PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas on how to stop poverty

Roadkillhighway951
08-12-2008, 10:58 AM
yes folks, how can we rise to the occasion

Memorial_07
08-12-2008, 11:09 AM
take every celebrity and put a gun to their head and force them to donate to help.
but only if their an important celebrity.

Blinken
08-12-2008, 11:13 AM
You can not end poverty, there has always been poverty and always will be. The best we can do is to make it easier to live in poverty, with socialized medicine and better public services.

locachica73
08-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Some states have much better programs then others. I think it should be a country mandated thing though. When I lived in Oregon I had two baby's and had to get state assistance. Instead of just writing me a check every month they paid my daycare and gas money plus the normal living assistance so that I could go to school and learn a trade. As long as the program was finished by the time my youngest reached 1 year old they would pay for it (other then the student loans I had to take out). So I found a computer software/accounting program, finished in 8 months and was able to go out into the working world and make more then minimum wage. Here in Arizona they just keep feeding you a check if your on assistance with no solutions on how to get you off assistance. It just doesn't make any sense. And in order to qualify for any kind of assistance, even if it is supplemental in order for you to work and pay day care you have to make less then $25,000 a year with kids. Who the hell can live on that?

frozen pilgrim
08-12-2008, 11:21 AM
You can not end poverty, there has always been poverty and always will be. The best we can do is to make it easier to live in poverty, with socialized medicine and better public services.

bullshit. sorry.

if you precede that with "in capitalist society" then it's right on brother!

heh poverty is relative. when everyone lived outdoors, poverty in its modern sense did not exist. then people just plain starved.

bluemamba
08-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Tax the shit of tobacco and cigarette companies, celebrities, trillion dollar corporations etc etc etc.

Roadkillhighway951
08-12-2008, 11:29 AM
thanks for bursting my bubble blinken, what hope is there now

frozen pilgrim
08-12-2008, 11:34 AM
basically what we need is a communist-structed social infrastructure with a democratically elected government. look how fucking awesome sweden is. world-renowned health care, banks, winter athletes feared the world over- and they'll fucking pay you to move there.

Blinken
08-12-2008, 11:50 AM
ummmm, Sweden has a capitalist economy. They pay for their wonderful social programs through extremly high taxes.

They do have some government controlled industry but they are privatising more and more of it.

marooko
08-12-2008, 12:07 PM
yes, socialize medicine so we all suffer. its only fair.

marooko
08-12-2008, 12:10 PM
how about instead of taxes we teach people trades? or maybe we can just let them suffer their own consequences. you know, thin the heard.

whynotsmile99
08-12-2008, 09:13 PM
and they'll fucking pay you to move there.

is that true?!

whynotsmile99
08-12-2008, 09:26 PM
we need to add a baby tax already. That could help with some poverty

More than two kids? You pay an extra tax per kid every year till he or she is 18. Simple.
Want 5? want 6? if you can afford it do it, do it Can't afford it but still do it? IRS takes your shit.

If you are under 18 and have a kid, the parents of the kids who got knocked up will have to pay an extra high tax each year until the real parents turn 18.

fatbastard
08-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Education

Blinken
08-12-2008, 10:06 PM

More than two kids? You pay an extra tax per kid every year till he or she is 18. Simple.
Want 5? want 6? if you can afford it do it, do it Can't afford it but still do it? IRS takes your shit.

If you are under 18 and have a kid, the parents of the kids who got knocked up will have to pay an extra high tax each year until the real parents turn 18.

We can just do away with the tax deductions and have the same effect. It still would not work though. Poverty would increase in the shorterm and that would last for 25 years at least. (18 years to grow up and a 7 year range for changes in culture) then maybe it would go down, but you would have a drastic increase in abortations and abandoned babies.

To help ease the problems associated with poverty we need socialized healthcare. It will also help keep maufacturing jobs from going overseas, because the employers do not have to pay as much for healthcare. Alot of famlies get ruined by high healthcare costs, and if you already poor it is so much worse. Plus the poorer someone is the less likely it is to get preventative care, so it is much more expensive in the long run.

algunz
08-12-2008, 10:10 PM
We need to just shoot all the stupid people, or eat their children.

apostle2
08-12-2008, 10:22 PM
wow, this is going to make me specifically look like the poverty we are discussing...

seeing as how I am no longer a dependent or a full time student, I don't have health care. I just finally got a job out here, but because the industry can screw anyone they want, I don't have any benefits. so does anyone know any way of getting at least halfway decent healthcare?

greghead
08-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Thin the herd

All That I Am
08-12-2008, 10:31 PM
BTzNLhxPzjo

marooko
08-13-2008, 07:03 AM
that sucked. that was a waste of 104 seconds ill never get back. that is why i rarely watch these damn videos people post. no offense to you, ATIA.

Mr.Nipples
08-13-2008, 11:19 AM
graft your lower intestine to the lining of your esophogus, close the loop.

you can scratch off world hunger now

Memorial_07
08-13-2008, 11:23 AM

Baby tax?
Seems a bit cruel but if it can guarantee help with poverty than sure why not.

amyzzz
08-13-2008, 12:21 PM
The problem with limiting how many children people have is that violates our freedom as Americans. I personally think it would be a good idea, but there are so many religions (Catholicism, Mormons, etc) that believe God wants them to have as many children as possible -- a law limiting children would violate their religious freedom.

Memorial_07
08-13-2008, 01:34 PM
The problem with limiting how many children people have is that violates our freedom as Americans. I personally think it would be a good idea, but there are so many religions (Catholicism, Mormons, etc) that believe God wants them to have as many children as possible -- a law limiting children would violate their religious freedom.

and there is the con.
Good thing for me, I don't plan on having any kids.

marooko
08-13-2008, 01:44 PM
christians do not believe god wants them to have as many kids as possible.

stinkbutt
08-13-2008, 01:47 PM
christians do not believe god wants them to have as many kids as possible.

Catholics do though, or they don't believe in birth control which is basically the same thing.

marooko
08-13-2008, 02:02 PM
NO ITS NOT. DONT BE STUPID. oops, sorry. and catholics dont believe that either. (about the "as many kids as you can have")

stinkbutt
08-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Well the catholic school I went to was against birth control. Why do you think Mexicans and Micks have so many fuckin kids it's called catholicism

marooko
08-13-2008, 02:06 PM
they're not all catholic. and yes, no birth control. not have as many kids as you can.

stinkbutt
08-13-2008, 02:09 PM
I know they're not all catholic, but no birth control leads to tons of kids so yeah

I'm done

amyzzz
08-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Mormons actually do believe they should have a lot of kids so they can send them all off to be missionaries and spread their religion around (all young men around 19 are supposed to go off on a mission; the young women have the option of going but it is not mandatory as far as I know). I figured Catholics were similar--sorry. There is that "go forth and multiply" quote in the Bible.

marooko
08-13-2008, 03:21 PM
quote the entire passage and show me where it says endlessly or as much as possible.

humanoid
08-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Mormons actually do believe they should have a lot of kids so they can send them all off to be missionaries and spread their religion around (all young men around 19 are supposed to go off on a mission; the young women have the option of going but it is not mandatory as far as I know). I figured Catholics were similar--sorry. There is that "go forth and multiply" quote in the Bible.

there is a difference though, as Mormons are philosophically against relying on Govt. welfare and social programs. They have their own internal church welfare system in a specific attempt to not overtax public programs or rely on the govt. They don't preach "have as many kids as you can" either without recognizing the societal impacts of such a philosophy

humanoid
08-13-2008, 03:22 PM
We need to just shoot all the stupid people, or eat their children.

best idea yet

sikiboy
08-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Well the catholic school I went to was against birth control. Why do you think Mexicans and Micks have so many fuckin kids it's called catholicism

That catholic school you went to was probably linked with the Opus Dei (Opus Dei philosophy is that what ever happens it's God's wish)... so that is why they don't use birth control becuase if they end up pregnant, it's Gods wish...

Being rich is not having a lot of things... Being rich is about not having any shortages in your life...

amyzzz
08-13-2008, 04:00 PM
there is a difference though, as Mormons are philosophically against relying on Govt. welfare and social programs. They have their own internal church welfare system in a specific attempt to not overtax public programs or rely on the govt. They don't preach "have as many kids as you can" either without recognizing the societal impacts of such a philosophy
Ah yes, those "Deseret" places. I do actually like the Mormon idea of stocking up water/food/provisions in case of a disaster/Armageddon. My mother-in-law is trying to get us started on a disaster kit but so far all I have is 20 lbs of flour. I need to get some other stuff.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Free Trade backed by social safety nets to help those hurt by it....free trade...free trade...and social safety nets...there done...

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Education

and this helps out ALOT....actually add this to my duo list above...

jonnypark
08-13-2008, 07:02 PM
I think extremely slow and gradual institutional changes coupled with technological advances that make human exploitation unnessecary is the answer.

jonnypark
08-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Also : BONO!!!!