like Love is Simple so i watched Akron/ Family.
Akron/Family was excellent. great set. unfortunately, nobody was there. i think there was 4 rows of people at the beginning and maybe some more people showed up towards the end.

wow, flashbacks.

Boourns
08-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Akron/Family should have played at 2pm, not during fucking Portishead.

I wanted to see them.

rage patton
08-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Thats a good way to describe it.
Everyone was feeling it.
Even Danny Carey was feeling it.
I was standing right next to him...and he's a fucking prick.

Wait... Danny Carey was actually standing next to you? What did he do to be a prick?

Memorial_07
08-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Wait... Danny Carey was actually standing next to you? What did he do to be a prick?

Yup. During Kraftwerk's whole set.
He was hitting on way younger girls offering them vodka in a flask.
And after Kraftwerk was done. I went up to him and said "Hey your a huge influence on me as a drummer."
He said "Ok, whatever."

Wheres the beef?
08-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Yup. During Kraftwerk's whole set.
He was hitting on way younger girls offering them vodka in a flask.
And after Kraftwerk was done. I went up to him and said "Hey your a huge influence on me as a drummer."
He said "Ok, whatever."

So that makes him a prick? That's probably the thousandth time he heard that since he walked out his front door.

Boourns
08-13-2008, 03:11 PM
a simple thanks would suffice.

humanoid
08-13-2008, 03:29 PM
a simple thanks would suffice.

I usually refrain from making judgements about someone's character or personality based upon a random anecdote...who knows the truth of the circumstances surrounding the story? Maybe Danny Carey's girlfriend just told him she's faked every orgasm she's ever had, and the entire time she was fantasizing about his brother anyways...or maybe whoever approached him had been an obnoxious asshole the entire time, and Danny Carey noticed and was nice enough not to say, "hey, douchbag, shut the hell up!"

I'm making crap up now, but i think u know what I mean

maybe he is a prick? maybe not...maybe he's impatient waiting 14 years between records?

faxman75
08-13-2008, 03:29 PM
I would say "ok, whatever" as a response to a compliment makes you a prick.

humanoid
08-13-2008, 03:32 PM
I would say "ok, whatever" as a response to a compliment makes you a prick.

if all the circumstances surrounding the events were exactly how they were related, yes, you're right....

but, I've also personally witnessed many people approach celebrities in a manner that were less than cordial, were turned away, then that person told countless others, "----- is such an asshole"

I'm just saying, there are multiple sides to every story

Memorial_07
08-13-2008, 03:50 PM
So that makes him a prick? That's probably the thousandth time he heard that since he walked out his front door.

Yup and I made it 1,001.
And it makes him a prick because he had the most smug look on his face like he didn't give a fuck and he said it in the most unenthusiastic tone.

rskapcat
08-13-2008, 04:50 PM
I gave her a chance live. She was horrible. It looked like the crowd was having a blast... but I just couldn't stand it. It didn't help that DJ Call Of Duty kept blasting those anoying gun shots either.

~snort~ This made both me and the husband LOL. We didn't see her at Coachella because we were going to see her with Holy Fuck the weekend after. Between DJ Call Of Duty *giggle* and all the effing fans she pulled onstage, it was totally lame. Holy Fuck = great. MIA = suxxors. She sounds a billion times better on the stereo in my car.

Though the irony of a bunch of Bat for Lashes lookalikes shaking their asses onstage and singing along to "10 Dollar" was not lost on us. I would love to think that MIA was being subversive, but I seriously doubt she thought that hard about it.

"What can I get for 10 dollar? Anything you want!"

shakermaker113
08-13-2008, 09:09 PM
it's a shame MIA's coachella show was such a let down. (and now she'll never be mentioned on this board without people immediately jumping to kraftwerk). her shows in 2007 kicked so much ass. I really hope she records & tours more. but I feel like I'm a minority in saying that.

on the Kraftwerk note, I still haven't heard whether their 2008 set was any different from their 2004 one. anybody?

NiceArthur32
08-13-2008, 11:42 PM
please....

Please.....

PLEASE NO MORE PAPER PLANES!

please.

humanoid
08-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Rage, I don't know if you originated it, but DJ Call of Duty is absolutely hilarious!!